• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the song posted above thread! (seriously listen!)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Definitely an interesting riff, I like it. They did a good job with making it eerie, and it gave them an almost Alice In Chains-y feel, without as much distortion. I like the lyrical theme too. The song did seem to end a bit early, though. It didn't really feel like it succeeded in revving up to a solid climactic section, it was just build up and end.

6/10, if it had another minute to it, it could've been a 10/10.

My song: Deftones - Be Quiet And Drive (Far Away)
I've never really gotten much into the Deftones. For me, the only thing that ever really sticks out to me is the vocals, which I really really like. This song seems to be the same way. Okay but kind of boring instrumentally but the emotional crooning that borders on breaking into screams makes the song.

This song is like a classy nu-metal song, somehow. Pretty nice and unoffensive actually...but that might not be such a good thing. also feels a little ball-less. The very end was cool with those screeching sounds underneath the breakdown thing.

decent song! that's about it for me though

3/5

Soap&Skin - Me and the Devil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd9LpME3jnk

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Above song, I like the lyrics. It's not really my gerne, but like this better than Super Massive Black Hole. 7/10, like the little Dubstep tunes throughout it. It's a good mix. Wouldn't mind listening to it again.

Not expecting this to be too popular, as Reggae is never mainstream, but have never heard of someone actually really dislliking the whole genre either. Just give it a ear.

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
4/5 Top Tier for sure. I actually worked their concert at Mohegan Sun recently and I was thoroughly impressed by the show they put on. I really like how the song isn't in any rush to get to it's climax and when it finally gets there it blows you away. Edit: Oops that was in reply to the muse song....

In response to "eyes wide open", 3/5, pretty good, and I generally consider myself somebody who dislikes reggae as a whole, but the cliche guitar riff was toned down and made room for some other interesting mixups. Still not going in my main playlist though, although Ill keep tabs on it.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It was a very relaxing song and I thought the lyrics were funny. I liked how most of the song was slow but it got faster at the end. It would be a good song to listen to when im tired.
4.5/5

annoying voice. this person sounds like he really wants to be ben gibbard, same voice inflections and cutesy delivery and all. the music itself is alright though, i like it especially when there is no singing. it's quite dreamy and reminds me of being a kid in the 90s.

the lyrics, combined with the manner of singing, is nauseating. i want to slap this guy and tell him to grow up, but alas...also, I'm saying this as a huge Postal Service fan (which is obviously what Owl City is trying to emulate more than anything) but this is just too saccharine sweet, precocious and phony that it really bothers me and the instrumentals aren't good enough to conquer it.

1.7/5

Tegan and Sara - Closer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7MNGPmrlW0

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Pretty dreamy, pretty bouncy. It's almost too nice.
The lyrics are kinda one-dimensional. It's like a love song but for high schoolers, which I guess isn't without its own charm.
I like the oooh-oooh's
They throw a different inflection on their voice for the refrain, which is nice and energetic, and their "all I wanna know is..." is sung prettily. The two know they sound good together. Verses in between are forgettable though.
It's just a super positive song, not sure it gets me into exploring them more, but it wasn't bad.
:urg: :ohwell: [ :) ] :bee: :awesome:

Gorod - Textures

theeboredone

Smash Legend
While browsing the internet and doing other manly important things, I found this song to be quite nice to listen too. I feel like in its transitions from highs to lows, it's not too extreme one way or another that a lot of songs I've reviewed are. Don't really know how to describe it in any other way except that I found it rather catchy. The rhythm established was pretty consistent and appealing. This isn't something I'd play in my car or listen to on an everyday basis, but something I wouldn't mind if it came up in a shuffle.

So if 1/10 is bad, and 10/10 is amazing. I'm going to give this a 2.5. Which means it's pretty good.

No way
I'll pass
Average
I'll stream this
I love it!

Ignore lame AMV.

Finch - Reduced To Teeth

(If you're an Edgar Allan Poe fan, you might get the reference).

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
While browsing the internet and doing other manly important things, I found this song to be quite nice to listen too. I feel like in its transitions from highs to lows, it's not too extreme one way or another that a lot of songs I've reviewed are. Don't really know how to describe it in any other way except that I found it rather catchy. The rhythm established was pretty consistent and appealing. This isn't something I'd play in my car or listen to on an everyday basis, but something I wouldn't mind if it came up in a shuffle.

So if 1/10 is bad, and 10/10 is amazing. I'm going to give this a 2.5. Which means it's pretty good.

No way
I'll pass
Average
I'll stream this
I love it!

Ignore lame AMV.

Finch - Reduced To Teeth

(If you're an Edgar Allan Poe fan, you might get the reference).
FIIIIIIIINCH!!!

Used to love this band, Say Hello To Sunshine had some great songwriting on it, and this song was no exception. Loved the effects they used for some of the guitars, and the singer does a great job of creating an eerie feel, something that the album was very successful with.

9/10, would def recommend to others.

My song: Amaranthe - Stardust

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
Oh my.. That was excellent. Although I'm not the pickiest of listeners, I seriously did enjoy that. Ill probably look for some more of their stuff later. The mix of vocals and the background chorus were really great, and the instrumentals had their place but were never over-bearing as in more "deathcore metal". What genre is this considered? where there is some screaming but its mixed with other vocals?

Ill offer a song in the same vein that I found some time back. I kinda dropped this genre a long time ago.. although I don't know why...

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
The rating itself isn't really that important, as long as something worthwhile is said about it.

Ill offer a song in the same vein that I found some time back. I kinda dropped this genre a long time ago.. although I don't know why...
I really liked the smack of those drums right at the beginning.
I didn't really like the mix of harsh and clean vocals, I think it would have been better if one dominated whole segments of the song instead of switching off in the verses. Kinda messy
The clean guy should go into falsetto much more often imo, I enjoyed the few parts he did that.
It's not very complex instrumentally, And I think I would have liked if it had been tuned lower for some deeper and more portent sounds.
And if the studio version does in fact try to fade out with only 5 seconds left (instead of being a bad video editing on the youtuber's part), then I'd say it ends a bit too abruptly. Kind of threw me off.

Basically I see a fair number of things I'd like to change about this song, but it had the right start in some places.
:urg: [ :ohwell: ] :) :bee: :awesome:

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I hate the voice, the lyrics, the verses, the chorus and I didn't even like the music video. The instrumental and drum beat was good, but everything else ruined it.
1/10
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/465845
Not bad, very nice and mellow groove. Midway through I did find myself longing for something more, maybe a second "chorus" so to speak before dropping into the ending, the added synths just didn't seem powerful enough to emphasize the bridge or the final chorus. Aside from that, the melodies were on point, and I'm definitely intrigued.

7/10 Would listen to again.

My song: Converge - Aimless Arrow

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I would normally HATE songs like this, but im in a very good mood right now. One reason why I don't watch movies is because I hate when there are sudden loud noises intended to scare you. That is how this song started, but It wasn't so bad. I did like the song, but I just didn't like how I couldn't understand any of the lyrics because the vocals were extremely unclear. This is the first time I listened to a full screaming song. Usually when screaming songs are posted I wait for someone else to rate them.
6.5/10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RCWnVznnWcs

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ Nice lyrics. And also actually quite a good beat, didn't expect that. It's not bad to listen to at all. 7/10

Serious Dancehall here. Hope you like it.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
^ Nice lyrics. And also actually quite a good beat, didn't expect that. It's not bad to listen to at all. 7/10

Serious Dancehall here. Hope you like it.

Not gonna lie, the lyrics made no sense whatsoever. They kinda seemed like he was trying to sound badass but instead he just started speaking jibberish, not to mention the autotune nonsense in the chorus. The beat behind him was nice and chill, very relaxed, but the rapper is like a bad Shaggy (who was bad to begin with).

2/10

My song: The Wonder Years - The ********, The Vultures, The Wolves

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ Quite noisy, don't personally like the gerne but it has nice vocals at least. Like the guitars a lot also. 6.5

Ok to make up for the last one, here's a better one. I find it very uplifting personally:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
^ Quite noisy, don't personally like the gerne but it has nice vocals at least. Like the guitars a lot also. 6.5

Ok to make up for the last one, here's a better one. I find it very uplifting personally:

lovely!! i love the bass and guitar and the lyrics and general inspiring mood of everything. the chorus is my favorite part but i like this guy a lot throughout the song. the rasta rap thing is hit or miss for me but for this song it is very lovely! i really like it. wish i could say more.

4.8/5

mine: Kendrick Lamar- Hiiipower (explicit lyrics) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xRerLLcJvY

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
lovely!! i love the bass and guitar and the lyrics and general inspiring mood of everything. the chorus is my favorite part but i like this guy a lot throughout the song. the rasta rap thing is hit or miss for me but for this song it is very lovely! i really like it. wish i could say more.

4.8/5

mine: Kendrick Lamar- Hiiipower (explicit lyrics) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xRerLLcJvY

Very nice beat! Kendrick Lamar definitely has some of the best flow in the genre, and this song is a perfect example. Not just that, but the lyrics are very well thought out, really meaningful. The beat was simple, has a similar essence to Busdriver songs, but he doesn't rhyme a mile a minute. XD

8/10 There needs to be more like him, definitely.

My song: The Mountain Goats - Woke Up New

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I know this sounds a little strange, but I picture the shire when I hear the beginning of this song haha. Not a negative thing at all. It's interesting that's it's incredibly simple and can evoke that image. A quiet and pleasant little acoustic tune. Good way to start.

Now the lyrical content is interesting because it's really succinct. And awkward little lines like "The first time I made coffee for just myself, I made too much of it," and, "On the morning when I woke up for the first time, I was cold, so I put on a sweater..." don't really come off as comically awkward, they're just super genuine, which is very cool. It asks me to really relate with what he's saying and I appreciate that effort in the songwriting.

So yeah, I like how it's trying to evoke such a strong (and negative, in fact) emotion as loneliness and yet it's so without flowery and figurative language that it's really just more like prose. Really well-written prose. I really enjoyed this song.
:urg: :ohwell: :) :bee: [ :awesome: ]

I have a sneaking suspicion that this was posted many many pages ago. Whatever.
alt-J - Breezeblocks

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ Not my style, but I can listen to it. Lyrics are ok, but not quite the best I've heard in this 'subject'. 5/10.

My song here:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141

mood4food77

Smash Hero
nothing stood out to me about it, pretty good song, while it feels like it's in the dance-electronic genre, not really a song you can really dance to (if you get what i'm saying)

6/10

found it

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion

I dunno if I've ever really felt Frank Ocean. I checked out Nostalgia, Ultra and found him to kind of come off as amateurish. I remember my favorite song from that tape being a cover of a Coldplay song (Strawberry Swing). It had a noticeable difference in songwriting than all the other songs there (noticeably better).

I like that he's got the whole African princess thing going on which goes pretty well, it's real sexy. I kinda still trip over lines like "chandeliers inside the pyramid / tremble from the force," I just think he tries to evoke images that seem irrelevant to the song. It feels a little awkward, that's just me. Then he brings it into the present, which is nice and sexy cuz we know he's calling this girl a modern Cleopatra. Good call. But then there are like two entire verses that don't reference the whole Egyptian theme at all. It feels like the last two verses could have been dropped entirely.
Speaking of parts that ought to be ommited, I don't see any reason why the last two minutes should be there. That lonely guitar isn't a bad idea for an outtro, but goddamn, two minutes? Not captivating enough
Another gripe of mine is that his vocals can get kind of sporadic at times, like he's singing a song in the shower that he doesn't quite remember the melody to.

If it wasn't obvious, I can't say this song has won me over. The dude's got a voice, although at times it's a little placid. And the dude's got a lyrical vision, although at times it feels unfocused.

Jonwayne - Mario is Missing

mood4food77

Smash Hero
I dunno if I've ever really felt Frank Ocean. I checked out Nostalgia, Ultra and found him to kind of come off as amateurish. I remember my favorite song from that tape being a cover of a Coldplay song (Strawberry Swing). It had a noticeable difference in songwriting than all the other songs there (noticeably better).

I like that he's got the whole African princess thing going on which goes pretty well, it's real sexy. I kinda still trip over lines like "chandeliers inside the pyramid / tremble from the force," I just think he tries to evoke images that seem irrelevant to the song. It feels a little awkward, that's just me. Then he brings it into the present, which is nice and sexy cuz we know he's calling this girl a modern Cleopatra. Good call. But then there are like two entire verses that don't reference the whole Egyptian theme at all. It feels like the last two verses could have been dropped entirely.
Speaking of parts that ought to be ommited, I don't see any reason why the last two minutes should be there. That lonely guitar isn't a bad idea for an outtro, but goddamn, two minutes? Not captivating enough
Another gripe of mine is that his vocals can get kind of sporadic at times, like he's singing a song in the shower that he doesn't quite remember the melody to.

If it wasn't obvious, I can't say this song has won me over. The dude's got a voice, although at times it's a little placid. And the dude's got a lyrical vision, although at times it feels unfocused.

i'm not trying to be like "OH YOU STUPID OR YOU WRONG", i'm just going to say that i think you kinda got the whole idea of the song wrong, it's not about egypt, it's about a stripper named cleopatra working at a strip club called "Pyramids",

if you think of it like that, those two verses make sense

i will agree that the two minutes for the (guitar solo) is a little excessive but god damn...i can't stop listening to the album

anyways: BlueXenon

that was pretty good. I liked the whole feeling that it gives you, like your just gliding through the air, but not actually caring what's going on around you. You know, just chillin up there. 7/10

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i'm not trying to be like "OH YOU STUPID OR YOU WRONG", i'm just going to say that i think you kinda got the whole idea of the song wrong, it's not about egypt, it's about a stripper named cleopatra working at a strip club called "Pyramids",

if you think of it like that, those two verses make sense

i will agree that the two minutes for the (guitar solo) is a little excessive but god damn...i can't stop listening to the album

anyways: BlueXenon

that was pretty good. I liked the whole feeling that it gives you, like your just gliding through the air, but not actually caring what's going on around you. You know, just chillin up there. 7/10

takes a while, but once it gets built up and the synths modulate to that one long hanging note is pretty suspenseful. i really hope this isn't a prelude to a dubstep drop.......

yay, it isn't! instead it's just some chiptune piano groove which is pretty cool. very nice delay fx on it. this builds nicely as well with other synth layers and-

...oh, there's the drop. i don't like this part at all. its not exactly brostep but its still not good. reminds me of Da Funk but kind of generic instead. ugh and i guess this is the whole rest of the song? lame.

this song had a very moody and pretty intro that had so much potential but the second half of this song is boooring

2.5/5

Frameworks "Old Chokes" http://frameworks.bandcamp.com/track/old-chokes

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
takes a while, but once it gets built up and the synths modulate to that one long hanging note is pretty suspenseful. i really hope this isn't a prelude to a dubstep drop.......

yay, it isn't! instead it's just some chiptune piano groove which is pretty cool. very nice delay fx on it. this builds nicely as well with other synth layers and-

...oh, there's the drop. i don't like this part at all. its not exactly brostep but its still not good. reminds me of Da Funk but kind of generic instead. ugh and i guess this is the whole rest of the song? lame.

this song had a very moody and pretty intro that had so much potential but the second half of this song is boooring

2.5/5

Frameworks "Old Chokes" http://frameworks.bandcamp.com/track/old-chokes

Ooooh, I like the opening drum beat, subtle and technical at the same time. The screams are a bit quiet in the mix, which is a good thing for this kind of song, because it lets the instruments really shine through. It really is a fantastic mix, because through all that is happening, the lyrics are still understandable, and very coherently written. I can appreciate the sound they're going for, and I just wish the song was a bit longer, it feels a bit undercut. Maybe if I had the context of having listened to it with the rest of the album I'd like it a bit more...

9/10 Would definitely listen to again.

My song: Last Chance To Reason - The Prototype

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There is probably some symbolism I'm missing with regards to "Black Roses", but it's hard to find it upon first listen. I like his voice, I like his tone, and he matches it well with the instruments in the background. My only issue with the song is that it's a bit repetitive in the lyric department, which in turn makes the background music stand out as repetitive as well. So overall, just something I'd listen to for a minute before skipping it.

With Diddy Kong being okay, and Donkey Kong being bad. I'll give this a Luigi.

No way
I'll pass
Average
I'll stream this
I love it!

Iggy Pop Feat Sum 41 - Little Know It All

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
You skipped the melon!!!!!'s song in this thread. Diddy Kong just posted a song with out any review or rating of the previous song.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
it literally takes 45sec-1minute to load this page for me due to embedding, thanks diddy kong for continuing to embed after several people cited troubles. and not even reviewing a song. ill review the skipped song right now

@Last Chance 2 Reason:

love the guitar tones and the swirly synth atmospherics floating above everything. the clean vocals are very fitting. the deliberate rhythms have a strange groove that is very unique, but it is pretty groovy and not just weird.

this isn't one of my fav songs off of Level 2 though, i wish it would change up just a little more as those same rhythms with slight variations gets a little mundane after the first time.

3.3/5

@Iggy Pop Ft Sum 41:

Hm, it's alright. Iggy Pop's verse is very catchy. the chorus is less so, but i do like the counterplay between Iggy and the Sum41 guy here. also goes into a nice riff in the post-chorus.

the solo is nice if kinda cliche/simplistic, i like it, especially how it builds a little bit into the chorus again.

but at the end of it all it's just alright really. not really my genre anymore though this was the kind of music i loved as a young teen.

2.9/5

mine: World's End Girlfriend "Grass Ark" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyy_6o4DW_s

Top Bottom