• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
White Toad Can't Jump: 0%
I may have made that joke yesterday, but I think it stands. Captain Toad is defined by his inability to jump which means he's not smash friendly.

Want: 0%
I don't want a character who can't jump either... Though I wouldn't mind an AT if he gets a puzzle game of his own.

Red Dozer: 0.1%
Let's be honest, the girl's not the important bit... Her game isn't a series, and is long dead... I think she's been replace as an AT by Tempo, and she's just a trophy now, but I think that's only slightly on the likely side (55%) the rest goes to her just staying the way she is!

Want: 30%
I LOVE Drill Dozer! But the game's all about drilling, and platforming with very limited jumping abilities... it's a slow puzzle game, and that doesn't exactly suit Smash... Moreover all she does is Drill (well, and punches once in the final battle), even with the propellor that's only one more move, anything else would have to be made up, and I don't think she's worth it.... I do however like her more than Captain Toad, and really really want to see a sequel one of these days, so her being in Smash would be cool as a hint that a sequel will happen soon... not that it'll ever happen...

Spyro: 0.14%
I didn't nominate for the chance score, it's all about that want... but really, he should be 0! Skylanders didn't even come out in Japan 'till AFTER the roster was decided, and the localisatioon was handled by Square Enix (of Slime fame)!
That said if this was the alternate reality where Nintendo agreed to Skylanders exclusivity deal they wer offered I could see Nintendo picking up the localisation and it being second party in Japan, while being popular here and helping create the Wii U's foothold... it would be a very different story, and I think he'd be one of the big contenders for Third Party rep... But it isn't, which imo sucks!

Resseti: 0.36%
At least he's Nintendo... but his AT has a fair chance of being replaced even, and we have Villager, who's honestly enough...

Well, I think it's time to start deciding what to vote next...
OP character*2
Item: Wii Fit Meter (Wii Fit U)
Item: Double Cherry (Super Mario 3D World)
Item: Camera Obscura (Fatal Frame/Spirit Camera)

I'll decide which to focus on soon...

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Captain Toad:

Chance: 1%. I feel if we were to get any form of Toad, it would have been the default Toad. Captain Toad's main distinct feature is his inability to jump; obviously, that is a big problem for a playable character in Smash Bros.

Want: 5%. I never really cared to see a Toad playable at all (unless, of course, it is Toadsworth).

Jill Dozer:

Chance: 2%.
What does it matter if she survived the Direct AT massacre? Her one game is an unknown GBA title from ten years ago. While she could be a unique fighter, it would also be quite difficult to incorporate her drill into a functional moveset.

Want: 5%.
I would like to see how she would play if she was included. But I have never played her game, so I ultimately don't care that much.

--- Predictions:

Spyro: 0.15%.
Mr. Resetti: 0.12%.

--- Nominations:

Aran Ryan x5 (Proving Mac has cheeseburgers in his gloves since 1994!)

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Jill Dozer - 0.1% Sakurai likes an occasional obscure character, but not obscure with little historical value. She is also limited to the mobility and moveset of her drill, much as Balloon Fighter is to his balloons. She is best suited as an AT.
Want - 0%
Captain Toad - 0.1% This was a good outside-of-the-box thinking nomination at least.
Want - 0% I want the real thing one day, not the "star" of a fun, but random segment of Super Mario 3D World.

predict Spyro 1.25%
Mr. Resetti 2.5%

nom: Dr. Eggman x4, Flynn x1

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Captain Toad:
Chance: 5%
Want: 20%
I'd rather have Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario. Heck, I'd rather have Regular Toad, and I'm not too interested in Toad as a playable character.

Jill Dozer:
Chance: 3%

Predictions:
Spyro: 0.09%
Mr. Resetti: 1.95%

Nominations:
Metal Sonic x5

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Well, I missed Fawful due to an interruption in my life, but I'm fine with it.

I'm glad to see my favorite little bean had both a chance and want increase, though I look down upon the people who gave him very low wants.
How dare you.

Anyway, I'll post today's ratings later.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Well, I missed Fawful due to an interruption in my life, but I'm fine with it.

I'm glad to see my favorite little bean had both a chance and want increase, though I look down upon the people who gave him very low wants.
How dare you.

Anyway, I'll post today's ratings later.
I know the feeling, and I would have increased him too.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Captain Toad:
Chance: 0.1%
  • Toad the most iconic Toad is again a Peach special
  • Another Mario character seems unlikely but who knows?
  • Mario franchise is really well represented already if you count only Mario, Luigi, Peach, Rosalina and Bowser it only gets worse if you count the other subseries.

Want: 5%
  • He is really funny and coward, a thing already done by Luigi
Jill
Chance: 0%
  • Not popular enough, not relevant enough, not known enough, not retro enough?
  • Not all the assist tropies were revealed so her not being shown in the direct don't rise her chances

• Assist trophy is good, even if the assist trophy is missing this time I am ok with that
Nominations.
Bandit x 5

Spyro: 0.023%
Mr Resetti: 2.02%

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Captain Toad: 1%
Again, the chances of a 6th Mario character are very low. Toad is already a part of Peach's moveset, and Captain Toad isn't quite that prominent in the games as Blue Toad is.

Want: 40%
Not really. I'd rather see Toad proper in Smash 5 than Captain Toad in this game.

Jill: 1%
She's most likely an AT again, not shown yet. She was in only one GBA game, so doesn't have the "Retro" Trump Card either.

Nope. She's interesting as a character, but I don't want her.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I said this about K Rool, but I now think Toad is my most wanted character, simply so all the people saying 'he is a move' can be shocked and say 'I never saw it coming,' despite directly being given points.

That said> not captain toad

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Captain Toad

Chance - 0% - Poor Toad, who died some time before. I'm ratting him the same.

Want - 35% - I'd prefer The Toad over any Toad, to be honest.

Jill

Chance - 0% - If Gamefreak wanted another non-Pokemon charater, I'd think they'd go for Tempo, instead.

Want - 47% - Drilling around could be fun, but there are alot of charaters I'd want instead.

Predictions

Spyro - 0.04% - Ha. No way.

Mr. Resetti - 0.25% - We got our Animal Crossing charater. We don't need another.

Nominations
Fountain of Dreams Stage X5

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Captain Toad:
Chance: 5%
Better than normal toad, but still unlikely.
Want: 55%
Why not?
Jill:
Chance: .2%
She was made by gamefreak if I recall correctly, and they would certainally prefer to promote Pokémon or Harmonight.
Want: 50%
Neutral.
Nominations:
Mallox2
Metal Sonicx2
Frederick ATx1
Predictions:
Spyro: 2%
Resetti: 4.27%

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy... Captain Toad
Chance: 1% You're part of Peach's moveset, even if you have a headlamp.
Want: 5% It's a cool headlamp, but that's about it.

Kill Jill?
Chance: 1% No recency, and she works as an AT.
Want: 50% I'm indifferent.

Predictions:
Puff the Magic Dragon: 3%
Resetti: 6.4%

Nominations: Doctor Lobe x5

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Captain Toad Likelihood: 1%

Jill Likelihood: .5%
Want: 55%

Spyro: .35%
Resetti: 1.98%

Rhythm Rerate x5

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Captain Toad
Chance: 15% want: 50%

A second Mario newcomer seems unlikely to me but if we had one I don't see why he wouldn't stand a chance, although I'd bet on Jr first.

Jill
Chance: 10% want: 55%

A survivor from the at massacre but without much in favor what she had last time. If she had a new game under her belt shed rate much higher but I think she's going to stay as an assist or become a trophy.

X5 Barbara

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
YES. I WILL RATE THIS WITH YOU. :o
Thank you for the support :)

Captain Toad
Chance: 0.5%, Unlikely
Want: 15%
I like Toad, but not as a fighter, and not as much as I like other Mario characters.

Jill
Chance: 1%, also unlikely
My curiosity is piqued a bit, but I don't have much attachment to the character.

Oocoo and ooccoo Jr. x5

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Captain Toad
Chance: 2%

Not a very good chance, because the Toad is pretty disconfirmed. Putting a helmet on the guy doesn't really help either. Can he even jump? (Well they can make him jump, but his chances still arent good.) Hes fairly new, and may have a spinoff series coming soon, but it would be too late at this point if we get a game just for him. Hes not as important as regular Toad, I would be surprised to see him in before or instead of regular Toad.

Jill Dozer
Chance: 4%
Want: 30%

Dont know too much about her, she could be an interesting choice. She suffers because she has very little exposure to the outside world other than Smash. She could be upgraded to playable status, but its not very likely.

Spyro: 3.3%
Resetti: 2.4%

7 Pokemanz x5

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Was terribly tempted to make this day four of zeroes, but upon further reflection I'm willing to give one of today's candidates some benefit of the doubt.

Captain Toad - 1%
The general consensus seems to be that Toad is, if not deconfirmed, than very unlikely. It's this doubt in the most famous incarnation of the mushroom people that gives at least some hope to the most recent member of the species, Captain Toad. He's appeared in three major Mario console releases and even became playable in the recent 3D World, so he seems to be a character on the rise in the single biggest franchise Nintendo has. Now, that doesn't make him at all likely for Smash, considering Rosalina has already appeared as a Mario newcomer and he's got much more notable competition like Bowser Jr. to contend with, but it at least makes him plausible enough to be worthy of a bit of chance.
Want - 50% - I like the Toads, but I've never really felt they should be playable in Smash. I guess he could be cool?

Jill - 0%
Drill Dozer was a truly wonderful game, one I immensely enjoyed back when I played it, but it's also nearing a decade in age and appears to have suffered from very poor sales (~50k). Jill may have snuck in as an assist trophy in Brawl, but considering the series has stayed dead in the time since then, there's absolutely no reason to believe Nintendo would now revive what was a flop or that Sakurai would otherwise include a character that has so few existing fans. If Saki couldn't be upgraded from an assist trophy, as an example, why should they upgrade Jill? I simply can't see it happening.
Want - 100% - Prove me wrong Nintendo. Bring Drill Dozer back for a second go and get Jill in Smash and I'll give you my money and hype.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Captain Toad
Chance: 0.1%
Want: 12%

I really don't see Toad appearing in as a playable character in any form. I'd like to have regular Toad as a character but that's not happening.

Jill
Want: 10%

Unfortunately the gal hasn't done anything since her first game. It's possible she might not even be an Assist this time!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People saying Captain Toad cannot be in Smash because he cannot jump in 3D World... we have had characters who didn't jump in their games.

Ness and Lucas don't jump in Mother games. Olimar doesn't jump in Pikmin games. Villagers don't jump in Animal Crossing games. R.O.B. is a NES peripheral and is only capable of moving its arms and nothing else.

Also, Smash =/= canon. Sonic is capable of swimming in Smash but he cannot swim in his games. Also, Smash plays with a different set of rules from 3D World and other games anyway.

Point is, if you are going to rate his chances low, at least use other reasons that are a bit more reasonable besides "white Toads can't jump LOL".

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
People saying Captain Toad cannot be in Smash because he cannot jump in 3D World... we have had characters who didn't jump in their games.

Ness and Lucas don't jump in Mother games. Olimar doesn't jump in Pikmin games. Villagers don't jump in Animal Crossing games. R.O.B. is a NES peripheral and is only capable of moving its arms and nothing else.

Also, Smash =/= canon. Sonic is capable of swimming in Smash but he cannot swim in his games. Also, Smash plays with a different set of rules from 3D World and other games anyway.

Point is, if you are going to rate his chances low, at least use other reasons that are a bit more reasonable besides "white Toads can't jump LOL".
If you're trying to call me out, just quote me next time...

And the big difference is that Captain Toad's defining attribute is his inability to jump, it's the entire basis of his levels in 3D world... That's not something you can wish away because it's inconvenient. The closest example is Olimar who's (apparent) inability to jump actually effects game play because he can't jump up ledges, but that's still not his defining feature, that'd be throwing Pikmin around... something I remind you he does in Smash Bros.

It is true that Smash has disregarded stuff like this in the past (Falcon fighting without his car, or Ganondorf's moveset in general), but this is not the past, this is a future where DK has a roll move! They aren't going to flagrantly ignore the character's most defining feature to make them fit into smash!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If you're trying to call me out, just quote me next time...

And the big difference is that Captain Toad's defining attribute is his inability to jump, it's the entire basis of his levels in 3D world... That's not something you can wish away because it's inconvenient. The closest example is Olimar who's (apparent) inability to jump actually effects game play because he can't jump up ledges, but that's still not his defining feature, that'd be throwing Pikmin around... something I remind you he does in Smash Bros.

It is true that Smash has disregarded stuff like this in the past (Falcon fighting without his car, or Ganondorf's moveset in general), but this is not the past, this is a future where DK has a roll move! They aren't going to flagrantly ignore the character's most defining feature to make them fit into smash!
I like how you think I was calling you out when I wasn't but fine, I am quoting you now. Inconvenient? Are you aware that the reason Captain Toad cannot jump is because his backpack is really heavy, right? That's the best Nintendo can come up with to justify the no-jumping gameplay of The Adventures of Captain Toad.

If that backpack is such a huge burden, Sakurai can just add a rocket jetpack to Captain Toad's backpack to explain why Captain Toad suddenly can "jump"... his backpack is too heavy because it got a rocket jetpack inside but it lets Captain Toad "jump" just like how R.O.B.'s base was retrofitted with rocket boosters to justify R.O.B.'s sudden ability to "jump".

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I like how you think I was calling you out when I wasn't but fine, I am quoting you now. Inconvenient? Are you aware that the reason Captain Toad cannot jump is because his backpack is really heavy, right? That's the best Nintendo can come up with to justify the no-jumping gameplay of The Adventures of Captain Toad.

If that backpack is such a huge burden, Sakurai can just add a rocket jetpack to Captain Toad's backpack to explain why Captain Toad suddenly can "jump"... his backpack is too heavy because it got a rocket jetpack inside but it lets Captain Toad "jump" just like how R.O.B.'s base was retrofitted with rocket boosters to justify R.O.B.'s sudden ability to "jump".

If they did that it's not Captain Toad anymore...

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Ugh, it's like the balloon fight stage all over again. Spend so many nominations to get a concept rated and right before we're there, they go and confirm it T_T
Or it can be like Sceptile being rated the day before the R&S remakes were announced.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Captain Toad Chance: 2%
I don't think he's noteworthy enough to be as likely as a regular Toad... but he's close. I give some kind of Toad a 5% chance; I basically called him deconfirmed after the first time he was shown off, but I've taken the Alfonso Principal more seriously lately.

Captain Toad Want: 100%
Gimme a Toad, please. I'd like it, and I'd know someone who would really be thrilled with it.

Jill Chance: 5%
One of the less-likely, yet still plausible AT upgrades in my eyes. I think her relative obscurity and low sales will fail her, but movepool could save her.

Jill Want: 75%
This would be a pretty good surprise pick, but there are other characters I would prefer to see.

Double Trouble: Ridley and Rool x5

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Captain Toad
2.62% chance
31.79% want

I put in a 100% want score for our resident newlywed. @YoshiandToad. Even so, the Toad Brigade ultimately failed in supporting their Captain. Maybe he's not the best.

Jil Dozer
3.36% chance
38.06% want

It takes a much stronger drill than what Jill possesses to drill into the heart of the players. Although she out-performed Captain Toad, her day certainly wasn't great.

Let me do this a little out of order. Tomorrow we will be rating NFC Smash Trophies (great timing!) and Barbara from Daigasso! Band Brothers. Please predict how they'll do. Now, onto the reason I announced that first. The data for who we were supposed to rate today... has been reset.
Reset.

Reset.

Erm. Hello. This is Mr. Resetti of the Reset Investigation Bureau. Just an hour ago, I was sitting at HQ, minding my own business and watching one of my favorite movies. Before you know it, there was sirens everywhere, and I got ejected right at the best part of A Few Good Moles. I'm telling you, that kind of stuff just isn't good for a man my age. Don't those young punks know care about their elders anymore? Man, it makes me really, really want to get back into boxing; I'm sure a few mole elbows could teach that idiot with the pointy hair a lesson.

Anyway, this thread is now the site of an investigation. I'm afraid that means this game will have to be cancelled for a few days. We can't have a bunch of civilians running through a high-profile crime scene, now can we? So, you--get off of this thread.

WHAT? Did you just tell me to get lost? RAAAAAAAAARG! You need a lesson in manors, kid! You know what? Don't leave this thread. Stay here! I want you to tell me how sorry you are for that last comment. I'm going to say something, and I want you to repeat it back to me. OK? So, say "Resetting is bad."

Nah, I'm just not feeling that response. You're mumbling, buddy! I've felt more sincerity from my doctor before. We're going to have to try this again. I'm going to say something, and I want you to repeat it back to me. OK? So, say "I'm dirt. DIRT!"

Uh... erm... yeah, I guess that works. Just remember what you learned here today. So, just set me up with a little you-know-what, and you're free to go.

Well, I'm waiting. Come on. I can hear those pockets jingling. Pay up, already! It's not like I'm a highway robber or anything like that--I'm just asking for a couple bells. All I need is a small tip for all of my trouble.

YOU LITTLE BRAAAAA-----aggggh!

...my... agh... listen, kid. You know what? I need a break. You play some sort of game here? Let me help run it for today. I need to let go of some steam. I think you're rating me and Spyro in chance and want. So, you can get rating.

One more thing... your teeth stink. Do you even floss, stinker?

NOW, RATE!

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
-Spyro
Chance 5%
Want 10% I had fun playing Spyro back in the day but I don't want him in Smash.

-Mr Resetti
Chance 0% - too unpopular to happen.
Want 0% - most annoying AT in Brawl.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Spryo:
Third Party character that has no chance, he's not an important character to the gaming world, mainly Playstation, company isn't as close to Nintendo as others, there is just to much in his way to even have a shot.
There is only room for 1 purple dragon in Smash Bros, and Spyro isn't as big a deal. :troll: (But srsly, I don't want him in Smash. There are other 3rd party characters more deserving then he is)

Mr. Resetti:
Mr. Resetti was an Assist Trophy in Brawl, and if he returns, that is what he will be. We have our Animal Crossing Representative, if we were to get another it would have been Tom Nook, who is more recognizable and iconic to the series. Mr. Resetti isn't even on the radar.
I cringed every time I saw him come out of an AT, I do not want him returning even as an AT. I saw an idea of having Fawful replace and act like him, which would be so much better in my eyes.

All Zeroes. Cynicism for the win!

Predictions:
NFC Trophies: 30%
Possible, but we don't know enough about them to make any real educated guesses.
Barbara: 4%
Unlike Resetti, possible, as she reps her own franchise. But like Jill, very very very little chance of actually gaining a slot.

Double Trouble: Ridley and Rool x5

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Spyro-
Chance: 0%. Let's face it, Skylanders killed him. Killed him bad. They took Spyro as their coverboy, made the game big, and then threw him down a deep, dark shaft to mediocrity.
Want: 95% I love Spyro, I loved the old Spyro games, and Spyro has a lot of moveset potential. And he would made an interesting quadrupedal character utilizing multiple jumps.

Resetti-
Chance: 0%. Villager basically reps the entire series by himself. And Resetti would be the worst option. What would he do? Talk everyone to death??
Want: 0%. If it was possible to give him a negative percentage, I would. He might be my most hated character in video games because he solely exists to be annoying.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Spyro
Chance: 0% - He didn't even make it into Playstation All Stars Battle Royal, does anyone really think he has a chance here?
Want: 84% - Not that I'd be against it of course.

Mr. Resetti
Chance: 0% - He'd never be considered. We already got an Animal Crossing rep for this game.
Want: 0% - SCRAM!!!!

NFC Smash Trophies prediction: 90%
Barbara prediction: 2%

Nomininations: Calling to the Night x5

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Spyro

Chance 0%

i can't see it what so ever no comment

Want -5%
Im dead serious a negative percentage of want even though i know who spyro is heres why

I only want 1 other purple dragon and thats this guy

Mr resetti

Chance 5%

Uuuh no hes easily just going to stick with assist trophy status. (as one of thr bad assist trophys back in brawl.)

Want 0%

I lost all want for him being a chatter mouth in brawl.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
The extra nominations post has been updated.
Ratings tomorrow.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Spyro Likelihood: 0%

Mr. Resettie Likelihood: .1%
Want: 10%

NFC: 85%
Barbara: 5.36%

Rhythm Rerate x5

andimidna

Smash Master
Spyro:
Chance: 0.3%
Like the 16th most likely 3rd party character... yay?
Want: 35%
Okay.

ReseT:
Chance: 0.4%
If I were choosing AC reps, I'd pick 'em like this:
1. Villager
2. Tom Nook
3. Isabelle
4. Tortimer
5. KK Slider
6. ReseT
7. Everybody Else

He beats "everybody else" at least.
But Tom Nook and Isabelle are the only AC characters that somewhat deserved to be playable IMO
With them deconfirmed, along with Tortimer deconfirmed and many others in the "Everybody Else" category done, it's extremely likely that there won't be a 2nd AC character. It's bust or bust. I'd give ReseT a 0.4% and KK Slider a 0.6%... and everybody else a 0.05%, so basically, I think the chance of 2 AC characters at this point is 1%... much lower than what I would have rated it a few days before the direct... probably about 30%, but things aren't looking so good now.

Want: 0.1%
That .1 is because it would mean the removal of his awful assist, but the lack of the other 99.9 would be because it would mean he's playable.
No want. But not a flat-out 0 like I'd give to characters like Bandana Dee, Waluigi, Tingle, Roy, and Miis. Complete 0s are reserved for my 5 most hated characters. Unless we decide to rate something completely off the radar like Toon Sheik or Magnus. But I doubt that's going to happen.

Pre:
NFC- 92%
Barbara- 2.9%

x2 Shia/Cia (I will build this up and finish it off once everybody likes her ;) )
x3 Chrom re-rate (How will Ike affect this...? Hmm...)

Looks like Ayumi will finally get to be rated on Monday!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mr. Resetti

Chance: 1%

Unless the devs are very creative with his moveset, he won't make the cut.

Want: 100%

If they do give him a creative moveset, then I would gladly play as him!

Spyro the Dragon

Chance: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% (You no longer have to break your calculator, Groose.)

Activision's (previously Universal Interactive's (NOT SONY'S; they never owned the property)) beloved purple dragon has so much going against him:

-- The classic and, to an extent, Legend incarnations of the character are often associated with (plus the series started on and has sold more on) the PlayStation brand...
+ ...but he actually made more appearances on Nintendo platforms than PlayStation.
PlayStation
  1. Spyro 1 (PS1, PSN)
  2. Spyro 2 (PS1, PSN)
  3. Year of the Dragon (PS1, PSN)
  4. Enter the Dragonfly (PS2)
  5. A Hero's Tail (PS2)
  6. The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning (PS2)
  7. TLoS: The Eternal Night (PS2)
  8. TLoS: Dawn of the Dragon (PS2, PS3)
  9. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (PS3)
  10. Skylanders: Giants (PS3)
  11. Skylanders: Swap-Force (PS3, PS4)
Nintendo
  1. Season of Ice (GBA)
  2. Season of Flame (GBA)
  3. Enter the Dragonfly (GC)
  4. Attack of the Rhynocs/Spyro Adventure (GBA)
  5. Spyro Orange/Fusion (GBA)
  6. A Hero's Tail (GC)
  7. Shadow Legacy (DS)
  8. TLoS: A New Beginning (GC, GBA, DS)
  9. TLoS: The Eternal Night (Wii, GBA, DS)
  10. TLoS: Dawn of the Dragon (Wii, DS)
  11. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Wii, Wii U (Japan only), 3DS)
  12. Skylanders: Giants (Wii, Wii U, 3DS)
  13. Skylanders: Swap-Force (Wii, Wii U, 3DS)

-- Spyro actually isn't very popular in Japan. It's to the point where only FIVE out of SIXTEEN of the aforementioned games were localized there. Does anyone really think that Sakurai might be a fan?! Does he even know who Spyro is?
-- Sony/Superbot couldn't pay the dough to get Spyro (alongside a certain orange bandicoot) in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale...
+ ...but that game had a smaller budget.
-- While Skylanders is technically the second reboot to the Spyro canon, Spyro himself is not the center of the series. That's probably why Giants and Swap-Force lack his namesake in the titles.

The few positives don't come close to outweighing the negatives. Sorry, Spyro.

Want (Classic Spyro): 80%
Want (TLoS Spyro): 80%
Want (Skylanders Spyro): 50%

My opinion on Spyro is similar to that of Solid Snake; he's more of a PlayStation character than a Nintendo one. The only difference is that Snake already appeared in Brawl, so I do have a bigger attachment to him as a Smash Bros. fighter than I have to Spyro.

Predictions

NFC: 70% (I predict some bias against the feature affecting chance ratings)
Barbara the Bat: 1%

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom