• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Shantae:

Chance - 0.1%
This shouldn't need much explanation. It's pretty telling when the most compelling reasons anyone can give why she would have a ghost of a chance all start off like..."But what if?" What if Sakurai changed his stringent third party criteria that supposedly held back even Rayman, and that Ryu only solidifies further? What if she got added and became famous in Japan? What if WayForward and Nintendo worked together? What if she somehow stood out from every other indie hawking their character for obvious exposure reasons? The only reason she's even this high is because at least her games are on Nintendo systems, which is more than can be said for certain other third party requests and the biggest rival first party request (only just realized I could rate 1%>, by the way, otherwise my Banjo score would've been 0.01%).

Want - 5%
I'd like my Smash to not become MUGEN, where any random can get fasttracked in for the heck of it. There's still a boatload of worthy Nintendo characters out there, some from veteran franchises, some from new ones, so it's saddening to see so much support thrown behind randoms from outside the company instead of at its hidden gems. Also, if there's going to be any hair-using fighter, it ought to be Dixie.

Inkling Prediction - 64.5%

Nominate Shovel Knight x5

Last edited:

Arthreeteseven

Smash Ace
Shantae:

Chance: 5%

She is a relatively unpopular indie character that will need a large fanbase supporting her with votes, I don't think she currently has that.

Want: 50%

I really like Shantae, she is one of few Indie characters that could be called a Nintendo All-Star thanks to her numerous appearances on Nintendo consoles. I would prefer to see her added to the game over most other Indie characters.

Inkling Prediction: Chance: 75% Want: 80%

Nominations:
Pichu x5

there will probably be from 3-10 third parties as DLC. .
Wat.
that is an absurd amount of third party dlc.
If there were 10 third. Party dlc characters there wpuld be like 2 nintendo characters as dlc. (Which is obviously not true)

3? Maybe. But anything more is stretching it and calling it probable is kind of silly.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Comparing Shantae to Lil Mac or Wii Fit Trainer is strange. Promoting Nintendo characters is different from promoting other people's non-exclusive characters.

Shantae
Chance: 1%
She's obscure, she's indie, and she's third-party. Not only does she have other indie competition in the ballot, she has third party competition from actual established third party icons and far more likely first party characters. Despite her moveset potential, I doubt she'll get in.

Want: 3%
IMO The only third party character that should get in Smash is Bomberman. I don't care about any others. An indie character in Smash would benefit their devs way more than Nintendo... but I will say that I prefer Shantae over Shovel Knight.

Inkling Prediction: 70%
Nominations: Snake x4 Magolor x1

DLC won't make a MUGEN out of the roster, there will probably be from 3-10 third parties as DLC. There's no way that half the roster will be just 3rd parties.
No thanks.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
DLC won't make a MUGEN out of the roster, there will probably be from 3-10 third parties as DLC. There's no way that half the roster will be just 3rd parties.
3-10 3rd party.. Im going to quit entirely if that happens. Sorry that is just not something that's going to happen other wise it's really not Nintendo's history anymore it's just going to be a glorified Mugen game it will lose it's integrity.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Assuming we get about 50-100 dlc characters (which never going to happen) I suspect maybe 2-3 at most....and 3 is very optimistic...

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
Shantae:

Chance - 0.1%
This shouldn't need much explanation. It's pretty telling when the most compelling reasons anyone can give why she would have a ghost of a chance all start off like..."But what if?" What if Sakurai changed his stringent third party criteria that supposedly held back even Rayman, and that Ryu only solidifies further? What if she got added and became famous in Japan? What if WayForward and Nintendo worked together? What if she somehow stood out from every other indie hawking their character for obvious exposure reasons? The only reason she's even this high is because at least her games are on Nintendo systems, which is more than can be said for certain other third party requests and the biggest rival first party request (only just realized I could rate 1%>, by the way, otherwise my Banjo score would've been 0.01%).

Want - 5%
I'd like my Smash to not become MUGEN, where any random can get fasttracked in for the heck of it. There's still a boatload of worthy Nintendo characters out there, some from veteran franchises, some from new ones, so it's saddening to see so much support thrown behind randoms from outside the company instead of at its hidden gems. Also, if there's going to be any hair-using fighter, it ought to be Dixie.

Inkling Prediction - 64.5%

Nominate Shovel Knight x5

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Chances: 1%
I'll be generous and say at least 1%
Everyone already hit the nail on the head by linking to the articles of Sakurai saying that 3rd parties would have to be a very special case. I'm not to sure what her special case is other than Wayfoward trying to jump on the advertisement bandwagon. Don't get me wrong! Smart move but no I can't see it happening or at least I HOPE it doesn't happen.

Want: 0%
With Ryu possibly getting in and people wanting Goku for some odd reason and all these other 3rd party characters I can't help but think Super Smash Mugen! Also, Yeah Shantae would be another hair fighter and that role definitely belongs to Dixie Kong. I also agree that Nintendo needs to focus on their own all-stars before 3rd party characters. That would be down right disrespect to put a 3rd party character in smash that basically has a similar role to a 1st party character Nintendo owns anyways.
So yeah Shantae No thanks!

Edit: I forgot to nominate a character when I rated Dixie's chances so does that mean I have x10 ?
If so for laughs I nominate: Crash Bandicoot x10

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I seriously hope that was a mistake lol. 3-10 third parties... the lawyers would be having a field day with that.

:231:

edsett

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't feel like MUGEN to me. :U
With 13 third-parties (Counting the ones we have)
It's not even close to a giant third-party roster.
13 is still a ridiculous amount. Every Nintendo franchise should get a rep before that happens.

Lets say there are 10 3rd party dlc characters.

Add roy mewtwo and lucas and lets throw in wolf

14 dlc characters right there. Now many people dont expect more than 7 or 8 dlc characters. There certaunly wouldnt be many more than 14. So 4 veterans to 10 3rd party characters.

If there were 10 3rd party dlc characters there is no way that there would be as many 1st party dlc characters. 10 would be absolutely absurd.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I did a little research regarding her moveset, now I think I'm ready to rate.

Shantae Chance:
7.5%
First of, I will automatically give a +1 percentage to any third-party character whose game creator supports their inclusion.
Shantae's popularity has grown quite a surprising amount since the ballot, it's still going pretty strong today. Her games have been releasing quite constantly on the eShop with Risky's Revenge and Pirates, and with the upcoming Kickstarter to show people want Shantae to become a big third-party franchise, certainly something big enough to qualify her into Smash.

Her potential moveset seems to be mainly on transformation, which is trump-able by making them temporary attacks and her gimmick could involve having special and powerful transformation for special moves, but bellydancing takes time to transform and you can only transform into one form at a time.

The only problem she has is that her games have not been released in Japan, that's something significant Shantae is lacking for me to give her a higher chance. Her chances are ok for the most part, but not enough to fix her problem with no Japanese release.

Shantae Want:
65%
I still have not gotten to play her games, yet, the sprite animation certainly has me interested.

Inkling Prediction:
58.67%
I think this will probably be pretty high, I see very few who are against new IPs getting characters before release.
Nominations:
x5 Agnes Oblige

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In terms of third parties, I think we'll get 4 at the absolute maximum, counting Ryu and Snake. I'd say the other two reps would be Rayman and a Square Enix character (probably Neku or a BD character).

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I don't think there is a maximum limit for DLC fighters in Smash, I think they'll simply make them until it stops being profitable, but even then, 10 3rd party characters is really pushing it. I could see maybe 5 if they end up making, I dunno, 20 DLC characters, but they'd have to intentionally ignore a lot of highly requested Nintendo characters to get 10 3rd party characters.

D

Deleted member

Three third-party characters as DLC (counting Ryu) will almost certainly not happen. We will be lucky to get Snake back at this point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shantae

Chance: 5%
Best indie for the job. But indie.

Want: 75%
I'd be happy, she'd fit great.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
Shantae
Chance: 10%
I'm not pessimistic. This "indie" label really doesn't register with me, and I'd like to think that each character has as much chance as everyone else. She's certainly NOT an outlandish suggestion, and the idea that her getting in opens the door for the likes of Shrek and Goku is just silly. (I dare say people are just threatened over the idea of third-parties getting in over characters that they want.)

Want: 95%
I'll be honest, I can't help feeling that Shantae would fit perfectly in Smash. Cartoony, female hero with an upcoming game, and most of all, incredibly fun. It wouldn't be the end of my world if she didn't get in, but I'd be overjoyed if she did.

Nominations:
Andy x3
Ray x2

Last edited:

Sonic 2099 The Hedgehog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonic09Hedgehog
3DS FC
4038-6177-1632
Shantae

Chances: 10/15%
Best Indie Game Ever but Still Not Populair Enough.

Want: 100%
Every Reason Possible.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Shantae
Chance: 2.7%
Well she's an indie character. I don't really know what else to say. Despite not being likely to become playable in Smash, I'd say she's even less likely to become playable in Smash via DLC. I could be wrong, but I think it's safe to say that her chances aren't that great. If I kept going I'd just end up repeating what many have already said about the character prior to me. So with that said, I'll go ahead and give the belly dancer the low score of 2.7%
A character who would have to work really hard to make her way in, but I don't think any indie characters are up to the task...

Want: 8%
If an indie character managed to become playable she would probably be my number one pick, but that's not saying much as I personally don't want to see indie characters become playable.

Prediction - Inkling: 43.3%

Nominations:
x3 Toon Zelda
x2 Tetra

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Shantae
Chance: 0.01%
Nothing I can say hasn't already been said yet. Indie. 3rd party. Not legendary. No release in Japan. All that stuff.

I've never played the games. They don't look appealing to me, and neither does the character. Go home Shantae.

Inkling Chance: 55%
Want: 90%

Nominations:
9-Volt x3
Young Cricket x1
Anthony Higgs x1

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
For 3rd Party characters, I think we'll get Ryu. That's it. The chances of getting any one else are approximately zero if you ask me
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/06/nintendo-3rd-party-smash-bros-dlc-votes/

If they'd stated that third parties wouldn't be considered you'd be right, but given that they stated the opposite, and that Ryu is almost definitely not taking the ballot into consideration, claiming "Approximately zero" is a bit shortsighted, don't you think?

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Man what a day to start this game on.

Shantae
Chance: 3% - And this is being generous. Smash 4 is being developed by a Japanese developer, and Shantae's never had a release in Japan. Sakurai probably doesn't even know who she is, let alone feel she's worthy to stand amongst the likes of Mario, Sonic, Megaman and Pacman. People rating her with anything higher than 10% is pushing it, and those rating higher than 30%? Insanity. (also notice many of the 30%+'ers usually have a Shantae avatar, I wonder why) However, I've given her +2% more than the base one that the character is a video game character on a Nintendo console because A) She's technically not indie, having started on the Gameboy, and B) because her devs are actively campaigining for her inclusion and will likely attempt conversations with Nintendo about the topic. Even then, she's going to need a hell of a lot more than luck to oust big names like K. Rool, Dixie (who also fills the hair-user niche), Impa, Tails, etc.

Want: 10% - I don't want her in the game because a character seen as "indie" getting in would only make every other indie dev already campaigning go into a rabid self-**** fest trying to get their character in. She's not iconic, definitely not a notable part of Nintendo's history, and definitely not worthy to be 3rd party character #4. However, her moveset potential is through the roof based on her myriad of abilities, so that much is enough to give her +10% in my book.

Nominations: Ray (Custom Robo) x 3, Andy (Advance Wars) x 2

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Shantae:

Chance - 0.1%
I pretty much agree with your sentiments, as much as I'd want to set the bar less stringent for characters who've put their effort forth. Though if this much is true, then I'll ask why you're giving Shovel Knight the pentavote treatment every day? I mean, yeah, I want Shovel Knight so much that he was my 2nd ballot vote. But he pretty much comes from the same place as Shantae ATM.

RATINGS

Shantae

Chance - 20.5%: Really, she's got some nice factors favoring her amongst the other indies & perhaps other 3rd parties. However, her supporters and her publicity really needs to put more weight out behind her if they're already motivated to beat her paramount odds. I think the two detractors that are most apparent are her obscurity within Japan and her status as an indie icon.

Shantae has some vigorous support shown across the US poll results and she maintains a consistent presence around forums and social media claimed to the Smash community. In fact, Shantae often breaks Top 10 spots in character polls, which already makes her a sturdy contender if we were to cut all requests through Western countries. That frequency's got to make her pretty noticeable.

However, her games have never been released outside of Japan, so the least amount of support she has to Nintendo's native country only makes a splash within a sea. Granted, Sakurai has shown not to be partial to Japan, as evident by Little Mac and Duck Hunt. I'm sure he'd consider Shantae the same terms, but those two characters were less of a chore to implement due to being 1st parties & there are tons more characters in the ballot that they would be more familiar with their material to implement (hopefully without doing something sleazy like fudging the results to a preferred character if Shantae were to hypothetically lead.) Hopefully, Inti Creates localizing The Pirate's Curse & Half-Genie Hero will grow her fanbase over there. Even without that, I would think turning the tides with Shantae's popularity to the Japanese fanbase would be great. Just like they did to us with Fire Emblem and Earthbound.

Then we have her status as an indie character, which charts into some really complicated, unverifiable waters (y'know, cuz' she's a genie pirate! *honk honk*) Historically, Shantae's games have been blundered with poor release timing and strenuous production constraints. Though she's managed to maintain much fame, competition is already tight with indie contenders, most notably Shovel Knight and maybe Quote. We know Sakurai's maintained an obdurate stance on 3rd party criteria, as they must be legend caliber. Given the paradigm of 3rd parties we have (not to mention the possibility of Ryu reinforcing it), all have been pioneers in their genres or have remained extremely iconic for decades.

The lot of 3rd parties, Shantae unbarred, mostly have borrowed gameplay concepts from franchises already in Smash. While they are certainly original, they are by no means revolutionaries. Yeah, WayForward's been doing an extravagant job cutting down like 50% of her development phase for Sora/Namco with all the concept art. Though it does beg the question, is Shantae really all that notable if its already difficult getting people to recognize her? That might come off desperate to Sakurai.

Shantae's fans have already attested to the oodles of potential she has. And they are more qualified than me to speak on her behalf. Though I'll still give my piece off of theirs'. Right off the bat, Shantae can use her ponytail as her main means of attack (what now, Dixie?) This would give her an edge in nimbleness and range. Not only that, but she can use her hair to levitate. She has a lot of fire-based magic at her disposal thanks to her mother's genie heritage. She has the ability to transform into numerous animals, probably involving some belly-dancing magic entrancements. Don't forget her pirate arsenal of canons, blunderbusses, scimitars, flying-hat, and more I'm probably forgetting.

Want - 87%: Before I begin, I would like to refer back to my early point about Sakurai's 3rd party criteria. Would I like to see this rule change? Yes indeed! For the most part, the exceptions people observe around these are thoughtform from speculators. They aren't inscribed in some holy epitaph wedged in a manila folder somewhere in Sakurai's desk. It would make the process easier for many great characters if the fans didn't take it so seriously, for one (myself included, as much as I try to stray away from these.) Secondly, the ballot was made for us, the fans. So even if the masses want friggin' Baby Metal Wireframe Bubsy the Bobcat-hog Jr., then Sakurai and his team will make that come true as a token of gratitude. Thirdly, which also ties in with why I think we deserve an indie character in Smash, it would be extremely inspiring for every indie dev out there to see their oh-so miniscule character make it into the cast of Nintendo all-stars. It shows that no matter how little our efforts amount, how small our profits reap, how futile our ideas are celebrated, you're still one of us. The people behind many of those games are very talented and can create a damn good game that can even be classic-worthy. But no, only the AAA übermensch can only be legendary enough for Smash. And whoever makes it will forever be enshrined as a pioneer of the indie community. Commander Video's cameo as a trophy and Nintendo's support of indies already shows their willingness. So let's make it as big as we know we can.

Personally, I would receive Shantae very warmly over many other popular character choices. Heck, her games I'll probably play some day and it looks like something I would fall in love with if I tried. She brings a legacy of quirky, vibrant fun and adorableness. Pretty likeable character if you ask me.

The main reasons why I don't support her result from my indifference and preference over other characters. I guess the draft of obscurity has caught me up a bit. I mean, I recognize her. But I don't know **** about the character to through a vote behind her. While I laud Shantae, if it came down to a tussle between Shovel Knight and Shantae, the Blue Burrower can have her eat sod. That's my preference and I'm happy to see Shovel Knight rivaling King K. Roll in many poll preliminaries. That says a lot, considering he and Shantae basically have the same odds.

PREDICTION

Inkling (Yay, I get to use something other than that monotonous pale blue for once! Beat it, default male Inkling!)

Chance - 55%
Want - 95%

NOMINATIONS

Concept: No DLC Characters After Fighter Ballot x3
Galacta Knight x2

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
4% Chance I know Shantae has garnered many, many loyal and dedicated fans over the years but I just dont see this character from an obscure, one time only Gameboy (advance?) game making it in. though I am ignorant about the subject.

Want 48% Although I dont see her making it in, I wouldnt mind it. It would very surprising to many and she seems cute enough so why not?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
4% Chance I know Shantae has garnered many, many loyal and dedicated fans over the years but I just dont see this character from an obscure, one time only Gameboy (advance?) game making it in. though I am ignorant about the subject.

Want 48% Although I dont see her making it in, I wouldnt mind it. It would very surprising to many and she seems cute enough so why not?
Shantae's first game released on Game Boy Color and was later ported to Game Boy Advance, Shantae's Risky Revenge was released for DSiWare, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was released for 3DS and Wii U, and Shantae: Half Genie Hero is in development and will be coming to Wii U this year.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Shantae
Chances: 1%
Shantae has some nice positives to her, she's decently popular, has good moveset potential, has supported Nintendo almost consistently during her lifetime, and has the support of her company. However, she has two big flaws, and unfortunately for her, they're big flaws. The first is that she's not as well known in Japan, which is really harmful for her as it means she's losing a large chunk of recognition among Smash's home fanbase. The second, and the biggest one, is that she's an indie character and thus not that noteworthy a third party like the ones already in Smash.

Now, one of the things I've been seeing in this thread is that Sakurai can change his mind on this criteria and still add her in. While it is true that he can change his mind, the thing that we are forgetting is that it doesn't remove the previously set precedence caused by this mindset. The thing is, even if Sakurai hadn't said that third parties had to be a special case, characters like Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man and Snake (and Ryu) are in a league of their own that represent a large part of not only Nintendo's history, but video game history in general and that aspect is not lost on any of those candidates. Shantae just can't hold a candle to those characters as she's not nearly that recognizable of a character, and it's because of that fact that she takes a large hit to her potential chances of getting into the game.

Want: Abstain

Last edited:

Bill Nye

Smash Rookie
Shantae
Chance: 2%
I don't see her as an icon or Nintendo all star. I also believe Quote would be the Indie rep if they chose one. Shantae is kinda small when compared to other Third Party competition (Rayman, Layton, Ryu, Snake)

Haven't played her games, and want other third parties before her.

Nominations: Henry Fleming x 3
Ridley x 2

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This is highly relevant. It's from Shantae: Half-Genie Hero's Kickstarter page.

Shantae in SMASH BROS?!? VOTE NOW!

Is anyone else losing their mind over this? Nintendo president Mr. Iwata has opened up voting to add your favorite character into SMASH BROS! As the original indie darling, we can’t think of anyone more suited to the task than our own hair-whipping heroine Shantae! She’s got the legacy, having Nintendo exclusive game launches dating back to Game Boy Color -- but her costume swaps and move sets are a perfect fit as well! More girl power, more magic, more music, more moves! VOTE NOW!

North America Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
EU-UK Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-uk/
Japan Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/jp/

After you vote (you voted, right?) check out these awesome costume variations from our art team! We want Shantae in SMASH BROS., but it’s up to YOU! We already know what happens when you combine your collective might! Make some noise and VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

North America Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/
EU-UK Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/en-uk/
Japan Smash Ballot - https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/jp/

While many companies have mentioned wanting their character in Smash Bros as a passing thought, Shantae's developers are making an effort to get their fans to vote for Shantae. They're serious about it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I pretty much agree with your sentiments, as much as I'd want to set the bar less stringent for characters who've put their effort forth. Though if this much is true, then I'll ask why you're giving Shovel Knight the pentavote treatment every day? I mean, yeah, I want Shovel Knight so much that he was my 2nd ballot vote. But he pretty much comes from the same place as Shantae ATM.
I'd like to get through the high vote-getting third parties relatively early on so we can move on to the remaining Nintendo characters, or to stuff like stages or music.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
To be fair, he hasn't been on a Nintendo console, at least not from my knowledge.
Nope, and never will be now thanks to the other Redmond, WA company. Prepare instead for the 3DS and Wii U eShops to be loaded with glorified procedurally-generating cube construction sandbox ripoffs galore!

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Shantae's first game released on Game Boy Color and was later ported to Game Boy Advance, Shantae's Risky Revenge was released for DSiWare, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was released for 3DS and Wii U, and Shantae: Half Genie Hero is in development and will be coming to Wii U this year.
OH... WOW.
I had no idea... xD

I'll bump her chances up from 4% to uhh... 34% percent then!

I'd like to play some of her games to see what all the fuss is about yeah? :3

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
OH... WOW.
I had no idea... xD

I'll bump her chances up from 4% to uhh... 34% percent then!

I'd like to play some of her games to see what all the fuss is about yeah? :3
That's...quite the increase. She still hasn't had a Japanese release and she is third party.

Last edited:
Top Bottom