• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Online is broken

nbick

Smash Rookie
I tried over 40 times over the course of a week to get into brawl and team brawl random events and not once did I actually connect to someone. Spectator mode works fine, but for random opponents play I just go to the practice screen for about 5-10 minutes until it gives me an error and boots me back to the main menu. Does anyone know if Nintendo is going to address this issue, or are they going to let the online broken as is. I know that they are new to online gaming, but they shouldn't have released the game until they fixed the problem.

Anarchist_Chase

Smash Cadet
your signal is probly not strong enough. try moving closer to the router. this happened with me and once i moved to a better signal i could do spectator and brawl. hope this helps.

nbick

Smash Rookie
My wii is only a couple feet from my router. My 360 is a floor below my pc and I have no problems with that. With everyone having similar problems, I think it's nintendo and not the users.

worm

Smash Cadet
I haven't been able to connect for a With Anyone match in several days, and I try a few times a day. You must be right.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I haven't done one random online match, and my Wii is very close to the router! I've done a million With Friends, but I've tried With Anyone so many times. I got a few people ready to battle, and it just gave me a stupid error message! I hate random online even more. >:O

JohnnyLeven

Smash Cadet
I was able to do random matches online for the first few days, but since then I've been getting the same behavior as the nbick. I have a usb broadband adapter so it isn't a connection issue.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
i was able to successfully join a random game today...just one though...i haven't really done much testing other than that due to being busy with schoolwork.

it was laggy as heck, but managed to get through the match with nothing bad happening. seriously though there's gotta be a way on Nintendo's end to boost random match connection quality. my wii is not situated far from the router either...

Mainland

Smash Rookie
THIS IS FROM GAMEFAQS BOARD WRITTEN BY KANEMURA

These tips should help you connect to more people more often, and match you to people with better performance. This should make lag less existant and reduce the amount of time you have to wait to find matches.

A.) Make sure your Wii is getting at least 3 bars from your router. If not, it is too far away, and your connection will suffer noticably. You can gain more bars by readjusting your router's antennae, moving the router/console closer together. Alternatively, connect through the wired connection add-on through your router or directly to your modem.

B.) Make sure your Wii has been port-forwarded or set to DMZ. Your Wii is automatically set to NAT3, meaning you are being blocked from connecting to most other people. Make sure you are set to NAT 1 or 2. This will greatly improve who you are able to connect to.

C.) Make sure that if you are on a wireless network, that too many people aren't using your hotspot. Leechers or even family members connecting on the same spot can greatly decrease connection speed...ESPECIALLY if they are downloading/uploading large amounts.

D.) Change the channel on your router. Sometimes devices on the same frequency can interfere with your signal, which means a degraded quality in speed.

E.) make sure your router has the newest firmware. You can do this by logging into your router.

Below is a walkthrough for creating a static IP address fo your Wii, and forwarding the ports (this sets your Wii to NAT 2, which is ideal).

PORT FORWARDING:

Open your PC's web browser and enter http://192.168.1.1 (linksys) ~OR~ http://192.168.2.1 (belkin) in the address bar. Enter your name/pass for your router. Default is usually blank or admin/admin (this varies by brand). You will now see your router's config page! Linksys, go to advanced, then forwarding. Belkin, go to firewall, then virtual servers.

In the boxes, open the following ports:

TCP:
Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443

UDP:
Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play).

Now, you need to create a static IP.

STATIC IP:

Access your router's settings and find the available range of IP addresses. (This is typically found within the DHCP information.)

When you find this information, select one of the available IP addresses and enter this, along with the Subnet and Gateway addresses, through the manual settings on the Wii (how to).

If you can't find the range of IP Addresses in the router settings, you can usually view them through your computer's IP configuration settings (see "View Your IP Configuration Settings" section below). Add "10" to the number in the last slot and enter the IP address in the manual settings of the Wii.

You will then need to enter the DNS server information of your computer into the Wii as well. To do this you will need to determine your IP configuration settings (see "View Your IP Configuration Settings" section below). This will give you the basic information for all network devices installed on the PC. Included in this will be the DNS Servers information you will need to enter through the manual settings on the Wii. If only a primary DNS is listed, use that number in both the primary and secondary slots of the Wii's system settings.
Restart the Wii.

To View Your IP Configuration Settings:

Click the "Start" button in the lower left-hand corner of your computer.
Click "Run."
Type "cmd" into the box and press Enter.
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press Enter.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your Wii is now set to NAT 2!

The following are my sources:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessRouterTroubleshooting.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineFirewall.jsp
http://portforward.com/guides.htm

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the original thread on GameFAQs.

Good luck, and see you all online!

Grachi

Smash Rookie
the problem with that is 95% of other Wii users aren't going to bother researching or know how to forward their ports, which means you'll be fine and dandy to join games, but if everyone else isn't doing the same, then it's pointless... It's actually better to just leave the settings as are, cause I guarantee that's what the majority of players have.

I also have this problem, but no problems when I play with friends online. when i play with friends online it's as quick and lag-less as if they were sitting next to me.

edit: and my router is situated about 10 yards diagonally down from my Wii... meaning it's in the basement right below the Wii hehe

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Interesting. I can get into "With Anyone" matches just fine. However, the matches usually have a 100% chance of being laggy.

Zixion

Smash Cadet
This is also happening to me, and my wii is really close to the router. Maybe because there are too many people online?
I have a modded spanish wii and downloaded american brawl, I thought it was my problem only.

But still, there are lots of people when i use the spectator mode, so why do they can? :/

BTW, sorry for my bad english haha...

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
I am Blizzard138 and I approve of this message.

This is also happening to me, and my wii is really close to the router. Maybe because there are too many people online?
I have a modded spanish wii and downloaded american brawl, I thought it was my problem only.

But still, there are lots of people when i use the spectator mode, so why do they can? :/

BTW, sorry for my bad english haha...
"So why do they can?" Lol just playin with you man. But it happens to me to. There is ALWAYS a spectator match I can watch but never can get into one

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It only works at like 12 midnight for me, and I've only played 5 full games (won 3; all 4 way ffas! :)), and about 18 partial games. It is laggy as f***, and Nintendo of America f***ed up about as bad as you can f*** up. No one has ever had any issues like that with Xbox Live, or at leaset not on this scale. >_>

With Friends is fine, yet laggy. Nintendo jsut f***ing sucks with online. They win the award of "worst online interface", hands down. Seriously, Brawl's With Anyone is about as glichy as Superman 64. And that's the truth. NOA is a FAILURE for that alone!

Top Bottom