• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Your Character!

FranJan

Smash Rookie
As you may know everyone's version of what might be considered "top tier" varies from person to person mostly because the game hasn't been out long enough to consider who or why certain characters are good or not. Everyone has an idea of who's on top like we know that meta knight is on top and gannondorf is in the bottom but for some reason all the other characters seems pretty jumbled in the middle. Also since everyone thinks they know all the characters well enough to make a tier list no one agrees on.... why not go with somethings we do know. We know the character we're playing at least right? This thread is more about understanding why we think certain characters might be better than other and not so much about why we think who ever posted the last tier list is an idiot. There's no wrong answers here just an honest opinion about why you think your character would exceed in each category.

Ok now that I finished that little speech this is how we are going to rate our characters. There are 6 categories:

Aerial Game, Ground Game, KO potential, Priority potential, Recovery, and Set-up/Combo potential.

Each character will be rated in each category in a 5 point rating so the maximum a character can have is 30 points.

Aerial game is based on the aerial attacks available for the character and how well you can use that both offensively and defensively.

Ground game is a similar concept to the aerial one but with your character grounded.

KO potential is how well your character can KO both horizontally and vertically.

Priority is based on the character's speed and range of attacks.

Recovery is based on how well your character can get back on the platform and how laggy they are after their attacks.

Set-up/combo potential is based on how well your character can keep up the pressure of attacks or if they have any follow up moves after any of their attacks.

Browny

Smash Hater
klol,
Lucario

Aerial game: 5 (huge range, d-air of doom, f-air combos into itself to WOP)
Ground game: 4 (fastest roll dodge + huge range tilts + A-A combos into his side b)
KO potential: 3 (his usmash is next to useless, and despite fsmash enormous range its just a little slow)
Priority: 5 (disjointed attacks that last a long time, what could be better?)
Recovery: 4 (hes very floaty so edgehogging is pointless when he can just float back to the stage, and his insane aerials mean attempting to gimp him will result in pain, lots of it)
Combo potential: 5 (pretty much a given, he combos like every character wish they could)

.... i know this looks extremely biased (duh obvious) but i try too look at it this way. since we are ranking out of 5, and theres 39 characters, to rate a 5 the character would have to have that ability beaten by no more than 7 other characters. When i look at lucario, who outranges him in the air? the sword users, and thats about it. as for ground game, thats highly debatable but he does have a chain grab, spammable projectile and is still only outranged by a few. His KO potential varies so largely, he can kill at around 60% if he is at 182% or higher.

As for priority, once again only the sword users beat him, maybe ness too. Lucarios recovery may be on the bad side, but i dont think there are 14 characters with better recoviries, taking into account floatiness and aerials. Combo potential, its a given

FranJan

Smash Rookie
Let me start with Lucas since I use that character. I give him a 4 in aerial game because his neutral has good priority and can set up into a neutral ground attack, his back air spike but is a bit slow and he has a small lightning kick from his forward air. His ground game I give a 3 because he might have great kills most of his ground attacks are defensive in nature and has to rely mostly in his specials to get the opponent to come to him in order to use it. KO potential is what he really exceeds in since all his smashes kills lightweights at 80% and middle weights at just over 100% so I give that a 5. Priority I give a 4 because he has some great attacks that come out quick and hit for a lot of damage, but doesnt get a full score because his range is lacking. I give his recovery a 2 because his pk thunder is such a bad 3rd jump and his throw is also very laggy and all his smashes are laggy exept his forward smash. Finally for his combo/set-up i give a 3 because while he has some solid air to ground attacks his ground to air attacks is limited to pk thunder which is risky and pk ice which isn't very accurate (unless you're the computer). So in total I give him a 21

orintemple

Smash Lord
Let me start with Lucas since I use that character. I give him a 4 in aerial game because his neutral has good priority and can set up into a neutral ground attack, his back air spike but is a bit slow and he has a small lightning kick from his forward air. His ground game I give a 3 because he might have great kills most of his ground attacks are defensive in nature and has to rely mostly in his specials to get the opponent to come to him in order to use it. KO potential is what he really exceeds in since all his smashes kills lightweights at 80% and middle weights at just over 100% so I give that a 5. Priority I give a 4 because he has some great attacks that come out quick and hit for a lot of damage, but doesnt get a full score because his range is lacking. I give his recovery a 2 because his pk thunder is such a bad 3rd jump and his throw is also very laggy and all his smashes are laggy exept his forward smash. Finally for his combo/set-up i give a 3 because while he has some solid air to ground attacks his ground to air attacks is limited to pk thunder which is risky and pk ice which isn't very accurate (unless you're the computer). So in total I give him a 21
Omg WALL OF TEXT. Please break it up like DjBrowny did, ouch!

Anyways, I'll do Fox, since I don't want to just come and flame your typing style without some sort of on topic input.

Fox-
Aerial Game-4-It is very good. The d-air can be linked into u-tilt, his most combo potential attack and also into shines. His b-air kills well and his n-air autocancels. Powerful u-air and great damage on the f-air too. Great all around aerial game.

Ground Game-4-Fox is really fast. All of his ground attacks have little lag starting or ending, and his f-smash has great range. He has decent priority to boot. He gets outranged by a number of the cast though, which causes his ground game to suffer. What makes up for it is his wonderful ground speed, mixed with his falling speed that makes Short hopped aerials almost like a part of his ground game.

KO Potential-4-U-smash can kill at quite low percents. D-smash sends at a totally horizontal angle so it makes for good low kills and gimp setups. F-smash has good range and decent power too. His b-air and u-air also kill well. Most of all all these moves are quick.

Priority-3-Fox's priority is pretty average. His speed makes his attacks come out first many times, which gets around the priority issue, but when attacks clash he is pretty average. Not much to say here.

Recovery-3-The firefox and illusion are both very long ranged but they are also very predictable and easy to intercept. Illusion, the safer of the two recoveries, only goes horizontal so for vertical one must use the risky firefox, which can be easily punished.

Combo Potential-4-Fox is one of the better combers in the game. He has a few "real" combos like full hop d-air(full hopped d-air autocancels) to u-tilt, which is flawless. His combos can also rack damage very quickly. Good combo game here.

Overall I would say Fox is about a 3.5 rank character. He is good but some of these characters are just beastly in Brawl, and his nerfs have put him down. I would predict mid/high mid tier for Fox.

:034:

Smash Hero
If I want to see people praising their own characters, I'll go to Tier Discussion, kthnx.

Browny

Smash Hater
please do, no one is forcing you to read this, let alone waste all our time with your post

Iris

Smash Ace
Zelda:

Aerial Game: 3.5 I think she has the strongest set of aerials in the game in terms of knockback. Sweetspot hits are utterly devastating, and the damage is heavy. Her spike is super powerful and has little lag/downward momentum, but the fact that it's only effective in the air makes it mediocre. Multi-hit nair is great for punishing an airdodge. Still, the fact that 3 of her 5 aerials require sweetspots to be at all effective makes her air game much weaker than it could be.

Ground Game: 4 Her smashes are effective for quick hits, but they last long enough to be punishable. Her KO potential is better in the air than on the ground, but she can put a lot of pressure on with multi-hit attacks, down tilt locks, and high damage smash attacks. Unfortunately, most of her tilts are a bit slow, some of her smash attacks can be escaped, and her specials have punishable lag on the end. Thankfully, she's got a great projectile.

KO potential: 4.5 She's got one of the best KO potentials in the game. Her aerials kill below 80% easily and her ground attacks pretty much all kill at around 110-130, save for her specials, jab, and down tilt. Sometime's it's hard to land a kill in the air, but her smashes have small enough start-up lag to throw out for a kill. Her main weakness is that she can't really approach well enough to get an attack in against an avoidant character and must draw them in or have them do it voluntarily.

Priority potential: 3 Her ground priority is great. Din's Fire cancels out about all projectiles while still detonating with a huge hitbox, down smash and up smash all execute quickly and are high priority attacks with impressive range. In fact, most of her ground attacks have good range. Unfortunately though, her priority in the air is severely lacking. She has decent range in the air, but her good kill attacks have low priority.

Recovery: 2 Her third jump is pretty good. It can be used for mindgames as well as covering a huge distance. It has a hit on the end now, making it slightly safer to use without sweetspotting the ledge. However, it stil travels in a predictable straight line (though since she warps, she's only open to attacks before and after it) and has gross ending lag. Her recovery from combos and hard hits is bad though. She's easily juggled since her dair is low priority and has a tiny hitbox, and her weight sends her flying. Zeldas are anxious whenever they're above an enemy because that's when they're most succeptable to juggling and being KOed.

Set-up/Combo potential: 2.5 Zelda has little combo potential. She can do two upsmashes on low % opponents or lock them in a short d-tilt spam/Din's Fire spam, but she can't really follow up well because of her slowness and poor jumping ability. Most of her moves don't particularly flow well together, but I guess that's what Sheik's for, right?

Overall: 3.5, probably low high or high mid on the tier list, but regardless, she's definitely very playable.

Wtfwasthat

Smash Journeyman
LUIGI!

Aerial Game: 5 Luigis best attribute, the aerials have absolutley no lag whatsoever, B-Air and D-Air can kill. Can dish out 2 aerial in a short hop

Ground Game: 3.5 His Smashes are decent. Tilts arent spectacular, I like his U-Tilt though. Throwing is amazing, D-throw and Uthrow can combo, B-Throw can kill. Bup is awesome

KO potential: 4 F-Smash, Bair, Dair, Bup B- Throw can all kill
Priority potential: 5 His aerials all have good priority, Nair extremely high priority. F-Smash is very quick

Recovery: 5 His recovery is AMAZING Green missle horizontally, double jummp, luigi cyclone, up b. AWESOME

Set-up/Combo potential: 3.5 He can setup into combos i think a little better than most of the characters with his throws.

21/30

Id say low of high tier

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
You know what, lets do this. I'm sorta in the mood to do this.

G&W

Aerial Game:
5/5

G&W's aerial game is amazing. I know, I know, everyone says this for every character, and for the most part it's true, but G&W is both great offensively and defensively in the sky.

First, we have his Fair, which happens to be one of his most reliable killing moves. The downside to this is lag time on the ground, which means its probably better to full hop this one. It's also amazing at chasing characters off the stage. All around nice.

Then, we have, arguably, the best Back Air in the game; The turtle. With this, you can properly space away from the opponent, which is a nice defensive plus, and it has the well known ability to poke through shields, a huge plus for offense. You wont get shield grabbed through this if spaced correctly.

One of his biggest defensive buffs he got from brawl is the Nair. At the loss of one of his killing moves, the old parachute, he gained a great combo setter and shield. In melee, one of his biggest flaws was that he would get caught up in combos, and his laggy parachute would never get out in time to stop them. In brawl, the fishbowl has an enormous hit box to the sides and above G&W, and it can easily disrupt things like the WoP. Big defensive option in this.

Dair... great priority on this one. It goes through a lot of Uairs, Utilts, and a few Usmashes, like snakes. It gets predictable with spamming, which isn't a problem if they don't have a way to deal with it. You can slowfall spike with this, but it's hard to do. It works on rather easy on Snake's Cyper, I do believe. Not bad at all.

Uair has some pretty interesting properties. It blows the opponent upwards, and only does damage if hit with his mouth. This is a great way to stall an opponent in the air, and it doubles as a mindgame. Controlling your opponent is always a good thing. Another use for it is to counter gliding. Uair stalls them to the point where gliding ends, and then they go into free fall, which means you can do whatever you want to them!

And UpB counts as part of his air game. It has a good deal of invincibility frames as you jump up, and it has a good deal of priority. You can cancel out of this parachute to any aerial immediately. Key works well.

Ground Game:
3/5 (maybe 4/5)

The weak link of G&W's game. The biggest thing he has going for him is his Dtilt. It makes a great poke because of it's range and speed. It's also amazing at stopping projectiles , i.e. Toon Links arrows and boomerangs, which is great if it's a projectile that isnt bucket able. Speaking of which, the Bucket forces spammers to approach or possibly face the strongest attack in the game. Great defensively and even more so offensively if fully stocked. The bad part of it is the lag time with putting it away.

His Chef makes for a great spacing game against people lacking a projectile game of their own, or just baiting others to use their projectile, which you can almost immediately bucket. Great for edgeguarding. It also traps in opponents who fall fast if they approach from the air.

And his throw game isnt the best, but the Dthrow is among the best throws in the game, as it sets up a great tech chasing game. There are so many options you have after the throw goes off, I don't even want to talk about it! heh.

Back to the Dtilt.... little known fact is that it can keep an opponent against a wall till like 70-100%, and you can immediately do an Fsmash when you think they're almost to the range of escaping.

Smashes are being saved for the killing part, so dont you fret. They are certainly important for his ground game, though.

I'm really considering this a 4, but then G&W seems waaaay to over powered. His ground game is amazing, but not as much so as the rest of his game. So consider this a three if you'd like.

KO potential:
5/5

This is Ike with speed. Thats a bad thing. for everyone else. Smashes kill at obscenely low percents and have a good amount of speed, and the Fsmash LINGERS.
Yeah

They're amazing. Well, the Usmash is the third strongest in the game in terms of power, but you'll have to predict well enough to land this baby. OR, if you Uair stalled a gliding metaknight, this will see uses :D

The chair tilt can kill decently, the Utilt good on low ceiling stages, and the Bair can kill with the last strike at higher percents. Or lower if you're close to the side. Also, stage spikes aren't hard at all with the turtle.

Fair kills really low, and even better, G&W can chase easily off the stage with these.

Keeping this short, but he's deadly.

I'm keeping the rest of these short, so I'm sorry. I'll reply if an interest is shown.

Priority potential:
4/5

G&W has great speed and maneuverability, and a lot of his attacks break through others. All his aerials have amazing priority, his tilts cancel projectiles (minus utilt, but that is great on aerial opponents), and Fsmash lingers past spot dodges. So does Bair. Bucket can almost fully break shields, and can if the shield is the least bit weakened. G&W is incredibly versatile and can space wonders.

Was a 5, but he isn't the absolute best cast member when it comes to priority. There are a few better. So he's now a 4.

Recovery:
4/5

Big buff in his UpB. At the peak of the boost, the parachute comes out and hovers you to safety.

things that make this great:
-auto sweetspots the ledge, so we dont get the snake scenario
-can cancel to aerials immediately
-Great distance, period.
-If you hadn't used your second jump, if you use an attack, you can then use it
-good amount of invincibility frames
-can cancel a meteor :D

not as great as someone like R.O.B.'s, but is among the very best.

Set-up/Combo potential:
5/5

A lot of his attacks can go into others, especially his aerials. Stuff like the Turtle and Fishbowl do multihits and puts them in good positions to follow up. Up B fits into a lot of combos, and Key Spike to Dtilt is pretty easy to do.

You can do something like this

Bair -> Fast falled Nair to the ground -> Utilt -> Up B -> Fishbowl
without them even hoping to DI out of it
I believe.

So yeah. Kept the bottom half of this short, so if you have a problem with something, I'll try to reply.

26-27/30

G&W is too good to be anything less than High Tier. I'm thinking he's going to see top.
As I see it right now, mr Game and Watch will never see the likes of middle tier throughout brawls lifetime.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Pit:

Aerial- 3
His moves in the air are pretty good. Most of them come out fast and all of them are disjointed hit-boxes. His biggest problem in the air, though, is landing. Most of his air moves have a lot of landing lag. It also doesn't help that the moves have very little range, which hurts since you need to use those moves to approach.

Ground- 4
His ground moves are much better than his air. They all, generally, come out very fast and move right into other attacks. His most notable kill move is his F-smash. The problem with this though is the wind up time between the first and the second hit of it. If they shield it, they can grab, roll or spotdodge before the second part starts. Aside from that, his ground stuff is very quick and efficient, and, also, all disjointed.

KO- 4
He doesn't have many kill moves. Most characters have Bair kill move, if not all. This is no exception for Pit. His Bair is insanely good if you time it right. Other moves that kill are the Fsmash, Ftilt, and Glide attack. The problem with these other moves is that it usually requires a percent around 150 than something like 100 for the Bair (with no diminishes on it). So, he has one awesome kill move an a few to back it up. On top of that, you can also half-way juggle people off the side by Fair-ing them to death. It's a bit harder on some stages and characters, but it can be done.

Priority- 2
Pit doesn't seem to have a lot of priority. All of his moves seem to clank with everything. If you are being onslaughted by Pit and you pull off any move, it may interrupt the Pit just enough to stop him. Note though, this doesn't mean he's getting hit, it just means you clanked with their move.

Recovery- 3
Now, I know a lot of you are thinking, auto-5, but I really have to disagree. Yes, it is true that his Up B does take him far and so do his 4 jumps plus glide. The jumps and glide are enough to make him at least decent! The problem comes with the Up B. If you use the jumps and glide and still aren't back yet and you use the Up B... you better make sure not to get hit. If you get touched while up B'ing with Pit, you lose all recovery. I've seen Pit die from a Pikachu shock going down the side of the stage, a Rob top, a Turnip, Pk Thunder, Needles, etc. If Pit uses his Up B, he get's knocked out so fast it's sad. (This was hard, I wanted to say 4, but thought that may be a bit too much, and vise vera for 3)

Combos- 4
I think Pit was made to rack-up damage. His moves, in general, have little knock back, hit consecutively, and are hard to get out of in most cases. If it weren't for the small hitlag in Brawl, I would expect to see a lot more combos with him. He has a few this-combos-to-this situations, like the Hold A move into the forward B, the down throw into Up Air, Glide attack to upsmash, etc. there are a lot of options. I think, if there was a way to make him move faster, then he would be absolutely perfect in this, but his aerials have to much lag time on them to do anything more than 2-3 consecutive hits, so he's no where near broken.

I give Pit a 20 (3+4+4+2+3+4)/30 on your scale.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I think that we should consider a projectile (or spacies ability) categorie... And we should distinguish from a close - combat categorie.

Think to the difference between Pit and a Marth, or a Falco and a Ike...

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lucario
Recovery: 4 (hes very floaty so edgehogging is pointless when he can just float back to the stage
haha, he sucks at recovery dude. floatyness makes you more vulnerable.

Aerial Game, Ground Game, KO potential, Priority potential, Recovery, and Set-up/Combo potential.

lucario-secondary

pikachu-secondary

olimar-main :)

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
Ike

Aerial Game: 3 (Great aerial attacks...crappy mobility.)
Ground Game: 2 (Strong and slow. Gee, isn't that helpful that his mobility still kind of sucks?)
KO potential: 5 (The enemy is smacked back by every freaking move he has.)
Priority potential: 4 (Having a huge sword sure helps priority. Sometimes slow, but usually not that big of a problem.)
Recovery: 2 (Bleh, small jumps and he's flatout screwed if he's hit diagonally downwards. Quick Draw can be gimped. Aether, not so much, but still.)
Set-up/Combo potential: 2 (Down throw to Aether. Forward/backward throw off the stage to Dair. Yeah.)

For a whopping total of 18/30, he gets a D minus.

Ness

Aerial Game: 5 (Godly. Fast (except Dair) attacks, easily chainable, great mobility.)
Ground Game: 3 (Nowhere near as good. It serves its purpose to get the enemy into the air, though.)
KO potential: 4 (Great options. Sweetspotted Bair, Back Throw, and PKT2. I actually think I missed something.)
Priority potential: 2 (Er...I'm not really sure on this. His attacks come out pretty quick, but the range isn't so hot.)
Recovery: 3 (If you're not stupid, you'll be able to get on without trouble. Just don't go next to the edge and use PKT and you're fine. Jumps are excellent.)
Combo potential: 5 (Wow. PK Fire to everything, Down Throw to Fair, Nair/Fair/Bair/Uair to Nair/Fair/Bair/Uair, it's incredible.)

22/30, a C. Good, I suppose.

FranJan

Smash Rookie
If I want to see people praising their own characters, I'll go to Tier Discussion, kthnx.
this is more of an understanding why we think our characters are good and how that differs from other's points of views instead of everyone just bashing on each other of how ignorant someone is. You the player knows better than anyone what your character excels in and what you might find lacking. And if you must know I'm a Tekken player and for the longest time people couldn't agree on the tier list so they did something similar to this because it answers the question of "why someone is better?" than "who is better?"

FranJan

Smash Rookie
I think that we should consider a projectile (or spacies ability) categorie... And we should distinguish from a close - combat categorie.

Think to the difference between Pit and a Marth, or a Falco and a Ike...
I thought about that but i thought of projectiles and other special moves as more of a sub category because you can easily put that under any of the categories like how marth's sword dance would give him good priorty or how you might be able to put it in set up after he does the launch in one of his combos. Pit's arrows can easily be put into how he's such a solid ground fighter. Ike's forward B can be out under recovery or his combo/set-up since if you miss with it you can still do his 3 hit combo after.

Browny

Smash Hater
haha, he sucks at recovery dude. floatyness makes you more vulnerable.
now look at it my way, which characters are able to recover better than lucario? ROB, Jiggs, dedede, kirby, luigi, MK, G&W, peach, pikachu, pit, rob, toon link, wario. possibly ice climbers ,marth and diddy kong. remember lucario can beat any would be pursuers back with his superior aerials, and floatiness isnt a bad thing sine his d-air is quite possibly the best in the game. no one is going to juggle him when hes got that. so thats about around 13-15 characters with better recoveries, and unless all of them are better, lucario therefore ranks a 4.

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede

Aerial Game: 4/5

Dedede has great aerials, he can follow his aerials with more aerials very well. They all have good knockback potential. Dedede has very good mobilitiy in the air and the only real problem is that there are characters with faster aerials with just as good mobility.

Ground Game: 3/5

Dedede has really good control over the ground, but even though he has a good ground game, it just isn't fast enough.

KO potential: 5/5

Almost everything Dedede has can be used to KO. He has some early KO moves (Forward Smash and Dededecide/Inhale Stage Spike), quick moves that kill a little later like Up-Tilt and B-air , and he can kill very easily with his edge guarding. Really isn't anything bad about his KO potential.

Priority potential: 4/5

Dedede has good priority with nice size hit boxes and a hammer that can reach longer than the sword users.

Recovery: 5/5

Dedede has four mid air jumps and a Up Special that can be controlled horizontally and goes very high up. When Dedede isn't KO'd from boundaries, your more than likely to get the recovery.

Set-up/Combo potential: 4/5

He can juggle with his U-Tilt, N-Air, and U-Air. Chain grabbing ability is nuts and you can chain toghther your aerials for a semi-WoP. Very good combo potential.

25/30: I defiantly would say Dedede is one of the upper characters, but defiantly not in the top 3.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'll bite.

Lucas:
Aerial Game: 4 - An aerial for every situation. Spacing, shield pressure, extra damage to the tune of 20% a pop, and two (count 'em) meteors. Only aerial that could disappear without me complaining is the uair.

Ground Game: 5 - All-around fast (except for that usmash...), and not a whole lot of lag (at the very least, the stick is faster than Ness's bat). Oh, and PEEKAY FIYAH!!!

KO potential: 5 - All of his smashes KO at fairly low percents. PK Thunder and Freeze almost make hitting offstage targets too easy. Two meteors sweeten the deal.

Priority potential: 3 - Except for his usmash, I don't think Lucas has that much priority in his attacks. IMO his array of projectiles makes up for this somewhat. Also, the PSI in his moves boosts their range somewhat. Still not up to par with the swordsmen or characters like Olimar, though.

Recovery: 4 - Zap Jumping (EDIT: and Magnet Pulling) gets him absurd OBSCENE distance if you can pull it off consistently, and his PKT2 goes so much farther than Ness's it's not even funny. And ramming someone with it doesn't **** the distance it covers. And you can't gimp him by staying above his head, since PK Thunder goes through anything that's not a solid wall/platform. And he still has the Rope Snake for a tether recovery. Only thing keeping him from a 5 is that projectiles and reflection/absorption techniques can still gimp PK Thunder.

Set-up/combo potential: 1 - Lucas simply doesn't use combos. He builds damage a hit at a time (or several, if you're spamming PK Fire) and relies on the range granted by his PSI and the individual knockback from each attack to keep him safe. Closest thing he has to a combo is spamming dair for damage, I think.

TOTAL: 22/30 I'm too lazy to figure out the percent, but I know it's greater than 66%. Yay, he passes! ^_^

EDITS: Added a recovery technique I forgot about, edited score by one point in combo potential.

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
Diddy

Aerial Game: 3/5
Fairly average. Fair can kill, and you can SHDBair. Nair is fast and pretty lagless. Dair spikes, but a fairly small hitbox. Uair, I don't have much to say about, but no real killing potential. Oh, and side special can gimp like a mofo if you get your opponent over the edge. Just press up and it spikes them and gives you enough boost to recover from most anything.

Ground Game: 5/5
This part is with bananas also included, since I can't give a 6/5 on combo for the bananas.
Ok, first off, dash attack is fast, multi hit, grabs bananas, and combos well at low %. Ftilt and Dtilt are decent, but not too special. Utilt is great, good for damage building a low %. Fsmash is a decent kill move, at higher percent. Dsmash kills well, and has good range for diddy. Usmash can't really kill, but it does decent enough damage. Lastly, bananas. Bananas are god. Seriously, the mindgames, spacing, and just overall setup potential of bananas are over the top. Gliding banana tosses give it huge range, and you can get lucky with tech chases by the banana. There used to be a vid of a diddy being chased 5 times by his own nanner. Anyways, the can interupt attacks, keep the opponent on the defensive, and control territory. Just too good.

KO potential: 2/5
Sad to say, diddy has some killing problems. His smashes don't kill well. His Fair does, but you still have to chase them off the stage. Gimps and spikes are usable, but not that often. So, he can have some problems.

Priority: 4/5
Given that speed and range are lumped together, I gave this a 4. Diddy has range issues outside of his bananas, but his speed is really good. Not much to say.

Recovery: 4/5
Diddy's recovery is pretty good. Jumps are decent, and his side be recovers, thwarts attackers, and still allows up b as long as you don't kick from it. UpB works well, though it charges slowly and is fairly vulnerable. Even so, Diddys got a pretty good recovery.

Set-up/combo: 5/5
If all he had was bananas, diddy would still get 5/5 for setups. They are just too good. However, he's got some other combos as well, such as dashattack>>utilt>>utilt at low percent. Plus, his dash attack flows into almost anything, as do most of his aerials.

Total: 23/30
Hes not the best, but with his bananas, hes still an insane force of being a PITA.
Also, if there was another category I could add points to for bananas, I would. Hes more of a 24 or 25 pt char, given proper banana usage.

Wow, 100 posts. Yay. Well, as of the one just 2 below.

CrazyShaman

Smash Apprentice
Yep, I noticed that after seeing the lucas one, and thinking, hey, hes got prettymuch the same numbers, but his total score is higher. Then I realized it. It's fixed now.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Using these categories: Aerial, Ground, KO Potential, Priority, Recovery, Setup/Combo

Pikachu (Main)
Aerial - 4/5 --> Nair is quick and reliable, both drills are useful (Fair preferred more), and Uair can pester anyone who has poor aerial game.
Ground - 5/5 --> Dsmash wins everything. Then there's Thunder, Thunder Jolt, Fsmash, Utilt... everything's good when on all fours. Plus those throw attacks can chain like crazy (Down and Forward).
KO Potential - 5/5 --> Dsmash, Fsmash and Thunder for serious annoyance and Thunder Jolt can create kill opportunities.
Priority - 3/5 --> Probably one of Pikachu's weaker points. Aside from a connecting Thunder, Thunder Jolt and a good ranged Fsmash, Pikachu relies more on close combat. With its small frame, it might be hard to hit other ranged or speedy attackers.
Recovery - 5/5 --> Any good Pikachu player uses Skull Bash and Quick Attack to mastery. Both cover a lot of space although it's not quite Luigi/Pit/Jigglypuff-ish. Still very good for a non-flyer/floater.
Setup/Combo - 4/5 --> With Pikachu's speed, a player can get a little creative with the combo strategy. The QAC helps setup Pikachu for pretty much anything as long as the player is in control.

Total - 26/30 (Seems a little over-scored a bit, doesn't it? Well, aside from ratings, Pikachu is still a lightweight, so the rating is probably off a bit. Perhaps 23-24 is a more accurate score overall.)

Falco (Secondary)
Aerial - 3/5 --> A lot of comboing in the air and the Bair is very useful for stalling and KOing. Fair feels a bit strange sometimes and Uair is hit or miss, which can be bad.
Ground - 5/5 --> Utilt for speedy attacks (plus setup), decent Smashes all around and the Blaster gives a nice flinching effect for small but accumulating damage.
KO Potential - 3/5 --> A bit hard to KO with Falco. Fsmash and a well connected Bair can kill, but he's pretty much left with little option when zoning in for the kill. A bit predictable when it comes down to killing and Falco is better as a comboing character.
Priority - 3/5 --> Not bad for a close combat fighter. Blaster helps create some distance, and his other specials have decent range if ever used as direct attacks. His arms should be used more than his legs, meaning Nair, Utilt and Fsmash.
Recovery - 3/5 --> Still a bit of an Achilles' heel, but his jumps are so good it almost makes up for the lack of distance in his recoveries (plus the floaty feel helps). The Illusion seems more useful than the Fire Bird although it has less spiking potential than before.
Setup/Combo - 5/5 --> Falco is made to combo. Utilt can combo and setup other combos and his neutral attack can be used as infinite strikes against a solid wall. Fair and Nair are viable choices in the air, although again, Fair feels weird.

Total - 22/30 (An appropriate score. Probably shades under the other Space Animals but I prefer the combo abilities of Falco. I think he's a little underappreciated at times but he's a very good character.)

Quick run through of other characters I play without explanations using the same categories.
Ness - 5/3/4/4/4/5 adding up to 25/30.
Lucas - 3/5/5/4/4/4 adding up to 25/30.
Ike - 1/4/5/5/2/3 adding up to 20/30.
Sonic - 2/3/2/1/5/4 adding up to 17/30.
Bowser - 3/5/5/4/4/3 adding up to 24/30.
Peach - 3/3/3/3/5/4 adding up to 21/30.
Olimar - 5/5/4/3/1/4 adding up to 22/30.

Yeah, all personal opinions.

Top Bottom