• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Read (and watch) befor judging Brawl's AT's and metagame

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Early (and apparently first 'real'?) tourny footage of Melee:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=O-xSNzYqHGg

As you can see there are many Advanced Tech's that arn't in play during this match that many of us use today regularly. This vid shows that Melee's metagame wasn't developed overnight and took months/years for anything beyond basic gameplay to be discovered. It seems like a common misconception that the Melee metagame has been around from the begining and its not true. The point of this is to put a bit of perspective into people's heads and that Brawl will develope over time just as Melee did. Learn to have a bit of faith in the game and especially the community, we will find ways... :laugh:

EDIT: Apparently there was a thread of a similar ilk so I thought I'd link it. Credit to Lord Knight.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140382

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Don't be lazy... say advanced techs. Or better yet, just say exploits, after all that is what they are.

sv3

Smash Apprentice
I don't think any real competitive fighting game player can seriously complain about stuff like this. It's like people just dropped into the middle of Melee in the last 2 years and consider themselves to be competitive players. I guess it's just something specific to this game because I don't think I've ever seen this in any other fighting game that was released.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Don't be lazy... say advanced techs. Or better yet, just say exploits, after all that is what they are.

Fail.

I'm tired of all these Brawl noobs coming around here trying to tell us we don't know **** about how Melee was meant to be played. WE PLAYED THE GAME EXTREMELY CONSISTENTLY FOR OVER 5 YEARS.

TheLetterJ

Smash Cadet
Very good post. I think the "pros" will soon find out different ways to just make the game "faster"

sv3

Smash Apprentice
WE PLAYED THE GAME EXTREMELY CONSISTENTLY FOR OVER 5 YEARS.

Obviously your join date on one specific set of forums for one specific video game makes the difference.

Hippochinfat

Smash Ace

Fail.

I'm tired of all these Brawl noobs coming around here trying to tell us we don't know **** about how Melee was meant to be played. WE PLAYED THE GAME EXTREMELY CONSISTENTLY FOR OVER 5 YEARS.
Just because he joined recently it doesn't mean he just started playing Melee recently and that he's never gone to a tournament and stuff.

Balloon

Smash Lord

Obviously your join date on one specific set of forums for one specific video game makes the difference.
It's pretty **** clear that Krell hasn't consistently played Melee for very long at all, otherwise he wouldn't make such ignorant claims.

Also, pretty sure I'm like one of the top players in Oregon and am able to compete at a pretty decent level with most good players.

flyingmule

Smash Cadet
Posters in this thread
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv............................................................................................ The Boat

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I've personaly been playing melee since it came out but my join date is late 07. Join date doesn't mean you just started playing regardless whether this guy has or not :psycho:

Its good to hear that most people who watched the vid have a good perspective on things.

I think we should start a thread dedicated to listing old Melee videos, it would give us something fun to look back on and it may quiet some complaints to boot. :)

Top Bottom