• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. Matchup Analysis #12 - Fox

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Jab jab, jab jab, jab jab: if Fox get in rob eats a lot of damage.
Fox is both unsafe and light, with crappy recovery. He's fast but not so much: camp and punish.
And go offstage to make him airdodge, usually they die because of this.
6-4 rob but better learn to tech because our recovery need this.

Funny thing, at the beginning i wanted to put 6-4 Fox, but then i remember how early we kill him and how late we can Dthrow Uair because lol fast faller, lol poor horizontal air speed, and Dair aka i'm just asking to be grabed.

Gotmilk0112

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Fox is another character I really struggle against...combos, combos everywhere, OP reflector which has questionable ending frames, annoying guaranteed combos, etc. etc.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I hate this match-up. He has a fast, easy way of pressuring us, is good up-close and is armed with a reflector. What could be worse?

60:40 Fox, if not more.

:231:

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I've only fought one fox, but he didn't really know the match up well.

All I can say about this MU is that he's easy to gimp/WoP.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I've played this MU a good handful of times but only in tournament. And it's by a top placing Fox in Michigan. So I've had to learn on the fly.
A few notes:
-When you're at kill % shield is your safe place. Don't just sit in it, but don't be too afraid of getting grabbed. All that will come out of it is damage, unless you have trouble landing vs him. I suggest learning how to b-reverse gyro cancel if you haven't mastered that already (you def should).
-Most of Fox's kill attempts are overcommitting. So if you do shield one of his overcommitting options, learn how much of a window you have to punish, and plan out how you will punish him.
-When in the jab combo, keep smashing both sticks up, and when high enough, begin to up b away. If the fox doesn't catch on, you will get out. He might get in an up air. He will get a up smash if he's mindful of it. But at least this ends the pain a lot sooner. Don't let him jab combo you where you'll be potentially combo you all across the stage. Be very mindful of your positioning for that.
-I generally love battlefield, but I do not enjoy the up air opportunities it grants fox.
-When fox is up b'ing from below the stage, be mindful as to whether he has a habit of up b'ing straight up towards the ledge, or does he up b into the stage at a slant and ride up it some? React to both. If he's up b's straight up, just spike him. If he up b's into the stage, the spike timing is a little tricky. you might be better off with a turn around gyro towards the stage or a well timed bair. Just find your niche in that situation and dominate with it.

I think if you're mindful of how hard it can be for fox to kill if played correctly, I don't think it's too bad for rob. maybe even MU. But I don't see it worse than 45:55 atm.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
Do not reflect Fox's laser because that is really ineffective.

Lizard_Buttock

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1925-1807
Do not reflect Fox's laser because that is really ineffective.
Fox's laser is easy bait for characters with reflectors or absorbers. I generally either ignore it or do a shorthop + air dodge approach.
Fox is a generally fast character, which can prove quite problematic for us. I'd say it's best to play defensive here, but his reflector can punish that easily. Try to bait him offstage or use an u-throw or a u-air to get a nice early kill, and learn when the best situations to use gyros are rather than spamming them constantly, or else he'll reflect them.
Might be entirely wrong though. Haven't had this MU that much.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Fox rarely commit to reflect. He shouldn't in this MU actually. And reflector works against gyro and that's it, laser can go around.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I SH my lasers against reflector wearing characters so that if my laser gets reflected it misses me. Launching the Gyro from the air can also help to evade it when it gets reflected.

Top Bottom