• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My only thing about Pac-Man was that hardly anybody actually wanted him because they liked him, they wanted him to complete some sort of 4-player mascot mash-up. One of my best friends wanted Pac-Man for that. I asked him if he actually has any attachment to him, like Mega Man and Sonic, and he said he didn't.

I've asked many other people the same thing, and the answer has always been the same, save for one guy I know on another forum, who actually genuinely buys lots of Pac-Man games and merchandise. He genuinely loves Pac-Man, the character. And that's why he wanted him. Meanwhile, everyone else wanted him to complete a mascot mash up, that there are plenty of other candidates for. It's this random historical thing, but in all honesty, we already have the oldest video game character - Mr. Game & Watch. So I always disliked the whole "historical" reason. Not to mention the whole four player mash-up thing is weird because, there's no green P4.

As far as moveset potential, I didn't know what they could do with Pac-Man, but that's never been a factor for me, since again, we are not experienced Smash designers. I just want characters I like, everyone else is fine too. None of this arbitrary "deserving" stuff. If they are Nintendo, they deserve it automatically.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
At the end of the day, your reasoning for not wanting a character shouldn't be because you yourself can't think of a moveset for them, because at the end of the day, we aren't experienced designers with a ton of pedigree..
This is a video-game, a medium where game play is more important than anything else, and we're supposed to disregard if we don't think something will be good from a game play perspective?!

Yes, we're not seasoned professionals, and yes we get things wrong, but we're right to make these because ultimately how good the move set is has more importance than if we like the character in their source material! If we think a character will be bad then we shouldn't want them in the game, as if we're right we'll be sorely dissapointed!

And anyways, Rosalina isn't popular here as a character, it's her move set that interests us, so even if we took your advice and rated her on how much we like the character, her want score would be extremely low!

we already have the oldest video game character - Mr. Game & Watch.

You can't see it, but he's crying right now.

And if we want to see a mascot mash-up then what's the problem with that?! Just because we don't enjoy things in the way you want us to doesn't mean we're wrong to enjoy them!

Yes, I begrudge Greninja because I don't think he deserves it, and yes you don't feel the same way, but I do! I have a right to free thought, and for me it matters. You can't decide how soomeone should feel! If I made dinner for you and you said it was too spicy I wouldn't say 'ignore that, it doesn't bother me! Just figure out how much you like the flavour'...] and if I did you'd think I was an inconsiderate prick! No, it bothers you, it ruins your enjoyment of the meal, my opinions on how hot it is don't make a lick of difference to if you enjoyed the meal or not! The same is true to my enjoyment of the Smash Roster!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This is a video-game, a medium where game play is more important than anything else, and we're supposed to disregard if we don't think something will be good from a game play perspective?!

Yes, we're not seasoned professionals, and yes we get things wrong, but we're right to make these because ultimately how good the move set is has more importance than if we like the character in their source material! If we think a character will be bad then we shouldn't want them in the game, as if we're right we'll be sorely dissapointed!

And anyways, Rosalina isn't popular here as a character, it's her move set that interests us, so even if we took your advice and rated her on how much we like the character, her want score would be extremely low!
As a learning game designer myself who studies game design theory, I can objectively say your first point is untrue - the most important element of any game is the most important element in the designer's eyes, because it is their vision that they are trying to express. Moreover, a good game designer doesn't just have one most important thing in their game, they should strive to treat all aspects as equally important. Otherwise, you get a game with inconsistent quality - bad in some areas, good in others.

And this is exactly why people need to stop being pretentious with their reasoning for wanting characters, and just go with characters they like. You love Ridley? Great, hope the dev team can figure out a way to get him in! You love Goomba? Cool, hope you get him!

Also, don't go saying you know certain characters are popular or not - not everyone is obnoxiously loud about what they want. A lot of people love Rosalina, they are just quiet about it. I myself loved her since 2007 - Yet 2013 is the first year I have ever spoken about her at length with anyone, let alone suggesting her for Smash. I wanted her in Brawl, but never talked about it. Rosalina fans are just quiet. Basically the exact opposite of some Ridley fans.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
:4megaman:: 100%. Fun, unique moveset that draws heavily on old school Mega Man games. Easily the most hyped newcomer to be introduced into Smash 4 and second to the series only behind Sonic.

:4greninja:: 40%. Greninja receives points for covering the ninja-archetype, he also looks fun to play as. And while I still need to look for more gameplay videos of Greninja, it appears that he doesn't offer any new approach/attack options like other characters have. Perhaps the most unique attack I've seen is his Water Shuriken in that it can hit multiple times the longer it is charged.

:4littlemac:: 95%. I was worried that because Little Mac relied solely on punches, his moveset would be sub-par. Again, his movepool is fun, especially the Jolt Haymaker in which he can leap into a three-man brawl and ensue chaos. The KO meter is also a unique trait of his that pays homage to the Star KO in the original game.

:rosalina:: 100%. Being the first puppeteer-esque character in the game, Rosalina and Luma bring a new, technical style of fighting to the series without encroaching on Peach, who is aesthetically a similar character.

:4villager:: 90%. The goofy, fun, and unique moveset is there. I am only worried about the overall execution of his kit, the attack involving the tree does take an incredibly long time to set up, and his recovery seems to be easily gimped. I'll have to keep an eye out for more gameplay footage.

:4wiifit:: 100%. Screw all the haters. :4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit::4wiifit:

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Villager: 100% - He looks like one of the most fun characters to play as.

Mega Man: 100% - He was my most wanted newcomer and his moveset is much better than I thought it would be.

Wii Fit Trainer: 15% - :ohwell:

Rosalina: 10% - Bowser Jr. and Toad are cooler.

Little Mac: 100% - Yes.

Greninja: 70% - Greninja is kinda cool I guess. But seriously where's Jigglypuff?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
As a learning game designer myself who studies game design theory, I can objectively say your first point is untrue - the most important element of any game is the most important element in the designer's eyes, because it is their vision that they are trying to express. Moreover, a good game designer doesn't just have one most important thing in their game, they should strive to treat all aspects as equally important. Otherwise, you get a game with inconsistent quality - bad in some areas, good in others.
Fine, good point. I'll re-word. The most important thing to the core smash bros. community is gameplay. If it wasn't we'd have continued onto Brawl rather than stick with Melee. Maybe for Sakurai it isn't the most important thing, but in that case we disagree with his vision.

I've played many games that have a clear sense of vision, and are consistent in their style... that sucked! There are countless game designers who liked their own work when the gaming community didn't, and maybe in your eyes that's still a good game, but in mine it isn't. I've produced adverts I liked before that have failed to create significant increase in sales or market penetration, heck one even generated a noted decrease in sales! Does that means they're good because they were right to my vision? No! They didn't do their intended purpose, and to assume that when making a consumer product your opinions are more important than the consumers is FAR more pretentious than thinking a character won't be very fun in a video-game.

Sorry, this isn't the place for an argument, I disagree with you, and you disagree with me, neither are budging and both think the other person is being irrational. This conversation is going nowhere and I propose we end it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Fine, good point. I'll re-word. The most important thing to the core smash bros. community is gameplay. If it wasn't we'd have continued onto Brawl rather than stick with Melee. Maybe for Sakurai it isn't the most important thing, but in that case we disagree with his vision.

I've played many games that have a clear sense of vision, and are consistent in their style... that sucked! There are countless game designers who liked their own work when the gaming community didn't, and maybe in your eyes that's still a good game, but in mine it isn't. I've produced adverts I liked before that have failed to create significant increase in sales or market penetration, heck one even generated a noted decrease in sales! Does that means they're good because they were right to my vision? No! They didn't do their intended purpose, and to assume that when making a consumer product your opinions are more important than the consumers is FAR more pretentious than thinking a character won't be very fun in a video-game.

Sorry, this isn't the place for an argument, I disagree with you, and you disagree with me, neither are budging and both think the other person is being irrational. This conversation is going nowhere and I propose we end it.
The word "core" means the central point of something's existence. So really, the core Smash community is the entirety of people who play Smash. The central reason/point the series exists for is because of all of the Nintendo fans, not the competitive community.

I didn't say you get game's inconsistent in style, I said inconsistent in quality. Anything that is a part of your game should get the utmost attention. Doesn't matter what it is. You shouldn't half bake gameplay for awesome graphics, but the reverse is also true. If it's a part of your game, you pay attention to it.

The only reason I didn't mention looking for second opinions in game design is because I wasn't tutoring on game design, just correcting you on one key point. Again, it's pretentious to say gameplay is the end all, be all most important aspect of every game.

A lot of people play Smash because they simply love the characters. Most competitive players probably got into Smash because of that. Therefore, it makes most sense to want characters based on whether or not you like them. It just leads to less disappointment, and makes you come across as much less pretentious. Pretty much every Nintendo character has moveset potential, so it's a moot point.

Rosalina is loved by many people. She's the only character in the main Mario series that has characterisation, backstory, and relatability without having to go looking for it outside of the main series itself. And she's the baby of Nintendo EAD. So her popularity and "deserving-ness" was never up for question. Again, it is pretentious to analyse those things. Obviously talking about movesets is just fun to do, but saying you need to have a moveset in your head to want a character is silly. You really don't. And you shouldn't dislike characters because you can't come up with a moveset. The people who said Rosalina was only going to be a Peach clone in Smash clearly didn't know enough about the character, and this applies to anyone who people can't come up with a moveset for. It also means they just lack creativity!

And I'm pretty sure we are allowed to debate here, it's a message board. Plus, there were plenty of people having a discussion yesterday.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't know about you, but I wasn't exactly high on emotions these past few post as if I was arguing! I saw it as a friendly debate! :V

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
You told me I wasn't allowed to like or dislike things the way I want, which did rather erk me, but the emotionality isn't the problem but the contet. Our logic was circular, and we are making no progress; this is a thread for rating chances, wants and satisfactions, to continue this conversation would take it further off-topic for no good reason.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
:rosalina: Rosalina: 100%
She wasn't a character I expected or supported initially, but her puppet style moveset looks like it's going to be really fun to use. She's my second favorite confirmed newcomer so far.
:4villager: Villager: 90%
My third favorite newcomer so far; I'm really glad we got a gender option! I'm not too keen on their moveset which is why I took off a few points. It's strange that they use moves from Wii Sports and Nintendo Land when there was plenty to work with from the AC series.
:4wiifit: WFT: 70%
WFT seemed more exciting when they were initially announced. but have gotten more bland to me as time has moved on. Maybe when the game's released my opinion will change again.
:4littlemac: Little Mac: 70%
I'm glad he got in for his fans, but his play style or character doesn't appeal to me.
:4greninja: Greninja: 50%
I'm indifferent to the newer Pokemon characters in general. His play style looks interesting though.
:4megaman: Mega Man: 30%
Not a fan of third parties in Smash nor his series. While I'm happy he got in for his fans, I've started to dislike him a bit due to the whiny entitled attitude part of his fanbase that I see from time to time around the web.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mega Man - 90%

Currently my most wanted and hyped for character in-game, with the only reason I'm not going higher is that there might be a chance of there being someone else who could what I wished for. He's near-perfect, in my eyes.

Villager - 80%

He's certainly interesting, and having a few mechanically unusual characters is something I don't mind, but I'm not truly interested in him.

WFT - 65%
Having a few interesting tricks up her (non-existent) sleeves, as well as being a mostly grounded character when a lot seem to be popping up, seems to be enough to make her worth it in my eyes. Not much else, though.

Little Mac - 88.75%

I think that now I understand the Power-up punch better, I say it's perfectly fine, and I think that he's a fairly worthy inclusions, so there.

Rosalina - 75%

A puppet-master play style seems fairly interesting, and while she's interesting enough to forgive her for "skipping the line," it's still kind of weird to me.

Gredninja - 49.5%

Eh. The frog Ninja just don't interest me, and I'd rather have the rest of Trainer's Pokemon back. Don't necessarily hate him, but I just don't find him worth it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Villager: 70%
I'm still pretty neutral on him, but he does definitely deserve his spot and he's a character that turned out well in taking from his home series.

Mega Man: 100%
I honestly feel this character is the one that shines the most of the newcomers. Sakurai definitely paid close attention to his series and drew a lot from it, and it represents the character very well as he has many nods to his history and the abilities that he's gained over the years. Due to that, he's a character I feel adapted very well to the Smash environment and a treat that I think many fans from both Mega Man and Smash will enjoy.

Wii Fit Trainer: 25%
I'm still not that interested in her.

Rosalina: 80%
I like the puppeteer moveset, and watching it in action has increased my appreciation for it.

Little Mac: 80%
I do like what they did with the boxing moveset as they managed to incorporate a good number of combinations and moves into him that still made him feel fresh and unique. Also, the KO punch is a good nod to his home series mechanic without making it too overpowered.

Greninja: 100%
Having played with the character, I really like how he turned out. I think his moveset is very enjoyable, and I do like how his battle style has been incorporated into the game. He's definitely a character I'd consider to be one of my mains when the game comes out.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Villager: Not a Psychopath- 80%- I like his moveset. He deserves the spot but not the meme.
Mega Man: FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!!!- 100%- Hype machine. Deserves it and I'm a hardcore Mega Man fan.
Wii Fit Trainer: Dhalsim's Descendant- 95%- Yoga & Fitness moveset is hilarious.
Rosalina & Luma: Rosetta Stone & Mavis Beacon- 90%- Puppet moveset ala Carl Clover is cool.
Little Mac: HYPE PUNCH!- 100%- The other hype machine.
Greninja- 100%- Played him, loved him, amazing character and answer to Strider.

Overall, I'm very impressed with 8 out of 9 of the newcomers so far. Excellent choices in my eye.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Villager - 95% (I think he's really fun and a great addition, he's just not my personal type of character)

Mega Man - 90% (same as above, plus I'm already getting tired of how everyone is flipping their lids over him; he's probably going to be OU, and I tend to shy away from those)

Wii Fit Trainer - 100% (this is such a great gag-character-turned-contender; what seemed like just a funny character is now a definitely great addition)

Rosalina - 100% (even though Toad is my true love, I adore Rosalina&Luma; she's a unique character, and I've actually used her at SmashFest and loved her)

Little Mac - 95% (another great addition, just not my personal type and already on his way to OU)

Greninja - 100% (I love Pokémon, especially water starters, and he's got just such an awesome play style, and his Gollum voice is just the cherry on top)

Thanks, @ andimidna andimidna , for the invite!

Burigu

Smash Ace
My post isn't going to include gameplay opinion since I live in a forgotten world where Nintendo don't hold events so subjetive opinion ahead

:4villager: Villager: 70% the only complain I have with him is his default design, my first animal crossing was NL so this "tiny" villager is odd in my eyes ( I KNOW THIS IS HIS DESIGN IN THE OTHER GAMES)
:4wiifit: WFT: 80% honestly I don't understand the hate for her, sure she is not the great villian or fan favorite character for the most loved franchise, her moveset might look "common" or "simple" but to be fair, devs manage to put a coherent style in fight based on excersises and yoga moves. It's odd adition like her that makes Smash more special.

:4megaman: Megaman: 70% I don't have a personal conection with the character and have never played his games, that doesn't mean I am going to put him a very low score right? He deserves to be in Smash, the more play styles the better.

:rosalina: Rosalina: 85% yet again I can't understand the hate for her, she is not my favorite, that doesn't mean I don't want her in the game, as long as a character proof to have an interesting or fun concept I am ok with that, this might offend someone just don't explote she deserved this spot better than Daisy, her concept of cosmos, galactic princess makes her more unique and with more sources to work with than the tomboy princess and her "sports" based potencial (acording to fans, I am pretty sure if developers really wanted Daisy they sure can come up with something more unique).

:4littlemac:Little Mac: 65% Never played Punch out so yet again no conection with him , I am aware he has a good style, I am glad he is in the more the better

:4greninja: Greninja: 85% I love pokemon games, never expected him, it is hard to really complain about the reveal so far it's clear that developers have been really careful with the new comer selection this time around, each newcomer is different from the other.

I see this game as a character potencial roster that is why I don't belive in series been "overepresented" or "underepresented" it all about character potencial.

Of course none of these mach :4palutena: 100% from yesterday

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Greninja:100%
Rosalina:100%
MegaMan:90%
Little Mac:90%
Villager:80%
Wii Fit Trainer:50%

To lazy to explain atm...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Satisfaction:

1: Pac-Man: 98.5%
1% increase from yesterday because I just noticed Pac-Man has his flip jump from Pac-Man World 2 <3

2. Villager: 85%
5% decrease. He still kind of excites me, but he doesn't appear to have as cohesive a playstyle as I originally thought.

3. Rosalina: 83%
3% increase. Now that I have my glorious Pac-Man, I'm not as upset about likely not getting Toad, and she seems like she'll be really interesting. Like I said before; magic user, puppeteer, and round squishy yellowness is a great combination for me.

4. Mega Man: 75%
Same as before. He's interesting and I'm looking forward to trying him out, although I have no attachment to him. Great final smash, by the way.

5. Little Mac: 70%
Same as before. He seems really interesting, but not my type of playstyle.

6. Palutena: 60%
I like her, but her reveal could've been better (imo), and I need to see more of her to decide if her playstyle is any good at all.

7. Wii Fit Trainer: 55%
10% decrease. I need to try her. I just don't know.

8. Mii Fighers: 50%
Eh. Again, interesting, but three movesets.

9. Greninja: 20%
20% increase from last time. Not a complete mess and may actually be interesting. I need to try him out. I still think he was a bad choice, though.

Groose

Smash Champion
Groose's Satisfaction Rankings
9. :4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer: 25%

When it comes down to it, Wii Fit Trainer is the only character that I'm really not a big fan of. I do like surprises (Rosalina and Greninja are both pretty great in my eyes, and Chorus Men sounds pretty cool), and I do like Wii Fit, but I just don't like the trainer in Smash Bros.

When I'm playing through games, I sometimes think, "Wow, that character would be fun to play as in Smash Bros." I never once felt this in the months I had a daily Wii Fit routine. Looking at it in implementation, I still feel like the concept is so... well, stupid in my eyes. I don't like how wooden she is when everyone else is so expressive, and I'm not a big fan of a yoga-based moveset.

The reason she gets 25% satisfaction? She's a devastating troll character. I love messing around in Smash, and I now have someone even better than Dedede for getting on the nerves of my friends. I don't see myself using her outside of those types of matches, but it still redeems her in my eyes.

8. :4mii: Mii Fighter: 50%
I detailed this yesterday. In short, I'm torn--they look pretty fun, but I'm definitely not a fan of the sheer amount of work put into them. I'm really torn on whether I like their inclusion overall or not.

7. :4greninja: Greninja: 85%
I like Greninja as a Pokemon (starter represent!), and I think he's a good fit in Smash Bros. He does seem to have some interesting moves (like Water Shruiken), and I love his trap-door Final Smash. Even so, I just don't see him as all that interesting of a character. During the invitational and in other footage, I found myself watching a lot of other newcomers and veterans more closely. My verdict on Greninja is that he's a solid, but standard, addition. I'll try him out and allow him a chance to try out to be in my rotation, but he's definitely not going to be the first person I extensively test.

6. :rosalina: Rosalina: 85%
Rosalina ia pretty much the one Mario character I didn't have any interest in before her unveil. I wanted Toad, and I was cool with Waluigi, Bowser Jr., or even Geno if a miracle were to occur. I initially held a slight grudge against her for beating them out, but this no longer plays into my scores. I've layer through Galaxy games, and I've gotten used to her from being here, and I do like her as a character more than I did before. I'm amped now to put her in a match against Palutena--the Guardian of the Galaxy vs. the Goddess of Light will be one epic showdown.

One thing still irks me about her, though. Although I do love the concept of a puppeteer moveset, I'm not so sure I'll get it in practice. I'm simply dreadful when it comes to complex characters like Olimar and even the Ice Climbers, and I'm not sure if she'll lean on the side of being too gimmicky. Finally, the principle that characters with a lot of work in them aren't so great applies here.

5. :4palutena: Palutena: 90%
I detailed her yesterday as well. As a brief recap, I'm not overly fond of how she has twelve unique moves; I'm not a huge fan of when characters take up a ton of work. Additionally, I expressed some minor qualms about her model. Of course, that doesn't matter much--she's freaking Palutena. Of course I'm pretty darn satisfied that she's in.

4. :4pacman: Pac-Man: 100%
I explained yesterday how I have no complaints about this newcomer that I really, really wanted. He is completely satisfactory, but that's about it.

3. :4villager:Villager: 100%
In the days gone by, I used to criticize Villager for being an avatar; I always stated that I would have preferred Tom Nook. Seeing the Villager in action and taking a glance at his costumes, however, have turned him into the character who has a real shot at being my name. The more we see of Villager, the more strongly he just seems right; I love all of the tiny little references to Animal Crossing hidden in his moveset dedicated to Animal Crossing. I can't wait to get some in-depth hands-on experience with him.

2. :4littlemac:Little Mac: 100%
Mac ain't no joke! I love how he seems to be turning out; in the Invitational, he was the character I tried to keep my eyes on the most, and he really is exciting. I love how simple, yet unique his moveset is, and I absolutely love his underdog character. I wasn't so confident on the KO Meter in the past, but it seemed pretty good in action; I'm dying to try it in a one-on-one to see just how difficult it'll be to land. I hope that it'll lead to some incredible Smash moments in the future.

Oh, and a shoutout to Doc in his victory pose. That is just pure epicness.

1. :4megaman: Mega Man: 100%
Speaking of pure epiceness, how about we talk about the SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT, MEGAMAN! Everything about him has been handled perfectly. Incorporation of lots of his source material? Check. Focus on fan favorite content? Check. Unique playstyle? Check. I see no reason to be dissatisfied at all with how Mega Man works, and I'm not even the greatest of Mega Man fans. The best newcomer by far (though I still prefer Mac Baby's trailer).

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
darnit im going to do mine anyways, now editing the post

1. :4wiifit: 100% This was so unorthodox and off the wall that it shocked me. literally, nothing can top the hype that spawned from finding her on the website. It was so random but at the same time it made so much sense to me.
2. :4littlemac:90% same amount of hype, Honestly I like him more than megaman, and the fact that I guessed him the day before he was announced made me hype SO MUCH MORE.
3. :4megaman: 80% Would be 90% but it got spoiled for me before I saw the trailer.
4. :4greninja: 75% Looks REALLY fun to play as
5. :4mii: 70% the Reggie VS Iwata battle was great. (also is my backup in case Layton isn't in this game, I'll make him myself)
6. :4villager: 68% Our first newcomer. come on. how can you NOT like him. (rather of had tom nook)
7.:rosalina: 60% cool, not expecting, but wasn't too hype. still pretty hype though.
8. :4palutena: 40% Wasn't too hype case it was too expected at that point, plus honestly looks little bit lame.
9. :4pacman: 10% WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE HIM (other than influences as a child) IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME! Could of been a LOT worse, though, hence not 0%

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Newcomer Satisfaction Scores
Mega Man: 85.40%
Little Mac: 82.69%
Palutena: 80.77%
Villager: 80.25%
Pac-Man: 78.05%
Rosalina: 73.46%
Greninja: 71.18%
Wii Fit Trainer: 61.93%
Mii Fighter: 49.42%

Personally, I think these scores do a pretty good job of summing up the speculative community's reaction to most of the newcomers. Mega Man is simply god tier in terms of positive feedback, with Little Mac, Palutena, and Villager all producing great responses as well. After that, things remain pretty positive with Pac-Man, Rosalina, and Greninja, but there is still some notable opposition to those characters. Finally, both Wii Fit Trainer and Miis are the cause of debate, but the trainer has a larger number of fans in the speculative community than the Miis. What do you think? Does this list pretty much define the average response, or did we misrepresent something?

Today will be our last satisfaction rating. Please give your satisfaction for Nintendo's performance at E3 as a whole. This includes what they showed, how they showed it, and it is not just restricted to Smash. That said, please give your E3 Satisfaction score and reasoning!

Finally, predictions will be returning today (though nominations won't be for another week or so as we evaluate those that we deem affected by E3; I'll have a list made by tomorrow). The first day after our satisfaction scores is, of course, the guys we voted the Most Overrated and Most Underrated just one week ago. Remember that? Yup, please predict how Ridley and Sceptile will do.
darnit im going to do mine anyways, now editing the post
I quick edited all of your scores for the non-E3 newcomers into the mix.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
E3 Satisfaction 15%- This is all thanks to Palutena. If it wasn't for her it'd probably be 0%. Why? Well the only other thing that interested me was Starfox and Fantasy Life (which I might buy) and release dates for Layton vs Wright and Pokemon. Which asides from Smash are the only games I know I will buy. Where was SMT x FE and Pokken? Those were like the only things I wanted to see and I didn't see them. -_-

Ridley - 45%
Sceptile - 5%

Can we nominate now?
x5 Mr. Dream Boss.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
E3 Satisfaction: 90%
While no new Mario game sucks, I really like what we've been given.

- Captain Toad levels are very fun in 3D World so I love seeing a game made out of them.
- I don't like shooters at all (aside from Uprising), but Splatoon looks to be a lot of fun and I might get it
- I don't like Zelda either, but Hyrule Warriors blew me away and I think I'll be getting it (playable Zelda <3)
- Going back to shooters, Code Name S.T.E.A.M looks to be really fun and wacky
- Pac-Man and Palutena are so hype
- In general, Treehouse @ E3 was a phenomenal idea and I hope to see it again. I pretty much forgot that Sony and Microsoft were there.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
E3 Satisfaction: 100%
How could I not? So many good things... Splatoon, Smash, etc. It was excellent! Hopefully we get FILSAMECH next year.

Predictions:
Sceptile: Because Grass isn't enough for a mega- 15%
Ridley: Sized Up- 15%
Yep, double 15s.

@ Groose Groose
Congrats! :)

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Ninty E3 satisfaction: 85%
While there are games that I don't see picking up but I can't say any of them look bad. In fact most of them I'll probably not pick up. The only ones I actually see picking up are Yoshi's Wooly World, Zelda U (which still doesn't have a title), Hyrule Warriors, Star Fox (even if we don't have any gameplay of it yet) and Smash (of course). Zelda in paricular, I love it's art direction (I am aware many would prefer a Twilight Pincess-esque art style but that has never appealed to me as much).

I will say that this years E3 was a big step up from last years. Nintendo was really aiming for the fans this year. I loved the digital event. The Smash invitational was awesome as well (I had to go on youtube to watch it though). This year would probably have been really lackluster for me if they siply had another Nintendo Event like last year.

Predictions: Sceptile 35%
Ridley 50%

Also, may I suggest we do a day on discussing Amiibo.

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Overall E3 rating: 75% I am definitely looking forward to these games. Splatoon looks great, and so does Hyrule Warriors. However, I was fairly neutral with most of the others and I was very disappointed with smash.

Sceptile: 16.53%
Ridley: 38.1%

[collapse=Yesterday and the day before which I missed/did poorly]
:4greninja: Greninja: 0%
He is, now and forever, the hype thief to me. I would go in depth, but I already did that here. So if you want my opinions on him go there.

:4mii: Mii Fighters: 1%
I hate everything about them. They don't look like they play well and don't seem to fit in with the rest of the cast. Their moveset is generic and aren't true to their character. Not only that, but they are not only taking up the time of one or even two, but they are taking up the time of three characters. I also dislike the no online thing. What's the best way to keep all of the Hitler and other things at bay? Only allow the default face to be used online. That would really suck to main a character and not even be able to use it online. This also means that *shudders* the gematsu leak is mostly real since it got the "Mii Fighter" name spot on. The only reason it gets a 1% is because the game is a celebration of Nintendo's history and the miis are definitely a big part of it.

:rosalina: Rosalina and Luma: 5%
This was a horrible day. Rosalina was a horrible choice for the Mario rep. We had Bowser Jr., who is much more important to the series in general, Toad, who has been there since the beginning and is also very important to the series, Waluigi, who could rep the spinoffs (and make bitf 200% more amazing), and Paper Mario, who could rep an entire (fairly small) series. But instead, who do we get? A small supporting character who is young (Toad), can't rep a specific part of the Mario series very well (Waluigi), isn't very important in the roles she gets (Bowser Jr.), and doesn't run a small series by herself (Paper Mario). She also looks like she will be a pretty huge tournament threat and may possibly even become semi-broken once people learn to use her well.

:4palutena: Palutena: 30%
Eh, she looks okay. Don't get me wrong, I love her as a character, but she really wasn't done well. Her model looks really bad and her moveset looks bland. Also, the special treatment she, and all of Kid Icarus series, is getting. Seriously, she, and only she, is getting additional special moves. The only thing saving her is the amazing animated part of her trailer (and that is also where the initial 100% satisfaction came from yesterday).

:4villager: Villager: 45%
I really have nothing to say about this one. It's villager. He has an okay moveset and an okay model and a good importance to Nintendo... Yeah, I don't have much to say about this one.

:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer: 55%
Just look above. The only reason I gave her a 10% more is because she reminds me of my uncle who used to always play wii fit with his children. I always liked him, but when he divorced with my aunt, I haven't seen much of him. She will always have a special place in my heart because of this.

:4pacman: Pac-Man: 60%
Pac-Man deserved to get in. I don't have any oppositions to him, but he isn't really anything special to me ether.

:4megaman: Mega Man: 65%
I have never played a Mega Man game and thus, have no real attachment to him. However, he looks like he will be cool to play as and I am over all in favor of him.

:4littlemac: Little Mac: 100% He looks amazing. He looks powerful, fast, and overall fun to play as. His trailer was great and I fully intend to main him.[/collapse]

andimidna

Smash Master
Satisfaction of everything at E3:

Zelda U- very mixed on this. I was probably more hyped to see this than Smash Bros or anything, but... it was just a short teaser... and it was so... weird...
I don't know what to think yet. I get an odd feeling from it that I think is hype but I'm not completely sure :x

Smash Bros- breakdown-
-Miis 15%
-Palutena 100%
-Pac-Man 83%

-Gameplay 99% (the 1% is completely because of Rosalina's Final Smash... *sigh*... the Comet Observatory could have been so ****ing cool as a Final Smash (which was posted as a gif here yesterday)... it's just so useless. Being able to spawn the star wherever you want shocked me, and now that I think about it, it will probably help her set it up to be useful... but damn, some of the footage I saw made it worse, if it's not terrible, the people that are playing are. Seriously, once I saw a Rosalina player set off the Final Smash on top of the lights on the Little Mac stage, and those Star Bits only hit that platform, and they immediately jumped into the boxing ring, and were crushed by their own final smash as the platform falling KO'd them... yikes. I saw very few people taking advantage of the Luma, and damn, nobody used her pink color swap! I want to see what it looks like! Why is nobody using color swaps? I've seen her yellow swap twice and her green swap once. I've already seen her default look! Agh, that makes me mad, but I'll keep looking...

No Ridley- 0%
No Snake- 0%
No Mewtwo- 0%
No unrealistic character that I support- 0%
No DK newcomer or stage- 0%

Pokemon- 75%
Looked great, but there wasn't too much to see

Splatoon-
-Awesomeness rating- 90%
-How happy I am that they wouldn't stop talking about it- 5%

It was very cool at first, but eventually, they had covered it so much that once it came on again I used that time to play more Mario Kart 8 and go to get food. With Hyrule Warriors, there was actually 40+ minutes of things they could show. And they used all of their time showing new things and new gameplay, story, etc. Splatoon was the same thing for hours... and I got tired of it... it looks great, but I don't have enough money to buy everything that's great, so I'll probably end up skipping it for Smash or Zelda.

Bayonetta and X: 85%
No complaints. Not ecstatic, but they're very hype!

Hyrule Warriors: 101%
I may have been more hyped for Palutena in Smash, but Midna in Hyrule Warriors was a close 2nd, and overall, this game won the hype for me because there was 0 disappointment! I have thought about how awesome it would be to have a crew of Link, Zelda, Impa, and Midna... so it's kind of weird that it's actually happening, but it's so hype! I also love the idea of characters from other series getting in, especially Takamaru. And I love the villain 's boobs Cia!
Impa looks very important to the story judging on cutscenes, which is a first.
Zelda design looks great, which is not a first, but is still great.
AND MIDNA IS PLAYABLE. So... yes, I will be getting this game. DID YOU SEE THOSE MOVES SHE HAD?
All 4 of them just look so powerful.

Captain Toad- 100%
After I played these levels in 3d world, I said I wanted a full game of them. And enough people must have been vocal about also wanting this, because man they delivered! Wow!
Very fun, love these kinds of puzzles.
And Captain Toad is the cutest ****ing thing on the planet!

Amiibo- 60%
Ok, now we know about it. So let's get it going. I want more characters in Mario Kart 8! :p

Everything I didn't mention I'm pretty much neutral on, maybe a bit higher than neutral. Unless I forgot something...

I don't want to do math, I'm overall pretty much 75% satisfied. A good 20% or so lower than last year. I went in expecting more and was left wanting more.

Edit: oops predictions
Ridley: 23%
Sceptile: 15%

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
E3 Satisfaction: 1%

I would not give it such a low percentage if I was not completely disappointed. I wasted my time humoring Nintendo. I gave them my attention; I was not impressed in the slightest. The one percent was for the ill-conceived tournament that I actually enjoyed. However, I did not enjoy the missed opportunity of revealing Pac-Man in front of a large crowd of fans that Sakurai is "appreciative" of.

I was actually quite surprised as I expected some prominent franchises to be unveiled; alas, we did not get anything noteworthy aside from Star Fox and Zelda U (very minimal footage at that). No Metroid, no Majora's Mask remake, no Pokken Fighters. Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors were the only other IP that interested me aside from Smash, of course. If I recall correctly, these are both second party titles. Pathetic. Nintendo should not have unveiled the Mega Evolutions for the Hoenn starters as that left us with Sableye for E3. Most of the Wii U games reminded me of 3DS titles and there were not enough games for them to adequately demonstrate for three days. I am not sure how Nintendo expects to sell those mobile-esque games on a console that is suffering from an abysmal consumer-base. There was also quite a bit of anti-hype surrounding their behind-closed-doors round-table events that did not even run at their scheduled times; obviously they did not establish what it was properly which left thousands of people utterly confused by their incompetence. The Smash reveals were lackluster and basically confirmed our roster which is not a favorable one. We also got news that Smash 3DS was not only delayed, but that we would not get a world-wide release which is antithetical to previous statements.

Honestly, Amiibo excited me the most. AMIIBO! I am not even being sarcastic; that was literally the most hype aspect of Nintendo's E3 other than Smash. I suppose Amiibo directly pertains to Smash anyways, but still. Other than that, I enjoyed E3 for the invitational and non-Nintendo announcements. Star Wars Battlefront 3 and Mortal Kombat X were my favorite "announcements."

/Rant. Apologies for the pessimism (whiny ***** mode).

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'll keep it simple for tonight.

E3 Satisfaction - 100%
Not everything in the show was for me.
I won't be getting every game.
I didn't get everything I wanted.
And some things bothered me, like the mii fighters.

But, myself aside and all things aside, Nintendo had a phenomenal E3. Reggie said it clearly that it was all about having fun, and that's exactly what they did. It was about fun games, and fun experiences.
And they really did run with everything. The invitational was incredibly exciting. The Treehouse people did a fantastic job and led to one of the most information-filled E3s I have witnessed. The videos they did were entertaining, the products were all about playing with concepts and ideas and then going for it.

I really hope the industry learns from this very refreshing approach and it becomes less of a show and more of the fun and information-fest Nintendo gave us. Great job.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
E3 Satisfaction - 97%

Captain Toad: Yes
Yoshi's Yarny Yard: Yes
Smash Reveals: Yes
Zelda U: Yes but I need more footage
Starfox U: It exists
Canvas Curse 2: Yes
Mario Maker: Yes
Splatoon: Yes
Bayo 2: Sure but not a big cuhrazy fan
Xeno X: Maybe
Hyrule Warriors: Maybe
Devil's Third: Nah
Amiibo: Not sold yet
STEAM: No 3DS
Treehouse: The best

I honestly don't think Nintendo's had a better E3. Even looking back at previous great Nintendo conferences, both 2010 and 2006 seem much less overwhelming compared to this year. For me at least.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
100% E3 satisfaction. Nintendo outdid the entire competition, which nobody expected. They came out swinging this year with things like the Smash tournament, 3 new Smash characters, nationwide Smash demos, and a slew of brand new titles as well as updates on long-anticipated titles. I'm proud to be a hardcore Nintendo fan.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-E3 Satisfaction 80%
It was fun! Reggie knows the audience/fans and how fun-based and happy Nintendo must present itself as it was shown in the Digital Event short and that silly Giant Robot sketch. The only negative was that it ended on a flat note.

As for Smash we got 3 characters (same as last year) and some people had too high expectations with character reveals. I was happy with Pac-man, he's a legend and so adorable in the game. The invitational was fun and obviously I was rooting for Kirby to win. We got tons of gameplay footage that only added frustration at the fact that I still have to wait about 5 months to play the game.

-Splatoon: looks boring, we got too much of it. Not my kind of game.
-Hyrule Warriors: I'm completely sold with this spin-off specially with the amount of characters we're going to play as (Skull Kid here's hoping!) but the Dynasty series has a reputation of being repetitive so let's see.
-Captain Toad: looks cute, fun and a great puzzle/adventure game. On the downside I'll probably be frustrated by Toad's slow pace and his inability to jump.
-Yoshi new game: it's beautiful and creative.
-Zelda Wii U: loved what they're doing but they showed so little. Also, Link face is a bit off.
-Code Steam: looks cheesy, don't really like the steampunkesque imagery.
-Starf Fox Wii U: kinda weird they announced it without even showing an image still. It could have blown up the house.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I'll give my personal satisfaction scores for Nintendo's entire E3 roster.

Bayonetta 2 - 66%
It's quite odd that Nintendo is publishing this game, but nevertheless it looks like a fun action game. I don't know if I'll buy it yet.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - 85%
I loved the Captain Toad levels in 3D world and I'm super excited for a full game based around them. Also I love seeing Toad as a main character again.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. - 87%
This is basically Valkyrie Chronicles on a Nintendo platform. Must buy!

Devil's Third - 13%
I don't understand why Nintendo even bothered to buy the publishing rights to this game after THQ went out of business. This game is going to get drowned out by the hundreds of third person shooters on the market and most fans of the genre do not own a Wii U. Even if it turns out to be a good game it will still probably bomb.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse - 0%
Looks like a chore to play.

Hyrule Warriors - 100%
I originally had no interest in this game but it won me over completely. The combat looks incredible and being able to play as Zelda is a major plus.

Zelda Wii U - 80%
The details on this game are kind of vague, but the idea of a non-linear open world Zelda is very exciting.

Mario Maker - 15%
I'm going to be hated for saying this but this just seems like a poor man's Little Big Planet.

Mario Party 10 - 65%
Me and my sister have had a long standing tradition of buying every single console Mario Party game, however now that I've moved out this may sadly be the first one that I'm not not buying. Wouldn't quite be the same without her here to play it with me. Growing up can suck sometimes. :(

Mario vs Donkey Kong - 5%
The series has never interested me and this is no exception.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire - 77%
I don't normally buy remakes, I have no idea whether I'll buy this one. I'm hoping that they make enough changes to differentiate it from the original. I do not like Swampert's Mega Evolution at all.

Pushmo World - 53%
Looks like a fun puzzle game.

Splatoon - 67%
I have no idea what to make of this game, but it seems like fun.

Star Fox Wii U - 53%
We know almost nothing about this game so their really isn't much to say.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - 89%
I already missed out on one Xenoblade. I'm going to try not to miss out on this one.

Yoshi's Wooly World - 63%
Looks more interesting than Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Super Smash Bros 100%
I post here.

Honourable non-Nintendo mentions:
Mass Effect 4
Mirror's edge 2
Professor Layton X Ace Attorney
Fantasy Life

On the negative side, I was very disturbed by the lack of third party support for the Wii U, it makes me very pestimistic about the consoles future. Amiibo also does not interest me at all.

Overall satisfaction: 80%

Sceptile prediction: 12%
Ridley prediction: 37%

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
@ andimidna andimidna You are more hyped for Pale Tuna than Midna? I feel like I do not even know you anymore >.<
Yes, because someone told me how Zelda and Midna were leaked to be playable before the reveal :laugh:
I fully expected them after that, but I thought Palutena had a good chance of being a secret character.

I don't remember telling you.

If I did, I'm sorry, and if it makes you feel any better, it spoiled it for me too.
You tagged me where you were told, but don't think I was angry about it or anything...
We're comparing 101% hype to 102% hype :)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yes, because someone told me how Zelda and Midna were leaked to be playable before the reveal :laugh:
I fully expected them after that, but I thought Palutena had a good chance of being a secret character.
I don't remember telling you.

If I did, I'm sorry, and if it makes you feel any better, it spoiled it for me too.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
E3 satisfaction: 80%
Simply put: Nintendo won. I watched all the press conferences, and I was saying that the second I saw Robot Chicken :rotfl:

I think my thoughts on this were well stated by Reggie: "What's wrong with a little fun?". This is why I have always loved Nintendo. They do things different. It doesn't always work, but it's a breath of fresh air from most of the other games on the market. As for what was actually shown, overall I quite liked it. I will definitely be buying Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, and Zelda U (Oh my god that looks amazing!), Kirby Canvas Curse was fun and I will probably pick up it's sequel, I love puzzle games so Captain Toad's game is definitely on my radar (#captaintoad4smash). Amiibo looks interesting, although I will probably collect those more for the sake of collecting then using :awesome: And while I am not particularly interested in Yoshi, my baby brother will die for it, so I'm happy for that to.

As for the other games, I have no interest in Mario Maker, as I've gotten tired of all the Mario games recently, I don't need any more. I'm not to fond of remakes so the Ruby and Sapphire didn't get me hyped (Literally the only reason I was interested in those was for Mega Sceptile). I hate Bayonetta as a character, and could never stand her games. And as for X... it looks interesting, but it was such a buzzkill when I realized it wasn't a Metroid game -_-

(Prepare for rant!)

But the thing I hated most, surprisingly, was Smash Bros. The fight shown between Iwata and Reggie was pure gold, and I was actually ok with Mii's after I saw that. Then I heard "It would take 9 regular fighters to equal that number of moves"
SO MAKE 9 REGULAR FIGHTERS INSTEAD!!!!

Afterwards, Palutena's reveal, while I love her character, shouldn't have been there. She is not the kind of character they should have revealed at E3. The Smash community already knows her and was pretty sure she'd be in, and she isn't as popular as other characters outside of the Smash community, as the Kid Icarus franchise is still relatively small. This could have been fixed very easily:
:4palutena:<----->:4pacman:

Boom. Problem solved. Instantly recognizable face to millions of people that the majority of people outside the Smash community love. It baffles my mind that they didn't show Pacman in the Digital Event, it makes NO SENSE to show him behind closed doors. Plus it had Game and Watch at the end! Everyone loves Game and Watch!!!!

But there was one thing I absolutely despised about the Smash Bros presentation. Guess what it was? The release date. And more importantly, Japan's release date in comparison.

Let me tell you a story. When I first bought Melee, I had no idea who was going to be in it. Each character was a new and exciting addition, and I nearly wet myself when I saw Mewtwo. Fast forward to shortly before Brawl was announced and I couldn't wait to start the same process. And then we got the entire roster leaked and the entirety of Subspace because Japan got the game early. Long story short: I was pissed off.

And now it looks like the same thing will happen again, and I essentially have two choices. Either forsake the internet and my fellow gaming friends in order to avoid spoilers, or have the roster spoiled early. I despise both of those options. I want to feel the surprise and excitement I felt when I played Melee, not the dull "Oh, that's cool" I got with Brawl! And if I see on the internet that Ridley is playable, instead of the pure excitement of seeing it for myself, HEADS WILL ROLL!!!!

Rant over

Predictions:
Sceptile: 10%
Third most likely Pokemon character. Sounds good on paper, but in reality there's probably only room for two.

Ridley: 50%
At this point, there are two camps: Those that think he is playable, and those who do not. This will be an extremely polarized subject. However, I am going to say right now, if you say either absolute 0% or absolute 100%, you are probably either biased or an idiot. (I'm insulting myself with this, I fully understand my assurance he's playable is foolish)

That said this is to vague of a subject to have any defining answers, he was teased as a boss, yes, and could very well be one. However, his animations were jerky, behaves nothing like a boss, and he is at least half the size he was in Brawl, none of which makes any sense for a boss character. And since a logical conclusion can't be reached from that information, (No, teasing as a boss isn't enough. Palutena was teased on the Palutena's Temple stage and in the trophy section of the Direct. Palutena confirmed to be a statue?) claiming you know exactly what's happening with Ridley is essentially claiming you can read Sakurai's mind. In which case, you're probably insane and I pity you, as nobody could look into that chaotic, unfathomable place and come back in one piece. :troll:

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
E3 Satisfaction 100%

Smash reveals I really liked them except Miis but oh well nothing can be perfect

Splatoon this game looks really funny I like it already

Hyrule Warriors, Zelda Wii U; I like them really like them, sadly I am poor and can't have anything I want

Yoshi WW: Yoshi is my favorite videogame characters since childhood, I don't thick this game is targeted to me but to little kids, that doesn't matter the more games the better.

Well I loved a lot of stuff and if there were something I didn't I don't really care so 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom