• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Olimar!

Nicole

Smash Champion
you're very good. that being said, my criticism would be that you play too aggressively. i had the pleasure of playing two olimars at the last tournament i went to. one of them (my doubles partner) plays very campy. he's extremely hard to approach. the other was aggressive, like you, and chased me around the stage. I beat the aggressive olimar (not by much, but still), but the campy one utterly destroyed me. so try to play a little more cautiously and defensively.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
imo you should grab more. maybe not against the IC, since it's sometimes difficult to grab one when the other's still there, but against zelda you could've grabbed alot more. Oftentimes a DThrow -> USmash can be much more effective than just a FSmash. And like IronBoots says, you do have an aggressive olimar. Not that that's always a bad thing, but try latching more too.

edit: olimar dittos make my eyes bleed so i didnt watch the second one >.>

KillerSOS

Smash Champion
Yeah the second one was a pain =) With IC I don't grab much because if you look you can see the result of the few grabs I had =/ I don't use latch vs Zelda due to the tendince to get Naru Loved. I also perfer to keep all my pikmin with me to help dodge edge gimps :)

Anyone else have any more tips =) Thanks everyone that has commented.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Camp more, grab more, learn to use the full extent of your moves range. Go easy on offensive up+b and forward/down smash.

asob4

Smash Champion
i only watched the first one

only whistled once
lack order knowledge
fsmash too much
grab more
very few dthrow combos
degraded bthrow for no reason
very little pikmin toss
PIVOT GRABS
used *****mar <---- big no no right there

overall decent olimar but really needs to work on pikmin order and more camping

DDM

Smash Journeyman
You took those guys to the woodshed.

With that said, anyone who uses the song "I Will Survive" for their videos, remix or not, deserves to be wedgied, swirlied, and/or pantsed every day for all eternity.

Red suit beats all BTW.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I didnt watch the IC but from play decent ICs I say no not alotta grabbing.
I saw the 1st I agree with everyone except You shouldnt be more campy...Aggressive might be your play style...
But if you wish to we all advise being more campy...
And learn the span of your moves you missed up+b to many times on that Zelda giving the player a chance to punish you.

Last but most important learn your pikmin better. Dont fsmash with white! Dont Grab and bthrow with yellow!
lol
well there you have it, I wish you luck!

EDIT:
GRAY SUIT OLI PWNS!!!

Awex

Smash Lord

Best costume

DDM: "I Will Survive" is acceptable here, because it's Cake. :D (I dunno why he used it twice though, haha)

KillerSOS: Like everyone said, GRAB MOAR.

Olimar has the best freaking grab game in brawl. Range, Combos, KO power. Don't listen to anyone who calls you a grab ***** or a spammer, you have every reason to abuse those grabs, lol.

You could have just grabbed Zelda right at the start instead of using that fsmash with a white pikmin. The grab would have led to up smash/fair/nair and the combo would continue from there. Also, fsmashing with that white in line shows you're not looking close enough at your pikmin lineup.

Try whistling for that purpose and the purpose of defense and countering. You'll see the term "WAC" here (I just call it whistling personally ;p) which is "Whistle Armor Counter" as in using the super armor frames from your whistle to take the damage of the attack and immediately counter attack during the lag of your opponent's attack.

Whistling can be a better defensive option than air dodging against certain moves with hitboxes too large and too long to just air dodge, like that IC uair you got juggled by. You shouldn't get juggled by that IC uair, lol. You can just whistle it and get to the ground again/counterattack

In general though, you need work. From your videos you seem to play based entirely on your position and your opponent's position without much thought or prediction. As in, you use fsmash when they're so far away or running up smash when they're up and away, ect. Which is fine until it becomes anticipated and then it becomes a game of predicting your opponent.

It's an easy habit to fall into but once you're out of it, it's a significant sign of improvement into a better player. Keep at it dude. =)

DDM

Smash Journeyman
Is that Flamingo you mean? Sorry, saw the "related videos". Olimar & Sheik - very intriguing team.

duderno

Smash Rookie
you can be aggressive all you want to people that don't spot dodge but once you fight someone that does spamming cstick doesn't work
use grabs and pay attention to order and you'll start pulling combos ez

Tamoo

Smash Master
Also, u like 2 use uthrow to upb a lot, i find it easier to simply use dthrow to up b, its much easier.
And u need to get used to the fact that olimar jumps up a bit when doin up b, cos u kept on missin the zelda. Yeah dthrow combos are awesome, there are plenty, and just save ur bthrow for finishing imo.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Tamoo TOS II is pimp!

But just anyway you possiblely can move to where you see the pikmin directly behind oli or look at them all and adjust.

I dash away the pivoit grab sometimes, I try to pivoit but I fail at it...
But oli's grabs make up for it some how...
So yea move and view them
or use down+b...
My brain isnt the size of kansas! D:

asob4

Smash Champion
pink boots are beyond epic, you just can't handle it
only a select few can

also, it's easy to keep track of the line, whistling orders them. after i get a kill i whistle my line to start with red

RichBrown

Smash Master
I personally like to start my line with purple (if I have any) so that way I can toss them and it makes following up with a grab extremely easy.

negrolimar is a BAMF, he doesn't **** around.

asob4

Smash Champion
i prefer starting with reds because then it is an obvious line up that has been engraved into my brain

if all the epicness of green olimar was unleashed at once, chucck norris would die

RichBrown

Smash Master
Since the reds follow the purples, it makes grab combos easy. I've gotten stupidly good at comboing with purples haha.

The only time negrolimar was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake.

Rocann

Smash Lord
hey I just made an important olimar discovery

it almost looks like he's doing the thriller dance if you do dash-> usmash back and forth in one spot with no pikmin

if anyone else uses this in any way, shape, or form for a combo video then you die

Top Bottom