• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Most hyped: Rosalina reveal
Already went over the connection to my childhood last time so yeah.

Honorable mention: Realizing how absurdly goofy Wii Fit Trainer is and deciding to use her (before Rosalina got confirmed)

Most Deflating: The "Pseudo-Scare"
Because I seriously thought that it actually was Palutena and I was screaming NO while my mom was next door.

Dishonorable mention: Little Mac's reveal

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Oh boy... I needed to think long and hard about this one, because I kept coming up with different things for each one. However, they both ended up being pretty much the same thing!

Most Hyped: Unexpected character reveals
When I see obvious characters like Diddy Kong, Marth, Olimar, Yoshi etc. getting announced, it doesn't really do much for me. I already knew they were never gonna get cut, why confirm what I already know? I was excited to see Little Mac, but not for very long, I was already sure he would be playable. Palutena won't get me hyped anymore, because I'm already sure she's in. I feel the same should be said for Ridley for me, but I've wanted him since I was 8, I'll die of happiness regardless.

But then there are those characters. The characters that I either worried about their chances of returning, wasn't expecting to be announced, or didn't think they had a chance to show up. Characters like Villager, Toon Link, Rosalina, Ike, I was so hyped to see these characters show up, because they were a surprise to me. Getting something that you either didn't think you'd get or didn't know you wanted is much better then getting something you knew you were going to receive. But by far, the best one of these for me would be:

Lucario is my #1 favorite Pokemon. I was ecstatic to see him in Brawl, and anxiously waited to see if he would return, but his chances seemed to be dropping every day to get into the new Smash Bros. Then one day, I was sick, couldn't sleep, was listening to some video game soundtracks that I like because I'm weird like that. I decided to check the Smash Bros website to see if we got anything cool, probably just a picture of the other side of Luigi's nose... and my brain exploded. Not only was I worried that Lucario wouldn't return, I was positive he wouldn't be revealed if he was. But the level of hype that hit me right there... that screenshot is a pretty good visual representation of what I was feeling. :D

Runner Up:

Only reason this didn't pass me up on Lucario was because of the sour taste in my mouth from some things in the Direct (Saki disconfirmation, the ridiculous amount of teasing, the initial "Oh, that isn't Mewtwo :confused:" moment) That all went away really quickly, because A) I was still sure Mewtwo was playable, and B) IT WAS GRENINJA!!!!!!!!! Best example of getting something I never knew I wanted. I love Greninja, he's one of my favorite Pokemon, narrowly beaten by Sceptile for the #2 spot. But I didn't think he had any chance whatsoever of getting into Smash Bros, but good god am I glad he did!

Most Deflating: This:

I woke up one day and went to the Smash website, and saw this. (Keep in mind, we hadn't seen any assist trophies until then) In one split second, my brain imploded. "Oh my god, Skull Kid is playable! I've wanted this ever since I was a kid, but I never thought it would happen!"... and then I went to Miiverse and saw Sakurai's quote.

I got over it pretty quick, I was just happy he was in the game, but going that high from thinking something was confirmed to have it immediately deconfirmed sucked.

Runner Up: Useless Pic's of the DayGood morning world, it's a brand new day, let's go see what Sakurai left us today! What could it be, what could it be? An item, a stage, a character, a new mechanic, a new-

:glare:

andimidna

Smash Master
Most hype:
ROSAfreakinLINA!!!

[collapse=over 9000 gifs]
http://youtu.be/E_-fHbBJf1o

She's my favorite of them all. Even after the direct.

Out of ANY roster.

http://youtu.be/QIF2ymcmOIk
http://youtu.be/hxZ2pTdxQHY
http://youtu.be/ZjgiCbgsr6c?t=5m
Those last 2 videos are THE BEST
And for luls:

[/collapse]
Obsessed?
Maybe.
...probably.

Also loved:
-Midna's Assist: Wanted her playable, but I am not disappointed with an assist
-Palutena's chances
-Every reveal except for Toon Link

Deflate: Still Toon Link
Everybody else brings something to the roster that I like
:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4diddy::4dk::4fox::4greninja::4kirby::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4olimar::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::rosalina::4samus::4sheik::4sonic::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss:
All of them.
But not :4tlink:

In fact, there are at least 5 Link clones I would have preferred- and even then- I'd still hate any Link clone.
Ravio, MM Link, Classic Link, Fierce Deity Link, and Dark Link would have all been cooler IMO.

