• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294

I was expecting Shulk.
No...better way of saying this...
I said this aloud in a Skype call:
"I know it's Shulk."
Like I'm a psychic.
But then it wasn't Shulk.
That alone made this reveal worth it, regardless of who it was.
But then...
Fire Emblem...?
Oh, okay, Chro---why is he lying on the---Lucina?
Lucina?
Uh-uh-uh, okay then...
CAPTAIN FALCON?
WHAT?
Oh my god.
*What I now know is Elwind hits the ground between them"
Oh, okay, it's Shulk.
Wha...
whaa...
Robin?
Robin?
Ohohoho, interesting.
*Gameplay begins*
Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

Robin: 100%
My favorite newcomer so far has been Villager.
Based on what I've seen, Robin beat 'im.
Little Mac's trailer was my favorite, Robin's beat that too. (Granted, he had help from Captain Falcon.)
And, to think, I didn't really care who we got outside of the near-zero possibility of it being Anna.
Blown away. Absolutely blown away.
But, in hindsight, despite the hype, I feel really bad for Chrom and his supporters. If I were rating the overall experience, it would not be a full 100% because of this. It's not the case here since it's just my satisfaction with Robin him/herself.

Also...
Thunder!
(El)thunder!
(Arc)Thunder cats!

Lucina: Abstain
I'm not really sure. I want to say "100%," but I think that may just be the Robin hype talking.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Robin: 75%
Robin came out pretty well, an interesting moveset with some nice incorporation from the main series that he/she hails from. While we don't know too much about how they work, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with them.

Lucina: 70%
I liked the character from Awakening, so I'm glad to see that she managed to become a playable character alongside Robin. However, I'm hoping that she has a bit more to differentiate herself from Marth as while I don't mind that she's a clone, I'd love to see her bring more of her own abilities to the table.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Robin satisfaction- 100%
Second Most Wanted FE Rep and I'm glad to see a FE character that isn't just another pure sword user but also uses other elements from the game. I'm exited to learn his move-set and see more info about it because he looks like a fun character to play.

Lucina satisfaction- 85%
I actually like clones as long as they make sense (looking at you Ganon >:V) it takes little dev time and provides a another way to use an existing move-set. I have used Marth in past games and now I'm interested to see how she works with having a few new elements like having the damage on her blade even out rather than just most power being on the tip.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Lucina Satisfaction - 65%

She's alright, but I still have yet to play a Fire Emblem game myself, so I have no personal connection to her. And she's looking to be quite "cloney". I like Roy in Melee, but I didn't want a repeat of how he was handled either, and so far it's looking like it is sort of. But I'll have to wait and see how she turns out upon release or via future footage or information provided alongside pics of the day.

Robin Satisfaction - 80%

No personal connection to Robin either. But I really liked what was shown in his/her trailer, Robin looks like he/she will be quite a complex character, and a fun one at that.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Robin satisfaction - 100%
My most wanted Smash newcomer. And hoping against all odds, we got them. While we know little about how they'll actually play, what we've seen so far satisfies my enough to believe he or she could become one of my mains.

Lucina satisfaction - 80%
I really like the fact that we got 2 Awakening characters. I feel Lucina and Chrom would've been both equally good choices for the second pick, but I feel Chrom just fits this tiny bit better as the Team-Up FS that Robin got. I'm not all that glad to see that Lucina is a Marth clone but it's still way better than not representing all three at all.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Are we gonna do restructure days like we did post smash direct and e3, cuz Gematsu is kinda crippled? Just askin...

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Robin - 100%
Seems to fit my Smash playstyle and is a character that I would prefer over Chrom. Female model looks like my fire emblem awakening character, which is a plus I guess.

Lucina - Indifferent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robin - 80%

Lucina - 70%

I honestly love both characters. It's the lack of a certain character that I am not satisfied with, nor the manner in which said character was handled...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So @ Groose Groose , what newcomer schedule do plan on doing, I'd totally start recommending with Dark Pit and Dixie Kong then Shulk and possibly different RH character.
I would think that we should maybe start with the characters we rated overrated and underrated (speaking of which, wasn't Chrom considered underrated?), and then move through other prominent character choices, probably starting with Shulk and Chorus Men. Dark Pit and Dixie Kong seem like low priorities at this point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We're figuring out how the re-rates will be handled right now. I personally don't feel the need to do a ton of re-rates like we did after the Smash Direct and E3 since not many were affected and I think that the Gematsu characters are really worth our time right now. So, I rather not have us re-rate characters like King K. Rool, Dark Pit, or Bandana Dee and I don't think that we need a ton of re-rate days.

I can guarantee you this though: Shulk and the Chorus Men will be re-rated.

We should also rate every other plausible semiclone like Toon Zelda, Dr. Mario, Alph, Roy etc.
I disagree with you there. Some of the characters you've mentioned will probably get some pretty miserable scores on here.
If anything, I guess we could nominate a concept of "Semi-Clone Newcomer (Lucina isn't counted)" so that we won't bother rating characters like Toon Zelda and Alph. That would take up too much time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I would think that we should maybe start with the characters we rated overrated and underrated (speaking of which, wasn't Chrom considered underrated?), and then move through other prominent character choices, probably starting with Shulk and Chorus Men. Dark Pit and Dixie Kong seem like low priorities at this point.
Ridley won Underrated if my memory is right

Hong

The Strongest
My score for both has remained high.

Robin - 100% satisfaction
Anna, Morgan and Tiki would have been better Fire Emblem characters, but that doesn't make Robin any less good.

Lucina - 85%
I like her even more than Robin, but the execution bothers me. It's not that she was a clone, but just a few small details bug me. Her expressions seem off, and she should have her proper battle stance.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ridley won Underrated if my memory is right
Oh, of course Ridley was the one who actually won (and rightfully so, I think), but if I recall, Chrom got a number of votes as the most underrated character. Probably because everyone thought he was a guarantee and that anything less than a perfect score was "underrated."

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Lucina - 85%
I like her even more than Robin, but the execution bothers me. It's not that she was a clone, but just a few small details bug me. Her expressions seem off, and she should have her proper battle stance.
Well, the game's still in development, and Ike actual got his blue flames like we asked, so I wouldn't be surprised if her stance/idle was changed.
Though, frankly, as much as I like it, it wouldn't feel fluid for her to go from that pose directly to a Marth-styled slash, I can see why they didn't go with it.

Still, yeah, even just copying Roy's stance would've been cooler.

EDIT: For reference, here's Roy's stance. It fits Lucina more, imo.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Well, the game's still in development, and Ike actual got his blue flames like we asked, so I wouldn't be surprised if her stance/idle was changed.
Ike's blue flames could be a custom move. Sakurai has been sneaking custom moves into the trailers now, which makes it frustratingly difficult to determine characters' default move sets...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ike's blue flames could be a custom move. Sakurai has been sneaking custom moves into the trailers now, which makes it frustratingly difficult to determine characters' default move sets...
Maybe.
But I don't see the value in making the attack blue in addition to whatever attributes they would logically give variations of the move.
It would be like if Wario's fart was yellow by default, but there was a version where it was a short unchargeable explosion and also was purple.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Robin: 20%

I'll say it again, I absolutely despise Robin's character. I'll admit, though, that he/she has a neat moveset. At the very least, some people (Okay, a lot.) were hyped for him. He's one of th least controversial newcomers yet. If he had an 'Evil' costume with a hood down and glowing eyes, this would be bumped up 20 because villains.

Lucina: 100%
If you saw me fanboy at her reveal, you'd question the mental stability of other fanboys.

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
Robin: 100%

For the longest time, I felt like I was in a dream after watching yesterday's reveal trailer. Robin being in the game made me so hyped. I was utterly shocked that Robin is in and I sincerely cannot wait to buy Smash 4 and main this guy. It's funny because I had just recently came to terms with Chrom being in the roster because of the Gematsu leak and then this happens! My condolences to Chrom fans for his disconfirmation, but I am so excited for Robin. :4robinm::4robinm::4robinm: I need to stop gushing about him now.

Lucina: Abstain

I still don't know how I should rate her. She was everything that I feared Chrom would b: a blue-haired swordsperson who is a clone. However, because Lucina masquerades as Marth in Awakening, her being a clone of Marth makes sense and is thus kind of "forgivable". I don't know. Maybe in a month I'll have a better idea, but right now I'm abstaining from her.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Robin: 99%
Lucina: 75%

Im really excited about Robin. My most wanted character from FE, and near the top of my list in general. When i saw the trailer initially, I was thiking "Only Lucina? wow thats unfortunate," but as soon as I saw magic come down, I got really pumped. To see Robin floating in the air, I was so excited. His/her moveset was everything I hoped for. The only small thing I can complain about is no Grima for a FS, but Chrom teaming up is good too.

Im a little bit disappointed that Lucina ended up being a Marth clone, but I'm willing to accept it because it didn't seem to have taken much dev time. She could have easily been an alt costume instead, but I guess this works too.

andimidna

Smash Master
We should also rate every other plausible semiclone like Toon Zelda, Dr. Mario, Alph, Roy etc.
That's a lame batch of clones if you ask me.
I think Dixie Kong, Blaziken, Impa, and Dark Pit are better picks.
Maybe even Bowser Jr, Medusa, and Sceptile?
Although we don't need to prioritize them all, most should just be nominated regularly. Dixie is the only one I think is 100% necessary. I mean, the development team is going to add multiple clones and I'm not supposed to expect a character as iconic as Dixie? The only things holding her back were:
1. Lack of uniqueness
2. Kompetition
3. TF possible being too new
Now. That's all gone. As a clone, she isn't supposed to be unique, she doesn't have to kompete, and clones are added late in the game so they were probably decided even after TF released.
I don't know if you can tell but I'm going to be rating her very highly now. If Fire Emblem got 2 veterans + 1 unique newcomer + 1 clone newcomer, DK fully deserves that as well. And I expect it to.
The rest don't have such strong cases, but it also doesn't seem too likely that we'll get only 2 clones.

Groose

Smash Champion
"hey, wouldn't it be dope if Rawk Hawk were in Smash?"
As the owner of the Rawk Hawk support thread, I certainly think so! Come on by if you can--I don't have the heart to bump it again myself!

This is the third draft of my satisfaction explanations. I restarted from scratch twice because I felt that I inadequately summed up my feelings despite using over 2,000 words each time. Right now, I feel I'm inadequately summing up my feelings, but I'm out of time to do so. My satisfaction scores have not changed; the way that I'm expressing them has.

Lucina Satisfaction: 10%
You'll get no sympathy from me, Lucina.
I don't like clones. Clones don't really do anything for me; I'd rather have alternate costumes and more work put into characters already in the game rather than cheaply duplicating them. If I were the director of Melee, and I had the choice of including Falco, Doctor Mario, Ganondorf, Pichu, and Roy or including Dedede instead, I would have chosen Dedede instead. I'm the guy who wanted Toon Link (MY MAIN!) cut from Smash 4.

From my personal preferences, it's clear why I don't like the way Lucina turned out. Additionally, I think she's a missed opportunity for a quick and easy alternate costume. In Awakening, she looks like Marth, she fights like Marth, she acts like Marth, she idolizes Marth, and she even asks you to call her Marth; why couldn't they just have slapped a mask on Marth and used Lucina's voice actor and called it a costume? That would have used a less resources (yes, even less than a clone!), cluttered the roster a lot less, and would have achieved the same effect for Awakening fans as a clone.

...I am a bit happy at her inclusion, because I did want to see Lucina get the opportunity to fight her idol the Hero King. Seeing her as a clone just really bums me out, though. That and the fact that Chrom gets completely left in the cold are pretty depressing (from the guy who didn't want Chrom in the first place).

Robin Satisfaction: 90%
Time to tip the scales!
I'll be referring to Robin as a "he" now because the Male Robin was the one in the trailer. This is just like how I refer to Villager as "he" and Wii Fit Trainer as "she;" it's for convenience.
Despite my dislike of how Lucina turned out, I quite like how Robin's shaping up. Before his reveal, I always considered him the most desirable option out of all the Fire Emblem characters with a chance, yet I didn't want him because I really didn't want much more Fire Emblem influence. After Ike's reveal, I grew to like the polarity of the "powerful, brutish mercenary" and the "skilled and nimble prince," and I felt that it was a good way to cover the series. However, adding a "magical swordsman" is something that really worked well, and I'm very glad that he got in.

The only thing that kind of makes me worried about Robin is the system of breakable weapons. I'm pretty anxious about how that will turn out, and as of now, I think it would have been better if he just had slightly weaker attacks that didn't have some gimmick forced upon them.

...oh, and I love Nosferatu. It's great to see a recovery move, especially one I enjoy abusing in the Sacred Stones.

DAY OVER

I GUESS I'LL GET MY CHANCE... ANOTHER DAY...

Groose

Smash Champion
Newcomer Satisfaction Scores
89.55%--Robin
71.40%--Lucina

I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for swinging by yesterday. I had 105 votes to consider; this is the first time we've ever had a triple-digits turnout. In the end, Robin proved to be exceptionally popular, and Lucina herself was no slouch. From a board that's been rent with Fire Emblem discussions for months, it's nice to see that the vast majority of us are pretty satisfied with how things turned out for the franchise.

Today we'll see where the Fire Emblem newcomers rank among the rest of the challengers the game has to offer. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accomplish this in a single day; my calculator can't handle all those characters, and I'm sure you'll need some time to write about all of them. Today we will be giving satisfaction scores for newcomers that were revealed last year, and tomorrow we will be giving satisfaction scores for newcomers revealed earlier this year. So, without further ado, please rate Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina in satisfaction. Hopefully our turnout will remain large!

Some of you have been asking about how we'll be going about things after satisfaction. I feel that we obviously need to rate those in the Gematsu Leak (Shulk and Chorus Kids) as well as notable ones that weren't part of the leak (K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, etc.). In addition, we'll have to rate some characters that were seen as easy clone material (Dark Pit, Dixie Kong, Melee Clones, etc.). I don't have an exact schedule planned, but this should take us about a week. I do want to get us back to normal well before August, though, because we're running out of time.​

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Nothing's really changed for me since E3, even considering Gematsu is now proven flawed at the very least. Given that, I'll simply repeat my scores from last month; feel free to visit my post-E3 satisfaction ratings for some explanations.

Villager - 75%
Mega Man - 100%
Wii Fit Trainer - 75%
Rosalina - 100%

D

Deleted member

2013 Newcomers Satisfaction has been added to the Directory.
If you have rated any of these newcomers in Satisfaction, check to see what you've said!

Villager
Satisfaction:
100%

Easily glad that he's in. I love his moveset and he will be fun. He also gives Animal Crossing a rep at last!

Mega Man
Satisfaction:
100%

I don't have a connection to Mega Man like many other people do, but I am glad with how he turned out. He looks incredible! He lost his "2nd most satisfied newcomer" title to Robin, but he is still a fantastic character nonetheless.

Wii Fit Trainer
Satisfaction:
15%

*yawn*
With every passing newcomer, the scales get tipped away from her...
Many of the newcomers look exciting! ...Except for her.

Rosalina
Satisfaction:
0%

I've explained many times why I don't like her. I don't need to explain again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Mega Man- 100% Third party character of choice.
Villager- 60% He's the only character so far I don't care. But he's cool anyway.
Wii Fit Trainer- 100% I still remember the loud laughs.
Rolalina and Luma- 100% Unexpected but innovative. Really hyping to see the first newcomers outside E3.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Villager
Satisfaction: 100%

Megaman
Satisfaction: 70%

Wii Fit Trainer
Satisfaction: 35%

Rosalina
Satisfaction: 90%

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Villager: 90%
When Villager was announced, I hadn't played any Animal Crossing games. I've since played New Leaf, and I'm happy to see the series get representation, as it was probably the biggest Nintendo series not to have representation. He looks like a lot of fun, with a really crazy and off the wall moveset using an assortment of random objects. I always struggled to think what they'd do for an Animal Crossing Rep, but they handled him very well

Mega Man: 90%
Mega Man is in the same boat as Villager, prior to E3, I had never played any of his games, but now I've gone back and played a few of them. Mega Man always seemed like Geno to me, he was on everyone's lists, but I didn't think he'd ever ACTUALLY get in. I still remember watching his reveal, I was stunned. They also really captured the essence of the character, with all of the robot master moves. His design is also top notch, sticking to his classic look, and having projectiles instead of punches is something I always would have loved to see be implemented in a character. I never had personal attachment to the character, but I'm still very happy to see him, especially with all the fan service he's getting

Wii Fit Trainer: 70%
When I first saw her, I was like "This is a joke or something right". I thought it was SO stupid, and to a degree, I still think it is. But she's really grown on me. She's not particularly unique like other characters, but she's such an off the wall character, that I can't help but like her, considering that Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B are some of my favorite smash characters. She seems to FIT the way I play, and I could see myself main her.

Rosalina: 50%
I like Rosalina as a Mario character, but I just don't think she is notable enough for Smash Bros, and there are other Mario characters that I would have taken over her, such as Bowser Jr. or Paper Mario. She had a prominent role in Mario Galaxy, a small cameo in Galaxy 2, and was a post-game, unlockable character in 3D World. Yeah she's appeared in other games like Mario Kart, but I don't think that's really enough to justify it. That being said, she is probably the most unique character we have gotten so far (except maybe Robin). I don't think I'll ever play her, as she seems like she'll be very difficult, but I'm a sucker for unique fighters.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
All Newcomers:
Everyone gets 100% from me because of the fact that I try to like all the newcomers and appreciate how they are, and I enjoy the selections this time around in retrospective much better than when I first see them.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Villager: 63,5%
55% is trying and 75% is indifference and Villager is in the middle of it.
At the pros I have the 'Villager kills people'-fad, the Balloon Fighter Helmet (a relic of one of my first most wanted) and the projectile aerials.
At cons I have the fact I have no personal connection to AC, the projectile aerials (will they be good?) and the more boring attacks like pulling weeds.

Mega Man: 50%
Indifference. Nothing more and nothing less.
No personal connection and the fact I like to play up close make this so.

Wii Fit Trainer: 80%
Fun, quirky, close combat and a projectile.
Just the things I want in a charcter with not much more,

Rosalina: 90%
Maybe a bit too much Galaxy Kicks in her moveset but I love to try her.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've already given reasons in the past and my scores haven't changed drastically, so I'll just post my satisfaction ratings.

Villager - 100%
Megaman - 72%
Wii Fit Trainer - 70%
Rosalina & Luma - 40%

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Rosalina: 0%
Rosalina looks like a very boring character. She isn't a Nintendo all star by any means. She greatly lowered the chances of one of my most wanted newcomers. And worst of all, like many newcomers this smash, her entire moveset is based on a gimmick! I am probably the only person here tired of things being too unique this round. Wii Fit Trainer and Greninja are fine in that respect, but the others aren't. However, most of the others aren't this bad. We now have three characters that are based around the fact that they have more than one character to control. I was fine with the Ice Climbers and Olimar, but now it is getting sort of repetitive.

Villiager: 45% I haven't played any animal crossing games, and don't plan to any time soon. Thus, I have no attachment to him and his moveset isn't anything special, so... next!

Wii Fit Trainer: 55% Meh, I don't really care about her moveset, but she reminds me of when I was little, so... yeah... next!

Mega Man: 70% I like his moveset, but I have no attachment to him, so, yet again, I don't have a very strong opinion.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I'm going to do it all in one day with explinations so it's easier to make comparisons, So, I'll look back at my last ratings and see how things have chaged:

Megaman: 100%
No Change. He plays exactly the way he should!

Little Mac: 85%
No Change. Plays as he should, but just punching is a bit less interesting than above.

Pac-Man: 80%
-10%. He's not a summoner, but he does still have a fairly cooky cartoony moveset, which suits him great. I think his moveset's a little bland compared to others, but he works, and it's friggin Pac-Man.

Greninja: 80%
+25%. His move set looks great, and while I still think it's a little early for him to appear, but I now know he's one of the big pokémon in the new movie which helps me accept it, they're moving fast enough to win me over... but I still think this game he'll never quite hit the 100%.

Wii Fit Trainer: 75%
-5%. Sun Salutation is annoying me more than it did at E3, but otherwise she's amazing!

Palutena: 75%
-14%. WHAT'S HER STANDARD MOVESET?!?! I won't know if I like her until I find out, she's a character I wanted, but I don't know if he moveset fits yet. Also it annoys me that she's get different moves when Mario had 3 FLUDDS... seriously? Just make one of them the Tornado, even if it's not standard, everyone would be happy!

Villager: 65%
+20%. I still think his moveset's possibly a little too disjointed, and the Lloyd rocket is dumb... but with more analysis I think he does have more to work with, and doesn't look vBrawl Wario levels of obnoxious and unfun to use anymore... I'm skeptical, but he was one of my most wanted, and I'm not being as harsh on the moveset.

Robin: 65%
See Yesterday. The Levin sword breaking is worrying, but I guess we'll see. The tomes having ammo make perfect sense to me, and feels natural with comparison to some other fighting games I've played... so ya, I'm sure it'll work. Considering how little I card about FE characters it's impressive he's sat alongside one of my most wanted and Roslina's amazing surprise moveset.

Rosalina: 65%
No Change. She seems better off with the Luma close, missing most of (but not all of) her moveset charm... but it's too early to tell just yet. I also dislike the character, which doesn't help!

Mii Fighter: 45%
-5%. I guess I'm more worried about how much time it took to make them now, still think they're done much better than Miis should've been, but they're kinda pointless in my book

Lucina: 40%
-5%. Another kinda pointless inclusion, a clone, especially as Roy would do it better. She seems even more similar to Marth than I though when I last rated her... still can't hate her, it's just a thing, and I know full well her move-set's pretty good.

So for today:

Rockman: 100%
WFT: 75%
Villager: 65%
Rosaluma: 65%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom