• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Marth.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
You're ok. I think you should focus mainly on trying to have less upB on the ground. Its very good if it hits, but more often than not it will miss, leaving you open to an attack. You need to shield grab more, as grabs are marths best friend. Good job on the SHF aeirals. nO problems there...

Im glad that you are one of the people who have realized brawl is more defensive than melee. Lots of people play it like melee but then get pwned cuz of the smart defensive players.

You did good. That sheik was bomb too.

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
You're okay. I think you should focus mainly on trying to have less upB on the ground. Its very good if it hits, but more often than not it will miss, leaving you open to an attack. You need to shield grab more, as grabs are marths best friend. Good job on the SHF aeirals. nO problems there...

Im glad that you are one of the people who have realized brawl is more defensive than melee. Lots of people play it like melee but then get pwned cuz of the smart defensive players.

You did good. That sheik was bomb too.

SFJake

Smash Apprentice
And I'm pissed that some people don't understand that no matter what the dominant play style will become, some will keep their aggressive or melee play style no matter what. Some PREFER it that way. EVEN competitive players might decide to do so in the same way one might decide to go with a lower tier.

And as I always said in any games, if defense always pwn defense, then the game sucks. Thats also why I only play people who do not play defensively, I guess.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Actually brawl is set up in a rock, paper, scissors sort of way so that no one play style dominates. If a person plays defense, grab him. If they attack, block. If they grab, attack. To play a good character, you need to adaptable. The strategy i described up there i call "jaken" (japanese for rock, paper, scissors). I may post a thread about this later.

Neway, back to your marth. I like the way you play. I think you just need to practice your dancing blade so you get all the hits in (you probably just have to slow down a bit). When you see someone charge a smash, walk/run to them and counter to dish it back in thier face. Also, practice "dunking" (spiking) with marth. Shiek can be spiked easily when she tries her up b. Oh, if shiek is high on damage and you shield one of her attacks, up+b out of your shield.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ya, this whole "defensive thing" is heading toward the brawl vs. melee debate. Let's leave that to the tactical discussion thread -.- (since there's like 70 of those)

Anyways, it's definitely a different play-style that most marths(which can be good). I would agree with backslash, but also try and space out a bit more. Sheik likes to get in close, either grab to get some distance between you two, or try doing retreating fairs(with c-stick) as she chases you. Also, work on getting those hits to tip when trying to space. I think your main problem is that you're letting Shiek get too close to you.

Good marth though =].

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
There's a few problems with the people talking about "styles"...

The whole deal with playing it defensive and less "aggressive" is sorta BS. I agree SFJake. The whole "style" concept is basically like believing in Tiers. When casual players watched competitive Melee players go at it--usually they pick up something. That goes to saying its how they WILL play and it will inevitably change. So aggressive... defensive... all sorts of "styles" is blah.

And... Marth is almost a great character to play similarly to "melee" if you will. SHFFing combined with dash canceling and fox trotting with dash dancing basically looks and plays mind games like "melee" Marth played. MORE SO... he's beyond upgraded since Melee... Argh... this is my opinion, because I play aggressive with Marth--being a Roy player in Melee.

But anyway... enough with that crap... (I apologize if I offended anyone, or attacked someone's opinion)

Unusual Rex, you're okay.

Don't Uspecial like crazy... you did too many even above solid ground (the only time you should even think of using that as a finisher is when they are 80%+ (depending on weight).

Don't run around doing Aerials, and miss. You got got you SHFFing down... incorporate that to your attacks. Nair is a great SHFFing attack when having foward or backward momentum (2nd hit will strike even if you're taller than enemy. That is usually when you have momentum)

Fair more often than Bair.

Try not to use attack. Marth's is slow and has no knock back--pretty much useless, except for some instances. (I've used it a few times, saying you shouldn't is hypocritical)

Use Fspecial + FIRST jump to your advantage to play mind games. (You probably have noticed that you have hang time after Fspecial + FIRST jump) you can also incorporate it to your recovery strategy. Also Fair gives forward momentum rather than Fspecial (but it has more frames, meaning if you attack, lag will potentially force you to miss the edge)

There's more, but eh... these are small things that I DO.

But overall, you just need to brush up. You're pretty good. Good Luck.

∫unk

Smash Master
You really need to work on your edgeguard game. That match could have ended much faster... there were so many times where sheik could have been gimped. Edgehog, drop down aerials, speed hugging all could have ended sheik's stocks earlier.

Marth is one of the few characters that can go aggressive, and it pays off to learn aggressive play because it puts campers in an uncomfortable position of constant pressure (although this sheik wasn't camping). Most of the time you were sitting back letting sheik get into her preferable position on the stage.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Not a bad marth.... different from my style for sure. I am a very aggressive player and always have been so i see combos that you may have missed and times where approaching would have been your best bet. Try to throw in more tilts. Uptilt is awesome and lets you save your upsmash for kills. Down tilt can be followed by another to poke at shields.. helps you keep pressure on when you are at the advantage. Forward tilt is faster than forward smash and has decent knock back. Try to pressure off the ledge more with fairs and nairs.
If you hit them way off you should try what my friend and i call a bair walk. This is when you run to the edge then jump and bair. The bair helps give you momentum so you can go farther and faster. From there you have a lot of DI control and can position for a bair or a dair if they are at the right place.
The defensive style is good.. but as soon as you have them in the air.... don't let off. Learn to switch from defensive into combos and you can have a dangerous marth.
Work on using the dancing blade to rack up damage. On battle field... dancing blade with the up finish can kill at like 130. Also watch the ^B... it has great knock back and is usually only good when coming out of a shield and can kill at high %.
Overall.. nice marth.. keep practicing and developing you style.

AuraMarth

Smash Apprentice
Good Marth. I didn't see one Shieldbreaker which is good for poking and kills at high percentage and keeps them guessing. I didn't see a lot of shield grabs either which set up other approaches and abilities. Balance in Dancing Blade ending with the down stab animation. F smash was your main smash which is fine but d smash is the hidden gem of Marths smashes which comes out fastest and will kill at 120 ish percent. I like how you used d smash at the end for the win. Good song choices too hehe...

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the responses! I think I may make another video soon.

I didn't use shield breaker much because if I miss, I'm screwed against Sheik. She's really fast. Anyways, I'll try to add it to my game when I see fit. I'm also trying to do more d-smashes, and grabs.

Also, what is better about a shield grab, than a regular one?

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Marth's shieldgrab is guaranteed to connect if you block an attack up close (usually) and if it misses for some reason, it has no significant lag. On the other hand, marth's dash grab has awful lag when it misses and the range of it is even worse.

xMiMix

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Ontario. I have a really good connection,
My reply will consist in a couple of points:
1. Counter. There was a lot of times where sheik was just charging her fsmash, and you just stood there, sometimes I like to take it to a greater level and jump into it with a down b. Or when sheik is chasing you in the air with her fairs, you know that the person was using the same tactic thought out the whole fight, throw in a counter, and the sheik user will think twice.
2. Sheildbreaker. Although I didn't notice the sheik player shielding, the shield breaker has massive range, and if you tip it properly, it has awesome knock back. There were times when you could have just pressed it once and sheik would not be able to recover from it.
3. Double Fair. The way I play Marth is that when I have a chance to do a double fair, I go for it. A lot of the times the opponent rolls away from it causing the 1st fair to miss, and then shortly after if you do your second fair while still keeping the momentum and moving forward, you will land the 2nd fair from which you can do your ftilt or your fsmash, maybe even the side b combo.
4. Spike. Although you do play defensively, there were times when you could have spiked sheik right before she grabs the edge, and you wouldn't even have had to leave the ground really. Just SH and do a dair, the sword will go though the map and should hit them. Its very situational, but I've done it a thousand times on my friend's DDD.

Thats it, feel free to take what you want from this post, also post any concerns about my "theories". =D

*Edit*

After looking again, you should also grab. You can do a forward grab, then follow up with a double fair and w.e. you want after it.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
hmm, needs a little work, i can say that u need to edge gaurd better and try edgehogging more especially agenst shiek. kinda seeing that your timing with moves are kinda off. and ur kinda gettn messed up on what moves to use at what time, like ur up smashing when someone is recovering .. most of the time they are going to go for the edge so u have a better chance at forward smash than up smash. like to play u some time tho :D nice vid, good music was a good watch :)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Most of what I was going to say has been said by the rest of the awesome Marth's here. Marth has other approaches besides Fair, and you got punished for being predictable with it on your second to last stock, and lost that stock. Running off Fair is a very good edgeguarder, and far too many times you jumped for the ledge instead of jumping off at Sheik.

Basically, what you need to realize is that with the RANGE of Marth's fair, most people cannot successfully out Aerial him, and he is nearly an unavoidable obstacle of death.

YOU MUST TRUST in Marth, to be able to jump far away from the stage, and still recover. His recovery is pretty amazing.

Top Bottom