• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Dr. Eggman

Chances: 12%

While Dr. Eggman is surely a highly requested character, more Sonic reps may be out of the question for DLC at the moment due to variety reason (and the fact that Sonic is a third party)

Want: 100%

The more Sonic reps the merrier!

Dr. Eggman would be a fantastic addition to Smash. He could use his charisma and crazy inventions to defeat Bowser in battle! Dr.Eggman is the best part of the new Sonic show and I would love to see him get the spotlight. (Even though Eggman won't like the idea of no customs)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Well, we've reached 200 pages of debating and giving chances!

As for my chances:

Dr. Eggman/Robotnik
Chance: 9%
Dr. Eggman's competition comes from his third-party status, and the other potential Sonic characters, such as Tails and Knuckles. Outside of that - he's a pretty viable choice for a third-party villain. I don't see him winning the Ballot, but he could become playable in future Smash games.

Want:75%
Having Eggman piloting this bad-boy would be pretty awesome to see in Smash Bros. He'd be a pretty cool addition, but he's not entirely high on my priority list.

Adventure Mode -
Chance: 3%
Being a new mode, it'd require quite a fair bit of development time, which I'm not certain is going to be put on a mode like this.

Want: 70%
Adventure Mode was a fun addition to Melee - so I wouldn't mind them bringing it back next time.

Nominations: Isaac (Golden Sun) X5
Delphox prediction: 2.18%

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Dr. Eggman's Chance: 30%
Being one of the most iconic baddies in gaming history, even more-so than fan favorites like K. Rool and Ridley, there's no doubt he's worthy of inclusion. With that said, fan support is more focused on Tails, Knuckles and Shadow which means he doesn't really have much demand.

Dr. Eggman's Want: 95%
The Sonic series, despite being third party, feels underutilized with only Sonic playable. Eggman is a fun character who would translate well into Smash Bros and use his various gadgets and Badniks at his disposal and be very unique.

----------

Adventure Mode's Chance: 5%
Something on that scale would take lots of time and resources to create and implement. With Sakurai continuously emphasizing how limited his time left to work on dlc, it doesn't look too likely.

Adventure Mode's Want: 0%
When it comes to dlc, I only want additional characters and stages. Any big modes like this should be saved for Smash Bros 5.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
U NO WUT DAY SAY

DA MOAR DA MERRIER

Chance: 6%

A second rep from the same company? Give the other third parties a chance.

Want: 0%

Pass.

-------

Adventure mode

Chance: 5%

This game's modes seem to be established and I don't see them adding a mode of this scale.

I love the SSE. Why did it have to be cut?

Prediction:

Delphox: 3%

Unpopular character: 50%

Nominate: *abstain*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Robotnik
Wait... no one calls him that anymore...
Eggman
Chance:
10%

I'll repost what I said about Tails because my thoughts for Tails are the same for Eggman.
Tails
Chance:
10%

Now... hear me out on this.
I do think that a 2nd Sonic character is pretty plausible now with the addition of Ryu.
Why? Ryu shows that a company can get a second character, meaning that a second Sonic character can happen. While Sega has its other franchises, they arguably aren't as influential or as popular as Sonic.
The Sonic fans will demand for a second character and we have some pretty iconic characters within this franchise that I bet will do pretty OK on the ballot. The three that stand out to me are Tails (the sidekick, Sonic's Luigi), Knuckles (the popular echidna that doesn't chuckle and rather flex his muscles), and Eggman (the main villain).
And while he is a background element in Green Hill Zone for the 3DS, it can simply be removed, much like if you play on Dream Land with King Dedede.
Now, I think the series has a 30% chance of getting a new character, 10% each for Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman. I don't think the chances are high because I don't think that the same case with a Capcom character will happen again, but I will not deny the possibility.

To be honest, I am a Sonic fan and I wouldn't mind a second character in the series.
I am a Sonic fan. I would love to have another Sonic character.

Adventure Mode
Chance:
5%

With the limited amount of staff working on the DLC, I am unsure if they have the manpower to create another mode, especially an Adventure Mode.
Want: 25%
Well... that depends.
If it's arcadic in its design like in Melee and allows us to fight a bunch of enemies in the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Bionis, etc., then I would be all for it!
But it's a story mode like Brawl's, I will oppose it. That took up too much time and I rather that time be spent on other things.

Delphox Prediction: 2.49%
I dunno.
Unpopular DLC Character Prediction: ...Umm... 24.85%?
What does this mean? Unpopular in this thread or unpopular in general? What qualifies as unpopular? We need an explanation when we have these vague concepts.

EDIT: Added in the extra nominations.
Nominations: Corrin 10x

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Low on time today, so I'm having to go rather fast...

Dr. Eggman

Chance- 5%
Plausible, though I don't think we will get more third party characters for DLC. Everything else has already been said.
Want- 10%
Certainly a worthy character, and Sonic would be the first third party series that I'd want to see have two reps. Still not sure if I want that, though, and if I did, Tails would be my first choice.

DLC Adventure Mode
Chance- 4%
Strangely lacking, so maybe it'd show up… but I don't think they have the manpower for it.
Want- 75%
Wouldn't mind seeing it, especially if it is like Melee's. But it would take a lot of time that could be put elsewhere.

Delphox Predictions- 2.5%
Unpopular DLC Character Predictions- 40%
Nominations:

Porky x5

D

Deleted member

I can't give an in-depth analysis today, sorry:
Dr Eggman:
Chance:3%
Want:51%

Adventure Mode:
Chance:1.55%
Want:
60%
------------------------------
Predictions:
Random Pokemon:3.54%
Unpopular dlc character:6.43%
I assume by "unpopular" it means either:
-lack of request on fan polls.
-lack of ballot popularity.
-almost nonexistent fanbase.
-in other words, something among the lines of WFT, a character no one wanted (or even thought of) before it's reveal.
------------------------------
Noms:
Tetris stage X5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Since some people seem confused by how to define "unpopular character", I'd say it would be either:
- characters barely seriously considered most people don't care much about, catching most of the fanbase off-guard and confusing them with a notable amount of initial negative reception (like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt);
- or characters infamous to get mostly opposition prior to their reveal (like Dark Pit).

I think most character with both a low chances and want score may fall in the first category, while only a few (Pichu and Young Link on the top of my head) fall into the second. Some characters like Waluigi or Paper Mario are heavily controversial, but I wouldn't call them "unpopular", they fall under the same category as Roy prior to his reveal if you want my opinion.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik

Chance - 0.23% - Maybe has some support, but I would put more faith in other third parties.

Want - 20% - Meh, we kinda already have what he could offer in Jr., so I say someone else.

Adventure mode

Chance - 2.4% - Eh. Just gonna repeat what I did for the older classic vote yesterday.

Want - 60% - Eh. Same want score too, I guess. Something to do that might be interesting, but I'm not certain if it's worth the work.

Predictions

Delphox - 1.65% - We got several fire-users already, so it's gonna be tough.

Unpopular Character - 2.79% - A real tossup, considering most of us don't even seem to agree what defines an unpopular character in the first place.

Nominations
Secondary ballot X5

Laniv

Smash Lord
E.G.G.M.A.N.:

Chance: 2.4%
Somewhat likely after Ryu, but other characters have priority.

Want: 70%
I'd prefer Tails, but...

DLC Adventure mode:

Chance: 4%
Ehhhh, it's looking tough, considering the reduced team.

Want: 50%
Sure, why not?

Predictions for Delphox: 1% Chance, 17% Want
Predictions for Unpopular DLC Character: 2% Chance, 40% Want

Nominate Isabelle x 5

I wish he kept the name Robotnik.
Ivo Robotnik is much preferrable to me over eggman. .

chance 1%
3rd party. If it weren't for tails and Knuckles this would probably be higher. But currently there is a bit of competition

want 50%
you know what they say!
Mechs are cool and likely so would evil Roosevelt. Of course he would be stepping all over porky's toes. . .

Adventure mode
chance 0%
same as another classic mode. it's way too much work

want
75%
adventure mode was so fun as a kid. Exploring areas in smash context is great.

predictions
Delphox 1%
unpopular (this will be fun!) 15%

noms
Iwata tribute 2
next smash has new director 3

Ive noticed that Iwata has 2 or 3 separate nominations including a tribute and a trophy. of course a trophy WOULD be a tribute. so can we fuse those?

Troykv

Smash Master
Dr. Eggman

Tails:

Chance: 10%

Ryu open the door to Iconic characters... Maybe?
Want: 75%

Eggman is a really cool villain.

Concept DLC Adventure Mode:

A lot of work to do, but no impossible.

Want: Abstain

Depends the price that could has the game mode.

Predictions:

Depholx: 2.3%
Unpopular DLC Character: 25% (I actually think that this is possible).

Nominations:

Rerate!Micaiah x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Since some people seem confused by how to define "unpopular character", I'd say it would be either:
- characters barely seriously considered most people don't care much about, catching most of the fanbase off-guard and confusing them with a notable amount of initial negative reception (like Wii Fit Trainer or Duck Hunt);
- or characters infamous to get mostly opposition prior to their reveal (like Dark Pit).

I think most character with both a low chances and want score may fall in the first category, while only a few (Pichu and Young Link on the top of my head) fall into the second. Some characters like Waluigi or Paper Mario are heavily controversial, but I wouldn't call them "unpopular", they fall under the same category as Roy prior to his reveal if you want my opinion.
Exactly. ;)

Nominations:
X5 Corrin

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Eggman:

Chance: 4%
Want: 20%

I think Eggman would be a neat character if portrayed properly, but I'm not a fan of Eggman himself.

Adventure Mode:

I miss this mode a lot, but at the same time, I do not play it that often.

Nominations:
Full Ken Alt for Ryu x5

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Eggman
Chance: 1.5%
Even if the Sonic franchise got the opportunity to include another character on the roster, it would more than likely be Tails. Smash has always added the sidekick before the antagonist when representing its franchises with multiple characters. I'll give The E.G.G.M.A.N. a small score of 1.5%.
His chances aren't so sunny side up...

Want: 5%
Tails is the only additional Sonic character that I would like to see become playable someday.

DLC Adventure Mode
Chance: 14%
It all depends what they're working on behind the scenes besides characters, stages, and Mii Costumes. I kind of have my doubts that they're thinking of adding an entire fully fleshed out mode to the game. Well, something that has a grander scale than Tourney Mode. I'll give this adventurous concept a score of 14%.
Hopefully we'll get additional modes like this for the next Smash...

It would be a cool distraction for a while, but I would rather see the team devote their time to creating new characters.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Eggman
Want: 45%

I'm not the biggest fan of the Sonic series, but Robotnik would be a pretty cool character me-thinks~

Adventure Mode
Want: 90%

I loved Melee's Adventure Mode and would love to see it brought back.

Predictions:
Delphox - 5%
Unpopular DLC character - 8%

Nominations:
Gardevoir x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Dr. Eggman

With Ryu's inclusion into Smash Bros, Namco and Sega are now open to the possibility of adding another character to represent themselves. With Sega's case, one option could be Dr. Eggman. Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most iconic video game series around, so the inclusion of another Sonic character is understandable. Dr. Eggman would be one of the more likely picks along with Tails and Shadow (though Shadow is already an Assist Trophy) because he has the villain status going for him and is an iconic character, being the Bowser to Sonic. He could also be interesting with the use of robots for his moveset. Aside from that, his chances aren't the best. His third party status still hurts him, and he doesn't have much ballot support compared to characters like King K. Rool or Wolf, not to mention he has to compete with Tails for the second Sonic series rep.

While I do think Dr. Eggman would be very interesting for a fighter, I would prefer seeing Tails or Shadow join the roster as the second Sonic rep.

Adventure Mode

Adventure Mode is something that fans love for quite some time, so it has the nostalgia factor going for it. Outside of that, the main issue with this concept is that it would take a lot of time to develop, especially if we are talking about a Subspace Emissary style Adventure Mode. Sakura even stated that he didn't include an SE-style Adventure Mode all because people could spoil the cutscenes for themselves by watching it online, so that also lowers the chances of this concept happening. However, if we are talking about a Melee-style Adventure mode, I think this style Adventure Mode has a better chance because it wouldn't take as much time to develop. Even this kind of Adventure Mode, however, is still in question. Of course, either Adventure Mode could still be included considering Sakurai's comment about adding new modes through DLC.

Want: 65%

I wouldn't mind seeing an Adventure Mode being included through DLC. It would put all of the Smash Run enemies to actual use on the WiiU. While I would love to see a story-style Adventure Mode like the Subspace Emissary, I also would be OK with a Melee-style Adventure Mode that could would include some Boss Battles like those from Brawl, except this time, more series would be represented.

Predictions:

Delphox (Pokemon): 2.01%
Unpopular Character joins the roster through DLC: 40.47%

Nominations:

Gallade (Pokemon): x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Dr. Eggman's chances: 5%

A second Sonic character is a possibility, but I feel Tails is the most likely pick for that role. He faces competition from Knuckles as well.

Despite Eggman being my favorite Sonic character, I've never been at all interested in him possibly being in Smash. If Sonic had to get another character (which I don't particularly want, despite being a fan of the series), I would much rather have Tails or Knuckles.

Adventure Mode's chances: 0.5%

Same as classic. I don't think they'll do more modes that require a lot of work.

I actually did not like Melee's adventure mode, and I'd rather see more characters and stages than an SSE type-thing, so either way, I'll pass.

Delphox prediction: 2.44%
Unpopular character prediction: 20.38%

Nominations: Corrin x5

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Eggman

Chances: 20%
His support base is inferior to Shadow's, Knuckle's, and Tail's( especially Tail's) and 2/3 of them aren't even at the higher levels of popularity to begin with.

With that being said, I need to understand something. Most of you guys are using "he's a third party character" as an argument, but don't go into further detail about why this actually matters. So I'll ask, why do you think that argument holds any weight when it comes to Eggman( or any Sonic character for that matter)?! Sega is on great terms with Nintendo( as they are still collaborating with them) and Nintendo clearly doesn't care about more 3rd parties joining the roster, so there's hardly an issues when it comes to obtaining the rights. So is there something that justifies this line of thinking or not?

Want: 10%
It's not that I wouldn't like his inclusion, but I'm not really all that interested in his potential moveset.

Adventure mode

Chances: 13%

The guys who want this as DLC are too few in numbers, and because they can't use the ballot to support this idea( or can they...) I don't think there'll be any way to get Sakurai and his team to work on the idea.

Yes I want this, I loved Melee adventure mode, Subspace, and I still believe that Smash run is the best idea to ever hit Smash bros.( damn those limitations, it would've been perfect if it weren't for them). Having a proper adventure mode for the Wii U version would be incredible.

Nominations:

New Mii fighter( Mii Lancer, Mii dual wielder) x3
Chrom as Roy costume x2

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dr. Eggman

No Support & Knuckles! Get a load of this!

You know what they say, the more the merrier!

Concept DLC Adventure Mode:

Sakurai: No, way I can't believe this!

Want: 80%

You think this is something I'd want to fail? Away from me or else I'll make mince meat out of you!

Predictions:

Depholx: 2%
Unpopular DLC Character: 16%

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice I'll probably have the updated nominations list up tomorrow when I have more time on my hands.

Eggman
Chance: 1% - I definitely believe a second Sonic rep can happen but I have a lot of difficulty seeing him get in over the more popular Tails or Knuckles.
Want: 10% - Well my little sister likes this character for some reason.

Adventure Mode
Chance: 0% - It's too late for this. It would take far too much time and effort.

Want: 100% - Not that I'd be opposed to it.

DAY OVER
CONGRATULATIONS EVERYONE ON HITTING 200 PAGES

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
EGGMAN
CHANCE: 6.50%
WANT: 45.19%

CONCEPT: DLC ADVENTURE
CHANCE: 5.74%
WANT: 63.00
Next up we're rating Delphox and the concept of an unpopular DLC character making it in. Also please predict what score Corrin (who got 35 nominations today alone and climbed the entire nominations list in a span of just over a week) and the concept of a secondary ballot will get tomorrow.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

What? It's Delphox.

Chances: 3%

You know, any Pokemon that isn't being bandwagoned around is automatically seen as having lower chances. The Hoenn starters have all the popularity. Multiple Pokemon from one generation is certainly not impossible, though. But perhaps, to the dev team's eyes, Gen 6 is complete with Greninja.

Another one of those underdogs that I'd like.

Unpopular character:

Chances: 70%

Yes, you heard me. I believe this to be that likely. Obviously there will be some popular picks, but sometimes popular doesn't warrant inclusion as we've seen in the past. Sakurai could see potential in an unpopular character and sucker punch all of us.

On one hand, it's not likely to be my unpopular character. On the other, how this would drastically alter speculation would be interesting to see.

Predictions:

-Corrin: 5%
-Secondary Ballot: 10%

Nominate: Rundas x5

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Delphox:
Delphox is just a random Pokemon. The only thing she has going for her is that she's a starter and sort of relevant (not really).
Delphox was the lamest of the three starters in X and Y. Didn't really like her at all and would not want her as a playable character in Smash.

Concept Unpopular DLC Character:

Sakurai has said that from now on, all DLC characters would be fan service and picking an unpopular character is not fan service. There's little chance of this happening but Sakurai is pretty unpredictable.
I mean it really depends on who the unpopular character they would pick, if this did happen, is. If its someone like Goku from Yuyuki, I'd be 100% down for it, but if its like Birdo, I'd hate the idea.

Predictions:
Kamui/Corrin: 10%
Concept Second Ballot: 5%

Nominations:
Samurai Goroh 3x
Iwata Trophy 2x#

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Delphox

Chance: 1%
One of the 6th Gen starters Delphox received an unfortunate amount of hate upon it's reveal, due to it's design...However Delphox firstly broke a trend with fire type starters by being the first Fire/Psychic type starter, while Chesnaught recieved the fighting type for this gen...However it is rather likely that both Delphox and Chesnaught were considered for Smash, but Greninja was the chosen pokemon, possibly due to it's Water bending ninja skills...

There's a few problems in Delphox's way, first a lot of Smash fans don't want another pokemon, despite how much potential any pokemon could garner as a Smash fighter, second we did receive Mewtwo already for DLC, possibly diminsihing the chances of us getting another pokemon character, then finally Delphox doesn't really have that much support, for a pokemon...Scpetile is still leading the charge and afterwards Squirtle and Ivysaur follow closely behind with their vet status. Delphox may have a unique niche being a fire elemental spellcaster but being a fire type may have Sakurai second guessing his decision, probably a factor that played against Delphox when deciding upon a 6th Gen pokemon for Smash.

I personally don't think we'll get any more pokemon for DLC, and even still Delphox has a lot to go up against just within teh same franchise

----

Want: 65%
At first I wasn't a fan of Delphox Fennekin was this cute little fennec fox that turned into this weird looking witch fox, I never hated it (just prefered the ninja frog) but after a while I got used to the design...A combination of foreseeing psychic abilities and fire attacks may prove to make a very interesting fighter, but at the end of the day Delphox probably missed it's chance, unless Smash gets big enough to one day house all of the starters (which would be probably a 200 character roster which is not likely ever going to happen)...

----

Concept: Unpopular DLC Character

Chance: Abstain
This concept is too vague to really accurately judge...on one hand Sakurai is notorius for adding characters out of left field, on the other hand this was for the base roster, each character wasn't being sold seperately...
Then there's the likelihood of 'unpopular' simply meaning a character without a lot of support from the fighter ballot...:4ryu: pretty much made this 100% in this case as he was barely mentioned at all as a DLC character...he only did so well in the RTC because we rated him after his data was leaked in the game...There's also 'deconfirmed' characters who are still wanted but there support has greatly diminished due to their status in game...which is also unfortunate...
Finally there's those characters that are simply, 'I didn't ask for this, and do not want!' :4darkpit: you think people were upset about Dark Pit being a fighter in the base roster, just imagine how salty the community would be if he was made for DLC...of course there are some more controversial characters :4feroy:, that still had a decent amount of support behind them...

Overall this is way to vague for me to accurately vote...so I'll sit this one out....

----

I was going to abstain also for want, but Want score is one that get outliers a lot more often than chance and it's based on opinion anyways...I put it as even because on one hand I support some characters that may be 'unpopular' in the ballot, while on the other hand there are some characters that I really really, REALLY, hope do not get in teh game, and a lot of other people share my sentiment in that regard...I won't name any names, specifically....but I'll just leave this as a coin flip...

----

Prediction:
Corrin: 3.2%
We probably should've rated him/her the same day as Azura, but whatevs...oh yeah...he/she/it/them are/is a Fire Emblem character...so speaking on unpopular choices...

Secondary Ballot: 6.3%
I think I get what this concept is about, the current ballot finishes then another ballot opens having fans vote on some of teh popular picks from the first....personally, I think this is just too redundant and kinda ruins the point of the first ballot...

----

Nominations:
I'll use my extra noms from yesterday...as I didn't get the chance to edit my nominations by the time I found out I won...
Concept: New Metroid Prime stage x6
Concept: Iwata Trophy/Tribute x2
Concept: Tetris Stage x2

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Delphox

We're unlikely to get another Pokémon newcomer. We've got three Pokévets waiting in the wings, and even they seem unlikely. With over 700 choices, even if we assume that a good 90% of them are not Smash material, that still leaves over 70 viable choices. What makes Delphox special? We've got representation from the newest gen, we've got representation from a fire type and a psychic type, and I think that hits most of the arguments about the Pokémon people want to bandwagon on. Besides, if you want a mage in a dress who can shoot fire, she's been in the game since Melee.:zeldamelee::zelda::4zelda:
Unpopular Character

Chance: 25%
Want: ...yes, I totally want a character who is unwanted by almost everyone...[/sarcasm]
A vanilla roster can have loads of these WTF characters (WFT, DHD), but that doesn't mean that people will like them. I really don't hear much from WFT anymore - she was cool for a few months, and now not many people seem to like her anymore. DHD on the other hand, has a nice fanbase, if only so some people can finally get their revenge on that mutt. (I love DHD).

However, we now have to worry about limited DLC slots, and the fact that people have the option not to buy a character they don't want. I feel that if WFT came out now, very few would spend the $5 to get that character when they really don't care much in the first place. I know that so many people are trolling to put Reckless Wiimote Safety Silhouette in, but who would buy that outside of people wanting a joke? The majority of people would roll their eyes and move on, which is not good for a business.

In terms of a character met with opposition, that's bound to happen. The next character announced will spawn at least one thread which will be locked immediately complaining about how that was the worst choice ever and he's so stupid/old/big/lame/whatever and the slot could have been better used by [fill in the blank]. Not everyone will be happy. I do think that we'll probably end up getting most DLC characters to be liked by many - I wouldn't be surprised if every DLC we get has already been rated in this thread and received a want score of over 50% - since they want to make fanservice characters who'll sell. But that won't stop people complaining about the next one introduced. And since we all have our personal lists of who we do and don't want, it's going to be impossible to find a character that nobody's put on the "DO NOT WANT" list.

Sakurai said the rest will be fanservice, so I'd expect the rest to be liked by a majority of the fanbase. But anything can happen...
(Took me a while to figure out who Corrin was - always a good sign for a character) Prediction: 5.7%
Secondary Ballot Prediction: 2.5%

Nom: Tag team stock mode x5

Last edited:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Delphox
Chance 6%
Want 6%

Unpopular DLC character
Chance 20%
Want 30%
I like some surprises if possible

Predictions:
Corrin - 6%
Secondary Ballot 8%

Nominations
Serperior x 5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Even though fire is such a common element among the Smash fighters, it's still barely been explored. All of the current characters who use fire in prominent ways--Charizard, Captain Falcon, Mario, Roy--either wield it in its most basic forms to deal damage, or augment their physical attacks with it to strengthen them. They use fire as a raw, untamed force of nature.

Then you have the spellcasters: Robin and Zelda, although the Mother boys might or might not also count. Fire is just one of several elements in their repertoire, a tool for them to use when needed but not a key part of their abilities. In fact, for most of them, lightning is more prominent in their movesets!

Despite everyone who currently uses fire...there's a whole side to it that Smash has yet to do anything with. Even though fire is still very much a dangerous thing that needs to be handled properly, it can also be much more. Fire can be warm and inviting, a welcome respite to someone sitting in its glow or to a group of companions gathered around, sharing stories. Fire can be elegant, graceful, and in its own way, beautiful, from the way a candle flame dances on the end of its wick to artistic arrangements of fire to brilliant, multicolored fireworks displays (though those are much more beautiful than they are elegant, heh).

There's a lot to the element that we haven't seen yet in Smash Bros...and Delphox is the perfect character to utilize it.

--

Delphox

Chance: 12%
I'm guessing many of you have a lot of different thoughts. I'll do what I can here to answer any skeptics and help settle any fears you many have.

First of all: that chance rating? The one that must seem so biased and unrealistic? Actually, Delphox does have a small chance right now...and could even get into Smash before they start implementing characters from the Ballot.

Here's how:
When the data miners first found the victory theme files for Roy and Ryu, they noticed five placeholder spots after Mewtwo for future DLC characters. Now that doesn't mean we'll only see six characters--they'd only need to add more placeholders as needed in future patches, and there was no placeholder for Mewtwo at first! What it might mean, though, is that they had five more characters already planned by the time Mewtwo was done. Lucas, Roy, and Ryu have been added...but it leaves two more unaccounted for.

Now who remembers how they originally chose Greninja? Since Pokémon X and Y were still over a year away, they obtained concept art, design notes, and other assets from Game Freak, and decided from there. It was a bold move, but considering X and Y were out for nearly a year before Smash 4, it made sense.

...But what other new Pokémon could they have looked at? Surely they would've considered more than just Greninja. And as a starter Pokémon of the popular Fire type, the first in four generations to not become part Fighting, and designed to resemble the always-popular mages and wizards, there's a high chance Delphox was among the 'mons they considered.

If they're revisiting characters they passed on early in development...there's a chance Delphox might've been brought back with them. And from there? Maybe she's already pretty far along.

"Wait a minute," some others are probably thinking. "But we already got Mewtwo! They won't add another Pokémon character now!"

To be honest? I don't see why they'd put a hard limit on one DLC character per series. When they've consistently added multiple newcomers from the same franchise in previous Smash games, and when they did so in this game for the series with the most characters, why would that be a deal breaker for them now if the potential was there?
As far as the roster goes, it isn't about how many "reps" a series has or "deserves". More than anything, and especially in Smash 4, the newcomers have been compelling characters first and foremost. Pokémon has a massive amount of characters due to its 721 (and counting!) different species, and many of them have high moveset potential due to the massive array of moves (621 so far!) there are in the Pokémon games.

And even then, Pokémon now has the same number of characters it had in Brawl while Super Mario gained three. Even the "reps" argument holds no water here!

Getting one or even two more Pokémon characters is possible if future DLC is extensive enough, especially since it's Nintendo's second biggest series and has so many compelling options for characters.

I'd imagine some more of you are a little worried, and might've gone wide-eyed just from the suggestion she had a chance. There're several characters you're interested in, and only so many spots to go around! Every character you're not particularly interested in could keep the ones you are interested in from making it, right? Even Sakurai said he didn't know how long the dev team could stay together!

Based on what we know, though...maybe there's less reason to be worried than it seems.
While Sakurai has said his team won't be able to stay a team forever, we've repeatedly seen him err on the side of caution to avoid disappointing the fans. First he said he wasn't sure how much bigger Smash 4's roster would be compared to Brawl's, but we ended up with 10-12 more characters (depending on how many you view the Mii Fighters as), with four more as DLC. Speaking of DLC, he also said it wasn't on his radar...and then it was. Then he said he didn't think they'd be able to make much, but now he's clearly all in. He's not lying, per se, he's being defensive in case something happens, and as such we probably don't have to worry much about any limit on characters.

And while there're other characters that currently outrank Delphox in popularity while still having the same amount of potential, she still has characteristics the developers looked for in the initial newcomers: uniqueness, moveset potential, and enough prominence to be recognized by the majority of Smash fans.

If Delphox can garner more support, she'll still have a chance as the characters nominated the most are brought in, rejected, or put on the backburner.

There're a lot of Pokémon candidates, several of which have a head start in fan support. I won't cut corners; for Delphox to have a chance via the Smash Ballot, there's a lot of ground to make up. But despite that, it can happen. All of the Kalos starters have their popularity, and I've personally seen people be won over by the idea of a new mage character with new powers. Some may question bringing in a second 'mon from Generation 6, but when Gen 1 already has four and it wouldn't directly harm the chance of, say, someone from Gen 3 if the support was there, why can't we get a second character from the current, most relevant generation if there was also support? Even Fennekin being a summon isn't necessarily a black mark; though it's a situation we haven't seen before, Delphox has a spellcaster motif and a secondary Psychic type, differentiating enough from Fennekin to keep either from feeling redundant.

And if she caught the developers' eyes, whether through fan support or from being considered early, shelved in favor of Greninja, then brought back once DLC was under way? Her abilities have enough potential that I doubt they'd veto her. Not even Charizard would present a problem, with how vastly different they are in build and in how they wield fire.
That is where Delphox would stand out. Though not the developers' first pick for a Pokémon from the modern games, she is still prominent as a fully evolved starter Pokémon from the newest generation, and generally well-promoted by Game Freak and liked by the fans as much as all three of Kalos' starters are. Though we have mages that use fire, they use it in a supplemental role and not a major focus. Though we have characters that use fire in major roles, they're all physical fighters, not spellcasters.

And that isn't even getting into just how many forms her fire magic can take...or the psychic abilities she can supplement them with...or the more trickster-esque elements in her repertoire! There's a ton of creative potential within Delphox's available powers just waiting to be unlocked.

Is it likely? Not by any means...not yet. But there's a chance.

The niche of a pyromancer is wide open, and with all the ways she can utilize her powers, Delphox can play that role like no other.

To give you an idea of why I'm so invested, let me show you what Delphox is capable of:
A calm, reserved personality and graceful movements could make her fire attacks almost seem to dance. A mastery of a wide range of Fire-typed techniques in the Pokémon games gives her a huge repertoire that allows her to do things with it no other character could dream of. Even her fire itself is extraordinary, augmented by her psychic and magic abilities, and in Smash it could burn in a rainbow of colors (derived from Mystical Fire, Delphox's signature move in the Pokémon games, which is tinted green and specifically described as being different from ordinary fire), giving her powers a distinct and visually commanding appearance in battle!

Or how about how many different ways her powers could be worked into a moveset?
There's a lot of room for interpretation to how Delphox would play. Depending on how her stats and moveset play off each other, she could fill quite a few different archetypes.

Her fire magic could serve any number of roles: powerful, long-reaching projectiles, concentrated blasts for long range sniping or to harass opponents who try to close in, long-lasting flames in the style of Arcfire that serve as traps, or even single flames or fireballs for simpler projectiles. Delphox's psychic powers can also serve multiple purposes in ways that are distinct from Mewtwo's, taking the forms of powerful mental blasts, delayed psychic flare-ups, non-damaging attacks that inflict status ailments, moves that disarm opponents or steal items from them, or even something like Calm Mind that buffs Delphox herself! There are even a handful of other techniques to pull from for a moveset, from Lucky Chant (a non-Psychic status buff the entire Fennekin line gets naturally) to the tutorable Signal Beam, Magic Coat, or Wonder Room to even the unconventional moves such as the self-strengthening Howl! And even those don't touch on the physical possibilities brought by the tree branches the species uses as staves!

By mixing and matching all the techniques she has to draw from, Delphox could fit into a number of different archetypes in Smash. She could be a projectile zoner and trapper, casting spells and setting fires to rack up damage as opponents struggle to approach her. She could be more of a hit-and-run specialist, pelting opponents with short or mid-range magic then using her mobility--a fast 104 base Speed in her home games combined with a fox's natural agility--to escape retaliation. She could even be a long range specialist, sniping her opponents with powerful projectiles from a distance then swatting them back once they get close. Or perhaps she'd be a paradigm shifter, playing it safe normally and using her spells to put her opponents in disadvantageous states from a safe distance, then rushing in to pursue them as long as she can hold the upper hand!

Perhaps it's because I get interested in the new mons more easily. Perhaps it's because I'm still a huge fan of mage characters. Perhaps it's other reasons. No matter the reason, Delphox is now one of my most wanted characters...and one worth giving a fighting chance.

Concept: Unpopular DLC Character

Chance: Abstain

I'll keep this short. I had a whole thing written up, then I accidentally pressed the Back button and erased it all...

I'm staying out of rating this one because it could mean a couple different things. If it means a wild card character no one was thinking of, that's already happened with Ryu. With potentially a character or two before the Smash Ballot closes, or even afterward, the possibility is there, and I'd be interested in us getting blindsided by someone cool we weren't expecting. But if it's a character that isn't liked even after they're revealed? Not only did that only happen with the bonus clones before--something that won't happen with DLC--Sakurai said from here on out they're focusing on "fan service". Not only does an outright disliked character seem very unlikely, I wouldn't want it to happen. I am not the kind of person who relishes in seeing someone hate a character.

There. That's about one third the length it originally was, and it still gets the point across.

Corrin Prediction: 8.12%
Will score a little higher than Azura thanks to quote-quote main character status...but not much higher.

Prediction for the Concept of a Secondary Ballot:
...Er...what is this one? Can whoever nominated it explain? Deja vu...

Nominations:
Hey, @XenoBrawler610, need a hand?

Amaterasu x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Delphox

Abstained

Unpopular DLC Character

Chances Abstained

Want 1%

Preductions

Corrin 33.67
2nd Ballot 10.23

Noms

Galacta Knight x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Unpopular DLC Character Chance:
75%

The first thing when I think of Sakurai as a director is this quote:

#201-210: Sakurai says in response to an email asking only for well-known characters (like Mario, Link, etc.) to appear in SSBB, "Asking only for popular characters to appear in Smash...doesn't get me excited"

I can name many characters in the game who have first gotten in with unnoticeable demand (based on a variety of reasons) and got added with Sakurai's own will: (The Melee newcomers were based on the results of Smash 64's poll)

:icsmelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::drmario::younglinkmelee::roymelee::pichumelee::gawmelee:
:rob::snake::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard::pt::lucas::toonlink::wolf:
:4wiifit::4villager::4duckhunt::4greninja::rosalina::4ryu:

Sakurai is not a businessman when it comes to character decisions. He has never added only popular characters for the sake of being popular. He has added a mix of unpopular and popular in every Smash game to provide variety. He will likely do the same when it comes to DLC (Or at least pre-ballot wise). I do get the notion for ballot since that will be fanbase focused, but it is a bit shocking to know that people aren't open to the idea of a unpopular surprises even for pre-ballot.

In the case for pre-ballot DLC, do you honestly expect Sakurai to go from a wide variety of newcomers to suddenly just popular characters? It just doesn't feel like something Sakurai would naturally change direction to, it feels completely off.

People are forgetting many possibilities:
  • The possibility of every unpopular veteran returning.
  • The possibility of adding another retro/historical character like Excitebiker or Mach Rider.
  • The possibility of Sakurai adding another KI character due to his lenience towards the KI franchise.
  • The possibility of last minute DLC clones like Toon Zelda, Pichu, Impa etc.
  • The possibility of Sakurai seeing potential within a unpopular newcomer from an upcoming (or recently released) game (whose franchise is already established in Smash) like Cross, Corrin, or Chorus Kids.
  • The possibility of another 3rd party like Capcom (with Ryu) touching with Nintendo to add their character pre-ballot.
All of these possibilities are discussed, but not much expectations are changed. Let me tell you this:

ballot DLC =/= pre-ballot DLC

Just because the ballot exists doesn't mean the rules will automatically apply to pre-ballot. Smash DLC is something new to Smash and Sakurai, as he has been skeptical of the idea of DLC before. Which is why he experimented on Mewtwo first before he announced Ryu, Roy, and Lucas to the world. With DLC in his control, Pre-ballot DLC can be a different kind of game where Sakurai can easily throw curveballs and alter Smash DLC speculation yet again. One of these possibilities is probably going to happen.

You could argue the fan-service quote, but he is pretty vague on what kind that will be. If he straight out said only popular characters can get in as pre-ballot DLC, then I would've change the way I speculated the DLC selection, but he did not. This is only the start of DLC, and we do not have much of a good grasp on pre-ballot DLC to really go on the notion of expecting only the most demanded, even though Roy, Mewtwo, Lucas were added as DLC first.

I will be surprised if we didn't get at least one or two more of those kinds of characters at least. I am prepared for anything Sakurai reveals to me at this point. I'm not letting my guard down.

x5 Balloon Fighter

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Delphox

Chance: 15%

We all know the drill, Blah blah "too many pokemans" blah blah "muh gen 3 reps" blah blah "grass type" blah blah "Mewtwo is Too many *bad-dum-TISHHHH*... What?
As it stands, while the supporters are there, (s)he has too strong a competition and gen 6 isn't being looked at by the majority of the fan base.

Want: 80%

Did I ever say I wanted more spell casters? Because I want more spell casters. @ Delzethin Delzethin also made one interesting argument which makes me want this pokemon even more( though I want to point out that 10 sword fighters out of 50+ characters isn't too many). On top of that, I just beat pokemon Y so... Yeah, I'm all up for this!

Unpopular character

Chance: 100%
Duh, anybody who thinks this isn't gonna happen is deluding themselves. I don't like pretending to know what Sakurai is thinking( like most of the fan base does), but he's not called a troll for nothing. Infact, I'd love to bet money on this, any takers? $20( through a WiiU gift card ofcourse... Or PS3/4... Or 360/0ne) says it happens!

Want: 25%
This is an unpopular character, which means I'll most likely not like the inclusion, therefore I do not want it to happen.

Nominations:
New Mii fighter class( Mii lancer, Mii dual wielder) x3
Chrom costume change for Roy x2

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Delphox

An unpopular Pokemon when then are several hundred to choose from.

Unpopular DLC Character

Chance: 25%

Coming from the hipster who voted for Zael (inb4 voting for Zael suddenly becomes "cool" :troll:), I'm sure that popular characters with much healthier ballot support will take higher priority over lesser characters with small support bases. Sakurai's recent "fan service" statement only made me more confident in this, though he has been unpredictable in the past, and of course there are popular characters with circumstances preventing their inclusion (Ice Climbers and their technical issues, Snake and the affair with Kojima and Konami, etc.).

Agreed with @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A .

Before I move on to my predictions, I will say that I'm sure I won't be disappointed if all of the upcoming DLC characters turn out to be popular candidates. Some of the top first party contenders include newcomers that would bring unique characteristics to the table such as King K. Rool and Isaac as well as the missing veteran Wolf. I knew from the beginning that the character I voted for didn't have much of a chance due to his lack of popularity anyway, though I'd be pleasantly surprised if he did make the cut.

Predictions:

Corrin - 2.5%

Secondary Ballot - 4.6%

Nomination: NX Port x5

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Delphox:

Chances: 2% I find Delphox to be very unlikely, Gen 3 and 5 are far more likely to receive a newcomer, and before that, the veterans are more likely than them. Sakurai did mention though that he looks for uniqueness, and Delphox has that in spades so that may end up saving her, but I doubt it.

Want: 80% I really like Delphox, it has a ton of potential, and is all around interesting, but unfortunately for it, I would prefer a few other Pokemon to get in before Delphy. I wouldn't complain though, and I'd still be happy, but perhaps a wee bit jealous. Delphox would definitely be a welcome addition to the roster, we can always use more mages.

Unpopular DLC Character :

Chance: 20% I can definitely see Mr. Sakurai pulling up a character that didn't get much votes but has potential in his eyes or one that he just likes a lot. He did say there would be fan-service, but we know how Mr. Sakurai doesn't always say the exact truth and sometimes go back on his word. It's still far more likely he will give in to the pressure created by the ballot and Nintendo, and he probably would like to satisfy the fans as much as possible since this is his last smash game he planned to work on. I'll still respect whichever one he does though, don't get me wrong.

Want: 1% I'd much rather we go and get the popular candidates, but there's a few unpopular ones I'd like to see purely out of my own bias. I do think it would be a lot more "fair" if only the popular ones got in though.

Predictions:
Corrin: 10%
Ballot No.2 7%

Nominations: Jirachi x 5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Random Pokemon (A.K.A Delphox):

Chance:1%
Want:0%
not even gonna bother with this one, it's just one of the many,many,many random pokemon that have below avarage ballot support and honestly, it's better that way,let some other franchises shine.
........speaking about lack of ballot popularity.....

-------------------------------
Unpopular DLC character:

Chance:30.99%
EDIT: I decided to lower my chance score to 22.45%

Now, i think that there's a slight possibility that the 2 "Marios" are pre-Ballot characters, and so, i think the 2 marios in question are Wolf and either another veteran or a brand newcomer similar to Ryu, (as in, a character no one saw coming) the thing is, we don't know for sure that is the case (some people say that the 2 Marios are most likely Ballot characters). I also think that the 2nd "Mario" could be our first ballot character (although i think that's unlikely) and yes, i think there will be more than 1 ballot character.

Want:
Depends:
If it is something like :4darkpit: (A.K.A a last minute clone newcomer like Dark Pit and Lucina): 0%
Roy (yes i like Roy deal with it) and Lucas are the only "clones" (or Semi-Clones i should say) that i wanted as DLC (and no, i don't think Wolf is a clone/Semi-clone).

I don't want free desserts like Dark Pit please. I will pay my own money for Quality newcomers and since almost every fanbase (not counting veterans) is pushing their dream character as something unique, so having something like this would displease me and a lot of people.

Something like :4ryu: (A.K.A an unexpected 3rd party character wich lacks requests) :10%
There are some 3rd Party characters that i really want (Simon Belmont for example) that lack support and popularity (at least in big quantities).

Something like :4duckhunt:(A.K.A a forgotten character from the old school era of Nintendo):30% Now my want score is 20%
Balloon Fighter and Lip are some of my most wanted characters so having an unexpected "Retro" would make me satisfied.

Something like :4wiifit:(A.K.A an unexpected character that comes form a "Casual" game series):0%
Ehh...no thank you.

Overall:40%now my overall want score has changed to 30%
Phew, that was a pain to write....oh and im also on the boat that prefers to get characters that are actually highly requested.
--------------------------------
Predictions:
-Muh recency (a.k.a Corrin):8.12%
More FE chracters?.....
-Secondary Ballot: can someone explain me what does this mean?
--------------------------------
Actually you know what, since we are rating so many FE characters:
-Fire Emblem costumes for Mii fighters (example: Chrom costume for Mii Swordfighter):X5

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Delphox
Chance- 0.33%
No good reason for Delphox to get in over any other Pokemon, other than being somewhat recent. And I don't even expect another Pokemon…
Want- 0%
I actually picked Fennekin, but this has no reason to happen.

Unpopular DLC Character
Chance- Abstain
Too hard to define. But I would say that its probably pretty darn likely, based on my vaguely-not-actually-defined definition.
Want- 0%
* Unpopular DLC characters tend to be surprises.
* We've already had surprises.
* Surprises are alright, but I don't want more surprises.
* I want characters like K. Rool, Isaac, and Wolf.

Corrin- 8%
Secondary Ballot- 6%
Nominations:

Porky x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Delphox

Chance - 1.34% - Well, there are more random choices out there. We know Sakurai took a look at every 6th gen pokemon in development, and eventually chose out Ninja Frog because of how unique he could be. We don't know how much work was given to others, though. She might have been worked on, but I wouldn't put much faith in her because of it.

Want - 39.5% - Maybe something interesting could come up, but I actually don't find mages all that interesting. To be honest, if I had to chose a second pokemon from the second generation, it'd be Hoopa.

Unpopular DLC character

Chance - 5% - Sakurai has proven himself to be unpredictable, but we're coming to the point when I seriously have to question how many more characters we are getting as DLC. We have only 46 more days until the ballot closes. Unless they pull another Smash-Bros. only direct, that's only enough time for one, maybe two more directs. With only so much space and so little time, I'd be hard pressed if we get another pre-ballot character, and then only if it's a veteran, and we all know who we're placing our bets on :wolf:.

Once the ballot results comes out, I'd expect there to at least be one character in the top 10 to catch his fancy, or at least pick a fairly popular character. Because many people support a character for move set reasons, I'd be hard pressed to argue some other reason.

Want - 10% - Some of my most wanted may be unpopular, but getting over a character that actually deserves to win would be kinda hollow for me.

Predictions

Corrin - 8.34% - Well, better than Azura, I would think...

Secondary Ballot - 5.67% - Complete random guess.

Nominations
New Kirby stage from newer Kirby games X5

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Delphox's Chance: 20%
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it doesn't look like it has much support. Combine that with the sheer competition between the Pokemon and the fans who don't want other Pokemon character, and it doesn't look likely at all.

Delphox's Want: 0%
I love Pokemon as much as the next person, but I really would like to see characters from franchises that are not so saturated in the current roster.

----------

"Unpopular Character" DLC's Chance: 1%
The main goal of DLC is to be purchased on its own merits, which means each item up for sale has to have a demand. Putting a character that nobody wants is just asking for commercial failure, and Nintendo sure won't allow for that. Unwanted characters are fine in the base game since there isn't the risk of not selling as there is in DLC. Ryu may not have been high on anyone's radar, but he's still a popular character overall.

The, of course, there's the whole statement about all character inclusions being focused on what the fans want. I can't say that "Pre-Ballot DLC" is entirely over or not, but it seems if Sakurai is bringing anyone else over before looking to the ballot, it'd be based on fan demand like Roy, Mewtwo and Lucas.

"Unpopular Character" DLC's Chance: Abstain
This is just too broad to be able to rate. Like everyone else, I have my fair share of unlikely characters I would love to see and I have just as many that I don't ever want to show up.

Troykv

Smash Master
Delphox

His main problem is too MANY options.

I'm okay with him.

Unpopular DLC Character.

Chance: 50%

This is a weird idea, but is really possible. We're talking about Sakurai xD

My two most wanted characters are don't really popular options, the only real reason because I don't give a 100% is because nobody can predict a Unpopular Char.

Predictions:

Corrin: 9.5%
Second Ballot: 6%

Nominations:

Rerate! Micaiah x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom