• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B.'s Sort of Weekly Match-Up Discussion Thread - Clean-Up

Sudai

Stuff here
lol.. i'm sorry my good sir.. that's probably a 20 hr drive to my area for you :(

Tell PrinceZane to start holding Innsomnia again, and I promise i'll bring my crew to WestMemphis again <33
Nah, I wasn't saying you should drive down here. I don't expect people to travel to me if I'm not willing to travel to them. : P

'sides, in a little less than a year, I should be good to fly wherever for smash. By that time, maybe I'll have gotten better and actually stand a chance against some of the ROBs here. I have the theory locked down, just not the in-match execution that comes from playing with good people. heh

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
The only reason I'm not putting a numerical value is because I'm not totally sure if that would mean a lot to anyone.

It's like those stupid video game reviews that make it a point to have a difference between 8.9 and 9.0. In the end, you either want to buy the game or not.

I'm not even sure I want to go so far as to add modifiers like "severe" or "minor" since we're not in complete consensus as to how difficult the match-up is. I think all people really have to know is the general gist of that it's going to be uphill against a specific character and the real meat of how the game is going to play out is in the explanations themselves.

But I dunno...that's just my two cents. What does everyone else think?

Also, I have stuff to say on Mario, but I'll do it after I get back from class...I'm already late.

Sudai

Stuff here
fly wherever??? is that a job related perk? *is curious*

.................how many people here actually get to fight good Marios ever? Not because this info won't help, but because I wonder how much people could contribute.
Nah, it's not job related. I have the money to fly everywhere, but I'm currently living at home still. Just graduated high school so I'll be going to college. My mom's a bit over protective, but once I'm in college, I'm free to do whatever. Oh, and yes, it's my money, not my parent's. : ) So yeah, I'll be able to fly places for smash which will make me happy. : )

Edit: As for talks on the Mario match-up, I really don't think there's much to say. He hasn't changed much from game to game. On top of that, it doesn't seem like many people have Mario experience in brawl.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Nah, it's not job related. I have the money to fly everywhere, but I'm currently living at home still. Just graduated high school so I'll be going to college. My mom's a bit over protective, but once I'm in college, I'm free to do whatever. Oh, and yes, it's my money, not my parent's. : ) So yeah, I'll be able to fly places for smash which will make me happy. : )
Come to MD and bring some gumbo and crawfish.

Dragz despite the controversy that may arise from ranking the matchup difficulty, I think it would still be useful to have that quick visual reference of how hard each matchup is. If we can't all agree, at the very least you could just ask some of the top ROBs to vote on it. So far I pretty much agree with all of Chozen's difficulty rankings.

Sudai

Stuff here
Gumbo and Crawfish are only good when they're just coming out of the boil. Transporting them long distances = phail. : P Come here and I'll make sure you can't feel your tongue for a year or two.

Or I could just bring the stuff to make it and hope the seafood retains its freshness for a little while.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
can someone overnight YOU through UPS? my fat self needs to experience true Gumbo [hell I'll be happy with imitation Gumbo since I'm a virgin to even that :(]

also, having a numerical value as a quick reference is useful. I agree with JCaesar on that. It won't make you try harder or anything, but it's good for people who might play someone other than ROB and they're having trouble with ___ and they want to know how well ROB does against ____ before they invest in picking him up as an alt or something. Sometimes simple things as numerical values can greatly influence a person's decision to choose a character.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
All right then, it's settled.

Personally, I mostly agree with Chozen's ratings. I think Metaknight is a 10/10 while Game and Watch is at a 8.5/10 or around there and Mario is around 7/10. I know Chozen thinks that Game and Watch is actually around a 9/10 and Mario is either a 8 or 7. What do you guys think?

Sudai

Stuff here
can someone overnight YOU through UPS? my fat self needs to experience true Gumbo [hell I'll be happy with imitation Gumbo since I'm a virgin to even that :(]
I don't know how well I'd fare tumbling around in a UPS box. lol.

MK - 10/10
GnW - 9/10
Mario - 7/10

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Oright...for now, I'm going to put up MK as 10, GnW as a 9, and Mario as a 7. Agreed? (although I'm not putting Mario up yet because discussion on him has not been finished).

Also, just a small point, does everyone think I'm correct in saying that playing Mario on a platform-heavy stage is a bad idea? I usually get juggled like crazy on Battlefield, but I can keep my distance on Smashville and junk.

Gumbo and Crawfish are only good when they're just coming out of the boil. Transporting them long distances = phail. : P Come here and I'll make sure you can't feel your tongue for a year or two.

Or I could just bring the stuff to make it and hope the seafood retains its freshness for a little while.
One of my lifelong dreams is to come down to Louisiana and have a feast at one of those tables where it's just shrimp, crawfish, crabs, and hot sauce. Sunuva***** that would be amazing.

Sudai

Stuff here
Oright...for now, I'm going to put up MK as 10, GnW as a 9, and Mario as a 7. Agreed? (although I'm not putting Mario up yet because discussion on him has not been finished).

Also, just a small point, does everyone think I'm correct in saying that playing Mario on a platform-heavy stage is a bad idea? I usually get juggled like crazy on Battlefield, but I can keep my distance on Smashville and junk.

One of my lifelong dreams is to come down to Louisiana and have a feast at one of those tables where it's just shrimp, crawfish, crabs, and hot sauce. Sunuva***** that would be amazing.
Welcome to all my holidays + most saturdays. Haha.

I should totally host something like.. "Sudai's Smash + Great Louisiana Seafood Tournament" or something..where like, we feed everyone right before the tournament. And if you don't eat our food before the tournament, you get no seafood from us during your trip. This way all you bastages will be stuffed full of great food and you won't be used to your stomach being so full! Bwahaha.

Oh, and trust me, I don't care how much you eat normally, you will feel so over stuffed. Friend from Chicago came down boasting about how he could eat us out of seafood since he could eat two whole deepdish pizza on his own. He got pwned. Having issues moving after lunch. lmao. I <3 our food.

On topic: I like to take Mario to longer stages, which usually means a lack of platforms, due to the fact that it's easier to camp against him. His fire balls only go about half of FD. Maybe a bit more, but chyeah. Long stages ftw. FD + Lylat + SV.. : D

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Actually the reason you want mario on a stage w/out alot of platforms [ie FD/SmashVille/Yoshi's] is b/c if you are standing on a platform, and Mario throws a fireball at you you're probably going to shield correct?

if you shield it may knock you off that platform.. and that tumbling lag is going to let mario combo you.. also... Falling Nairs are quite decent in this matchup so pesky platforms will get in the way of your killers, and big damage dealers...

Platforms will also f*ck up your gyro, and allow mario to camp you better b/c of gay fireball trajectories...

if that answers your question...

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Fireball approach is a *****..

i want the all powerful Nacker to record those games and then post them so we can compare them to mine after you lose to MY teams partner ;p

boss8

Smash Hero
Meh i find mario easy to play >.> to me he is a 5 maybe a 6 i will prove this today when i play boss chozenone
lol at nacker finding mario to play i took u and yo partner out by myself when korn died **** im amazing....did i mention u were both at 0% and i wuz at like one stock with 0%......

GTFO :laugh:

your gonna need all the mario help u can get.....

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay, well back on track, I think this is one of the few match-ups where you don't necessarily want to challenge the opponent in the air. Your f-air and really well-timed n-airs can keep Mario away, but Mario's juggling ability makes it kinda difficult for R.O.B. to hold his own here. Basically, it depends on who gets the first hit.

An approach from the ground can also be tricky. The cape makes glide-tossing sort of tricky, projectile spamming is tricky, again due to the cape. Just straight-up approach can be good enough, I think. Mario isn't too tricky, he just has a few advantages over R.O.B. that makes R.O.B. have to work a little harder.

What do you guys think?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
2 possible solutions to the glidetoss being caped:
-Throw the gyro in a different direction (probably up or down). This is the safest and easiest solution.
-Glidetoss at him but press A again afterwards. If you time this right, you can recatch the gyro, which tends to be a huge surprise and open up lots of options. It's not that hard, I was doing it the other day pretty consistently.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
One trick I like doing against a cape happy Mario trying to stop a glide tossed Gyro from R.O.B. is to do it backwards. What will happen is that R.O.B. will dash towards Mario but throw the Gyro in the opposite direction then Mario will use cape which will turn R.O.B. right back in front of him. From there you can do anything you would normally do in an up close situation. Obviously this has some risks but if the Mario is predictable then this could be a solid tactic.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
If you stay in Mario's Face its pretty hard for him to camp you.. if you just space Fairs/Bairs they'll eat the fireballs... you just have to stay far enough away that you can see them coming..

Don't let Mario approach you in this matchup.. YOU have to stay in control the entire time.. and stay infront of him.. and DO NOT land on platforms. >_> fireballs will knock you off, and when you land he can punish you badly... /sadface

As for glidetossing.. its quite good to close the gap, and following w/ a sliding Dmash is quite nasty i dare say.. this match is really just keeping his back to the edge whilst you attempt to stop him from camping.

toasty

Smash Hero
I'm not a fan of the whole/large chunk jalapenos, unfortunately >_>

Chozen: when you get knocked off the platform by Mario's fireball, can you immediately jump instead of falling onto the ground only to get comboed/*****?

ALSO: everyone...watch the news today. It is an historical event. You'll wanna be able to remember today, especially Obama's speech..............at least watch it. Thanks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Meh i find mario easy to play >.> to me he is a 5 maybe a 6 i will prove this today when i play boss chozenone
I also find Mario easy to play. All of his attacks are easily powershielded... I played Kel's mario for a bit, and my general strategy was run forward, powershield fireball, run forward, powershield fireball, run forward, powershield attack, hit. The timing is the exact same for all of his moves.

He also is incredibly easy to edgeguard.

That said, gimp kills from mario's up+b were pretty sickening.

boss8

Smash Hero
I also find Mario easy to play. All of his attacks are easily powershielded... I played Kel's mario for a bit, and my general strategy was run forward, powershield fireball, run forward, powershield fireball, run forward, powershield attack, hit. The timing is the exact same for all of his moves.

He also is incredibly easy to edgeguard.

That said, gimp kills from mario's up+b were pretty sickening.
money match???? $10???

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay, I won't be able to update the OP until Friday. It's the end of the quarter and I have a swampload of work to do.

I will update on Friday though. In the meantime, what should the next character be?

Ishoku

Smash Apprentice
another character i really hate playing is Diddy, but its because of those naners, i can handle everything diddy does except for those darn nanners >.>

I guess we should tackle the big 3?
we got MK and GaW, how about Zelda?

though its all ftilt anyway... >.>

toasty

Smash Hero
Falco plz :)

as for the bananas...just dash attack over them and use them to your advantage :) if there's more than one available to pick up, pick one up, and either throw it or drop it IMMEDIATELY and then grab the other one if it's close by and hold on until a good glide toss opportunity comes along or you find good placement for it

Top Bottom