• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate my Luigi (Vids included)

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
My advice would be to wavedash more,SHFFL and Lcan some of your attacks more often.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Aside from too much standing still and some questionable decision making around the edges, your Luigi is pretty decent.

It's not so much that you need to short hop more, it's that you need to fastfall and L-cancel your aerials. You should also make an effort to use more wavedash jabs and JC grabs when approaching somebody.

Trust me, doing these will help you against good people (that Sheik was terrible and you clearly don't need help against him/her).

SexualHarassmentPanda

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, after watching myself and watching some Ka-master and ROFL i realized how useful the jabs can be for approach. I also realize my ff's and l-cancels need to be improved on.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
There are some good strategies into making a definately decent Luigi. Some things that were missing were:
- Maniac Wavedashes
- Mind gaming
- Luring
- Fast Falls and L cancel
- Chain Grabs/Throws
- Better aproaches

Maniac Wavedashes: Though it may not sound like much, wavedashing with a Luigi is actually pretty good. Normally Luigi is slowish-normal speed character. With this wavedash technique, you can easily pretend to move fast. Wave dashing can easily help you lead into better approaches such as, "Wavedash ~> Up Smash", "Wavedash ~> Down Smash", "Wavedash ~> Jab ~> Backwards Grab". Wave dashes can help lead to better approaches. I'll explain down the list!

Mind Games: Dash dancing isn't for fun and to look spazzy cool. It's a big part in mind games. Run back and forth, Luigi is either going to charge into with a wave dash linked combo, or run away like a sissy and start camping. You could also dash dance into a better position to start SHFFLing. Luigi is cool because he can double U-air, B-air, F-air, D-Air. This means getting people and by breaking their shields, or at least attempts to break their shields. All of Luigi's aerials can be linked to a N-air. Such as the U-air and then then N-Air etc.

Luring Your Opponent: Turreting is terrible with Luigi. Do not do it unless you're going to link up the fireball attacks with a quick wavedash ~> grab. If you know your opponent likes shuffling, you would like to shield grab. Shield grabbing can lead into more combos or a chain grab. Camping seems to be the best way to Lure your opponents if they are not Foxes or Falcos.

Fast Falls and L Cancel: Just smash downwards after the peak of your jump and press L, R, or Z before you land! ;)

Chain Grabs/Throws: Here is one thing Luigi isn't bad at. It's chain grabbing! Depening on the % of your opponent or how fast they fall, you would chose to use the U-Throw or the D-Throw. If your opponent smashes their DI, your super fast Captain Falcon equivalent wavedash, can help you catch up to your opponent, no problem, and throw them again. Don't forget to press and additional Z or A when you grab for another 1-3 damage!

Better Aproaches: Good aproaches with Luigi:
"Wavedash ~> Up Smash"
"Wavedash ~> Down Smash"
"Wavedash ~> Right Tilt"
"Wavedash ~> Jab ~> Backwards Grab"
"Wavedash ~> SHFFL"
"The amazing down B!!!"
"Dash Dance ~> Dash Attack"- But not reliable and gets predictable
"The amazing Wavedash ~> Up B" - Or maybe not as amazing.....

There are better approaches. Or should I say more?

Try watching videos from Ppa0. He has a Luigi tutor video.

Other than that! Keep trying on getting better!
Until then have fun ;)

SexualHarassmentPanda

Smash Rookie
most of these things i already know from watching the ppao videos and ka-master. But there are some things that i havn't accually applied to my game and I am glad that u stressed them. I will be sure to practise these things more now.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
No problem! I actually got most of this off of studying Ppa0's gameplay. I'm a terrible Luigi player myself!

C 3

Smash Ace
Too much crouch cancelling, light shield more (lightly holding the block button for a bigger shield).

Fastfall

Be more selective with your moves; don't leave yourself so open.

If you're up close with an opponent, don't stand and shield, grab!

you're a bit too idol, move a bit more, get WD goin more, get some mind games happenin.

Good double aerials, but don't waste too much time doing them into the air.

When recovering, the best formula with Luigi is:

missiles
cyclone
jump
Up B

When facing an opponent with high percentage, avoid attacks that send them in the air. They don't link to anything, and with decent DI they won't die. Only go for it if their % is 150 or more, or go for the Up B, very underrated move.

Watch out for invincibility frames

Other than those things, you're doing fine, keep it up. Sorry to sound so picky, but the little things make up the big picture.

Keep up the good work!!!!

C 3

Smash Ace
Btw, I love ppa0 and everything, but considering how Ka teaches ppa0, and Ka Master is the best luigi main out there right now (not to mention #1 in Washington) I would follow in his footsteps.

Scorpions

Smash Rookie
Funny things about the 2nd video:

"Yeah you like that tornado up your ***...."

[death of luigi] "EEEEEEEEEEK!!!" *girl scream*

xD

SexualHarassmentPanda

Smash Rookie
haha scorpions, and C3 thanks that stuff I will be sure to apply to my game next time. And I know that Ka > Ppao but Ppao's is really stylish. And I have been trying to follow Ka's gameplay more then Ppao's.

C 3

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to say ur an idiot or anything lol just tryin to help in the greatest detail. I make a whole bunch of mistakes myself, but it's easier to fix them once you have the right information.

Top Bottom