• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Range buffs baby!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

We Lanky Kong now. :cool:

Seriously though, I love how they gave Diddy more range on his attacks. Outside of glide tossing bananas, Diddy had no real safe ground approaches outside of the Combo Cartwheel. This will definitely help him stay a dangerous fighter even if banana gimmicks are less effective in this game.

I was of the opinion Diddy never needed nerfs, cause he was mainly so good in Brawl cause of Brawl´s gimmicks. In Project M for example, Diddy didn´t do too well till the most recent release, and that´s cause they nerfed him. Diddy´s matchups where quite even all around in Brawl, he doesn´t beat any character badly (from those we can take seriously), but he doesn´t exactly lose to any either. Diddy was the kind of character that beats Pikachu and King Dedede, but goes even against Mario and Ike. Am hoping this stays the same, as Diddy was a real unique character in this regard, and a blast to play because of it!

Hoping for Forward Smash range buffs to! :awesome:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Forward Smash and Up Smash needs the range buff too imo, their current range just doesn't make it worth trying to land either of those attacks. It's good to see that they're making him better at actually approaching a non-tripped target, I hope that this plus a combination of Smash 4's gameplay will make Diddy less reliant on tripping his foe with bananas constantly and make him able to approach safely on his own merits, that at least would be a huge step towards making Diddy more fun for me to play.

The Lanky Kong homage is also great, I love it when characters take a little piece of less plausible characters with them to the battlefield.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess approaching safely has been improved to an extent. Diddy will need the buffs if his Banana Peels are going to be useless against his adversary.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Forward Smash and Up Smash needs the range buff too imo, their current range just doesn't make it worth trying to land either of those attacks. It's good to see that they're making him better at actually approaching a non-tripped target, I hope that this plus a combination of Smash 4's gameplay will make Diddy less reliant on tripping his foe with bananas constantly and make him able to approach safely on his own merits, that at least would be a huge step towards making Diddy more fun for me to play.

The Lanky Kong homage is also great, I love it when characters take a little piece of less plausible characters with them to the battlefield.
Up Smash was a great attack, it was awesome using it as a DACUS. Then again, that´s Brawl mechanics specifics I think- not sure if the DACUS will return this time. So if it doesn´t, a range buff would certainly be appriciated. But I think we can expect range buffs all over, after all, Sakurai said he increased Diddy´s flexibility this time around. Which to me hints on more range buffs than the Forward Tilt.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Up Smash was a great attack, it was awesome using it as a DACUS. Then again, that´s Brawl mechanics specifics I think- not sure if the DACUS will return this time. So if it doesn´t, a range buff would certainly be appriciated. But I think we can expect range buffs all over, after all, Sakurai said he increased Diddy´s flexibility this time around. Which to me hints on more range buffs than the Forward Tilt.
Sakurai did say that the engine was built off Brawl's engine. This lead me to believe that Glide Tossing and DACUS will return.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I was never very competitive in Brawl, and wasn't keen on force tripping people repeatedly, so hopefully this buff will apply to all of his attacks and allow for my playstyle to be a lot less punishable. I'm excited, though I love how Little Mac looks, I was kinda disappointed it resulted in no Diddy, but he's here now and he looks as good as ever if not better.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai did say that the engine was built off Brawl's engine. This lead me to believe that Glide Tossing and DACUS will return.
This could be true, but Brawl was also partically built of Melee's engine I believe. This was extremely apperant at the early Brawl demos.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
This could be true, but Brawl was also partically built of Melee's engine I believe. This was extremely apperant at the early Brawl demos.
Partially. SSB4's engine was stated to be brawl's engine cloned, but a few changes here and there, and its faster.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not going to lie, I didn't even take his reveal seriously. All of the possible hype was immediately attenuated when I saw his "pic of the day." MONKEY D. Luffy is confirmed for Smash.

His range buffs will probably enable me to actually play as him more frequently though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not sure why people where so turned off by Diddy's learning curve in Brawl. Sure, he's hard to master but once you get the character, he's amazing. Learning him is extremely rewarding. And honestly, think that learning Diddy was the most fun I had with Brawl. Not to say that Brawl's bad, cause I love playing Diddy in Brawl.

Still, funny how I complained about his Forward Tilt exactly one day before his reveal, and next day it got buffed. Always wanted it replaced with a tail move, cause that would add range. But this will surely work to! Only thing I didn't like about Diddy's moveset was the lack of tail attacks. He took inspiration from DK64, sure, but in that game Diddy attacked a lot with it. Still, love the moveset as it is and looking forward playing as Diddy again.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Diddy was so fun to play as in Brawl. I actually didn't use the bananas as much as I could have, so these range buffs look good to me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same here, I have no worries playing without bananas. And neither would I be upset if it got replaced with something else, but it's back. And am sure gonna use them as long as I have to.

All I hope is that D Air can still kill as well as in Brawl. Gimping with that move was sooo damn satisfying!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I don't get why people were getting mad about the return of banana's, it wasn't like Diddy was broken, unlike Meta Knight. Plus, when I was maining Diddy before I was on Smashboards, I hardly even used them, sure maybe in a match or two, but not often. Oh well, Diddy's looking great, anyways. It seems Sakurai's way of balancing veterans this game is to buff characters more rather than nerf. Which makes sense as nefing destroyed characters like Jigglypuff. Who was once top tier in Melee and bottom in Brawl. We'll see how everything's work together in the final product, I guess.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Range buff his aerials. Bair, Nair and especially Uair could be changed all together.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
B Air is the same, and it's fine as it was. Neutral Air could use more power, as in Project M. U Air indeed could use some more range.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's also nice indeed! Hopefully this means a more safe recovery for Diddy.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'm for these range boosts. If he still has the ability to use two banana peels at once, he may be a little overpowered. But I suppose we'll see.
I don't really care about the competitive smash tiers anyway.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There's no guarantee Diddy will be overpowered at all. Nobody complained about Marth earlier, when they said they buffed his Shield Breaker. Why is everyone complaining about Diddy now? Two bananas don't mean a thing, they can be used against him and glide tossing might be gone. Perhaps he can't even use them OoS anymore. Diddy has some quite apperant weaknesses, being: a fastfaller thus very easy to combo, especially now combos seem to be back. And he has trouble finishing his opponents off. No need to assume he'll be Top Tier again, even though I'd personally have no problems with that. :awesome:

Top Bottom