• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty the SLUG

Smash Ace
Skull Kid
Chances: 15%
Want: 90%
I'd love to see Skull kid in the game. Since he was last seen in a Nintendo 64 game, he is retro now. But there are many other characters that have greater relativity over him.
Lip
Prediction: 5%
Nomination: Bowser Jr. 5X

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid:
Likelihood: 4% I think he's less likely than Ghirahim and even Zant, unless MM is remade.
Want: 0% I never liked him.

Lip: 7%

Duck Hunt Dog x5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Skull Kid 18% on a weird suspicion that Majora's Mask gets a remake.

predict Lip 29.92%

Wonder Red x5

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Skull Kid
Chance: 8% He's one of the more popular Zelda villains, but he has one appearance as the main villain and two other small roles. He's gotta compete with Impa, Vaati, and (as much as I loathe typing this) Tingle for a 5th Zelda slot that may not even be there (Or a 4th if they drop Toon Link), and those other three all have appeared more often and more recently. He's got a tough fight, to be certain.
Want: 60% I am a Zelda fan, and he'd certainly have an interesting moveset. But I'd prefer Vaati or Impa first. Both have more series significance, and Vaati has just as much potential for a unique moveset. Impa would be a bit tougher to diversify from Sheik, but Sora/Namco could certainly do it if they felt it was worth their time.

Predict Lip: 21.35%

Nominate x5 Mona

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid
Likelihood: 7%
The most likely single time appearance Zelda villain IMO. The Mask is very iconic. Maybe the Majora's Mask remake will help... if anything at all...
Want: 12%
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. My friends think I'm crazy putting it above Ocarina of Time, but I absolutely love playing as the transformations. It also seems to be the most tragic story that is shrouded in many eerie mysteries that the developers put in the game (this is what disturbs me about the game; it seems like there were a lot of subliminal messages hidden through out the game that only the developers could understand, but I guess every Zelda game has something of the sort ). I did kind of want the Skull kid back in the day for Melee, but that ship has sailed ( I wish they would bring back Termina Bay with updated graphics ). If Zelda gets another rep I think it should be the Deku/Zora/Goron trio.

Lip
Prediction: 3%

Nominations:
Dixie Kong x5
Don't worry FreshlyBakedCookies after I get Dixie Kong through I'll go for Majora's Mask Link...I'm assuming that's the Deku/Zora/Goron trio.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
So yeah, finally listened through Time's End. Holy cow that's great music. And there's more coming? This is good news indeed.

Skull Kid - 2%
This rating is kinda sad for me because I love the idea of Skull Kid or Masked Link making an appearance in Smash, yet while Majora's Mask is nearly as beloved among Zelda fans as Ocarina of Time, it has little within Smash to show for it. My big problem with Skull Kid in particular is that he's effectively a one-off character: the version we all presumably want is MM's, where he's uniquely powered up by the mask compared to appearances in OoT and TP. This puts him in the realm of Ghirahim and Zant and many other Zelda villains, which is a bad place to be for Smash consideration. Also not helping is that MM has yet to receive an OoT-style 3DS remake, so he doesn't have the unique leverage of promoting a new release. Meanwhile Wind Waker has a remake releasing very soon, and I've already said my piece on how that specifically helps the chances of Toon Link, Toon Zelda, and Tetra over all the other Zelda competition. In a perfect world, MM would have the remake it deserves and Skull Kid or Masked Link could appear in Smash as a result. At the moment? They're both too irrelevant and swamped in competition to have a realistic shot. A shame.
Want - 100% - Would I play Skull Kid? Of course I'd play Skull Kid! How awesome would that be?

Lip Prediction - 10%
This round is going to be weird.

Nominations
Black Shadow x5

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Skull Kid:
Skull Kid seems to have a great deal of popularity with people, but I wonder how many people actually remember his role in the game. Skull Kid is a step below other Zelda villains like Vaati and Demise because he's not even a villain. He's a puppet and a weak one at that. He isn't even the main antagonist in his only major game appearance. So for me, that puts him a step below those characters in terms of importance to his series. He would presumably wearing his Majora's Mask, but by his character name, he would be presented as the Skull Kid, rather the game's real antagonist Majora. Not to mention his game is not at all important to the Zelda chronology. It started development with Gaiden in the title (side story in Japanese). I don't think that really affects his chances, as all Zelda villains besides Ganon have a low chance.

Even if we considered him a villain, no series in Smash has been represented with more than one villain. Although there is a first time for anything, there is a practical purpose for the series. The villain presented in the game has been the protagonist's ultimate villain/rival in at least one appearance. Mario = Bowser. Link = Ganondorf. Kirby = King Dedede. Fox = Wolf. etc. Skull Kid as a villain is nowhere near in the same league as these characters.

According to comments by Anonuma, Zelda is not likely to get another remake besides Wind Waker any time soon. So there's virtually no chance his inclusion could be to promote a Majora's Mask remake. It seems Skull Kid is doomed to a terrible fate when it comes to Smash: constantly being demanded by his fans with virtually no chance. With that in mind:

Likelihood: 3%
In terms of FE an attack, there is no way in hell I would ever take this shot, even if I took no damage from the opponent. It's a waste of time.

Want: 0%
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game. But presenting Skull Kid as some type of villain attacking people betrays the spirit of his role in the game. If you want a villain from Majora's Mask, I would prefer Majora. Skull Kid is not a villain in Majora's Mask; he is puppet whose loneliness was taken advantage of. Since it would be virtually impossible to present his character arc in an all-star battle royale, putting him in the game would be a poor reflection of the character. No thanks. If I want to see the Skull Kid, I'll play Majora's Mask.

Lip's Prediction: 25.25% I hope people take into account that her item is in the games and that Nintendo has regularly released the Panel de Pon game as a remake, or used it's core design for other game's in the Puzzle League series.

Nominations:
Snake x 5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Because unlike Sonic I don't chuckle , Link is still the main character of the series, and all the Links are connected by the Triforce of Courage, so they could be viewed as the same person in different bodies... Kinda.
Skull Kid doesn't have that. This particular Skull Kid only has one confirmed appearance; its implied that he's also in OoT, so two. That's only two appearances, and his generic name certainly doesn't help his case.
Basically, 'The' Skull Kid needs more confirmed appearances to be more recognizable. Compare this to other reoccurring, recognizable Zelda characters like Vaati and Tingle...
I don't want to derail the thread, but there's no real basis for saying that the Links are the same person in different bodies. The Triforce and pieces thereof have been shown being possessed by different contemporaries. That makes it implausible that they denote some kind of enduring identity.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't want to derail the thread, but there's no real basis for saying that the Links are the same person in different bodies. The Triforce and pieces thereof have been shown being possessed by different contemporaries. That makes it implausible that they denote some kind of enduring identity.
I think what he means is that Link's share the same spirit and role in the games. That's directly said in multiple games in the series. That's why he said "kinda". Skull Kid appearing in multiple games matter less because his role as a fighting character would be in his Majora's Mask possessed form in question (as far as I can tell). So there's only one appearance where he appears as the fighting type of Skull Kid.

He's also a little wrong since only Links after OoT have the Triforce of Courage. But I get what he's saying.

If you don't want to derail the thread, I would be happy to discuss this in the Zelda discussion thread.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Skull Kid
Chance: 18%
Higher chance than most others are giving him, but as Majora's Mask is now fondly looked back upon as the slightly neglected second Zelda child of the N64 and fan demand is high for Majora's Mask to be ported to 3DS I think he's at least worth considering.

However, like Glaciacott suggested, I feel like his role would be better as an Assist Trophy and if it came down to a choice for playable Majora's Mask character, Masked Link would be far more likely due to Sakurai having two Young Link characters in the past. This doesn't mean he will always do it, but heroes tend to prioritize over villains in Smash.

Twilight Princess' cameo boss fight barely affects anything here, let's not kid ourselves; Geno's cameo in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga didn't help him get into Brawl, and I doubt Twilight Princess would even be a factor in considering Skull Kid's placement in Smash U and 3DS.

Want: 40%
That said, I certainly wouldn't mind playing as him. His Final Smash is obvious, and there's a lot worse options for Zelda playable candidates. But there's also better ones.

Lip: 16%
One of my favoured 'retro' reps(right after Duck Hunt Dog), but I don't think she's going to fair well here. Especially when most people are expecting Takamaru for the obligatory 'retro' spot.

Nominations:
X 3 Roy
X 2 Meowth

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I think what he means is that Link's share the same spirit and role in the games. That's directly said in multiple games in the series. That's why he said "kinda". Skull Kid appearing in multiple games matter less because his role as a fighting character would be in his Majora's Mask possessed form in question (as far as I can tell). So there's only one appearance where he appears as the fighting type of Skull Kid.

He's also a little wrong since only Link's after OoT have the Triforce of Courage. But I get what he's saying.

If you don't want to derail the thread, I would be happy to discuss this in the Zelda discussion thread.
This guy got it.

Skull Kid

Chance: 4.5%
He's the bottom of the Zelda character barrel.

Want: 60%
Only because a Majoras Mask stage would be more likely.

Lip: 10%

Noms:
Ephraim x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Skull Kid:

You have a terrible chance, don't you? :troll:
Likelihood: 7%
I'm think I'm being generous even with that low number... His popularity has endured though, I'll give him that. Then there is the Project Moonfall, and the Majora's Mask Soundtrack gift to Club Nintendo members is suspicious...

He would be a welcome addition, I suppose. But I want Vaati, Tetra and Tingle before him.

Lip prediction: 12%
Quite underrated.

Ashley (WarioWare) x 5

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Likelihood: 9% - As painful as this is for me, this is as high as I can give him, in all good faith. Skull Kid could be such an interesting character, but with a MM remake nowhere in sight, there's not much that gives him the edge over his competition, even as a potential fifth Zelda character. Ghirahim, Tingle, Toon Zelda and Impa all have a much much better chance at being a Zelda newcomer.

Want: 70% - I'd really love to see him if we got a moveset based around his creepy, insane personality, with spinning heads/masks and erratic unnatural movements, which I feel would be pretty likely if he made it. That plus the inevitable Moon Final Smash would make him a very fun character.

Lip Prediction: 21% - She's got a shot, but I don't see her happening except possibly as an Assist Trophy, and I feel others will feel the same way.

Nominations
Adam Malkovich x 5

Forde

Smash Cadet
Skull Kid:

Chances: 10% He isn't nowhere near relevant to the current series, as the last game he was in was Twilight Princess. Though they have brought up a MM remake, so it is possible to see him again. Maybe as a DLC character?

Want: 65% I think he would be a pretty cool addition to the SSB Zelda rep's. Could have a very interesting magic based moveset, and I think it could work out for the series well.

Lip Prediction: 8%

Nominations
Cloud Strife x5

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
hey guys

remember when skull kid was part of an ancient tale

and was friends with the guardians of the world until they left to protect it

and this was a major plot point

why do people say it cant be him in tp again

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Skull Kid: 4%
He's kinda popular but he's not getting in. Even if Majora's Mask is remade.

Eh. Don't really like him all that much...

Lip Prediction: 5%

Nominations:
Snake x3
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Skull Kid:

Chance: 0%
Majora's Mask isn't getting a 3D remake, and even if he did he's only indicative of that game, not the series as a whole. This is smash brothers, not PSASBR, we don't want no flavour of the month character! Unless it's Pokémon and maybe Fire Emblem, they may get a pass then.

Want: 5%
To see the moon fall as his final smash, literally the only thing I want about him.

Lip Prediction: 11%
Nintendo's answer to Arle Nadja; she comes from a fun game, but she doesn't have the legacy to bring to the game. She got an item, and there have been other references in smash, so if people think Sakurai's push for Retro is big enough then she may get good scores.

Someone voted Ghirahim? D: My pun yesterday backfired!
Falco's fire-birding up the nominations list!
And even Kamek's beating me!

Slime*5
(Slime beginning to sense a goo-man con-slime-acy!)

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Skull Kid appearing in multiple games matter less because his role as a fighting character would be in his Majora's Mask possessed form in question (as far as I can tell).
I don't see why he has to be pigeonholed into the possessed form. In fact, I want his moveset to be ambiguous enough that he could pass for a normal Skull Kid, albeit with more magical power displayed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Skull Kid:

Likelihood: 4% - He's met with a terrible fate indeed.

Want: 45% - Would be the coolest Zelda newcomer, and I'd enjoy playing him to a certain extent. Still, I feel that the Zelda series is complete as is.

Lip Prediction: 7%

Nominations:
5x Snake

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Skull Kid: 3%
His game is old, he's only played a major role in 1 game and he's one of many one off villains.

Want: 40
As much as I love Skull kid, I just can't justify him being in this game.

5x Impa

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skull Kid:

Chance: 10%
Should go without saying, he's not likely at all. Perhaps in pre-Brawl his chances could've been 10~20% higher cause of his appearance in Twilight Princess (unlike a certain Brawl character). But now... No, shamefully.

Want: 70%
Retrospectively, Skull Kid would've made the most sence if he was in Melee, instead of Sheik. If he was to return in Brawl, he'd get an actual TP-based design, and small moveset changes. He'd be at a danger of being cut now though, much as I view Sheik to be unlikely, but nearly not as much. He has moveset potential, and would be extremely fun. Shame he'll never happen though.

Impa x 5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Yes. Finally, we get to rate skull kid! Gotta support Rayman to the death now. :)

Skull Kid
Chance: 5%
4 Zelda characters seems to be enough, and even if they get rid of Toon Link there are other characters like Impa, Vaati, etc. That have a better chance. Even though MM has sky rocketed in popularity as of late, and with a potential remake, hes still unlikely.

Want: 100%
MM is one of my favorite zelda games and Skull Kid represents a crazy evil aide. Id compare him to the joker when hes under the masks spell, wanting to create chaos and catastrophe. When hes not under control, he could be an innocent child of the forest or protector of the Master Sword. He is relevant in the series, and has had some of the most varied rolls in the game, playing as your friend, enemy, and there to test your skills. I would like to see a moveset from him.

Lip: 6.4%

Noms:
Rayman x5

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Skull Kid

Chances: 1-9%
Skull Kid's chance as a playable character may have been missed. He would have been perfect in Melee. He's only has a major role in one Zelda game and doesn't have the popularity of Zelda's newest oneshot villain: Ghiraham. He is very unlikely, but perhaps a Majora's Mask 3D remake is hiding on the horizon which could give this character more relevance. Of course, Sakurai doesn't look only for recency to select characters - he has no problem going back into long past video games for characters.

Want: 60-70%
I suppose Skull Kid would make a good choice for a character. He would have interesting moves, but if I wanted something from MM it would be Masked Link (but that's probably even less likely).

Groose

Smash Champion
Don't worry FreshlyBakedCookies after I get Dixie Kong through I'll go for Majora's Mask Link...I'm assuming that's the Deku/Zora/Goron trio.
Yeah that's what I'm nominating
Pretty much, yeah.
So yeah, finally listened through Time's End. Holy cow that's great music. And there's more coming? This is good news indeed.
I believe the plan is he will release disc two on 12/21/13. It'll probably have some other classics like Oath to Order, maybe Stone Tower Temple, etc.
He's also a little wrong since only Links after OoT have the Triforce of Courage. But I get what he's saying.
Did you just page a former Zelda timeline theorist? Actually, the Hero of Skies (SS Link) had the Triforce of Courage before the Hero of Time (OoT Link). But yeah, he became much more closely associated with it after the events of OoT.

Oh, and I view the "Spirit of the Hero" as just a trait all Links possess. There isn't enough evidence to say either way, though.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Pretty much, yeah.

I believe the plan is he will release disc two on 12/21/13. It'll probably have some other classics like Oath to Order, maybe Stone Tower Temple, etc.

Did you just page a former Zelda timeline theorist? Actually, the Hero of Skies (SS Link) had the Triforce of Courage before the Hero of Time (OoT Link). But yeah, he became much more closely associated with it after the events of OoT.

Oh, and I view the "Spirit of the Hero" as just a trait all Links possess. There isn't enough evidence to say either way, though.
I forgot about Skyway Sword Link. I think the Spirit of the Hero is directly referenced by Demise at the end of Skyward Sword, so all Links possess it.

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
I spent the last two days of browsing simply reading the Ridley thread. I'm not too bitter about missing Chibi-Robo or Porky though.

Skull Kid

Chance: 4% - His last chance was Brawl.

Want: 1% - Meh.

Lip Prediction: 12% - Not many find her likely.

Nominations:
Snake x5

Groose

Smash Champion
I spent the last two days of browsing simply reading the Ridley thread. I'm not too bitter about missing Chibi-Robo or Porky though.
I'll admit that I've spent a solid day of my life on the Ridley thread in the last two days. :shades:

I'm aiming for this thread to update at about 7PM EST for the next couple of weeks... but Ridley made my last two updates come over an hour late. :mad:

... Am I the only person who does a lot of research on character's they don't know, or is it just me?

I've learned so much (especially about Fire Emblem) while playing this game, it isn't even funny.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Skull Kid

Likelihood: 6% - If we happen to get another Zelda rep, it's probably not gonna be him.

Want: 60% - He seems really nice, but it's not one of my top wishes

Lip Prediction: 15,7%

Nominations:
Primid x5

Primid

Smash Apprentice
I was so busy with my first day of school yesterday that I missed voting on Porky...oh well... :glare:

SKULL KID
Likelihood: 11% The Zelda franchise is pretty much covered. Any other character they added would just be a minor character that isn't quite as important to the series. Though he's one of the popular minor characters, his chances are pretty slim.
Want: 55% I like his character and he'd translate well as a fighter.

Lip Prediction: 6%

Nominations:
Rayman x5

Groose

Smash Champion
Skull Kid's Chances: 5%
There's always the chance that Majora's Mask gets a remake... but I don't even think that would boost the Skull Kid's chances. Why? Well... he's still a one-off villain (with a minor role in two other games) and he's a villain who puts story above combat. Besides, you call Zant a puppet? Skull Kid is the ultimate puppet!

Skull Kid Want: 40%
There are better Zelda choices out there. I love Skull Kid (behind only Ganon and Majora itself when it comes to Zelda villains), but he just isn't a good pick for Smash in my opinion. If we get a Majora's Mask rep... give me this guy:

Lip Prediction: 4.53%
Lip isn't exactly a Retro rep, but she'll probably be treated as one. And we've seen how behind Takamaru for the Retro this board and this game in particular is.

Professor Layton x5. May he puzzle our minds soon.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
Skull Kid: 0.5%
Not happening.

Want: 50%
Pretty cool Zelda character.

Lip: 10.22%

x5 Chrom & Lucina

Groose

Smash Champion
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda)
7.52% chance
41.47% want
The Skull Kid... didn't really meet with a terrible fate. Bad? Maybe. Terrible? Nah. He's more popular than the majority of the characters we've rated, even if you still doubt he'll make an appearance.
Today we'll be rating someone who isn't quite as well known... at least on this side of the pond. She is Lip, and she isn't a stranger to the Smash scene. Her theme song and her stick have made it in before... but will she make it in herself? Please leave your chance and want on Lip today.
WARNING! CHALLENGER RE-APPROACHING! Our boy Roy is back. Last time, he didn't do so well... he failed in chance and didn't perform up to par in want, either. Will things change this go round? Please leave your chance and want on Roy today.
Finally, please predict how Professor Hershel Layton will perform in tomorrow's contest. He doesn't have the long history of other third party characters we've rated so far, but he is certainly a prominent character in recent years. Today's nomination winner is... Groose.

Oh, and Lyn has been added to the nominations list once more.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Lip: 1% ok she did get an item in brawl... I will give her that much
Want: 1% ok I do know who she is but I don't want to have a character that unimportant to nintendo in a nintendo all stars game

Roy: 25% I don't know what to expect by now... I think him and chrom are the only ones that have a shot for fire emblem but I have no idea wich one will get in. that is why I am rating him low-ish
Want: 25%

Professor layton: 6% no!!!

x5 kamek :estatic:Come on supporters we can get him above Falco and Bomberman!!!:estatic:

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Lip
Likelihood: 2%
Want: 0%

Roy
Likelihood: 25%
Want: 25%

Professor Layton
Prediction: 3%

Nominations:
Dixie Kong x5

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Lip: 26%

Want: 76%

Roy

Chance: 85% The 3rd FE spot comes down to Chrom or Roy, I've seen unique Movesets for both Chrom and Roy. No matter who is chosen they would both make great picks although I would rather see Roy return.

Want 100%

Professor Layton: 11%

Lloyd Irving x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom