• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
What if I want to play as Hitler from Bionic Commando or Wolfenstein?
I would be impressed if you could make that happen. Though I would think it would be pretty difficult to differentiate them from the actual Hitler.

I would probably mistake it for the real Hitler, because, you know, that's who it is.

Smady

Smash Master
@ NickerBocker NickerBocker They're not the exact same Hitler. Probably not possible to differentiate on a Mii.

To be honest, the fact that Miis will be so highly moderated, meaning it may just be self-inserts or original the character, reduces the appeal. Honestly, I think eventually online everyone would like a "no Miis" option, whether it's offensive or simply annoying content.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Pacman
Chance: 70%
Want: 30%

Mii
Chance: 48%
Want: 0%
  • I simply can't see them playable taking the spot for a more interesting addition
  • I have seen people saying that they can have a "sport" based moveset in evidence of their games, you know which other characters have the same "sport" moveset argument going for them? Waluigi and Daisy, so basically any character that don't have a main game story element in their series but appear in every spin off people going to play the sport moveset card and it's not that original. ( I don't hate on Waluigi or Daisy or think sports are the only option for them just pointing out what somepeople say).
  • The whole idea of the custom moveset is throw out of the window by now.
  • The whole "they can ban offensive Miis" yes they can, but monitoring is not as easy as it might be, just look a Miiverse, lots of people even ask to "chat with girls" or "looking for girlfriends" going so far to asking for a particular age and see the person message just being erased rather than the person banned.
If they are in it's not going to be a big deal to me but in general I don't think they deserve the spot

At this point giving Lip more than 10% is being quite generous

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
By the way, the lack of a possible Mii stage doesn't mean anything. Not every character's franchise has to be given a stage.

Case and point: Falcon and Ness in Smash 64, Marth and Roy in Melee and ROB in Brawl.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Pac Man: 70%
The Special Flag and Galaga AT are obvious proof that Namco are being given a little more freedom than originally thought.
Want: 50%
I can think of worse ideas for a third-party characters, but I don't like third-party characters, to begin with. Nothing against Pac Man.

Mii: 80%
While I'm still a tad on the edge about this, I think they've all but got this in the bag.

Why do Find Mii and Pilotwings have different icons? Because there are multiple franchises associated with Miis. To put them all under the Mii logo would be more than overkill.

But what about the use of Miis as online icons? Sure, you'll be associated with your Mii, but that was also true for Mario Kart 7...where Miis were playable. Miis being tied to profiles just goes to show how iconic they are. It's hard to own a recent Nintendo platform and not know what a Mii is.

Same goes for the Prince Mii in the Find Mii stage. Miis are so diverse and used for multiple roles within the same game that I think they could get away with a playable character and a simultaneous stage cameo. Worst case scenario, stuff Alfonzo in the cage.

Want: 85%
The hate for these things is completely overblown on this site. People need to realize that Smash Bros isn't just a game for the "hardcore" crowd. There are people I know who don't even know 95% of the characters they're playing as, but they love Smash Bros to death! Sure, I love it when Sakurai throws a bone to the people whose childhood was a living and breathing SNES/N64/GameCube, but I also understand that the characters we play as need to be All-Stars. Miis have definitely achieved that title.

It's kind of like the Wii Fit Trainer. Whether or not you bought it, that game sold like hot cakes for a different demographic. And whether you like it or not, the Wii Fit Trainer became a familiar face. Was this face familiar to "hardcore" gamers? I'm sure there were people like me who play both Smash Bros and Wii Fit, but generally, no. And I think that's why she gets so much crap. In a similar light, people hate on the Mii, not because of their familiarity, or because of their moveset potential, but simply because they don't like them. It's ridiculous.

Rant over. I went with 85% because, while I think they would make a natural addition, and would love to see them, they aren't make-or-break characters, by any means.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Pac-man: The legend.
Chance: 90% Namco are working on it, we have Sonic and Megaman in already...and I can't think of anyone more iconic to gaming history other than...well Mario and he's is naturally in it, I'd be more genuinely surprised if he's not added, and incredibly disappointed.

Want: 100% He needs to be in. You have all the others present: Mario (obviously), Sonic and Megaman, thus you need the daddy of gaming (other than Pong, but that's not really a character..., and pong is an AT....(all they need now is a space invaders level I will be going crazy with joy)).

Another thing, if I recall hearing something correctly (so could be wrong, and if I am, I apologise), Mario wouldn't have existed if it wasn't for Pac-man.
If that isn't showing a characters worth for being in (Other obviously he's not Nintendo, but neither are Megaman or Sonic, or Snake (if he returns, which he might)) then it'll be a great loss (at least for me).

I also think Pac-Man could work in Smash, I've heard some people out side of Smash Boards saying he wouldn't have a moveset, or be very interesting, but neither did Peach and one was made up for her which is pretty varied (though should still have some SPP moves in it), and Little Mac made punching awesome.

Sooo...added to Namco working on this, if they can't come up with something interesting for Pac-Man, then I would be shocked, more shocked than when WFT, Rosalina or Greninja were revealed combined together!
(Also I can't help but hope that his final smash would be classic Pac-Man, and you go across the screen eating opponents and picking up cherries and stuff. I just think that would be awesome.)

Mii:
Chance: probably 90%

Want: 5% I just...urgggggggggghhhhhhhhh there are so many characters that exist that I would prefer over Mii... In fact probably nearly every character in existence...I might even prefer Bubsy the cat over Miis, and that is really saying something (It's a close one mind). So the idea of Mii's getting in over literally anyone I want, would be the worst thing that could have happened to me Smash reveal wise.

Sure you could sort of play as 'yourself' or some very basic attempts to make other character you created? but...that option in over...Ridley? K. Rool? Dixie? Toad? Bowser Jr? Mewtwo? Shulk? Waddle Dee? Samurai Goro? Saki? Isaac? Anyone else who's ever been an assist trophy? (I know not all the characters have been deconfirmed, but you get the idea) The list could go on.

I just think they should add more characters first, then maybe add Mii's once literally everyone important or in some way deserving is in.

Unless of course the Mii was Nikki and her final Smash was BANNED!
Okay lame ramblings over for today.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Pac Man: 70%
The Special Flag and Galaga AT are obvious proof that Namco are being given a little more freedom than originally thought.
I can think of worse ideas for a third-party characters, but I don't like third-party characters, to begin with. Nothing against Pac Man.

Mii: 80%
While I'm still a tad on the edge about this, I think they've all but got this in the bag.

Why do Find Mii and Pilotwings have different icons? Because there are multiple franchises associated with Miis. To put them all under the Mii logo would be more than overkill.

But what about the use of Miis as online icons? Sure, you'll be associated with your Mii, but that was also true for Mario Kart 7...where Miis were playable. Miis being tied to profiles just goes to show how iconic they are. It's hard to own a recent Nintendo platform and not know what a Mii is.

Same goes for the Prince Mii in the Find Mii stage. Miis are so diverse and used for multiple roles within the same game that I think they could get away with a playable character and a simultaneous stage cameo. Worst case scenario, stuff Alfonzo in the cage.

Want: 85%
The hate for these things is completely overblown on this site. People need to realize that Smash Bros isn't just a game for the "hardcore" crowd. There are people I know who don't even know 95% of the characters they're playing as, but they love Smash Bros to death! Sure, I love it when Sakurai throws a bone to the people whose childhood was a living and breathing SNES/N64/GameCube, but I also understand that the characters we play as need to be All-Stars. Miis have definitely achieved that title.

It's kind of like the Wii Fit Trainer. Whether or not you bought it, that game sold like hot cakes for a different demographic. And whether you like it or not, the Wii Fit Trainer became a familiar face. Was this face familiar to "hardcore" gamers? I'm sure there were people like me who play both Smash Bros and Wii Fit, but generally, no. And I think that's why she gets so much crap. In a similar light, people hate on the Mii, not because of their familiarity, or because of their moveset potential, but simply because they don't like them. It's ridiculous.

Rant over. I went with 85% because, while I think they would make a natural addition, and would love to see them, they aren't make-or-break characters, by any means.
Great post. I feel like Pac-Man and Miis being put together is actually rather perfect. Both share a lot of the same similarities in terms of popularity. They're both characters that have a very real chance of getting in, especially due to many leaks, but for some reason garner hatred simply because someone doesn't like them. It doesn't seem to be fueled by knowledge or level of impact, but simply by dislike, which is odd.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
pacman - 72.50%
I was expecting Namco to get items, but still that's probably not the only thing their getting, so pacman chances increase much noticeably,
want - 65%
eh, i'll admit, I've warmed up
mii - 61.50%
honestly people are thinking to far into this, in my eyes nothing has happened, the king mii in the cage could have been a simple case of wasn't made yet when we saw the cage without him when the picture was first released, and was done when the direct was shown, or maybe some hazard or background element puts him there or makes him escapes, and I find the logo pointless for something as iconic as the mii, they don't need any stage with the same logo to hurt/help their chances. to me nothing really change, so i'll just take their current score and round it to the .25s percents
want - 5%
still see little interest and much hate
Takamaru - 36.35%
greninja is going to put some hurt, nothing too bad though
lip - 18. 29%
lip stick confirmed = pessimism

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man -
Chance: 90%
Being part of the Sal leak, Namco co-developing the games, close ties to Nintendo, and Namco items revealed makes him inevitable. Nothing against Pac-Man himself; I just don't care for third parties in Smash. It would be neat if he has his Pac-Man World design as an alternate costume.

Mii -
Want: 80%
Mii is another character in the Sal leak, has 3 Mii centric stages revealed so far, would be extremely popular with casual players (I know a ton of people who'd like to duke it out as themselves against Nintendo's best), is an integral part of Nintendo's games, and would fit perfectly as a customization option for Villager.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Mii playable as an alternate costume for Villager via Mii Masks (an Animal Crossing staple) or as a standalone fighter at this point. I'm betting on Mii Masks due to Villager's up special being inspired and named after a Nintendo Land minigame along with his Wii Sports inspired attacks. This would perfectly represent Nintendo's most prominent avatars in one slot. If not, I can just as easily see Mii as their own standalone fighter.

As a more casual gamer myself, I've always liked playing as my Mii in Mario Kart and other games where they are available and would enjoy their inclusion.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Pac-Man

Chance: 60%
While bring a third-party dampens his chance a little. Mind you the game is being made by Namco-Bandai.
That should mean something.

Eh, I'm not against him. Just don't care about him.
If anything, I consider Mega Man the better of the two. But that's just me.

Mii (implying Mii isn't customizable)

Mii is pretty much Nintendo's little star. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets in.

Want:
Now, this is a funny one.
I don't mind Mii, but that depends on how you make him out.
Or, if he's customizable.
If not, then 85%, if he/she/it does, then 20%

I've already stated my though against the idea of customization. So long story short it will just end up with them being the next Meta Knight.
I also consider it time wasting. As it makes more sense just to work on other characters than to fill all this time and effort into one character.

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Great post. I feel like Pac-Man and Miis being put together is actually rather perfect. Both share a lot of the same similarities in terms of popularity. They're both characters that have a very real chance of getting in, especially due to many leaks, but for some reason garner hatred simply because someone doesn't like them. It doesn't seem to be fueled by knowledge or level of impact, but simply by dislike, which is odd.
Thanks. Literally the only thing I have against Pac-Man isn't even related to the character. But I've definitely softened up to his inclusion after realizing just how out-of-place Snake was. Pac-Man makes way more sense.

Miis are a perfect fit, but because they're "casual", they're instantly abominable.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Pac-Man:
Special Flag and Galaga are already in. Why would they go to the trouble of putting in Namco arcade items without a Namco arcade character? Don't even bring up Lloyd, that is just dumb.
Want: 100%.
3rd most wanted character, behind only Toad and Mewtwo. A perfect fit for the All-star action of smash.

Miis
Chance: 50%
All I can say is: eh, maybe maybe not. The reveal that customizable moves happen on all characters is pretty damaging to the Mii's chances, in my view.
Want:
I don't really know, it depends on how they are implemented.

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
To be honest, the fact that Miis will be so highly moderated, meaning it may just be self-inserts or original the character, reduces the appeal. Honestly, I think eventually online everyone would like a "no Miis" option, whether it's offensive or simply annoying content.
I thought that was the whole point of the Mii? You know, put yourself in the game, so to speak. It was intended to be an avatar of yourself. Yes, there should be some artistic allowance, as in appear as whoever you want, but in my experience, people make offensive Mii's for the LOLz. The joke is getting pretty stale.

The no Mii's option could work, but there comes a problem: Mii could have, and most likely will IMO, a unique moveset. Not allowing Mii's online would be earth shattering for those people who end up maining Mii. I dont think that would work (Unless you were suggesting the "no Mii's" option would set the Mii to a default appearance, then nevermind.)

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
It warms my heart to know that Omastar inexplicably managed to outrank a decent amount of characters :3 :139: oh look he also has his own emoticon =D

Pac-Man
Chance: 78% There's nothing stopping him from getting in if Sakurai Wants it
Want: 30% I wouldn't hate it, but I'm not going to be excited about it unless he has a really interesting moveset... which given the base material, might be sort of hard to accomplish.

Mii:
Chance: 40% The Find Mii stage makes its chances iffy to say the least.
Want: 25% Same thing here. Not the kind of character I would constantly want to see fighting online either so...

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
I thought that was the whole point of the Mii? You know, put yourself in the game, so to speak. It was intended to be an avatar of yourself. Yes, there should be some artistic allowance, as in appear as whoever you want, but in my experience, people make offensive Mii's for the LOLz. The joke is getting pretty stale.

The no Mii's option could work, but there comes a problem: Mii could have, and most likely will IMO, a unique moveset. Not allowing Mii's online would be earth shattering for those people who end up maining Mii. I dont think that would work (Unless you were suggesting the "no Mii's" option would set the Mii to a default appearance, then nevermind.)
Simplest solutions would be is if Mii is a Villager customization option, have it where you can't use Mii Masks online. If Mii is a standalone fighter, since your NNI is tied to online play, have it where you can only use the Mii tied to your NNI during online play.

EDIT: I just remembered, online play allows you to also report players, so you could easily just report someone who uses an offensive Mii.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Pac-man
Chance: 85% It says quite a bit that Namco has items in the game when Snake and Sonic only had assists, item-wise in Brawl. And if any Namco character is getting in, it's probably gonna be the Pac. Sure one could argue that the Animal Crossing series had no reps in Brawl despite a stage, assist, and item, but that's a first party franchise. Can you imagine Nintendo being like, "Hey guys, can we use some Namco items? Oh, but no characters. Just some items." That would just be weird to me.

Want: 60% I've warmed up to him in the past couple months, but I'm still mostly indifferent to him. I mostly would want to see him just to see what kind of moveset he would have.

Mii
Chance: 65% I think if they were gonna be shown playable, they would have been shown in the direct. And they were shown in the direct...as a face of a profile, as a stage element. Mostly I'm just thinking that that would be a relatively small thing Sakurai could've slipped anywhere in the direct: a little, "hey you can play as your Mii, too!" I dunno. I guess imagining a whole trailer for them is just weird to me. On top of that, most of the things I can see them doing are already attached to other characters. Villager has boxing gloves and a bowling ball. Peach has a golf club and a tennis racquet. Ness has a baseball bat. Everyone and their mother has a sword....On the other hand I'm sure they've got a bajillion things they could use from Wii Play and Wii Party, and lord knows they'd be pretty easy to implement. Eh, we'll see.

Want: 20% I don't care for them. I'd shrug if they were in the game, but I really don't care for them.

Predictions:
Takamaru: 42% I guess?
Lip: 7% Not that I know much about Lip, but what I assume would be her main weapon is an item already.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Pacman 90% want 99%
Mii 70% want 20%

Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable characters and I'll accept the Namco items as hint. Pac-Man is also very important to video game history so he's not just any third party he's pretty high ranking,

Mii will probably use magic and sword properties from their Find Mii game but I hope they use more than that. They're more or less Nintendo's latest mascots but I don't really like them much for smash at least.

Last edited:

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
Pac Man
Chance: 85%
Judging from the Namco related items he's a definite possibility and he's as big a icon as Mario is so he his chances are higher than other characters. He has been in a ton of Nintendo games so people be trippin.

Want: 90% I grew up with Pac along with Mario Sonic and Megaman so seeing them all duke it out is a wet dream.

Mii
Chance: 60%
They only get a 10% boost due to supposed leak and that's it.

Want: 30% No thanks

Takamaru
Chance: 45% It's possible but it seems a tad slim

Want: 70% Terribly underrated and obscure and he might be interesting. I see him in a lot of roster predictions for some reason.

Lip
Chance: 20% No clue why people think she is getting in.
Want: 10% eh

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Pac-Man
-Chance: 75%
Why would there be the Namco-specific item and no rep? It seems all to likely, but something could happen and he doesn't get in.
-Want: 10%
Sorry to his fans, but I rather not have him.

Miis
-Chance: 50%
It's up in the air for me; either can happen.
-Want: 0%
I don't ind them appealing at all...

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
My reasons have been explained in the other user's posts. Once again, when Nominations and Regular Ratings Return, I return to my system of PVC.
Wakka (Not the Blitzing kind)
Chance: 75%
Want: 80%- This might come as a shock to you RTC Vets. My last one was 10%.
So I've decided to take a better look and accept the newer Pac-Man design. Other than the teeth, it's still great in nature. I think I'm going to really accept Pac-Man from now on as I know that Sakurai would likely have to plan him in advance to prevent another Brawl issue. Heck, if they used the design without the teeth I'd be real happy!

Mii- I can't think of anything. My modesty prevents it.
Chances: 40%- Variety of reasons. Direct helps and hurts.
Want: 00.00%- Modest & Anti-Narcissist poster here. Don't ever expect me to like Miis. The fact that their main gimmick is global makes them less unique in my eyes.

Predictions:

TakaSamuraiWarrior- 40%
Lipstick is an item- 12%

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Pacman:

Chance - 99%
Namco favoritism (in spite of promises that it doesn't exist), Sal's leak.

Want - 55%
Don't care about the character at all, but his fans have dealt with so much d**kheadedness from detractors, I'd like them to have the last laugh.

Mii:

Chance - 99%
Sal's leak, precedent of Sakurai changing his mind from past negative statements set by fellow prop-spammer Villager.

Want - 0%
Kill it with fire. The worst possible newcomer choice imaginable, and hopefully the straw that breaks the back of the camel that is the "all Smash newcomers are gifts from god aka Sakurai, how dare you not love any of them" mindset.

Predictions:
Takamaru -
48.97% (Greninja causes another score takes a hit for no good reason)
Lip - 12.34% (mostly negative, boosted by a few "she could still happen!" idealist fans)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
As one of the "all Smash newcomers are gifts from god aka Sakurai, how dare you not love any of them" mindset (I'm a huge fan of Sakurai since everything he's touched has led to fantastic memories and experiences in my life), I actually feel the Miis have a very minor effect in breaking that mentality. If you refer to my post you'll see Nintendo's promotion of Tomodachi Life and online control are making me more tolerant of the idea of Miis, so it really isn't a problem for us groupies.

I'd actually argue that poor third party choices, like no Pac Man, would do that more effectively than the obvious inclusion of one of the current faces of Nintendo. Now that I'd have a beef with.

Last edited:

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
PAC-MAN

Chance: 15% - Other than the leak ( I'm not a believer just yet) and Namco Bandai's hand in the making the game, he's got nothing - his chances are no better now than during pre-Brawl.

Want: 20% - I was never a Pac-Man fan. However, if he is playable, well-made, and has a very good trailer, his satisfaction score will be higher.

MII

Chance: 50% - It can go either way.

Want: 0% - I still say noo.

Takamaru Prediction: 85% - One of the most anticipated retro characters.

Lip Prediction: 15% - One of the most wanted retros, but not considered likely.

D

Deleted member

On a personal note, I am not a big fan of Miis.
I have no animosity against them, but I just hate the concept of playing as myself in a Smash game. My main Mii on my 3DS, Wii U, and Miiverse is nothing more than a "o3o" face (I'm dead serious). Heck, when I play games like Wii Sports Resort or Wii Play, I find myself having a good time... because I am playing as Miis that look like Nintendo characters. That helps me immerse more into the game... playing as a character that looks like me doesn't.
Outside of the penis heads and Hitler thing, I am opposed towards their inclusion for that reason; I don't want to see a character that looks like me (or is supposed to be me) be in a fighting game. Moveset potential won't save them from the inevitable disappointment that I would receive. Again, it stinks because I desperately don't want them in Smash... but I'll have to accept them if that leak is true and Shulk is playable.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pac-man - 72%

Honestly, I think the Namco assists hurt his chances more than they do help. It's been stated "Namco will not be getting special treatment" and I highly doubt Sakurai will go back on his word, though otherwise it would make perfect sense for him to be playable at this point, it all fits together very well, but unless we see Assists or items from several different Sega, Capcom or Konami series, then I won't be as certain of Pac-man's inclusion as I once was.

Want - 80%

His strong fanbase is pretty much the sole reason my want for him is this high. If not for his fans then I would be completely indifferent to him. I also do see some appeal in Mario, Sonic, and Pac-man in the same game, along with Snake and Mega Man.

Mii - 35%

IIRC in the Direct they were said to function simply as avatars displayed along with some online stats, something like that. The info in the Direct hurts their chances.

Want - 0%

I don't mind racing as myself or a fictional character in Mario Kart....but in a game filled with various playable Nintendo characters, I don't want to see myself going online to end up fighting a Mii designed to look like the player himself/herself, a historical figure, some fictional character, or has the facial features arranged to look like....I don't even want to say it.

Takamaru prediction - 79.66%

Lip Prediction - 11.04%

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mii:

Chance: 65%
I'm not sure if I believe the Sal leak, but I've always seen them as fairly likely. They're iconic, they're popular (among the casual crowd), and they just honestly make sense. The 30% doubt is just there because of Villager's recovery being called "balloon fight" and him having boxing gloves and a bowling ball. A Mii Mask is very possible. The other 5% is the unlikely case that Miis make no appearance even as a Mii Mask.

Want: 60%
Indifferent for the most part, but I have a few original Miis that I'd enjoy playing as.

Predictions
Takamaru: 80%
Lip: 11%

Groose

Smash Champion

I don't normally have any control over what characters we rate and when we rate them; however, now that I do for the moment, I'm trying my best to make days as interesting and efficient as possible. The characters in the upcoming days share days with similar characters; I put Pac-Man and Miis together because they're the "leaked and likely but unpopular" duo; tomorrow is Retros and the day after that is Fire Emblem; then we have "missing ATs" followed by back to back Zelda days.

...onto my ratings...
Pac-Man: 80% chance
Before the Direct, I gave him a score of 66%, and I think that was a very fair score based on the evidence at hand. I'll run through it again because it still very much applies to his situation now--Pac-Man is the mascot of the company developing the game and a legendary video game character who is more famous than almost every fighter currently in the game. Additionally, his company is trying to resurrect him with a new show and game, and Sakurai is permitting only the most legendary third-party characters to enter. Seems like a match made in heaven, huh? Oh, and Pac is the subject of a certain leak that can't be dismissed out of hand.

I think the Direct and the press kit that came with it have certainly helped him even further. We've seen not one but two Namco items take the stage, and we've also seen a Final Destination that is reminiscent of Soul Calibur and some other miscellaneous changes that seem more like Namco's style than Sakurai's style. Before the Direct, we didn't know if Namco would be doing anything other than working on the game; now we know that they have also entered into negotiations with Nintendo for having actual content in the game.

I'd be pretty darn surprised if we didn't see a Namco character playable in this title, and I'd be even more surprised if it weren't Pac-Man. He is their mascot and the biggest character they have; Lloyd and a few others are technically possible, but highly, highly unlikely.
Pac-Man Want: 100%
@ Pacack Pacack told you a story today, and I'm sure you found it very moving. I think it's about time I told you a second--one that I've never shared before.

There once was a boy who grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia. He loved playing video games from the time when he was just five years old. His favorites at the time were mostly on the N64, a system that he would play at his best friend's house on a regular basis because he did not own one. Even so, he also enjoyed arcade games--he had a Namco Plug 'n Play system before he had a true gaming console, and he always loved two games of it in particular: Pac-Man and Dig Dug. Although he didn't really play it much once a Gamecube and a game called Melee showed up under his Christmas tree, Pac-Man and Dig Dug still held a special place in his heart.

However, Pac-Man established a deeper link to the boy's heart when he was eight years old. The boy's faithful German Shepard had just had a strange injury of some sort, and it was having trouble walking. The dog had to "leave," which left the boy pretty down about things, so his parents sent him to his aunt's house a couple of times. While he was there, he played one of the few video games his aunt had--Pac Man World 2 for the Gamecube. It wasn't a particularly amazing game and the boy can remember little about how it actually played, but he can remember one thing about it: playing Pac-Man made him--made me--happy in a difficult time.

Back in pre-Brawl, I was one of the few who was a Pac-Man supporter. Back then, we didn't have the whole "Namco is making the game" advantage--very few people talked about him and fewer still actually liked Pac-Man. This never stopped me for wishing a cast of five third-parties (Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Spyro [story for another day]). Although I wasn't surprised to see Pac-Man excluded from the game, I still wanted to see him. The day it was announced that Namco is making the game, I was happy because I thought it meant Pac-Man--and I remain optimistic to this day.

Pac-Man is at the bottom of my top ten most wanted characters list because there are others who I think would be cooler and who I have a much deeper connection with. Even so, I am a Pac-Man supporter--he brings up good memories and the thought of him getting in just makes me happy.

*AHEM* Onto Mii.
Mii: 66% chance
Before the Direct, I viewed Mii's as equal to Palutena as the closest thing we have to a lock. What I said back then--and still say now--is that Miis are the most important Nintendo characters not yet in the game. Everyone who will be playing this game has a Mii, and a great deal of gamers--especially younger ones who have no idea who the heck the likes of K. Rool and Little Mac are--want to play as themselves. Miis are generally hated upon unanimously on sites like Smashboards, but among less-passionate fans, they're a popular candidate. Also, they pop up in what seems like every game as playable characters nowadays; why wouldn't they in one like this where they try to include as many Nintendo characters as possible? Nintendo will definitely try to heavily work Miis into this game.

One thing that has changed for me since the Direct, however, is my own thinking. We've seen Miis in stages, Miis in menus, Miis everywhere--maybe this is good enough for Miis. Maybe Sakurai doesn't dub them as Nintendo All-Stars and rather sees them as things to incorporate in other ways. Maybe he realizes how much the more passionate and longstanding fans of the franchise dislike the idea of Miis as playable characters. I just don't know.

I still see Miis as probable characters; I no longer see them as near-certainties.

Mii Want: 33%
I love Miis in general; games that many of you probably deem "too casual" like Wii Sports and Wii Party have occupied me for hours. Even so, I have little desire to see them in Smash; in a game filled with lots of great video game characters, playing as myself seems pretty underwhelming. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter. I do doubt we'll see a huge dominance of Miis on online play; there are tons of other cool characters to pick and they all play very, very differently, so I doubt any single character will dominate the others, including Miis.

DAY OVER

CAN'T... THINK OF... WITTY COMMENT...

andimidna

Smash Master
I have a few original Miis that I'd enjoy playing as.
Yea... I would probably be able to make the best of Miis getting in too. I have a few I wouldn't mind playing as.
But if I'm not going to give Miis a 0% want than I'm not sure who I would.

They have to be done right though. If they get in, my satisfaction percent may end up being high, it all depends on if they're done right.

Groose

Smash Champion
Pac-Man
81.24% chance (was 59.96%)
60.25% want (was 50.21%)

WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA! Pac-Man really gobbled up that Direct; many seem to think that the Namco items shown off give him an even better chance than he had before. Also, his supporters were out in full force today, and his want score improved by another 10%. Despite traditionally being seen as a character that is "expected but unwanted," Pac Man's want score is now firmly within our Top Ten Most Wanted--and in a day where 77 people voted, I'd say we have a pretty solid sample size for that claim.

Mii
55.70% chance (was 61.62%)
22.66% want (was 28.26%)

You guys are really killing Mii here. His chance average dropped almost a full six percent from before the Direct and his want score decreased by roughly the same amount. Although Pac-Man has seen a steady uptick in want that has actually placed him among our most wanted characters, his fellow "expected but unwanted" character still lives up to the title.

With a ton of deconfirmations in the Direct and several interesting new leaks, it seems that the speculation about Retro characters has died down a bit recently; I feel like it's a good time to get back into that discussion. Today we're only going to be discussing the two Retros that we had deemed most likely in the past--Lip and Takamaru. Takamaru was not seen or heard from at all during the Direct; does this hurt him or help him? In addition, Lip's Stick is back; is this a deconfirmation or does she still have a chance for a moment in the spotlight? Please rate Lip and Takamaru in chance and want. Tomorrow, we're going to be discussing one of our more... polarizing... topics: Fire Emblem. We'll be discussing just Chrom and the Tactician then, but I promise we'll get to other characters in the franchise later in the week. Please predict how Chrom and Robin will do in tomorrow's match. Please remember that nominations are currently on hold.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Pac-Man

Chance: 82%
With Namco helping to create the game along with the recent confirmation of Namco related items in screenshots,
I would be surprised if we didn't see a Namco representative in the roster. Who's it going to be?

Want: 75%
I'll admit that I think it would be pretty cool to have Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and Pac-Man all in the same game
to duke it out with each other, but if he didn't make it in the game, it wouldn't bother me too much.

Mii

Chance: 35%
I don't believe that we've seen enough evidence to warrant their possible inclusion as playable. As time goes on,
I get more and more skeptical about the Mii ultimately joining the roster. I just don't think it will happen.

Want: 4%
A very small part of me thinks it would be neat to play as yourself in Smash, but this is a Nintendo character
fighting game. I wouldn't want a Mii taking up a slot that another Nintendo character should have.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Takamaru:

Chance: 70%
Verly likely in my eyes, but not even close to a shoe-in. Unlike many others here, I don't find Greninja to be a character that really hurts Takamaru's chances, since Takamaru has far more to pull from than shurikens (in fact, he doesn't actually use them in his original game). Honestly, the majority of my doubt comes from how likely I actually consider a retro character. I'd say about 35% of my doubt s that and that the other 5% is his competition.

Want: 90%
One of my most wanted. Having played the original game, I'm really hoping for a revival of his series.

Abstaining on Lip's chances, but her want is a solid 70% from me.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Takamaru: 20% Chance / 50% Want
I'm on the wagon that Greninja does hurt Takamaru's chances mainly with the sword style. Not to mention that with the Gematsu leak, character space is /really/ limited and with Little Mac as the game's retro character, I don't think thinks look good for him.

Lip: 10% Chance / 70% Want
See above reason but swap Greninja for Lip's Stick.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Did someone say WAKKA?

(I couldn't resist. I humbly apologize.)

TakaSamuraaaaaaaaiiiiii
Pros! (Yes, this is back.)
+Wasn't hit by the AT stampede
+Captain Rainbow material does assist in his inclusion a tad, shows that game and older characters are getting acknowledged
+Greninja is a Ninja, Takamaru is a SAMURAI!!
+Pretty much most popular retro
+Isn't hit by any other newcomers because we don't have a samurai in Smash. Unique potential is there and justified.
+Nintendo property that they still acknowledge, like an actual Retro.
Cons
-Could still be an AT, but this isn't very likely
Overall... the lack of him showing up in the Direct is very helpful because that means he wasn't in the doom zone. He still has a strong shot and is a style of a character not yet seen in Smash, and overall, has little against his inclusion!

OVERALL RATING: 70%

Want: 95%- I love Samurai, I loved his game, I think that having an East VS West is epic. That, and I'm a pretty open guy with my newcomers.

Lip-Guess who played Puzzle League?
Pros
+-And nearly none of it matters!
+Puzzle Panel block is a nod, could be more...
+Unique style can be achieved as a poison drainer.
Cons
-Lip's Stick is an item again. This isn't good for Lip as it's her main weapon. I fear she'll get shelved yet again and just get some music and a trophy...
-Takamaru and other Retros beat her out.
Overall... those two hefty cons do not make her bode well.

OVERALL RATING: 2%

Want: 50%- Indifferent.

Predictions:
Google Chrome- 60%
Robin Williams- 10%

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Takumaru:
Chance 50%- I don't know. He's mainly known for a Japan only retro game which makes me feel iffy on him. I think Duck Hunt Dog or Mach Rider have a better shot
Want 50%- I wouldn't mind him I guess, but he's another swordsman, and I would prefer various other retros ahead of him

Lip:
Chance 10%- Lip's Stick being an item really hurts her
Want 90%- My most wanted retro, and I picked up Panel de Pon for both SNES and the Nintendo Puzzle collection and like them both. I also love Pokemon Puzzle league, and I think she would make a fun addition.

Chrom: (Overrated) 86%
Robin: (Underrated) 45%

D

Deleted member

I must say that Pac-Man is definitely deserving to be our 2nd most likely newcomer. Glad to see these re-rates might give a fair representation what our top 10 should be and not have our Elite Four be our top 4.
Takamaru and Lip have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated these two before, check to see what you've said on their days!

Takamaru
Chance:
55%

Hmm... I'm not seeing him as likely anymore. I gave Takamaru a 65% before... but I have been a bit more pessimistic on his chances. I'll admit, the Greninja reveal did hurt his chances in my eyes; some of the things that I imagined Takamaru doing are seen in Greninja's moveset (I know that Takamaru is a samurai and Greninja is a ninja, but I still feel this way). I would have given Takamaru 70% for the Big Mac trophy otherwise.
He is definitely not one of the most likely characters, yet he is the most likely retro. Getting revived and having the attention of Sakurai is important; he acknowledges Takamaru and he might catch wind of his recent appearances (especially Captain Rainbow). Being the most requested retro is also a definite feat... but retros aren't highly requested.
What also lowered his chances in hindsight has been the newcomers in my opinion. Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, and Little Mac have come from recent games (or in Little Mac's case, a recent revival). What about the other potential newcomers? It's the same deal with Shulk, Chrom, and Palutena (with Palutena's case, again, being a revival). It seems as though Sakurai is looking at recent games and is wanting to represent them...
I say that out of all the retros, Takamaru might get chosen due to having the attention of Sakurai and he is the most requested retro. Sakurai mentioned that he wants to revive franchises with Smash; one retro is bound to happen somewhere.
Overall... I can see Takamaru get in Smash yet not get in Smash. I'll lean more towards him being more likely, but I wouldn't expect him.
Want: 100%
He's a samurai and he's pretty cool. Though, I much rather have Shulk before Takamaru as a sword user; there is far more potential with Shulk than Takamaru.

Lip
Chance:
0%

Lip's Stick is an item. Nothing else to say.
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with her. She seems pretty uninteresting in my eyes.

Chrom Prediction: 68.92%
Get ready for those 90s and 100s!
To be honest, I am pretty excited for this day. I would love to hear @ Groose Groose 's opinions on Fire Emblem characters now.
Robin Prediction: 13.52%
He's going to drop.

Mii
55.70% chance (was 61.62%)
22.66% want (was 28.26%)

You guys are really killing Mii here.

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Takamaru
-Chance: 70%
Takamaru's chances were not hit by The Disco Ninja Frog in my eyes.
-Want: 85%
I think it is about time we get a samurai character and I can see him fitting in.

Lip
-Chance: 5%
Lip's Stick returning really doesn't bode her chances at all. It is possible for her to come back, but it's such a slim chance.
-Want: 50%
Rather indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom