• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I suppose we can always put an asterisk by the Shulk and Bowser Jr scores... *Post-leak ratings.

If you're worried about it being "cheating."

Groose

Smash Champion
So, I've done some pondering and listened to some feedback, and I think I've determined what is best for the health of the game.
1. We'll spend two days rating the characters that have been leaked. So, Shulk/DuckHunt/Bowser Jr. day and Dark Pit/Dr. Mario day.

2. We'll do a thing called "nomination cleanup" where we finish off the stuff that was really close to the top of the nominations list. About three or four days long.

3. I'll see if there is any last-minute stuff people were dying to rate, and we can make a day or two out of that.

4. We'll go into pre-launch mode just a little lated. This means final satisfaction scores for confirmed newcomers, review of the game as a whole, last minute thoughts, establishment of the RTC Regulars friend code swap, and a special present to you that I've been working on.

Sound good? If I don't get too many complaints, I'll go through with this when I get back from Spanish class.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, I've done some pondering and listened to some feedback, and I think I've determined what is best for the health of the game.
1. We'll spend two days rating the characters that have been leaked. So, Shulk/DuckHunt/Bowser Jr. day and Dark Pit/Dr. Mario day.

2. We'll do a thing called "nomination cleanup" where we finish off the stuff that was really close to the top of the nominations list. About three or four days long.

3. I'll see if there is any last-minute stuff people were dying to rate, and we can make a day or two out of that.

4. We'll go into pre-launch mode just a little lated. This means final satisfaction scores for confirmed newcomers, review of the game as a whole, last minute thoughts, establishment of the RTC Regulars friend code swap, and a special present to you that I've been working on.

Sound good? If I don't get too many complaints, I'll go through with this when I get back from Spanish class.
How many would we be rating for the tops and the last minute days?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
What about the supposed additional characters? One list was the cut characters (aside from PT's Pokemon) and Chorus Men. It's justifiable to skip that since the leaker said it was fake. But the other list was Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Impa, Mach Rider... That might be BS too. Perhaps we could rate them as one item to make it easier...

andimidna

Smash Master

I think we should rate Mewtwo, Ridley, Dixie Kong, Impa, Mach Rider, and the Chorus Men eventually too... but that part of the leaks just became a lot more questionable.
We'll have all the time in the world for satisfaction ratings. I just hope we get to re-rate those that need them before stopping forever. The story of the Smash 4 Leaks isn't over yet.

What about the supposed additional characters? One list was the cut characters (aside from PT's Pokemon) and Chorus Men. It's justifiable to skip that since the leaker said it was fake. But the other list was Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Impa, Mach Rider... That might be BS too. Perhaps we could rate them as one item to make it easier...
The likelihood of Mewtwo compared to the likelihood of Ridley compared to the likelihood of Mach Rider just isn't the same (to most people). And I'd bet very few would rank them all equally.
Each have very different resumes, even with certain leaks.
So while these characters should all be rated, it shouldn't be as something like "Ninka Leak characters"
I think we have the time, honestly.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Maybe have one day dedicated to just stages, another for just songs, etc?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Still think it's more interesting to do ninka leak characters: Mewtwo, Dixie, Ridley and Chorus Kids.

I'm at the point where to me that's where the remaining mystery is.

Morbi

Scavenger
I just read the thread title, but I have not seen any posts rating in regards to the topic at hand, so if we are done with that, I apologize... ignore this. I just came here to rate the "Smash 4 Outsells Brawl" topic. That one is hilarious!

Smash 4 Outsells Brawl Chance: 0.1%

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... haha... ha... haha... hee hee.

Smash 4 Outsells Brawl Want: 100%

Even though it is a pipe-dream, I really want Smash 4 to be more successful than all of the previous entries combined. I love this franchise so much and this game is looking like the best title in the series.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

This feels like a completely different game since when I left before...

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Unlockable Taunts
7.44% chance
37.72% want

You know, I've always been a fan of the taunts where the characters talk. I'm so thankful that Shulk talks in his taunt, and I'm also glad that it sounds like he's voiced by the guy from Xenoblade. If you believe the leak, that is. We'll discuss that in a minute.

SSB4 Outsells Brawl
53.83% chance
81.72% want

WHAT? How did this NOT hit 100% want? Why on this good dear Grooseland would you not want the game to do well? Do you not want to see future installments in the franchise? Really? Really? REALLY!?!

City Trial Stage
7.77% chance
35.11% want

It may have had a very low chance, but luck is on its side--it's possibly the first concept ever to score the prestigious triple sevens. You know, I have no memory of something getting triple sixes... did that ever happen? If so, it proves that it's time for this game to end. I have impeccable memory, and when I can't memorize something that I've poured hundreds of hours into, it proves that things are getting out of hand.
Right. So, it's time for you all to listen to the Groosenator for a bit. This leak has divided us as a community. Some want to talk about the leak; others want to accept it as a fact and move onwards to new things. I feel it's very important that we stick together, so I'm going to aim to please both of the camps that we have been split into. I'm aware that compromise doesn't always work, but I'm confident that we can make it work.

Another thing to note--my goal was to have the game past its chance ratings before the leaks started pouring in; that is why things were set to wrap up September 1st. I still want things to wrap up soon before more stuff leaks, so I'm still pushing to end major ratings a bit before launch. Still, I'm trying to fit in as much as possible while doing that.

Finally, the nominations and predictions system is just about finished. It's always been something that's been better for long-term than short-term, so it really doesn't have much of a place heading into the end. We'll rate nine things that were near the top, but that's about all we can do. If we didn't get to rate your last concept, I apologize--but please understand that the game leaking is beyond my control.

Also, this means the end of @ Smasher 101 Smasher 101 's active management role with the thread. I'd like for all of you to give this guy a hand, as he really saved the predictions aspect of the game. I don't think I would have been able to carry through with it all the way to now, and chances are I would have cut a very fun and important part of the game. Smasher, though you've no longer a need to keep updating, you're still entitled to boss the rest of these goons around if you need to; you're a trusted administrator of this thread now and always. I suppose it'd be best to leave your post unedited for future generations to witness, but that is for you to decide.

So, our upcoming schedule will look like this:

Projected Update Schedule
Day 315: Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., and Shulk
Day 316: Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and More Newcomers
Day 317: Use Your Villager/Robin, "Destiny," and Parebo and Satebo
Day 318: Jill Valentine, "Moonstruck Blossom," and Galacta Knight/Dark Met Knight Costumes
Day 319: Three Things That We'll Decide In A Democratic Fashion (Probably People Like Impa and Dixie and Stuff)
Day 320: The Last Three Things That We'll Ever Rate In Chance; Decided In A Democratic Fashion
Day 321-September 13: Newcomer Satisfaction, Discussion of RTC, Creation of Social and Friend Code Swap, Game Over Present

So, yeah. Please rate Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser. Jr., and Shulk in chance and want. Feel free to take into account the leak. Obviously.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Smash 4 Outsells Brawl Chance: 0.1%

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... haha... ha... haha... hee hee.
SSBB sold 12.12 million copies, and is the 38th best-selling game of all-time. There were about 101 million Wiis sold. So, after all these years, about 11% of the install base had a copy of Brawl.

There are currently 45 million 3DSs sold, and it isn't unreasonable to assume that with Smash and Pokemon on the market this fall, plus the fact that holidays in general mean more sales, it'll go up to just over 50 million.

If we go with the estimate being the same attach rate that Brawl had, that alone is half of Brawl's total copies already, not accounting for further sales into 2015 and throughout the 3DS lifespan. Also, unlike the Wii, it is not uncommon for households to have multiple 3DSs, and given the nature of the game, households with multiple 3DSs will be encouraged to purchase a copy for each owner, so they can play with each other.

Think how many of those Wiis were in nursing homes and businesses, or for families or people who were only interested in Wii Sports/Play/Fit. I'm not saying a majority, but a large chunk of consumers didn't treat the Wii as a gaming console so much as a fitness/minigame machine. The 3DS doesn't suffer this "casual" (I don't mean this to be derogatory towards the Wii) treatment/reputation by consumers nearly as much, meaning the 3DS version of the game interests a larger percentage of the 3DS install base than Brawl did the Wii's.

The 3DS version is also available digitally, and is starting at a price of $40, cheaper than the starting price of Brawl. Both of these factors combined will probably encourage many copies to be sold.

This is not accounting for the Wii U version, which will probably have at least a 25%-30% attach ratio, which is already 2-2.5 million, and does not account for the spike in consoles that will sell this holiday.

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.
If you have rated Duck Hunt Dog, Bowser Jr., or Shulk, check to see what you've said on their days!

I will rate tomorrow.
I just can't believe that the game is coming to a close. Time really does fly...
Here's some music for the moment:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Chance for all 3: 100%
For somebody to accurately fake this leak, they would have to:
Create all new renders for all unnanounced characters.
New renders for new stages, as well as renders for confirmed stages at different angles .
Models for all trophies shown.
Menu and art design for all interfaces shown.
Luckily guessed the exact design the classic mode bottom screen and the spectating screen before they were revealed.
Modeled, rigged, and animated both new and confirmed characters in a way that exactly matches the physics, effects, and design of Smash 4. (What we've been shown isn't possible in a Brawl mod)

Bowser Jr. Want: 100%
I love Bowser Jr.! I wanted him in over Rosalina and Luma, and now I can finally drop my animosity towards her for getting in over him. Plus he looks like a unique and interesting character!

Shulk Want: 100%
I just bought and played Xenoblade Chronicles. Good game, Shulk is awesome, looking forward to him in Smash.

DHD Want: 50%
Eh. I couldn't care less about DHD, but I'll save like/dislike until I see how he plays.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
All three Likelihood: 100%

Shulk want: 75%

Bowser Jr. Want: 55%

Duck Hunt Want: 90%

More Newcomers than the Four Leaked x5

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Duck Hunt Dog: 100% Chance / 75% Want
Shulk: 100% Chance / 100% Want
Bowser Jr: 100% Chance / 100% Want

leak.avi

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
It's been a pleasure, Groose. I'm very glad to have been a big help to this game. Sorry I got kind of sloppy with my updating in the last few weeks, though. :p

Chance for everything: 99% - Yeah I'm now convinced this one's the real deal.

Bowser Jr. want: 100% - I'm glad I was wrong about Mario almost certainly not getting a newcomer. My favorite character of the leak by far.
Shulk want: 50% - I still don't care much about him.
Dog Hunt want: 30% - Eh...while I wanted a new retro character, this was one of the last ones I would have picked, personally. I'm not annoyed by him or anything, though.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Shulk:
Chance: 100%
This leak didn't change my opinion on him, even though it did make him more likely, I've been considering him a lock for a long time now. There's just no way this can't happen.
Want: 100%
This hasn't changed either
I've always wanted Shulk, and tbh, his gameplay did earn him the extra last percent in want (I used to give him 99% want). He looks to have a good amount of similarities to Marth and I love Marth! Easily the most fun character pre-Smash4 imo.

Bowser Jr:
Now this is a big change though. I used to rank him around 20%, so still high for what I'd give, not a lock at all. And most of it can from being able to be a clone. But that gameplay convinced me, sorry I had to rely so much on the leak.
Want: 90%
I stopped wanting him because his fans got so salty over Rosalina and I couldn't stand her getting so much hate. That should be gone now. All that hate about Mario reps will probably now just got directed at dr. Mario. Once again, this is also influenced a bit by satisfaction.
He deserved and and he's very unique. I am very interested In Trying this concept.

Duck Hunt:

Chance: 99.99%
After all the times we've been messed with, I am leaving 0.01% of doubt for him, and him only. Two of the others got videos, the other 2 I had already expected due a tease in a trailer and statements about one as an alt in the past.
He's basically dependent on this. But is easily the 5th closest thing we have to an unconfirmed confirmed character.

Want: 95%
This just sounds... So hilariously awesome. I expect his moveset to be very quirky and unique.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
All of them get the 100% Chance from me.

As for want....

Dr. Mario: 95%

He was a sub of mine in Melee and I wasn't expecting him....but I sure as hell love seeing him back. Can't wait to play Mario with the Mario Tornaado again.

Duck Hunt: 85%

Eh....it's a nifty addition. Didn't really play the game, but it's definitely a unique character. I'm very curious to see how he plays.

Shulk: ....35%

I was more for Issac, honestly, but I know his series is popular. Don't know his games....can't give him much.

(Give us Mewtwo, Sakurai!! DON'T TEASE US WITH THE DOC!!!!)

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt Dog

Chance: 20% - The leak does not provide good enough visuals as for those concerning Bowser Jr. and Shulk.
Want: 15% - Eh. I think he would fit better as an Assist Trophy.

Bowser Jr.

Chance: 45% - Seeing gameplay of him, having Bowser's SSB4 Moveset and everything else looked pretty convincing.
Want: 30% - I don't hate him, but could do without him.

Shulk

Chance: 85% - Not counting the leak, Shulk still has a wonderful chance of being playable over Duck Hunt Dog and Bowser Jr.
Want: 96% - I really want him in.
Note: I am not one to trust leaks until Official Word from Sakurai has been given.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
Doing this quick
Bowser Jr. : 100%
Shulk: 100%
Want :90 %
Duck Hunt Dog: 95%
Want:85%

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Abstaining on chance because **** it.

Bowser Jr. want: 10%
We already got a Mario newcomer and too many other veterans and newcomers deserve development time before you. I'll be fine with it if the veterans return and we get actually relevant newcomers as well, such as Dixie and Ridley, but otherwise, piss off.

Duck Hunt want: 75%
I thought the idea was stupid at first, but I like these quirky choices like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B., and Duck Hunt falls right in there, so I'm all for it. Not that there aren't others I'd prefer, though.

Shulk want: 60%
Cool to see a new character from a new franchise, but I don't have any particular attachment otherwise.

ChazzzyF

Smash Cadet
I have a busy day tomorrow (following in Groose's footsteps and moving into college), but I figured that today is probably one of the most important days in recent memory and it would be a shame to miss it. So, by the power of iPhones, I hastily write this before going to sleep.

Here we go.

I definitely feel that there is no way that the video footage could be fake at this point in time. It would take so much work to create this leaked video, and Nintendo of America's takedowns of the video aren't helping.

That said, I give Shulk and Bowser Jr both 100% chance scores.

However, I still take all written or screenshot evidence with a grain of salt. There have been too many conflicting sources and too many sources in general to wholeheartedly believe anything else. Yes, I believe the video had to be real, but everything else is as fake-able as it always has been. Don't get me wrong, these videos do heavily support the image of the roster that's been floating around, but I refuse to wholeheartedly believe that yet.

That said, I give Duck Hunt Dog a chance score of 85%.

Now onto the want scores.

Bowser Jr Want: 100%

I mentioned a while ago that Bowser Jr was my most wanted newcomer. That said, I totally wasn't expecting the clown car. While I definitely don't know how to feel about it yet (I can wrap my head around a character in 30 seconds when Sakurai makes a trailer showing off his moves, 30 seconds of abstract gameplay doesn't help much), I'm glad to see him and hope the clown car works out.

I have a weird history with Shulk. I've never played Xenoblade but I wanted to see what his deal was when speculation of him started. I watched a decent number of Xenoblade's beginning cutscenes (I got to the end of Chapter 4's cutscenes before becoming busy and not going back to it) and fell in love with the character and his abilities, rocketing him to my number 2 most wanted newcomer (only under the aforementioned Bowser Jr). Seeing him now, he's what I expected of him and more. I'm looking forward to learning more of how he works and getting to see the ins and outs of his fighting style.

Duck Hunt Dog Want: 50%

I just don't really know what to think here. I don't have an attachment (positive or negative) to the character and I don't know how he fights. I really can't give a realistic comment like I could attempt to do for the other two. I'm actually being somewhat generous with 50%, since there are some other characters I would have liked more, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see gameplay. Then I'll come to a fairer conclusion.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt Dog:
Chance: 95% I'm not giving him 100% cause there was no footage of him. But it's looking more than a little good for him.
Want: 55% Indifferent, but interested in seeing how he would play out.

Bowser Jr. and Shulk chance: 100% Screenshots are one thing. In game footage with matching physics on stages that haven't been shown yet is very VERY different.

Jr. want: 1% He doesn't even get any sick paintbrush moves that I gave him pity points for last time. Great. I don't care that Mario is the mascot of Nintendo. Mario was fine without Rosalina, let alone this brat.

Shulk want: 75% I like Shulk. The Monado's a cool weapon. The gameplay we saw a tad generic though. (He can see the future for yet another counter move. Who'da thunk?)

D

Deleted member

Shulk

Even without the leak, I can't help but have so much confidence in his inclusion.

Bowser Jr.

Like Shulk, he did appear in leaked footage that Nintendo of America took down. If that doesn't scream, "He's in!" then I don't know what does.

Want: 90%

From what I've seen of the leak, he looks like a fun character. That, and he pilots the Koopa Clown Car, a concept that reminds me of Tron Bonne and her Gustav mech in Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and 3.

Duck Hunt Dog

Chance: 99.99%

I agree with @ andimidna andimidna on this one.

I would love to beat up play as the Duck Hunt Dog.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Don't feel like doing chances right now. Meh.

Duck Hunt Dog

Want- 85%
Hey... I actually kind of liked the idea all along. He's pretty iconic and makes a good retro rep. I'm interested in seeing how he turns out.

Bowser Jr.
Want- 10%
Sorry, but too much Mario.

Shulk
Want- 60%
There's lots of reasons to like him... but I just can't seem to get myself all that excited. Lost a few points because his play didn't really interest me that much.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hexa-100's.

That's how I can summarize it. I'm very open minded in many regards, and I'd be fine with them.

Shulk of course, is a different story, being my most wanted. Junior is T. Bonne, a big plus for me. DH is just too glorious to say no to imo.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Put me down for 100% on everything. The leak is neigh impossible to disprove and I love how Shulk/BJ look, and the idea of DHD is fun. Shulk will be my main and the other two will be likely secondaries.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Chance
all of them 100%
I believe the leak's confirmed and it's all been settled for these characters.

Shulk Want - 100%
Shulk rose to my most wanted easily in these past few months, and watching let's plays and seeing Brawler's gigantic posts each month or so helped. And that music, my god. No brainer.

Bowser Jr. Want - 75%
I liked Bowser Jr., but then my want decreased dramatically over time because of competition from characters I like more.
But the leak gives him two things that make me want him a lot more:
1) Koopa Clown Car: it's adorable, it's unique, and it looks sweeet as heck
2) Koopalings. If the palettes for Bowser Jr. are indeed all the Koopalings, then my friends, we have struck roster gold. I never thought they'd do it, but if they indeed do it, it's brilliant. Totally eager to go Larry/Roy on people, especially with the combined grace of Nintendo getting people attached to them with Mario Kart 8.

Duck Hunt Want - 50%
Pretty indifferent on this one. I think it makes more sense than R.O.B. in the sense that the Zapper was also a huge tool in selling NES's as toys in the states and making that whole phenomenon happen. So in terms of the character deserving to be there, it does.
But I just don't know what to expect.
This is a case where I imagine my interest will rise considerably when I get to see it in action.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Post-leak chances: 99.999999% for the lot.

Want:
90% for Duck Hunt, if only for intrigue. More classic NES-era reps are always welcome, as well.
80% for Bowser Jr.; prior to this leak, I would've put him way below that, but the Clown Car hijinxs convinced me immediately. That and the ability to play as Roy Iggy or Larry's pretty cool.
0% for Shulk personally, just because I have no investment in the series at all. I have no issue with his inclusion, though.

It'll be interesting to see how people's opinions on the characters floating on the outskirts of the leak are; I'm not sure what I think myself.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
All three Chance- 100%

Shulk Want: 25%- Ehhh. I just don't really like his design. What we saw of his moveset looked sorta boring too. Never played Xenoblade and don't plan on it. It just doesn't seem like my kind of game.:ohwell:

Bowser Jr. Want: 100%- Towards the beginning of speculation, I didn't care too much for Jr., but after hearing about him for months and playing so many games with him, he really started to grow on me. His moveset is utterly fantastic too.

Duck Hunt Dog Want: 100%- I just love his design, especially the one in the leak. He was always my most wanted retro, aside from maybe Sukapon. The fact that a duck fights with him is awesome too.

Last edited:

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Shulk- 100%
Want... (avoid if you're a fan)
5%, I'm sorry, but I still don't really care for him. I tried Xenoblade Chronicles and didn't enjoy it. Also, considering the series has now become a franchise, I feel like it'd make more sense to wait until Smash 5 to see if there's a character more important to the franchise overall that should represent it- by then Shulk might be outdated. Also, I'm not interested in what we've seen of his moveset.

Bowser Jr.- 100%
Want- 100%
I'm happy to see he gets his own moveset and I believe putting him in the Clown Car was brilliant. Looking back at Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, every boss fight against Jr. had him in a big machine. I feel like it's a way of capturing his character- he's too small and cutesy-wutesy to fight on his own, so he relies on big machinery to be intimidating and powerful.

Duck Hunt Dog- 100%
Want- 10%, I have to see this in action before I can rate it any higher. I do like dogs, but I can't stand hunting. Oh, also, I feel like he takes up a "quirky character" spot on the roster, and I would have liked to see that spot go to someone else...
like mah choir boys :(

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Bowser Jr:

Want: 35%

Shulk:

Want: 80%

Duck Hunt Dog:

Want: 50%

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well if one is real, they're all real, so chance for me is 99% because of the off chance that somebody is the most talented fake leaker ever.

Wants:

Bowser Jr.: 100%, more than that if even possible. He was my most wanted Nintendo-owned character. The only character who beat him was Mega Man, and I didn't wait long for that reveal

DHD: 80% I thought he was a bad idea, but I warmed up to him and I'm excited to play him.

Shulk: 50% I don't know him or his game. He looks cool and people love him and his game, so what do I have to lose? I figure 50% is indifferent, and that's how I feel.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

I'm afraid I won't be able to be impartial these next few days. I have mixed opinions about the leak, and at the moment I'm leaning 65-35 toward it being real...but I could also see a Gematsu-like situation where part of it is real and part of it fabricated. To be honest, I hope the CSS and full stagelist are hoaxes. I want there to still be more surprises left in store.

Because any ratings I make regarding leak-related content will be skewed by my personal bias, I am abstaining from rating their chances. I can still offer want scores, though, and thoughts about each of them.

Shulk
Chance: Abstain

Want: 75%

-(Leak-Based Moveset: 60%)
-(Non-Leak Moveset: 90%)

For the character so many people wanted, the leak footage seems to have left a lot to be desired. Shulk's movement and attacks looked rigid and unfinished and his moveset seems at least partially borrowed from other swordsmen when it didn't look basic and easily programmed. There were moments where he appeared to cycle through various symbols, and two of them covered his feet or arms in what looked like solidified light. It fell right into the Ninka leak's description of Shulk having a type of stance system...but the clip also looked like it could have been an elaborate Brawl hack.

And the moves we saw in the clip...honestly felt lackluster. They didn't do Shulk justice.

If it is real, I hope that clip came from an early and unpolished build, or that the low video quality and small sample size just made him look worse than he actually is. But I'm really hoping what we saw wasn't the real Shulk...and that his true moveset is something as awesome as his game is.

Come on, Shulk...change the future for us.

Bowser Jr.

Want: 45%

Bowser Jr. was one of the reasons I doubted the Ninka leak. The idea of putting him in a Koopa Clown Car is interesting, but isn't it a bit of a reach? If Sakurai refused to bend over backwards to make Chrom unique, why would he do so to make Bowser Jr. different from his dad?

I have to admit, though, his clip does make him look interesting. All the weapons and gadgets he was able to throw out did make him look original. And I've also realized that having him use the clown car isn't a huge stretch after all--since the majority of his boss fights have had him piloting machines.

Despite that, though? I'm not 100% sold on his footage. Most of his projectile attacks seemed basic enough to program, several of his A moves looked very similar to Diddy's or Jigglypuff's, and the clown car twists and contorts in ways that...don't seem very plausible for it to be able to do.

If that was a hoax after all, I'd be impressed by the programming skill it took. If it's real...then the Koopa Prince has won me over a little, even though I still think giving the Mario franchise two newcomers (and possibly even a returning clone) is excessive.

Duck Hunt Dog

Want: 32.5%

Let's get this straight: I am not sold on that character select screen. There're so many red flags about it that I think it's more likely to be a mockup than the actual thing. Not even the DHD character art has sold me; a talented enough artist could mimic the art style of the other characters, and I swear I've seen that specific render somewhere before. I think it might've been in a 3DS EShop banner a year or two ago, advertising retro games!

I also have to question if we really need another retro newcomer. With Mega Man and Pac-Man drawing so much from older games, don't they fulfill that quota already? If the Ice Climbers were cut after all, though, I could see Sakurai wanted to add a different throwback character in their place.

I was against DHD being in for a long time because he felt more like a nod to the NES than a viable character, but thanks to some mockups I've seen around the internet, I've realized he does have some moveset potential if he uses both the ducks and the Zapper. I still think he'd be unnecessary, but I could live with him being in.

Dr. Mario, on the other hand...

Nominations
DLC/Spotpass Newcomers x5

With today's news about Mario Kart 8's DLC, this just became relevant again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chance for all- 100%
I'll admit that when the thought "maybe the pics aren't on a 3DS because its a video the ESRB were sent" occurred to me, I gave the picture leaks a chance. Probably would've gave Dr. Mario a better score. :p
Want:
Duck Hunt: 100%
I absolutely loved this character before the leak, and the leak gave his look justice beyond measure. He will be extremely unique, and I plan on maining him.
Bowser Jr.: 100%
I supported him before I joined the site [I lurked for over half a year, I wish I joined sooner], and was ecstatic about Rosalina's reveal until I realized what it meant for Jr.. I gave up on him, and I love how he is turning out. The Clown Car looks funny and unique, not to mention the Koopaling alts for an increased variety. At first I wanted him to use a paintbrush, but I love this much more.
Shulk: 70%
I supported Shulk, even if it was only due to Chuggaaconroy's LP. That said, I've seen gameplay of him vs. post game bosses and looked up his attributes and arts on the wiki, and can firmly say that Sakurai should've put Chrom in because barely any of Shulk's true potential is shown in the footage. Sakurai had so much potential in this character and decided to make him as generic as Marth or Ike. The damage ratio scale move is nice, but no thanks. I can change that in the options menu.

I'm glad I've been able to nominate something to the top before the game ended. Dark MK and Galacta Knight costumes are something I've had on my mind a while now.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Chances for all: abstain
I think the leak is real, and as such, I don't believe there is any reason for me rate the characters. I really do think these rating should be thought of as different from our chance ratings, as these are post leak ratings. I think previous scores for any of the characters should stance as our communities ratings.

Want for Shulk: 99%
At first, and this might seem weird, but I was mad at the leak because it ruined my Shulk AT topic discussion. But then I remembered why I nominated it: I really want Shulk in the game, and I wanted to see everyone's opinion if he was Isaac'd. Regardless, I'm glad he's in because not only do we have an awesome character, but now British representation in Smash. In addition, this also mean Xenoblade is on its way up as a Nintendo franchise, as if X's promotion wasn't an indication.

Want for Bowser Jr as just Bowser Jr: 0%
I never liked this character and he just edged out the Koopaling of existence for no reason. In fact, now Bowser and Nintendo have disowned the Koopalings. He's a real jerk, but I guess that's what makes him a perfect villain.

(Bonus rating to not be counted: Bowser Jr with Koopaling Alternate costumes: 80%)
This makes a lot of sense to me and is a great use of alternate costumes.

Want for Duck Hunt (Because apparently that's the character's name I think): 100%
This is the perfect retro character. Duck Hunt is one of those legendary NES titles that I remember playing as a kid and I sucking at really badly. I recently played it in arcade bar and my skills have not improved that much. So I will enjoy beating up that laughing dog.

I will also enjoy playing as the dog. Next up, Duck Hunt (Wii U)!

Morbi

Scavenger
After witnessing some of the overly high chance ratings, I should probably clarify that I have not yet fallen for the compelling leak.

#TeamFake

Duck Hunt Dog Chance: 30%

Duck Hunt Dog is one of the more ideal retro choices, I have always felt this way, prior to the leak even. However, I did not believe that we would get another playable retro character. I interpreted Sakurai's assertions quite differently than the vast majority of people. I could only assume that he intended to revive that characters through Smash, not necessarily as playable characters, but through other relevant roles. This is the crux of Duck Hunt Dog in my not so humble opinion, his role seems as though it would be satisfied through an assist trophy and nothing more. I am not sure what he brings to the table. Most people do not envision a move-set that "works" for Duck Hunt Dog that is not awkward or overbearing regarding his use of ducks. Hopefully he is not generic.

Duck Hunt Dog Want: 100%

Duck Hunt Dog is one of the only Nintendo retro characters that I was aware of prior to joining Smashboards. Therefore, we share a special connection. Not only that, but the troll levels with him are quite powerful. He is honestly one of the best characters to piss people off with. I am in love with his alleged character selection screen render. I am very interested in the possibilities pertaining to his character as well. He offers more than most of the other retro candidates that offer one unique aspect to the game... sort of.

Bowser Jr. Chance: 20%

This is the character that I am most hesitant about, he seems entirely unnecessary given Dr. Mario's inclusion if we allude to the leak as objective fact. Even if we do not, my Mario character of choice (after Rosalina) was always Dr. Mario. Mario is certainly "deserving" of another character and it is arbitrary to assert that another representative is outlandish. However, given Bowser's move-set underwent material changes and that fact that Bowser Jr. is about 8 models in one, I could probably get away with proclaiming that that is total bull****. The emphasis on the clown car is the saving grace to this ideal, the model and size of the clown car could probably change without drastically altering the way he plays, the Mii Fighters are similar and the leak also had a Larry trophy where he was in the clown car. So it seems logical enough. Albeit, I have never found Bowser Jr. likely in the slightest, the leak is the predominant reason that he has such a significant increase in "chance" on my end.

Bowser Jr. Want: 100%

I have NEVER wanted him in the game. He was the first character that I genuinely labored a disdain for, I wanted him nowhere near Smash. That has changed, his move-set is reminiscent of fun and the Koopaling alternatives will ensure that he is one of the most diverse characters on the roster. That is all that is relevant. I might not be a fan of his character, but he looks great, so there is no reason for me to not want him in the game any longer. I did not want a clone variation of Bowser, I did not want the paint brush; I wanted a gadget-based move-set... that is what I got. I suppose "Roy is our boy" chants will live on (even though I will be playing, Wendy, the chav).

Shulk Chance: 70%

Shulk was the most logical addition from the leak aside from Dark Pit (the only thing definite regarding Dr. Mario was that he would not be an alternate costume). Shulk has the merit of some of Nintendo's most prominent characters and he also has various tweets and subtle allusions in his favor. No one really doubts him too much, but I do believe that his chances are severely overrated. Circumstantial evidence will only get the "Twitter Warrior" so far. Blah blah blah, Project Rainfall is important, blah blah blah.

Shulk was another character that I did not actively support as I was not overly fond of his fan-base. Albeit, that is not fair to the character. Once I learned about his "Grima-esque" role in Xenoblade, I have been more of an advocate. His vibrant, immaculate, beautiful, elegant, and sexy render has certainly completely and utterly changed my mind. He is welcome to Smash if you ask me! I am; however, not very satisfied with his alleged game-play. I can only theorize that they used Marth as a base for his model and move-set whilst sending in an earlier build of the game. His British accent is the predominant reason I want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom