• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
King K. Rool chances: abstain
I have no idea about King K. Rool's chances at this point. The costume makes me worried that Sakurai for whatever reason didn't want him as a fully-fledged DLC character, but at the same time it may be a sign that he's actually coming... at least it proves that Sakurai has an opinion on the character and that he's not indifferent about him.

Sure, King K. Rool is very popular as a pick for Smash, but that doesn't mean Sakurai has to add him if for whatever reason he doesn't want to. Maybe he has trouble imagining a satisfying moveset for him (for example if he thinks a multi-persona based moveset wouldn't feel right), or any potential design issues (considering for example that Donkey Kong is one of the biggest characters in the game and making King K. Rool imposing compared to him could potentially make him too big?), or maybe he has some bias against the character and sees him as disposable for Smash? Maybe he prefers Dixie Kong for another DK representative, or by extension, other characters regardless of their origin? (I'm not hating on Dixie and other competitors btw, I'm just theorizing about why K. Rool could potentially have been excluded.) Maybe he would fear that he has less selling power than other characters? The hurdles K. Rool actually has to face aren't a obvious as for the likes of Ridley or Tetrimino (except for the lack of MUH RELEVANCE RECENCY!!!!1!1!! which I think is fan made-up bs to an extent), but we shouldn't exclude the possibility that Sakurai doesn't see K. Rool as a priority.

Though the costume isn't a full deconfirmation, and it'd only be the case if Sakurai sees the costume as a consolation prize because let's be honest, Isabelle, Lloyd, Zero, Chrom, Dunban and co ain't gonna become playable, and I don't expect Inklings either due to them most likely being a technical nightmare if Sakurai wants to do them justice especially because of the 3DS. But at the same time it's pretty much guaranteed that him and Nintendo are aware of his popularity as a Smash pick, so if K. Rool gets excluded altogether when support for SSB4 DLC stops, I think it's kind of likely that we would have heard of Sakurai talking about him at that point. But what if the costume is some sort of marketing thing and hype builder for the real King K. Rool, to give people something else to talk about him and make people want him even more? The fact the model had to be fully recreated whereas most Mii costumes based on video game characters are easier model rips from either characters, trophies or other games (even Flying Man who most likely came from assets for the planned 3D model on Magicant which was scrapped so that work didn't go to waste) seems rather suspicious, though that's not a definitive proof.

Overall I'd say this costume could be either the biggest slap in the face a fanbase had gotten since Ridley's shadow, or the biggest hint since the Pseudo-Palutena troll in the Direct, though as a supporter of the king I'm prepared for the former. But which scenario is the most likely I honestly have no idea, and it could be possible that we Sakurai could still continue to ignore fan reactions to the costume even if he doesn't make it in, even though I'd be surprised if it was what happened.

King K. Rool want: 100%
Of course I want him! And as a fully-fledged playable character, not as a Mii cosplayer, and for this reason I was upset after clicking on a link telling "KING K. ROOL CONFIRMED FOR SMASH 4" redirecting me to SmashBrosJP's twitter; I was rather amazed when I saw the top of his head, only to see this potential hype come to waste when I scrolled down:

Inspired from this: http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140911211647/ssb/images/3/37/Dr_Mario_not_Mewtwo.jpg

When I saw this Mii I couldn't believe it, I thought it was some cruel joke (no pun intended) from a fake account for about half a minute, and it made me really worried that Sakurai could really have put such a strong contender down to the same level as no-hopers like Chrom or Dunban.

Besides, Donkey Kong had been a very influential series in my gamer life, and King K. Rool really felt like a memorable villain to the same extent as Ganondorf, especially with those funny cutscenes in Donkey Kong 64. And besides maybe Dr. Lobe (lol) I think he was the first character I ever thought of when I tried to imagine who else could join the roster after unlocking everyone in Brawl, though my lack or emotional involvement with the Smash roster and the fact I feared he would potentially be another generic heavyweight (I've only beaten DKC3 and DK64 for a long time) prevented me to support him besides passively thinking "He could be cool" until late 2014. I've actively been wanting him ever since my fears of "yet another generic heavyweight" wore off, especially thanks to the amazingly well written OP of his support thread.

This isn't going to be the end of the world if K. Rool doesn't make it in, though it would still be kind of a letdown, but he's getting my full support considering the only character I want more has very little shot and is taken as a joke by the majority. I wouldn't mind Dixie Kong either, I feel that she's deserving as well, but I've considered K. Rool for Smash since much longer and thus he became my personal preference for a new DK character.

-----

Non-playable representation for ballot runner-ups prediction: 53.53%
I wanted to say it sooner but @ Delzethin Delzethin stole my words: this rating will be pretty much the opposite of today's one.

Mrs. Pac-Man alternate costume prediction: 6.02%
Slightly higher than the Ken alt for Ryu I suppose?

Nominating:
Returning stage: Meta Crystal x3
(Rerate) Returning fighters: Squirtle and Ivysaur x2

I'm asking for a Squirtle and Ivysaur rerate because I can't stand seeing them above the concept of multiple DLC characters from the same series in chances, which literally kills any credibility this game has (did people forget Mewtwo was a thing?), and I have more faith in seeing them decrease than to see that concept increase.
Besides, may I nominate them collectively? Because you know, it would make no sense to not rate them during the same day... If I can only nominate them separately, then count this as x1 each of Ivysaur and Squirtle.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
King K Rool :bowser: :mad088: :dk::pikachu:

chance: 75%
Even though a mii costume may hurt his chances, he is still a very likely choice. Again, this whole ballot is about fan service and it be stupid if nintendo just ignored us and just gave us a costume only. By right now, Nintendo is very much aware of his popularity and his fan base. King K Rool has been requested for such a long time that he is long overdue. I don't think this costume de confirms but and i don't think nintendo wanted to hurt k rools chances on purpose. That be to kruel. Everyone thought toon link wasn't going to be in the game because he was a background on spirit tracks, but he turned out a character. People said mewtwo and lucas were do with because they were first trophies in the game. Months later, their DLC characters. They were chosen due to high demand. Its the same thing with King K. Rool right now. If he were to be chosen, its because he is a high demanded character. So I don't really see this costume de confirming him. Nintendo knows how much we want k rool right now and that be smart to add k rool as DLC. That trademark can't just mean for k rool to be a costume, their has to be more. His chances are still very high if people keep giving him the support, and love that they have been since this ballot.

want: 100%
King K. Rool is really the only big nintendo villain that is popular that hasn't been featured in smash yet. He is just as iconic as bowser and ganondorf. There hasn't been any other character that i have wanted than king k rool. Smash needs more unique villains and a fresh new DK rep. Its funny because DK is one of the most beloved franchises from nintendo so you figure you would have at least 3 reps. I grew up with DKC and i remember playing him in the last fight. I really do hope that i get to play as him in smash soon! long live the king!

Nominations
Krystal x5

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
King K Rool

Chance: 30%
The costume really hurts him.

Want: 100%
One of Us One of Us
Predictions: Ms. Pacman 3%

Predictions: Non playable ballot content 10%

Nominations: Sturm X5.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
For k rool let's see,

20% chance - the costume isn't completely damning, since anything can change and happen regardless of that. But I'm still in the belief that sakaurai hasn't added him after this long for a reason.

5% want - I've never really cared for this guy all that much at all. I've played and been around the dk franchise since its inception but his design and costume gimmick never did anything for me.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
King K. Rool:

Chance: 100%

Yes, I am convinced. We will see the King in Smash.
The Costume doesn't hurt him at all in my opinion. If anything, it shows that nintendo is aware of his popularity and the costume was just a cash grab on their part. Cannot blame them, though.

There's been such a high demand for him that Nintendo simply cannot afford to not add him to the game. Each Kutthroat is a potential consumer of the DLC, afterall.
Plus, a giant Krokodile will ring with the younger crowd, I imagine.

In my dreams...I see you...I feel you...

Geno Boost

Smash Master
King K. Rool chances 60%
the costume kinda hurts him because if they added King K. Rool after people did buy a Mii kostume it will make people feels like they wasted their money on something that was worse and was not needed to buy it if he was already going to be in the game but he is most likley going to win the ballout.

Want 100%
YES!!! he is my 4th most wanted character!

Nomination:
Donkey Kong jr. x5
King K. Rool:

Chance: 100%
100% chance = Konfirmed
he is not konfirmed and you dont work at Nintendo, maybe they already planned from the begining who are they going to add but dont get your hopes up that much to think that he is already playable when you have no idea whats Sakurai plans.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool:

Chance - 75% (down from 90%)
I find a ton more logic in the arguments in favor of him still having good odds...an "irrelevant" character being the only one to get an all-new model made for him and not ripped from a trophy (above and beyond for a character with decent existing resources), getting dumped alongside costumes for characters who don't seem to be ballot "consolations," and not having the costume tied to the ballot at all in press releases or mentioned as a disconfirmation anywhere, unlike others like Chrom and Ridley.

The opposition arguments are largely just desperate conjecture used to write off another character "taking their favorite's spot," namely the suggestion box and casual talking points, as well as that a costume of a longtime popular character "obviously" came only because of the very latest of many sources of popularity, and was "obviously" intended as a final verdict on the character. There's also a lot of pessimism that this is "just like Ridley," which is really only true in principle, because otherwise, an uninhibitive Halloween suit is worlds apart from a boss. Oh, and the perennial favorite, "relevance," which didn't keep this costume from being made and sold, almost like your latest game being X years older than another character's doesn't inhibit your appeal at all in comparison.

All in all, I said last time that the 10% of him missing out comes from Sakurai pulling some personal reason out of a place where the sun doesn't shine as to why not to choose a character whose benefits speak for themselves. The additional 15% stems from him potentially having dug deep to find an even more demoralizing half-measure for the character with the Mii costumes. But nothing is truly conclusive so far, and I'm going to stay cautiously optimistic until either the end? or the end.

Want - 100%

NPC Ballot Stuff Prediction - 12.5%

Nominate Brash the Friggin' Bear x5

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
King K. Rool.

Chance: 21%
Mii outfit. I don't think he's as definite as many of his fans claim him to be. He's still got a chance as Sm4sh DLC, but I'd say he has a better chance of being one of the first 5mash newcomers.

Want: 50%
Honestly not sure how to feel about this character anymore.

Non Playable character Ballot Prediction: 8.6%

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
K.Rool

Chance 45%
Even though I personally prefer K.Rool over Dixie Kong, I always kinda felt that Dixie was probably in a better position in terms of chances. The costume kinda feels like it only further reinforces my feelings on that....

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see K.Rool make it in one day and I'd certainly be very happy to see him make it in after all. But I just don't really see Nintendo selling both the costume and the character as DLC....

I think he'd probably have a better chance as a newcomer for the initial roster of Smash 5.....

Want 75%
He's not really a character I'm dying to see but I'd certainly love to see him in the game one day.

NPC ballot prediction: 25%
Miss Pac-Man alt: 4%

abstain on nomination though.

Last edited:
King K. Rool
Chance: 75% (I still have faith)

Non-playable ballot stuff prediction: 11%
Ms. Pac-Man alt prediction: 7%

Nominations:
Saffron City 5x
Meta Crystal 5x

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
King K Rool

Chance: 50%
Since the mii costume reveal I'm kind of in the boat where I'm not sure if he's in or out, Sakurai's mind games has put a lot of people on edge including myself, so for now I'm playing the 50/50 card for now. Please have a Direct soon my mind can't take this...

Nom: Dragon Quest Hero x5

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
King K. Rool

Chance: 10%
I was almost ready to lay flowers at his grave, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume there's still a pulse until we get a firm confirmation on his status.

Want: 15%
The only heavyweight I ever played on a consistent basis was Snake. Unless K. Rool offers something similar to what he did, I can't see myself getting excited over his appearance.

Predictions
Ballot Runner-ups Stuff: 12.7%
Ms. Pac-Man Alt: 1.98%

Nominations
x4 Slippy Toad
x1 Destin Faroda (He's worth at least one.)

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
K. Inky Rool (because he and Inklings are costumes)

Chance: 60%

The joke above is actually my first counterpoint to the "consolation-prize" thought:
Only the King and Inkling are popular characters that gained Mii Costumes, with only the King being a possible consolation prize.
And that's fishy.
If he was truly a consolation prize he'd be paired with Isaac, Bandana Dee and Krystal, NOT Chrom, Flying Man and Winnie the Pooh.

Relevancy is not a big problem.
While it could be a possible Dixie's edge over him, "lower priority" doesn't mean that non-relevant characters can never get in ever.

If it's not neccesarily a consolation prize, his popularity, villain-status and moveset potential with the Blunderbuss still stand.
If the Ballot was just a suggestion box, not making the most popular character there is, while charging money for it, while saying it will be fan-service would be very dumb.
And while it might be a suggestion box, many people are suggesting K. Rool.
And I'm sure this clear of a popularity counts for something.

The rest is all speculation, both sides of the coin are made of a huge chunk of tin foil.

I myself have a chunk of tin-foil theories as well, hope you have your salt-grains ready:

1. A Tweet of Nintendo Europe showed King Mii Rool DSmashes Mario and Luigi.
The caption? And then this happened.

2. Sakurai didn't want Vanilla King K. Rool to use the Kaptain's Blunderbuss as he views it as Dr. Mario using Fireballs.
He tried to continue with Vanilla K. Rool and didn't come further than an heavyweight with a Cannonball.
Thus he created a Mii Costume.

Want: 80%
Yes please.
I actually like the Suicide Luchador you can make of Mii Kruel.
Now I just want the trap and kruel side of him.

Ballot Runner-Ups: 48.7%
Ms Pac Alt: 2.14%

Original XenoBlade rep x10

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This has been more peaceful than I expected.

No bloodbath anywhere.

...yet.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
King K Rool

Chances now: 5%

The way that Sakurai treated Mii Fighter costume DLC suggests that they are meant to be some sort of "fan-service".

Look at Lloyd Irving's costume. It's a new model. So are the Virtua Fighter and Tekken Miis. The Inkling Mii costume even includes a TROPHY. Is anybody thinking that Lloyd still has a decent chance?

Also, we have to consider the fact that he hasn't made a single appearance in the Mario or Donkey Kong games since Mario Super Sluggers, despite both of the franchises going strong. Many people dismiss characters such as Daisy or Sceptile for being "irrelevant", but they still make regular appearances.

Want: Abstain

I think Cranky Kong would be a better DK character for Smash.

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
Hi! :)
King K. Rool

Chance: 40%
Thanks to the survey and the popularity K. Rool has in the nets, I think he has a chance, but Sakurai and company will have the final say.

Want: 10%
He isn't a character who hate, but don't call me anything. I don't like the design and wouldn't buy its DLC. Of course, if K. Rool had been in the initial panel, I would be delighted to see how he is.

Nomination: Chrom x5

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

Too bad he's a Mii Costume, he was topping polls everywhere and his fanbase was really big.
Not to mention how well liked he was in general.
Not all costumes came from the ballot.....

What about the Monkey and Bear Suits? These look awesome and are generic. Maybe the Flying Man is in that catergory....

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
King K. Rool

Chance:

Before I begin, I want to make my position clear. I personally believe King K. Rool is easily the most probable newcomer for DLC, and a strong contender for most probable character period. Wolf is the only character I would argue being potentially more popular, and it is my goal to try convince you this is the case, or at least that he is not as down and out as you may think. With this all said, I think it's prudent to really begin with the most obvious thing.

As everyone is no doubt aware, the most recent update brought with it a (very nicely made, if I do say so) Mii costume of King K. Rool, which has caused a pretty colossal stir. A good number of people think this is damaging to his chances, as they believe it is intended as a "commiseration gift" for his fans based on the ballot. I disagree. Here's why:

1) DLC was almost certainly planned in advance. This is something I'm pretty sure nobody will argue. Between the surprise reveal of Roy and Lucas and the consistent stream of DLC we've had, it is pretty much impossible to argue that a plan for DLC in this game has been around for a long while. The question is whether this costume was planned or not. To which I ask: why wouldn't it be, other than the fact you might like it to be a disconfirmation? There is plenty of good reason to believe that this is the case, as K. Rool was demonstrably popular pre-release, at or around the top of the annual polls. It's easy to think his ballot popularity is the reason for this but he was noticeably popular long before the ballot happened.

2) He is the only character to receive this treatment. This is a fairly big one for me. If you believe Sakurai is handing out apology costumes for ballot losers, why is King K Rool the only noteworthy ballot contender to have received one? Mii Hoodie and Honey Bear Brawler certainly aren't topping the ballot, Chrom is already in the game as a Final Smash, and Black Knight and Lloyd Irving weren't realistically near the top of anyone's "most likely" lists.

Note that I haven't included Inkling in the above. That costume was released so close to Splatoon that it was almost certainly marketing purposes, and I don't believe they are deconfirmed either.

3) The timing. At the time this costume was released, there were still 2 months to go until the ballot ended. Why would Sakurai be handing out deconfirmations at that time?

4) Purported disconfirmation of the entire argument. Several members of the K Rool thread have claimed to have rang Nintendo independently to ask if the costume was a deconfirmation. Their responses were uniformly "no, it isn't" or "I don't know".

Obviously, this requires somewhat more trust than the other reasons, which is why I placed it last.

Now that I've had a look at why I don't believe the costume is a deconfirmation, let's ask what impact it does have:

1) Potential loss of popularity. One reasonably common argument is that people may have jumped ship since this announcement. Anecdotally I don't think this is the case as I've actually observed the opposite, but I largely have one thing to say - that is, if you believe this costume is based on ballot popularity then those votes have already been counted making this a non-issue.

2) It is controversial. This is a statement, not an argument. Miiverse (particularly the DK parts) are overloaded with K Rool propaganda, and the Twitters for both Nintendo and Sakurai himself are flooded with stuff regarding K Rool. Moreover, a lot of K Rool supporters have gone and resubmitted their votes to re-affirm their desire for K Rool as a playable fighter (And to thank Sakurai for the costume as well; hopefully it has remained civil). This has almost undoubtedly brought K Rool into the spotlight and Nintendo will have difficulty ignoring it.

3) King K. Rool is relevant again. I wanted to say this. A common thread amongst detractors is his irrelevancy, but this costume is Nintendo using King K Rool in his classic design as well. You cannot say he's been forgotten now; especially in the same breath trying to use this costume to argue he's deconfirmed!

Finally, I want to remark that there is no evidence that Mii Costume = Disconfirmation. There are multiple characters already in the game who have costumes or helmets in addition to them, and there is absolutely nothing documented by Sakurai on the matter. Remember post release when people were thinking trophies in the game equated to disconfirmations for Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy? Yeah, same here.

On this vein, it is very tempting to try compare King K Rool to Ridley, in that they are both highly popular requested characters seemingly disconfirmed. I want to put this argument to bed. Ridley was teased as having an active role in the game as a boss pre-development where we did not have a platform to properly request him. K Rool has received a passive role and we can still vote and actively influence the ballot. The two situations are completely different. And I'm not even going to address the particular breed of troll who now claims K Rool is too big.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough about the costume. It's time to look at what else King K Rool has going for him:

1) Popularity. King K Rool is the most requested newcomer bar none, and his popularity is global, being massive in the west and being the most popular newcomer in Japan, a market many believe crucial. It is extremely rare to see him outside of the top 3 in any poll, and he very regularly makes the top spot. This is a big deal; the most requested characters in the pre-Melee (Bowser), pre-Brawl (Sonic) and pre-4 (Megaman) have always gotten in. It's a common theme to say Sakurai ignores requests and does his own thing but it's not true. He's been very good in general about fan requests as evidenced by the characters we've gotten in.

2) Moveset Potential. King K Rool has a demonstrably absurd amount of movepool potential, as a little while spent watching his various boss battles will tell you. It is easy to make good, functional movesets based around his boss battles individually (excluding DKC3) or as a combination of them, a plethora of other techniques from various more minor appearances and spin-offs, as well as the various moves you can design from scratch. It is worth noting that K Rool's habit of adopting different personas each game makes him one of the characters most amenable to constructing entirely new moves for, as it's largely within character. There are two main gripes people have with this:

2.1) He'd just be a Bowser clone. Well... He could be. He could also be a Dedede clone. Or a ROB clone. Or a Little Mac clone. The list goes on; the K Rool thread made him cloned movesets of every character in the game's specials. Being able to pick one specific move that bears resemblances to one other specific move of one of the 50 plus characters in this game is not an argument. However there is no reason to believe Sakurai would do this anyway, after he so faithfully recreated Diddy Kong from Donkey Kong 64.

2.2) He might not tick Sakurai's uniqueness boxes. This isn't really something I can argue, because it's absolute speculation. If we apply this to a character with as much to work with as Sakurai we may as well just subtract a flat percentage off of every character. It's a vapid, meaningless argument and not worth the sentences I've spent refuting it.

3) Surge in relevancy. The Mii costume is already one thing, but a lot has gone on for K Rool that you might not immediately know. He's recently been trademarked again (not registered), as well as every single one of his boss battles being rereleased on the Virtual Console. He is as relevant now as he has been at any point during the past 7 years since Super Sluggers.

To me, all these various reasons do not paint a picture of despair for this character. He is looking extremely good and any other newcomer would kill for a list of credentials this long. I firmly believe he is the most likely newcomer, period. Wolf is obviously a character with as much or more going from him, but who cares? We know from PushDustIn's translations that we will get at least 2 more characters, and I am certain there will be a newcomer. It would be absolutely awful business sense to just release veterans in the ballot from a PR perspective. And if there is a newcomer, it is more likely than not in my mind to be King K Rool.

Chance - 75%

Want - 100%

It was never going to be anything else after the amount of time I spent typing this up.

A couple of specific responses to points raised by other users I hadn't yet covered:

1) Low chance because Kremlings aren't being used. Erm, they are. In Smash 4 itself, in Smash Run. And as said, every boss battle involving him has been rereleased on the Virtual Console in the past year.

2) Not being used in his own series. True for now, but almost certainly not for much longer. The DKCR games are being developed by Retro Studios, whose president has been following the Bring Back K Rool movement on Twitter since long before his popularity exploded on the ballot.

tl;dr: We do not have enough information to draw the conclusion that the Mii costume damages his chances at all.

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

King K. Rool
Chance:
15%

Copy and paste:
King K. Rool
Chance:
25%

I am entering this with a different mindset. I am going off of assumptions from given polls and general demand. However, while we still suggest these characters, Sakurai is ultimately the person who chooses these characters. No matter how big or important the character is, Sakurai might view our thoughts very differently. So, I don't think I can go beyond 50% chance for most characters.
With that being said, King K. Rool has some things going for him. He would be a very unique fighter, he is a very important Nintendo character and villain, and he is by far one of the most requested characters. Outside of Wolf and several veterans, he might as well be the most requested character for Smash 4 DLC. His main issue is that he wasn't in Tropical Freeze and other recent games, but I am starting to think that this isn't as problematic...
I think that I might have said something big here... "Sakurai might view our thoughts very differently." This might be the case because while we do view King K. Rool as an important character to Nintendo, he might not feel the same way and gave him a Mii Fighter outfit.
I do find the Mii Fighter outfit to be hurtful. While we can theoretically have King K. Rool be playable and have the Mii Fighter outfit at the same time, I can't deny the possibility that Sakurai seriously did consider King K. Rool and didn't deem him worthy.
For a friend. His most wanted character is King K. Rool and he was devastated by the Mii Fighter outfit.

Ballot Runner Up Prediction: 49.84%
I dunno.
Ms. Pac-Man Alt Prediction: 3.57%
Like a Ken alt, I find this to be unlikely.

Nominations: Amaterasu 5x

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
King K. Rool

Chance: 70%(down from 90%)
Mostly reiterating what other supporters have said, I feel that this costume isn't a direct deconfirmation. Mostly because if it was, Sakurai would have already said it, much like he instantly gave reasons of why Chrom was relegated to a Final Smash supporter. Yeah, I know, Ridley, but back then only the shadow was shown, not the full deal. It would have been like he showed only the crown or the foot of the Mii outfit and then showed the full costume months later.
It's hard to not imagine grim scenarios for the King, but I'm still fairly optimistic, considering some of the theories about the costume being a tease before the real man is shown,or being completely unrelated to the ballot. Ultimately, I'm not jumping off the Gangplank Galleon until it sinks or reaches port.

I could write an huge wall of text, but let's just say that there is an huge crocodile shaped hole in the roster right now that is waiting to be filled.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
King K. Rool

Chance: 75%

The fact that Nintendo has NOT addressed King K. Rool OR the mii costume since It's near horrific release is one of the bigger reasons I FULLY BELIEVE K. Rool is on the way. K. Rool at this point is "ridley 2" and I know for a FACT Sakurai is going to give the community this one. There's too much support and want for the character, It'll be the biggest surprise DLC and I think that's what Sakurai is planning on doing for his release. The Roy/Ryu/Lucas DLC was also supposed to be a super suprise but we know what went wrong there. All in all K. Rool's chances are pretty huge.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
K. Rool's Chance: 30%
He has some of the best ballot support, but that costume isn't doing him any favors. While Link and Samus have costumes, they're at the top when it comes to household Nintendo names. King K. Rool just isn't as big as they are, and it makes me wonder why Nintendo would go through the trouble to make a costume specifically of him if he would also be playable. It doesn't count him out, but I say the costume hurts his chances far more than helps it.

K. Rool's Want: 50%
I've got no reason to not want him, but he doesn't really excite me either. If he gets in, it'd be good and I'd buy him, but if all he does get is a costume, I wont lose any sleep over it.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
King K. Rool

Chance: 20%

Want: 80%

The whole Mii costume really threw a wrench to his chances. Could the Mii costume be a consolation prize or is it hype fuel? The ballot doesn't close until October so only time and Sakurai will tell.

Mrs. Pac-Man Alt: 1%

I always wondered why she never got alt treatment back when Pac-Man was revealed.

Nomination:

Rerate Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x5

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Baron-Kaptain-King "Krusha" K. Rool

While the costume could be a "consolation prize", a few things about that seem a bit odd. First off, why release a consolation prize before the ballot is over? Why deconfirm this particular highly requested character while ignoring the others? Secondly and most importantly, the costume is an entirely new model based on his original Rare design. They could've easily used the assets from his trophy like with the other costumes, yet they put so much extra effort into it. Why go so far for a costume? Why use the Rare design that hasn't been seen since DK64? I could understand Sakurai basing a character on their older, better design like he's done with Pac-Man and Mega Man, but doing it for a costume seems odd. Which is why I think there's a possibility that A: K. Rool is already in development as a playable character, and they used the assets from that model to create a costume (either as an early gift to fans or simply to make some extra $$$) or B: Sakurai knew he would want to use the Rare design if K. Rool got in, so he decided to use it for the costume as well so they'll match if he does decide to include K. Rool.

Obviously.

“I've been waiting a long time for this moment. Soon, Donkey Kong and his pretty little island Smash Bros.... will be no more.”

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Gonna be brief cause I gotta go to work soon.

King K. Rool

Chances: 98%

Hey, remember that time when the Meta-knight Mii costume was revealed and everybody was like "Meta-knight de-confirmed gg lel derp" and literally the next day Meta knight was confirmed? You'd think the fanbase would've learned something from this, but nope. To be clear, the Mii-costume de-confirmation argument is a sorry excuse of an argument that is based off of a failure of an argument( the assist trophy argument). It's actually worse because, unlike that argument, this one has no base foundation to support it! No examples( none that can't be easily countered at least), no official statements, nothing. It's an assumption that came WAY out of left field and it has nothing supporting it.
With that out of the way, King K. Rool is still extremely popular. Even with this new shift of opinions, Sakurai's team has most likely already began looking at the ballot nominations, so even if some fans decide to shift over to other candidates( if they can that is) it probably wouldn't effect his ballot score.

Want: 10%

But that little rant didn't change your mind about his chances being hurt, ofcourse it didn't, I know the crowd I'm trying to talk to. So if you still want a villain character in the roster, then I suggest you start voting for Hades! y'know, a REAL villian( or you can vote for Sora, always an option, plus he'd be really fun to play as, just sayin').

Nomination:
New Mii fighter class x5

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
King K. Rool:

Chance: 50%
Want: 99%

One of my most wanted characters, but after that costume, I don't know what to think. It doesn't disconfirm him, but I do think that his chances are lower.

Nominations:
Paper Mario Theatre Stage x3
Saffron City(N64) x2

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I want to share this again since I feel people have ignored it:

King K. Rool being a Mii costume as Sakurai's early response is a very plausible situation. Mii costumes are very easy to make and require little development resources to create, as they can be used to easily respond to fan requests early before the ballot if they don't find the character worth re-creating a full character out of.

And I also want to point out, the costume being a combination of various K. Rool designs is not a point to his inclusion, let's bring up the emphasis Sakurai has made on how he hates making low quality DLC:

These days, the “DLC scam” has become quite the epidemic, charging customers extra money to complete what was essentially an unfinished product. I completely understand how aggravated players must feel. After all, a game should be 100% done at the time of release, and I would be livid if it were split up and sold in pieces.

Why, then, do you think so many titles provide premium DLC on or shortly following a game’s release? It’s because that’s the easiest way to make money.

After all, if you wait too long after a game’s release to distribute additional content, players will already move on to the next title. Even long tail titles–that is, ones that perform consistently well over an extended period of time–make more money the earlier they come out.

The same goes for Sm4sh. We could have easily reserved a few characters on the current roster and later sold them as premium DLC. A considerable amount of work went into development, and the game would have already featured a ton of content. Plus, if you were looking to make a profit, DLC would be the way to go. Development is more costly than ever, yet the price of games has remained the same, so more income would help offset that imbalance.

However, the DLC we are releasing for Sm4sh is authentic, developed only after we finished working on the main game. Of course, said content will come to you at a premium as compensation for the work put into developing additional content post-production.
It's no surprise that the development team would put a lot of effort into a costume to give fans the DLC costume to its utmost high quality. He stated before that he hates low quality DLC and he wants to give fans the best product possible. With that quality in mind, I hardly find it a favor towards his inclusion, it's more of an extra polish to the fans if you asked me.

The opposition arguments are largely just desperate conjecture used to write off another character "taking their favorite's spot,"
Why call it desperate? It is entirely ok to be pessimistic of his chances because of this costume. Unless you meant relevance, which at this point is only 1/5 of K. Rool's problems now.

If he was truly a consolation prize he'd be paired with Isaac, Bandana Dee and Krystal, NOT Chrom, Flying Man and Winnie the Pooh.
These are just the start of the Mii costumes line-up though, I find it entirely plausible that next wave of Mii costumes could be based on popularly requested Nintendo characters, so I wouldn't write off the possibility that it could be a consolation prize. Sure there's the pre-planned Mii costumes, but I think that's a different situation of itself planned way before King K. Rool was going to be a costume.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Why call it desperate? It is entirely ok to be pessimistic of his chances because of this costume. Unless you meant relevance, which at this point is only 1/5 of K. Rool's problems now.
If you read my post, it's the desperate conjecture I'm condemning, not pessimistic people. "K. Rool fans are writing big posts" because they've thought long and hard about the costume and want to carefully consider each angle. The others? Mostly "I don't think he's getting in because the costume might mean one specific thing."

Now, speaking from a mod standpoint, before it happens this time, I want you to do less badgering of people with higher scores you disagree with. You constantly say "you want people to explain reasons," noticeably only when there are a lot of people who have a different opinion from yours, but then aren't content with them and spend multiple pages going back and forth (see: Young Link's day). Don't let that happen today...it's been peaceful so far.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Guess I'll throw my vote in.

King K. Rool

Despite the Mii costume, the possibility of him being included are pretty decent. He's on the same boat as Isaac (Seriously! Why isn't HE in Sm4sh yet!), Inklings, and a couple of others: They've got the popularity, the moveset potential (Sakurai gave WFT and Duck Hunt of all things movesets for Pete's sake!), and the history with Nintendo.Personally I don't think recency and relevancy are an issue (Shiek would have been gone a long time ago) so we shouldn't worry about that, but there are other factors (as minute as they seem) to why K. Rool won't be included which is why I don't want to put him as high.

Want: Also 75%

I don't care for the King nearly as much as others do, but the he has been wanted for years and the current roster needs more villains. I guess most of us forgot that not only is Smash Bros. a fighting party game, but also a culmination of Nintendo's HISTORY all put together into one game and not having the King (and some others) included could be considered almost criminal by this point.

Nominations:

Saffron City (N64) x5

Top Bottom