• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quintessential Sakurai Reading List

Yesterday was Smash director, Masahiro Sakurai’s birthday! In order to celebrate, I thought it would be fun to organize a reading list of articles, interviews and columns which are particularly noteworthy. After reading through this list, you may have a deeper understanding of how Sakurai works! Let me know if I missed anything in the comments below.

Timeline of Sakurai’s Life

A timeline of Sakurai’s Life [so far]. How many events do you know?

Disassembling Masahiro Sakurai

A great article that looks as Masahiro Sakurai’s approach to designing games.

I’m Quitting HAL Laboratory

Sakurai discusses why he left HAL, and went full indie. Very crucial to understanding his goals as a designer.

I’m Making Smash

Sakurai explains how he came back to work on Brawl.

Sakurai On: Series

We’ve done several articles look at Sakurai’s opinion on several topics. From his approach to designing Smash 64 to Third Party Character Selection, there’s a lot here!

Character Design 101

Kind of cheating as this is actually another list on Source Gaming. This has links to most of the character related pieces we’ve translated. Check them all out!

Definitive Unused Fighter List in Smash

Most people have probably read it, but it’s still a great resource. In order to understand his approach to character selection, knowing what characters nearly made it in is crucial.

PushDustIn wishes Sakurai a happy birthday! You can follow me on Twitter for more insights into Smash's development and history.

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Happy Birthday to the guy who brought us all together in this crazy place.

Also, someone figure out what immortality potion he used to look that young at 46.

Happy Birthday, Sakurai! :)

How fortunate that he has a birthday the day before mines. lol

Although i make fun of him and his choices sometimes, Sakurai is a god among men with his creative ideas and the ability to bring back dead icons.

Although i make fun of him and his choices sometimes, Sakurai is a god among men with his creative ideas and the ability to bring back dead icons.
As much as I don't like many of his ideas, I look at the gameplay of Smash in general, Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, etc... and I think, who the hell comes up with this stuff? Some of these innovations and ideas really are amazing and really makes you think how lucky we are to have him at the helm.

We would love to! Hopefully someday...we have a lot of questions to ask though.
You must prepare for that day. I believe in you guys.

I think it would be neat if you let readers submit their questions, and as long as they aren't inflammatory, ask the top 10 or so voted questions. Maybe use Reddit or Twitter.

That was refreshing. The vast majority of articles lately have just been standard, "legitimate" news. Thanks!

You must prepare for that day. I believe in you guys.

I think it would be neat if you let readers submit their questions, and as long as they aren't inflammatory, ask the top 10 or so voted questions. Maybe use Reddit or Twitter.
Yeah I would love to do something like that. We could filter out questions that already have answers, pick out the most requested ones/ interesting ones and translate them. Then post them in English and Japanese so both communities would benefit from the interview. I have some stuff prepared if we ever get that chance :).

Yeah I would love to do something like that. We could filter out questions that already have answers, pick out the most requested ones/ interesting ones and translate them. Then post them in English and Japanese so both communities would benefit from the interview. I have some stuff prepared if we ever get that chance :).
Then get him on the phone and let's get started!!! I'm up with this idea.

Happy Birthday Sakurai!! I've named my :4pikachu:Masahiro and my :4jigglypuff:Sakurai on Pokémon GO!

Top Bottom