• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate And Discuss Their Chances: Old thread needs to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So it appears as almost no one understands the system correctly.

Quite frankly, the fact that I made this so hard to understand is my fault and not that of the members. While I can say I understand how this works because after all, I made the game, I realize how complicated I made this system of how to play the game. Rate Their Chances should be an easy game to play which everyone can get into, not a complicated system that requires me to spend many hours on the Internet just to explain things, which ultimately did not end up helping much.

Given that we are very early in this game, I want to reboot this game with a much simpler format so that everyone can understand this and there wouldn't need to be such a fuss over how we're suppose to vote and such. Hopefully, no one would be upset over something that isn't nearly as unnecessarily complicated as this one, but if you do object to it, do speak.

I am going to make up a much simpler version of this game and will share it whenever possible (most likely tomorrow since I work late today). Then I'll present it in this thread and see what people think of it. If no one objects, we'll use that format.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Speak for yourself.:c

I like Zero-Suit Samus, but her being the only new Metroid character in Brawl was a nasty surprise, especially since she really is just eye-candy outside of Zero Mission (And her transformation was horribly implemented).
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the character itself. It simply means we should have gotten more. The addition of Zamus is great, just not as much as people wanted in terms of Metroid.

D

Deleted member

So what do people think of this for a reboot of the Rate Their Chance thread? If this is no rejection, I will get the mod to close this thread and open the new one with this version.

Rate and Discuss Their Chances: Characters!

[insert image for character up for discussion and voting]

Up For Prediction: X Character
Up for Discussing and Voting: X Character.
Up for Re-voting: No one (Yet).

Welcome everyone to the revival of what is known as Rate Their Chances!

Speculation is an important part of the Smash Bros. community. Almost everyone in the community has at least one desire for a character to join up in Smash and there are many of us here with many hopes and dreams in regards to the rosters. Smash Bros. is of course about the characters and as such, the most heated discussion before the release of the game is of course the characters.

What many people love about discussing characters is discussing their likelihood. They want to show the world that the character they dream of is a possibility and are willing to debate, argue, flame, and tear their way to have people understand their points. Rate Their Chances is intended to reflect that same feeling in regards to debate and even arguing if it gets intense (not so much flaming). Almost anyone is fair game, so the next 1 2/3 - 2 2/3 years will be one of Smash 4's greatest spectacle in speculation.

So with that said let the debates and voting begin!

(but before you start, make sure to read below. All of it)

How To Play:
Of course we can't play this game without knowing how to, so as we would expect from all games, a way to play it needs to be known.

Days occur on a daily basis. They will always be at least twenty-four hours, but sometimes may have to be longer due to scheduling at work, although I will try to get to as close as twenty-four hours as possible.

There are four phase; nominations, prediction, voting and discussing, and result. All four phases occur on a daily basis and at the same time, just with different characters in them.

Phase One - Nominations: For Day One only, this will be the only phase due to candidates up for predictions or voting. This phase is where you can nominate a character, in which you have five nominations (or ten if you win the prediction for a character). Every character who is eligible and everyone who has not reached the prediction or voting phase yet are in the nominations phase. Nominations do not restart after a day, they simply add up. Nominating is optional, but heavily recommended. The one that receives the most nominations will go on to the next phase, which is...

Phase Two - Prediction: This phase starts with the second most nominated character on the first day and every day after that the one who is the most nominated. Here, you predict the final score the character gets during the discussion and voting phase tomorrow, using a decimal number system from 0 to 5 with degrees up to the hundredth (example is 3.21). A phase for this exist so that cheating is prevented during the voting phase. Note that the prediction is only used for likelihood score. Predicting a character's score is optional, but also recommended.

Phase Three - Discussion and Voting: Starts coming in Day Two with whoever gets the most nomination on the first day. Any other characters on succeeding days will get in after going through Phase Two. Here is where you can discuss and vote for a character's likelihood and how much you want the character. When rating how much you want the character and using likelihood, like prediction, you will also use a 0 to 5 scale, using a decimal number system up to the hundredth. Last version of the game used a letter grade system, but with letter grades for likelihood and wants and a decimal number system for predictions, things got very confusing and disorganized. Having both as decimal number keep things much less confusing.

Voting for a character's likelihood and discussing it is mandatory if you are going to mention the character (unless of course you do not feel you can properly judge a character's odd and as such, decide to abstain). However, voting for how much you want a character is optional.

Phase Four - Results: Occurs starting Day Four. The final result for likelihood and wants are tallied up and presented to the thread. The one who's prediction for likelihood for a character is the closest will win five more nominations (or ten if they get it right). If multiple people get the same prediction, only the one who predict first will win.

Re-voting: A character cannot be re-voted until after one month has passed since they were voted. This is to ensure that the character can get a fair try again with new perspective, but also that they aren't abused in discussion. In order for a character who hasn't been voted for in a month to be voted again, they need 100 nominations. Note that nominations for re-votes are included within the five (or more) nominations you have for the day, so you cannot pour five nominations into a re-vote and vote for five other characters who have yet to be voted on.

When a character is nominated, they follow the same phase Two-Four as new characters, but they do not replace the new character; rather they compliment it and both are predicted, rated, and discussed.

I know this isn't entirely complete (and there are other things I need to remodel as well), but I decided to try to solve the meat of the problem by remodeling the How to Play section. Would this system be any better than the one I have in place?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay, let me try this...

King K.Rool. (I think I already posted my thoughts upon him.)

Want: 3.78.
Likelihood: 4.45.

For Ridley, I predict him to get 4.56 from tomorrow's discussion.

I think this seems more easier to get into. Kinda like what GameFAQ's Rate Their Chances sorta had in means of nominations... (-l.l-);

Is this how you do it SSBFan?

D

Deleted member

@Young Horsetail: The current system uses letter grades, but I want to change it to where wants, likelihood, and prediction all use decimal numbers. Basically, check my last post in this thread for how I want to change it in order to make it simpler.

This version of the game currently on is so difficult to run. It needs a reboot and some serious changes now before the problem becomes unfixable.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
SSBF, that sounds like it could work. The letter and decimal format confused a lot of people.

So let me get it straight:

First phase: nominations. We nominated five characters and can nominate a character more than once.

Second phase: prediction. We predict the final outcome based on a 5 decimal scale. However, this phase is optional and not mandatory to participate in.

Phase 3: voting and discussion. Members discuss the likeliness of the character and/or how much they want the character in Smash 4. The voting is done on a 0-5 decimal system as before.

Phase 4: results. After everything is counted, the final results are established.

As well, each day, we can nominate up to five characters, correct? So from phase one to phase four, we will be nominating 20 characters total?

So let's say K. Rool won and goes to phase 3. While phase 3 is progressing, phase 2 is starting. The next character who has the highest votes, let's say Ridley, goes to the prediction phase while K. Rool is being voted on. Then, the next day, K. olRools outcome is revealed, Ridley goes to Phase 3 and a new character is brought to phase 2. Is all that correct?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

SSBF, that sounds like it could work. The letter and decimal format confused a lot of people.

So let me get it straight:

First phase: nominations. We nominated five characters and can nominate a character more than once.

Second phase: prediction. We predict the final outcome based on a 5 decimal scale. However, this phase is optional and not mandatory to participate in.

Phase 3: voting and discussion. Members discuss the likeliness of the character and/or how much they want the character in Smash 4. The voting is done on a 0-5 decimal system as before.

Phase 4: results. After everything is counted, the final results are established.

As well, each day, we can nominate up to five characters, correct? So from phase one to phase four, we will be nominating 20 characters total?

So let's say K. Rool won and goes to phase 3. While phase 3 is progressing, phase 2 is starting. The next character who has the highest votes, let's say Ridley, goes to the prediction phase while K. Rool is being voted on. Then, the next day, K. olRools outcome is revealed, Ridley goes to Phase 3 and a new character is brought to phase 2. Is all that correct?

:phone:
All of that is correct, or at least all of that will be once I create a new thread for this game. I did state that the winner of the nomination went to Phase Two first than to Phase Three, but in order to keep the game from stagnating, I'll just take the highest nominated character of Day One to Phase Three and the second highest of that same day to Phase Two.

I'll modify the rest of OP and present it in a different post here. Then after everyone here understands, I'll post the new thread and ask the mod to lock this one.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
I give Quote a S-, since it'll might take a while to get used to his "unique" fight style... aka fast movement, weapon-rely attacks...
As well as nominating Lucas, Ness, Quote, and Barry! :D
somewhat related pic to quote...

P.S. what Barry are we talking about? The one from Pokemon DPPT?

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
I give Quote a S-, since it'll might take a while to get used to his "unique" fight style... aka fast movement, weapon-rely attacks...
As well as nominating Lucas, Ness, Quote, and Barry! :D
somewhat related pic to quote...

P.S. what Barry are we talking about? The one from Pokemon DPPT?
1.) we aren't talking about Quote
2.)What are you rating? Liklieness or want?
3.)Was that picture necessary
4.)You have an extra nomination you can use
5.)Who's Barry?

on topic: Ridley has made his mark as one of the icons of the metroid franchise. Metroid is still a growing and popular franchise that deserves not 1, not 2, but imo 3 reps. So Ridley is long over due as a character and I feel it could play similar to charizard. 3rd character? Dark Samus is most likely. Besides, how sweet would a meta-ridley alt skin be?

D

Deleted member

Alright, this is the entire post here. Hopefully, things make more sense. If you need something clarified or explained, I will do so before creating the new game thread.
Rate and Discuss Their Chances: Characters!

[insert image for character up for discussion and voting]

Up For Prediction: X Character
Up for Discussing and Voting: X Character.
Up for Re-voting: No one (Yet).

Welcome everyone to the revival of what is known as Rate Their Chances!

Speculation is an important part of the Smash Bros. community. Almost everyone in the community has at least one desire for a character to join up in Smash and there are many of us here with many hopes and dreams in regards to the rosters. Smash Bros. is of course about the characters and as such, the most heated discussion before the release of the game is of course the characters.

What many people love about discussing characters is discussing their likelihood. They want to show the world that the character they dream of is a possibility and are willing to debate, argue, flame, and tear their way to have people understand their points. Rate Their Chances is intended to reflect that same feeling in regards to debate and even arguing if it gets intense (not so much flaming). Almost anyone is fair game, so the next 1 2/3 - 2 2/3 years will be one of Smash 4's greatest spectacle in speculation.

So with that said let the debates and voting begin!

(but before you start, make sure to read below. All of it)

How To Play:
Of course we can't play this game without knowing how to, so as we would expect from all games, a way to play it needs to be known.

Days occur on a daily basis. They will always be at least twenty-four hours, but sometimes may have to be longer due to scheduling at work, although I will try to get to as close as twenty-four hours as possible.

There are four phase; nominations, prediction, voting and discussing, and result. All four phases occur on a daily basis and at the same time, just with different characters in them.

Phase One - Nominations: For Day One only, this will be the only phase due to candidates up for predictions or voting. This phase is where you can nominate a character, in which you have five nominations (or ten if you win the prediction for a character). Every character who is eligible and everyone who has not reached the prediction or voting phase yet are in the nominations phase. Nominations do not restart after a day, they simply add up. Nominating is optional, but heavily recommended. The one that receives the most nominations will go on to the next phase, which is...

Phase Two - Prediction: This phase starts with the second most nominated character on the first day and every day after that the one who is the most nominated. Here, you predict the final score the character gets during the discussion and voting phase tomorrow, using a decimal number system from 0 to 5 with degrees up to the hundredth (example is 3.21). A phase for this exist so that cheating is prevented during the voting phase. Note that the prediction is only used for likelihood score. Predicting a character's score is optional, but also recommended.

Phase Three - Discussion and Voting: Starts coming in Day Two with whoever gets the most nomination on the first day. Any other characters on succeeding days will get in after going through Phase Two. Here is where you can discuss and vote for a character's likelihood and how much you want the character. When rating how much you want the character and using likelihood, like prediction, you will also use a 0 to 5 scale, using a decimal number system up to the hundredth. Last version of the game used a letter grade system, but with letter grades for likelihood and wants and a decimal number system for predictions, things got very confusing and disorganized. Having both as decimal number keep things much less confusing.

Voting for a character's likelihood and discussing it is mandatory if you are going to mention the character (unless of course you do not feel you can properly judge a character's odd and as such, decide to abstain). However, voting for how much you want a character is optional.

Phase Four - Results: Occurs starting Day Four. The final result for likelihood and wants are tallied up and presented to the thread. The one who's prediction for likelihood for a character is the closest will win five more nominations (or ten if they get it right). If multiple people get the same prediction, only the one who predict first will win.

Re-voting: A character cannot be re-voted until after one month has passed since they were voted. This is to ensure that the character can get a fair try again with new perspective, but also that they aren't abused in discussion. In order for a character who hasn't been voted for in a month to be voted again, they need 100 nominations. Note that nominations for re-votes are included within the five (or more) nominations you have for the day, so you cannot pour five nominations into a re-vote and vote for five other characters who have yet to be voted on.

When a character is nominated, they follow the same phase Two-Four as new characters, but they do not replace the new character; rather they compliment it and both are predicted, rated, and discussed.

The Seven Deadly Rules:
In this intense forum where flame wars are very susceptible to breaking out, some order will be needed to keep things clean.

1. 4th party characters, ones who have not been on a Nintendo console, or ones that do not exist are not eligible for ratings. So no Goku, Master Chief, or 7th Gen Pokemon.

2. This is a game, please treat it as such. Respect everyone's opinion, including ones who you dissent from.

3. Debates about the character is fine, in fact, encouraged. However, flame wars are not tolerated and will be punished on site. Those who participates in them will be reported for flaming and lose the ability to nominate characters or vote for two days on the first offense. Second offense is four days, third offense is a permanent ban from participating in this game.

4. Bias is inevitable when it comes to opinions, but keep them in check. Giving a character a 0 or 5 in likelihood because you loathe/love the character will cause your vote to be skipped over. Troll voting is also unacceptable and that will result in you being unable to nominate or vote a character for two days.

5. Any of the characters below are not eligible due to being agreed upon 99% universally that they will be in:

- Mario
- Luigi
- Peach
- Bowser
- Donkey Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Yoshi
- Wario
- Link
- Zelda
- Samus
- Pit
- Kirby
- King Dedede
- Fox
- Pikachu
- Captain Falcon

Anyone else is fair game. Veterans from Melee and Brawl will be put into their own category and all of the veterans not eligible will be put in with a 5. This is to prevent a case of "why are we voting someone so obvious it's not funny?"

6. Do not use this thread to "increase/decrease" a character's odds. This thread is a game, meaning that it should be treated as such; just for fun and nothing else.

7. NEVER, EVER, counter the ratings. People are entitled to have dissenting opinions from you. Giving a character a low or high score because scores looks unfavorable to you shows that you are butthurt. Anyone who does this will suffer the same punishment like with flaming.

Failure to adhere to these rules will result in your ability to participate in this thread being removed.

Fallacious Arguments That Are Not Allowed:
I encourage any form of logic in debates, but what I don't accept are arguments that are pure bias (unless that bias is used for how much they want a character and only that). Some arguments that will invalidate a vote if no valid arguments is present:

This character sucks/rocks and won't/will be in because of this: Love/hate the character? Give high or low score on the want scale. Rating chances requires you try to be objective and explain why you believe your choice has the shot it does. If all your chances vote are influence by pure bias, then you shouldn't be participating.

She's a female, therefore likely: And before anyone points to what Sakurai said about Zero Suit Samus, she fulfilled Sakurai's four criteria's, so she would have still gotten in even if Sakurai wasn't concern about adding females. Females that do get in will get in by their own merit and what Sakurai thinks of them, not by affirmative action.

He/she/it is a villain: Since when has Sakurai ever added a character based off being a villain? Villains will only be added if they are worthy of a spot, If being a villain is all you have, then you have no ground to stand on saying a character has a shot of being in.

He/she/it has no potential for fighting!: Unless you can explain why the character doesn't have the potential to fight, then if this is all you have, your vote is invalidated. End of story.

He/she/it will be in because... I say so!: Explain why you think a character's odd is what they are. Don't just slap in a likelihood rating and expect me to count it. It in no way does it show that you have reasons to believe that a character is of that likelihood.

FAQs:
[COLLAPSE="I want to participate in this, but I don't know where to start for or against a character's chances."]

The most important thing to look at is Sakurai's four criteria. Every character in Brawl met this, so it's a good thing to go by. The four criteria Sakurai mentioned are:

- People must want to play as this character
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the game
- The character must be adaptable

If a character fits, chances are that they have a realistic chance of getting in.

Other things to keep in mind is the importance of the character, Sakurai's bias and interest in a character's inclusion for SSB4, and to a lesser extend, representation. Also keep in mind that Sakurai usually includes transformation when discussing characters, saying that Melee has 26 instead of 25 and Brawl has 39 instead of 35. Relevance, promotion and patterns are also allowed in here, since I can see the reason why people use them, but given that Sakurai has stated nothing about any of these being a contributing factor, I would discourage people from using it and stick to what Sakurai has stated.

[COLLAPSE="Once we vote/predict, are we allow to change them?"]Of course, but you are only allowed to change predictions during the prediction phase and vote during the voting phase. This is to prevent cheating.

[COLLAPSE="Will voting veterans and newcomers come at the same time or will only one character be voted, regardless of status, and are veterans and newcomers nominations counted differently?
"]Only one character will be voted, regardless of status. You only get five nominations, regardless of whenever or not it's a veteran or a newcomer.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="How long is this game going to last?"]Unless there is some major hiccups or e-drama that cause the thread to be closed, it should last until Smash 4 gets released.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Super Smash Bros. 4 has been released! Will you be doing one for SSB5?"]Almost certainly not. I am planning on going retro after SSB4 releases since it is one of the last games I am anticipating. If someone wants a SSB5 variation, they are going to have to take over for that game.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Lame. We're only discussing and rating characters? What else is there to it?"]Music to fit the character. You can mention music for specific characters if you want more of a soundtrack for it while it is still up in discussion/voting phase. I will also create a game thread specifically for the General Discussion SSB4 forum, which will cover other aspects of the game.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Anything I can do to help?"]A banner would be nice, but not necessary. However, you can help by suggesting how to improve this so that this can be a more enjoyable experience for everyone.[/COLLAPSE]
[COLLAPSE="Yay! A character did well in ratings! I'm going to use this to push a character I want!"]Did you hear? Bad things happen when you try to use this to push for characters inclusion.[/COLLAPSE][/COLLAPSE]
Veterans and Newcomers:
Want to see how a character did? Check here:

Veterans:
1. Mario (5)
2. Luigi (5)
3. Peach (5)
4. Bowser (5)
5. Donkey Kong (5)
6. Diddy Kong (5)
7. Yoshi (5)
8. Wario (5)
9. Link (5)
10. Zelda (5)
11. Samus (5)
12. Kirby (5)
13. King Dedede (5)
14. Fox (5)
15. Pikachu (5)
16. Captain Falcon (5)
17. Pit (5)

Newcomers:

Changes to Characters:

Alternate Costumes:

Nominations:
[insert nominations]

Links And References:
Day One (Nominations):[insert links]

Music For All To Enjoy:

Game:
Nomination Music (Earthbound Main Menu Theme, Any Day)
Discussion, Debating, and Arguing (Yu Yu Hakusho's Monster Suit, Any Day)
A Heated Argument (Dragon Ball Z's Japanese Fight Theme, Any Day)

Characters:
[insert themes]

Misc.:
"I'm Coming Out" (Diana Ross, Any Day)

Have you read all of this? If not, go back and read them. Then come below and have fun![/COLLAPSE]

jigglover

Smash Lord
Would like to nominate kamek (x4) and plusle and minun once again. I screwed up a couple of days ago when I thought that I'd nominated kamek, so feel as if I need to nominate him 4 times to make up for it. Also, since plusle and minun are on 3, m=the two characters I want in ssb4 the most will both have 4.

D

Deleted member

Hmm... I have a question SSBF.

Would a character like Banjo be considered "4th party" (because he is currently owned by Microsoft)=????

Would that still be the case if by some divine miracle by *insert your God or gods here* this happened=???
A character is eligible as long as they have appeared on a Nintendo console, so Banjo is eligible for inclusion. It's just that it is not going to happen since Banjo is owned by Microsoft (at least realistically). Still, there will be those who insist on them being possibilities and we can't factually prove otherwise until the final roster is revealed.

Anyway, I am going to have this thread closed since the previous system makes no sense and will create a new thread with another system.

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy, I am rebooting this game. Please close this thread, I am making a new game thread with the new rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom