• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

random directional inversion and input lag

Oddvarr

Smash Rookie
Occasionally when using directional attacks the attack will be executed in the opposite direction as input.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Details son =/

System?
controller state?
build?
mods?
frequency of occurrence?
tested with various controllers?
recreate in various situations?

This is bug reporting, not 'i has a thing go wrong'

Oddvarr

Smash Rookie
Yea, rookie mistake. Wii, full set not WiFi, 3.02, no mods, GameCube sticks, old but still highly responsive. Occurs once in approximately every 15-25 directional inputs (mostly smash attacks and forward B). Tested with all four controllers and used two different ports. Mode, stage, and character inconsequential.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
It's wierd... I have the same problem, but I thought it was because of using a wireless 360 pad with Dolphin version (I have to buy a USB adaptor for GC pads). But I see it could be a common bug, so here I go:

- Dolphin's last version (4.0.2)
- Wireless 360 pad (official Bluetooth adaptor)
- Last version of Project M (3.02) without any other mod attached
- It was the hackless version (Full Set)
- I wouldn't say it is affected by the character or the stage I selected
- The frequency is kind of random... I'd say it happens each two matches
- I thought it was the 360 pad (could be not exactly 'compatible'), but I think it's something else because Oddvarr says it happens with a GC controller in a Wii
- I built Project M in a Brawl ISO to avoid a common sound bug, maybe that gives me this problem

So, Oddvarr, I think it's important if you confirm this:

1) You are using an official, wired GC controller, not a WaveBird or any 3rd party pad
2) You are using original Brawl running on a Wii and just a SD patch to start Project M

Oddvarr

Smash Rookie
Yes, official wired controllers. Also yes simple brawl sd patch. As earlier stated, basic hackless fullset no mods.

Y-L

Smash Champion
It's wierd... I have the same problem, but I thought it was because of using a wireless 360 pad with Dolphin version (I have to buy a USB adaptor for GC pads). But I see it could be a common bug, so here I go:

- Dolphin's last version (4.0.2)
- Wireless 360 pad (official Bluetooth adaptor)
- Last version of Project M (3.02) without any other mod attached
- It was the hackless version (Full Set)
- I wouldn't say it is affected by the character or the stage I selected
- The frequency is kind of random... I'd say it happens each two matches
- I thought it was the 360 pad (could be not exactly 'compatible'), but I think it's something else because Oddvarr says it happens with a GC controller in a Wii
- I built Project M in a Brawl ISO to avoid a common sound bug, maybe that gives me this problem

So, Oddvarr, I think it's important if you confirm this:

1) You are using an official, wired GC controller, not a WaveBird or any 3rd party pad
2) You are using original Brawl running on a Wii and just a SD patch to start Project M
For Dolphin try setting radius on both sticks to 100 and dead zone of 5 on main stick 15 on c stick.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
For Dolphin try setting radius on both sticks to 100 and dead zone of 5 on main stick 15 on c stick.
I think it worked... But I can't tell until I play more hours and see if the problem is solved. Anyway, Oddvarr is playing on a Wii, so he cannot solve this...

Thanks a lot, anyway ;)

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

you have to figure out how to recreate this in a controlled environment. Ie not the middle of a fight where human error could jsut be a thing.

'highly responsive old sticks' could be flickikng past centre, but who knows.

if you can sit for an hour or so, and tilt/smahs each way repetitvely, then it still mucks up it may be a bug.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I've realized this error appears when I'm performing a side attack and there has been a lag. I have a 5 year-old CPU and a wireless controller, so it's logical there are "lag moments". When there is a slow down for a second (because of some animations or background stuff), I think there is a desync between the stick position and the game itself. Apparently, this "bug" is less common since I changed my stick setup (just as Y-L said). I think it may be that... at least in my case. I don't know how this problem can appear in an actual Wii with a wired pad, sorry.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
Hi again.

I've noticed something interesting. Some joysticks are so used that they cannot be always in a dead zone while in a neutral position. I mean, although the C-stick is :GCCN: apparently, it has some inclination that makes Oddvarr's console render it like :GCCDR:. This makes that, when you are making a Smash with :GCA::GCL:, it goes in the other direction because there is a :GCCR: input at the same moment. That could explain why this is a problem in both Wii and Dolphin and why it appears less if you increase dead zones.

Top Bottom