• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official (Read OP) DeDeDe Tour! Community MU Analysis

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
To me this is our second worst matchup, only one worse is zero suit which we just discussed.

The thing with Sonic is he can spin dash up air combo, retreat, then repeat the whole match. And there's very little Dedede can do about it. He can camp Dedede to death this way. To beat a good Sonic you have to make incredibly good reads because Sonic has complete control of the pace and the flow of the match. Sonic's speed makes your window for punishing very short.

Ftilt is very helpful as it outprioritizes Spin Dash. One big problem though is spin dashes to the face, which go over Ftilt. Good shielding is critical. Follow up with grabs. Dsmash is important as well. One tactic I've found very useful is since Sonic's spin dash combo is so predictable that if you can air dodge the upair after you get hit with the initial spindash, it's often possible to punish with an upair.

Even though Sonic can combo us like crazy I do think this is more winnable than Zero Suit because Sonic has bad range and no projectile. And while Zero Suit's boost jump can kill Dedede under 90%, Dedede lives much longer against Sonic, especially after the last patch nerfed Sonic's kill throw.

Sonic can play the match on his terms since he can run away from any effort from Dedede to approach. That gives him a big advantage. Dedede is going to have to make excellent reads and either get lucky or show quite a bit more skill than the Sonic player to win. Problem is a good Sonic isn't going to leave many, if any windows for Dedede to punish.

To me, this matchup is :4sonic:65::4dedede:35

This and zero suit samus are the only two matchups where if I run into them in a tournament I'm always using a character who isn't Dedede.

Last edited:

BlackPhantom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-9082-0822
Personally, I eat KD3.
First, you wanna know how spindash and spincharge work. Spindash does more damage and has a hop at the beginning, while spincharge is faster and the better put of the two for this MU.

Next, you wanna know his options.
Spindash into aerial- This spindash option is off a hit confirm of the initial spindash. It is punishable if you hold shield and hit them with a bair right after.
Spindash into nothing- When a sonic does this, he is left at a weird diagonal angle that isn't favorable for him. Keep in mind he still has his double jump.
Spindash into spring-This option is used when sonic doesn't get a hit confirm and knows you like to jump out of shield to punish. At mid percents and up, the spring has enough hitstun to keep you from punishing his landing completely. The best option in that situation is shield the spring.
Spindash into retreating double jump- This option is the hardest to punish and is used to footstool if he does hit, or retreat almost safely when he doesn't. You just really have to read when he does it.

Now that you know his options out of spindash, the only thing left to do is worry about his speed.

Sonic has the speed to punish anything from across the stage so making mistakes won't help you in this MU. I don't know what moves KD3 have that are safe, but those are the moves you wanna throw out. F-tilt is golden against spindash, but get predictable and we can just cancel spin and punish you.

One thing you should know is KD3 beats sonic in the air easily in terms of priority and range. So in this MU focus on getting him in the air and juggling him.

Honestly, I give this MU a 65:35 in sonic's favor, just because sonic runs circles around KD3 and can give him a really hard time.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
After playing a bunch of sets versus our very own shroobert, I think we got some valuable insight.

Granted, it was wifi and probably our first time playing the match-up at this level, I think we got some useful information.

The hardest thing for D3 to deal with in this match-up is landing and Gordo throws, imo.

D3 has a lot of jumps, but because of his slow aerial movement and Sonic's ground speed, he can pretty easily be followed. D3's best bet is to try to land a Nair or B-Reverse inhale (if you want to get fancy). Also, due to the nature of D3's Up-B, Sonic can pretty easily camp it out and punish if you don't go for the ledge. Stages like Lylat and Duck Hunt are really advantageous for us.

Sonic has trouble punishing well spaced Ftilts, jabs, and things of that nature. If we're on the ground, you can't really afford to toss out unsafe options as Sonic can shield, run, and punish accordingly, but well placed hammers are effective. D3's jab alone I think beats out spins and sucks us into the hits.

D3 is a pretty large juggle target. Uair, Bair, etc. are all really effective. It's also easy to combo soft hit Nairs into other things against him. Nair > Grab, Nair>Jab, etc. At mid percents, Nair can pop up into more Nairs, Uairs, Bairs...

D3 is good at this too though. His Nair pops us up for more Nairs or Bairs, and D3's Bair will kill super early.

Gordo throws... Should only really be used for reads or landing punishes. A grounded Sonic can handle Gordos so effectively. Jabs, tilts, and the like are obvious enough, but spin dash and spin charge bounce them back too... So imagine a Sonic blasting into your space with your very own Gordo being reflected back at you as well. That's two fast spinning balls coming right at you.

However, Sonic's landing options aren't the best either, so baiting us out as we try to land with Gordos is effective as it can force an airdodge. We only have Fair to protect us from the front, and each hit only does fractions of damage, so even if we hit it, the Gordo can go through and hit us. Nair is also multihit, so if we mistime it, we get hurt by Gordo anyway. Using Gordo in that situation is effective, but not once we have our footing.

Sonic can edgeguard and juggle D3 pretty well, all-in-all. D3's biggest advantages will be trying to outspace and kill Sonic early with his power and camping our landings. Doing anything unsafe gets punished pretty hard.

I want to say 60:40 Sonic's favor, as I don't have enough practice to say 65:35. Most of my games with shrooby doo went to the last stock, so it's not completely ridiculous. D3 still has range and KO power to put in work, but overall I think Sonic wins this one.

:093:

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So after doing some matches with Camalange I don't think the match-up is that bad.

Even though we're big and heavy, we don't get comboed with upairs as easily as other phat characters since we're pretty floaty and have multiple jumps. It's still pretty bad, but not terrible.
Unless you're @ Camalange Camalange and you get an stupid upair right at the top blast zone and kill me at 30% :mad088:

Sonic is like Sheik (at least to us) in that he has no trouble wracking up a lot of percent. Unlike Sheik, though, he can actually kill us effectively. Doesn't help that most of his best kill moves are more horizontal-based, so our great vertical survivability isn't as useful here.

So Gordos... Yeah, they're great when Sonic is airborne, but when he's on the ground, at basically any range, they're not very safe.

It's very important to respect Sonic's ability to punish just about any whiffed grounded attack you do. Do not throw movements out recklessly. Try to stay read-and-react when playing. 'Cause ftilt and jab (sorta) are good at keeping Sonic out. Just don't throw them out unless you're confident Sonic is coming towards you because unless you actually hit him it's unsafe.
We also do well against Sonic in the air. The issue is that it's hard to force a situation where it's Sonic who's in the unfavorable position in the air.

The match-up is a big mind game in Sonic trying to get you to play his game. 'Cause once you start flinching and start making bad calls, you get wrecked. Don't let Sonic get inside your head.
I found that when I just sorta slowed down, didn't try to force things, tried a bit of platform camping (lol), I did better. It's important to respect Sonic's ability to control the ground and just accept that you'll have to play quite differently.
For example landing on-stage safely is close to impossible unless you get a hard read. I usually went to the ledge to try and reset the situation.

It's not as bad as Zero Suit imo. At least based on what I've observed.

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
And that concludes Sonic discussion.
Not completely miserable, right guys? :4dedede:
It's definitely tough, but not impossible.
Final rating: :4sonic: 65:35 :4dedede:

And next we're discussing Diddy Kong... Again!

Did the patch change that much of how we fare in this match-up? Let's find out...

Discuss! :4diddy:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I'm not going to do any in-depth analysis right now, but I think most of what applied before save hoo-hah still applies...just generally less so.

Lack of hoo-hah is big though. We live longer.

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
Haven't played a decent Diddy post patch, so no comment here. Living longer would be nice though.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
To me, Diddy post-nerf reminds me a lot of :4pikachu: in that he is fast, has a good projectile but has trouble killing. Diddy still can combo Dedede like crazy and peanuts means we can't abuse gordo.

Diddy still has an advantage since he controls neutral, can combo Dedede like crazy and shut down gordo, but now because of the nerf that allows Dedede to live so much longer he's not as bad of a matchup. Before the nerf I would have said 65-35.

I've played many matches against a very good tourney player who mains Diddy pre-nerf, but have only for glory experience post-nerf. But I can say confidently that there's no way this matchup is as bad as Sonic or Zero Suit now. But to me because of peanuts shutting down gordo abuse I feel Diddy is still more dangerous than Shiek. I'm going to say -

:4diddy:60: 40 :4dedede:

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Strangely enough, all the Diddys in my area just vanished after the patch. I wonder why.

Nonetheless I'm reserving this post for when I do get to play a few to list my thoughts.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Jaysus, Triple D looks like a pimp. It's a pimp hammer! :laugh:

All credit goes to Quas-quas.

Anyway, the Falco boards started their ongoing Triple D matchup discussion and would love to have the king's input. Drop in whenever: http://smashboards.com/threads/ssb4-falco-matchup-discussion-36-king-dedede-free-as-a-bird.403628/.

And if you want to spar with Falco players to learn about the MU or just to have fun, check this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/anyone-want-to-exchange-nnids-or-friend-codes.386513/.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Welp...

I'm just gonna discount this and keep the old scoring.
If I had more time during weekdays I would've offered my own thoughts to try and get things goin', but...
ah well.

:yoshi: "Yoshi!"

The trusted dino steed has received quite a few buffs this time around, to say the least?

Just how much does that mean for us? Let's find out.

Discuss! :4yoshi:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Triple D, he's unlike an other heavy. His projectile is a nuisance if used right and Yoshi can't really clobber him as badly as he can the other heavies.

That Super Dedede Jump prevents gimps and can spike us good... DDD has to be on constant alert so that he doesn't get kicked and whacked around from Yoshi's immensely mobile aerial game. (The best air speed vs the worst air speed) Triple D has better range though and can REALLY put the hurt on us if we don't stay on our toes.

DDD's up air beats out everything in Yoshi's arsenal when he's above you. His n-air also can stomp Yoshi out. Everything else is kinda slow and easily avoidable...
DDD hits hard enough to take away our double jump easily and THAT IS SCARY!

Yoshi won't be killing DDD until the high 100's (possibly 200s) whereas Yoshi will die at 120ish from the D-meister. So you guys have the durability advantage too.
Yoshi however, has the speed to wiggle in and out of DDD's attacks with efficiency.....

BEWARE OUR EGGS! They will knock your Gordo's away as soon as you toss em and hit you before you can react. As well as juggle you till the cows come home. NEVER THROW A GORDO UNLESS YOU ARE SURE IT WILL HIT US OR YOU KNOW YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO DODGE IT.

With all that being said, I'd say it's a even MU or 55-45 in Yoshi's favor.

Last edited:

ividal

Smash Cadet
pretty much what drag just said, i also have to add that it is kind of hard for us yoshi's to juggle DDD cuz of his quick Nair, and its also his best way to land when in the air because of his low end lag, gordos are also quite annoying but an egg should help the yoshi to keep DDD from using his own projectile.

I think this is a MU in yoshi's favor, 55-45 or even 60-40, but thats my opinion

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
buzzer sounds

I disagree. Emphatically. This MU is 60:40 (arguably close to 70:30) in Yoshi's favor. It's definitely not close to even.

Like, seriously. A competent Yoshi is going to have control of neutral nearly all the goddamn time. His b-reversed egg lays, his grab range (seriously, it's Melee Marth range in this game, I almost always get caught off-guard), his aerial mobility, his segues into smooth normals like his jabs and his tilts from the air...Yoshi makes D3 regret pressing any buttons (yes, including that "speedy" 9 frame nair of his). Surviving to high percentages is beans when Yoshi can just keep tacking on damage to a point where just about anything from his kit can kill you. And even if you do manage to press an advantage, you have to respect Yoshi even then---he's only a DJ away from breaking it off from being at a disadvantage and resetting the situation again (possibly to his favor, no less).

Eggs are also a problem in this MU. Sure, they got nerfed in the trajectory department somewhat from other Smash games, but they still cover D3's limited and linear aerial movement very well. As the other two Yoshis in the thread mentioned, eggs are also a huge asset in keeping D3 honest with his Gordos---you definitely cannot get away with chucking them at Yoshi out of a neutral state, or from when he's far away. A well-placed Egg Toss means he's gonna get free damage on you or an advantageous approach from your Gordo Toss.

As far as advice in this MU for my D3 brethren? In my experience, yes, getting Yoshi above you is a good idea. Uair is godlike for handling just about anything above you in this game. Abuse the hell out of it. Nothing Yoshi has can beat it. When you're not that high in the sky and Yoshi is flitting above you, stay grounded, and try and powershield Yoshi's attempts at hitting you so you can follow-up quickly. Dtilt, ftilt, and even grabbing the damn dino from this helps (unlike him, we do have amazing rewards for landing grabs in this MU, so grabs are definitely a good idea). When you're both in the air, challenge him with aerials like bair or fair at max range to reduce the likelihood of a trade---you don't want Yoshi trading with you, especially with stuff like his nair. Speaking of which, be wary of the DJ armor---savvy Yoshis will use it to save their hides and/or make an exchange result in a trade in their favor. However, it is damage, and as long as you have the presence of mind, capitalizing on it is very doable. Oh, and shielding Eggs or airdodging them works on approach, just watch out for the follow-ups after the Eggs. Again, it's the innate mobility of Yoshi's in the air that makes him so dangerous and control so much in this MU.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
This is such a weird matchup, it's no surprise that people are having different ideas.

D3 cancels out Yoshi's aerial game somewhat, and can destroy his super armor.

Yoshi makes D3 have to be very honest with his Gordos, and can keep him in a near constant state of damage, somewhat canceling out his silly level of survivability (but not completely).

Overall, we have two characters who are almost opposites canceling out each others greatest strengths. So what does that leave? Well, pure Smash without...too many tricks. It becomes a simple "who can get to kill percent faster and get a kill move off?" And honestly, I think it could be either. But I think Yoshi has a slightly easier time. We kill earlier, but he has the damage dealing advantage. If we give him any space, he gains the advantage.

I think playstyle can make a big difference here, and might effect the matchup pretty strongly. Strangely, I think D3 is best on offense here, at least from my experience. Yoshi out defends us, so we have to be the one getting the initiative and starting the clobbaing. And you know, we're pretty good at that, actually. Not as much as defending, but...

Anyway, assuming you're a D3 using a weird offensive playstyle. I'd say...

55:4yoshi::45:4dedede:

As a general tip, focus on getting him in the air, keep in his face, and don't be afraid to hit him while he's got his armor.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The only problem I have with Yoshi is getting egg-pooped off of the edge of the stage. I have no trouble breaking out of this on the ground, but for some reason I can't in the air.

Where am I going wrong, here?

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
You fall much faster when you are pooped out in the air I think. Past 150 % is pretty much instant death via egg lay offstage

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks for that - I've never been gotten in mid-air above solid ground, yet, so I didn't know about the falling speed thing. :)

Though, I am encountering that "pretty much instant death" thing before 150%, which is why I'm assuming I'm making errors somewhere.

Last edited:

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
Doesn't DDD have the fastest fall speed? That might be the reason you are dieing sooner.....
EDIT: Yes, the falling speed of your character does affect how fast you fall in the egg. So DDD falls super fast and someone like jigglypuff falls much slower.

Last edited:

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I'm honestly gonna have to go with 65:35 for this one, Yoshi can space D3 hard with Eggs, he has extremely good and quick ariels such as UAir and Nair, great out of shield options, and is pretty heavy. His fair works really well against D3 off stage, making yoshi somewhat tuff to deal with when trying to get back to the stage, plus eggs. B reverse neutral b can be at times really unpredictable and hard to avoid. You really have to outplay him, and get a lot of grabs. If he's offstage always make sure to edge guard him with Gordo, maybe fair him or try to go for a spike off stage, though his fair is a big threat off stage. I feel this match up improves slightly with customs, as Taste test is just an amazing move and landing option in this MU and in general, hard to predict and a lot safer than normal inhale. Yoshi also does not have many good customs at all. Jab-Jab into grab or down smash, and f-tilts also work well in general and in this MU. overall a pretty hard MU, and I forgot to mention down air can do up to 30 % damage on Dedede, make sure you shield it as it's very punishable, but has high reward for Yoshi damage wise.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Don't thrown eggs reflect Gordos? If so that's a big plus.

DragN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jjaneck1
3DS FC
3523-2929-6445
[quote/], post: 19263374, member: 301938"]Don't thrown eggs reflect Gordos? If so that's a big plus.[/quote]
Yes. Thrown eggs reflect Gordos

Last edited:

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Yoshi isn't a great matchup, I don't see any way D3 has the edge. Yoshi can abuse D3 in the air. Eggs allow him to control neutral and shut down gordos.

D3 can make some nasty punishes by shielding well and grabbing. Up air is a big asset here as others pointed out. Beats everything Yoshi has.

There's no way it can be worse than 60:40 though for D3 since Sonic was voted at 65:35. No way Yoshi is as bad a matchup for D3 as Sonic. Yoshi is a pain and has the edge, but it's a very winnable matchup in my opinion. There's nothing Yoshi can do that makes D3 winning hopeless here. Yoshi can't really camp and has limited range other than eggs.

As D3 like all other matches play smart, abuse Ftilt and Upair. Shield well and get grab combos when you can. I don't see how this is anywhere nearing unwinnable for D3. There's nothing Yoshi does that shuts down D3. I don't see how it can be any worse than:

60 :4yoshi::40:4dedede:

That's what I'm going with. I don't think either character necessarily counters the other one. Yoshi is just an overall better character. As is often the case, D3's slowness and big hitbox leave him behind in this matchup. His weaknesses are just bigger than Yoshi's.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Breathing on gordos hits them back. Like most heavies Match ups for Yoshi, it's honestly just playing careful in the air against em while juggling like no tomorrow once you get a hit confirm off a neutral B or Utilt.

All the people saying his aerial game is shutdown or D3's range is huge and can break our double jump armor. Stop trying to challenge their stuff.
Here's something, Bowser DK and D3 Uair beats a downb attempt if we're above them cause it outranges us, they won't get hit prolly 7/10 times based on timing. All three have a command grab or a move to easily break his DJ armor so again, more reason not to challenge em in the air or offstage. (especially offstage)

You have no reason to challenge em in the air if you're above them, just get back on the ground and press your advantage by throwing em around like a ragdoll. We rack up damage insanely fast against em cause their huge bodies allows us to almost always get the 33% from Dair, especially against someone like D3.
This isn't some slight advantage or huge disadvantage MU, D3 is slow heavy and can't get in, but he at least has high damage output if he miraculously gets a chain of hits in and I think Dthrow to fair is a thing for him. Is Utilt still stupid good like brawl or no?
Yoshi can play the keep away game to slowly tack on % or be aggressive as hell and just punish with tilts to double/triple Uair's or if they're shield happy than neutral B juggling.

60:40 prolly

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
:4yoshi:vs Soot :4dedede:

While D3 is a big target, I wouldn't say that Yoshi is his worst MU. I agree that it is in yoshi's favor and I would put it at -1 (possibly -2) for the penguin. In the set I posted above, in game 1 & 3 (ignore game 2 villager), both matches were extremely close.

What D3 is at somewhat disadvantaged for his big body, he makes up for it with an amazing lingering projectile and he has setups with his Dthrow (see 1:27). His weight is also worth noting because he can live for a long, long time. In both games I was unable to close out the last stock, especially in game 3 where not even rage could help me.

D3 does not have stellar OoS options like yoshi does, but his dtilt is deceptively quick and his jabs+ftilt have a considerable range. Dthrow to fair can rack up percentage reliably, and you can even go for dthrow -> uair at kill percents.

Eggs are annoying for D3, but the good old run up shield works wonders for him. Gordo is a strong projectile due to the fact that it can be angled to change its trajectory and speed, which will keep any opponent on their toes whether to hit it back or just avoid it with a shield/dodge. Of course, watch out and throw the gordos with calculation, a simple egg toss or nair may send it flying back at you. Adding to that, with rage (which D3 will likely have due to his staying power), gordos can kill!

I'm not too experienced with D3's customs, but his UpB with the hitbox makes it difficult for yoshi to edgeguard, and has gotten me stage spiked a couple times lol.

In closing, I think its a good idea to keep yoshi above you and to use gordos intelligently. It may be a tough MU for you D3 mains, but I believe you guys have the tools to win.

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
Oh man, I could talk about this match up for days. I play it really often, as the guy I train with mains Yoshi.

First of all, I want to say that I personally find this to be a really, really rough match up. In general, I feel like Yoshi is faster, has better zoning and can rack up damage much quicker than Dedede. In the hands of a skilled player, Yoshi is a blizzard of hitboxes and nose slams, and it's really tough to force the match into your favour.

There are a couple of key things to watch out for. NAir stuffs most of D3's moves and sends Gordos right back at head height. Short hop NAir can punish misspaced FTilts. Utilts combo D3 for days. DAir tends to hit for max damage on the regular - watch out for it being used to cover D3's get up from the ledge. D3's huge frame means that FAir can come out of nowhere and dunk you for an earlier kill. Egg Toss is a better projectile than Gordo in basically every way, and will make approaching difficult and zoning with Gordos basically impossible.

It's not all bad - D3's UAir stuffs pretty much everything Yoshi has from above. DAir can get some surprise kills thanks to the nature of Yoshi's recovery. Yoshi is surprisingly heavy, but D3's power still means that generally D3 will last longer, which means plenty of rage to play with, which is always nice. If you can avoid getting dunked with FAir or battered with UAir Yoshi will struggle to kill at all.

Really though, this match is horrendous. It's possibly my least favourite apart from Sonic. Yoshi is fast and incredibly damaging, and just makes D3 sad in the face. :4yoshi:70-30:4dedede: for me. Maybe :4yoshi:65-35:4dedede:

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yoshi's my pocket character, and my friend plays DDD. I don't think this matchup is great for DDD, but then again, I don't think very many matchups are great for DDD. Like with Ganon, you have to be patient, commit to nothing, try to bait reactions and maintain stage control. Use gordos sparingly, and stay on the stage to ledge-guard instead of trying to go deep. Basically, if you play perfect, throw out virtually no moves, and are against an aggressive Yoshi, you can go even.

But if Yoshi is just as patient or more patient than you, it's going to be harder to make good use of your rage.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
and Yoshi is done!
Quite the differing set of opinions. And informative! I like it!
Let's keep this going, then, as we move move onto the Captain, shall we?
Let's show him our moves. Sorry not sorry

Discuss! :4falcon:

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
I am rather late with joining the DeDeDe forums, but i feel as though i have used the penguin enough to give my say

Captain falcon is as a oddball, they never seem to rush in like they would with any other opponent, they also don't relay on the infamous down air for early KO's as D3's up air completely stops the attack (Thank God) D3 also can use the Gordo to stop falcons recovery as grab hit boxes are of course useless against the Gordo, That being said i don't think this is in D3's favor at all similar to characters like sonic and fox D3 has to make sure that every attack keeps him safe from punish and rush down as there is little he can do in situations like that. Falcons dash grab is extremely hard to avoid when timed correctly and falcons Knee of justice and kill us at around 70% (at edge of course) and is really easy to hit due to D3's size (seriously I've never been sour spotted by a knee in smash 4 with D3 ever)

i will not give a personal match-up yet until i have a play the match-up more, but i can say it is defiantly in falcons favor

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Falcon is not unbeatable by any means but I don't see how this could possibly be in Dedede's favor. Falcon has deceptively great power and of course great speed. Also Falcon can actually KO Dedede pretty darn early, negating Dedede's weight advantage to some extent.

We can gimp him well and win in the air, but even though Falcon doesn't have a lot of good gordo reflect options he's hard to space and keep out because he's so fast on the ground. Still, you can be much more liberal on your gordos across the stage, which helps make this matchup better than others like ZSS and Sonic.

Dedede beats Falcon off stage because of Falcon's weak recovery, and you'll want to get him there as much as possible. Upair beats everything Falcon has I'm pretty sure. Dedede's Ftilt is really good here too because Falcon often approaches on the ground. As is Dsmash since Falcon has little range.

I feel like Falcon's speed beats out Dedede's spacing ability here. Falcon can really capitalize on Dedede's mistakes. Dedede is of course combo food against him.You have to play really well, any mistake and Falcon will punish hard whereas Falcon can make mistakes and not get punished near as much because of his speed and his frame data which is so much better than Dedede's. You can win this matchup, just play patient and smart. But you'll need to show more skill than the Falcon player and you'll definitely need to make less mistakes. However, there's absolutely no way it's as bad as Sonic or ZSS. I feel very confident in saying this matchup is:

:4dedede:40 : 60:4falcon:

Last edited:

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
DDD looses at the character select screen. (jokes)
Definetly in falcons favor but not unwinnable. In neutral Falcon has a hard time dealing with f tilt, but DDD cant really do much alse in the way of zoning out falcon as gordos aren't a problem in neutral. Falcon is either going to cross you up with aerials, try to mind game and rush in, or roll past your zoning options. Zoning is still your best option though.
Falcon is going to try to challenge you at the ledge as apposed to off stage. DDD gimps falcon and this should be capitalized on. I think DDD's forward air in particular stuffs up b.
Id say just throw falcon off stage and gimp is the best strategy, but then again, I don't really know what a ddd punish looks like. Maybe up air juggles?
If you didn't know already di everything up and away. Also if falcon catches you with falling nair 1 or up air, you might find yourself in a footstool lock.

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
(this is a followup to my last message)
Okay i thought 3 falcons yesterday and i can give a say on the match up now everything i said still applies, so ill go for

:4falcon:65-35:4dedede: perhaps one of D3's worst match-ups along with sonic and zzs but not unwinnable, a falcon that actually knows what he is doing is a extreme threat.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I do not have enough match-up experience here to rate, but I do want to make one thing clear...he can punish you for a lot of the stuff you do.

There are a lot of bad Captains out there, so it may be easy to say "I beat him all the time, it's not that bad a matchup!"...but then you find one of the good ones, and they hurt you pretty bad.

The usual "bad matchup" tricks apply. Ftilt, Dtilt, safe Gordos (utilt in the air, aiming for his head), etc.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
It ain't in Dedede's favor at all.
But it's not terrible imo.
I don't wanna see anyone put on the same level of bad as Zero Suit.~
I'd actually say it's not as bad as Sonic even.
Yea, Falcon can punish you for just about anything, but you shouldn't be whiffing that many things in the first place. Because you play patient. Falcon's trying to get reactions out of you to set up a combo string. That is HOW he approaches.
It's like Sonic in that it's a very read-react based match up
If you start reacting when Falcon wants you to, the yea, it's really bad, but you shouldn't be letting him get in your head in the first place.

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
As an ex-falcon main I can say that this matchup was one that I personally really disliked. A lot of falcons core play comes down to dashing up and grabbing or mixing up, and Dededededededede can make that horrendously difficult. Ftilts, gordos and inhales make approaching tricky and D3s okay air mobility means that even if they do get the start to their string, fighting Dedede in the air will be awkward.

Speaking as a D3 player, I don't mind this matchup much against inexperienced players, and even against good falcons I'd call it close to even. Playing safe and spacing can really frustrate em, and once Dedede gets the Faptain into the air he can really run amok. For me this is slightly in Captains favour just down to his raw speed and powa, but at the very worst it's only :4falcon:60:40:4dedede: and for me closer to 55:45.

Last edited:

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
I still think falcon has a rather large advantage perhaps not to such a major amount though, i do truly find falcon harder than zss simply because falcon has more kill options and the fact its easier to jab reflect the Gordo, but that's more a personal opinion.

That being said falcons weaknesses are very much still there:
The fact he has to approach,
The fact that falcons air range is rather small
The fact that his recovery is predictable
the fact that every falcon main the universe has to taunt after getting a kill

These are all weaknesses a D3 can use to his advantage in the right situations, though a good falcon should acknowledge all this (except the last point) and would perhaps stay safe as D3 has plenty , perhaps even more weaknesses than falcon can do to what he does best. so for 2 characters that are based up close there is a surprisingly strong amount of waiting to be done.

65-35 was dumb of me to say, while i do know what is the best option i tend to rush in more than i should.
:4falcon:60-40:4dedede: seems more about right, i personally stick to final destination so i cant tell what stages or do with this match-up sadly though i assume platforms benefit D3 more.

Cook

Smash Master
Falcon has more kill options than ZSS? Once you're at 80 ZSS can kill you. Either from grab to up b, or just landing an up b. Falcon had nowhere near the easy kill potential. You just gotta avoid his big kill moves, which isn't that hard imo. I say 55:45 Falcon.

And Falcon is one of the few characters you can truly gimp. A single fair can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
Well falcons smashes kill earlier, falcons up air can be a late kill option and the knee of justice works wonders on dedede, i said that i personally think falcon is harder but i can acknowledge and see why that universally most people see a zzs is worse.

Top Bottom