• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
:4villager:- 100%, Animal Crossing deserved a rep and his moveset is really unique and interesting. Also, I like all the alternate costumes. :happysheep:
:4megaman:- 100%
:4wiifit:- 200%, Favorite newcomer by far.

*edit- Defending WFT in response to negative ratings. First of all, Wii Fit probably outsold the latest games of all of the newcomers combined, excluding maybe Miis, so she obviously deserved it. Also, I disagree that she's boring as she represents a totally unique twist to the brawler archetype in Smash. Multi-directional attacks and the ability strike opponents in bizarre angles makes for a different take on your typical melee character. Couple this with the fact that her and Shulk are the only characters that can power-up their whole moveset and you have a totally individual addition.

Also, she's hilarious. We need more joke characters represented in Smash.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The horrible thing about the timing of this is that I'm stupidly biased.

Mega Man
100%
One of the best reveals, Mega Man being done justice after years of being thrown aside, and looks soo beautiful. Can't help but love the super fighting robot (fighting to save the world!!)

Killager
100%
I love the culture of trolling and fear that has grown around this character. Can't wait to play her, the green version that's considerably less creepy than every other one we've seen, apparently.

Wii Fit Trainer
100%
Still one of the best trolls and I like how random of an addition this is. Eager to see her abilities.

And yes, I'll probably have a solid 100% for most characters. Too much hype.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
:4villager:- 65%
Unique newcomer is cool, but I have no particular attachment or reason to care otherwise.

:4megaman:- 65%
^

:4wiifit:- 90%
Out-of-the-blue choices are great and part of the reason SSB is so good.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
:4villager: - 100%

I really can't express how much I love Animal Crossing. So this reveal was very satisfying for me, especially since they were one of the first characters revealed. I really like the direction they went with the Villager, they've got a lot of nice gimmicks and quirks that make them look seriously fun to play as.

:4megaman: - 95%

Only because I knew the bad state he and Capcom were in, as the Mega Man series is just one of the many big video game series of which I have not played a single game from yet. I'm mostly happy for Mega Man fans, though I definitely will be trying him myself.

:4wiifit: - 35%

I thought she was a terrible idea at first....not so much anymore, but I still find her boring nonetheless. I guess that might change when the game's out and I can actually try to play as her myself, we'll see.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
:4villager:: 90%
Animal Crossing was really the last "big" Nintendo franchise that has yet to get a rep. Going into last e3, I didn't yet know what characters I wanted in Smash 4 but I had a good feeling that one of the first reps would be from Animal Crossing. I haven't even played AC (the franchise just doesn't appeal to me) but even then the Villager has been such a memorable character. From his quirky move set, to that dumb Killager meme that was going around for a while last e3(that feels so long ago now) I can't say that I haven't grown to love the character.

:4megaman:: 88%
Funnily enough, the Newcomer that got me the least hyped last e3 was Megaman. I had only played a few MM games and I don't have all that much of a connection to the character. Saying that, Sakurai and his team at Namco did an amazing job implementing him into the game. Everything about him feels like it was made with love, from his move set, animations to his final Smash which gave us one of the best moment's in Smash history (Super Fighting Robot, Megaman).

:4wiifit:: 92%
One of my biggest concerns about the roster this time around is that it was going to be... safe and predicable. WFT blew that fear out of the water. I don't know, I just find her funny. One of my favout memories with Smash4 was waking up the night after Nintendo's e3 direct, checking out the Smash website and seeing the WFT there. I was so confused and then I saw her trailer and laughed my arse off. Smash Bros isn't a series that should take it's self to seriously, and while the novelty of her being in the game has somewhat rubbed off, I still love that she is in the game.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
The "want" ratings chart is now officially 100% complete!! Looks like my work here is done. :(

Villager: 51% - He simply doesn't appeal to me. I'm unfortunately not the big Animal Crossing fan that I once was.

Mega Man: 62% - I'm not the biggest Mega Man fan but I'm still happy that one of the biggest gaming legends made it in and his moveset looks like a lot of fun.

Wii Fit Trainer: 70% - This idea is so crazy that it's brilliant.

D

Deleted member

Killager :4villager: 90%: I just wish he was Tom Nook.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT, :4megaman: 100%: I loved him so much in the trailer that I bought Mega Man 3 on the Eshop.

Not Pokémon Trainer :4wiifit: 0%: I just hate her. A mannequin. That exercises/fights by doing awkward poses and shouting random words that I know I'll grow to hate when I use her as a punching bag.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:4villager: 100%
Animal Crossing is a big series. It's hugely popular, and well deserving of a fighter.

He's also the spiritual successor(and closest thing viable for Smash) to Balloon Fighter, a retro I really like and the female alts cement him for me as one of the best additions this time round.

Pocket alone is one of the most interesting abilities to me, throw in Gyroid rocket and the variable turnip attack and I'm sold. Even after seeing it in action I'm not hugely convinced yet by the tree special. I'll give it a shot.

:4megaman: 90%
I'm afraid I still don't have the connection to Megaman that many do, but he's one of the most deserving 3rd party characters available alongside Pac-Man and Sonic, and his moveset has plenty of nifty references to his games. Love that death animation too. That's attention to detail.

I can honestly say whilst I don't have any connection with him, I feel Sakurai was spot on with the third party choices this time round.

:4wiifit: 10%
I honestly blame her for the heartache this time round. After her appearance 'Anyone could happen' became a popular opinion and thus people, including myself, got our hopes up over certain newcomers.

Wii Fit may be a big series, but she doesn't exactly ooze personality in the most emotive Smash game we've ever seen...seems like a waste.

I still can't get over a physical fitness obsessed character using energy balls in their moveset. Yeah, it's about inner chi/ki/chakra/spirit, but you don't see Little Mac firing giant energy boxing gloves at his opponents with a soul punch...actually that does sound pretty cool.

Still; not a fan of Wii Fit Trainer as a character. Because she kind of isn't one. The ability to heal oneself whilst useful and unique seems quite a hard thing to balance. Perhaps my fears will be eased when I play her, but until then she's bottom of the barrel for me.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:4villager:Villager Satisfaction: 50% - Indifference incarnate for me. He's fine, I'm just not interested in him.

:4megaman:Mega Man Satisfaction: 95% - They made his moveset the best possible way it could have been. Still, it's not really my playstyle, so it's hard to rate it 100%.

:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 10% - I still don't see why she's in, her moveset only made me more confused about her inclusion because it's nothing special at all. Still, I don't actually despise her.

Last edited:

Marcusjll

Smash Cadet
:4villager: - 90%. At first, I was perplexed at his choice. Sakurai always said they weren't good for smash. But that's changed, and I think the fan base has grew to love them. Animal Crossing is HUGE and I'm surprised they weren't included. They'll be a mainstay now.

:4megaman: - 100%. Now, don't get me wrong. I didn't care for him that much. But to see the fan base so happy he's in, and considering he's such an iconic character, he well and truly deserves a place!

:4wiifit: - 50%. She's grew on me a bit, she seems fun. But I don't think I'll ever main her and it just seems a let down considering both Villager and Miis are in too, (don't get me wrong, though, I would have preferred WFT over Mii anyway)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Villager Satisfaction: 100% :4villager:

Villager works incredibly well. Animal Crossing was a series that really deserved some recognition, but Sakurai had said no to him earlier. So his deserved inclusion came with an awesome surprise! His moveset is fluid and accurate to the source material.

An incredibly good choice and an exciting character.

Mega Man Satisfaction: 100% :4megaman:

It's Mega Man. That alone would raise him up to ninety. But there's just so much attention to detail. Every move is something from a Mega Man game. And the moveset looks like it works. Yeah he didn't do well in demos, but I don't think a lot of the players actually know how to.. you know.. zone.

None of his projectiles were used more than once. Crash Bomb was never used as far as I'm aware. Leaf Sheild isn't being used to its full potential. I think there's a lot of hidden goodies for Mega Man.

An incredibly good choice and exciting character.

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 70% :4wiifit:

Okay... Wii Fit Trainer is kinda boring...

Yes. She's funny and her lack of emotions is charming. Wii Fit certainly deserved something and a character definitely works. But... her moveset is... kinda uninspiring... I mean its just kinda bland...

I mean her jab is certainly interesting... HER JAB COMBO PLANTS PEOPLE! INSTANT HIGH TIER!!!

But yeah... her moveset looks functional and actually quite good, but I'm just not feeling it for some reason.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
:4villager:: 90%
Just one of those characters that make you go "F*** I GOT KILLED BY THAT?!"
He's cute too

:4megaman:: 70%
I am ok with him didn't really have ties with Mega Man. But it's good to see third parties brought to the table

:4wiifit:: 85%
Best WTF character award (for now)

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Not to say we're wrong for doing satisfaction ratings, but it feels really weird doing them knowing that we'll be drowning in new information about all these characters (and likely some/all of the unlockable characters) in a week's time. Makes me wonder how satisfied users will be with the various newcomers after that point, and again maybe a week after the worldwide launch when everyone's had a chance to play with them. Well, no matter, let's start this wind-down!

Villager Satisfaction - 50%
My final satisfaction rating for the Villager represents another significant percentage drop in satisfaction, yet it's probably an unfair drop given his only real fault is being one of our first SSB4 newcomer reveals. It's been over a year since his debut at E3 2013, and while I was plenty hype before that Sakurai finally added Animal Crossing to the mix like he probably should have back in Brawl, now his inclusion just feels, well, normal. Him being on the roster is fine, his moveset is fine, his alternate costumes are fine, everything about him is fine. What he isn't now, though, is exciting. I don't feel any compulsion to play Villager at release beyond the base allure playing any new character brings, and I fully expect even that won't last too long compared to more interesting additions like Little Mac and Greninja. Newcomers ought to make me want to buy the new Smash game, and in this case the honeymoon's ended before the game actually released. Perhaps it's a good thing that Villager feels so normal being in Smash now, but compared to the nearly dozen other officially revealed newcomers (never mind the unconfirmed, leaked ones), Villager falls flat.

Mega Man Satisfaction - 80%
Like Villager before him, there's nothing wrong with Mega Man. Heck, in his case, there's an overwhelming amount of things done absolutely right! His reveal trailer's still one of the most hype ones we got, his moveset is an amazing homage to the classic games, and his inclusion in general is one of the best surprises we've had for SSB4. Simply knowing how excited he made my Mega Man-loving friends left me a very happy camper. However, I myself am not a Mega Man fan, and as great as his inclusion is, he too suffers a bit from being revealed very early. The surprise factor has long since faded away, and what was once at the front of the Smash hype train is now simply a solid addition to the roster. Even if you can still feel the love that went into making Mega Man, I personally don't find the same sort of love for him anymore that would justify a full 100% satisfaction. Instead, he hovers at a very respectable 80%, a rating that reflects how brilliant his inclusion is but also admits that the age of his announcement has caused him to become somewhat overshadowed.

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction - 60%
To be honest, I'm not sure what to think of WFT these days. Where Villager and Mega Man's announcements have lost their edge, WFT continues to stand out because of just how bizarre and unexpected her inclusion remains. Granted, the decision to include a character for the massively successful Wii Fit isn't that strange in hindsight, but seeing a character who runs around beating up classic Nintendo characters with yoga poses is equal parts hilarious and baffling, and at the end of the day her moveset really isn't all that strange once you get past the unusual animations. One thing that sticks out personally is that she looks genuinely fun to play, even if she isn't exactly reinventing the wheel, and as a result I expect she'll be the first of the initial three newcomers I'll be playing this October. What continues to drag her down, though, is that she is such an easy target for blame when considering which characters didn't make the roster. For example, it appears only one of the characters in my signature will have made it onto the roster, barring a small miracle/DLC, and while none of them really compete with WFT, she nevertheless got developed when they weren't, despite being a character no one was really asking for. My interest in her as a character is pretty low as a result despite how fun she appears, and though I don't truly dislike her, she isn't far outpacing Villager despite my increasing apathy towards the latter.

Overall, the story of the E3 2013 newcomers is that of hype long since past. Even if there's no true faults with the three characters, time and more personally exciting announcements have left them in the dust, and while I'll be happy to see them on the character select screen in less than a month's time, I can't say I'll be in any rush to actually play as them.

D

Deleted member

I would have found it hilarious if we preferred to have the game be cancelled than to have Adam Malkovich be playable.
The Directory has been updated.
If you have rated these newcomers in Satisfaction, check to see what you've said!
Short little thing; I am labeling these days as "FINALE." So, today is "FINALE 1" instead of "DAY 324." Tomorrow will be "FINALE 2" and so on.

Villager
Satisfaction:
100%

I will be honest; I have never played an Animal Crossing game before. I have City Folk, but I never touched it once.
Despite this, I supported the Villager since Brawl. Animal Crossing needed a representative, especially with how successful the franchise is. In fact, I was surprised when the series didn't get a rep at all in Brawl. Now that the Villager has entered the fray, that hole for me is now filled. Moveset wise, he looks pretty fun and he perfectly represents Animal Crossing.
Overall, he came out like I expected him to, filled in a hole left in Brawl, and gave Animal Crossing a much needed rep. When I saw him, I thought, "It's about freaking time!"

Mega Man
Satisfaction:
100%

I don't really play the Mega Man games. I've picked up 1 and 2 and I had a bad experience with 1 and an OK experience with 2. Recently, I've played 9 and I absolutely loved it! (despite not being able to beat it... yet... freaking Wily Castle stages) Even with my lack of Mega Man knowledge, I know how popular he is and I am aware that he was big during pre-Brawl.
While I lack a connection with Mega Man, I believe that he is one of the best newcomers that we've seen. His moveset rides on nostalgia and fan service and it all works well. I sense that a lot of love went into his moveset and even animations; love from the developers and love for the fans. He looks pretty fun and I can't wait to try him out.
Hopefully after Smash 4, Capcom will revitalize the Mega Man franchise. It's a shame to not see the Blue Bomber in action for such a long time.

Wii Fit Trainer
Satisfaction:
10%

This rating just goes down and down with each passing rating.
To be honest, I own Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus, but I only got them for the mini games. The Yoga and Strength Training parts are things that I did not care for. Even so, I wasn't a fan of those sections of the game in general. The Wii Fit Trainers just look so... bland and dull.
When I saw her in Smash, I was mystified as to why she got in. At first I was pretty OK with it since she has a whacky moveset. While I do like it, she just degrades in quality as we see more and more newcomers with creative movesets. She just looks boring compared to the others.
I don't hate the Wii Fit Trainer, but I think her novelty has worn off the past year.

Last edited by a moderator:

zon770

Smash Rookie
Villager Satisfaction: 85%
I love the quirky move set and how much personality is in the character. Also this face

MEGAMAN Satisfaction: 100%
The day that he was announced I screamed so loud that everybody else in my house thought I was being kidnapped. His reveal was a hype train in itself.

WFT Satisfaction: 30%
Ugh. This character is just a manikin with exercise equipment.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Oh boy, what a way to end it off.

Wii Fit Trainer: 85%
Although one of my favorite Newcomers by far, she just seems... out of place. Yes, I know this is the world where Ganondorf wearing a Bunny Hood and Tanooki Ears/Tail and holding a Lip's Stick can pummel Jigglypuff with a Falcon Punch, but WFT just seems outta place.

Mega Man: 90%
NOW NOW NOW, WAIT A MINUTE, LEMME EXPLAIN.
I LOVE Mega Man, especially his games. But he just feels... flawed.
Yes, I know he's based off his 8-bit incarnation, but he doesn't FEEL like it.
Metal Blade moves SO SLOW compared to normal, you can just catch it while it's flying towards you at a snails pace.
Crash Bomber doesn't immediately detonate when you want it to, leaving you and your rival in a game of Hot Potato.
There's little things like this that just make Mega Man, as hype and awesome as he is, feel a bit flawed. And I attended a Demo, so I know how he feels.

Villager: 99.9%
CALLED IT. That's all.
Only problem I have is that he doesn't use the Fishing Rod in his standard Moveset.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Satisfaction ratings. Yeah!
:4villager:: 80%

My thoughts on this one is very positive. I haven't given him any higher because I don't think he'll be one of my favourites. Let's face it, Animal Crossing really deserved a rep and Villager I think was the best choice they could have made. His playstyle looks very similar to how he is in his games (namely his pocket move) and it looks rather unique. I'm happy. No complaints just not really my cup of tea for mains but we'll see. Oh, and I'm sure we're all aware of his "character".

:4megaman:: 100%
Kinda surprising for someone who hasn't played a MegaMan game before don't ya think? It's true, I do not posses the many memories shooting down robot masters. So why then? Why so high? Well for one, he's a Nintendo character. Yes, he is owned by Capcom but in spirit he's most definitely a Nintendo guy. He just fit's in so well with the rest of the cast much more than Snake ever had. Secondly his moveset. Seeing as I really liked :4tlink: in Brawl who looks similar to :4megaman: (lots of projectiles to hassle players and camp) I think it's safe to say that he may indeed be my new main. Though that's still hard to say since the game hasn't been released yet and there were other characters I liked in Brawl.

:4wiifit:: 80%
I admit, I gave her a reasonably lower satisfaction rating last time. Since then, I've turned around on her. I don't think any newcomers are bad, in fact I like the look of all of them (except for one rather clone-ish, one that shall remain unnamed for the time being). Sure, she's a blank slate but prefer to look at how fighters play rather than how they look. And all these people saying she isn't unique has always baffled me. I thought something like that at the beginning but now it's different. She has lot's of multi-directional attacks, a jab that pummels opponents and a very unique combo with deep breathing and sun salutation. Plus, I find all her moves to be quite interesting because of how they are based off actual yoga exercises. Even Sun Salutation is based off an actual yoga exercise, I should know because I have actually done it before. It's called 'Salute the Sun for anyone who is interested.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Villager: 75%:4villager:
I love Animal Crossing and it needs a rep but.. He looks kinda boring and not my playstyle. Great Addition regardless.
Mega Man: 90%:4megaman:
I don't have a good connection with him. Heck, I haven't play Mega Man when he was revealed but he is a perfect choice for a 3rd party newcomer and a moveset I can get behind
Wii Fit Trainer: 80%:4wiifit:
I love her but sometimes I forget that she's there. XD:4charizard:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Again? Ok.....

Villager satisfaction - 100%

Animal Crossing deserved a rep and we got both male and female villagers. So I'm happy. If I was to make one change I would have given both genders a gamecube style Animal Crossing hat as alts for the nostalgia.

Megaman satisfaction - 74%

I don't have much history with Megaman outside of the battle network games so he doesn't feel nearly as essential to me as he does for other people. However I can appreciate the addition since it made a lot of fans happy.

Wii Fit Trainer satisfaction - 70%

I like her moveset and she's a fun novelty. Not much else to say.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Villager: 100%. Probably the most deserving newcomer of the lot, possibly excluding Little Mac. I'm stoked to try out that moveset as well, it seems unique and represents the character well.

Mega Man: 80%. Incredibly hype addition that I'm totally for, but personally, I don't see myself using him much.

WFT: 100%. One of several characters I didn't know I wanted. Can't wait to try her out.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:4villager: 75%
Seems like a cool enough character, I guess. I never played the AC games, so he kinda feels like another little kid for me, but then the internet happened and I love the psycho idea. In all seriousness, he does seem like a really interesting choice. Not one I'd probably play, but I have friends who are already considering maining him because of his character.

:4megaman: 90%
Another game I've not played, but I at least recognize. He just looks really cool, and I'm pretty hyped for that. I don't play competitively; I try to play everyone through all modes, so I'll get a chance. I do like the classics though, and his music is great.

:4wiifit: 90%
Lol WTF character. When they introduced her, I did a double take and laughed. This is the type of bizarre character that actually seems cool because of how weird it is.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On my phone sadly, so I'll need to be brief.

Villager - 100%
My second most hyped newcomer after Mac. I love the way he plays.

Mega Man - 100%
So much hype with his first reveal. I had just played Mega Man 2, my first MM game. The hype was so real.

Wii Fit Trainer - 100%
I really don't find her boring. The hit multiple sides thing is neat, as is the healing and Sun Salutation. I dunno, I like her and hope she becomes a mainstay.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
:4villager: Villager satisfaction: 85 %
Animal Crossing was probably the biggest Nintendo franchise with no rep, and I really like his moveset, most notably the side B which looks really fun. Though I really dislike some alternate costumes which look ugly IMO.

:4megaman: Mega Man satisfaction: 70 %
It's sad to say this but I didn't know him nor his series before his announcement in SSB4 FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATE and when I see posts that say how he's iconic and awesome, I can only feel guilty for not knowing him before SSB4. Nevertheless, he looks fun to use, and looks like the perfect example of how to use a character's powers and abilities from the original game in Smash. Maybe I'll download some Mega Man games on the eShop to see how cool his games are.
Shulk would probably give me the same impression if I didn't join the Smash speculations, because I didn't know him or Xenoblade until recently. But at least I learned enough about this game before the official annoucement of playable Shulk in SSB4 so I'm kinda excited by his inclusion. I know we're not rating Shulk today but it's just for the sake of comparison.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer satisfaction: 55 %
Yeah really an oddball in Smash, but games like Wii Fit which tried to expand Nintendo's market to non-gamer people are an important part of its history, and it's not like we had a lot of characters from those games. She's a funny addition and looks fun to use, though it's still the kind of character no one requested.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Villager - 75% - While I might not be able to connect to him, I still think he is both deserving and interesting enough to serve as a character.

Mega Man - 90% - I said I would use him as my baseline, and thus I cannot rate him higher. Honestly, the only reason I didn't rate him higher is because I was hoping that someone I would want more would end up being shown off. Sadly, that didn't happen.

WFT - 60% - A good "baseline" character that I would recommend to people beginning to play the game, I honestly have to say she was a decent idea. I feel a few not-so-unique characters have to be included so as to keep the ultra-complex move sets from crowding everyone out.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
:4villager:: 90% I don't think I would've love the Villager without these two things that made me smile after he was revealed, the psychotic side of him and the the Pocket move. The fact you able to put any projectile in your pocket as this character is downright awesome and has some hilarity with it. The many memes that came with Villager after he was revealed is creepy but funny at the same time (Especially when it came to Connen O' Brien's comment about the character. I'm so glad they decided to use the City Folk design, because that's probably the best and sleekest design they couldThe only thing I'm really personally bummed about his inclusion was that he got over Tom Nook, whom I think represented the franchise the best, but oh well maybe next time for the next installment.

:4megaman:: 70% Eh, I could care less. I love the music and gameplay, but I can barely beat any challenge or stage Megaman has with its 10 classic games. I'm not really connected to Megaman, and I'm kinda unimpressed with his moveset (but I love the U-Tilt and F-Smash). The final smash is extremely surprising and the reactions to this were mind blowing (Especially the invitational one). I also love the expressions they gave him, you would normally never see him happy in the game. I think he's a cool addition, but I don't really think he fits my playstyle.

:4wiifit:: 75% I love the fitness trainer, but honestly the fanbase for her is a bit creepy though. All the sexy depictions of her make me creep out, the fact all this art was inspired by a blank yoga instructor is even more creepy. She has a pretty good moveset, but it's nothing special IMO, it's visually different though. Perhaps I need to play as her more to get the feel of her. Until that happens, I'm sorta satisfied with her.

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
:4villager:: 95%
After what Sakurai said years ago, I thought an Animal Crossing rep would be impossible. I was super glad to be wrong. He looks like a lot of fun.

:4megaman:: 100%
I mean, it's Megaman.

:4wiifit:: 85%
Wii Fit Trainer was an awesome surprise. Looking forward to playing as her.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
:4villager: Villager satisfaction: 85 %
Animal Crossing was probably the biggest Nintendo franchise with no rep, and I really like his moveset, most notably the side B which looks really fun. Though I really dislike some alternate costumes which look ugly IMO.

:4megaman: Mega Man satisfaction: 70 %
It's sad to say this but I didn't know him nor his series before his announcement in SSB4 FLAME SHIELD ACTIVATE and when I see posts that say how he's iconic and awesome, I can only feel guilty for not knowing him before SSB4. Nevertheless, he looks fun to use, and looks like the perfect example of how to use a character's powers and abilities from the original game in Smash. Maybe I'll download some Mega Man games on te eShop to see how cool his games are.
Shulk would probably give me the same impression if I didn't join the Smash speculations, because I didn't know him or Xenoblade until recently. But at least I learned enough about this game before the official annoucement of playable Shulk in SSB4 so I'm kinda excited by his inclusion. I know we're not rating Shulk today but it's just for the sake of comparison.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer satisfaction: 55 %
Yeah really an oddball in Smash, but games like Wii Fit which tried to expand Nintendo's market to non-gamer people are an important part of its history, and it's not like we had a lot of characters from those games. She's a funny addition and looks fun to use, though it's still the kind of character no one requested.
Warning, Mega Man games are pretty hard. For a beginner, I'd start with 2 or 10.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
:4villager: 95% While I think the lack of the fishing rod is a missed opportunity, I am so sold on this kid. The Lloid Rocket is one of the most entertaining attacks I've ever used and I didn't even have time to really delve into his other specials when I played at Best Buy. This kid is not my preemptive main for no reason.

:4megaman: 100% Masterfully implemented. I have no intent to main him and I still feel like he's perfect.
:4wiifit: 60% Once the initial novelty wore off she kinda looks meh. Her healing abilities are cool though and she's certainly quirky. She's okay.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
:4villager:: 55% - Really the only newcomer early on I had some excitement for. With his Mr. Game and Watch like wackiness, I might give him a shot. Who knows? My main disappointment is that I would have much rather preferred Tom Nook, or even KK Slider. Oh well, maybe we will get one of them next time. Overall though, he seems like one of the more solid additions, and I'm okay with having him.

:4megaman:: 23% - Oh man, I was hugely disappointed when they announced that this guy would be playable. Why? Well there were many other Capcom representatives that I would have preferred over him. Now sure, he's the Capcom mascot, but I would have liked some of the guys from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 more. Namely Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, or Morrigan.

:4wiifit:: 28% - Eh, she's not the worst that's for sure. She really fits I guess, but her wackiness isn't really special. R.O.B. and Game and Watch were kind of uncontested when they were added, but now she has Villager and probably Duck Hunt Dog to deal with. Heck even Bowser Jr. has it going for him. What made her character so cool in the first place, is being kind of taken away by the more deserving stars around her.

I swear, if Palutena doesn't make top 5 I'm done. (Well I'm leaving either way, but still).

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So, borrowing from last time, I'm just going to rate them all now so that I put characters in proper relation to each other. Arrows indicate change from before... but there isn't much change since we haven't learned that much about most of them since before, and we've only gotten Shulk added. The characters are mostly in the same order and only shifted a couple points here and there.

:4megaman: 100% ↑
I've said it before, Mega Man's move set is great and I've loved the character since Mega Man 2, and I don't even remember when we got MM2. His score was already 100%, but I'm really glad to see his customs probably won't be all variations on the same moves, but actually based off of other Robot Master weapons and Mega Man abilities. As we see with Beat, Palutena's not the only one getting unique customs. So that makes me even more satisfied.

:4shulk: 86%
:4palutena: 78%
:4wiifit: 78%
WFT is WTF, and I like it. I like her shouting encouragement during fights. Her move set is intriguing to me. The healing and boosting and unusual standard attacks on a relatively fast character could be fun. Also, why do we have male and female Robin icons but not female Villager and male WFT icons?

:4robinf: 77% ↑
:rosalina: 76% ↓
:4greninja: 72% ↑
:4littlemac: 64% ↓
:4villager: 62% ↓
He's fine. I'm not a player of the series and his move set doesn't excite me that much (Pocket seems cool though).

:4pacman: 48% ↓

:4mii: 40% ↑
On the same note about icons, shouldn't we have separate Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter icons? Whoever mains Mii Fighters are most likely only going to main one of those...
:4lucina: 22% ↓

We don't have enough info for Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt and Dark Pit... but Dark Pit, at least, is going to be starting with a baseline of 0% because I do not like his inclusion.

Warning, Mega Man games are pretty hard. For a beginner, I'd start with 2 or 10.
@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice Also a lot of them are going on sale for the Super Smashing Sale sometime this month, so don't forget that.
:4megaman:: 23% - Oh man, I was hugely disappointed when they announced that this guy would be playable. Why? Well there were many other Capcom representatives that I would have preferred over him. Now sure, he's the Capcom mascot, but I would have liked some of the guys from Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 more. Namely Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, or Morrigan.
Well, fair point on preferring Phoenix Wright - he's almost exclusively associated with Nintendo platforms. He's definitely not as iconic though. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man - that's the level for 3rd parties this time. But Amaterasu? She debuted on Playstation 2 and only got a port to Wii years later. And Morrigan? She's never even appeared on a Nintendo console!

I'm fine with people not liking Mega Man, but grading Mega Man down because your pipe dreams didn't come true seems a bit weird to me. It's like being disappointed you won $100 because you were hoping to win millions of dollars in the lottery. Mega Man didn't take any Capcom slot. There is only a Mega Man slot which exists because so many people love Mega Man and thought he would be a great fit for Smash (which he has shown himself to be!). Other Capcom characters were never going to get in in the first place, except maybe an outside chance for Phoenix Wright.

Personally, I liked Riki and Dunban as characters better than Shulk... But he's the main character, and he has the Monado, etc. so I knew they would never happen. So I'm not going to be upset about how Shulk "took" their non-existent spots. I'm pleased enough to see Riki as an AT and both as part of Shulk's FS.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So, borrowing from last time, I'm just going to rate them all now so that I put characters in proper relation to each other. Arrows indicate change from before... but there isn't much change since we haven't learned that much about most of them since before, and we've only gotten Shulk added. The characters are mostly in the same order and only shifted a couple points here and there.

:4megaman: 100% ↑
I've said it before, Mega Man's move set is great and I've loved the character since Mega Man 2, and I don't even remember when we got MM2. His score was already 100%, but I'm really glad to see his customs probably won't be all variations on the same moves, but actually based off of other Robot Master weapons and Mega Man abilities. As we see with Beat, Palutena's not the only one getting unique customs. So that makes me even more satisfied.

:4shulk: 86%
:4palutena: 78%
:4wiifit: 78%
WFT is WTF, and I like it. I like her shouting encouragement during fights. Her move set is intriguing to me. The healing and boosting and unusual standard attacks on a relatively fast character could be fun. Also, why do we have male and female Robin icons but not female Villager and male WFT icons?

:4robinf: 77% ↑
:rosalina: 76% ↓
:4greninja: 72% ↑
:4littlemac: 64% ↓
:4villager: 62% ↓
He's fine. I'm not a player of the series and his move set doesn't excite me that much (Pocket seems cool though).

:4pacman: 48% ↓

:4mii: 40% ↑
On the same note about icons, shouldn't we have separate Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner and Mii Swordfighter icons? Whoever mains Mii Fighters are most likely only going to main one of those...
:4lucina: 22% ↓

We don't have enough info for Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt and Dark Pit... but Dark Pit, at least, is going to be starting with a baseline of 0% because I do not like his inclusion.

@ ShinyRegice ShinyRegice Also a lot of them are going on sale for the Super Smashing Sale sometime this month, so don't forget that.
Well, fair point on preferring Phoenix Wright - he's almost exclusively associated with Nintendo platforms. He's definitely not as iconic though. Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man - that's the level for 3rd parties this time. But Amaterasu? She debuted on Playstation 2 and only got a port to Wii years later. And Morrigan? She's never even appeared on a Nintendo console!

I'm fine with people not liking Mega Man, but grading Mega Man down because your pipe dreams didn't come true seems a bit weird to me. It's like being disappointed you won $100 because you were hoping to win millions of dollars in the lottery. Mega Man didn't take any Capcom slot. There is only a Mega Man slot which exists because so many people love Mega Man and thought he would be a great fit for Smash (which he has shown himself to be!). Other Capcom characters were never going to get in in the first place, except maybe an outside chance for Phoenix Wright.
Well I personally I do not care for Mega Man in the first place.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Let's get to rating the Big First Three.

SATISFACTION: 100%
Despite being shot down by Sakurai himself in Brawl, Villager from Animal Crossing got the distinction of being the very first newcomer unveiled for Smash 4, crushing almost every prediction roster out there immediately. He got a very inventive moveset, comprising of the mundane everyday tools used in Animal Crossing, and to great effect. The psycho villager meme, admittedly also contributed to his likeability for me. Being uncontroversial also helps. And so does the fact that we have 8 alternate models to choose from. He's really fulfills all the criteria a good newcomer should have, so he deserves a 100%.

SATISFACTION: 100%
The character who was at the absolute helm of the popularity charts for this game is none other than Capcom's Mega Man. Shown off right after Villager's trailer, it was that one moment when everyone, simply everyone squealed. The ever popular Wily's Castle music from Mega Man 2 only added to the super-hype formula. He remains the sole character of E3 2013 who most people had on their rosters. Moveset wise, he (expectedly) uses the the powers of Robot Masters, made even better due to custom moves, and represents the epitome of character requests. So he gets a 100% too.

SATISFACTION: 75%
If Villager did not send your prediction roster down the drain, Wii Fit Trainer certainly did. Although Wii Fit and the Wii franchise in general was really a Smash hit (pun intended), literally no one expected her. What makes her interesting her focus on Yoga moves and fitness exercises in her moveset, making for a really wacky character. While I definitely took a liking to her, I feel that she is quite over-shadowed by other newcomers. Still, she is a welcome addition to the roster, and represents one side of Nintendo that is usually overshadowed by the more hardcore games.

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
:4villager:- 90%
While he does seem a bit like :gw: for my taste, I think that his series was large enjoy and his playstyle represents the series well.

:4megaman:- 80%
Looks cool. I can't give any higher because I never played a Megaman game.

:4wiifit:- 30%
With the Miis also playable, the Wii series does not exactly need another character. Also, with her playable, it made everybody follow Gematsu and made requests even more insane. Her moveset looks dull and was probably added because MOAR FEMAILS!

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well, ****. Look like I missed the last chance rating.
Time to rate satisfaction I guess
:4megaman: - 110%
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT
MEGA MAN
:4wiifit: - 80%
Wow, a high rating for WFT? What?
Well... I dunno, something about her moveset seems appealing to me. I have yet to play as him/her of course, but I dunno.
:4villager: - 70%
Eh. Fine with the moveset, looks interesting, probably not going to main any time soon though.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Note that in my rating, things like "deserving" and "popular" don't count towards my rating.
I'm selfish when it comes to satisfaction.

Also, my ratings seem to imply I began to hate every character, since the ratings dropped from last time, but this is just a new system (since I no longer wanted to give everybody 50%+ ratings.)

Dutch nicknames incomiiiiiing.

Derpsbewoner 40%

Never played AC, and every derpsbewoner looks ugly (aside from Turnip Topper)
I love the fact though that she (since the Female Turnip is the only one I'll play) has two great projectiles and her charm.

De Blob-ot 0%
I said I was going to be selfish right?
I only played MMII and didn't like it much.
Mega Man is great for the fanboys, since his moveset breathes SUPAH FAITING ROBOT, but for me, it's just a bunch of unuseful projectiles.

Olga Commander 40%
I'm gonna try her together with Villager as my joke characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Note that in my rating, things like "deserving" and "popular" don't count towards my rating.
I'm selfish when it comes to satisfaction.

Also, my ratings seem to imply I began to hate every character, since the ratings dropped from last time, but this is just a new system (since I no longer wanted to give everybody 50%+ ratings.)

Dutch nicknames incomiiiiiing.

Derpsbewoner 40%

Never played AC, and every derpsbewoner looks ugly (aside from Turnip Topper)
I love the fact though that she (since the Female Turnip is the only one I'll play) has two great projectiles and her charm.

De Blob-ot 0%
I said I was going to be selfish right?
I only played MMII and didn't like it much.
Mega Man is great for the fanboys, since his moveset breathes SUPAH FAITING ROBOT, but for me, it's just a bunch of unuseful projectiles.

Olga Commander 40%
I'm gonna try her together with Villager as my joke characters.
Waarom de Nederlandse bijnamen?/Why the Dutch nicknames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom