• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Random Luigi Thread - Zenith, EVO Coming Up!

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys do against shffling falcos (especially vs. dair)? WD--->utilt? WD---->usmash? Stay the **** away? Or something else I'm too much of a noob to have tried.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys do against shffling falcos (especially vs. dair)? WD--->utilt? WD---->usmash? Stay the **** away? Or something else I'm too much of a noob to have tried.
I pretty much use rolls and platforms to stay the **** away and avoid lasers. With careful spacing you should get some openings for grab / dsmash / utilt / usmash. After that I try to go balls out for the tech chase and hope to kill right there. Falco's really easy to edgeguard.

Seartu

Smash Journeyman
I pretty much use rolls and platforms to stay the **** away and avoid lasers. With careful spacing you should get some openings for grab / dsmash / utilt / usmash. After that I try to go balls out for the tech chase and hope to kill right there. Falco's really easy to edgeguard.
My roommate is a falco main. I definitely agree on the edgegaurd, there is nowhere that falco can be off the edge where he can come back but I can't stomp him first, it's beautiful. Techchasing is also really fun, I've only recently started to really get a feel for it.

It's finding those openings that is tough. But I guess it's all patience, one of my weaknesses...

Also, does anyone else use d-throw----> down-b on fastfallers? It usually not as optimal as up-throw shenanigans but I like throwing it in at low percents as a mix-up. If they aren't expecting it, it can work pretty well. At least at my mid-level play it can.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
It's finding those openings that is tough. But I guess it's all patience, one of my weaknesses...
The specific openings will change depending on who you play, but I guess some are pretty universal.

I've been Hbox's falco guinea pig for the last 2 months, he really doesn't leave many openings but when he does its usually

a missed L-cancel or early Dair, this gives you a chance for a shieldgrab, but its hard to spot.

he drops from platform or bum rushes with a dair/nair, I like to wavedash back as he approaches, but not a full wavedash, so as soon as he misses I can dsmash or grab.

Zoning/spacing with dair is really good.

U-air when he dairs into platforms, this can lead to some follow ups, but most of the time it just tacks on damage.

Timing Usmash for invincible head is apparently really good but I haven't really gotten the timing down.

Techchasing is really important in this matchup, once you get the upper hand you really have to milk it since Luigi is awful in the neutral game against falco.

Unfortunately, the shine comes out super fast, so what looks like an opening sometimes just results in a shine to the face.

Max?

Smash Champion
Yo Vudu. I've been watching your sets from BH2. ****ing dirty man, good stuff. The only thing I'll comment on is I feel you should grab more. You have so many situations where you scare people into shielding and you attack them and get nothing for it. Just my .02 tho.

I've been playing a **** load of Luigi recently, dude is so fun. If you're going to ROM we absolutely have to play

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Ka showed up at our latest monthly couple days ago and took 3rd behind bladewise and silentwolf, and took both of them to game 5

... mind you Ka has been in nicaragua for the last two years which is why he fell off the scene. But he's back.
HYPE 10hype

Vudujin

Smash Lord
No fears my friend. I'm quickly working more of them into my game. I may look aggressive onscreen, but I'm a defensive player at heart. I've been using Falco to put some aggro in my style. That character just doesn't give a hoot.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Great placings for Luigi this weekend.
Props Abate, can't wait to watch videos!

Why weren't you Pittsburgh tourney Vudu? :(

:phone:

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
Great placings for Luigi this weekend.
Props Abate, can't wait to watch videos!

Yes, with the resurrection of ka-master and eddy Mexico Gettin 9th in Cali, I found myself drawn back to the zangief of melee. I'm dying to see some recent vids, long live the slippery little grappler.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I had to work the whole day.

I'm going to ROM this weekend, so I'll be sure to get plenty of matches recorded.

There's also a tourney in Texas the following weekend I'll be going to.

ABATE DID SOOOO GOOOD!!!! I got to see his whole set with M2K, and he was just doing everything frame perfect. He also said he got all of his matches recorded. Every video will have something useful to take away from.

Vist

Smash Champion
good stuff guys :)

I've been really busy these days but there's a chance I may be going to RoM and throwing down for some Luigi action

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
So I got bored with falco the other day and picked up luigi. Turns out I love the green guy.

I have a couple questions I was hoping to get answered.

1. How do you space dair correctly for the meteor smash? I'd really like to get consistent with this one. In the guide it says something about hitting from the hip of the hitbox... I tried hitting my opponent higher, where I felt the hitbox began and doesn't seem to work. Am I going about this wrong? I mostly just randomly get the meteor smash if it does connect.

2. The tornado thingy? How do I correctly use down B to help my comeback? Right now I'm at 50/50 chance of rising while gaining horizontal distance which is exactly what I want, but the other 50% luigi just goes straight down. I would describe my attempts as pressing down b then mashing b as many times as I can while holding right or left. Like i said, it works half the time. This is exactly what I do for Mario and Dr Mario and that always works unless you have already "down b'ed" in that jump.

Vist

Smash Champion
So I got bored with falco the other day and picked up luigi. Turns out I love the green guy.

I have a couple questions I was hoping to get answered.

1. How do you space dair correctly for the meteor smash? I'd really like to get consistent with this one. In the guide it says something about hitting from the hip of the hitbox... I tried hitting my opponent higher, where I felt the hitbox began and doesn't seem to work. Am I going about this wrong? I mostly just randomly get the meteor smash if it does connect.

2. The tornado thingy? How do I correctly use down B to help my comeback? Right now I'm at 50/50 chance of rising while gaining horizontal distance which is exactly what I want, but the other 50% luigi just goes straight down. I would describe my attempts as pressing down b then mashing b as many times as I can while holding right or left. Like i said, it works half the time. This is exactly what I do for Mario and Dr Mario and that always works unless you have already "down b'ed" in that jump.
I believe those 2 things are addressed in this thread.

Cinbad

Smash Cadet
I try not to rely on the dair meteor smash for killing, as luigi defiantly has other moves that can kill much more safely and efficiently. If you really want to save it for a flashy kill, try hitting your opponent with your butt. Since Luigi slightly tilts backwards when he dairs, having your back face your opponent is your best bet for landing the elusive hip hitbox

Recovering with the down-b just comes down to button mashing really. I think you need to press the button around 14 times in on second to achieve maximum height, so it just comes down to practice. I've seen people put the controller on their lap and mash b with their index finger at tourneys. Also remember to "charge" your down-b on the ground before using it to recover, as it only works as a recovery every other time

EDIT: woops, didn't see vist's post. Luigi is a cool character

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
what is the technique called where you drop down from a platform, DJ, and the DJ cancel back onto the plat without going upwards?

ive been practicing this alot, and doing it with aerials

its pretty fun.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack is surprisingly good in the right situation o.O

Like if they are at the edge of a platform or the stage.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
i remember i got a dash attack once, where every single hit was a "reset" and after it ended i simply upb'd for a kill haha.

Vudujin

Smash Lord
I actually think it's an underutilized reset. Your lag ends riiiiiight before they get up, so you can squeeze off a good follow-up. The multi-hit screws up the timing with the buffer rolling too I believe, which usually puts them in the neutral get-up position.

AND!! Thematically speaking, I think it's one of the best he has next to all of his specials.

Edit: Found this gem in my external and couldn't resist posting.

Squirt

Smash Apprentice
I actually think it's an underutilized reset. Your lag ends riiiiiight before they get up, so you can squeeze off a good follow-up. The multi-hit screws up the timing with the buffer rolling too I believe, which usually puts them in the neutral get-up position.

AND!! Thematically speaking, I think it's one of the best he has next to all of his specials.

Edit: Found this gem in my external and couldn't resist posting.

That's pretty awesome. I want to see someone dressed up like captain falcon.

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
I hope you found the gem in their external, if you know what I mean....

I have no idea what I mean
:luigimelee: comes pre-lubricated, wears dainty gloves and is probably competent with modern technology. I bet he can find any gem in any external.

So lately I've found that perfect WL fireball cancels off platforms in PS's neutral stage will put you exactly underneath the opposite platform's edge for another WL fireball platform cancel, leading to a cute little shuffle across stage. you can do this on the smaller stages too for no useful reason, with extra momentum to spare. Did we ever agree on a name for the WL fireball cancels? that **** is too long.

Anyone else workin on trivial luigi tech?
Does everyone else stubbornly ban BF like I do? all the stages are good except BF...

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
we've been having luigis doing good around usa. ka, vist, eddie, abate, vudujin, me, we have to ****ing win apex lmao

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
just saw abate vs m2k my god that guys good. i havent seen the green guy go in so hard in probably forever.. ka-master is close 2nd tho :)

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
So I've been a ganon main for like 5 years and have always flirted with spacies.
But I'm bored of ganon, and spacies are just generic, easy-mode and too broken.

I like the way weeg styles now.

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
So lately I've found that perfect WL fireball cancels off platforms in PS's neutral stage will put you exactly underneath the opposite platform's edge for another WL fireball platform cancel, leading to a cute little shuffle across stage. you can do this on the smaller stages too for no useful reason, with extra momentum to spare. Did we ever agree on a name for the WL fireball cancels? that **** is too long.
From what I gathered it's called the Vudodash

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx

Thoraxe

Smash Apprentice
@ Thoraxe, are you talking about doing figure 8's on platforms?

Once I get a good capture card, I'll make some super Luigi videos.

edit: Is this what you're talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqpIvNQhiR8&feature=player_detailpage#t=131s

I like BF for his recovery. It's a little dark on some tv's, which is my only beef with it.
Yes! Figure 8's is a perfect name for the deed. Instead of full hop fb tho, just a str8 vudodash back across, but yeah so cute and overly flashy, I love em. On a side note, weegee with a beam sword is more broken than a jigglyfox. I will devour good :luigimelee: footage. What benefit does BF's ledge have, it kind of limits low recovery, does it not?

Top Bottom