• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #32 - Falco

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ugh.....
It might just be me, but I absolutely hate playing this matchup. Falco can laser camp us a whole lot, and our projectiles just aren't fast enough to punish him from a distance like we can with Fox, so we just have to kind of sit in shield and inch forward between laser blasts. For some reason, his aerials always seems to break through/trade with ours and he can juggle us super easily, so I think he definitely beats us in the air as well. It's hardly unwinnable for us, but we have to be super patient and play the conservative game with our projectiles since he does have a reflector and can easily out-camp us. His fast falling speed does let us juggle him pretty easily and maybe get some early kills with D-throw setups, and stages with platforms can help us get in his face, which is something we pretty much have to do in this MU. Just don't get caught in his jab combo... Again, it might just be my experience (or lack thereof) with the matchup, but I feel like this one sits around 40:60 Falco's favor, just slightly worse than Fox.

Last edited:

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
I concur. Falco is annoying on the ground with lasers & Reflector, and is annoying in the air with his long lasting multi hit aerials to (trump ROB's). Falco is weirdly good off stage and tough to gimp.
There isn't too many local Falcos (much more Fox mains in my scene), but from what I have played, it's a little rough for ROB. Projectile traps, spacing, and footsies, while ROB's forte, still doesn't let him get around Falco's solid defensive game/ air play

1FC0

Smash Lord
If you throw the Gyro at him and he reflects it you can often catch it with SH->Air Dodge which is pretty fun.
Also Falco has been buffed and is pretty good at gimping now.

Last edited:

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
Awesome the Falco discussion has started.

R.O.B loses this one sadly, this might be one of Falco's best match-ups.

While its common fact falcos laser's are not as good as they used to be, they still beat out both the Robo beam and the gyro, completely stopping the latter on contact, and when we take Falcos reflector into a account, our best option is to get close.

Here we have our second problem, Falco beats us in close combat as well, he hits harder, faster and has better options in the air, and with a grab game as good (maybe) as ours we don't have much going for us (other than a small range advantage).

The falco boards rated this +2 for Falco and that was pre patch.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
It is definately a poor MU for us, but 30/70 is a little bit high. Remember that 30/70 is the same as somebody like Sheik or Pika, and worse than Villager. I'm not saying it's in our favour, but I don't think falco can exactly shut us down in the same way that those three can. Plus, quite a fewof our moves outspeed his, and our nair is a disjoint while Falco has none. It's not as bad as the main thread says, probably closer to 60:40.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'm with Lizard_Buttock, no way is it a Sheik tier MU. The big thing is Falco eats through our aerials, but his grounded moveset is lack luster. We just have to stay on the ground, which is kind of uncomfortable for us. His reflector is actually decent, but it won't remove our ability to projectile camp entirely.

FalconXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
ItalianFalcon
I'm with Lizard_Buttock, no way is it a Sheik tier MU. The big thing is Falco eats through our aerials, but his grounded moveset is lack luster. We just have to stay on the ground, which is kind of uncomfortable for us. His reflector is actually decent, but it won't remove our ability to projectile camp entirely.
Yeah I agree with this, and also to add on to it, Falco throwing his reflector out makes it possible to still hit him with projectiles as long as we hit him from above unlike somebody like Fox whose reflector will always reflect it back. This is a bad MU for ROB, but I feel like it should be 40:60 or 45:55. He is nowhere near ROB's worst match-up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom