• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Really getting tired of the teabagging

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
I'm here to vent. Any keyboard warriors here want to lock this thread, go ahead.

The teabagging is like an all time high of douchebaggery I swear.

I'm fine with losing and trying to learn new ways to play by fighting tough opponents, but why the unsportsmanlike conduct? Is it necessary? Like do these guys have such an empty life that the only way to get aroused is to duck up and down quickly (teabagging) to be a **** to your opponent?

I always like to be courteous to my opponent, if he accidentally falls or kills himself, I'll jump off to make it even. Where is the friendly conduct anymore? It's just gaming in general too, and maybe the fact that I'm getting older. I'm just tired of it. Why can't we just be cool to each other anymore?

Sorry for this knee-jerk reaction post, I'm aware of the white - knights that will probably go against what I'm venting about.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
B-but teh crouchin iz so kool
You are right... I've swear I've only played douches in my lastest matches. There is also that Tag-cursing thing!!! You're winning, like 10 matches against the other guy and he says "USUCK". Is logic even a thing to some people?

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
I am the very neutral online player. Welcome to my world:
-Everything I do online is out of respect or consideration.
-When I crouch repeatedly in a quick fashion, I am not teabagging, I am BOWING to you. Usually in respect, or out of thankfulness for something. Or perhaps to acknowledge something particularly interesting or funny--it depends. I will not, however, go to the side where you have just died and crouch repeatedly, as that is pretty much blatant teabagging.
-When I taunt, I am letting you know that I am having a good time. It is not to insult you or demean you. In fact, when I taunt after a kill, I am not expressing my satisfaction in "owning" you, but rather my satisfaction that I was able to defeat you after such an intense fight--which pretty much means that you are GOOOOD.
-When I suicide twice right when the game starts, it is because I have forgotten to put my controls on. (my scheme is very different from the default at the moment so it's mostly unworkable, at least for a truly exciting match)
-If I suicide when you lose your first stock, it is because I feel like your death does not necessarily correlate to your skill, but rather to some sort of bug, glitch, or thing in the game that really shouldn't exist.

-If I DON'T suicide when you accidentally suicide, the message intend on sending is that: your death was a technical error, and should be treated as any other sort of death. I respect your mistake, and treat it as anything else you do in our battle. I also don't want you to feel bad if I do something dumb and you really don't want to suicide--I want you to respect that I MAKE MISTAKES and that you shouldn't have to compensate for my shortcomings--especially as my rival at the moment! (often times when I feel the other player's pain, I will jump off the stage and act as though I am going to suicide, as a sort of show of empathy. Or perhaps if I happen to be running off to the other side of the stage, and I notice that you're going to suicide, I will continue to run until I drop off the stage and fall as the game slows down because you fell first, and I am shown floating to my death as well. Basically signalling that such a thing could easily have happened to me as well and that although it most likely was your mistake to recover incorrectly, I do understand the feeling to an extent)
-If I stay one character for a long time even though you clearly aren't just sticking with your main (or maybe you're playing random), that means I'm really trying to work on one character and improve it as much as I can. I'm not necessarily try-harding or ignoring the fact that you're being a "fun" person and I seem quite serious. Sorry!
-If you're not moving at the beginning of a match, I always assume that you're AFK and that something popped up. I will always give you a good amount of time before rushing you to make sure we're ready to commence. I try not to shoot moves out/charge anything right at the beginning of the match because I don't know if you're REALLY ready to begin.

-I do try to say GG at least every other match, and will say GGs! every match so long as the other player does. However, if we're doing it, like, every match, and we're clearly taking the matches seriously and I'm really trying to beat you, sometimes I will get lazy and jump straight into the waiting lobby because I feel an intense need to fight you again, probably because I lost haha.
-When I smash with one player for a long time, I will often end our session with my nametag "ADIOSamigo!"
-When the other player does well, I will say things like "KEEPITUP!" or "U.R.GREAT!" or "Nice!" or ":)" with a nametag
-When I am saddened by something that has transpired in our game, I will change my nametag to something like ":(" or "Aw!"
-When something unbelievable, good or bad, has happened, "AW.SNAP!" or "DAYUM!" or "ommmggg" or "LOL" or "YEAAAHHHH"
-When something mildly interest has happened, "lel"
(One time, when this trolly player was saying things like "U SUCK" and "LMAO" and other various disrespectful things after beating me in one match, I used as many compliments as I could by changing my nametag, because, hey, they played well and I know that they're probably looking for a negative reaction, but I want them to know that smash players aren't sensitive little jerks and that many of us are chill and have a sense of humor)

So yeah, that's a good chunk of my online life mates. Hope some people gained some insight. I'm sure I'm not the only guy with similar online-smash ethics. They're pretty relatable, I'm sure.

Last edited:

LindenBree

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3411-0545-6776
When I first started Sm4sh online, tea bagging would really throw me off. Because, in Brawl, people would bob up and down if they wanted you to be an ally, or not fight.
Now, I'm not having this pacifist business in For Glory, but when I see someone make the bob offer, I'll try to gently attack them until they understand I want to fight. Idk, it feels very dickish to me to just whale on them when they're trying to make an offer :\
But no… in Sm4sh, it's tea bagging, not a peace offer. And this misunderstanding got me brutally beaten a few times before I figured it out xD

Anyway… it is pretty annoying. I especially hate it when they clearly won due to lag messing up my recoveries, and then tea bag and pose. Wow, great accomplishment there bud, your terrible connection defeated me.
Taunt spammers can make for funny moments though… such as "You'll never defeat me!" *Lucina is then KO'd*. If people are trying to mock you to be malevolent, like you said, their lives are probably just empty. If you can learn from them, that's all that matters. Keep calm and smash on B)

@ Flor@ Flor@ Hm, that actually is great insight. Especially about how you bob over something interesting or amusing. For me, I'll slowly turn in the direction that occurred, pause, then turn back around. I imagine it as the character staring and trying to take in what just happened. I never thought people would bob instead, but now I know some do!
I had also assumed that someone taunting after a very intense close fight was to further rub it in about how close I was. After reading your post, I'll try to view this in a different light.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
You all have had great things to say. Taunting is a part of the game, and I'm okay with that (for the most part).

I especially like what Flor@ had to say about using names to communicate friendly messages. I've had some great neck and neck battles that I'd like to communicate friendly messages towards.

Retro X

Smash Apprentice
NNID
uncorruptable
Usually if someone taunts after beating one of my joke characters I just switch to my main and whoop them, they seem to be a lot more respectful after that. Try to play safer and don't let them get to you, usually when a player is mad he/she will go for a lot of unsafe moves and play even worse, keeping your composer is important.

But pity sd-ing when your opponent sd's...that's a big no in my book. Never do that. Just encourages sloppy play, ik it's all for fun but you just can't do that. It's like if your opponent throws the ball out of bounds in basketball and you're like "that was a mistake, it's your ball still". People need to feel the humiliation of sd-ing so they are more motivated to discontinue that behavior.

If my opponent was so bad that I felt like taunting cause they were getting rekt so hard I would just leave the match or DC my ethernet cause it's quicker, waste of both of our time.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
It's entertaining when it's Kirby, Jigglypuff, or Game & Watch doing it. If for anything, their crouches make funny sounds.

It just looks stupid with everyone else. You can't really t-bag anyone in this game, because when someone is KO'ed there is no body left behind to t-bag.

I wouldn't think too much of it, or just do it back to them. I like to repeatedly crouch as Kirby because of the sound, not because I'm trying to disrespect my opponent.

Arrei

Smash Lord
It's entertaining when it's Kirby, Jigglypuff, or Game & Watch doing it. If for anything, their crouches make funny sounds.

It just looks stupid with everyone else. You can't really t-bag anyone in this game, because when someone is KO'ed there is no body left behind to t-bag.

I wouldn't think too much of it, or just do it back to them. I like to repeatedly crouch as Kirby because of the sound, not because I'm trying to disrespect my opponent.
I do that with Pikachu, as well. His bouncy sound effects are also why I like his crouch walk so much.

Why does everything we do have to get treated as some form of disrespect, to the point that people see teabagging in a game with no corpses to teabag? I don't "teabag", but whenever someone dies in a very bizarre or funny way, I walk up to the side and crouch there as if my character is looking over the edge going "What the heck...?" And now I get the feeling some people are going to think I'm teabagging them.

1FC0

Smash Lord
and maybe the fact that I'm getting older. I'm just tired of it.
I would say that getting older means that you are less bothered by this, since the older you are the more likely I would expect it to be that you have enough self control to be above tea bagging.

But I rarely tea bag. I prefer spamming uptilts since R.O.B.'s uptilt is pretty loud and makes him look like he is celebrating. I love celebrating owning my opponents like the noobs that they are! But tea bagging may be nice to start doing more too.

I do not know about other people but when I win or am doing good I often taunt a lot because it makes grinding through hoards of noobs more fun.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
First off, I crouch repeatedly sometimes just as a twitchy thing to do as my opponent respawns. It's not a disrespect thing.

Second of all, who cares? I've never really minded how rude my opponent was online. Just shake it off, man. If you let them get you on tilt, they've already won.

And if they don't, you can beat them and humble them.

Pride comes before the fall and all that.

Idk, just don't worry about it that much. I know it's weird to just say "don't let it get to you," since it's hard to just turn off emotional responses, but the fact that you do let it get to you is half of what fuels this kind of behavior. And ultimately, why does it matter so much to you if someone thinks they're better than you and consequently taunts because of it? If you think very critically about this, I think it will help you realize that it should not bother you.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I didn't even know you could tea-bag in smash
You can't, really. Unlike FPS games, there is no body left behind to disrespect, so you are just crouching repeadedly on the stage. But people see it as teabagging because its the same motion you see in FPSes.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
This used to be something that bothered me as well, especially because I play offline at a much higher level than I do online due to lag so losing online used to bother me a lot since I knew I could do better. To top that off, when a player taunted or "teabagged," it always came off as a sign of disrespect/arrogant showing off (This was mostly a response to any taunt since, hey, they're called taunts for a reason). That being said, I've made my peace with laggy online matches now and know that I'm just not as good online as I am offline and nothing will change that. In that sense, I just don't care about being beaten and taunted anymore because the online doesn't mean anything.

More to the point, attending as many offline tourneys as I have in the past few months has shown me a few things about this kind of behavior that people might find insightful.

1) I face a really skilled player on a regular basis who will, after KO'ing me, dash-dance, crouch-uncrouch, throw out attacks, etc. not as a form of disrespect but as a way to keep himself moving and keep him in the fast-paced mindset he needs in order to keep playing at a high level. For him, I imagine, staying still for any period of time will throw off his momentum. It's not disrespectful, it's actually a tactic that allows him to continue playing well.

2) Another player I face on a regular basis (While not so humble as some would like) taunts as often as he can after a KO with certain characters. In an online atmosphere, this is almost always a sign of disrespect (taunting once fine, but taunting as much as possible? Not so much). However, when I'm actually sitting next to him and he does this, he'll sometimes point at his character and laugh at how weird the taunt is. He did this a lot at a recent local tourney during friendlies where he played DHD whose taunts are, let's face it, hilarious. He also plays customs Donkey Kong (Love his confusion face). In this case, it's no disrespect (He'll trash talk if he wants to disrespect you), he's actually garnering entertainment out of seeing his character perform the taunt which can sometimes lead to the other player laughing at it too and puts both players in a carefree mood. This is similar, perhaps, to some responses that claimed they "teabag" with some characters because those characters have a funny-sounding crouch.

In conclusion, people do these kinds of things for different reasons and those reasons are not always out of disrespect for the other player. Some of these instances are but who are we to know? On the opposite side of a television, we're the ones that make the intent of the other player real, not them. Whether or not the other player intended to be disrespectful, look at this kind of behavior as a way to keep themselves in that fast-paced state of mind or laugh at their silly taunts as if they intended to do it to make you laugh because people do, in fact, do that for these reasons. So, since they can't make their true intentions known (except through name changes which is both clever and dangerous), why not see it as you want to see it? Imagine that all players just wanna make you laugh by using Mario's silly flippy taunt or Kirby's crouch sound and maybe we'll all have a better opinion of smashers in general.

K7Sniper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
K7Sniper
3DS FC
2595-1237-9071
Hell, I usually pop off a taunt if I do something pretty spectacular, but when you are playing 4-player matches you just set yourself up for getting hit hard.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Ow Ganondorf can because he gets on one knee
What a tall man :)

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Why is this a thread?
honestly I'm surprised that it isn't, like, a series of threads where everybody gets together and expresses their rage against other smashers, acting like everybody out there is a troll, and forming little smash groups by giving their friend codes/usernames/whatever so that they don't ever get trolled again.

But maybe YouTube comment sections are just that bad. I swear, the most... idiotic of comments get put up top there. And that's not the exception, it's the norm. But it also depends on the video, admittedly. Anyways yeah, you'd be surprised how many people out there are hurt by what other smashers do. Smash is life to many, and when they're insecure about having fun in smash with others, they tend to take things offensively. Hence my, and many others', posts explaining that hey, we're just trying to have a good time and, if anything, trying to have a laugh and let you have a laugh.

EDIT:
LindenBree said:
Hm, that actually is great insight. Especially about how you bob over something interesting or amusing. For me, I'll slowly turn in the direction that occurred, pause, then turn back around. I imagine it as the character staring and trying to take in what just happened.
this is gold btw hahah,

one thing that I'll do, with Dedede it's the best, is I'll quickly:
face right, duck, unduck, face left, duck, unduck, (rinse wash repeat)...
It's just something dumb that is entertaining to me that I hope the other player will appreciate.
Also, as Palutena I do this really weird walk where it sorta seems like she's floating left and right on the ground, since it's her slow walk animation and idk, it's hard to describe but to me it's hilarious and I love doing it after lulls in action in For Glory 1v1s haha

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Yes I can o.o Not sure what you are trying to say here.
FG 1v1 has a taunt limit. Sometimes I do things like knock opponent off stage -> taunt -> edgeguard -> taunt -> edgeguard etc.
Then when I kill the poor scrub my taunts are sometimes already gone so I need other methods to taunt.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I am the very neutral online player. Welcome to my world:
-Everything I do online is out of respect or consideration.
-When I crouch repeatedly in a quick fashion, I am not teabagging, I am BOWING to you. Usually in respect, or out of thankfulness for something. Or perhaps to acknowledge something particularly interesting or funny--it depends. I will not, however, go to the side where you have just died and crouch repeatedly, as that is pretty much blatant teabagging.
-When I taunt, I am letting you know that I am having a good time. It is not to insult you or demean you. In fact, when I taunt after a kill, I am not expressing my satisfaction in "owning" you, but rather my satisfaction that I was able to defeat you after such an intense fight--which pretty much means that you are GOOOOD.
-When I suicide twice right when the game starts, it is because I have forgotten to put my controls on. (my scheme is very different from the default at the moment so it's mostly unworkable, at least for a truly exciting match)
-If I suicide when you lose your first stock, it is because I feel like your death does not necessarily correlate to your skill, but rather to some sort of bug, glitch, or thing in the game that really shouldn't exist.

-If I DON'T suicide when you accidentally suicide, the message intend on sending is that: your death was a technical error, and should be treated as any other sort of death. I respect your mistake, and treat it as anything else you do in our battle. I also don't want you to feel bad if I do something dumb and you really don't want to suicide--I want you to respect that I MAKE MISTAKES and that you shouldn't have to compensate for my shortcomings--especially as my rival at the moment! (often times when I feel the other player's pain, I will jump off the stage and act as though I am going to suicide, as a sort of show of empathy. Or perhaps if I happen to be running off to the other side of the stage, and I notice that you're going to suicide, I will continue to run until I drop off the stage and fall as the game slows down because you fell first, and I am shown floating to my death as well. Basically signalling that such a thing could easily have happened to me as well and that although it most likely was your mistake to recover incorrectly, I do understand the feeling to an extent)
-If I stay one character for a long time even though you clearly aren't just sticking with your main (or maybe you're playing random), that means I'm really trying to work on one character and improve it as much as I can. I'm not necessarily try-harding or ignoring the fact that you're being a "fun" person and I seem quite serious. Sorry!
-If you're not moving at the beginning of a match, I always assume that you're AFK and that something popped up. I will always give you a good amount of time before rushing you to make sure we're ready to commence. I try not to shoot moves out/charge anything right at the beginning of the match because I don't know if you're REALLY ready to begin.

-I do try to say GG at least every other match, and will say GGs! every match so long as the other player does. However, if we're doing it, like, every match, and we're clearly taking the matches seriously and I'm really trying to beat you, sometimes I will get lazy and jump straight into the waiting lobby because I feel an intense need to fight you again, probably because I lost haha.
-When I smash with one player for a long time, I will often end our session with my nametag "ADIOSamigo!"
-When the other player does well, I will say things like "KEEPITUP!" or "U.R.GREAT!" or "Nice!" or ":)" with a nametag
-When I am saddened by something that has transpired in our game, I will change my nametag to something like ":(" or "Aw!"
-When something unbelievable, good or bad, has happened, "AW.SNAP!" or "DAYUM!" or "ommmggg" or "LOL" or "YEAAAHHHH"
-When something mildly interest has happened, "lel"
(One time, when this trolly player was saying things like "U SUCK" and "LMAO" and other various disrespectful things after beating me in one match, I used as many compliments as I could by changing my nametag, because, hey, they played well and I know that they're probably looking for a negative reaction, but I want them to know that smash players aren't sensitive little jerks and that many of us are chill and have a sense of humor)

So yeah, that's a good chunk of my online life mates. Hope some people gained some insight. I'm sure I'm not the only guy with similar online-smash ethics. They're pretty relatable, I'm sure.
I'm going to save this as a text file for future use. Seriously, nail on the head in terms of online conduct.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Wait, people take the crouching up and down as tea bagging? I do it all the time to show I'm not taking things seriously (as I HATE taunting, see my Taunting thread in the main Gen forum.) I wasn't aware it meant like that you're doing some Halo teabagging nonsense.

I do it to show I really don't care and I'm not taking things seriously. I main Bowser, so I'll also crouch walk forward and in reverse too showing I'm just f*cking around. Now I feel like I was coming off like a d-bag every time I did the repeated crouching.

Then again, my username is also "NoTryHrd" (no try hards) so if you're going to do anything to win and take the game 110% super cereal doing any cheap tactic for a win, I don't want to play against you to begin with, so.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
People do that because people like you start playing even more poorly because of your rage when they do it.

If you seriously think someone is disrespectful for such a small thing then you are way too sensitive.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Then again, my username is also "NoTryHrd" (no try hards) so if you're going to do anything to win and take the game 110% super cereal doing any cheap tactic for a win, I don't want to play against you to begin with, so.
Not good enough for competitive play?
Cheap tactics do not exist, mate. OP or not OP, that is the question. If you cannot beat a Kirby spamming Rocks then maybe you should try practising against them instead of running before you label it cheap.

Last edited:

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Not good enough for competitive play?
Cheap tactics do not exist, mate. OP or not OP, that is the question. If you cannot beat a Kirby spamming Rocks then maybe you should try practising against them instead of running before you label it cheap.
Cheap tactics do exist and they exist in every game, not just Smash. I'm not talking about being outplayed. Minimal/lazy effort and maximum return is what I consider cheap. Me doing Bowsercide off the ledge every round just to win will get me a win, but it's cheap, and a d*ckhead move. That's not the mentality I have as a player so I don't play competitive where the attitude is "do ANYTHING to win". And of course that's the mentality, these people depend on that money to live, but like anything in life, once you start to involve money, you see the snakes come out.

But that's another thread and another show.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Cheap tactics do exist and they exist in every game, not just Smash. I'm not talking about being outplayed. Minimal/lazy effort and maximum return is what I consider cheap. Me doing Bowsercide off the ledge every round just to win will get me a win, but it's cheap, and a d*ckhead move. That's not the mentality I have as a player so I don't play competitive where the attitude is "do ANYTHING to win". And of course that's the mentality, these people depend on that money to live, but like anything in life, once you start to involve money, you see the snakes come out.

But that's another thread and another show.
How is Bowsercide a **** move? It is hard to land, requires you to have more damage, and only works on the opponents last stock to win, or Bowser will lose a stock as well. If you lose to a Bowsercide then you probably got outplayed. Accepting that instead of searching for excuses is the first step to discovering how bad or hard to use those "cheap" tactics actually are against a player that has at least decent skill.

And the "do anything to win" mentality is not for money, but for fun. If playing with the "do anything to win" mentality makes people win without skill, then who would ever want to host or spectate a tourney? Who wants to spectate or host a tourney of a game where a bunch of noobs without skill compete with cheap tricks that anyone can use? Only because competitive Smash leads to a diverse , interesting, and balanced metagame where people need skill to win are people interested in hosting and watching Smash tourneys.

So in short, people do not play with the "do anything to win" mentality because there is money on the line, but there is money on the line because the "do anything to win" mentality leads to fun and interesting games.

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
They "teabag" and do other silly stuff because it's the internet, and the majority of the time they can get away with it, some people will do it for other reasons, since nintendo has poor commucation in-game. you will never know their true intentions unless they obviously show it through a name change.

You should not get mad at everyone who does this, what looks like to you won't look the same to them. keep a cool head, if you don't like it, then you can always leave and play someone else.

Wolfen McGunz

Smash Cadet
People do that because people like you start playing even more poorly because of your rage when they do it.

If you seriously think someone is disrespectful for such a small thing then you are way too sensitive.
Well they also do that on the matches I end up winning - which in turn is the most satisfying thing ever.

I'm being sensitive? Well people are wired differently. I just think it's uncalled for.

TheDankbanker

Smash Rookie
Instead of rapidly crouching with Jigglypuff, I just hold down crouch.
It makes her look like the dumbest four-legged pancake abomination to ever grace video games.

Last edited:

BeatNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
BeatNinja
3DS FC
0473-8305-4122
I'm going to save this as a text file for future use. Seriously, nail on the head in terms of online conduct.
Definitely, I feel like FG should have some sort of polite etiquette so people don't get their pants in a bundle because some dude insulted their mother. I run into some truly rude people every so often that make me smirk and roll my eyes, but the sweethearts who compliment my play and are respectful make it all worth while.

MaxBowser

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I doubt the vast majority of people who teabag are being intentionally disrespectful. I like to do it because I think it's hilarious, especially if it's Ganondorf or Game & Watch. But knowing people might get offended and sign off on me, I usually only do it if my opponent does it first. Then I go ham.

Btw, to the OP, I respect you for being a Wolf fan. He's right up there with Bowser for me!

Top Bottom