Also didn't like:
-Tiki is probably not even an assist- I would have gotten over it, just like Midna, if she was anything more than a trophy-- but nope.
-Ridley's shadow- now I have to deal with people who think they were right the whole time and that he's deconfirmed and think I'm in denial. Thanks Obama Sakurai.
-Toon Link again (really just don't like Toon Link, sorry)
-Edit: and the release dates for each version

Last edited:

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
Most Hype Moment:
Ike's Reveal

I was beyond ecstatic to see Ike return because I was dreading that he would be replaced with Chrom. But to see him in his Radiant Dawn design and all jacked up, made hype for the game reach maximum levels for me. I mean, also added is the fact that I wasn't really expecting a character reveal that day. I remember reading through the Miiverse thread in the Wii U section and seeing him getting revealed live with all the excited users commenting and replying about Ike. It was such a memorable moment.

Honorable Mention: Megaman's Reveal

It was so awesome seeing him revealed at E3. And even though I like Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, Megaman really did most of the heavy-lifting in terms of bringing hype for the game to me.

Most Deflating Moment:
No Character Reveal Between Diddy Kong and the April Direct

That was really painful. Especially when I was expecting Yoshi to be revealed in March.

Honorable Mention: Ridley's Shadow.

Ugh, I just can't.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Most Hyping: Little Mac reveal

Most Deflating: 3DS releasing before Wii U
Not that I don't understand why, but I'm kind of saddened that I can't get the game unspoiled of secret characters.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Most Hyped: Greninja's trailer. I don't know why but trailers have always the things that hype me the most and by far the one that I found most hyped was Greninja's. It's weird because nor Greninja or Charizard rank anywhere near my favourite pokemon but that trailer definetly did it's job. I guess, it's those cinematics (Mario v Charizard) and the surprise of Greninja, who everyone thought was mewtwo (including myself). Then came the gameplay which included Mega Charizard X and Lucario with the cherry on top being Greninja's final smash.

Honorable mention: MegaMans trailer, for similar reasons to that of the Greninja one.

Most Deflating: Global Smash Power. I found it to be easily the most boring part of the direct. I really couldn't care less about it.

Honorable mention: Lack of newcomer reveals.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Most Hyping: Little Mac's trailer. Punch Out's soundtrack is phenomenal and hearing it be given the Smash treatment was enough for me to grab myself a copy of Punch Out Wii ASAP. The awesome comic-styled build up, Doc Louis's glorious commentary, and the fun-looking playstyle of one of my most-wanted characters made for one of the most exciting moments of pre-release Sm4sh for me.

Honorable Mentions:
- The return of Lucario and Ike. People saying that unique characters like these two would be cut for the sole reason that they were flavor of the month characters really irked me, and I was glad to see this reasoning disproved. Plus, Ike is my best friend's favorite character, so I was happy to tell him that he would once again fight for his friends.

- Mega Man's Final Smash. Enough said.

Most Deflating: The loss of the Pokemon trainer concept. No it didn't work very well at all, but I feel like it could have. Make switching less predictable perhaps, get rid of the stupid type advantages, make the stamina mechanic less annoying or drop it or SOMETHING. In the end, though, it did have too many design flaws, and I think I'm more sad because it means Ivysaur's probably gone. I really liked its playstyle.

Honorable Mentions:
- Gematsu Leak and Ridley's Shadow just for the obnoxious controversy alone.

- Toon Link's specials are still cloned. Toon Link got so many cool items and we're using NONE OF THEM?! I want to glide with the Deku Leaf! I want to smash people with the Skull Hammer! I know he works better than Link himself but c'mon!

- The disconfirmation of Dillon. I knew he was a long shot but I'm still kinda bummed.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hype-inducing

The release date of the 3DS version of SSB4. To be honest, I never really considered the possibility of the two games having a release date gap between each other. But now I've come to really like it. It's a huge plus for me because I've always been highly interested in handheld games ever since I've gone to college, as I barely have any time to play a console game. The "two music tracks per stage" disappointed me somewhat, but I'll always have Youtube to listen to the Wii U version's soundtrack.

Hype-deflating

Ridley's shadow.

Ridley's. ****ing. SHADOW.

Do I have to go into detail how much that very nearly killed my hype for this game? Playable or not, that was cruel move on Sakurai's part to taunt a character so highly requested (and controversial) in the Western fanbase, after 15 years of waiting for a real Metroid newcomer.

The fact that we still know next-to-nothing about Pyrosphere is another thing that pisses me off. Why are they being so secretive about it? If Ridley isn't playable, then they should have explained so ten months ago. There's no need for them to keep us literally in the shadows.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Most Hyping: Smash Bros. Direct
Everything about this game has hyped me considerably, much more than I have ever been hyped for a game. Even Brawl. However, the circumstances around this smash direct will only be the same for E3, and that hasn't happened yet.
Basically put, every other direct and trailer combination was extremely poorly timed with real life. I usually have a long commute from work which meant the direct would happen and I'd still be hours away from being home, meaning hours of avoiding all my websites to prevent getting spoiled. And then having to access the direct from the wii u without glasses since by then the smash trailers would be on the menu as well. Yes, they were hype worthy, but I never had the joy of a live one.
UNTIL, the Smash Bros. Direct. It was after midnight and my birthday, and I knew the chances of a newcomer would be zero since we all expected a direct to be announced for April. Along with this, I was in the middle of one of the worst ruts and depressions I have ever been in, and even getting ready late at night to wake up for work only about five hours later. It was a truly miserable time, and then I go to the website and see that beautiful Smash direct banner, with it scheduled for the 8th. Sweet lord, that was one of the best feelings, since at a tough personal time I had this wonderful thing to look forward to and be excited about. And more fantastically, the direct started precisely ten minutes after I usually would get home from work, so for the first time I would get to actually watch it live and interact with the community after the imminent smashboards crash. It was wonderful, and one of the most exciting periods of waiting.
And then the direct itself was, for the most part, sheer joy. Balloon Fight stage got confirmed and I had been wanting one so much. No characters I cared about got disconfirmed, more or less, so I had no pain from that assist trophy section. Then we had Pit's new final smash AND the pseudo-palutena troll which went from horrendous scare (seriously Sakurai, who does that) to pretty much confirmation my favorite Nintendo character is in the game. Then so many other gems like Wii Fit Trainer actually having an interesting characteristic, Little Mac providing evidence for extensive alternate costumes, Villager getting sillier, Megaman's face-melting Final Smash ... close it all with a beautiful summary of all the characters including the Smash 64 credits music, and then the surprise reveal of Greninja. Ten out of ten, that direct answered a lot that I wanted answered while still leaving a lot of questions and mystery for E3. To this day I still watch the direct in its entirety around three times a week.

Honorable mentions:
- Reveal of E3 plans
- Reveal of Gamecube controller adapter and tournament players/commentators/plans that reflect the interests of the competitive scene (forget characters for a moment, THIS IS HUGE!)
- First trailer + Mega Man reveal

Most deflating: Ridley's Shadow
Now, as much as I love the direct, the impact from this was kind of too big significant. We had just started with the direct and all that fear from that first Pyrosphere picture back in August reared its ugly head in the form of Ridley's shadow. Now, I don't care what your feelings are regarding Ridley's inclusion, but either way the Ridley situation is extremely ingrained in the past several years of the Smash community, since the Melee reveal. To see something so huge relevant to the community possibly get dismissed in the unceremonious way of a tease of a stage hazard's shadow was rather sad.
Of course, nowadays Sakurai's behavior does make me retain some optimism that perhaps the tease was done with the purpose to make a Ridley appearance that much sweeter, and videos like Relax Alax's have definitely given me hope once more that Ridley may still fly into battle. I guess soon we'll have an idea ... well, hopefully.

Honorable mentions:
- Information on Sakurai's condition and the threat of work to his health
- Lucario/Greninja reveals greeted with "But Mewtwo" backlash
- Ike reveal greeted with "But Chrom" backlash
- Reveal of female smash players in the tournament being met with sexist complaints and harassment from some smash players.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Most Hyping: Dragon Quest XI OR Wii Fit Trainer reveal
Can I say Dragon Quest news? If I can say Dragon Quest news it's gotta be the Dragon Quest XI slip by Yuji Horii! Obviously Slime is my most wanted character left (after Megaman and Villager who got in straight away), and being one of his most vocal supporters any big DQ news is exciting to me not just for the news but what it could mean for Slime, that news was the one moment in the speculation that I legitimately questioned if Slime was more likely than not! It was an exciting time!

If that's not allowed then it's gotta be the initial 3 reveals. Megaman and Animal Crossing Guy where my most wanted characters before it, and seeing them both revealed so quickly, and with such high quality, well made, charming trailers really made me excited for the game, and then suddenly Wii Fit Trainer! Riding off the initial set of characters I'd wanted was a character I never new I wanted, but I most certainly did! Her trailer was hilarious, and made me excited for the possibilities, it probably had more effect on my excitement than Megaman or Villager, characters I both wanted, because it reminded me of how wide the Nintendo universe is, and how inventive Sakurai is... I've since found out about Sun Salutations, which has soured me to Wii Fit Trainer by some significant degree, but the initial moment was priceless.

Most Deflating: Smash Bros. Direct
"In the previous title, Zero Suit Samus was designed to be not quite as strong, so I thought we had to find ways to strengthen her moves." (translation ala European Smash Direct subtitles).

I'm still worried about the balance because of this! Not as much as when I first heard it, but during that moment I was expecting the game to become even worse than Brawl...

Infact with the Wii Fit Trainer bubble bursting, The stupid global smash power thing, Ridley's shadow (which I now think supports him, but again, that moment), and the disappointment of not Mewtwo (I'm fine with Greninja now, if not too pleased, but that moment was painful) I think the whole direct sapped a huge chunk of my excitement for the game.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Most Hyping Moment:Greninja Reveal
Turned every smash speculation upside down, and was awesome.
Deflating: The Droughts
Sonic-Marth,Marth-Rosalina, Diddy-Direct, Direct-Ike

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Well, I havent had my HYPE moment yet, I am waiting for Takamarus imminent reveal at E3. :troll:

But...

Most Hyping Moment: Sakurais trolling in the direct.

Ridleys shadow, fake Palutena, ZSS not in the game, Greninja revealed while at the same time giving hope for Mewtwo... I laughed so hard that Direct.

Most Deflating Moment: None

Cant think of anything so far. Takamaru is not deconfirmed, all is good.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most hyping moment: Ike's reveal

I was incredibly concerned about Ike, I really wasn't sure what to think of his situation in general as I thought it could go either way. But not only did one of my mains return, but he returned looking a **** ton better than ever. Seeing Ike revealed was such an enormous relief.

Honorable Mention: Mega Man's reveal, since he's the one newcomer I actually care about.

Most deflating moment: Everything to do with Ridley

So yeah, I went from being incredibly sure of Ridley's inclusion to thinking he was flat out deconfirmed in a single second, that of course being because of the shadow. The whole Ridley ride has just been a pain, right from the moment Pyrosphere was announced August 20th 2013, and I wish Sakurai would just stop it at this point, spill the beans or shut up about it, the teasing is nothing but obnoxious, especially if you were there to see how he did the same thing with Brawl only to not deliver. I have very little hope that Sakurai will actually deliver on all this teasing, he knows Ridley is one of the biggest subjects in Smash discussion and therefore if he outright killed him a lot of speculation and talk about the game would die down with him, so he's simply using him as much as he can until he eventually has to deconfirm him, at least that's my prediction. Either way, if Ridley is by some miracle a character this will instantly go down as the most hype moment of any video game for me, but in the most likely scenario that Ridley is simply a boss I consider this one of the worst handled subjects ever and an enormous hype killer, and up to this point it's just flat out been a hype killer. The only reason this hasn't made me leave Smash speculation entirely is that there's still the small off-chance that Ridley is playable, and alas I love Ridley too much to not support him until the bitter end.

Honorable Mention: Gematsu Leak, I'm certain it's real, and I'm also fairly certain we won't get anymore newcomers than the ones listed in the leak. It simply sucks.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Most Hyping Moment:
E3 Trailer,
  • My second most wanted was the first to be revealed. He seemed to have a unique moveset that looked fun to play. Also, the memes that followed were funny at the time.

Most Deflating Moment:
No Transformations,
  • I'm still against this. Not only does it destroy the chances of my main from returning, but I feel like Sheik has less of a reason to be playable as I found the transformation very fitting for the character.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Most hype: Creating my Smashboards account, that was awesome.

Honourable mentions:
Rate their chances
The first E3 trailer
The Direct
Little Mac
Rosalina
Zelda's phantom slash
Summer release date

Hype deflating: Real life issues

Honourable mentions:
Website still being inferior to Brawl's Dojo
Toad not being playable.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Most Hyping Moment: Little Mac's Trailer/Mega Man's Trailer

I tried to pick between these two... and I just can't. Little Mac's was extremely fun, with lots of action and Punch-Out! awesomeness, and Mega Man, for being a character I didn't expect to get in, but wanted. Also: Props to Sakurai for using classic Megs.

Honorable Mentions: Skull Kid, Smash Bros. Direct, Custom Movesets

Most Deflating: 3DS before Wii U

My reaction:

WHAT Sokka.gif

I'm perfectly fine with this now, but for about the first 30 mins after I heard the news, I needed to take a long walk....

It was just a little disheartening to hear that the version I intended to play more was coming out latter... but I understand why Nintendo is doing this.

Honorable Mentions: Skull Kid, Smash Bros. Direct (ALL THAT INFO....)

Funny story about Skull Kid; He was disconfirmed while I was sick. Having your most wanted character disconfirmed doesn't help one's health. :glare:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Most Hyping Moment - Mega Man's Reveal

Currently the most amazing character reveal ever. I had to run around the block to remove extra energy. It was just awesome.

Most Deflating Moment - Solo Charizard

Goodbye, Trainer, Squirlte, and Ivysaur. You will be missed.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Let's see....

Most Hyped:
E3 Last Year, actually. Announcement of development on Smash has officially begun and both Mega Man and Villager are playable.
Runner Up; Little Mac's reveal.

Most Deflating Moment: Greninja's Reveal. Damnit Sakurai, we want MEWTWO not some schmoe who didn't even officially exist until after development began.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Most Hyping Moment:

The initial announcement of the new Smash Bros at E3 was incredibly satisfying, but one part of that really stands out...

HOLY ****.

I was patiently awaiting Smash Bros' E3 trailers, but I didn't watch the Direct. So, instead I scoured IGN's front page for updates. When I saw this on the front page, I was absolutely stunned and immediately went to find the trailer, and sure enough, it was amazing too. Finally, Mega Man is in Smash Bros. Finally, a full 3D version of the classic Mega Man. I don't think any of my most wanted characters will match the hype of Mega Man.

Honourable Mentions:

Rosalina Reveal, the Smash Bros Direct collectively, and, of course, right freaking now.

Most Deflating Moment:

Well, I don't really have a really deflating moment, though if I had to choose...

Oh boy. This shadow right here initially filled me with such dread and sympathy. I didn't support Ridley before this clip was shown, really.
I sort of felt a knot well up inside me, it was so bitter, especially since I predicted we might see Ridley in the Direct. So, sort of right?

Honourable Mention:

The crappy Pic of the Days really bummed me out. However, this one really stands out.

WHERE WAS YOSHI??

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Most Deflating Moment: Greninja's Reveal. Damnit Sakurai, we want MEWTWO not some schmoe who didn't even officially exist until after development began.
ouch genwunner much

I am certain the design of the starters was settled pretty early for XY (very important for the game). So Sakurai could have just went up to Game Freak and looked at which new Pokemon might be the most fitting for SSB4. Even so 6 months (Early October 2013- April 2014) was more than enough time for Sakurai to put him into the game.

anws

Most Hyped
Greninja's reveal: Unexpected yet wonderful for people

Most deflating:
Abstain

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
MOST HYPING MOMENT:
Mega Man's Reveal takes the cake. It's hands down the best reveal trailer I've see. The scene where Mega Man shoots the blades, with Mario narrowly dodging one and the other grating against Link's shield is seriously one of the most awesome and badass moments I've seen in gaming.

Honourable mentions:
- Toon Link's Reveal was a huge sigh of relief. I was so happy to see the little guy back.
- Isaac surviving the AT massacre. I thought for sure he was next when Saki was shown, but thank goodness, he wasn't.

MOST DEFLATING MOMENT:
It still is Wii Fit Trainer's reveal. I want to make it clear that I do not hate her,but if there was one moment when I really lost faith in Sakurai for a moment, it was then.

Honourable mentions:
- Greninja's reveal was some of it too. I was quite unimpressed that the trailer was deliberately made to tease Mewtwo.
- Ashley's AT confirmation. Being the OP of her thread, it's only natural.

Notably, these are the only moments when I was genuinely bummed for a while.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Hey, just got back from my honeymoon. It was a long, loooong flight...

Captain Toad Want: 100%
Gimme a Toad, please. I'd like it, and I'd know someone who would really be thrilled with it.
Aww shucks...(it's me right?)
MOST HYPING MOMENT: The initial E3 trailer

Nothing quite beat this. The initial E3 trailer when everything and anything was a possibility, nothing got me quite as hyped as that first trailer, with Villager and Megaman leaning towards what I'd considered highly deserving candidates. I'll admit I was a little more hyped before Megaman's helmet appeared because I accidentally mistook him for Isaac of Golden Sun fame, someone I was(and still am) hoping for to appear as a newcomer.

Honourable mentions:
"Peach's moveset may not be final" comment(naive though I was)
Little Mac's trailer
Yoshi's reveal FINALLY. Even if I think him standing slightly more upright is a ****ty excuse to keep him back for this long...especially since BOWSER is doing the same thing but is more extreme.
To an extent; the Charizard/Greninja trailer.
Ike's return! HOORAH! Everyone I know has one character they like now!

Most deflating moment: Rosalina's reveal.
I doubt I have to explain this one again. Having waited 15 years for an apparently important part of the Mario crew to finally get added only to have Rosie revealed sank my heart and killed the dream for me harder than anything else. Yes, there's a chance he could still get in, but Rosalina's existence was the biggest arrow to that dream. Aside from the arrow picture that appeared earlier in the day. Not a good day and probably the only time I've felt even slightly depressed about a video game.

I don't hate Rosalina(although Baby Rosalina was a waste of time in MK8), but her appearance killed the chances for my most wanted newcomer, and thus the largest section of my hype.

Honourable mentions:
Yoshi's non-reveal. Having a pic of Wii Fit Trainer and Villager posing in a bland stage instead on his game's release date wasn't a great comfort.
Meowth pokeball deconfirmation. I saw it coming. You saw it coming. There went my second most wanted. Still hurt a bit. Less than Toad though.
Goroh Assist. And my third.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Most Hyping Moment - Rosalina
My favourite Mario character and my most wanted Smash character gets in? FUUUUCK YEZ! I was ecstatic the moment I checked the Smash website after I came back home not being able to watch the Direct, so it was a good surprise to me and wasn't disappointed in the slightest when I saw her in motion. Peach clone my ass.

Most Deflating Moment - Saki Assist Trophy
This was pretty much the only thing so far that genuinely disappointed me, although I got over it pretty quick, I would've had him as a playable character.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Most Hyping Moment: Little Mac's Reveal

He was one of the characters I had really wanted. I already was really confident in his chances, especially because I suspected the Boxing Ring stage was a disguised Punch-Out!! stage. Reason this is the most hyping though, is because I did not believe he would be shown until E3 2014. If that wasn't enough, his reveal trailer is epic. (Doc Louis Narration, the music, etc.) Second runner would be Mega Man, but I am not a big Mega Man fan, but I am a big Punch-Out!! fan.

Most Deflating Moment: Ridley's Shadow

Ridley I want because he really should of been in by now. He's deserving, popular and a really cool character. He wasn't in my top five most wanted newcomers until I joined Smash Boards though. Then I realized that most people that really wanted Ridley had wanted him for a long time, and face a lot of mockery. If Ridley's shadow is indeed of a boss Ridley, there will be a lot of upset fans, and that is understandable. Having no Ridley is like if Ganondorf was not in. Both are iconic villains and from important Nintendo series. If that shadow is of a playable Ridley, the hype and sales of Smash are going to go up. If he is a boss, Nintendo will lose some money. The info drought in October was a close second.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Most Hyped: Megaman- As a hardcore Megaman fan I'm glad he's in.

Most Deflating: Ashley, Polar Bear, Samurai Goroh, Mr. Saturn and Waluigi- All from series with playable characters in the Smash Bros series but no revealed characters of the series in 4. This practically killed any suspense or mystique for speculation.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Most Hype: Megaman Reveal

By far the best moment for me. Megaman is one of those series that I have an extreme attachment to. After seeing Sonic and Snake in Brawl, I already knew that I would be riding the Megaman hyoe train all the way to the station. His classic look was an absolute delight to see,and I believe that it is tge best appearance choice.

And the trailer...

So well done. Reminded me of my struggles with old school Megaman games. So much frustration when you start, but once you start gaining ppwerups and beating bosses, you become stronger and start owning everyones ass. The trailer reflected this very well. The mega buster is all he uses until he dies. Infuriated, he remembers the abilities he has and begins to succeed. Wilys Castle from MM2 was a really good choice of music for it. So hyped.

Deflation: Toon Link

As redundant as he is, it appears that he is yet again the biggest clone we have. No surprise. They made no attempt to differentiate him from Link which is disappointing. Im not afraid to say Im not a huge fan of clones (semi clones are fine.)

Burigu

Smash Ace
Well this one actually took me sometime to think:

Most hyped moment: Palutena confirmed I have to say the direct, the music, the items, the format, the assist, the characters I loved every second of the direct, even liked the who's this trophy? section, I got a bit nervous in the Pseudo scare but nothing to bad, I don't see the direct as a deconfirmation masacre but as a way to see other characters getting in the game, that obvioulsy doesn't stand a better chance, but I am really sorry for you Tiki

Most deflating moment:
The temporaly new design of the tiara Viridi use in the PotD, fortunetely the direct fixed it to her original one

Before:
with roses
After:
classic.

Yeah really nothing dissapointed me yet

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Most hyping: Greninja Reveal
Honorable Mentions: Summer release date for 3DS version; Wii Fit Trainer Reveal; Ike's new design/arms

Greninja was a fantasy newcomer of mine. I never expected him to be in since X and Y was just released late last year, and I expected a Pokemon with more significane to the anime like Zoroark. The amount of hype I experienced was unbelievably high when I found out Greninja was announced. He's my fifth favorite pokemon of all time (the first four being, in order: Sylveon, Celebi, Bulbasaur, and Sceptile). I might have watched his trailer thirty times by now. I wanted him in sooooo bad, never expected him, and then got him. What could be better?

... This + Sylveon replacing Jigglypuff and Sceptile Sprouting up in Battle. Please, Sakurai. Please.

*edit
Most Deflating: Toon Link back with the same moveset
Honorable Mentions: Lucario's back; Gematsu Leak in general

Originally, I had Lucario's return in first place, but I thought about it some more and edited my vote to Toon Link coming back with his same lame*** Brawl moveset as my most deflating moment. Not only is it disappointing that he isn't using his unique Windwaker tools, but it's an omen of clones and semi-clones to come. Nonetheless, I'm still irked by Lucario's return. I really wish Lucario was cut and replaced with a second Pokemon newcomer- and no, I'm not just talking about Sceptile. I could name a hundred Pokemon with better design and potential for moveset/interesting mechanics that should have gotten in over Lucario.

Last edited:

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
MOST HYPE MOMENT: ROSALINA REVEAL
My excitement could not be contained when I saw Rosalina revealed. No lie, I literally gasped really loudly and screamed. I absolutely love her, she is a great character originating from an amazing game. Not to mention how amazing her moveset looks. I would go as far as to say she is my favorite video game character of all time.

And I think I secretly am attracted to her
MOST DEFLATING MOMENT: ALL LEAKS IN GENERAL
What can I say? I like to be surprised. (Also Toon Link with the exact same moveset)

Laniv

Smash Champion
Most Hype-tastic: Villager's reveal
Animal Crossing was the one franchise I really wanted a character from. Since that got filled pretty quickly, I'm pretty much set for newcomers.

Honorable Mentions: Luigi's early reveal, Rosalina's reveal, Female Villager, Ike's reveal

Most Deflating: Post-Direct Massacre
I really wanted Meowth or Lyn or Samurai Goroh to be playable. At least I've got Isaac...

Honorable Mentions: Toon Link's reveal with the same moveset.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Most Hyping: Little Mac reveal
I was neutral on his inclusion until I saw his trailer. It was the most hyping thing I have ever seen besides the project m 3.0 trailer and I still watch them both monthly. I can't wait to play him. He will definitely be my main, and even if I'm bad with him, I will practice until I'm good.

Most Deflating: Greninja reveal
This was absolutely horrible. I was watching the direct and I was so hyped for everything I saw. The character montage at the end was just the icing on the cake (and that was the best cake I'd ever had). I was just about to shut down the computer and go to the hype city in my head, when it happened. I saw all of the pokemon lined up and Charizard was on the top of a mountain. Then I saw all of the characters using their projectiles and Mario running forward, and then I saw it... I thought I had seen Mewtwo charging up the most epic energy ball ever. I was so excited. You know how I said the montage was the icing on the cake? Well, seeing "Mewtwo" in that cave was like giving me a second cake with more icing than the first! Then once Mario and Charizard were about to collide "Mewtwo" fired off his ball of pure hype and I saw a figure hanging from a tree. But it wasn't Mewtwo, my second most wanted character. No, it was Greninja. All of the cake just exploded in my face at that moment. It went on to showing some clips of Greninja's moveset, but I was too mad to enjoy any of it. I was so close to getting my favorite character from my favorite series playable in smash 4, but it was snatched right from me. I was mad the rest of the day, and even having a video game debate with my uncle couldn't cheer me up. I ate a glorious dinner that day, but I was too busy thinking about how Greninja had gotten in before Zoroark and even Meowth and about how much excitement was ripped from me when Mewtwo was teased like that to enjoy it. I never have and never will look at Greninja the same way again. I will now and forever think of him as the hype thief.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Somehow I wrote this and forgot to post it?

Just as before...

Most hype moment: Mega Man's reveal

Best newcomer trailer, still, IMO. The music, the showcasing of the moves, great stuff.

Least hype: Ridley in the Smash Direct

For obvious reasons.

Honorable mention: Little Mac's reveal. I mean, it was fine as far as Little Mac himself, I was just so expecting a DK character and the lack of a DK newcomer in that Direct made and still makes me worried about getting a DK newcomer at all.

Nothing against Little Mac aside from him being a little boring conceptually (comparable to Marth). If a DK newcomer doesn't get in, it will have had nothing to do with Little Mac anymore than any other character, obviously.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Most hyped :

Rosalina's reveal (at first)

OH MY GOD, IT'S A NEW KIRBY AIR RIDE, wait what, rainbow road, mario kart ? Kirby is playable in Mario Kart 8 ?
Rosalina is playable in smash ? But I wanted that new kirby air ride !

Most deflating :
Ridley's shadow followed by Dark Samus as an AT followed by Sakurai trying to be funny by saying that ZSS is cut !
2 months after the direct : Still pissed off !

Special mention for :
Seeing Starfy, my old most wanted character back in brawl being discomfirmed on christmas, it really wasn't the way I wanted to start that day.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Most Hype: Little Mac's Trailer

It was both awesome, and funny. Enough said.

Honorable Mentions
Megaman's Tailer
Game's First Trailer

Most Hype Killer: Charizard Gone Solo
My main was Pokemon Trainer, specifically Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Honerable Mentions
Ridley's Shadow
Useless Pic Of The Days
Gematsu Leak

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
@Brawler610 I've finished reading through all of the posts, but I didn't take tallies of votes. Do you have any tallies made, or should I skim back through and grab them? By the way, one of your honorable mentions is an honor--and you should know that you've been a major part in making that happen.

Hey, just got back from my honeymoon. It was a long, loooong flight...

Aww shucks...(it's me right?)
Erm... sorry, but I was actually referring to a neighbor and friend that I play Smash with on a near-weekly basis. He really wants three things: Toad, K. Rool, and a return of Falco. However, I certainly didn't forget about you on that day; I factored an 100% want score into Captain Toad's score for you. Consider it a (really pathetic) wedding present.

If you don't mind me asking, how did the honeymoon go? I've been wondering when you were going to be coming back.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I got it in, don't worry! I always factor in those scores that are posted between when I "end the day" and "announce the results."
Oh, thanks! I wasn't sure if I missed the cutoff, so I was worried that I caused some trouble.

Most Hype Inducing: E3
-It was a really fun time to be a part of the fanbase. We got a major trailer that confirmed a favorite and a character we thought wouldn't be in the cards, and got the fanbase to an all-time high in terms of hype. Also, in terms of speculation, it was also a good time as we could talk about how we loved the newcomers, got surprised about WFT, talked about the stages, what characters could we expect, and so on. I really enjoyed that week, and I hope this E3 is just as good.

Honorable mentions:
Greninja Trailer
Lucario/Ike Reveal

Most Deflating: Ridley Shadow
-Mostly because it almost completely shot down a favorite of mine that I've wanted in the game, as well as gave way to many really hostile debates.

Dishonorable mentions:
Sonic-Marth drought

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom