• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Newcomer Satisfaction:

Dorpsbewoner:
100% - YES. That is all.

Rockman Sockman Robot...man:
100% - I'm not as attached to Mega Man as others beyond playing one of the games a long time ago, but he's still one of the best choices Nintendo could make for 3rd Parties, and it's super refreshing to see a character whose moveset is (literally :troll:) geared almost exclusively towards projectiles and keepaway.

Weirdly Fit Turtle:
100% - All the characters with command buff moves like WFT, Palutena and Shulk sound super interesting, and WFT looks fun to play. It's also a plus that she's such a randomly-chosen character that she really highlights the fun of Smash's unpredictability and franticness.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Newcomer satisfaction:
:4greninja: 100% 10/10 will main
:4shulk: 100% loved xenoblade probably will sub main
:4lucina: 90% since Marth got reworked, she's the old Marth, technically the new Marth, blahblahblah
:4megaman:100% The super fighting robot fighting to save the world!!!
:4pacman: 100% great addition
:4wiifit: 50% I don't really care, and I probably never will
:4robinm: 100% we now have a fourth swordsman Mage dude. So we have Marth, swoll Marth, boob Marth, and magic Marth.
:4littlemac: 100% me gusta boxing
:rosalina: 60% I like her play style, but I don't necessarily like the character
:4villager: 80% would've rather had tom book or Isabelle, but they'll be in ash someday
:4palutena: 100% love the way they added 12 custom moves
:4mii: 10% why spend all that time on the miis when you could've had ice climbers back

Burigu

Smash Ace
Villager :4villager: 50%
I rated him 75% or so last time, but I can't get over his default design, or the other male options, my 1st game was New Leaf so I am fond of taller villagers, this one just look odd to me, I know this is the iconic, but this is about my personal taste. The fact the new male skins don't look that better to me makes me drop my satisfaction towards indifference. Female skins are OK but since I am male I wanted a male skin that I like. I am a fan of Animal Crossing but the design dislike is so strong that leads me to this.

Wii Fit Trainer :4wiifit: 60%
I am ok with WTF characters like WFT FTW she might not be iconic or liked or memorable, but she diversify the franchises represented in the game so I approve her inclusion and like it even more than the Villager mentioned above.

Megaman :4megaman: 70%
Like with the love for King K Rool I feel left outside because everyone and their cousin loves this guy so much, I know he is a gaming icon, but since I have never played any of his games, it's hard for me to really feel hyped by his inclusion

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Waarom de Nederlandse bijnamen?/Why the Dutch nicknames?
I don't know about any other characters in the other languages (other than Luma being Sfavillotto in Italian, man that's cool), but are you gonna sit here and tell us that Dorpsbewoner is anything LESS than the greatest possible name anyone could be given?!?

God bless the Dutch (and Italians). <Sniff...>

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
:4megaman: Mega Man Satisfaction: 100%. :4megaman:
Nintendo unveiled Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS with a bang. Unveiling a character known and requested all around the world in the first trailer was amazing. When news broke of Mega Man in Smash, I almost couldn't believe it. But sure enough, it was real, and the absolutely best case scenario.
And my satisfaction with Mega Man doesn't stop there. Seeing the Mega Man series in such a state of neglect was very upsetting for most Capcom/Mega Man/game fans, and Smash Bros. now has a place for all those crestfallen fans.
Of note was the use of Mega Man's Final Smash in the Invitational Tournament. The roar of the crowd just over seeing Mega Man in action actually brought me to tears, in fact if I tried I could do it again.

This is, simply put, the most overall hyping thing about this game.

:4villager: Villager Satisfaction: 80%. :4villager:
Not a fan of Animal Crossing under any circumstances. However, I think this newcomer was a really good decision. His moveset looks very fun and he represents a series that is very deserving of a character.

:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 80%.:4wiifit:

I'll admit, at first this newcomer flabbergasted me. I was somewhat upset this character was getting a slot (at the time I believed there to be the same amount as Brawl). But she grew on me, especially when I learned of her significance to Nintendo. Her moveset, while somewhat...unoriginal, is pretty fun and silly, as is the character, so I really have no issues.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Let it rain 100%s from me.

Amazing newcomers.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
:4villager: Villager Satisfaction: 100%

With Animal's Crossing success since Brawl I expected an Animal Crossing character. I thought it would be Tom Nook. I am glad they picked Villager. His moveset looks fun and alot of people I know love Animal Crossing (I also enjoy it).

:4megaman: Mega Man Satisfaction: 100%

When Mega Man was annouced I was extremely excited. I never even played Mega Man then. I was happy because one of my close friends wanted him. Since then, I have played Mega Man 1, 2, 3, and am getting 4 soon. It was because of Smash Bros. I now play Mega Man. Plus, at the Smash Tournament the hype regarding Mega Man's Final Smash was amazing. His moveset is incredibly faithful to his games aswell.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer: 55%

At first Wii Fit Trainer was funny and interesting. Now after many more newcomers, she seems very odd. We have characters like Mega Man and Little Mac, who were very popular and unexpected but interesting characters like Villager and Greninja. Wii Fit Trainer's moveset is not as unique as all the others (Minus Lucina, Dr. Mario and Dark Pit).

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
:4villager: Villager Satisfaction: 100%

Previously I had rated him/her slightly lower due to him/her being an overall fantastic choice for a newcomer that I just wasn't that interested in playing as. Seeing Villager in action across various demos has changed my mind on that. Villager looks incredibly fun to play as, and as a big fan of the Animal Crossing series, I can't wait to finally play as him/her.

:4megaman: Mega Man Satisfaction: 90%

Mega Man is probably one of the best newcomers we've seen in this game, considering how much of a gaming icon he is and just how popular of a request he was. That being said, I have no interest in his series or his character, so I don't think I can give a 100% satisfaction rating.

(For clarification, my method of rating satisfaction is 90% based on whether or not I think the character is a good choice, and 10% based on whether or not I actually like the character).

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 80%

Definitely one of the stranger choices we've seen so far, but as a representative of a big, new "series" of Nintendo, and one that appeals to an entirely different crowd than most characters, I think she's a pretty good choice, though not one of the best.

andimidna

Smash Master
Makes sense that we're rating them by pairs of 3, that's how they've been revealed for the most part
chorus men confirmed
But I bet Rosalina's score is probably going to go down since she's going up against Little Mac and Greninja instead of these 3... oh well...

I'm just going to put things general for now. Hopefully I can put more later.

Villager: 75%
All-around good addition, deserving series, best choice from that series, and has a quirky, unique moveset. Probably won't main, but he looks great.

Mega Man: 75%
Great trailer, very hype. I like all of he references in his moveset, but his playstyle... I just don't think it works very well. Still, this is where the E3 2013 hype came from, respect.

Wii Fit Trainer: 80%
Hahaha, I was so pissed when I first saw this. But she's hilarious. I can't believe this exists, and they gave her a moveset that made complete sense. It's not even that quirky of a moveset. It fits very well. I love watching the reaction video of when her trailer was first shown on the show floor. And how everybody was faked out, thinking it was Wii Fit U. I'm not sure how much I'll play as her, but I like how she moves.

These might change a bit later. I'll be re-watching all of their trailers for hype fuel :p

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Villager
Satisfaction: 100%
Animal Crossing was EASILY the biggest Nintendo franchise without a playable character, and the Villager fits the bill very well. When he was first announced, I had never played any of his games, but now I've sunk a good amount of time into New Leaf, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. He looks like he'll be an insanely fun character
Mega Man
Satisfaction: 100%
Same boat as Villager, I hadn't played any of his games at the time of his announcement. I've played most of 1 and 2 now, and he completely deserves to be here. i never thought ed' actually get in, (I kinda saw him as Geno, popular, but not happening). I'm glad he got in

Wii Fit Trainer
Satisfaction: 95%
What a hilarious addition. She also looks like a fun fighter, I never thought I'd say this, but she's looking like main material

D

Deleted member

Final Newcomer Satisfaction? This is a very sad day.

:4villager: Villager - 80%: He looks kind of fun to use, but he's probably my least hyped newcomer, and I'm not a very big Animal Crossing fan. I'm glad he's playable though. Animal Crossing is pretty big, and definitely should have had a character.

:4megaman: Mega Man - 85%: Unpopular opinion time! I have no attachment to Mega Man. Regardless, he looks to be extremely unique, being dependent on projectiles like no other character before, and I'm happy for the people who wanted him.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer - 88%: I didn't like the yoga game on Wii Fit, but this character is hilarious. I approve, even if I have no intentions of playing her.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm very satisfied with the roster, so I would be giving out a lot of hundreds. But that would be no fun, so I'll be scoring on a gradient. Everyone over 80% would be a hundred, but this would be my scores for them in relation to each other. I tried to give no character the same score.

:4megaman:95%
I'm sure like every kid growing up with an NES, I thought Mega Man was a Nintendo character. He appeared only on Nintendo consoles, he was awesome, and he jumped a lot. So it is very fitting that he is in Smash. The most worthy third party character purely based on his appearances.

And for me, by far the best designed character. He moves exactly like the NES Mega Man. Its a better representation of Mega Man than we saw in MvC. And that Mega Man Final Smash? Best Final Smash ever. It shows you that Sakurai really cares about the Mega Man franchise, and much more than Capcom does currently. I can only hope this lights a fire under them to do something with the character.
:4villager:83%
Animal Crossing is a main Nintendo series worthy of representation. It's hugely popular and strangely addicting. Similarly, I have the same feelings toward the Villager's design. His attacks seem like a lot of fun references to AC, and he was the most fun character to play as in the demo.
:4wiifit: 80%
At first, I was like WTF? And then I was like WFT! Awesome inclusion and great way to represent one of Nintendo's best selling series. The Wii generation was casually mind, but still good old Nintendo fun.

Both the Villager and WFT get points off for not showing the dual versions of the characters.

Spoilers on the rest of my scores:

:4lucina: 100%
:4robinf: 99%
:4megaman:95%
:4littlemac: 90%
:4palutena: 85%
:4shulk: 84%
:4villager:83%
:4greninja: 82%
:4wiifit: 80%
:rosalina: 75%
:4pacman: 71%
:4mii: 70%

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Might as well go through
Villager - 100%
an wacky fun moveset that involves everything except the kitchen sink from animal crossing, definitely came from an series that deserved and is welcomed so to the smash family
Plus the meme is funny and creepy

Mega man - 100%
Heavy reliance projectile moveset. Seems very interesting. and is the most wanted newcomer and arguably the most deserved, megaman been given justice after the past years from capcom.
Even if I'm not certain I'm going to play him much, he is definitely the best newcomer, and will rightfully stay that way (till the next game where everyone forgets the megaman hype)
Wii fit trainer - 50%
Well. . . Shes dull to be honest, not in an negative way but she's not very interesting anymore.
Probably the only reason she's not below 50 is because she will always be the troll character/sakurai's greatest move ever and will always remind you every time you look at the roster.
That's an positive. . . I guess. . . Maybe?. . . I don't even know.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

:4villager:: 100%
Huge AC fan, I've waited too long for this.

:4megaman:: 20%
Mega Man is great, but he doesn't really deserve to be in the game.

:4wiifit:: 1%
Only real reason I don't hate on the Wii Fit Trainer is bcuz both genders can be used.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
:4villager: : 100%
My 2nd most wanted newcomer, I've wanted him for so long. I've bought every Animal Crossing game when they first came out and I love the series. His moveset is almost how I imagined it to be. He looks so fun! Disappointed we can't use our own villager though, my new leaf and city folk villagers are drop dead gorgeous. Not to mention almost all of his palettes are horrendous and terrifying,

:4megaman: : 60%
Never thought of him joining but I can see why so many people wanted him. I really like the variety of moves he has, but doesn't really wow me.

:4wiifit: :80%
Hated the idea at first, but I've grown onto it. She looks really good in a competitive standpoint and plain fun in casuals. I was impressed on how they were able to make a nice moveset out of her. She still creeps me out though.

Hammer Man

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4038-6681-4351
Animal Crossing deserved a rep, and it got a rep. End of Chapter. (I should've played Animal Crossing)

:4megaman:: 90%
Liked his games and I like him as a character.

:4wiifit:: 99%
Winner of the Unexpected-Joke-Character-of-The-Year Award. Unexpected reveal done right.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Villager: 100%
I wanted an Animal Crossing character, but didn't think one would happen. Glad I was wrong, he's still the newcomer that I'm excited to try out the most and thus is the newcomer that I'm the most satisfied about; at this point, I think only Ridley would be able to take that title away from him.

Mega Man: 100%

I don't care for Mega Man's games. Of the franchises in Smash that have a playable character that I've actually played, I'd probably rank his among my three least favorites. With that being said, I still always thought he would be a great choice for a third party, and I think he turned out fantastic.

Wii Fit Trainer: 30%

A bit too unexpected for my tastes, and out of everyone officially revealed plus those in the leak, she's the character I'm the least interested in playing as. Not my least favorite overall though for other reasons.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Villager: 70%
Still mostly neutral on him.

Mega Man: 100%
Like I said before, I really like how he transitioned from his games into Smash due to all of the nods and moves that reference his series. It's a really nice culmination of everything the Blue Bomber has done over the years, and I think he's one of the best newcomers because of it.

WFT: 25%
She hasn't really left an impression on me, her moveset is rather bland and she doesn't stand out much from my perspective. So I'm not that interested in her.

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have never done this before, so I'm just going off of my rate the chances knowledge. If im off in some way plz tell me.can.

Villager: 60%
Better then some of the characters s far, but not all that bad, I just overall don't care. Chance of maining 4/10

Mega man: 40%
I was one of the few in the past who I really didn't care for him. When he came out I was like "ok that's cool I guess" and I remained about 50 or so. Eventually when I really got a true in depth look at him, he pretty much failed me. Not a character I care for anymore, but he is pretty unique so i'll give him that boost. Chance of maining 3/10

Wii fit trainer: 85%
Am I the only one who at the beginning thought :"wow what an unexpected and cool character that fits greatly into smash, nd the moves are really unique!" No? Just me? ok then... i'll go back to my corner now then. Chance of maining 7/10

Suggestions: Rate their chances satisfaction

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
Villager Satisfaction: 90% - Thing about this new iteration of Super Smash Bros. is that it's broadened my horizons to incredibly bizarre and unique choices. Back in the days of Brawl, Mr. Resetti was the only character from Animal Crossing I wanted playable, not to mention, much like Sakurai, I initially couldn't see the village boy from the games fighting. But dang, if he doesn't have a lot going for him as a playable character! Plus, Animal Crossing is a popular series for Nintendo, so it's nice to see some proper representation in Super Smash Bros.

Mega Man Satisfaction: 100% - Although I wasn't begging or demanding Mega Man be in Super Smash Bros. like most other people were, I was never against the idea and outright loved it, to the point where he was in my Top 10 most-wanted character list for a while. I know I flipped my lid when he was initially announced along with the Villager, and he fits Super Smash Bros. so well, too! There's just literally nothing bad I can say about him!

Wii Fit Trainer Satisfaction: 100% - I honestly wish I could give a higher percent just to balance out all the negativity she gets... Really, though...

I reacted to her, pretty much how anyone would react to her... with a pure genuine "WTF?!" After recovering from the shock, I laughed and applauded the audacity of this choice, and that not only is it such and unexpected choices, but it works so well, given that she represent a popular series of... devices/programs, I guess I'll call them for now. Plus her moveset is so ingenius the way she attacks by doing stretches and yoga poses, it just makes so much sense to me. I love it, I just love it!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4villager:Villager: 100%
Been excited for Villager since their trailer. Will definitely be the first character I play as.

:4megaman:Megaman: 70%
Glad that he's in it and he'll probably be great, though I probably won't play as him that much.

:4wiifit:Wii Fit Trainer: 60%
Better than I thought it was at start, though it's still a bit bland.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
:4villager:100%- Good character, good implementation

:4megaman: 100%- Everyone wanted him. I wanted him. His trailer was hype. He looks like a fun and unique character. Not sure if he'll be any good, but we'll see.

:4wiifit: 70%- A popular series that deserved to be represented in this game. I'm still not sure if I like her, but I like yoga and exercise so I guess she's ok. Maybe she'll get a 100% after the game is out.

Groose

Smash Champion
I know I've typed out pretty lengthy explanations for my satisfaction scores before, but I'm not going to copy and paste. Instead, I'm going to be giving each of the newcomers one more in-depth look and explaining my scores more thoroughly than ever before. My opinion of all of the newcomers is pretty much locked in stone from now until I actually get to play them, so these explanations are pretty much my final thoughts on each character's inclusion. Without further ado...

Animal Crossing is one of my favorite franchises. I think I've logged more hours on it than any other Nintendo franchise, to be honest. I consistently played Wild World every day for at least a half hour for just over three years in a row. I literally mean "every day." The only day I missed was when I was stuck in the hospital overnight after a surgery; I even tried to play, but I couldn't focus well on the screen, and the IV made it pretty impossible to hold up my DS.

Yeah. I was that dedicated.

Anyway, I also played City Folk and the original briefly, and I played New Leaf quite a bit. On that one I went about a half hour a day, but only for six months. I gave it up to run Rate Their Chances, actually. I couldn't handle two daily commitments like that, and I figured this game was more important because there are people other than just me involved with it. Sorry, Angus. You were a good friend.

Anyway, I'm sure that you can tell that I wanted an Animal Crossing character playable. My eyes were set on Tom Nook, and I even made a moveset for him. He would use his shovel to bury opponents, grab with the bug net, use his axe for ultra-powerful attacks. I may not have gotten the character I wanted, but I got the moveset--and it was even better than I had expected. Who could have anticipated the pocket? It's not only a fun attack, but it also serves as an amazing little nod to the Animal Crossing games. I had to laugh when I first saw it!

Despite loving how Villager played when I first saw him, I was a bit miffed because I thought he lacked character. I no longer hold this point of view. He's wacky in a very Animal Crossing-esque way, and his alternate costumes add a great deal of personality and charm. I'm still deciding what one of them I'll pick.

I've claimed for some time that I'll probably main Villager. While I still am considering it, I'm not so confident in that assertion anymore. That said, I'm definitely still interested in maining him, and he'll definitely be making it into my rotation even if he doesn't mesh up perfectly with the way I like to play.

:4megaman:: 100%
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT! FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!

Yeah, it's freaking Mega Man. I'm not the most fervent fan of his franchise (I've loved the classic series games that I've played, but I haven't really gotten into many of the other series), but he's mostly drawn from the games I've played, so I still understand just how amazing his moveset is. Seriously, every attack he has is directly from the games! That's insane! I feel Mega Man was easily the best-handled of the newcomers.

There’s not much more I can add about Mega Man. He’s just a really great choice with really great execution. He’s objectively the perfect newcomer, and the fact that I do enjoy the Mega Man games makes it even better.

:4wiifit:: 33%
When Wii Fit Trainer was revealed, most of Smashboards and GameFAQs hadn't even heard of her before. However, I had--I played Wii Fit pretty consistently for a couple of months a few years back. Even though I knew who she was, I still wasn't particularly pleased with her inclusion--and that viewpoint is one I still hold today. After a year and a half, I still can't say that I'm happy she made the cut.

There are three main reasons I dislike her. The first is that I'm still not really blown away by her moveset. A lot of people commend her for attacking with yoga moves, but I personally don't find that principle to be overly interesting. Others celebrate how her hitboxes are on both sides of her for some of her attacks; I just point out that characters like Mr. Game and Watch have been doing this with their moves for a while.

Secondly, I don’t think Wii Fit Trainer does a very good job at bringing the charm of her series to the table. Where I think someone like Viillager really captures the spirit of the franchise they came from, Wii Fit Trainer just seems too… devoid of personality.

Finally, she’s a character that no one wanted. I don’t mind niche characters with small fanbases getting in, but Wii Fit Trainer had no fanbase. It just rubs me the wrong way that someone like her could get in a heavily-fanservice based game.

Overall, I just feel like Wii Fit Trainer is just a pretty poor choice with a pretty poor moveset. Still, I’m sure I’ll play as her quite a bit. Why? She’s the ultimate troll character, and my friends will definitely have to “feel the burn.” That alone makes me give her 33% satisfaction.

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Newcomer Satisfaction
85.18% Villager
85.03% Mega Man
65.31% Wii Fit Trainer

OH MAN! One day into Newcomer Satisfaction and we've already had our first upset. VILLAGER went on a rampage yesterday and cleanly pocketed first place. Time will tell if he can hold onto that lead...but with the Super Fighting Robot already defeated, it seems that his path is as open as it will get.

Oh, and Wii Fit Trainer scored in the 60% range. Poor girl.

Anyway, today is Rosalina, Little Mac, and Greninja. All three are pretty darn popular; will one of them top Villager, or are they too scared of that look in his eye to try?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
:rosalina:45%:i like how she battle but i dont like having a mario kart 8 roster in ssb4 who is next daisy? NO
:4littlemac:100%:he is now my 2nd main he is the only charcter in my wishlist who did make it in SSB4 as playable and i played punch out
:4greninja:76%:he is my starter in pokemon x i loved his style but its not very important for me in SSB4
:4pacman::4littlemac::4mii: :mewtwopm::roypm:(still hoping for roy DLC):rob::wolf::4falcon::4mario:<but those charcters are more important for me

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Rosalina: 75%

Little Mac: 100%

Greninja: 70%

I can only really see Robin outperforming Villager at this point.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
:4littlemac:- 70%*, I'm happy for his fans and think he's a deserving character. I like some of his moves, like his forward special. His KO punch reminds me of Playstation All-Stars, a game that I enjoyed. Also, giving him strong ground game and weak air game is a polarizing playstyle that really shakes things up in a good way.
*edit- I've lowered my rating throughout the day because the more I think about other characters I wanted the less I care for his inclusion. Still positive overall, though.

:rosalina:- 100%, Love her. Great moveset and a great character. That storybook time in SMG was really touching. Sooo happy with the Mario newcomers this round. We may not have gotten Paper Mario, but Bowser Jr. and Rosalina are more than satisfactory :substitute:s, speaking of which...
:4greninja:- 150%, This was a brilliant choice. His moveset is exactly the kind I like (swift, acrobatic, diverse, presumably strong air-game). Right now it's a competition between him and WFT as my #1 main, but it almost certainly will be one of them. The only reason I rated him lower than WFT is because I wish they had done something more creative for his up-special - it honestly looks exactly the same as Pikachu's. Oh, yeah, and I looove his voice :happysheep:

Re-capping for reference:
:4wiifit:- 200%
:4villager:- 100%
:4megaman:- 100%

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Dammit! Missed a day! >_<

Oh well. As it turns out, my thoughts on today's three haven't changed much since a couple months ago. Anything new I have to say is colored and italicized.

:rosalina: Rosalina & Luma: 90% (No change)
Talk about your surprises. So much of the discussion about Mario newcomers was focused on Toad and Waluigi and Bowser Jr. But instead, Rosalina came flying in...and I think the roster is that much more interesting for it.

I don't get the Rosalina hate. She may be newer than many other Mario characters, but she's become very well liked in a short time, in no small part to her backstory and the means through which she tells it. She's (sort of) a spellcaster, rare in Smash, and the series' first puppeteer character. Her ability to direct the Luma around and have it use its own unique attacks alongside her gives her the ability to do things the Ice Climbers (where Nana is more a familiar than anything else) can't.

We haven't even seen Rosalina's full potential yet. I bet once fall comes around and Rosalina players start figuring out how to utilize the Luma, we'll see some truly impressive stuff.
I'm still as interested in Rosalina as ever. I feel like we've barely scratched the surface at the ridiculous things she can do using the Luma, and I'm still looking forward to giving her a look as a secondary.

:4littlemac: Little Mac: 60% (Changed from 65%)
I wasn't huge on all the support for him leading into the February Direct, because...I wasn't sure how they'd build an interesting moveset for him. Just like with the villager, I was neutral on seeing him make it, and just like the Villager, I ended up impressed by what they managed to do with him. Who knew you could get so much mileage out of punching things?

Little Mac is another newcomer that feels thematically whole. He's based entirely around boxing techniques, with powerful up-close attacks complemented by ways to approach, shrug off damage, and dodge opponents' moves in order to use those attacks. He sucks in the air and even more so offstage because why would a boxer need to train for that?

He's a very straightforward character...which is why I think I never got that hyped about him. It's important to have some simple characters, but I just like more intricate and complex ones, you know?
I've actually cooled off a little on Mac since then...and I'm not entirely sure why. I still think he's a thematically solid character with a unique playstyle, and while I'm not interested in using him, I can understand those who are. Maybe I'm just burnt out a little, between all the Smash news in the last couple weeks and everything that's gone on in real life...

:4greninja: Greninja: 80% (Changed from 85%)
Like a true ninja, no one saw him coming. Greninja swooped in to take over the niche of a water user that Squirtle (apparently) left open, and wow, is he an improvement. From his signature Water Shuriken to swords made of water to other Pokemon moves to classic ninja techniques to the memetic photorealistic Substitute doll, Greninja's moves ooze creativity. It's even more impressive since Sakurai himself figured out how Greninja would work while he was still concept art, used moves from a movepool that didn't exist yet (Shadow Sneak didn't make it on the Froakie line at all...yet), and programmed most of his animations in one night.

There's one thing about Greninja that bugs me, though...the voice. I'm not a fan of anime style Poke-speak, and the version used in the demo sticks out like a sore thumb.
Like with Mac, I'm not quite as big on Greninja as before, and probably for the same reasons. He's still one of my favorite newcomers, though, and I might end up using him as a secondary, depending on who else gets in eventually. I'll tolerate the voice. >_>

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
:rosalina: 60%

My biggest beef against Rosalina was that I thought she had gotten in over my preferred Mario character, Bowser Jr. I now know this is not the case :D Unfortunately, my main problem with her still stands, I can already tell I will probably not enjoy playing with her. I am awful with puppet/duo characters, which she obviously is. But she looks like an interesting character, and who knows, I may grow to be good with her. It will just take a very long time.

Also, Luma is adorable. And I like adorable!

:4littlemac: 70%

I have no experience with Punch Out whatsoever, so I have no real attachment to the character. But he looks kind of fun to play as, and I already know that K. O. punch is going to be oh so satisfying to pull off. I have a hard time getting attached to him though, a human boxer isn't that interesting of a character to me (But still leagues better then a human yoga teacher :p )

I also don't like how weak he is in the air, I'd much prefer a character that was good in the air but bad on the ground *cough* Ridley *cough*

:4greninja: 100%

I'm STILL overjoyed that this Pokemon was included. Greninja is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, up in the top three with Sceptile and Lucario. As one of the few Smash characters that I've actually been able to play as, I already know that he's going to be one of my preferred characters. I love his design, I love his moveset, I love his playstyle, I like everything about him! I mean, come on, he's a freaking water frog ninja that throws shurikens! What's not to love?

Now if I could just get Sceptile in as well...

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
:rosalina:: 90%
I really wasn't expecting her, so it was a neat surprise. She looks really interesting and fun to play as, and with her popping up as a regular Mario character nowadays, she's really grown on me.

:4littlemac:: 100%
For sure, my most wanted newcomer.

:4greninja:: 100%
I was on team Froakie ever since the Kalos starters were shown. When Greninja was revealed in X and Y, I couldn't be happier with the design. I never would've guessed he'd make it into Smash. I am so glad I was wrong. He's really become one of my favorite Pokemon.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
:rosalina:: 95%

My Gosh, a puppetmaster just seems like such a fun idea for a character, and Rosalina herself was one of my favorite parts of Super Mario Galaxy (the story of her and the Lumas is mainly what gave the game such a stunning storyline, something that's exceedingly rare in Mario platformers.). Though Bowser Jr. was always my preferred choice for a Mario newcomer Rosalina fit the bill almost just as well, and I never really had any salt about her getting in over Junior, mostly thanks to her moveset. Plus, Junior's known to be in now too, so any salt I would've still had would definitely been gone by now.

:4littlemac:: 95%

Again, mostly happy because he had a really strong fan following in support, I really thought he deserved to be in. I'm definitely satisfied with his moveset myself though. Usually I do use aerials with just about any character quite a lot though, so playing as a ground-based tank should be an interesting change of pace, whether it's one that I truly enjoy or not.

:4greninja:: 100%

Just gonna say one more time.....that Greninja's reveal BLEW MY EVER LOVING MIND. I didn't think of Wii Fit Trainer at all prior to her reveal, but I did think of Greninja many times, as it and it's first form Froakie became instant favorites of mine when they were first unveiled for X/Y....I never thought he had a chance in all of hell, I jumped in shock and pure joy when he was actually revealed at the end of the Direct. I said nothing but "GRENINJA!" at he top of my lungs when he showed up and then remained sitting speechless and staring in awe for the rest of the trailer. I used to want Mewtwo back more than any other Pokemon but I could live without Mewtwo now that I have my Greninja. It just makes me too happy to fully express in words, and I think a part of that isn't just because I love it so much, but also because the reveal came as such an unbelievable shock to me.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Time for the next three.

SATISFACTION: 100%
Poor Rosalina had to constantly face detractors saying that she would be nothing more than a mere Peach clone. And add the fierce, fierce competition from fellow Mario characters like Toad, Bowser Jr, and Waluigi. Yet Rosalina managed to trump all competition with a puppeteer moveset that set her apart from every character on the roster. As for me, I really, really wanted a Mario newcomer (Sakurai gave me too much there, admittedly), and Rosalina was the first newcomer that I deeply cared about. All of my yes.

SATISFACTION: 100%
After Mega Man, the second widely predicted character to join the cast. Everyone thought he was a shoo-in ever since his franchise was rebooted in 2009, and the Boxing Ring in the E3 trailer was widely speculated to be his home stage. And we were right on the money. The thing I loved about Mac's reveal was that he turned out to be eerily similar to the ideas users had come up with in the Little Mac thread - the KO meter, being stronger on the ground and heck, even his intro line. That doesn't mean he is boring though. As Sakurai stated, he is an exceedingly fresh character.

SATISFACTION: 90%
The second (or third) character to ravage everyone's predictions. Nobody expected the (although popular) ninja frog from a game that was released only in October last year. As for me, having not played X/Y was the reason why I didn't care from him initially, and the Mewtwo teasing in his trailer was a turn-off. But, I've warmed up to him, partly because he is here to stay, and also because he represents something outside of Gen I of Pokemon. Another reason is his rather solid moveset, which is simple to pick up, with no gimmicks attached. Oh, his trailer is still my favourite to date (you can't top the Mario vs. Charizard scene), and Greninja'd is a word.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I'm quite surprised that Villager beat Mega Man. Wasn't Mega Man #1 every time before? :sadsheep: Some Mega Man haters stopped by I guess, different mix of people. It's ok, I know he's actually the most hype newcomer for most people :) Villager's reveal didn't get the same nerdgasm response that you can see on YouTube for Mega Man.

Same thing as before, just with comments on today's characters.

:4megaman: 100% ↑
:4shulk: 86%
:4palutena: 78%
:4wiifit: 78%
:4robinf: 77% ↑
:rosalina: 76% ↓
I'm a little less interested in her than before. I still like her as a character and as an inclusion, I'm just thinking I'll probably not be very good with her (as I'm not good with Ice Climbers or Olimar either).

:4greninja: 72% ↑
I go back and forth on him. He seems cool enough, and the move set is appealing, but he lacks a little something.

:4littlemac: 64% ↓
Little Mac is still somewhat boring to me. I don't tend to use heavily ground-based characters, but I don't think we've had one like Little Mac before. He might be fun to play as nonetheless. Seems like his lack of air game might cause problems for him on stages where your opponent can jump from platform to platform to avoid you.

:4villager: 62% ↓
:4pacman: 48% ↓
:4mii: 40% ↑
:4lucina: 22% ↓

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Rosalina: Satisfaction: 100%

She is my planned main after all. While I was torn on her during the first couple months after she was revealed, sometime after the april direct, I started really liking the idea of Rosalina.

Rosalina is an awesome character in the Galaxy games. As well as being very pretty. Then theres her fantastic move set which I can't wait to get started on learning. A puppeteer character sounds incredibly fun. I also love lumas. Before I became a teenager and when Rosalina was a "yucky girl", Lumas were just the best things ever.

I can't state it enough, I can't wait to play more of her.

Overall, I'm more satisfied with her then when she was first revealed.

Little Mac:
Satisfaction: 65%

Little Mac wasn't a character I was interested in. Then he showed in that trailer and I was excited again...then back to ok. Then I saw the Smash direct and saw wireframe mac and was like WOW. I'm pretty much back to "Oh ok."

I don't know. He just doesn't appeal to me much. Especially with having almost non-existent air game.

He has basically stayed the same for me.

Greninja:
75%

When I first saw Greninja, it was one of the hypest thing. Now, he has gone down a bit, but I still think he is cool.

Greninja's ninja like play style is just so appealing. I'm glad the roster didn't up being "Brawl + mew two."

Went down a bit, but is still pretty cool. :3

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Not in top form today, I'll keep it brief.

Rosalina
100%
She seems nice

Little Mac
80%
He seems ok, but probably the newcomer I'll use the least

Greninja
100%
Awesome pokemon newcomer makes me hyped

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Rosalina: 100%
Love the character. Always have, always will.

Little Mac: 0%
Ya'll know at this point that I don't like the addition at all.

Greninja: 70% Chance
Water types are cool but he reeks of GameFreak bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom