• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Our GaWs?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You both have decent G&Ws, but seriously, G&W dittos suck too much. Don't play them if you really want me to grade your G&W. In G&W dittos you literally only have like 4 attacks. B-air, F-air, D-air, and Up-B.

Also, learn to tech. Up-throw more. Don't usually try to do attacks out of shield or spotdodge unless it's Jab or D-tilt. Try edgeguarding with slowfall D-airs.

Oh yeah, and do you guys know Bucket Braking? Just N-air and Bucket when you take knockback.

Yeah, these are just general things I'm pointing out.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lol Uthrow... Are you serious A2Z? Why not Dthrow? Free Dsmash/Fsmash if the other Watch doesn't tech, and a pretty easy tech chase since G&W rolls slowly and not too far on his tech roll. Throwing them up would let him get away too easily.

Also, I think you overrate Slowfalled Dair's, they don't work much in Ditto's. Maybe as a surprise or something but otherwise not something to rely on.

Just use big spacing moves, like Dtilt spaced well and retreating Bairs. Also practice on SDIing the Bair if you do get caught, it is easy to escape and you can end up punishing your opponent for hitting you lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I tech the D-throw all the time in real life. You'll pretty much never get a Smash against a good G&W player unless they screw up their spacing.

It's really not that good...If you throw them up, you have a chance to U-air stall and Up-B.

I will agree that G&W is one of the easier characters to techchase regrab however. But it won't work forever. And besides, in friendlies you should never D-throw. It develops bad habits.

Also, offstage, D-air edgeguard is very good. You just have to read your opponent and make sure not to D-air too early (or you get hit by his invul frames of course).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, you should also be punishing out of a U-throw too. U-throw also does more damage btw.

If he D-airs, Up-B or U-air. If he does any aerial towards the ground, Up-B. If he air dodges, Dash attack or charge a smash if you can get to where he is.

OkinawaOldSchool

Smash Cadet
You both have decent G&Ws, but seriously, G&W dittos suck too much. Don't play them if you really want me to grade your G&W. In G&W dittos you literally only have like 4 attacks. B-air, F-air, D-air, and Up-B.

Also, learn to tech. Up-throw more. Don't usually try to do attacks out of shield or spotdodge unless it's Jab or D-tilt. Try edgeguarding with slowfall D-airs.

Oh yeah, and do you guys know Bucket Braking? Just N-air and Bucket when you take knockback.

Yeah, these are just general things I'm pointing out.

I do know about Bucket Braking, yes. XP.
I lurk on this board all of the time, just never really post, lmao.

Anyways~
That video was just to get a general idea about what you guys would think about, mostly my GaW. XP. I was to get a few more vids up for critique, and actually start posting here more. Lol.

Teching - Another thing that should have been done more. In that friendly, Teching was really a big deal for me, kind of just wanted to take the hit, or if I remember, I just lazily tried to get out of stuff.

Thanks for the advice though, as I stated before, I'll try to get more stuff up here.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I tech the D-throw all the time in real life.
I'm quite certain you don't mean real life

You'll pretty much never get a Smash against a good G&W player unless they screw up their spacing.
you mean never get a grab? if not, then why would what throw to use be relevant?

if you do mean smash out of a dthrow (dunno how they are spacing while you have them in a grab, but whatever) g/w's tech is awful enough to punish if you predict it

It's really not that good...If you throw them up, you have a chance to U-air stall and Up-B.
and if you throw them down, you have a chance to land a smash that can KO a g/w in the 70s

what are you refreshing by stalling? your smashes certainly shouldn't be stale... obv refreshing dair/fair has some use, but it's far less useful than in other matchups, where you can use your smashes more liberally

I will agree that G&W is one of the easier characters to techchase regrab however. But it won't work forever. And besides, in friendlies you should never D-throw. It develops bad habits.
it doesn't need to work forever. it needs to work once.

what kind of "bad habits" does it develop? being able to understand peoples' tech patterns? god forbid that happen

if you intend to dthrow at all in matches that matter (not saying you necessarily should, but you made a distinction about friendlies, so i'm assuming that's relevant to you somehow), there's no reason not to dthrow liberally in friendlies to at least understand tech speeds and lengths, in addition to tendencies

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Uthrow is almost useless against GW...he has too much aireal mobility for it to matter. Key+up-b? You arn't going to do anything to a good GW in the air by Uthrowing lmfao.

Dthrow is amazing in this match-up. Even if they always tech GW's roll is so slow you can techchase with a fair on reaction. That's guarenteed damage against GW who can't take a lot of punishment. You can also do a running usmash if you know which way they are going to tech. If they like to tech in place just SH dair and you will footstool them into a dair. I did this several times in tournament last weekend and the crowd thought it was luck until I did it several times throughout the match.

AZZ you really don't seem to understand that all moves are situational. You shouldn't always use Uthrow. You shouldn't always use anything in fact. You also base a lot of things off of online games and it really irks me. Sorry to call you out but seriously go through your post history and you will see what I mean.

Neb

Smash Lord
Uthrow is almost useless against GW...he has too much aireal mobility for it to matter. Key+up-b? You arn't going to do anything to a good GW in the air by Uthrowing lmfao.

Dthrow is amazing in this match-up. Even if they always tech GW's roll is so slow you can techchase with a fair on reaction. That's guarenteed damage against GW who can't take a lot of punishment. You can also do a running usmash if you know which way they are going to tech. If they like to tech in place just SH dair and you will footstool them into a dair. I did this several times in tournament last weekend and the crowd thought it was luck until I did it several times throughout the match.

AZZ you really don't seem to understand that all moves are situational. You shouldn't always use Uthrow. You shouldn't always use anything in fact. You also base a lot of things off of online games and it really irks me. Sorry to call you out but seriously go through your post history and you will see what I mean.
Thank you!
I was going to say the same thing, but didn't feel like it, because I knew someone else would, Z_Z.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Anyway, you guys seemed to mostly have a good handle on yourselves, but I noticed a few things.

You used Judgment Hammer a small number of times. Don't do that; Judgment Hammer is garbage that always has a better option.

I saw you guys did dashdances a few times too. That's a bad idea because it doesn't gain you anything, but it does risk tripping. Why take a pointless risk?

You guys weren't very bad about it, but there were a few unadvisable approaches with forward aerial. In general, you approach with back aerial and use forward aerial once they are already under some pressure because, as I believe some punishment indicated, forward aerial is very unsafe on block.

Also, I can be really bad about this too, but charging up smash when your opponent is coming down on you from somewhat high is a bad idea. Especially in this matchup, you just eat a down aerial.

All in all you guys seemed pretty solid; I just noticed these few things.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey look, I actually played InsomniaK in live friendlies before. We both main G&W.

I just suck at techchasing I guess. But seriously, I've always had best results Up-Bing through D-airs. =/

Top Bottom