• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ranking moves in Characters (Round 21: Discussing Down-Special)

What will you like to discuss next?

• Jabs

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • Grabs

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Continue with Specials

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I feel like Clouds dash attack is bottom of A at best, it's pretty unsafe and doesn't have the range of his other moves. Not a oot of reasons to use it, and not just because he has amazing other options. Saving grace is that it kills and has a good angle on hit for juggling.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I can concur with Puff's dash attack rank ↑. The move is what makes Puff's ground-game much better than before. Plus, it has partial invincibility for beating-out moves for sure.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link's should be wherever Dedede's is. They're quite similar. Link's honestly feels better to me because of its anti-air properties.
^This. :4link:'s DA starts 6 frames faster than :4dedede:'s and hits above BF's lower platforms with smash attack power. It's limited to a chase/punish and not good but no worse than DDD's.

Shouldn't :4palutena:'s DA be S tier with :4metaknight: and :4samus:? Body invincibility frames 4-15. IMO :4ganondorf:'s is A tier; it's great but has frame data slower enough from the S tiers to be 1 tier under them.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
^This. :4link:'s DA starts 6 frames faster than :4dedede:'s and hits above BF's lower platforms with smash attack power. It's limited to a chase/punish and not good but no worse than DDD's.

Shouldn't :4palutena:'s DA be S tier with :4metaknight: and :4samus:? Body invincibility frames 4-15. IMO :4ganondorf:'s is A tier; it's great but has frame data slower enough from the S tiers to be 1 tier under them.
I disagree about dropping Dorf to A tier, while it is slower the good knockback, range & the sourspot is enough to keep it in S tier.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
For a swordie:4miisword: has a pretty solid dash attack coming out on frame 9(which for a swordsman dash attack is fairly good) has a large disjointed hitbox with a lot of active frames and he slides pretty far when he uses it making it a good burst option and an option to catch landings. Imo it's B tier.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I propose moving :4marth::4lucina: down to D. Not only are they on the really slow end in terms of both startup and endlag, they come with even more problems in practice. The move incorporates a swing...and step. They keep moving forward after the swing which is inconvenient when they're blocked, because they're putting themselves into shieldgrab range after the swing. Marth in particular has this really bad sourspot closest to his body that's negative on hit until ~65% when it starts inducing tumble. You can dash grab or dash attack Marth on reaction before he can act again. But the other sourspot hit (yes, there are two) doesn't have this issue. Lucina has a bit of this issue at very low percents, but hers induces tumble sooner and has only one hitbox so there's no need to worry about spacing. The main draw for Marth is his killing power on tipper, but is it really significant? It begins killing Mario at the ledge at around 130%. Marth's dash attack is notably weaker than his Ftilt, as well as Dolphin Slash. And you have to remember that the tipper is only about 10-15% of the move's range. To compare to other killing Dash attacks, Link kills at the ledge at 75% with the tipper, and 100% with a sourspot. Ike's sweetspot kills at 90%. Roy's at 100% with his sweetspot. Lucas at 120% with his sweetspot. Little Mac at 120% with his sweetspot. And Dedede kills at 65%. All of these moves kill sooner and more consistently than Marth's.
As for :4feroy:, I think C is appropriate for him. As mentioned, his kills 30% earlier than Marth's (it's comparable to his and Marth's Ftilt), and his sweetspot is more than half of his blade. And despite Roy's backhanded sword style, I think his dash attack hitbox is larger than Marth's. Though it is hard to tell by looking at them since Marth swings... and then steps to make it look like a much shorter attack than it actually is. Plus Roy's sourspot isn't lacking in knockback so much that he could ever be punished on hit like Marth and Lucina could. Plus you'll see Roy's Dash attack in combos. Linking from moves like Nair, Fair, Dtilt, and Fthrow. True combo ranges are small, but it doesn't hurt to try when they have to burn double jump or tech roll to escape.

And Falcon should move out of S. I know it looks like Samus', but if you watch carefully, Samus engages a jetpack that propels her into people far away. If you want a specific late hit, you know when to engage the dash attack in terms of distance. Falcon's late hit is much more precise to land, and doesn't have nearly as much combo potential because of greater endlag, and Falcon's longer startup on moves. Falcon's dash attack is certainly low commitment and has ten active hit frames, but that's all it has going for it. It doesn't lead into high damage combos or kills like other current S tiers do. I think B would be better for him.

Cloud also has to move down to B at least. It has the same startup as DK, but with less active frames, less range, and more endlag. It also doesn't lead into anything or kill.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I propose moving :4marth::4lucina: down to D. Not only are they on the really slow end in terms of both startup and endlag, they come with even more problems in practice. The move incorporates a swing...and step. They keep moving forward after the swing which is inconvenient when they're blocked, because they're putting themselves into shieldgrab range after the swing. Marth in particular has this really bad sourspot closest to his body that's negative on hit until ~65% when it starts inducing tumble. You can dash grab or dash attack Marth on reaction before he can act again. But the other sourspot hit (yes, there are two) doesn't have this issue. Lucina has a bit of this issue at very low percents, but hers induces tumble sooner and has only one hitbox so there's no need to worry about spacing. The main draw for Marth is his killing power on tipper, but is it really significant? It begins killing Mario at the ledge at around 130%. Marth's dash attack is notably weaker than his Ftilt, as well as Dolphin Slash. And you have to remember that the tipper is only about 10-15% of the move's range. To compare to other killing Dash attacks, Link kills at the ledge at 75% with the tipper, and 100% with a sourspot. Ike's sweetspot kills at 90%. Roy's at 100% with his sweetspot. Lucas at 120% with his sweetspot. Little Mac at 120% with his sweetspot. And Dedede kills at 65%. All of these moves kill sooner and more consistently than Marth's.
As for :4feroy:, I think C is appropriate for him. As mentioned, his kills 30% earlier than Marth's (it's comparable to his and Marth's Ftilt), and his sweetspot is more than half of his blade. And despite Roy's backhanded sword style, I think his dash attack hitbox is larger than Marth's. Though it is hard to tell by looking at them since Marth swings... and then steps to make it look like a much shorter attack than it actually is. Plus Roy's sourspot isn't lacking in knockback so much that he could ever be punished on hit like Marth and Lucina could. Plus you'll see Roy's Dash attack in combos. Linking from moves like Nair, Fair, Dtilt, and Fthrow. True combo ranges are small, but it doesn't hurt to try when they have to burn double jump or tech roll to escape.

And Falcon should move out of S. I know it looks like Samus', but if you watch carefully, Samus engages a jetpack that propels her into people far away. If you want a specific late hit, you know when to engage the dash attack in terms of distance. Falcon's late hit is much more precise to land, and doesn't have nearly as much combo potential because of greater endlag, and Falcon's longer startup on moves. Falcon's dash attack is certainly low commitment and has ten active hit frames, but that's all it has going for it. It doesn't lead into high damage combos or kills like other current S tiers do. I think B would be better for him.

Cloud also has to move down to B at least. It has the same startup as DK, but with less active frames, less range, and more endlag. It also doesn't lead into anything or kill.
I wouldn't be surprised if Roy's dash attack hits further away than Marth's, it has an invisible disjoint on the end.

MKchouy

Smash Cadet
Feel like Fox's should be S tier.

Low percents it combos into jabs and up tilts, mid percent it combos into nair which sets up for tech chases, high percents it combos to uair, kill percent it 50/50s. Its utility is amazing and relatively safe.

link's is hard to judge because on its own, it's not very good. But it works with his kit of weak nair to DA killing extremely early especially after the buff.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Honestly not seeing what makes Falco's Dash Attack D-tier. It has a nice lingering hitbox allowing it to trap landings and it sends the Opponent at an angle perfect for Uair and Fair Follow-ups (most characters are frame trapped into Fair if i'm not mistaken). Yeah its unsafe, but thats why you shouldn't be throwing it out recklessly. Its definetly a way more useful move than most of the D and C Rank Dash attacks.

Also, Falcon's Dash Attack should stay S-Rank imo. It covers that zone where Falcon can't Dash Grab his opponents in front of him nicely and sets up into Uair followups pretty well. Its not as good as Samus's DA for combos, but its faster and larger hitbox make it better as an attack overall.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Link's is definitely not F tier. It's a kill confirm from weak Nair.

https://youtu.be/dIdGiHzIN8o

Check out how well it's used in this set. I'm not sure where I'd rank it personally (I want to say C), but it's not a bad move at all by any means. It's also high risk/high reward. Doesn't make it poor.

Last edited:

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
You'd be surprised how often this works. It also can be used after some lower % bomb hits and lower % bair can often hit. This move can in fact kill at around 60% at the ledge. Honestly it should be treated as a smash attack. By itself, it's not great. But it has to be treated very differently than other dash attacks. I find it C tier all things considered.

:4bowser: pretty average. I often use it to catch people after hitting the ground after a lower % jab. It's literally a dash just to cause some damage in some situations. Probably C

:4marth: I really find this a lackluster dash attack honestly. Pretty slow, with not much reward. I almost never use it. I'd say D, especially since every other move he has is generally better.

:4ganondorf: Yeah dis is good like people said. As long as the Ganon isn't telegraphed in how often they use it it's an S dash. Weak hit leads to follow ups and strong hit is...strong

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
:4wiifit: Dash Attack [Frame 7-13, FAF 43] : Good startup and 7 active frames, but mediocre damage and endlag. Doesn't kill unless it's Sudden Death. Sadly, she's forced to rely on this move against short characters because, unlike her other normals, it has a low hitbox (only other normals that can hit shorties point-blank are dtilt, dsmash, and reverse jab... none of which have any followups). It is not fantastic by any means, but it does the job and gives her the grounded hitbox that she desperately needs.

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace

https://youtu.be/dIdGiHzIN8o

Check out how well it's used in this set. I'm not sure where I'd rank it personally (I want to say C), but it's not a bad move at all by any means. It's also high risk/high reward. Doesn't make it poor.
I take back what I said about it being one of the worst in the game, a kill confirm at ~100 honestly makes it one of the better dash attacks in the game

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Ah, nobody said true combo. For Nair to Dash attack, they need to miss their tech. And assuming they don't input a tech roll on accident, they get a big punish opportunity on Link.

But I second not putting Link in F because none of these Dash attacks seem so overwhelmingly bad that they deserve a special, bottom placement. I get that there are moves that don't get use like Bayonetta's, but that's not a basis for how they compare amongst others. And if anybody deserves F it's Marth/Lucina

D tier could use some cleaning up though. :4rob: should be B, if not C. Startup and endlag are both above average in speed. At low to mid percent, landing a close dash attack true combos into an Utilt string, which combos further into Uair. It's definitely held back by pushing ROB too far after the hit, and him being too fat to cross up anybody's shield. :4lucario:'s is also good because it's one of his faster moves yet not pitifully low reward as jab, Utilt, or Dtilt. Endlag is average and the move has 9 active hit frames. At max aura, it boasts just over as much horizontal killing power as Ike's sweetspotted dash attack - 90% at the ledge. At 100% damage worth of aura, it's more like 130-140%. So it can work in a pinch, and this guy is begging for fast kill moves. I think Lucario's is a C at least. :4zelda: is another good one. Great startup, okay endlag, and the knockback is excellent. Assuming you land the sweetspot in the center of the move, it kills at the ledge at 95%. :4falco: isn't bad either. 11 active hit frames, though the late hit's low angle kills the potential for Samus/Ganon style followups. At low to mid percent, I know late dash attack set's up perfectly for a laser lock where they land, allowing for another dash attack or Usmash. But you need a wide stage like FD for this to reasonably happen. And I think the early hit combos into Utilt at 0%, but only against non floaties. I assume it continues to set up 50/50s and juggle scenarios past this point.

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
Final update for Dash-Attack:

Tl:DR:
:4falcon:
S -> A
:4jigglypuff:C -> A
:4littlemac:B -> A
:4bowser:B -> A
:4myfriends:A -> B
:4mario::4drmario: C -> B
:4yoshi: C -> B
:4pikachu: C -> B
:4rob: D -> C
:4falco: D -> C
:4zelda: D -> C
:4lucario: D -> C
:4lucina::4marth: C -> D

Ok now we will be moving onto discussion on Up-Throws. A preliminary list will come up the next day.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Is there a reason we went from dash attack to throws instead of smashes? Smashes would've made more sense imo, but whatever

Both Zelda and Bayonetta's uthrows are pretty unremarkable. They really are only used for positioning, but Zelda would be better off using dthrow, and Bayo would probably want to use either fthrow for the damage/kill potential or bthrow if she doesn't want to stale fthrow. I'm not a fan of either throws and don't use them often. I'm not sure what I'd rank them, but it'd probably be mediocre/slightly below average depending on how the other throws end up getting ranked.

D

Deleted member

:4diddy:up throw is absolutely bonkers. It's fast, combos into all his aerials (dair at late percents can lead into neat stuff, bair chains as well) and is basically one of his bread-and-butter moves.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike's Uthrow is combo for days. Combo into every aerial at some point, combo into Fair at kill percents by the edge, difficult to avoid Uair set up at kill percent that can be mixed up with Nair for kills from platforms/lower ceiling stages.

Its pretty much the primary reason he can get get work done really. If your shielding gets predictable you're going to get punished hard.

Marth and Lucina's are okay kill throws. Which is more than you can say about a number of Uthrows that aren't combo machines.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Is that a mistake putting Bowser's dash in A tier above DK's?

Anyways, I think we should have a list of all true combos and 50/50s that come from uthrows

And I have a question, are we factoring the characters' grab as well, or is that going to be rated in a different round?

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Regarding Dash attacks, I don't see why :4bowser:was moved up to A. Only one person commented on it after the first draft, and they suggested a move down. I personally think he just barely makes B because while it's fantastic at covering landings, it's high endlag makes it bad for anything else.

But on to Uthrows:

:4bowser:is the lone S tier Uthrow. Assuming of course you consider Donkey Kong's cargo Uthrow as his Uthrow, which is a bit of a technicality when Cargo throws are initiated by his Fthrow. But if you did, then it's DK and Bowser because they're extremely similar in practice. Bowser's Uthrow deals a guaranteed 15-30% damage with Utilt and aerials that the victim really can't DI. There's also Uthrow to Fair to regrab exclusively on fast fallers and heavy weights at low percent (it's a 50/50 for everybody else depending on whether they mash air dodge, but they often get grabbed anyway due to suffering air dodge landing lag). A successful regrab bumps the damage total to 49%. Uair becomes a kill confirm beginning at ~70-100% depending on weight class and falling statistics. The % range at which Uair is guaranteed varies by character. It's only a 15% window for floaties like Olimar, but a 30-35% window for fast fallers like Sheik and Falcon. Uthrow scales a lot with rage, so kills at 60 are not unheard of. DI can effect ranges as well, but to a low extent. DI can't be counted on to allow the victim to escape the Uair altogether. Uthrow to Usmash is another mixup that beats fast aerials (Usmash is invincible), and there's Uthrow to Dair which isn't ever a true combo to my knowledge, but great if you've grabbed somebody at a ledge for an early dunk kill. There are also some expiremental followups, like Uthrow to Bair, and Uthrow to reverse Fair into Bair. The former takes a ton of practice and normally just results in setting up an edgeguard. The latter absolutely results in a kill, but depends on flawless execution and DI toward Bowser. Finally, there's a collateral hitbox on Bowser's body that launches targets far at a low angle that they can't recover from. But it only happens in doubles, or for instant killing a nearby Luma when fighting Rosalina.

High damage combos, reliable kill confirms, great mixup opportunities. No Uthrow has it all in one package like Bowser.

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Ah, nobody said true combo. For Nair to Dash attack, they need to miss their tech. And assuming they don't input a tech roll on accident, they get a big punish opportunity on Link.
To be fair, they could get the untechable spin.

:rosalina: has an great Uthrow. It does have a 50-50 at higher % where if they do anything but jump out, it's death by U-air and if they jump it creates a juggle situation. Additionally, at low % it can combo into Rapid Jab against fast fallers for a 32+% combo, or a Fsmash read against any character. I'd say B at lowest.

:4link: has a decent Uthrow. With Bombs (one of the best projectiles in the game) anything is a combo if you're creative enough and it's a stock cap at about 160. I'd give it C. It's not completely useless, but it's not great either.

:4corrinf: is in the same boat as link. Reliable stock cap, but can't really do anything else except Maybe an uair at low %. I'd also give it C.

:4mewtwo: is S for sure. Same with :4lucas: and :4charizard:.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
To be fair, they could get the untechable spin.

:rosalina: has an great Uthrow. It does have a 50-50 at higher % where if they do anything but jump out, it's death by U-air and if they jump it creates a juggle situation. Additionally, at low % it can combo into Rapid Jab against fast fallers for a 32+% combo, or a Fsmash read against any character. I'd say B at lowest.

:4link: has a decent Uthrow. With Bombs (one of the best projectiles in the game) anything is a combo if you're creative enough and it's a stock cap at about 160. I'd give it C. It's not completely useless, but it's not great either.

:4corrinf: is in the same boat as link. Reliable stock cap, but can't really do anything else except Maybe an uair at low %. I'd also give it C.

:4mewtwo: is S for sure. Same with :4lucas: and :4charizard:.
Corrin's kills only slightly later than Lucas's. Any UThrow that can take a stock around 150-160% with minimal rage deserves no less than B tier IMO. I mean, if you're going to place Lucas and Mewtwo in S just for KOing Corrin's has no business being in C, especially since it has splash damage.

Other UThrows worth noting are :4greninja::4kirby::4lucario::4olimar::4rob:, with Greninja's and Lucario's pulling double duty as combo throws and stock caps. :4cloud::4drmario::4falco::4metaknight::4pikachu::4ryu::4wiifit: also have a few nice things about their UThrows, though Ryu and Meta Knight have theirs mostly restricted to either killing Luna/Pikmin or in teams, and Wii Fit Trainer needs Deep Breathing on board.

It's also worth noting that a fair number of characters (like :4falcon::4darkpit::4luigi::4palutena::4pit::4tlink:) have better kill throws but their UThrows aren't too far behind which can make them better with certain positioning.

:4gaw: UThrow is okay. You can get UThrow to Fire at low percents before DThrow stuff is guaranteed. B or C tier.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Uthrows that kill outright. Training mode, Mario on FD, set to control for no DI. Keeping it to 175% and under as "reasonable percents".
:4charizard:125
:4mewtwo:133
:4lucas:144
:4olimar:147(blue pikmin only)
:4kirby:148
:4corrinf:151
:4rob:154
:4link:164
:4greninja:164
:4marth:167
:4lucina:168 (lucina is shorter)
:4metaknight:172
:4feroy:173
:4falco:173 (but with possible variation due to victim's specific body position before the laser reaches them)

Uthrows that kill sooner with the aid of a platform above where they landed their grab. Mario on Battlefield top platform, no DI
:4charizard:105
:4kirby:124
:4metaknight:146

Edit: Missed Greninja

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Robins Uthrow has good damage, but you don't really have any reason to use it unless you're at the % where nothing combos out of Dthrow and Bthrow doesn't kill. C-D tier.

Myollnir

Smash Ace
:4mewtwo:'s U-Throw is less impacted by DI than :4charizard:'s. Both are S tier though, platforms helps a lot for the latter. :4bowser: is S as well.

:4kirby: is A tier, it's pretty good, but not as good as the characters above.

:rosalina:is probably B, decent combo potential, only 7% damage though.

:4littlemac:is bad. D or worse.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
My A tier picks are:

:4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucas::4kirby::Kill early and often. Kirby and Charizard's become even more threatening with the aid of platforms, ideally those of Battlefield and Dreamland that cover most of the stage's surface area. The throws are also great for damage at 10-12% should you attempt them too early to kill.

:4myfriends:Uthrow to Fair is a reliable 20% until high percents. Has seemingly reliable kills against fast fallers with Fair and Uair, though I hesitate to guess how much DI allows them to escape. Uair swings behind Ike first, so it may fail against DI away even when Ike is jumping forward. And Fair looks to have a similar problem if they DI toward. Plus there's hitstun cancelling

:4sonic:Uthrow to spring to Uair is regular kill setup (usually a 50/50, but some factors can make it a true combo I'd imagine). Has some combo potential of its own at low percents where spring would take you too high.

:4diddy:Consistent 11-15% combos that can even connect at high percents. Doesn't' accomplish much that Dthrow can't, however. You can't do Uthrow to double Bair at low % unless they DI behind you, but you do have Dair as a (not a real combo ever to my knowledge) mixup on Uthrow which can lead into nastier stuff after the rebound. Critically lacks potential to kill against opponents aware of airdodging to cancel hitstun.

:4gaw:Sort of a companion to Dthrow, Uthrow only combos with the aid of Fire into aerials. I'm no expert, but the way I understand it, G&W suffers from bad followup options from Dthrow at low percent, and these are the percents where you can get a good Uthrow to Fire to Fair 25% damage combo. Is weight dependent like all his throws, so he can come up short against heavyweight opponents.

:4pikachu: Only for Uthrow to Thunder. It's highly susceptible to DI, but Pika mains train exclusively to follow and position thunder accordingly for a 24% damage combo or a kill. Pika's Uthrow lacks any other combo potential before those high percents however. Even if you do connect an Uair, that's just tacking on an added 4% damage.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
It'd be hard to rate tiers for grab alone. Plus there's standing dash & pivot grab so it's kinda weird but I'm not against that. Also why are throws being discussed before smash attacks?

:4shulk: Uthrow is mixed. It's a laggy throw that acts on frame 48 which is bad, right? But the throw still does what is needed & that is to force the opponent's airdodge or doublejump to be expended. If you try to land against Speed Shulk walking around & using his godly anti-air Utilt, then good freakin' luck. But no more talk about arts, Uthrow can true combo into Air Slash when reading DI correctly, can 50/50 with Uair to create Monado Purge, & like I mentioned earlier about expending a doublejump forcibly. The only problems with Shulk Uthrow is that A). It's laggy B). There's a hitlag modifier that makes it linger even further when it doesn't need to & C). The move is a heavy 50/50 throw without very many true followups. To Shulk it would be a C-tier throw if not B-tier due to Purge hurting a lot & Air Slash for ~18% guaranteed damage when read properly. In a vacuum however, it's not that great so I'd give it a D or C rank.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
It's somewhat weird to rate throws without taking into account how good the grab is. Take Pac-Man for instance. Pac-Man has one of the worst (if not the worst) grabs in the game, with horrible end lag. Even if his throws had some decent follow ups they wouldn't get used much, due to the grab being so bad. Should we take this into account? If Pac-Man had Mewtwo's up-throw, would it still be S tier?

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
So i'll elaborate a bit on :4charizard:'s u-throw.

When people talk about his u-throw they usually forget to mention that it is not only a kill throw but also a combo throw.

At low to mid percents you can get a fair after an uthrow for a 23%-24% combo, if you are near the ledge this can lead into zard edgeguarding the opponent.
At around 30% zard can combo u-throw into flareblitz on most of the cast provided they do not di either up an away or down towards zard. U-throw flareblitz works better on fastfallers and fatties and can kill light characters like sheik at the edge frightengly early, of course since u-throw flareblitz can be Di'd it is extremely risky to do at the ledge. U-throw flareblitz does 30%
Zard can also get a fly out of u-throw provided the opponent di'd towards him. U-throw fly does 28%.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I would say Bowser, Mewtwo, and Charizard belong in S. I would normally say that Charizard's would belong in A due to DI destroying it, but the follow ups at early percents put it in S for me.

I think Kirby, Lucas, Sonic, Diddy, and Pikachu belong in A for reasons already stated above. Kirby could potentially be S tier, but I'm not certain about that. A likely fits him better.

DK's cargo throw is his forward throw, so I don't think this should count for up throw. His actual up throw probably belongs in D. There's almost never any reason to use it except for juggle situations, but it's almost always more optimal to use cargo up throw instead.

I think we should rate character grabs separately.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Pit's throws overall are really good, but separately they're nothing special. Uthrow's okay by itself. B tier, maybe A tier depending on how many end up there.

Most notable aspect is the damage, 11%, which is really good for a swordie throw and still respectable for most characters. Besides when Dthrow combos stop working it's not that useful... It has ultra low % combos, like into Usmash, though his other throws are generally better at it. lol every throw is a combo throw And it will kill eventually, but again it's significantly outclassed by Fthrow. Kills decently on platforms though. And of course being Pit, he can follow-up with a barrage of arrows as they fall back down before punishing them for attempting to land, so technically it leads to a lot of damage though nothing's true past like 6%.

Galaxeon

Smash Cadet
:4greninja: is at least B. I'd argue for A. It kills (don't undestand why it didn't make the list above because it's about the same as Marth so around 170 at point blank, around 135 with rage, top 10 in the game). It's one of the only throws/up-throws in the game that can pretend to be both a combo and a kill throw. Great angle for aerials or kills. Easy Uair follow-ups at a pretty large window (20-80 depending on the opponent's weight and fall speed and stuff) before it becomes a mix-up. Deadly 50/50 (although I don't find this consistent but since it becomes a kill throw doesn't really matter), extremly good follow-ups after an airdodge read (Uair spike leading to footstool or Dsmash or Utilt for a kill...).
Only flaw is that it only deals 5%. So usually 4% because staling. Otherwise pretty great throw. Definetly better than Pikachu's for example.

:4bayonetta2:is really not that bad and pretty decent. Can combo into Uspecial or Uair, or worse if the opponent airdodge (I believe this is not escapable at low percents) into Bayo's flashy combos for a nice 20-30% total or more. It's also very quick, meaning if the opponent expects a Fthrow near the ledge and DI in at high percents, the Uthrow puts them right above Bayonetta for a guaranteed Uair. Definetly has its uses, although can't be considered as good as other combo throws. C-tier I'd say.

:4zss:is bad. D tier not above. No combo potential at all, doesn't kill until like 200%+ percents on floaties and even then its angle isn't even that good making DI really effective. 10% damage is cool but ZSS can get so much with any other throw (combos or positionning). ZSS' worst throw without a doubt.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't know if I'd put Pika's in A if it only has the "very much a maybe 33/33/33 DI read combo into Thunder at high percents" for its combo potential. If it lands its great ya, but that's hardly consistent and it doesn't do much at the start of each stock.

Zapp Branniglenn Zapp Branniglenn If they try to DI for one of Ike's options, they are hitable by another one. So its a constant mixup game, though Fair is a true combo the longest, including at flat out kill percents or next to impossible to get back from percents at the ledge. Like Fox gets kinda wrecked by it, and its the main reason why the MU isn't worse. Think pretty much every character is in the danger range at least during the true combo %s for Fair. And then for Uair it depends on the character/stage/position on the stage if its going to true combo into a kill or not. Same with Nair.

Also even if they airdodge the Uair, if they airdodged the initial back hit they can get hit by the second back hit as long as Ike is able to keep the move on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom