• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

R.O.B. did not save video games in the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
Kinda for something that happened in the 80's.

Did you live in the 80's junior?

I still own my ROB. Even gave it a puerto rican Bandana.
Ah, awesome! Since you lived in the 80's, can you tell me if my post is accurate, and if there's any changes I need to make in my info, so I am better informed?

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I dunno, how about you check all the **** records of retailers, the **** report on GameSpy that was NOTHING of opinion but told the history of ROB, and use a quick search in Google to find a reliable source?

The source the topic creator listed is mildly true in a sense that there was many factors that contributed to interest big retailers to sell the NES, but it wasn't the main factor. The main factor was ROB and without him NO ONE would've sold the NES in stores like Wal Mart and whatnot. ROB wasn't a very good toy, nor did the sales of the NES were caused by him (the actual sales, of course, come from big hits like Super Mario Bros.). But he did save the **** industry in America by selling the NES in American shores.
You definitely can't claim that he saved the industry because you can't say what would happen if he was never made. My guess is that at some point people would have still tried out the NES and it would have still been just as big a hit, it would have just taken a bit longer. Word of mouth is the best advertisement, if one person plays a game and says it's really good then other people will give it a try.

I don't mind him being in Brawl but I am getting sick of all these people over crediting him.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You definitely can't claim that he saved the industry because you can't say what would happen if he was never made. My guess is that at some point people would have still tried out the NES and it would have still been just as big a hit, it would have just taken a bit longer. Word of mouth is the best advertisement, if one person plays a game and says it's really good then other people will give it a try.
No, literally, without him, the NES wouldn't be sold in the States period as NO retailer wanted to actually sell the thing at first as it was a video game machine. With the whole ROB gimmick bundled with the NES and advertised as a toy rather than a game machine, retailers got interested in it and sold the NES in the States.

Without ROB, mostly likely, the NES would be a Japan-only thing.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
-ahem- I have one thing to say, and one thing only...

Wikipedia: R.O.B. said:
Though it was only compatible with Gyromite and Stack-up, its most successful use was as a "trojan horse" to garner interest following the video game crash of 1983. Retailers, reluctant to stock video games because of huge losses they incurred during the crash, were willing to stock R.O.B. with the NES as a "robot toy." It worked, as retailers stocked the NES, giving Nintendo its first major foothold in the western market.
...Wikipedia disagrees with you.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
We have four different sources, two of which are major publications, that say R.O.B. helped get the NES on the shelves. Why do you think Nintendo would honor a junky accessory with only two games in all the cameos it has gotten throughout the years? It's because in Nintendo's eyes, R.O.B. WAS indeed the Trojan Horse that got them the North American market, and that's all that matters.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
He was a trojan hourse, and that was all. American retailers would have eventually given way to the consumers demands once word of mouth from Japan got way of saying how great the NES was. Also, the argument of the whole toy thing, if you check some retail stores, they still list video games under toys, some sites have a video game category, but others will still list as a toy, even the impressively built PS3, whic h I find pathetic.

Fact is he wasn't necessary to the consumers, people bought the NES when it came out in the US even without the Deluxe kit that included him. No matter what, the retailers would have eventually wised up and stocked them. R.O.B. just let things go easier and quicker.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Which is OUR point EXACTLY. We win!

Well, my point, anyways.
I acknowledge that, but he in no way saved video gaming... he merely broke open a wall that was going to crumble anyways. It just made the process quicker is my point. For that he has some significance, but if he was never made, Nintendo would still be were they're at today...

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
He was a trojan hourse, and that was all.
Yes, a trojan horse that was the one and only main factor that made retailers interest in selling him.

Just go before you embarrass yourself. You've shamed your family, your so-called professor, and peers with your lack of simple video game knowledge, I don't want any further damage to be caused to you.
Fact is he wasn't necessary to the consumers, people bought the NES when it came out in the US even without the Deluxe kit that included him. No matter what, the retailers would have eventually wised up and stocked them. R.O.B. just let things go easier and quicker.
Yeah, but the whole **** reason why the NES came out in the first place WAS because of ROB. If there was no ROB, then America wouldn't get the NES. If they did, they would've gotten it much later and there would be no gimmick like ROB that would've gotten retailers and millions of people interested in the **** system in the first place. That's just a fact and you're gonna have to accept that you're very very wrong.

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
Yes, a trojan horse that was the one and only main factor that made retailers interest in selling him.

Just go before you embarrass yourself. You've shamed your family, your so-called professor, and peers with your lack of simple video game knowledge, I don't want any further damage to be caused to you.

Yeah, but the whole **** reason why the NES came out in the first place WAS because of ROB. If there was no ROB, then America wouldn't get the NES. If they did, they would've gotten it much later and there would be no gimmick like ROB that would've gotten retailers and millions of people interested in the **** system in the first place. That's just a fact and you're gonna have to accept that you're very very wrong.
I am not wrong, Nintendo would have released in the States around the same time, stop being arrogant. I never said R.O.B. never played a role, all I said was he didn't save videogames. Video games would have prospered without him. Even if it wasn't packaged with the NES, the NES would have launched the same year or so, especially with their guarantee which left the retailers with nothing to lose.

If the retailers refused to sell it, they would eventually be swamped by consumer demand, seeing the Nintendo arcades were a big hit in the States, and word of a potential home console that is big in Japan would have thousands of people wanting one for themself.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
ROB is the main reason the NES sold in the US. Yes, the money back garuntee helped, but the fact it was marketed as a toy and not a video console is the SOLE reason it was even concidered to be stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom