• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rate My Moveset!" :: Moveset Critique Thread

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Who the **** gives a **** about Gen IV sets

This is Gen V

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Oh, you know, 'cause Heatran, Tyranitar, and Magnezone still exist in Gen. V.

Maybe. I doubt anyone actually uses Sandstorm teams though.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
All the pros have moved on from Sandstorm and only use Trick Room / Gravity combo teams

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I've heard Trick Room has actually been doing pretty well.

Otherwise its still weather all day.

:phone:

Blissard

Smash Lord
I've been using Hail teams forever, and while they're fun, here's the problem: it gets countered by literally every common metagame team. Might be cause I suck, but I've only gotten up to high 1200's/low 1300's. Here's the thought process of Hail teams:

1. Yay I made a gimmicky Hail team.
2. **** my gimmicks don't work.
3. Let me switch some of my gimmicky Pokemon to more reliable, standard ones.
4. ****, Tyranitar screws my few remaining gimmicks over.
5. Let me switch more Pokemon.
6. Wait, my team no longer has any gimmicks. It would be 10x better if I just replaced Aboma with Ttar.

Aboma is the worse weather starter Pokemon ever and is a free kill for most opponents.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Sunny Day teams are where its at. Fast Grass types? Lol Seriously, though, winning with sun is more rewarding than any other weather.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I want to run a hail team with 3 Ice Body users, Toxic Spikes, and a priority counter.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Hail teams need Dugtrio to trap and weaken things and something like Flame Charge Heatran to deal with the obligatory steels you see running around like SD Scizor, Jirachi, Skarmory, and the less common Metagross that resist your STAB while giving a nice switch-in to Ninetales.

Other than that, have fun playing around with stuff like Stallrein and Tentacruel, as they can handle most of the rest.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Hitmontop
Adamant, Technician, probably leftovers
Haven't done EVs yet, probably gonna go with 252/252/6/0/0/0

Fake Out
Mach Punch
Close Combat
Stone Edge

Should I replace Fake Out with Sucker Punch? I'm definitely keeping the other 3

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Critique Plz.

Jellicent:
-Bold
-Leftovers
-252 Defense/252 HP/4 Speed

I am considering using Kirbyraeg's idea of spreading the EVs out to this 252/96/160.

Attacks:
-Toxic
-Scald
-Taunt
-Recover

I've been trying to find a way to give Jellicent the ability to poison and burn without sacking anything super useful. Scald can burn and still do damage. This gets rid of my Jirachi problem...sorta. Toxitaunt does what it does best - crippling everything else that isn't resistant to poison i.e Steel types and other Poison types.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's basically standard Jellicent with Toxic over WoW.

Not a huge difference, really. Should be pretty effective.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
The whole point is to post builds that are unique, unusual, and potentially viable for critique/advertisement, so post away!

Jellicent needs to be faster to run taunt/toxic set, but its standard set is more about walling than about being an anti-stall pokemon, so don't worry about losing bulk by running extra speed. I thought about it a bit more, and I realized you'd probably actually want to run around 199 speed to outrun parashuffler dnite and other things around that speed, since that's a fairly common defensive pokemon that might give jellicent trouble by throwing up a substitute on it.

Here's an unusual one that I'm not surprised hasn't been around more, but it's plenty powerful:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
80 Atk/252 SpAtk/176 Spe
Hasty(Naive) / Multiscale

Hurricane
Thunder
Dragon Claw/Dragon Pulse
Agility

A bit low in sweeping power, but there's a couple minor (though valid) reasons to go mixed:
1: gets the KO vs. 252 HP Latias while keeping a 1hko on all other dragons (even at -1 attack)
2: can KO Gastrodon at 50% or less health, where Hurricane would fall short
3: allows you to bluff a physical set while luring in physical walls

The bluff is key, as you can hide the nature of the set and have people assume it's an offensive DD set with Roost/dclaw/fire punch/dd. EVs let you outspeed Timid Scarf Latios and jolly scarf terrakion after the agility. You're stuck using a defense-lowering nature when going mixed, but if you use dpulse you can go timid and enjoy the extra bulk at the expense of the opponent knowing you've got a non-standard dnite set. Rain support is obviously a must, and dugtrio support is also extremely helpful.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Ah. Yeah, I'm kinda new to the other misc. forums on here. I normally don't go too far past tournaments. But since I'm in DR regularly now, I've decided to post in here since I do play Comp. Pokemon.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Donphan @ Rocky Helmet
Adamant
Sturdy
252 HP/252 Atk/1 Spe
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Ice Shard
Stone Edge

Troll-phan. Rapid Spin for utility/doing its job, earthquake for a reliable STAB, Stone Edge/Ice Shard for hitting flying/faster pokes. A few fun notes on this set: built in focus sash with sturdy, an ice shard on an enemy you to be u-turning (see flygon/etc.) will just about kill them. Without any leftovers, survivability is low, so I mainly use her as a sacrificial lamb to physical hits, usually able to withstand unboosted STAB physical hits. Incredibly good at taking out leads, especially taunters for obvious reasons. Works well with arcanine/extreme speed users to clean up scarf-ers.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's a basically standard Donphan with Rocky Helmet instead of Lefties or Lum Berry.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i was under the impression that standard ran stealth rocks over stone edge, hence why everyone tryies to either taunt to switch in espeon/xatu

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Golduck:
Naive/Rindo Berry
252 Speed/252 Sp.Atk/4 HP
Yawn
Substitute
Calm Mind
Scald

I couldn't find anything to add to it outside of Leftovers but since there's an item clause and yada yada, I just prepared myself for grass attacks.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
i was under the impression that standard ran stealth rocks over stone edge, hence why everyone tryies to either taunt to switch in espeon/xatu
Stone Edge isn't a nonviable option. It's just most people use Donphan because it has a usable attack stat, can set up Rocks and Spin. It's still not uncommon to see offensive spinners in its tier.

Golduck:
Naive/Rindo Berry
252 Speed/252 Sp.Atk/4 HP
Yawn
Substitute
Calm Mind
Scald

I couldn't find anything to add to it outside of Leftovers but since there's an item clause and yada yada, I just prepared myself for grass attacks.
Item Clause doesn't exist outside of Nintendo stuff. Anything you'll play against anyone in a non Nintendo thing won't have item Clause. If you're using this in like VGC, fine then, but Item Clause doesn't exist in any other serious rulesets.

Golduck honestly doesn't have any business setting up Calm Minds. It has waaaaay too much competition for that, especially in Suicune and Slowbro.

If it were me, I'd run Choice Scarf with Hydro Pump and Ice Beam with two fillers to get the best of Sun Teams.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Item Clause doesn't exist outside of Nintendo stuff. Anything you'll play against anyone in a non Nintendo thing won't have item Clause. If you're using this in like VGC, fine then, but Item Clause doesn't exist in any other serious rulesets.

Golduck honestly doesn't have any business setting up Calm Minds. It has waaaaay too much competition for that, especially in Suicune and Slowbro.

If it were me, I'd run Choice Scarf with Hydro Pump and Ice Beam with two fillers to get the best of Sun Teams.
Maybe Psychic/Psyshock and Signal Beam?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Maybe Focus Blast and Hidden Power Electric or Grass.

Psychic might work over Hidden Power in some situations, too.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
1: Golduck can run a decent CM set, you just have to be prepared to lose to other boosting Water-types since they generally have better bulk or offensive power...you have to dedicate yourself to sweeping by running LO with Surf/Ice Beam/coverage (hidden power grass, focus blast, and psychic are all good options) Alternatively, you could run a full support set, since I can't really tell what the goal of the set you posted is since it's a strange mix of moves, and his stats don't let him run mixed utility sets. He has to specialize in order to really be successful with the varied tools he has.

2: Encore is a good thing on the duck, use it over CM so it can support your doubles partner better. Encore+CM is also a nice option, since water+ice is still good coverage-wise and you can encore the opponent into various moves.

3: Rindo is a niche item, but if you're trying to fit it in with item clause for vgc and you can't use LO or lefties, use Wacan berry instead, as stuff like Discharge and Thunder is more common than Giga Drain/GK with the new metagame.

edit: I keep assuming vgc because in most other competitive settings item clause isn't used. In doubles, play to Golduck's support movepool and you won't be disappointed. In singles, his best set is just a LO+4 attacks set since he outspeeds most common weather abusers and he needs the extra power (base 85 beats most standard chlorophyllers except stuff like lilligant and sawsbuck, outruns stoutland, and also beats kabutops/omastar/ludicolo and co., though his coverage vs. other water-types is abysmal).

to sum up, offensive CM is outclassed but still is fun to try. Encore is very useful and unexpected. Support set is best for doubles, LO+4 attacks is best for singles (hydro pump/ice beam/hp grass/psychic).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The Type resistant berries exist. It's the Stat Boosting Berries (Leichi, Salac, etc) that don't.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Although the PKMN isn't out, I tested it on PO, and it works better then I've hoped:

Choice Scarf Genesect
Timid/Modest Nature.
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp.Att, 252 Spd.
Moves:
Flash Cannon
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
U-Turn for Scarfs..? :facepalm:

Here's another one.

Swampert Sweepset
Nature: Jolly/Adament
EVs: HP, 252, Attack, 252, Spd: 4
Items: Leftovers/Life Irb
Moveset:
Outrage
Curse
Earthquake/Waterfall
Substitute

This is what my Swampert, Zendo, knows. I usually use him for Baton Pass use.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Outrage is TERRIBLE on non-dragons and Substitute is worthless lol

Also JOLLY CURSEPERT?

you're better just using EQ/Waterfall/Ice Punch/Curse... and even that's really mediocre.

Also Asage I hope you facepalmed at yourself very hard because you forgot U-turn on Sect =p

With U-Turn it's better to run Naive, though.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Outrage bad? LOL Ok, man. Tested, and I swept an Uber team with it. Curse was my weakpoint. Not sure what to replace it with... Maybe a new attack like Ice Punch or Stone Edge.

Have you ever met an Uber user of Substitute? Just askin...

No, I facepalmed because u don't teach Scarfsect U-Turn -_-

Also, I'm in a group on PO that discusses these things. We test b4 we submit. Now, I'm not gunna state that this is the best Swampert. There are weaknesses. Grass, Haze, Taunt, Dragon Tail, etc.. But this is what mine runs on. I've alrdy been thinking about curse. Ice Punch is too late for it. Stone Egde and Brick Break are the next options. (I usually have it Baton Pass'd neways :laugh:)

Top Bottom