• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R vs. L

R or L?

• R

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • L

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Depends on the situation

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • I use a different button as my shield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't use the GCC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sealedinterface

Smash Rookie
NNID
einsteinsci
Are you an R or an L kind of person for:
  • Shielding
  • Rolling/Spotdodging/Airdodging
  • Wavedashing/Wavelanding
  • General L-Canceling
  • SHFFL'ing/DJC
  • Grabbing (in combination with A)
I've always used L simply because Brawl was my fist smash game and Z on the Wiimote & Nunchuck is in the same spot as L is on the GCC. I still have a lot of trouble wavedashing to the left because if it, since the control stick is on the left side of the controller, and it's easier to push to the right than pull to the left while pressing L. Then again, I still kinda suck so wavedashing at all is a challenge.

I'm considering switching to R, which I currently have mapped to jump, but found I never use (I stick to Y a lot more than I thought when first getting a GCC).

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
R for everything but L-cancelling (Z). I can never understand how people manage to use L for anything without messing up their control stick precision :/

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
The only time I ever used L for shield and L-Cancelling was when I accidentally played a match with someone's tag, and they play with R as attack for some reason. Abomination.

S_F3

Smash Rookie
I use L for L-cancelling and Wavedash OOS and R for everything else.
The reason is when doing a SHFFL, pressing L for L-cancel balances the pressure put on the controller on both sides, so it feels more stable in the hand. Same for Wavedash OOS.
For everything else, R feels more natural since you can press all needed buttons with just one hand, and adjust direction with the other without having to worry about potentially pressing buttons : both hands have separate tasks.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
L is for Jump

R is for general shielding and rolling and air dodge and techs and certain GTs/AGTs (like throwing forward while gting/agting in a different direction from where you threw it)

A is for L-cancel stuff (SHFFL included), Wavedashing/landing, powershielding, and easier GT/AGT when throwing and GTing/AGTing in the same direction.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I hold the gamecube controller similar to how my dad taught me to hold a guitar(classically trained) as relaxed as possible, literally so that pressing anything takes as little effort as possible, but still able to be very fast, as to minimize fatigue and hand strain.

Essentially the way I hold the controller with my right hand doesn't allow my middle finger to easily press down fully the R stick, while the left hand can easily while the index finger is free whenever I would want to hold the analog with both fingers for precision recoveries.

Imgur

Due to this I pretty much use L- for hard shielding and L--canceling, while I use R for light sheilds. and anything else where I wouldn't want to press fully down on the analog.

Since this is PM though it would be me just using L much more since light and hard sheilding does not exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom