• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

More extra nominations, yay! I wonder how many times I've won them? Anyway, I'm giving 5 extra nominations to Kamek.

EDIT: Checked it, I've won extra nominations 11 times.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Cranky
Chance: 5%
Want: 35%

Another Xenoblade character
Double zeroes

Mini Kangaroo Prediction: .45%
Krystal Prediction: 29.78%

Nominations:
Omanyte x10

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You know what they say, when the tough get tough, the going get going.

...Wait, that isn't right...

--

Concept: Second Character from Xenoblade Chronicles

Chance: 10%
There're bits and pieces of fringe support for the rest of Shulk's companions. Reyn, Dunban, Melia, a certain character whose very identity is a spoiler. Support bases do exist for them, but they aren't making much headway...and odds are, even though the Smash Ballot is most likely not a straight up contest for votes, the dev team will favor the more popular or prominent characters.

Combine that with no reason to believe they looked at other Xenoblade characters beforehand, and even between all of them, it doesn't seem very likely.

Despite that, I'd be okay with another one of them if it happened. How interested I'd be would depend on the character, so I guess this is more of an average.

Cranky Kong

Chance: 5%
I wonder what Cranky thinks about the DK series' upswing as of late? I imagine he'd have a few choice words for some of the new directions it's gone in. Maybe he'd want to jump into the ring himself to show those young whippersnappers how it's done?

Too bad not many seem to agree with him. Cranky barely seems to have any support at all, not nearly enough to measure up to most other characters, not even enough to compare to K. Rool or Dixie from his own series! Not that either of them would directly rule him out, but as far as benchmarks go, he's far behind them and equally far behind too many others to get a chance unless something unusual happens.

I guess you could say he can't keep up with the times?

Want: 25%
I actually have to question his moveset potential. It seems like they might have to bend over backwards to come up with an entire list of attacks for him that'd feel inspired enough for Smash. Compared to so many of the other candidates, he just doesn't interest me much.

Mini-Kangaroo Prediction: 1.25%

An old mascot from Nintendo's distant past? Will anyone show enough interest in this one to keep it out of the ratings cellar?

Krystal Rerate Prediction: 30.25%
Her first rating didn't really do her justice. There was a lot of crossfire, a lot of low ratings from people mistakenly afraid she was directly competing with a character they personally liked more. I figure there'll be a lot of debate tonight as well...but things have shifted enough to where she'll be treated at least a little more fairly.

Nominations: Golden Sun Stage x5

Troykv

Smash Master
Cranky Kong (The Best Kong)

Sorry Cranky, unlike Fire Emblem the DK support is so focused in K. Rool, and some minor groups that wants Dixie Kong.... But still is very possible, he is the "original DK" and appears in many games, etc.

Want: 60%

I would feel wrong to have him over K. Rool... But I prefer him above Dixie.

Original Xenoblade Character:

I'm don't really sure if someone is actually supporting a XC character that isn't from XCX... But I don't think that this is impossible... So... I have a little question... The playable characters can be considered "Main Characters" or only Shulk? some people could call me "hypocrite" if I put them a lower chance.

Want: 50%

I don't know this series very well.

Predicitons time!:

Krystal: 26% (Some bad news, some good news, I expect a similar chance rate).
Mini Kangaroo: 0.6% (This is a WEIRD nomination).

Nominations:

Fire Emblem Stage DLC x2
Ballot Runner Up for Smash 5 x1
None of the Top 3 Wanted x1
Rerate! Shovel Knight x1

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Cranky

Want: 60%
Sure I'll take him over Dixie, but not Krool.

Original Xenoblade character

Chance: 0%

Want: 40%

Not too crazy about another one,but they are pretty cool.

Predictions: Krystal 22%

Predictions: Mini Kangaroo 0.6%

Nominations: Olaf X5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IM GONNA BE A STAR (not really)

Cranky Kong:
Chance:7.23%

Cranky's chances are affected by King K.Rool (assuming he's still on the running) and Dixie Kong, And even if we exclude them, he still has to dealt with Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Wolf, Snake and the Inklings. There's so many competition from the Ballot and i don't think his playable debut in Tropical Freeze will make his chances any higher.

Want:40%

Cranky has some charm that makes me want him playable.

----------------------

Abstaining on the Xenoblade character concept.
----------------------
Predictions:
Krystal: 39.94%
I sense long debates and flamewars.

Mini Kangaroo:0.07
Really?

----------------------
Noms:
BRASH THE FRIGGIN' BEAR X5

Last edited by a moderator:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Cranky Kong's chances: 1%

Has some demand, but if a Donkey Kong character not named Dixie or K. Rool got in, I'd be shocked.

Want: 0%

Despite being a fan of the character, I actually dislike the idea of him being a fighter. I've never really found him as playable material, I wasn't even that impressed by his appearance in Tropical Freeze. I also don't think he has the potential to be as interesting of a fighter as other characters, including two in his own series that I happen to prefer as characters and find to be more deserving anyway. To be honest I think he would be better as an assist.

Original Xenoblade character's chances: 0.5%

If any further Xenoblade characters get in, they will be from X, not the original.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a great game but I feel Shulk represents it just fine by himself, and that if the series gets any further representation, it should be from X or another future game.

Krystal prediction: 40.17%
Mini Kangaroo prediction: 0.38%

Nominations: Muddy Mole x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Cranky
Chance: 1% - Including Cranky makes almost no sense to me. Not only is his fanbase extremely small but he's in the same series as the far more popular Dixie and King K. Rool.

Original Xenoblade rep
Chance: 0% - XCX exists now.
Want: 50% - Depends on who.

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

EliteXit

Smash Cadet
A little late.

Cranky Kong

Chance: Abstain

Xenoblade character

Chance: Abstain
Want: Abstain

Krystal Prediction: 27%

I feel like this character will be unfairly judged because of those who only think Wolf. As if it would be impossible for Sakurai to add two characters from the same series. That didn't stop Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Lucina, Robin, Palutena, and Dark Pit.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Warning, this post contains a massive wall of text dedicated to nostalgia! Viewer's Discretion Advised!

Nintendo, The Age of Toy's and other Fun Products

Nintendo was a company that thrived to capture the hearts of children and aiming for a family audience with their product, even back in the day. Many may be familiar with things like the Ultra Hand or Hanafuda Cards due to latter references to them in video games or simply brushing up on their knowledge of history. But what about Nintendo's earlier products you say? Well, they were a weird bunch who created a variety of things that can range from simple toys to build 'em up blocks. Several may know of things like the Chitori Vaccuum or the Ultra Machine because again, video game cameos. But there are a bigger variety of products that existed during the 60's and 70's.

Did You Know Gaming! touched upon the fact that Duck Hunt originally used to be a light gun game that functioned as the toy compatible with a well as opposed to the NES classic that everyone knows and love. Other gun related games existed much earlier, though they were on a more simplistic scale like making the top halves of plastic bottles blow up or even hitting on rails plastic animals. The more simplistic toys that you can see in your early Dollar Store gives you an idea of how Nintendo's other products have worked. For example, there's a marble game where you would have to tilt the maze with your hand in order for the marble to reach the end or there were mini sports games like Dynamic Soccer. And as previously mentioned, there were also games that were based on building like the Legos most people would recognize or similar Kinex products. Then last but not least, the Rabbit Coasters were made which were white long slides with multiple ramps for a series of colorful beads to roll down.

Super Smash Bros and Hardware Reps

As many of you should know or have noticed, there had been a trend of newcomers that were based on a piece of hardware of some sort. In Melee we had Mr. Game & Watch, a character based on the black sprites found on the LCD screens of Gunpei Yokoi's charming creations. R.O.B. would appear as the token hardware rep in Brawl, being based on the Robotic Operating Buddy toy that would play a huge role in promoting the Nintendo Entertainment System in the West. And lastly, we had the character Duck Hunt that embodies the many Light Gun titles that worked with the NES Zapper (Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, and Wild Gunmen). But now the question remains, what character would be appropriate as the token hardware rep in a future Smash title? This is where the part of investigating the possible choices would come into play.

Diskun: A character who is known for being that notoriously hard trophy to unlock in Melee. But he is more along the lines of an official "mascot" that you would see on the cover of certain Famicom Disk Drive titles in the past. While many would propose the idea of a Famicom summoner style or disk drive gimmick, this is one of the more difficult characters to make work as a fighter.

Hanafuda Representation: While this was already covered in a previous day, many would say that the characters on the cards themselves should be playable. Some can argue that Nintendouji could easily work as the Hanafuda rep or that it will be impossible to make a character representing cards to work.

Virtual Boy representation: Oh boy, this one will be quite the doozy. While the idea of historical console being made into a fighter can be appealing, many fans easily consider the Virtual Boy the worst thing that ever happened to Nintendo. May it be the poor sales or the eye burning visuals in question, it would be a bit of a risky move for Sakurai to make the console itself (or a character form a VB title) into a fighter.

And last but not least, there is none other than Mini Kangaroo, which will be covered in the next section.

Mini Kangaroo

As you can see from the redesign in this post (image curtesy of @Gene), it is a yellow kangaroo that you would normally see on the Nintendo Mini Game Series that launched in the late 70's with a small joey in her pouch and strange symbols on her belly. Many would think of this titular marsupial when looking at these games since it is a mascot that advertises them. Many of you may be familiar with the name of the character through a fake leak that was released after E3 2014. The real question that many would have is who the hell this kangaroo is and how she can work. Then allow me to explain.

Many fan ideas involving the character range from using a variety of old toys in her moveset (given that she does advertise Nintendo's toys after all) that include things like the Beehive Game, Hopping Game, Gear Game, and many other products of the Mini Game Series. She would also use other other products in this moveset like the Ultra Hand, Ultra Machine, the gun games, mini sports games, Challenge Dice, the Electric Konga, or even the Rabbit Coaster series (possible Final Smash). Other ideas would include her fighting like a typical boxing kangaroo akin to Roger Jr. (which is where a redesign can easily benefit the most) and her joey helping with the combat from her very pouch.

But as usual, every character has their faults. For starters, people would say that a character should never be in Smash since she wasn't involved with video games or base on a real life product. That didn't stop us from having the likes of a Super Scope as a weapon or the aforementioned R.O.B. as both enemies and a character. So she is partially eligible since the character was a part of Nintendo's history dating back to when video game hardware never existed and it's not like she's no less than Diskun (who would be mentioned in Melee as a trophy). Another thing that's a downfall is that the character doesn't have the right amount of requests to be playable. Let's rewind back to when the very first Smash Ballot for Melee was a thing. One person suggested the idea of a Game & Watch character being a fighter and guess what happened? Another situation would be for everyone's favorite mutt that we love to hate. He had a Facebook page dedicated to his inclusion in Smash that had up to 1,000,000 likes before the day it was closed and let's not forget that our friendly neighborhood Arcadenik had some influence in his requests. So whether or not the character isn;t worth being in Smash is completely subjective and Sakurai might look at some old products to think of that next "hardware rep". And let's get these ratings out of the way.

A hardware rep would be a poor choice for DLC and they would work better as being part of the vanilla roster. That, plus only 4 people so far would give her the support she needs.

Want: Over 9000! 100% :smirk:

It's a cute yellow kangaroo with a joey in her pouch that can fight with Nintendo's oldest toys in existence. Nothing can get any better than this and it's why I think it's the perfect idea as our token hardware rep in Smash 5/6. Hanafudas are broken while Virtual Boys are icky, this kangaroo however wins the award for the cutest thing Nintendo ever sponsored. Anyone who disagree, I would like to hear your personal idea of a hardware rep for the next game broskis. :troll:

Part two of my ratings with Nominations will be in the next post. My damn fingers feel like they are about to fall off. :urg:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
CRANKY
CHANCE: 9.20%
WANT: 36.77%

ORIGINAL XENOBLADE REP
CHANCE: 2.72%
WANT: 34.73%
Next up we're rerating Krystal (Please try to keep it civil, rerating popular characters tends to get controversial), also we're rating the Mini Kangaroo Logo (if this one also starts an argument, we may have to end this thread now). Also please predict what score Jirachi and the concept of an Offline Tournament mode will get tomorrow.

@ EliteXit EliteXit I counted your rating.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
(Please try to keep it civil, rerating popular characters tends to get controversial)
Krystal clear, so-*gets shot*

Anyway...

Chance: 40%

A popular character that's fallen somewhat out of relevance in the Star Fox universe and is a no-show for SFZ. And then there's the matter of some...heated debate abou-CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT KRYSTAL

Like Wolf, I really don't care about this one. Shows up? Great. No-show? I won't mind.

Mini Kangaroo

Chance/Want: 00

Literally what. No words. It's like when we rated a Tetromino of all things, except this is only slightly more questionable.

Predictions:

Jirachi: 1%
Offline Tournament Mode: 25%

Nominate: Frigate Orpheon x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh Boy......

Krystal:
Chance and Want:Abstain

Yes, you read that right, im abstaining from giving her a chance score because i don't feel that i can give a fair rating to Krystal.
As for the want score, that is because i haven't played the games she has appeared in. (i've only played SF1 and SF64).

-------------------------
Mini Kangaroo:
Chance and Want: Gonzalo Zero Barrios.

Do i even have to explain this one?

-------------------------
Noms:
Brash X5

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Krystal

Chance: 40%

A popular Star Fox female lead that had fallen in popularity over the years, but her support still remains strong on the Smash side of things. But her chances bit experience a slight drop due to her lack of an appearance in Star Fox Zero. Though it's not anything too bad since she still stomps the ballot and is less of a controversial character unlike a certain slimy amphibian who's getting a bigger role.

She's cool, but she sure as hell ain't the Slippy I know and love. Plus, her being blue isn't enough to make me like her as a character.

Predictions:

Jirachi: 1%
Offline Tournament Mode: 25%

Nominate: Brash the Freaking Bear x5 (I'm totally doing you a favor @BKupa666).

D

Deleted member

Abstaining from Krystal. Sorry.

Mini-Kangaroo

Chance and Want:

(Double Zeroes)

Nope. Maybe for Smash 5, but not for Smash 4 DLC.

Predictions:

Jirachi - 2%

Offline Tournament Mode - 5%

Nomination: Brash the Friggin' Bear x5

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Krystal
Chance: 35%
Divisive character sure, but still one of the more popular ones out there right now. With Star Fox Zero coming out soon (while I haven't seen her presence yet), it should only increase her chances. She also has a lot to offer, seeing that she has a staff, and telekinetic powers; she can very well be one of the more original characters in the game.

Want: 100%
Want

Mini Kangaroo:
Chance: 1%(with a huge opportunity to increase)
For many of you, this may be the first time you've heard of this character. I was in a very similar situation not too long ago. To give a brief summary, Mini Kangaroo was Nintendo's short-lived toy mascot before they got into video games. Mini Kangaroo doesn't really have a chance right now, because she's as obscure as characters get at the moment, but with a little bit more support this is one of those characters that Sakurai loves to latch onto. She's the perfect retro representative seeing that Sakurai's pretty much covered all the video game eras. Repping a character before games seems like something he'd do.

A character like this has a lot of potential. She could just do random kangaroo stuff (which honestly would be good enough for me), she could be a Rosa-luma like puppeteering character, or she can have most of her move set filled with toys and trinkets (like the Ultra Hand) from Nintendo's past. There's no limit to what she could do.

She represents Nintendo BEFORE they became the company we know and love, better than anyone else. Seeing that Smash has always been a good place to learn about Nintendo's history, why not want to have a character like that? Besides, who else is supposed to fill that hole? Napoleon? Pssh

Last edited:

Flavius

:^)
NNID
TheEdgyOne
Krystal

Oh boy... this is gonna get ugly fast but...

Chance: 60%

Most people probably are going to take this score and say "what, 60?!, biased Krystal fan alert" but here me out. Sure she's not appearing in Zero and Wolf is most definitely the more possible Starfox character at this point. However, who's to say that getting both Wolf and Krystal is not a possibility. Wolf is fairly easy and won't take that much time because his data can be ported over from Brawl. The way I see it, getting Krystal and Wolf is almost the same as getting Robin and Lucina a year ago. A brand new unique character who's completely different from any other character from her series with a special extra character that everyone seems to enjoy. Not to mention her huge, loyal following in both Japan and the West. Her supposed consideration in Brawl and finally, Namco helping with the game, giving Sakurai a reference point for her. This is why I scored Krystal high in terms of chances. There's so much going for her at this point.

Of course I want her, why would I defend a character this much if I didn't want her. Sorry if I seem hostile with this character but she is the one of been wanting the most for a very long time.

Alright this next one should be a lot easier.

Mini-Kangaroo

Abstain. I don't know this character well at all.

Nominations

Rerate Isaac 5x

With the new smashified, I feel this is a good time to rerate this character.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Kyrstal
Chance 10%
Want 30%
Cool, but isn't Wolf.

Mini Kangaroo
Chance 0%
ha ha ha
Want 100%
As an Australian, I feel it is my patriotic duty to give this a high want score

Predictions
Off-line tourney 14%
Jirachi 1.1%

Nominate R.O.B. eye bug fix x5
EDIT: Ooo, I win again, x10

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
KRYSTAL
Chance: 40% - The article with what all Sakurai said about Krystal, despite being a little bit after Brawl, is still helpful for Krystal's chances. Sakurai acknowledged her, and said that she didn't make it in because of how much time it would've taken, despite how many fans asked for her. However, with DLC, there really isn't a time constraint, as they can just work on them behind the scenes and release them when they're ready. Granted, she's competing with Wolf, but I have my own view on that. I think that there will be 10 total DLC characters, as 10 would completely even out the Character Selection Screen on both 3DS and Wii U. We already have DLC Character Bundle #1 with the first four DLC characters, all consisting of pre-ballot characters. Obviously, if we're getting a pack labeled with #1, we'll be getting a bundle labeled with a nice little #2. I think the second bundle will have our four ballot winners. Now, we still need two more fighters to make those CSS's even. So I'd love to see a Star Fox DLC Bundle with Wolf, Krystal, Lylat Cruise for 3DS, and Corneria for Wii U. It's a long-shot paired with wishful thinking, but it's still possible.

Want: 100% - A lot of people hate on Krystal, and for several reasons. One being that they want Wolf in instead. Fair enough, as I certainly would prefer that we got Wolf back if we could only get ONE Star Fox DLC character, but taking what I said in my Chance score explanation, maybe we can get both in a Star Fox DLC Bundle. As for why I want her as a character, I've always been a huge Star Fox fan. And no, I'm not a furry. Krystal would make for a very unique character with tons of potential. She fits one of the few fighter types that we're lacking in Smash Brothers: A Staff Fighter. She'd be unique, and she'd be awesome!

MINI KANGAaa..
Lol, what? We're rating a freaking Kangaroo logo now? What even?

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Krystal
Percentage chance: Do I dare say about 50%?
Despite the minor opposition, she's been requested as a new Star Fox rep since Brawl, and with the recent (yet old) interview, I think the chances may of increased. I only base this solely on that the company that's assisting Sora Ltd are the same company that made Assault, and because Smash especially on the WiiU has been giving Assault more love, it wouldnt come to a surprise if they did what Sakurai and his team couldnt give the time to do. I almost guarantee Wolf will return after the three vets we've gotten back, so i'm really looking at her.

I do have my other characters, but i'd use her the most if she is what many hope to see her to be. Even if she wasnt I still would if she was superior to Fox.

Mini Kangaroo
Percentage: 0%
To be honest, I have no idea who this is, but from what i'm reading it sounds like an ancient character that was around before Nintendo got into the video game business.

Again I dont know who this is, nor does it interest me

I hope i'm doing this right...

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
I'll do Krystal, predictions, and nominations tomorrow.

Mini Kangaroo's chances: 0%

Including an ancient, obscure, rarely requested character from before Nintendo even began making video games in the main roster would be a risk. Including it as optional content would be a mistake.

This idea actually quite intrigues me. I've been secretly wanting representation for some of Nintendo's pre-game stuff in Smash for a while now, and this might actually be a pretty cool way to do it. I'm not completely sold on it yet, and again, not really that good of an idea for DLC, but I am interested.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Krystal:
Chances: 10%
Wolf is much more popular than her and she doesn't even appear in Star Fox Zero.
And no, that article is not relevant at all.

-Nominations:
Rerate Inkling X5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Copy Pasting, woo! Nothing's changed.

Krystal

Chance - 37.5% - At this point I'm fairly certain Wolf is locked in, but will Star Fox get another? Sakurai could say that he's done with Star Fox after Wolf, and due to being so divisive of a character she might be heavily reconsidered. Depending on if she's in the next game or not, this could be her last stand.

Want - 40% - Eh. Never played a Star Fox game. Looking at her move set-wise I don't find her all that interesting. I would truly and unironically would prefer Slippy Toad over her... you may now hang me.

Mini Kangaroo

Chance - 0% - Shouldn't DLC characters, be, y'know, popular or at least well known, to some degree? Had Nintendo even acknowledged her existence at all recently?

Want - 0% - Honestly, anything this could do would be better off as items, I would think.

Predictions

Off-line Tourney mode - 1.24% - Go, predicting?

Jurachi - 1.23% - More random Pokemon are out their, but it's a far fetched wish.

Nominations

Fossil Fighters T-Rex X5

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Krystal

Chance: 20%

Doesn't seem like she's that important anymore seeing as how she not gonna appear in the newest Star Fox (and yes I know it's a reboot so of course she won't) it's also because of this that Wolf honestly has the edge on her greatly, being both a veteran and appearing in Zero.

I'm indifferent to the idea of another Star Fox Rep who is not Wolf, Krystal would offer more verity and uniqueness with her staff so I'd rather her than Wolf. Either way I couldn't careless if she got in or not.

Mini Kangaroo

What even is this? Abstain.

Predictions

Off-line tourney: 25%

Jirachi: 5%

Nominations

NiGHTS x5

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Funny, because my girlfriend likes it for the same reason. She's the one who even sold me on the idea of the character to begin with. :laugh:
Makes me wonder if there are any eagle characters that I should be demanding in right now....

Zilexion

Smash Cadet
Mini-Kangaroo:
Chance - 0%

Want - 0%
Well, thanks to Azure Warrior's post I know who/what this is... and honestly, mini-kangaroo doesn't sound that bad as a possible concept for Smash 5, but that's not what this is about in the slightest, when it comes to Sm4sh dlc, no, just no.

Krystal:
Chance
- 15%
Want - 10%
Abstaining from commenting on this, don't want to get dragged into any of the drama that may or may not unfold here.

Predictions:
Jirachi - 3%
Offline Tournament mode - 30%

Nominations:
Validar (FE:A) x 3
Neku Sakuraba (TWEWY) x 2

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Now with color!

Krystal

Chance: 45%
I'm going to condense this rate into two of the most important factors for any DLC consideration. Popularity and great potential as a unique newcomer. Krystal has both. Her knock is not appearing in Zero, which is supposed to be a retelling of Star Fox 64. I feel her fan following is underestimated in some ways by many. It's a silent base, but an assuredly giant one. In the years I've been following this character, her popularity has remained strong, and if it's diminished in some way, I haven't noticed it. I guess we'll all find out soon enough who was dead wrong in a couple of months. Maybe that Zero appearance is all important and maybe it isn't. We have more than a few heavily favored candidates who haven't appeared in a mainline game themselves for quite a while. Regardless, exposure at this time is a big factor that's not to be cavalierly dismissed, which is why I've readjusted my original rating.

Krystal is my undisputed number one and I would die if she made the roster.

Mini Kangaroo

I don't think a character like this is a possibility right now for DLC.

Want: 45%
Azure Warrior's novel warmed me to the idea.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Krystal chances: 13%
The next-in-line character for a Star Fox newcomer according to the general fan demand, but she's a pretty divisive character and I don't really see her prioritized, especially for DLC.

Krystal want: 35%
I'm unfamiliar with this character and I don't really know what to think about her, but I'm not hugely interested.

-----

Mini-Kangaroo chances: 0%
I'm not even going to bother considering this a possibility even an extremely unlikely one, but Mini-Kangaroo is pretty obscure at this point and isn't even related to video games. You may argue that R.O.B. disproves this point, but at least he's related to video games, heck he can be considered as a video game character since he's a character you're controlling while playing a video game, except that he physically exists in real life. Not to mention Smash currently has no representation of Nintendo's history before the video game era, and if there was, I'd expect something much less intrusive than a playable character, such as an item like the Ultra Hand.

Mini-Kangaroo want: 0%
Nope.

-----

Offline tourney prediction: 5.78%
Jirachi prediction: 2.56%

Nominating:
Concept: none of the top 3 wanted newcomers x5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Alright...let's do this. First things first...

Mini Kangaroo

Chance: 0.25%
So this thing was one of Nintendo's mascots in the '70s back before they got into video games, huh? I guess it's a part of the company's history in that regard. Thing is...how much does that mean for Smash, a game focused on Nintendo's franchises and its history within video games in particular, and especially when we're talking optional content that seems mainly targeted toward the fans? How well would a character that's become so obscure now and wasn't involved with video games the way R.O.B. was fit into the realm of Smash? What moveset potential would there be that wouldn't involve large creative reaches?

These are all valid questions...and I don't know if any of the answers work in the Mini Kangaroo's favor.

But beyond that, I have no strong feelings for it one way or the other.

And now, for the main event. Before things get controversial, let me see if I can settle some arguments.

-- (SPOILER WARNING: Fire Emblem Fates music)

Rerate: Krystal

Chance: 55% -> 55%
Seems like Krystal can't get brought up anywhere without controversy following. Her first appearance was a radical departure for the series (even though it was designed to be a gaiden game all along), and the two Star Fox games that came out afterward are considered kind of...lacking. Some of the fanbase associates her with the series' dip in quality, some dislike how undue of a focus she has in Star Fox Command, while others outside the fanbase loathe her for a different fandom she's associated with, ironically ignoring how nearly every other character in the series also falls under them. Merely mentioning her in some places is enough to incur the commenters' wrath.
Krystal has always been a character with an unfair reputation. Kind of a blue black sheep in her home series, she still fits into the setting in her own way while having more aspects to her character than pretty much anyone else there. It's never been fully realized due to how the Star Fox games we've had so far haven't done much in the realm of character development, and especially since Command wasn't very well written (and based on our first impressions, Zero isn't either...), but that isn't a strike against a very interesting character. In fact, we now know thanks to Source Gaming that Krystal at least got a look back during Brawl's development, and the main reason Wolf was chosen over her was because they were pressed for time and they decided he was easier to implement!

...And I've seen a lot of people assume Wolf would preclude her chances here, as well. There's this prevailing thought that we'll only get one DLC character per game series, and even though some--myself included--have serious doubts, it still gets treated as unquestionably true far too often. We don't know for sure, but if there's anything we can tell about Sakurai's design philosophy from previous Smash games and even from Smash 4's base roster, it's that he has no problem bringing in two or more characters from the same series. Despite any "roster spot" concerns, despite any fears that Krystal would ruin the chances of fan favorite Wolf, past experience tells us there's a very realistic possibility they'll both make it.

Say it with me: Krystal and Wolf can both be DLC. Having one get in would not automatically rule out the other.

So where does that put Krystal herself? The telepathic warrior amidst a sci-fi setting who seems to be absent from its newest game? That's another thing I've seen brought up a lot, how Star Fox Zero is yet another retelling of the events of 64. I've seen some argue that this rules out Krystal's chances. Thing is, Nintendo went out of their way to say Zero is not a retcon of the series--kind of like how the Metroid Prime trilogy doesn't retcon out the events of Super Metroid, they just take place before it. All this does is leave Krystal absent from her series' most recent game...and if the Smash Ballot is any indication, lack of relevance no longer matters if the fans can prove they still care about the character.

Isn't that right, K. Rool and Isaac fans? Wait a minute, I'm one of them!

And that's another key point here: Krystal's support base is starting to make their presence known. Fans that generally were quiet out of fear of being harassed in places online aren't quiet any longer. Has anyone seen how much more often she's been ranking high in the admittedly fewer straw polls that have happened lately? How about the few she literally ran away with because someone rallied her supporters? Or the sheer amount of support art on Miiverse, to the point where I bet there's about a 50-50 chance that anyone who's played on the Miiverse stage occasionally, regardless of the characters involved, has seen Krystal support art that ties into the characters? If there's one thing the so-often-maligned furries that comprise a part of her support base have among their ranks, it's legitimately talented artists.

Not only is Krystal's support base large and beginning to make noise, it's also consistently large! Whereas someone like Shantae falters from being relatively unknown in Japan, whereas someone like Pichu has the brunt of its support from the Japanese and is more polarizing everywhere else, Krystal is highly supported worldwide!

So if the support base is there, what would encourage Sakurai and his team to give Krystal a chance? Believe it or not, that's another one of Krystal's strong points! Most discussion about her possible moveset revolves around her battlestaff, used by Fox in Star Fox Adventures but rightfully hers--she even teaches him the basics of using it through astral projection--and how we have no one who currently wields a staff (the closest is Palutena with her scepter, but the way she uses it is completely different). That staff and the powers it's capable of--concentrated shots of flame, freezing mist, seismic shockwaves, energy shields, rocket-like propulsion--lend toward a moveset and playstyle all its own that also practically writes itself just as Sakurai said Robin's moveset did! Said moveset also happens to be one of the first things brought up when a Krystal supporter mentions her, as they'll regularly say how her uniqueness is one of the biggest reasons she would be such a worthy addition. It says an awful lot that a popular character's biggest arguments for inclusion also happen to be the very things Sakurai has said his team looks for.

Or what else? The fact that Krystal could be unique even without her staff, using the various futuristic weapons from Star Fox Assault and elsewhere in the series? Or the fact that a moveset that uses both the staff and the aforementioned futuristic weapons could give her a blend of magic and technology that literally no other character in Smash or in the running for DLC can bring? Or the fact that it wouldn't even be a problem that these were derived from older games, since Ryu's moveset and sound effects came primarily from Street Fighter II? Or the fact that we now know Sakurai was aware of this years ago since she was namedropped in regards to Brawl?

Despite all the controversy, despite all the bad blood, despite all the unnecessary crossfire that surrounds her so often, this is a character with a now not-so-deceptively high amount of support and with all the qualities that would make her a breath of fresh air amidst an increasingly crowded roster. For all intents and purposes, Krystal is a frontrunner for DLC...and likely a Top 5 candidate.

Want: 100% -> 100%
I've written two long essays now about this character. I've been all in for a while. Out of the characters with plausible chances, Krystal has me more interested than any other...and I hope I've done my part to explain why.
Even with whatever doubts or concerns you may have, if Krystal gets in, she'll be worth it.

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Next up we're rerating Krystal (Please try to keep it civil, rerating popular characters tends to get controversial), also we're rating the Mini Kangaroo Logo
I feel like being pinged, don't ask me why

Krystal:
Gonna be that guy, sorry. :T

Before I do anything much, allow me to do this again:

Want -10%*1.5 = -15%​
(I know this will just either not count or be counted as 0, but eh)
Yes, I always have a big problem with the fanbase of Krystal. While I do not like the character to start with, the outside description of Krystal recently just makes me cringe so hard.
Years before this ballot happened, from every popular site/people I know, Adventures is not a good game, (a mediocre Zelda game, I'll add), and Krystal is not exactly a liked character either.

But now, starting on April First of 2015, Krystal's popularity raised up randomly. Everyone is like "I haven't played a Star Fox game so I support Krystal", "Krystal is better than Wolf because staff", "Krystal won't be a clone like Wolf", etc etc etc. Krystal seems like a very severe bandwagon for me. 99.99% of them even went out to bash Wolf, calling him a full clone, JUST for the sake of supporting the character. This is where I started to hate the character.

Then I got here.

Well, to be fair I didn't like most of the popular choices to begin with, especially those indie 3rd parties who got a random popularity from the ballot and stuff. But when I reached here, my opinion went back neutral for most. Being bored one day and I walked in the Krystal thread (and later K Rool thread too for no apparent reason), and just to see how Krystal is portrayed here.

So apparently now:
  • People are being like Krystal saved the world of Star Fox or something
  • People automatically assume Krystal haters are gay furries, and even further admitting to the point when I tried to justify
  • People would favor obtrusive activities on DLC support, as far as telling others who don't want to see it just to go away, as if Miiverse is theirs.
Also that Star Fox Zero case. Up to now I still hear them cry about that ruining the franchise, while out of all related boards in here (Fox Social, Falco Social, Slippy Support, Wolf Support, RTC) are generally positive about the case. Those who hated post-64 and those who didn't like those who hated post-64 are obviously two kind of people, now that I learned.

When someone really counters their point, they will just walk away and say "luckily there's no vote against someone", just purely ignoring those points.

end of rant here

So up to here, I already see many people... I mean Krystal fans here. Rating them a chance of 50%, is this really needed?

Right, I will mostly be biased again on this case, but I'll try against it.

Judging By Data
So since I'm fully biased on this point, yet I just can't see people get away with rating Krystal arbitrarily high score with the same reason: "Relatively high support and Star Fox Zero". It really feels like the fact that Krystal is not in Star Fox Zero is downright ignored. I need to do some rating at least, maybe by data.

The first point all of you make is "Why can't she come with Wolf?" So I just multiply the two ideas: Wolf's Chance and the possiblity of 2 rep per franchise.

24.27% * 79.60% = 19.32%

And this is not the end yet. Sure Krystal seems like a perfect secondary choice of the Star Fox franchise, there ARE other choices on this. Assuming Slippy (5.73%) is a possible candidate, that in the 24% of 2rep concept, 5.73%/(5.73%+25.01%) of them will be Slippy instead of Krystal (assume there won't be a third choice).

24.27% * 79.60%*(1-5.73%/(5.73%+25.01%))=15.72%

Alright you might be asking two questions:
  1. But Slippy has no Chance in hell!
  2. Why are you using Krystal's old chance?
So maybe I'm doing this is a wrong approach?

Assuming the 25.01% and 15.72% has to be the same value, then algebra:

That means the chance is now 0% 13.59% and 0.03732 is not 0.

Now regarding to Slippy's case, the default answer is: You've guessed it, the upcoming game. While you all Krystal fans are like "This will be the best chance for Krystal", be reminded Krystal is not in it and using her to promote the game doesn't make much sense. With that said, the game as no effect on Krystal. (Now for you guys who yell hypocrisy, I did use the same analogy on K Rool.) But what's negative for her is the side effect. Slippy "gets a important role" in the game this time, and that really makes his chance a bit more realistic. Disregard Slippy, let's look on what else to evaluate on:

Star Fox Character Revealed around the Time of Star Fox Zero Release...​

This is arguably the most likely timing for Wolf to come out now, but that doesn't really have anything to do with Krystal. But let's assume Krystal comes after Wolf.

Star Fox Zero released around Holiday 2015, but around that time ballot will have been ended for a month(?) already, so there's assumed at least some activities in between.

