• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate the last game you finished!

Yasumi

Smash Rookie
According to my Backloggery page, it was Crash Bandicoot 3 back in April.

I love that game, but man it's too easy most of the time. The only time it's difficult is when you're doing all the extra stuff you don't really HAVE to do, like the time trials.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Technically I beat it when I was younger, though I decided to replay a classic game in my GBA collection recently to see what I thought of it now.

Wario Land 4
Rating: 9.3/10

All of the Wario Land games are fantastic, though when it comes to overall gameplay, 4 was the best in my opinion. It had great levels, colorful graphics, some good tunes, and it felt very fresh. I'd probably give it a higher score, though it's pretty short (18 levels, the smallest of the main 4 games).

Booster

Smash Lord

Wow... I know it's your opinion and all, but wow.... That was a terrible review.

You bearly give any criticism. It just a whine post on little stuff that doesn't affect the gameplay.
I don't give a crap if you liked it or not, I personally didn't like the game, nowhere near as deep as Super Scribblenauts. Also if I was an expert reviewer I wouldn't be a member on this forum, think about that for a moment.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
I don't give a crap if you liked it or not, I personally didn't like the game, nowhere near as deep as Super Scribblenauts. Also if I was an expert reviewer I wouldn't be a member on this forum, think about that for a moment.
Wow, how rude.

Anyway, I don't care if you think If you didn't think it was "deep" Scribblenauts wasn't prepose to be deep. It was and IT IS a silly game about a 12 year old boy and his sister using words and his imagination. If you want something deep made by 4cell, then go play Drawn To Life on DS or iPad. The review wasn't even a review, it was just nitpicking, like
Riding on a ride-able sword shoves the sword up Maxwell's ***, VERY funny.
or
Gameboy Mode looks so unappealing.
Um... are you going to talk about THE GAME and not dumb little easer eggs and glitches? Like the Gameplay or the Music?

I'm sorry, but it's MY opion that review was terrible.

Booster

Smash Lord
Warning Received

Wow... I know it's your opinion and all, but wow.... That was a terrible review.

You bearly give any criticism. It just a whine post on little stuff that doesn't affect the gameplay.
Wow, how rude.

Anyway, I don't care if you think If you didn't think it was "deep" Scribblenauts wasn't prepose to be deep. It was and IT IS a silly game about a 12 year old boy and his sister using words and his imagination. If you want something deep made by 4cell, then go play Drawn To Life on DS or iPad. The review wasn't even a review, it was just nitpicking, like

or

Um... are you going to talk about THE GAME and not dumb little easer eggs and glitches? Like the Gameplay or the Music?

I'm sorry, but it's MY opion that review was terrible.
If you want a Professional review go to IGN, but even then they gave Ninja Bread Man a score that was way too high (3/10, that game should've been 0.5), so please, **** off. Here's the door *Points to the door* get out.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Why did you copy your older post in your new post?

Also IGN is far from good reviews.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
If you want a Professional review go to IGN, but even then they gave Ninja Bread Man a score that was way too high (3/10, that game should've been 0.5), so please, **** off. Here's the door *Points to the door* get out.
You don't have to be so rude... I didn't cuss or been rude to you, geez. I was just trying to help you out... BUT NOOOOOO...
You want me to "**** off", even though I can't **** anyone and I don't know a person named "Off".

IGN is too generous on they're reviews, they give they're honest review, and give a high score like 8s 9s and 10s even though the game shouldn't get that much high reviews.
The reason why the "IGN- "It's okay 10/10" meme exist.
They also care about money, so there is that.

But at least IGN review THE GAME and not give it a 0s and 1s over stuff that you will not notice in gameplay. It's like giving SBB4 a 0/10 just because a fighter you wanted isn't in the game.... OH WAIT!

Also 3/10 is still a low score, so dose it really matter?

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Warning Received
You don't have to be so rude... I didn't cuss or been rude to you, geez. I was just trying to help you out... BUT NOOOOOO...
You want me to "**** off", even though I can't **** anyone and I don't know a person named "Off".

IGN is too generous on they're reviews, they give they're honest review, and give a high score like 8s 9s and 10s even though the game shouldn't get that much high reviews.
The reason why the "IGN- "It's okay 10/10" meme exist.
They also care about money, so there is that.

But at least IGN review THE GAME and not give it a 0s and 1s over stuff that you will not notice in gameplay. It's like giving SBB4 a 0/10 just because a fighter you wanted isn't in the game.... OH WAIT!

Also 3/10 is still a low score, so dose it really matter?
WOW, so many spelling errors. I was joking around before when I told you to leave, but seriously, get out, if can't tell the differences between "There, They're. Their", then you really need to leave. Also, this is a forum, are forums known for having lots of nice people who aren't rude? Of course not. Am I nice? **** no I go to a ****ing Smash bros forum, one of the most hostile fanbases, the fact I haven't called you a name shows I'm nicer then most Smashers.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
WOW, so many spelling errors. I was joking around before when I told you to leave, but seriously, get out, if can't tell the differences between "There, They're. Their", then you really need to leave. Also, this is a forum, are forums known for having lots of nice people who aren't rude? Of course not. Am I nice? **** no I go to a ****ing Smash bros forum, one of the most hostile fanbases, the fact I haven't called you a name shows I'm nicer then most Smashers.
You did told me to get out and **** off for no reason. That wasn't nice.
Also Smash isn't one of hostile fanbases. Have you seen the News area?!?

Also I'm sorry for unleashing your grammer nazi. But I really don't need to leave a Internet forum over a few spelling errors. I'm not the smartest dude ya know?

Anyway, I'm almost done completing Megaman 1. When I'm done I can rate the game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Booster, I've already said in a thread that opinions are fine, but when you go attack posters for going against opinions, I begin to have problems with that. Also try to think about how you get your words across. If your opinions end up degenerating to something like troll posts to bait people into a heated argument, I'm going to have to step in.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Professor Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: 8.5/10

+ Great visuals for a 3DS game, the hand-drawn environments mesh well with the 3D models, which are also well-done.
+ The puzzles of the Professor Layton series surprisingly compliment the investigation-based gameplay of the Ace Attorney series, meshing well to make the player think.
+ Outstanding writing, with likable characters and shocking plot twists. Shu Takumi's writing is as humorous as usual.
+ Lovely music, with remixes of songs from both series sounding as catchy as ever. The original pieces for this game are no slouch either.
+ Generous amount of bonus content.

- Becomes a bit repetitive occasionally.
- A few characters can become a bit annoying.
- The ending is at least a quarter of the game, taking around four or five hours to get through.
- Framerate drops in cutscenes.

isoldmyname

Smash Cadet
Ib
9.99999/10
Ib has great atmosphere, the difficulty is just right, and it has characters you actually give a damn about; which is rare for games of the PewDiePie sort.
The story is simple, with surprising depth. You play a little girl named Ib (pronounced Ib) who goes to an art gallery with her parents. Everything goes downhill from there, as she ends up trapped in a parallel dimension. This Ao Oni-styled puzzler has multiple endings, not all of which Ib survives.
The only real problem is a puzzle (doubtlessly, you'll know what I mean when you play it) that I had to look up a guide for. Only one. The rest aren't easy, but there is little to no preparation for this bugger. Also at four hours (tops) in length, the story is seemingly over all too soon.
This is among the greatest games I have ever had the privilege to play. And it's absolutely free. DOWNLOAD IT.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Ys 1 from the Ys Chronicles+ compilation. Spoilered because it ended up being about three times the size I expected!

+Gameplay is just the right mix of mindless 'run into enemies, watch enemies die' and 'oh ****, I should probably get him at an angle next time because that hurt'. It's got a 'bump' system of combat, which means you just need to smack into dudes to smack 'em, but you're best off smacking them from an angle or behind, because you'll take damage too.

+You can save anywhere that isn't a boss room (while the boss is happening), so you don't need to worry about screwing yourself over! Also, HP regens over time in the field and - with an item - in dungeons, so it's pretty agreeable in terms of you getting stuck due to something like that.

+The music and art is absolutely great, but I have a soft spot for needlessly rock-y pieces and late 80s anime art, so I could be a bit biased.

+/- The difficulty curve is a bit all over the place if you (like me) have no idea what you're doing. Two bosses in particular are huge pains to deal with (one requiring a mildly obscure sidequest to get the proper gear, the other being the final boss which I'll get to shortly) until everything clicks (or you just get stupidly lucky like me).

+/- Game ends on a 'to be continued...' note, since Ys 2 is really more of Ys: Part Two. Depending on how you liked the first game, this may or may not be a good thing. You don't really get a huge amount of closure after the final boss, aside from 'hey all of the demons are gone, good job buddy'.

- The overworld is mostly empty, outside of a handful of chests and some side-quest stuff. The game feels very... not small, but kind of like Wind Waker's sailing bits. Y'got a decent amount of places to go, but no real reason to go there.

- An annoying amount of backtracking, particularly toward the end where you have to go up 25 floors of a tower... then back to like floor 11 or something, then back to the top floor again, with respawning enemies going at it constantly.

- The final boss is kind of a huge pain in the ass; it's really a damage race while you have to deal with an ever-shrinking floor (which means you can and will get stuck a few times), with super hard to dodge projectiles and insta-death if you happen to unluckily be standing on whatever floor piece he makes disappear after you smack him, which is usually the tile he's floating above/you're right next to, so you're always moving. The big deal breaker with me on this boss is that it's all-but-impossible to not be on the brink of death, whether it's from the homing fireballs, the bits that shoot out of said fireballs after they hit, or the insta-death floor breaking. It's super annoying to have the guy one hit away from dead, only to be hit by a fireball that you can't really dodge because there's either no room or one of the bits from another fireball knicked ya.

I would definitely recommend it, but again I'm biased. I like JRPGs and stupidly simple combat and rock music and 80s anime art and all that stuff. I'd say if you like Zelda for the combat, you'll probably like this well enough. Just don't go in expecting a huge (for the time) world to explore and a bunch of secrets to find.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
Gyakuten Kenji 2: Prosecutor's Path

Actually on my top three Ace Attorney games of all time. The overarching plot was amazing, encompassing not just two or three, but all five cases into one tight, cleverly written package. It featured beautiful development for Edgeworth, as well as further delving into ongoing topics of the franchise such as the extents of fairness in Law and the role of lawyers in it. The classic characters shone as always and the new characters were fun and interesting - even loved the small cameos here and there. The OST has a plethora of memorable tunes that made those lovely goosebumps run down my spine as these games have me used to.

Really, it was near perfect. I wasn't so sure at first, but after seeing it take proper shape and impress me with yet another major twist in the AA "formula", I'm convinced. All flaws I could point out pale before just how freaking enjoyable this was. And I did really enjoy Gyakuten Kenji 1, but this was still a huge step above.

9/10

I also have to mention how grateful I am to all the people involved in the fan translation, which by the way is so good I'd never tell it apart from the official localizations.

----

Twewy: which was your favorite theme in Layton vs Phoenix? Personally, the music box rendition of Turnabout Sisters actually made me tear up when it started playing, so even in such a great musical ensemble I just have to pick that one.

Last edited:

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Last game I finished was Metroid on the NES complete with all missiles and energy tanks. Unique game for its time, nice difficulty. 8.5/10

I guess Final Fantasy IX could be included too, because I got to the last battle, just never finished it. Nope, I totally ragequit on that thing. I enjoyed it quite a bit, dialogue was funny, characters were very well rounded, good plot. Better than VII.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I guess Final Fantasy IX could be included too, because I got to the last battle, just never finished it. Nope, I totally ragequit on that thing. I enjoyed it quite a bit, dialogue was funny, characters were very well rounded, good plot. Better than VII.
I was about one game over away (Grand Cross can go straight to hell) from ragequitting for a solid month+ had it not for getting extremely lucky.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Star Ocean: Last Hope International

8.5/10

+ Impressive visuals
+ Great character selection (gameplay variety)
+ Good character performance (voice acting, character building, etc)
+ Good story (cutscenes are really nice at times)
+ Game length
+ Replayability
+ Lots of content (post-game as well)

+/- Difficulty can be a little inconsistent with certain types of enemies or bosses. Depends if you like a challenge or not. A little bit of grinding will always solve your problems though.

- Battle system is a wee bit restrictive early on, but gets better as you progress.
- Sometimes save spots are very far from each other...it's NOT fun to die and have to start a dungeon/area all over.
- Due to the infrequent nature of the save spots you're forced to play for long stretches at times (at least 1-2 hrs worth of progress can be easily lost if you die.)

Excellent game to say the least!

Admiral Mikey

Smash Rookie
The last game I finished was Kirby Triple Deluxe on 3DS. While I've traditionally really enjoyed the Kirby series, this one kind of fell flat for me. I didn't find it to be as enjoyable as other straightforward Kirby games (Kirby SuperStar, Nightmare in Dreamland) and it certainly felt dull after some of Kirby's more original exploits (Epic Yarn, Mass Attack). I can't quite put my finger on why, but it just felt fairly lifeless. Technically there's nothing wrong with this game, but I guess there's nothing particularly outstanding either. 6/10

Twewy

Smash Lord
Wario Land 3: 9/10
+ Lovely 8-bit sprites. Looks great for a late Game Boy Color game.
+ Fun gameplay that combines puzzles with platforming. I've always loved the fact that enemies can also help you.
+ The puzzles aren't always a cakewalk, requiring you to think and use Wario's abilities as see fit.
+ Good music, the fire theme will always be stuck in your head.

- The game can become annoying at times, with certain enemies messing you up in the middle of you doing something. The ceiling blob enemies stand out, because they can really get annoying.
- Not being able to pause during boss fights. I've needed to pause many a time during a boss.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
Wario Land 3 is one of the most important games of my childhood, easily. I was dedicated to that game far more than to any other Mario-related title, it was just that fun.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I found it while cleaning out my shelves. I didn't own many Game Boy games as a kid, hell I didn't even own Pokemon (my sister had all three Gen 1 games though. Guess who inherited them?). But Wario Land 3 was my favorite out of the, like, three games I had for the Game Boy.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 9/10

I'm ashamed I hadn't played this sooner, it was a great game.

+Timed hits and battle system in general were fun
+Entertaining dialogue and original characters (Mallow was to me what Goombario should have been in Paper Mario)
+THE SOUNDTRACK, especially the song at Midas River
+Graphics are surprisingly charming still
+Characters in the reserves still receive EXP, thank you for this, Square

- Eh, sometimes the controls in parts like the barrel jumping at Midas River and the Action courses at Bowser's Castle were a pain, though I was using an old GC controller with a control stick that is probably on its last leg
- Not being able to continue playing after the credits (which is my biggest complaint with the 1st Paper Mario as well)
- A tad on the easy side if you level grind at all

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper: 8.9/10

Left me with such a great impression, and is easily my favorite "Warriors" game of all time. I enjoy the ridonkulously large roster comprised of Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors and "Original" characters. I haven't bothered to max everyone out, nor do I plan to ever do so due to being a far too daunting task to accomplish. Never paid too much attention to story in the series, but I guess it's pretty neato. Music is great as expected and I love the art style of the characters. After clearing all of the endings, I yearned for more storyline stages to do, luckily enough, there's an "expansion/sequel" game out which apparently adds a lot more to the game~

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Kid Icarus Uprising - 6.5/10

+ Fun dialogues and characters
+ Good presentation, from graphics to the level design
+ Tons of fun bosses to fight
+- Decent soundtrack
- Terrible controls
- Gameplay is okay at best, with the land sections being kind of awful
- A few pointless chapters (the alien ones), they felt like pointless padding to make the game longer

The game isn't bad at all (hence the score I give it), but it falls a part in aspects I value I lot in video games, like gameplay and controls.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Walking Dead: Season 2 - 5/10

Captivating story as usual, but was very disappointed in how the choices seem to effect you less than they did in the first game. As video games continue to evolve, especially in the "your actions have consequences" type, I found it numbing how that no matter what I did, certain characters were always going to die, have a similar reaction in certain situations, and even if you did give a good reaction, it didn't help in the short or longterm. Really, it would just change a few lines here and there. Even though the first game was a fixed path, there were times where you could save someone if you made the right choices. In this one, everything was fixed for the most part. So really, I'm just playing the game for the story.

Meh.

LinkSword93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Umdytr
3DS FC
3668-9197-4509
Virtue's Last Reward

Excellence. Everything about the end was mindblowing in the best way possible. Unbelievable twists and turns in every corner, and each one of them made sense - not to mention it did a great job in backtracking on the separate hints throughout the story. The amount of thought that went into creating this work genuinely impresses me. I remember thinking something similar after being done with 999, but the scope, complexity and ultimate coherence of the script is far beyond. They really pulled all the stops for this sequel and the result is something I can only call a masterpiece. Naturally, there are some variables I'd have liked to have explained, such as

-how Akane came from fleeing with Santa after the 2nd Nonary Game, to co-leading a project to save the world from near annihilation.
-what happened with Santa himself.
-the apparent randomness of the Radical-6 taking effect on the participants, such as Clover's END where five of them killed themselves (or between them) at once, together with Luna's "suicide" and Klim subsequently cutting his own throat.
-the improbability of the protagonist never seeing his own face, or having anyone mention something that would enter conflict with what he believed he looked like (ie 22-year-old Sigma)

And so on, so forth... But, really, overall I am incredibly satisfied with the experience, which has left me plenty of room for thought, a great story I'll make sure to revisit in the future, and at least one character that for me will be unforgettable...
Luna.

I feel a profound admiration for Uchikoshi and the rest of the writing team for the game, and I can safely say this is now my all-time favorite visual novel/graphic adventure game, as well as one of my very favorite games ever.

9.5/10. I am not a religious person, but if I were I'd pray every day for Zero Escape 3 to come to pass.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I just finished my friend's game she made in RPG Maker, named CustomCode.

CustomCode: 7/10

+ Interesting premise, was rather unique story-wise.
+ The characters you do get to know were pretty likeable.
+ It's obvious she was experimenting, given it was her first game. The puzzles and "hoverskate" bits worked in the end.
+ The encouragement of exploration is welcome.
+ For her first game, it was surprisingly scarce of bugs. I only encountered one in my entire playthrough.
+ Her hand-drawn artwork looked nice and the style was pleasant.

- The music gets a bit dull and annoying at times.
- The main character, Nat, wasn't very likeable.
- Short. Can be completed in an hour.
- The party members in the RPG segments don't have many distinct abilities.
- The sprites were rather simple, I hope for her to improve her pixelwork in the future.
- The ending felt kind of bland, compared to the rest of the game.

Like mentioned in the review, it was her first game, so she was learning throughout it. Overall, she did good for her first time. I'm looking forward to see how she improves.

Last edited:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies - 5/10

First off, I want to say I'm a huge PW fan, so giving this score hurts. Let me start off with the positives.

1. Voice Acting and transition to 3D is smooth.
2. Story has some high and intense points.
3. Colorful characters and goofy humor.
4. Streamlined the investigation process by automatically taking you to the next location, rather than having you figure out where to go.
5. Brings back some old features like Apollo's bracelet, Phoenix's psyche locks, and Athena's analyzing through psychology is neat too.
6. Music is solid.
7. Final villain gave me the creeps.

Now the bad.

1. This game is called "Phoenix Wright" right? Well, it felt more like "Apollo Justice and Athena with Phoenix Wright on the bench". Seriously, you play as Phoenix for only HALF the game, and even then, he's not super important to the story lines revolving around. He's practically this bystander lawyer who gets caught up in some other character's mess.

2. Athena is super annoying. Not even Maya funny annoying. Just annoying. While I liked the gimmick she brought to the game, I already dealt with a rookie lawyer in Apollo last game. Her story was interesting, and she should have simply been Phoenix's aide, rather than another lawyer you play as.

3. The overall game focuses on how the courtroom is in the "Dark Age of Law". While details were sprinkled in each case, there's not much detail put in for newcomers, and veterans will also miss having those details. Furthermore, the resolution to this theme is a bit lame too.

4. Some of the cases take some time to get into. Namely the second and fourth one.

5. The final case is super intense. While I wasn't at first excited about the final villain, I quickly became interested in this person's background and who he worked for. Well, TOO BAD THEY DIDN'T BOTHER GOING INTO DETAIL ABOUT HIS LIFE. So he literally ended up being a "hahaha, I'm a bad guy!" type of villain. I promise you that his background could easily set up for a sequel and tackling something bigger than Phoenix and his daily routines. Instead, we'll get a fresh new story next game, but one possibility may have just been eliminated.

6. As far as gameplay goes, this game was not very innovative. Recall the DS version of the first PW had a bonus case that utilized a lot of the DS elements. Rotating to examine items, blowing the mic for fingerprints, watching actual surveillance footage and spotting contradictions. Well, we get one 3D item examination, no fingerprints, and the surveillance footage are just stills. I mean really? You guys working on a 5 dollar budget? Literally, this game became repetitive with "find evidence, talk to people, do your trial." None of the above mentioned thrown in to change things up.

7. Phoenix Wright vs Layton had tons of scenes and VA performances. This game has hardly any of that. What's the point of going with that model, if you're barely gonna feature it? I'm not saying every line needs to have VA, but you might as well been playing the old PW games.

So overall, a lot of disappointments, due to missed out potential. I hope the next PW game actually has you playing as PW for the most part, and they go deeper into involving more gameplay elements.

Meh.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies (iOS/iPad version) 8.5/10

Pros:

Impressive story
Appealing graphics (Looks way more appealing then most games I've played especially Rainbow **** Vegas)
Can save anytime, even in the middle of a cutscene
Cheaper then the 3DS version
Has better resolution then a 3DS screen
Bigger screen then any 3DS for viewing pleasure
Hilarious reaction shots
Great characters (Including the new characters)
Anime style cutscenes by Bones (**** YEAH)

Cons:

The ending wasn't very good, could've done better considering the ending to Devil May Cry games...
The Final Villain's face is never seen despite it being built up to a moment that never was (WTF)
The game is too easy
More linear then previous Ace Attorney titles
The gameplay is extremely simplistic, it's no different then a point and click game xP
No replay value whatsoever, absolutely none since every case is the same with no secrets
You're giving your money to Crapcom when you buy this game
The first two cases revealed the villains right away.

OOPS, I just noticed the other Dual Destinies review above, my apologies. Please note I didn't read the post until after I posted mine. To show I can do my own review I'll review the last game I finished before that: Playstation All Stars Battle Royale...what is there to say other then it's a ****ty version of Smash Bros with the most pathetic roster for a 7th gen fighting game? The only thing that saves this game is that I got it for free with Playstation Plus 1/10.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Xenoblade Chronicles
Score: 9.1/10

Pros:

- Cool storyline with plot twists and all.
- Beautiful for a Wii game, lush scenery and everything
- Cool fusion of MMORG, JRPG and Western RPG
- Like the real time battles with your character moving around the foe and all. Fun combat till the end.
- I can choose between my playable character, 80% of the time I didn't even use Shulk
- Huge map, lovely to explore
- Armour! Different looks for each armour for each character! And they carry it in cutscenes!
- Tons of quests, Huge game, clocked at 160 hours with full completion. 5 Superbosses (although one's just a joke).
- Affinity chart. Affinity with locals of each town, party affinity, heart-to hearts.
- Battle banter.
- Tons of skills and arts. Sharing skills between party members.

Cons:
- Storyline can get generic at times
- Game's tension rises but storyline becomes less interesting near the end
- Fetch, fetch, fetch quests >.< And then kill, kill kill quests. Many of them are just plain annoying.
- Main character is just too overpowered. Makes sense storyline wise but still....
- Cutscene power of bosses. I beat them easily but my party is supposedly losing. I don't like that in games.
- Last boss is too easy.

Not really a con, but I don't like the annoying achievements like revive party members 500 times or wipe out 50 times.

Although the con list might seem fairly long, they were annoyances compared to the pros and don't really cut that much into the score. After all I had fun for those 150+ hours (some grinding got boring though).

In my opinion, one of the best JRPGs I have played. Although that opinion might change after a month, after I retrospect.

Still a really good game, I loved it! Can't wait for Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
The last game I finished was Metroid Prime. That game is greeeaat. I would have to say the worst is the big fetch quest with a good bit of backtracking, easy final boss, and a pretty anti-climactic ending. I didn't get all of the scans and stuff though, so I didn't get the fancy endings where you see Samus. Everything else about the game is awesome though. I've had the game for years, but I didn't beat it until just about 2 or so weeks ago. Thee game is definitely very solid and has an awesome atmosphere. You get absorbed into the game within just a few minutes. Great action adventure puzzle FPS and I would definitely recommend you play it if you haven't.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Playstation All Stars Battle Royale...what is there to say other then it's a ****ty version of Smash Bros with the most pathetic roster for a 7th gen fighting game? The only thing that saves this game is that I got it for free with Playstation Plus 1/10.
Thank you for your informative and well-thought out review.

Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS: 9/10

+ The gameplay holds up to the other games, not feeling stale at all. The roster is one of the most diverse in playstyle yet, offering new ways to play. Many of the new items are great as well, a personal favorite being the Blue Shell. StreetSmash reminds me of Tin Pin Slammer. The new stages are fun to play on and try new things with them. Magicant's Flying Men gimmick can be fun when everyone's rushing to get the extra help. Smash Run is fun and kills a good amount of time, and the surprise factor in it is fun and hectic. The many little game modes are fun, and the Challenges give reasons to try everything out.
+ Some of the best visuals on the 3DS, pushes the system to its limits while keeping a stable framerate.
+ The musical remixes are solid, very pleasant to the ears. I really like the fact you can use your 3DS as an MP3 player.
+ Customization is a welcome addition, Mii Fighters are fun to customize and custom moves for characters can be interesting.
+ The many ways to obtain trophies are welcome, along with the new style of writing their descriptions. The tongue-in-cheek writing is funny.

- The controls can be a little rough at times. A game like Smash can be hard on the Circle Pad and can even cause damage. Many a times have I let the Hands crush me out of fear of breaking the Pad.
- Most of the OST and veteran voices are reused from Brawl and other games.
- The Online modes leave more to be desired. For Glory lacks diversity in stages. No online Smash Run is a downer, too.
- The single player content can get a bit boring at times, leaving much more to be desired when playing by yourself.
- Balance of characters is annoying. There's a reason online is filled with ZSS, Little Mac, Yoshi, and Greninja.

Overall, I think it was worth the six year wait. I feel there could have been things that were better or improved, but they didn't hinder my experience majorly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS: 8/10

Pros:

-Enjoyable gameplay that feels exciting without wearing you down over time, definitely the game's strongest point.
-Packed with more content than any previous installment, between 51 different characters, 3 variants of each special move and 8 costumes for every character there's a lot of room for creativity, something past installments have lacked.
-Possibly the best balance in the series.
-Plenty of stuff to do and collect via single player modes with a good handful of different ways to collect said stuff.
-Online is solid as long as you have a good connection.
-Great new music remixes.

Cons:

-Controls are very difficult and really drags the game down, it feels like you simply can't play at the full potential.
-Reuses A LOT of assets from Brawl, voices, stages, music, it makes it feel too similar.
-Smash Run gets stale and boring very quickly, it does not fill the void left behind by a proper Adventure Mode.
-Despite having the best balance of the series it still isn't balanced very well.
-Questionable character inclusions and cuts.

Holding out that the Wii U version will fix my two primary complaints.

Booster

Smash Lord
Thank you for your informative and well-thought out review.

Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 3DS: 9/10

+ The gameplay holds up to the other games, not feeling stale at all. The roster is one of the most diverse in playstyle yet, offering new ways to play. Many of the new items are great as well, a personal favorite being the Blue Shell. StreetSmash reminds me of Tin Pin Slammer. The new stages are fun to play on and try new things with them. Magicant's Flying Men gimmick can be fun when everyone's rushing to get the extra help. Smash Run is fun and kills a good amount of time, and the surprise factor in it is fun and hectic. The many little game modes are fun, and the Challenges give reasons to try everything out.
+ Some of the best visuals on the 3DS, pushes the system to its limits while keeping a stable framerate.
+ The musical remixes are solid, very pleasant to the ears. I really like the fact you can use your 3DS as an MP3 player.
+ Customization is a welcome addition, Mii Fighters are fun to customize and custom moves for characters can be interesting.
+ The many ways to obtain trophies are welcome, along with the new style of writing their descriptions. The tongue-in-cheek writing is funny.

- The controls can be a little rough at times. A game like Smash can be hard on the Circle Pad and can even cause damage. Many a times have I let the Hands crush me out of fear of breaking the Pad.
- Most of the OST and veteran voices are reused from Brawl and other games.
- The Online modes leave more to be desired. For Glory lacks diversity in stages. No online Smash Run is a downer, too.
- The single player content can get a bit boring at times, leaving much more to be desired when playing by yourself.
- Balance of characters is annoying. There's a reason online is filled with ZSS, Little Mac, Yoshi, and Greninja.

Overall, I think it was worth the six year wait. I feel there could have been things that were better or improved, but they didn't hinder my experience majorly.
I was going to get to try out the GameStop demo but the Demo Unit was busted. I asked the GameStop girl about it and she said as soon as the demo came out people played it and broke the unit. Oh well, I wasn't even going to buy it on 3DS, never buy a handheld version of a game that is on console.

Twewy

Smash Lord
And what if we don't have a Wii U? Or want to play it on the go?

Top Bottom