• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Henry Fleming's chances: 3%

I don't think Henry being based on a fictional character is a huge strike against his chances, personally.

Lacking in popularity and being from a game that hasn't been successful, on the other hand...

Want: 20%

Normally new franchises would get at least 50%, but I find this to be one of the weaker choices for one.

Paper Mario prediction: 20.59%

Won't do super well, won't do completely horribly either.

Nominations: Ryu (Street Fighter) x5

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I'm only issuing the fictional book/real life character argument, and I suggest you change the rating a bit because that argument doesn't work.
Not even going to bother, the other factors are more then damning enough to warrant a low score, and the biggest reason I brought up the fact that he originates from a book is because it breaks this forum's self imposed rule.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Henry Fleming
Chance 5%
The big question regarding fleming is, is he more capable of being chosen for smash to represent a new Ip than say, Inkling, or even captain Toad? Hardly, add the fact that STEAM looks to be more a niche game, and the fact that fleming is probably the more boring looking guy of the whole cast, and another Niche nintendo series with lots of trajectory haven't got a single rep (advance wars) and it seems higly unlikely, heck .. even Kamui seems to be more likely.

Want 8%
Haven't played STEAM yet, and probably won't soon, since i don't have a 3DS and while i'm a big fan of steampunk, i'm not a big fan of super star spangled stuff. still, while niche and nothing too original, the game does look interesting, I mean i like a lot games like X-com, Shadowrun and Valkyre Chronicles. still, while i'm not against an american version of the league of extraordinary gentleman, the America **** Yeah could have been toned down a little ._. . probably will give it a chance but not in the near future. that being said, i don't like fleming, design wise, it's a little like a advance wars where i like the games a lot, but can't like Andy. If something from STEAM gets in i would hope they pull a Chrom/Robin and choose a more interesting character. I mean, if the rating would be for Randolph Carter I would totally give him a 100% want! It's Friggin Randolph Carter! Still, some STEAM Mii Costumes (Like Abe lyncon or fleming which face is completely doable on the mii maker) would be amazing :D

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Henry
Chance:5%
Very low chance
Want:45%
I like Codename S.T.E.A.M. (In fact I'm trying to get a Codename S.T.E.A.M. social thread but nobody can create one for some odd reason.)
Prediction: Paper Mario 35%
Nomination: BB bandit trio X5.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Henry Fleming

Chance: 5%

What the hell is he? :troll:

Want: 50%

I'm neutral with him

Predictions:

Paper Mario Chance: 20%

Nominations:

Micaiah x2
Tiki x2
Kos-mos x1

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Henry Fleming

Chance: 20%

With the extensive lineup of potential candidates to be DLC in the ballot, I don't see this character getting in.

Want: 5%

I haven't played Codename S.T.E.A.M so I don't really have an interest in seeing him in the game

Nominations
Roy X3
Andy X2

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Not even going to bother, the other factors are more then damning enough to warrant a low score, and the biggest reason I brought up the fact that he originates from a book is because it breaks this forum's self imposed rule.
To be honest the concept of Henry Fleming not originating from a video game didn't even occur to me in that sense. Please understand that when I posted the rule about "originating" from a video game it was largely meant to be used to keep people from voting for outlandish third party joke characters like Goku or Batman. Whereas this version of Henry Fleming is in fact a Nintendo owned character. I was thinking along the lines of ownership with that rule.

Regardless I apologize deeply if I broke my own rule. If you guys want I'll make up for it by doing a double ratings day tomorrow. We can rate both Paper Mario and Roy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be honest the concept of Henry Fleming not originating from a video game didn't even occur to me in that sense. Please understand that when I posted the rule about "originating" from a video game it was largely meant to be used to keep people from voting for outlandish third party joke characters like Goku or Batman. Whereas this version of Henry Fleming is in fact a Nintendo owned character. I was thinking along the lines of ownership with that rule.

Regardless I apologize deeply if I broke my own rule. If you guys want I'll make up for it by doing a double ratings day tomorrow. We can rate both Paper Mario and Roy.
I'm down for that.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
Henry Fleming
Chance: 1%
Not so popular character in a not so popular game. For Henry Fleming to get in... He would at least have to be as popular as Olimar. (He aint even a joke character like Wii fit trainer)

Want: 30%
I strangely would rather have Abraham Lincoln in.

Paper mario prediction: 44.56%

Nomination:
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda) x3
Elma (Xenoblade) x2

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming

Chance 5% - So, he is from Code-name S.T.E.A.M. is he? I haven't played that game, likely never will. Regardless, I don't see it being popular in Japan, already hurting this guys chances. Yes, he isn't truly a Video Game character, but then again, neither was James Bond when he was considered for Smash 64. Regardless, this persona is a Video Game representation, so I don't think it's a major problem. His game also doesn't seem to be all that popular either, also hurting his chances. And lastly, I see everyone saying how Lincoln would be a better choice. My only comment on that, someone start nominating Lincoln. Now.

Want: 0% No connections to the character whatsoever, and honestly, how well would he fit into the Smash universe. Even if the "he didn't originate from a video game" thing isn't a really big problem, incorporating this character would seem to take Smash into a new direction, a direction I don't think I'm quite prepared for.

Paper Mario: 26.5% - A puzzling character. Let's remember that Paper Mario got a stage in the 3DS version (even if it did contain 2 parts too many of Sticker Star and no Paper Mario 64/Super Paper Mario whatsoever).
Roy - I think this is a mistake, :4roy: is already in the game. :awesome:

...fine. 94.6%

Nominations: This is the last Smash Bros. Game X5
Leaving the Roy = Marth Alt alone for now, if we are rating Roy tomorrow.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Chance: 5%
His game has unfortunately not been that successful and he's not that popular a character or a request, so unfortunately things don't look that good for him.

Want: 25%
The game I love and I wish it got more attention then it did, but I don't care for Henry himself.

Does it really break the rule though? I mean, this is not the first time Nintendo has used characters that are based on characters not originating from a video game (Medusa, Hades, Palutena to an extent) and those characters have no problem being represented in Smash in some way, so I don't think Henry has that issue either. I think what Sakurai was referring to are characters like Goku and Shrek which clearly debuted in another medium and were only adapted into video games rather then one that's an interpretation of a character made for a video game.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

IMO if we were speaking of Henry Fleming in general then maybe it'd be a problem but since we are talking about a specific depiction of a real person that has been personified in a specific setting as is the case here...Henry Fleming the person is not who we are talking about anyways...Henry Fleming the character from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. is...As far as I'm concerned the real Henry Fleming didn't carry around steampunk weaponry or wear a red and gold uniform...(not judging if he did, jus sayin)

Edit: Delzethin below me brings up an interesting point...best save Roy for his own day since Chance: 99% Roy overshadows Paper Mario, a character that will more than likely get lots of negativity anyways....

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Fair warning: I was only able to pick up so much extra information. There isn't a whole lot gathered about the game due to how new and under-the-radar it is.

...Which...doesn't bode well in and of itself.

-- (Not even any extended music, either...)

Henry Fleming

Chance: 3.5%

I can't speak a lot for Fleming as a game character. He's more or less the protagonist of Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., armed with a steam-powered rifle and explosives with a tongue-in-cheek patriotic flair. His available weapons are limited, naturally limiting his moveset potential somewhat unless they'd be willing to let him borrow weapons from the other S.T.E.A.M. members. If he did draw from the rest of the team, though, he could be fairly interesting...as long as he was implemented well.

Thing is...there are way too many roadblocks in his way. First of all, his game hasn't even left North America yet, meaning all the risks with a character from a brand new IP are there tenfold. In North America itself so far, his debut game has a lukewarm reception, and the resounding "meh" from the community has left him with little to no support.

And then there's the fact that he's technically a public domain character who originated in a novel. We don't know exactly how that'd affect his chances, but while it could mean nothing, it could also mean an insta-veto.

Overall, this trooper just has too many issues plaguing him to have a chance. Maybe if the series picks up steam over time, we could at least see some representation of some kind in Smash 5?

Want: Abstain
If you couldn't tell by the way I stumbled through that analysis, I haven't played Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. and I had to go off the analysis videos I've watched and the research I was able to do. I don't feel like I know nearly enough to do a proper want rating.

Paper Mario Prediction: 19.25%
This one'll get held back mainly by how many Mario characters are already in. People are sick of any Mario character ideas that don't have the "new character buzz" Captain Toad has.

Nominations: Wolf Link & Midna x5

...Oh, and @ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice ? I dunno how good of an idea making tomorrow a double is. Ideally, you'd want to have doubles for characters or concepts that are similar to or related to each other or who wouldn't bring up much discussion on their own. Roy is going to generate a ton of discussion, and so it's probably better he gets his own day.

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
colder_than_iwata?

I kid, but I had to~

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Henry Flemming:

Chance: 21.5% He does have a sliver of hope as he's from a new IP and maybe Sakurai wants him. But he's probably not getting in due to Codename STEAM's low sales and not getting requested as much compared to other characters like the Inklings, K Rool, etc.

Want: 1% I have no interest in Codename STEAM in general.

Prediction:

Paper Mario: 26.78%

Nominate Ryux5.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Honestly I agree with @ Arcanir Arcanir that it probably doesn't matter in this context, it's just something that dawned on me while writing my post.

And I agree with @ Delzethin Delzethin , double ratings are better used for characters that are related in some way. If we are going to do one, may I suggest doing both Ryu and Roy the day after Paper Mario?

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Honestly I agree with @ Arcanir Arcanir that it probably doesn't matter in this context, it's just something that dawned on me while writing my post.

And I agree with @ Delzethin Delzethin , double ratings are better used for characters that are related in some way. If we are going to do one, may I suggest doing both Ryu and Roy the day after Paper Mario?
Yeah, no rule was broken. Henry Fleming is based off of a character that didn't originate from a video game and shares his namesake, but you could say the same thing about Thor in the Marvel Universe.

A double day might be a little chaotic with two characters as major as Paper Mario and especially Roy, where there may be strong opinions.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Sounds good to me. Or if you don't want to have to do too much calculations, you can give all of us those bonus 5 nominations. *Nudge-nudge-wink-wink*

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Ah, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

Like The Wonderful 101, it's destined to be a cult classic, but they are both excellent new (and possibly one-shot due to poor performance) IPs from Nintendo. The game in question today is a bizarre grid-based strategy/third person shooter fusion that plays like Fire Emblem meets Valkyria Chronicles, and takes place in a world where Abraham Lincoln has faked his own assassination and now leads a team of steampunk-weapon using heroes who fight aliens. It's a fantastic concept, and it's a fantastic game because it's Intelligent Systems. (I'm happy to be rating another IS character tomorrow, and the day after that).

Henry Fleming's origins are the least of his concerns. His extreme newness, combined with the lack of exposure more than anything hurts him a lot. Unlike Splatoon, the game didn't get a console bundle, it's own unique amiibos, huge promotional events, commercials, or a huge E3 presence (though it did debut at a private press event, it just didn't get as much of a public push). Because of his lack of exposure, he isn't going to have many requests. It's a shame. If the game's unique, Nintendo-esque concept interests you, and you're a Fire Emblem/Advance Wars fan, I highly recommend it. Maybe the series can have a future if it picks up.

Chances - 7%

Want - 90% This game deserves more recognition, and I'd love a steampunk gun/strategic/heavyweight playstyle. What a shame.

nominate Simon Belmont x3, Black Mage x2

Last edited:

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
Edit: in all seriousness, I'd love to see Ryu and Paper Mario, just don't rate them on the same as Roy.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
smh at people giving a score of 20% and describing it as "a sliver of hope". That's more likely than rolling a six on a die, you know...

Henry Fleming

I don't see Codename STEAM becoming a huge hit (it isn't yet), the character is based on a character from a novel and he's very new (not out in Japan yet). Don't really know how that will go over, but the number of requests will likely not be high.

Honestly, Code Name S.T.E.A.M. seems like a much better candidate for an AT in the next game at this point. If it becomes a sleeper... then maybe playable in Smash 5. Seems very unlikely for now.

Henry Fleming chances: 0.5%
Henry Fleming want: 30%
Don't want him, but don't feel that strongly about it.

Paper Mario prediction: 40%
There are some people out there who will think having three Marios is likely. Probably a few who think it's impossible too though.

Nominations:
Simon Belmont x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming chances: 0.45%
A new IP from Nintendo which doesn't look like it is intended to be promoted to one of Nintendo's flagship series. I mean, compare this game's promotion to Splatoon... and it's extremely rare that IPs like this get playable representation in Smash Bros. Not to mention I doubt we'll ever get a playable representative from a tactical series from IS that isn't the much more established Fire Emblem, especially if Advance Wars never got one. His support also seems to be lacking.

Henry Fleming want: 24%
I liked the Codename S.T.E.A.M. demo and I'm interested in picking up the game when it releases in Europe... that said, I'm not very interested about the idea of playing as a character from this game in Smash. It seems to be more like Assist Trophy material in my opinion.

Paper Mario prediction: 24.86%
There will be skepticism, but I'm fully expecting supporters to give him a rather high rating.

Nominating:
Concept: DLC characters get custom moves (including Mewtwo through patching) x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
i'm not a big fan of super star spangled stuff
Not even the Star Spangled Man with a Plan? :c

...sorry, I couldn't not...

This isn't breaking the rule at all. This game took a literary character and made it its own - same with Lincoln when we get to his day. I definitely see a difference between rating a character who is based on a book protagonist in name only versus voting on Batman who is a comic character in a game. I don't think there is anything similar between STEAM Fleming and Red Badge of Courage Fleming besides the name.
And besides, I'd need to give Batman 0/0 on principle. Marvel's better.

But rating is fun, so I don't think anyone would be opposed to a double ratings day no matter what the reason is...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
HENRY FLEMING:
CHANCE: 10%
WANT: 10%

Codename STEAM hasn't really been quite that much promoted as Splatoon was, nor is it quite that popular.Being a historical domain character shouldn't really hurt him, though. That said, I don't really expect him, nor do I want it. Abraham Lincoln or Tom Sawyer would pique my interest though. :laugh:

PAPER MARIO: 25%
I expect him to fall flat. Not many people seem to up for a third Mario despite the potential he offers.

IVYSAUR × 5

:231:

Last edited:

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Henry Fleming
Chance: 4%
I think it's odd that Wonder Red's chance score is going to be 20% higher than Henry's because the two characters are in the same situation. They're both new IP's that sold poorly, but STEAM is more recent. While Red's fanbase is more vocal, I don't think they're that much bigger right new. Rant over. Anyway, I think STEAM's only hope is in the ballot. While Henry could have a unique moveset, and be the first character from a Steampunk artstyle, he will still need decent fan support.

Want: 90%
I really enjoyed CODENAME STEAM. I would rather have Lincoln, but any character from the game would be a win for me.

Nominations: Ryu x 2
Ridley x 3

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
PAPER MARIO: 25%
I expect him to fall flat. Not many people seem to up for a third Mario despite the potential he offers.
An overall 25% chances rating is nowhere near "fall flat" if you want my opinion... guess we just don't have the same standards when it comes to correlation between qualitative and quantitative likeliness.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming: 1%

While he does represent a new IP, hes a literary character, which automatically breaks Sakurai's rule. Not much to say, since I have yet to play the game, but from what I understand, the game isnt doing too well, and still hasnt made it to Japan. Maybe Smash 5 will bring us Codename Steam content.

Nominate Chorus Kids x 5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
An overall 25% chances rating is nowhere near "fall flat" if you want my opinion... guess we just don't have the same standards when it comes to correlation between qualitative and quantitative likeliness.
I don't believe anyone with a less than 50% chance to have a good chance. 50% is the point where you can say they're more likely to appear than not.

:231:

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Henry Fleming

chance: 10%

Doesn't seem all too likely.
Meh, not too interested.

Paper Mario Prediction: 25%

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Costumes for Characters x2
Viridi x2
Ninten x1

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's still a double standard. You bring up multiple facets for why one character is supported, while simultaneously acting like one facet of a different character is the only one that counts. As I've said before, there're plenty of Sceptile supporters bringing up the Grass starter angle as a point of uniqueness, not a quota to be filled, and plenty others who just like the character. Those are just as valid.

Furthermore, sitting at 15th of 18 in Want right now reflects a small sample size more than anything. We've rated almost nothing but the frontrunner characters so far. It's like comparing a AAA ballplayer with potential who isn't quite there yet to the roster of the All-Star Game. For all we know, in a couple months Scep could be sitting at, say...19th of 50.

You act like this is a matter of us-versus-them. I don't have anything against you, and I definitely don't have anything against Ridley. I just want to set the record straight, and keep a complex situation from being overly simplified.

...But yeah. Let's...keep this from going off the rails.
Ok, so first, double standard doesn't apply because the reason the characters were being discussed was for different reasons. Sceptile only came up after Greninja was revealed. The SmashBoards thread only started in August. Characters like Ridley and K Rool had threads before and were popular because people liked the character. Sceptile discussion only arose because we needed a grass starter.

Also, you're assuming if the sample size was somehow bigger, that Sceptile would be higher. There is no saying that it wouldn't be lower either. Your argument is based on what if.

A rather lackluster array of abilities to draw a moveset from?.
So clearly you've never played Codename STEAM.

First, it would be easy to give a unique mechanic with the steam gauge. In the games, you can't move or attack without steam. In Smash, it could be translated to his special moves. All of your special moves use steam and it regenerates over time. You could even have this support his forward smash (maybe a steam powered charge) or maybe he can use steam to get extra jumps. He has the Eagle Rifle, but he can easily borrow other weapons from the AGENTS. You could give him the Bear Grenades, Penguin Lobber, Fox Rifle or the Punch Gun. He could also have Overwatch. The move will put you in a defensive stance, and anyone who attacks or moves in a certain range would be shot at. Even better, the move would have a chance of stun. It would be a very different counter, and of course, it will use some steam to do. Of course, his Lion Launcher would be his recovery. I also didn't talk about the sub weapons which could be either items or part of Henry's moveset (not, every character can use any subweapon).

These are all reasons why I think Lincoln is more likely. He's actually well-known, even if it's not because of his game. He probably has ballot support just because Sakurai put the idea into people's heads through the Mii Fighter announcement. He makes more sense to have a moveset drawing from the entire team, since he comissioned them, and he's stinkin' Abraham Lincoln for crying out loud!

Even so, both Lincoln and Fleming's biggest problem is their game's unfortunately rotten sales. Doesn't mean I still don't want Lincoln just for the fun of it. I'll have to settle with the Lincoln Mii fighter, I guess.
I don't think Lincoln would happen because he's not an agent. You don't play as Lincoln. Henry is also a major character in the game and the one you play with. Mechanics would be easier to design for Henry than Lincoln (see above).

OK, so here is mine
Chances:25
Want:80

I think Henry will not be DLC for this game, but may be a playable character in the next Smash. He has some interesting abilities to draw from, a unique mechanic, and has a different feel from the other Nintendo characters. I think the fact that Intelligent Systems made the game helps as well.

BTW, if you like strategy games like Fire Emblem, I highly recommend Codename STEAM. Its a really fun game.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Henry Fleming

Chance:7%
I don't know what the rules are for historical Characters I can't say for sure. But it is sort of a nintendo character but still.

Want: 8%
his game does not interest me

Nomination
ninten x5

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Henry Fleming:
Chance: 2%.
Not Abe Lincoln.
Want: 0%. Not Abe Lincoln.
------------------------------------------------------
Paper Mario prediction: 19%.
------------------------------------------------------
Nominations:
Wolf Link & Midna x1
Jill Valentine x4

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I would have thought the same if Chrom had been put in Smash instead of Robin. Apparently being the main character doesn't matter as much as we thought it did.

Besides that, Lincoln has just as much potential as Fleming because both would have to use weapons from the entire team, theoretically. Add Lincoln's natural starpower compared to Fleming, and I think he's got the edge over Fleming if anybody from their game comes to Smash, which is doubtful.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Henry Fleming

Chance - 7.5% - Unlike many people here, I think the holder of the Red Badge of Courage will get in over Honest Abe. The big problem with Abe is that the ending pretty much killed off all chances of him appearing in a sequel (unless you are wiling to count S.T.O.V.E.P.I.P.E.), which I view as important. I don't see as much of a problem with the move set, as there are many sub-weapons that he could equip. However, a game with lukewarm reception in the only country it is currently released in does not make for a hopeful argument.

Want - 65% - My ideal choice for Codename STEAM, although I do not actively support him. Better than the bandwagon that is Lincoln, at any rate.

Paper Mario prediction - 14.54% - Many people are going to complain about getting another Mario, I bet, no matter how different he could be.

Nominations
New Guidance Conversations X3
Anna (FE) X2

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Want - 65% - My ideal choice for Codename STEAM, although I do not actively support him. Better than the bandwagon that is Lincoln, at any rate.
Thank you. I'm getting really tired of seeing this.
Want: 0%. Not Abe Lincoln.
You people realize Lincoln doesn't fight in the game right?

Also, PSA. DO NOT USE PURPLE AS YOUR FONT COLOR. It does not show up well on a black/grey background. There is a reason your default color is white.

Top Bottom