If Krystal has to go after Wolf, then that means there might be just 7(+) DLC, which in this thread, the chance is 74.78%. That means the possibilities (previous score minus the chance of this not happening) is
13.59%-13.59%*44.41%*(1-74.78%)=12.07%

If Krystal goes before Wolf, it would be a disaster .... nothing really would happen. Moving on.

This brings on a good question though: What are the chances that Krystal happens without Wolf? Last time I fiddled with the data, it is ~2%. However, we can't use that value anymore, since we're finding a new value.

Most of the comments here so far, who rates Krystal above 30, have all mentioned the possibility of Krystal getting in with Wolf, and most of the time I checked the thread, people are like "Wolf's a shoe-in, works in Krystal's favor", so I suppose no one would really think Krystal's chance alone is anywhere measurable.

There's actually no other data that can contribute into this case, but it's safe to say chance of that happening is close to negligible. So maybe add a 0.5% for the justification.

Final Chance Verdict: 12.57%/2 = 6.28%

Yes. It's very not likely, and I may be exaggerating on the chance. But truth be told: Even the chance of Krystal happening, disregarding the side conceptions that apply on this, is not high to begin with. (~14%).

Abstain on other stuff.

Nomination:
Slippy 5x

Last edited:

thief_of_demons

Smash Journeyman
Krystal

Chance - 50%

Might be higher than certain people expect, but despite the mixed opinions that surround her, she does have a bigger fan base to compensate for that. Support on Miiverse is strong and even on other websites I've seen tons of fans quickly backup the hate she gets. On top of this, she also has a huge fan base backing her up in Japan, obviously a country that Nintendo are going to take into consideration.

People feel that her chances may be less due to lack of Wolf and lack of appearance in Zero, but I personally don't see that being the case. I'm just going to say this now, that recent article that's came to light does up her chances, regardless of what people think. Krystal is a character they've obviously experimented with and obviously must feel that she could potentially have a unique move set. Another thing to point out is Namco have her models available for the taking, due to the game Star Fox Assault, and with Namco also working on Smash 4, I'd say that'd make her transition to the game a smoother process.

I feel as though her lack of appearance in Zero doesn't change THAT much either. There's a lot of characters in Smash, or who are wanted in Smash who haven't appeared in their most recent games and they've still had/got a shot. Just because she's absent from a game that is a retake on the original game doesn't prove that Nintendo has scrapped her at all. They're not going to totally disregard her popularity due to it. The lack of Wolf might slightly lessen her chances, but not to the extent I feel people are saying. Fire Emblem for example has its fair share of characters in the game despite being a less popular franchise, so this doesn't stop both Wolf AND Krystal from showing up. Besides this, despite Krystal having more hate than Wolf, I personally feel from what I've seen that there popularity is still pretty close to equal. And that's a wrap.

Want - 100%
Not much to say here except she's my number 1 to get in. I think what I've just said previously proves that, aha.

Mini Kangaroo

Chance - 5%
I really haven't heard of this character until now, but from what I now know, I don't think he has much of a chance. He already have similar mascot-like characters such as Game and Watch, R.O.B, heck, even Mario. I guess it'd be interesting to see, but anyone who doesn't know the companies history will be scratching heads.

Want - 8% Eh, like I said, only just heard about this guy. Don't care if he gets in either way.

Logo12

Smash Lord
I'm plotting this thing again.
upload_2015-8-22_15-55-36.png

It's apparent that up to the averages now, Krystal is as "likely" as Snake, and as wanted as Ridley.

Look at the amount of Krystal fans up to now tho.

7 out of 18. And they are guaranteed to give a rating above 30.

Will update as time goes.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Krystal
Chance: 8%
Want:45%
I think Wolf is going to be our Star Fox DLC. He has the advantage being a veteran which, for some dumb reason, means more than anything.

Mini Kangaroo

Look, I'm all for obscure characters getting some of the spotlight and some love. In fact I'm one of the biggest advocates! But there's a limit. This "character" is not even from a video game nor does she have anything to do with video games.

Nominations:
Barbara x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm plotting this thing again.
View attachment 69540
It's apparent that up to the averages now, Krystal is as "likely" as Snake, and as wanted as Ridley.

Look at the amount of Krystal fans up to now tho.

7 out of 18. And they are guaranteed to give a rating above 30.

Will update as time goes.
Which axis is the chance and which is the want?

Krystal:
Chance: 15%
I think Wolf is really an obstacle to Krystal for this game. Wolf has almost everything Krystal needs - more popularity, continued relevance, veteran status (which omits the need to be bring something new), and a role in Star Fox Zero.

Not really familiar with her. Incidentally, she is the third most demanded character for Smash who originated in the West and all three of them (K. Rool, Dixie and Krystal) were created by Rare.​

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Which axis is the chance and which is the want?

Krystal:
Chance: 15%
I think Wolf is really an obstacle to Krystal for this game. Wolf has almost everything Krystal needs - more popularity, continued relevance, veteran status (which omits the need to be bring something new), and a role in Star Fox Zero.

Not really familiar with her. Incidentally, she is the third most demanded character for Smash who originated in the West and all three of them (K. Rool, Dixie and Krystal) were created by Rare.​
x is chance y is want

Oh god how can i miss that

Top Bottom