• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Radioshack Composite to HDMI Converter - it works!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I was shocked to see a Radioshack pop up near my house so I went in and found a Composite to HDMI converter. I just hooked it up to my HDTV and it actually works perfectly! No lag, no audio issues, video is as clear as it could be. I've been out of the scene for years, just getting back into it, so I don't know if people have figured out the setup issues yet...I know HDTVs are popular with fighters nowadays so I thought this product needed a mention!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I am sure it has no lag. I've been playing this game on CRTs since Kenan and Kel.

But how can I check? I'd gladly check if I knew how....

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I tested something like this once because the component to HDMI felt a little weird. I had a powered splitter which sent the signal to both a VGA signal converter into a CRT monitor and a component to HDMI converter into a BenQ monitor.

I recorded Game and Watch's jab and it was indeed slower to come up on the gaming monitor. I wanna say it was about a frame of difference but it's hard to tell exactly since I was using footage from my phone's camera.

I find it likely that you're in the same boat, although my box converted the signal to 1080p so if yours keeps it at 480p maybe it's less laggy.

Also if you don't have a fast HDTV/ monitor I wouldn't be surprised if that is packing more than a frame of delay too.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I've got a basic HDTV that I got for like $80 new on a Black Friday. It's never had lag problems and was used in lots of SF4 and Blazblue tournament setups. It's maybe 22-23 inches.

The specs for this converter say: HDMI output resolutions: 480i / 576i

So no 1080p. But no 480p, it's 480i instead. Does this mean I could be lagging? Or does that mean that it's less likely to do so?

Pauer

The Pauerful
Yeah, the fact that the video signal is upscaled to 1080p means that there's certainly lag added.

The average person doesn't feel a delay of up to 30ms and you can get used to even 40-50 rather quickly. A normal hdtv like you have will always have a good amount of input lag, 10-20ms at least. After all, there's a reason why low reaction times are a big marketing point for gaming monitors.
Perhaps your composite adapter is pretty fast at what it does but I would expect an extra 10ms at least.

One way of measuring input delay is the input delay test code. It's included in the latest 20XX version. The accuracy of the result is dependent on your ability to keep a beat so practice on your crt first until you get consistent results. A metronome might help. Then compare your results with the ones you get on your hdtv.

Top Bottom