• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Facts and Details! (+ Videos including M2K, Armada, HBox, HugS as Samus, Zero and more)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
As some of you know, I was at E3. I got around 80+ matches of gameplay! I have tested every character on the demos at least a little and almost every technique I could remember to try.

Update: Currently uploading videos!

[collapse=Demos]
The Wii U's instantly loaded on the Smash Demo, no loading screen or anything. The first screen said: Press A and then it went directly into character select screen, nothing in between. 20 characters (you all know them), 8 stages (Battlefield, Town and City, SMB, FE Arena thing, Pilotwings, Wily's Castle, Boxing Ring and some other I can't remember).

The 3DS version had a whole new 8 stages (except for battlefield which was shared) and had 4 different characters! Rosalina is replaced by Luigi. Olimar is replaced by Yoshi. Zelda is replaced by Sheik. Link is replaced by Toon Link.

The rules for the demos are 2 games per person. (Then you go back in line). The games are 2 minute FFAs, items on medium, random stage. First match is a "practice match". 2nd match is betting a special edition smash tshirt.

[collapse=Controls:]
The C-Stick now charges! What?! Yes you heard correctly. If you leave the C-Stick tilted it will charge the smash. Also for Brawl fans, you can still tilt by smashing in the same direction you have your control stick on.

Control options were only gamecube. There was 0 option for any other type of control. In fact the demo had 3 screens teaching you how to play with the gamecube controller. One before Smash loaded. One while the match was loading and one while the match ended (and the character select screen was loading). This programming for the demo implies Gamecube controllers will also be used for Best Buy Demos.
[/collapse]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Items:]
[collapse=Final Smashes:]
I saw every final Smash except for Yoshi's, Sonic's and Toon Link's. I can confirm all final smashes (that I saw) remain the same except for ZSS, Luigi and Pit. Luigi and Pit were already known, ZSS was shown at the invitational. [/collapse]

[collapse=Assist Trophies]
I just remembered something new. Assist trophies are attackable!!! I am not sure if they all are but most of them are. That reminds me, remember that Midna assist trophy that killed like 3 of our pro players? Yea, you can just jab it every 4 to 5 seconds and it will never attack. Attacking Midna actually stops her attack, so just jabbing it a few times every now and then renders it useless. Obviously you can't be looking at Midna to jab her everytime she is going to attack, but I saw some of the players trying to block her (she grabs), trying to dodge her (it has a lasting hit box, can't dodge it) completely unaware that you could just jab her and be done with it.

If you hit an assist trophy enough you can kill them (they fall off sort of like Mario in the SNES Marios, they just fall off through the floor).
[/collapse]

[collapse=Non-Working Items:]
Fairy Bottle: definitely not working. In the demo it was doing the exact same thing Mr. Saturn does in previous games. The bottle wouldn't open, you can just throw it around. I tried throwing it into the ground and even throwing a bob-omb on it, nothing worked.

Banana Peel: Banana peels either weren't working or were changed. The bananas now only trip on hit and only on the first hit at that. If you throw a banana peel into the ground it will not trip anyone. If you throw it at someone, hit a 1st target and it bounces and hits a 2nd target, the 2nd target won't trip either. Only the very first hit will trip a player.[/collapse]

[collapse=Changed items:]
As far as I could tell, no returning item was changed in its effect.[/collapse]

[collapse=New items:]
Blue Shell: Homes in from above on the player with the highest score. After a while it drops on them. The player can easily avoid it by moving. When it collides with a player it creates an explosion which damages all players in range.

Fairy: Not working.

Windwaker Wind Thing: Works like an instant Mario FLUDD that you can move while using. It allows you to get your opponent out of the stage really quickly but won't do much after that.

Steeldiver: Raygun which explodes send opponent in an upwards manner instead of sideways.

Tanooki Leaf: Gives the player an extended version of Peach's ability to float.

Ogre Club: Hits hard and summons a whirldwind which travels incredibly slow and doesn't hit that hard.

Fire Bar: Hits hard and really fast. Its basically a much faster and longer version of the beam sword but with limited uses.

Can't remember the others right now.[/collapse][/collapse]

[collapse=Stages:]
[collapse=Battlefield:]
What you see is what you get.[/collapse]

[collapse=Town and City:]
The stage through me up a little. Platforms leave suddenly and incredibly fast. I was standing in a platform and I died because of how fast they left. That said the stage has a set path pattern. So it isn't random. Once you know when the platforms leave, you can prepare for that and not stand on a platform like I was. [/collapse]

[collapse=SMB:]
Seemed kind of weird. Icicles kept dropping at one point. Didn't really think too much about it.[/collapse]

[collapse=Boxing Ring:]
This level gets tiring fast. Its a boring level. Ceiling is incredibly high and its a walk off so the only way to kill is through the sides. The stage itself sort of disrupts fights because of the edges canceling attacks and making you bounce high in the air.[/collapse]

[collapse=Wily's Castle:]
The most popular stage in all senses of the word. Seems like a good stage. Platforms appear every now and then. If it wasn't for Yellow Devil this would be a great stage. Yellow Devil is a weird mechanic, almost no one attacks him, most people ignore him, which is ridiculous since he hits so hard and hits everything in front of him. Basically the optimal strategy is to dodge him or stay behind him.[/collapse]

[collapse=FE Arena:]
Platforms change every now and then. Old platforms leave and new ones come in. The stage is a walk off though.[/collapse]

I can't remember the other ones right now.[/collapse]

[collapse=Characters:]
[collapse=Veterans]
[collapse=Mario:]
Mario is as far as I can tell unchanged. I only played as Mario once (one 2 minute match) so I might still not have much experience with him. None of his attacks were changed. His overall mechanics (pertaining to the new game) seem to be about what they should be in the new game with the new physics.[/collapse]

[collapse=Link:]
Link feels much faster than in Brawl. His new dash attack is much, much better than his previous. His Up-B travels greater range, meaning he has a better recovery. His Down-Air has much less land lag, this is the move I tried to L-Cancel with (spoilers: couldn't), still the move has fairly low lag compared to previous games (compared to Melee's not L-Cancelled Down Air). Up Air has a new animation and comes out quicker for what I could tell. Link didn't feel as much of a rock in this game compared to other characters. (He probably falls about the same speed he did before, but since everyone is falling faster he feels less of a rock).[/collapse]

[collapse=Samus:]
Didn't actually get to play Samus, can't really tell much except that she seems much faster from watching her.[/collapse]

[collapse=DK:]
DK has a new down B in the air. He slaps twice downwards, it seems to meteor/spike. DK also has a new dash attack. It's much faster than his previous dash attack, it also has much better range. I only played DK once so I cannot tell how much different he is than before, that said, I seemed to lack range on most of my attacks. I kept whiffing attacks I expected to hit based on Brawl. DK fans take this cheek in hand, I don't play DK in any game and I only played it once in the demo, I might be wrong on my assumptions.[/collapse]

[collapse=Zelda:]
Zelda's new phantom feels and looks awesome, but I am afraid it might be a little underwhelming. The phantom itself has great range and attacks as soon as someone is in range of his sword (basically spaces the enemy), but most hits destroy him, so characters with projectiles will basically destroy it instantly. It comes out very fast but since its charged your opponent will know its coming and either dodge it or destroy it. If on the other hand you don't charge it then it probably won't reach anywhere. Zelda still has all of her moves and they work exactly as they did in Melee/Brawl. She still has her super heels sweepspot on her aerials and it feels even better than before to land. Some players will be happy to know the game doesn't freeze anymore when you land an electric sweepspot (Meaning your opponent doesn't get free seconds to DI). Up-Smash killed Mario at 90% in the Boxing Ring. Heel seems stronger than Brawl although probably less so than Melee.[/collapse]

[collapse=Bowser:]
Bowser seems faster overall. Most of his moves have some new animation or visual but they feel like they are the same. In that way Bowser feels like a completely new character but playing him still feels like playing old Bowser. I am not a very good Bowser in any iteration of Smash and I didn't play him enough to say that I understand how he fares but it seems like he is better than he was before, although being better than horrible isn't that hard.[/collapse]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Newcomers]
[collapse=Little Mac]
Little Mac seems much less powerful than he was shown in the trailer. First his recovery is horrible, HORRIBLE. Its worse than Falco's was in Melee, seriously. His Side-B can be used as a recovery move, but when done in the air it doesn't actually move you, it basically helps you a little more than Marth's side-B helps his recovery, and this is the "better" option from his recoveries. That aside, almost all of his moves actually become worse in the air. His specials change and lose all the range they had, his aerials are slow and have no range. He hits very hard while on the ground but the problem is that in an FFA someone is bound to hit you while you are fighting someone else and being hit means going into the air which means being screwed.

His mechanic works with damage. It has 10 arrows, an arrow fills every certain % you take or deal. Here's the kicker: it resets on death. If you do not hit an opponent, you will normally get the 1 hit KO around 80-95%. What this means is that if someone is totally flooring you, you will basically get 1 chance for a comeback. On the other hand when playing an even match you will be getting this 1 hit KO around the 50-60% mark which means your opponent will also be around that % and getting a hard to land 1 hit KO move isn't that big of a deal. The other scenario is a Little Mac devastating an opponent and basically getting an extra free KO, but if you can deal more than 150-190% damage on a single stock while taking minimal damage then I don't think a simple 1 hit KO is much of a big deal.[/collapse]

[collapse=Greninja]
Greninja moves fast. He runs fast, he "flies" fast, he fast falls really fast. Some of his moves feel laggier than they look. Basically it would seem as if the end lag is less than what it actually is. Now that doesn't mean Greninja is slow, its just he feels slower than you expect. His Up-B is weird, it works like Pikachu's but many people had problems guiding it. His Shuriken cannot be held at all. It releases intantly on full charge. His Down-B is substitute, it works exactly as a counter but you can "sort of" direction where Greninja comes from. I say sort of because I have no idea if you can actually tell Greninja where to come from or if its just random, but he does it from different directions everytime. The substitute actually stays in the stage! Like for a ridiculous amount of time. It stayed for so long the Greninja actually died came back and the substitute ONLY left because someone kicked it out of the stage with a dash attack. It doesn't seem like it has a hit box, so it works like a waddle dee that doesn't jump basically.

Greninjas Side-B is very interesting. Its the first ability I know that does not activate on press but instead activates on release. How so? Well when you press side-B Greninja starts "charging" the side-B, but he doesn't actually show it. The opponent sees nothing, knows nothing. While charging Greninja looks exactly as he looks if he wasn't charging it, Greninja can also move, run, jump, everything BUT attack or shield. Once Greninja releases the B button he will perform the side-B. Greninja has a slight moment to input the direction he wants the side-B to travel. The distance Greninja travels depends on how long he charged the ability.[/collapse]

[/collapse]

[/collapse]

I am also in the process of uploading some video. I have about 2 hours of gameplay on video, but more than half of it is completely unwatchable due to glare and stuff. I am currently weeding out the videos that can be seen and uploading them on youtube.

Update:
Here is my new youtube channel. I am currently uploading videos 1 by 1. I will probably upload around 20+ videos I think (and some have several matches) so go and check them out while I finish doing all this other stuff xD.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttG16jT_EvO9Z2LbBXvp_g

Update2:

Yes I know I have a terrible pulse. My hands are always shaking a bit (so the video will be a bit shaky) and I can't quite stop them from doing that, sorry about that in advanced.

After I finish uploading everything I will do that youtube thing that takes away the "shakyness"

Update3:

i have footage of M2K, Armada, HBox, Zero and others playing. I'll upload it as soon as I get home.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Thanks for the info, Raykz. The character info is obviously the most coveted info, but it's also the hardest to quantify, isn't it?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Thanks for the info, Raykz. The character info is obviously the most coveted info, but it's also the hardest to quantify, isn't it?
I think the hardest to quantify is mechanics and overall feel. I am leaving it for last. I feel like most people will be dissapointed by a lot of things I have to say. For me, I loved the game, but to make a long story short: The game feels much more like Brawl than Melee. I will go more in depth though. Most of the things that were changed were for the better. Every single change I find I only think: Good! I like Melee more than Brawl but I don't hate Brawl as many people do, so I my opinion is that the game is incredible, although many won't see it as such.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think the hardest to quantify is mechanics and overall feel. I am leaving it for last. I feel like most people will be dissapointed by a lot of things I have to say. For me, I loved the game, but to make a long story short: The game feels much more like Brawl than Melee. I will go more in depth though. Most of the things that were changed were for the better. Every single change I find I only think: Good! I like Melee more than Brawl but I don't hate Brawl as many people do, so I my opinion is that the game is incredible, although many won't see it as such.
I'm okay with all that so long as the game plays well. I've seen the Invitational grand finals. I know this game can be competitive. The real question is, really, will Smash 4 gain the widespread acceptance Brawl lacked later on?

I think it will, since a lot of the gripes about Brawl seem to have been addressed to an extent. Is L-cancelling back? Some aerials seem to have very little landing lag, but is it all auto-cancelled, now?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I'm okay with all that so long as the game plays well. I've seen the Invitational grand finals. I know this game can be competitive. The real question is, really, will Smash 4 gain the widespread acceptance Brawl lacked later on?

I think it will, since a lot of the gripes about Brawl seem to have been addressed to an extent. Is L-cancelling back? Some aerials seem to have very little landing lag, but is it all auto-cancelled, now?
L-Cancelling is definitely not back but aerials seem to cancel faster some times. Its weird, sometimes I felt as though I had no aerial lag but at other times there was a lot of aerial lag. The most happy thing I have to inform is that hitstun cancelling is definitely not back.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
L-Cancelling is definitely not back but aerials seem to cancel faster some times. Its weird, sometimes I felt as though I had no aerial lag but at other times there was a lot of aerial lag. The most happy thing I have to inform is that hitstun cancelling is definitely not back.
That's what I expected, oddly enough. Some aerials will auto-cancel, and hitstun is back in a respectable form again. Brawl's handling of hitstun favored the "defender" way too much, which combined with the low gravity, resulted in very slow battles compared to Melee (and few combos). Anyway. Watching the invitational, I never saw any aerials that I thought, "wow, the lag on that looks inordinate." The aerials that look laggy seem to make sense to be that way, but most of them look decently fast.

Is DI still there? I have no reason to believe it won't be.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Here's what is on mosts peoples minds: combos.

What's going on with these?

People are under the impression that because hit stun is back in, combos are too. But from what it appears from the demo, combos are not reliable or accessible because the follow up takes way too long because the engine is too slow, or base knock back on moves and throws are too high. Is this wrong? What is your impression.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Here's what is on mosts peoples minds: combos.

What's going on with these?

People are under the impression that because hit stun is back in, combos are too. But from what it appears from the demo, combos are not reliable or accessible because the follow up takes way too long because the engine is too slow, or base knock back on moves and throws are too high. Is this wrong? What is your impression.
I am trying to go in depth into everything, I will try and cover this too. I think we just don't know enough of the game to actually understand it yet. I play both Melee and Brawl and the game led me to instantly play it like Brawl, because it just feels like Brawl at least at the start. I was able to get most of combos I know from Brawl, like Sonics Down-B -> Up-Air or Fox Up-Tilt->Up-Tilt, but I wasn't able to get any Melee like combos even though I tried. That said, with the addition of hitstun back, there could be new combos we just don't know of yet. Tomorrow I will get about triple the playtime I got today, and I'll get the same on thursday, I'll probably be more experienced to talk about those then. For now I am leaving my mind open. I think the game has potential yet. I feel like the thing that was hindering me the most was the 4 players, every time I tried to set up something specific I was met with a different player just punching me in the face.

Basically I don't think your thoughts are wrong, but they might be unfair to the game. No one has played it yet enough to tell anything. And I don't think we should base it on previous iterations of Smash for now.

Hungrybox seemed to have done a combo with Kirby and he seemed to try to land it as much as possible: Unfinished Drill->Up-Tilt->Back-Air (When low %). I was able to get some new combos with some characters like Sonic, but I feel like it was mostly due to very low % and bad DI from my opponent.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I LOVE what you wrote about DK. I had a hunch he had a new aerial down B.

DK's range has always been deceptively short, save his giant punch. That's why he gets messed up by projectile spam and swords. He's also a huge target. But then, that's not really exclusive to DK. There are lots of characters without projectiles or disjointed hitboxes who have the exact same weaknesses.

I love the roll attack, too. Can't wait to try out DK tomorrow!

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Two little questions :

Raykz, I watched much more roll or spotdodge's than in Brawl pro-matches in the tournament.
You thinks it's more viable now ?

And one last one :

Do you play against or with Pit ? Did you has something to say about him ?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Two little questions :

Raykz, I watched much more roll or spotdodge's than in Brawl pro-matches in the tournament.
You thinks it's more viable now ?

And one last one :

Do you play against or with Pit ? Did you has something to say about him ?

Spot Dodging and Air Dodging seemed to be more punishable and have more end lag. Rolls on the other hand seem to be much faster which leads to them being less punishable/more viable. That said, I think the reason people were rolling so much is because they still haven't figured out the meta of the game and they don't understand what to do.

Surprisingly I completely forgot to play as Pit. I was too focused on figuring out which mechanics are back and which are gone that I forgot about him completely. I will play him tomorrow though. Not many people were picking Pit, and in a 4 player match its kind of hard to tell what's going on, so right now I feel like I can't say much about him.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
My take from the invitational is that if you don't like Brawl you aren't going to like Smash 4. I had very low expectations for this and it still disappointed me.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
PITPITPITPITPITPITPITPIT
Er, any idea on SDI? You apparently can't SDI out of Smartbombs now. Or what about shield breaking?
Yep, I tried to SDI out of smart bombs specifically and couldn't do it. Tried SDIng out of jabs and couldn't, I had to DI out of it slowly. Also tried SDIng out of Pikachu's D-Smash, but to be fair I did it quite late and I had 300% (Sudden Death), so I don't know if I actually got the input down in time in that last one.

Shield Breaking I don't understand. Shields as a whole seem less reliable. I got hit while shielding quite a couple of times (it seems that either shields deplete much faster or I have to angle my shield now or something), it was kind of weird being hit while shielded by abilities I knew didn't hit me in previous games, so I don't know if its the shield or the abilities that have a bigger hitbox or just coincidence or what gives. That said, if you are wondering how resistant they are, I am guessing about the same as previous smashes. I would say 3-4 smashes from any character should break a shield. Breaking a shield is never a common thing to see I believe.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yep, I tried to SDI out of smart bombs specifically and couldn't do it. Tried SDIng out of jabs and couldn't, I had to DI out of it slowly. Also tried SDIng out of Pikachu's D-Smash, but to be fair I did it quite late and I had 300% (Sudden Death), so I don't know if I actually got the input down in time in that last one.

Shield Breaking I don't understand. Shields as a whole seem less reliable. I got hit while shielding quite a couple of times (it seems that either shields deplete much faster or I have to angle my shield now or something), it was kind of weird being hit while shielded by abilities I knew didn't hit me in previous games, so I don't know if its the shield or the abilities that have a bigger hitbox or just coincidence or what gives. That said, if you are wondering how resistant they are, I am guessing about the same as previous smashes. I would say 3-4 smashes from any character should break a shield. Breaking a shield is never a common thing to see I believe.
Hm, I actually like the SDI removal. Now multi-hit moves will work properly at all levels. The shield mechanics sound kinda bleh, but I'll have to see tomorrow.

Say, anything I should keep an eye out for tomorrow? I'll be going to the Best Buy demo.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Hm, I actually like the SDI removal. Now multi-hit moves will work properly at all levels. The shield mechanics sound kinda bleh, but I'll have to see tomorrow.

Say, anything I should keep an eye out for tomorrow? I'll be going to the Best Buy demo.

Well Pit has changed in a lot of ways from what I can tell. His arrows seem different. New Up-B, new Side-B, new Down-B. Basically completely new specials. Smash Balls come out very often, 1-2 per match it would seem (and a match lasted 2 minutes). Blue Shell comes out very often but is very easy to avoid. Keep clear of the fairy, it doesn't work. Everyone falls much faster, you won't be as floaty as in Brawl. There is no hitstun cancel, so you might catch yourself spamming the dodge button and your character not responding.

I would say just try to figure out as much as you can and enjoy the game :p. There may be giving Tshirts to the winners of every game. If they are, make sure you win :p.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
If you have any info on Fox that would be hugely appreciated, @ Chiroz Chiroz

Thanks in advance.
My most played character, played him 4 times, I'll write a summary about him.

Edit:

Here is my new youtube channel. I am currently uploading videos 1 by 1. I will probably upload around 20+ videos I think (and some have several matches) so go and check them out while I finish doing all this other stuff xD.

Edit2:

Yes I know I have a terrible pulse. My hands are always shaking a bit (so the video will be a bit shaky) and I can't quite stop them from doing that, sorry about that in advanced.

After I finish uploading everything I will do that youtube thing that takes away the "shakyness"

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Ohhh, now you have me excited.

Though from what I can see he seemed overall nerfed from Brawl, but it's really hard to tell from just seeing gameplay, especially in 4 player free for alls with items. :p

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Did Sakurai actually say that Samus was overpowered before the Invitational? I heard someone say something to that effect, but I stepped away from my computer when that moment passed, and I haven't seen anyone mentioning it, or any clips of the statement.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well Pit has changed in a lot of ways from what I can tell. His arrows seem different. New Up-B, new Side-B, new Down-B. Basically completely new specials. Smash Balls come out very often, 1-2 per match it would seem (and a match lasted 2 minutes). Blue Shell comes out very often but is very easy to avoid. Keep clear of the fairy, it doesn't work. Everyone falls much faster, you won't be as floaty as in Brawl. There is no hitstun cancel, so you might catch yourself spamming the dodge button and your character not responding.

I would say just try to figure out as much as you can and enjoy the game :p. There may be giving Tshirts to the winners of every game. If they are, make sure you win :p.
I think I actually know more about Pit then you do. :laugh: Like how his vB has super armor, I knew how his arrows worked back before the E3 direct, and he even has a new aerial which we now know is his fair from the tournament. Say, see any aerial vBs from Pit? If not, I know the very first thing I'm doing tomorrow.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Raygun IS changed. There's a video on youtube I saw where the Ray Gun wasn't knocking enemies off the ground. Fox was getting hit infinitely by it from Greninja. It's the little flipping animation with high hitstun you get when you're hit at low percents (usually low hitting moves like dtilts), but you don't leave the ground.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
In the "some kind of stupid (but okay) try" to build a tier between the chars, I looked Pit and until now I just can't believe.
My friends and other people I play Brawl against says I should cry less about him in Brawl, but is just so hard to get a kill that I find myself with a "secondary" MK.

If he is good now, maybe I will stick with him.The only thing I know for sure is that I will never more use a weak character.
Thanks for all information and waiting more from tomorrow.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I think I actually know more about Pit then you do. :laugh: Like how his vB has super armor, I knew how his arrows worked back before the E3 direct, and he even has a new aerial which we now know is his fair from the tournament. Say, see any aerial vBs from Pit? If not, I know the very first thing I'm doing tomorrow.
I am uploading around 20 matches, see if you can find any Pit (I just watched them all and even now I can't remember a Pit). Honestly there were extremely few Pits. It was probably due to the fact that you were basically told not to pick him (In a sense). The Nintendo guys who run the booth ask you the same questions each time you play (trust me I played like 30+ times, I would know).

The first one is: Have you played Smash Brothers before? If you answer no they will explain it, if everyone answers yes they move on to: Have you used the gamecube controller before? If anyone answers no they explain it, if everyone answers yes they move on to: Some characters such as Pit have had their moveset completely redesigned and are basically new characters, and then they say: Whomever wins, wins a special edition tshirt, you will have one practice match to adjust though, so I would suggest picking characters you are comfortable with. (They all say this).

If you read between lines they are basically saying: Don't pick characters who are completely different, like Pit xD. I shoulda picked him, since I already had 6 tshirts anyways, but I completely forgot to do it. I will tomorrow though.

Raygun IS changed. There's a video on youtube I saw where the Ray Gun wasn't knocking down. Fox was getting hit infinitely by it from Greninja. It's the little flipping animation with high hitstun you get when you're hit at low percents (usually high hitting moves), but you don't leave the ground.
What do you mean by knockdown? Ray Gun has always just sent your opponent flying horizontally from what I remember (I don't normally use items). They don't knock you down on the floor.

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
What do you mean by knockdown? Ray Gun has always just sent your opponent flying horizontally from what I remember (I don't normally use items). They don't knock you down on the floor.
That's what I meant, yeah. It doesn't knock you off the ground at all now. 0 knockback growth.

Also meant low hitting moves. But you get the point. Raygun can infinite, fear the walkoffs even more now, blahblah items suck.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Can you tell us about Greninja? Out of all the newcomers, wek now by far the least about him.

Sorry I don't have a more clever question, but I'll probably have something clever after I play a bit tomorrow at Best Buy.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That's what I meant, yeah. It doesn't knock you off the ground at all now. 0 knockback growth.
It does knock you off the ground though. At least it did when I used it. I almost killed a Rosalina by shooting her continuously with it. It doesn't shoot as fast as it did in Brawl though so you can't chain it, if you hit an opponent more than once its because your opponent did not want to dodge it.

In the "some kind of stupid (but okay) try" to build a tier between the chars, I looked Pit and until now I just can't believe.
My friends and other people I play Brawl against says I should cry less about him in Brawl, but is just so hard to get a kill that I find myself with a "secondary" MK.

If he is good now, maybe I will stick with him.The only thing I know for sure is that I will never more use a weak character.
Thanks for all information and waiting more from tomorrow.
Well, I can't really make a tier list without a metagame and I truly cannot make a tier list with how little experience I have but I will put my opinion on who I think the strongest character right now is.

From the characters that I liked I think Megaman, which I only played 1ce is actually very, very strong. Hugs apparently didn't figure out that his Up-Tilt is his best kill move. I got a KO on Bowser at around 90% with an Up-Tilt, when my Up-Smash or Side-Smash didn't get kills on Mario at that %. Megaman has a lot of maneuverability in the air, but isn't that floaty, feels kind of like Jigglypuff but falls faster. I found his specials kind of lacking, Metal Blade was slow, leaf shield was laggy. But his aerials are great. Great range, great damage, great knockback.

The reason I think Megaman is the strongest from the very little experience I have is because he was the only character that made me go: WOW. I was really surprised at how good his aerial game is and I was extremely extremely surprised at how strong that Up-Tilt was. Reminds me of the first time I saw Snake's Up-Tilt. Megaman's Up-Tilt doesn't have that crazy range, but it does have the crazy knockback.

Apart from that I don't have much to say yet. I will see what I can look at tomorrow.

Can you tell us about Greninja? Out of all the newcomers, wek now by far the least about him.

Sorry I don't have a more clever question, but I'll probably have something clever after I play a bit tomorrow at Best Buy.
Yep, I got something to say on each of the newcomers and how they work. I am just trying to do a lot of things at once (uploading videos and such).

Last edited:

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
It does knock you off the ground though. At least it did when I used it. I almost killed a Rosalina by shooting her continuously with it. It doesn't shoot as fast as it did in Brawl though so you can't chain it, if you hit an opponent more than once its because your opponent did not want to dodge it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1TdbrACQQs&t=1m20s

Possibly spacies-only, or weight specific.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I am uploading around 20 matches, see if you can find any Pit (I just watched them all and even now I can't remember a Pit). Honestly there were extremely few Pits. It was probably due to the fact that you were basically told not to pick him (In a sense). The Nintendo guys who run the booth ask you the same questions each time you play (trust me I played like 30+ times, I would know).

The first one is: Have you played Smash Brothers before? If you answer no they will explain it, if everyone answers yes they move on to: Have you used the gamecube controller before? If anyone answers no they explain it, if everyone answers yes they move on to: Some characters such as Pit have had their moveset completely redesigned and are basically new characters, and then they say: Whomever wins, wins a special edition tshirt, you will have one practice match to adjust though, so I would suggest picking characters you are comfortable with. (They all say this).

If you read between lines they are basically saying: Don't pick characters who are completely different, like Pit xD. I shoulda picked him, since I already had 6 tshirts anyways, but I completely forgot to do it. I will tomorrow though.

Sweet, where are you uploading them?

And I made up a list of things to look for as Pit in the demo discussion topic. I'll post it here at the risk of sounding needy. :p

Lemme think... We need to see his Dspecial in action. Power, how does it work in air, knockback.

We've seen that his Sspecial's armor isn't as potent as, say, Mac's. Perhaps some research on that...

We also know his fair is definitely the new spinning move, and is pretty fast too.

We need to see how charging arrows effects them, because they might get faster when charged.
Utilt's reach, ftilt's speed, attack's range in general...

And Uspecial. What happens when used on the ground? Does it hurt? What if you hit the ground? Cancel with an attack? What about when hit with an attack? Wind effect? Is using it for horizontal movement, mostly backwards, viable?

Well, I'll try and answer a few questions tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not missing anything important.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1TdbrACQQs&t=1m20s

Possibly spacies-only, or weight specific.
Definitely weight specific, he hit Link right before Fox and Link did sort of move. Remember gravity is stronger in this game so fast fallers like Fox are actually closer to Melee fallspeeds than Brawl. But yea, it seems to do less knockback overall, it doesn't have the knockback it did in Brawl/Melee. It still knockbacks though.

Sweet, where are you uploading them?

And I made up a list of things to look for as Pit in the demo discussion topic. I'll post it here at the risk of sounding needy. :p

Lemme think... We need to see his Dspecial in action. Power, how does it work in air, knockback.

We've seen that his Sspecial's armor isn't as potent as, say, Mac's. Perhaps some research on that...

We also know his fair is definitely the new spinning move, and is pretty fast too.

We need to see how charging arrows effects them, because they might get faster when charged.
Utilt's reach, ftilt's speed, attack's range in general...

And Uspecial. What happens when used on the ground? Does it hurt? What if you hit the ground? Cancel with an attack? What about when hit with an attack? Wind effect? Is using it for horizontal movement, mostly backwards, viable?

Well, I'll try and answer a few questions tomorrow. Hopefully I'm not missing anything important.

This is the channel I am uploading. Already finished weeding out the videos. 14 videos, 17 matches (some videos have multiple matches). All with 4 players, so thats 68 chances to see Pit, although I really don't remember seeing him :p. I actually had close to 40 videos, but around 4-5 were less than 15 second videos. There were around 10 of the invitational, they look really bad, lots of glare and bad quality so I just decided to upload the grand finals and nothing else. Apart from that, from the other 24 about 5-6 were completely unrecognizable due to glare or bad focusing of the camera so I didn't upload them. I uploaded all of the rest.

One thing I do remember from Pit's down-special is that the orbitars actually have a hitbox when being summoned. I was hit by a Pit once who did the ability while standing next to me.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Oh yeah, I think is too early too.
But anyway I readed that : http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/
Most of that I agree with, although I think I was able to do a DACUS but I am unsure because the character I had was someone with a horrible dash attack and I didn't actually move at all, it could have very well just been that I missed the Dash Attack and did Dash->Up-Smash. Stutter Stepping is definitely back, did it with several characters. Even though I couldn't Smash DI, I felt like the initial DI of a move has much more impact on the knockback (they wrote DI somewhat noticeable). I had a move send me diagonally upwards and had the same move send me completely horizontal which seemed to me like the initial DI actually played a bigger part, but it might have been just the angle at which the move hit me too, I need to test further.

They didn't even list Megaman in the tier list and I didn't think that Villager, for example, was better than Marth or Fox amongst other characters from my own point of view.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Oh yeah, I think is too early too.
But anyway I readed that : http://meleeiton.me/2014/06/10/invitational-impressions/
This page scared me half to death.

Those Fox nerfs look crazy, and I'm really unsure about how his Shine works now. I know it's not a Melee Shine, but it doesn't look like a Brawl shine either (turn it on and off quickly).

And no laser cancel and they likely(?) go the same pathetic distance as Brawl, which would disappoint me.

I heard someone mention he has been sped up quite a bit in multiple areas to help identify him as one of the nimble characters of smash bros, which would justify the unnecessary nerfs from a game where he was balanced (Brawl).

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Yeah, I rewatched all matches looking closer to Fox after this.
And he seems nerfed.
And he don't deserve this at all.
Looking at all this nerfs at Fox I get myself thinking about the destiny of Metaknight...
MK deserves some nerfs from Brawl but ...should MK become the new botton-tier :( ?
This "balance" seems bad... really BAD. Sakurai says that some characters are good only on 4-player matches....

So I closed my eyes and talk to myself "You like Smash, idiot... You can't complain against balance now"

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

Updated a bit on Greninja, will add more tomorrow. I know more as of now, but going to sleep soon.

Those Fox nerfs look crazy, and I'm really unsure about how his Shine works now. I know it's not a Melee Shine, but it doesn't look like a Brawl shine either (turn it on and off quickly).

And no laser cancel and they likely(?) go the same pathetic distance as Brawl, which would disappoint me.

I heard someone mention he has been sped up quite a bit in multiple areas to help identify him as one of the nimble characters of smash bros, which would justify the unnecessary nerfs from a game where he was balanced (Brawl).
I didn't feel like Fox was that nerfed. His attacks hits were weaker but he didn't seem to be weaker overall. He was one of the characters I saw won the most matches, although 4 player FFAs aren't anything to base statistics on. Up-Tilt->Up->Tilt still exists. Some moves can combo into Up-Air if your opponent doesn't DI correctly. Shine seems to lag after you do it, which is bad. You can't cancel specials by landing, which means you can't short hop laser, (I tried it several times with single laser and double laser and couldn't do it. Although I remember Gimpyfish couldn't do it in Brawl either because of the different timing, so maybe its a different timing) Fox has to holster his gun when he lands. His Down-Air now seems to knock upwards and lags quite a bit which doesn't allow me to combo it into Down-Smash or Up-Smash like I used to do in Brawl (specially since it doesn't trip people anymore). Yes I have said a lot of nerfs, but Fox still felt great to play, he didn't feel weak, which was what I meant.

I will try to go more in depth on the first post.

Last edited:

Lanuigi

Smash Cadet
Yeah. nice job! Hopefully in your batch you have some Luigi, Sheik, Yoshi, and Toon Link footage. Although I'm more concerned about Wii-U. most people will play that version at Best Buy Wed and I don't believe any 3ds versions are available at the Best Buy events.

Anyway, I'll await your thoughts (especially considering that you don't think Brawl is the worst thing in the world)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Fox would have been top tier if he didn't have 3 -3 match-ups with Ice Climbers/Pikachu/Shiek. Literally only thing holding him back were those three hard counters.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah. nice job! Hopefully in your batch you have some Luigi, Sheik, Yoshi, and Toon Link footage. Although I'm more concerned about Wii-U. most people will play that version at Best Buy Wed and I don't believe any 3ds versions are available at the Best Buy events.

Anyway, I'll await your thoughts (especially considering that you don't think Brawl is the worst thing in the world)

I'll get more 3DS footage tomorrow. Unfortunately I noticed that the 3DS had a different roster way too late today. I was playing the Wii U version and then just decided to play a match on the 3DS and was completely dumbfounded when I saw that there were 4 other characters. It's the reason why I still haven't seen Yoshi's or Toon Link's final Smash. I was only able to play 3 games before I had to run to the invitational tournament today.

Top Bottom