• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Techniques on the Dojo today...

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

Has a few techniques listed that seem pretty important. L-cancelling being one that I recognized (as a complete melee n00b).

But what about some of the others? Perfect Shield, for instance. I think that will play a huge role in close quarters combat! It's also one thing I'm pretty good at in Melee, though I don't know if there is a "perfect shield" aspect to Melee's fighting...is there?

EDIT: Nope, there isn't. Just found the answer to my own question. However, since this does share similar characteristics to Marth's parry without the immediate damage return, I think I might just have found out how to get a friend of mine (who only plays Fighting games...i.e. Street Fighter Third Strike) to actually try SSBB.

Also, the stale move negation is something I've kinda been looking forward to. My buddy plays Samus like an NFL linebacker - constantly spamming the shoulder block over and over again. Perhaps this will cause him to play better. :)

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
by L-canceling im sure you mean teching. i found a few things funny about this update:
1. it seems like sakurai went on the boards and looked at all the techniques we've found
2. it seems like he also went on here and just felt like changing the names of a bunch of techniques: teching, short hop, etc.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
2. it seems like he also went on here and just felt like changing the names of a bunch of techniques: teching, short hop, etc.
The term "short hop" in itself is redundant, so I don't mind the change. It's not gonna change worldwide, but I'll probably end up calling it small jump.

...And Ukemi sounds a ton cooler...

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
If your friend spams the shoulder bash, punish him. Hold block...and once it connects press A.

Block+A=grab.

DinnerSonic

Smash Cadet
by L-canceling im sure you mean teching. i found a few things funny about this update:
1. it seems like sakurai went on the boards and looked at all the techniques we've found
Except, you know, most of them were in the game before anyone ever even touched it. These aren't things like doing a small jump and using a hookshot or spamming the shine, which WOULD be "techniques" developed by the players, these are basic/advanced parts of the built in game engine, many of which were just never given an official name. He didn't "change the names" because they never had names, or they had names that were just never bothered to be mentioned before.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
Perfect Shield was in Melee, it just didn't have any cool names or anything.

Had to be discovered by playing against CPUs mainly since level 7-9s that don't have a 'reflector shield' could actually reflect items back sometimes. :p

Gerbil

Smash Champion
*enters topic*

you know...... topics like this kinda upset me......... :/

Guys.... please do a little Melee research before posting. Especially you TC.....

*leaves without explanation because there are tons of threads to do it instead*

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Perfect Shield was called Power Shield in Melee. There's a bonus for it.

I will still say tech. Have fun with your two extra syllables, Ukemi fans.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
To the people *****ing about Ukemi, that is the official name. Check Soul Calibur III. Ukemi is a listed technique in that game. That is what the official name is. I will probably still call it teching, but Ukemi IS the correct name.

And Perfect Shield? I guess he wanted to differentiate it from Power Shielding because it doesn't reflect projectiles anymore.

Thrull

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure I'm clear on what "pivot grab" does. I haven't seen it mentioned before in melee or brawl technique discussions or videos (at least, not with the same effect described), seems like it might be new. I wonder if it grabs the same way you're sliding, or if it actually grabs in the reverse direction with increased range?

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
To the people *****ing about Ukemi, that is the official name. Check Soul Calibur III. Ukemi is a listed technique in that game. That is what the official name is. I will probably still call it teching, but Ukemi IS the correct name.

And Perfect Shield? I guess he wanted to differentiate it from Power Shielding because it doesn't reflect projectiles anymore.
A similar recovery move was also called Ukemi in Viewtiful Joe. Dunno what it means, but i can imagine it.

hXd

Smash Cadet
As a Falcon player, I'm worried about the stale move negotiation topic as I like to use the knee a lot. This means that the beloved Falcon Knee might lose it's punch...?

Gorlith

Smash Rookie
In Judo and Aikido etc.. Ukemi is the art of taking a fall. If your well trained in Ukemi you can roll and whatnot out of many situations.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
As a Falcon player, I'm worried about the stale move negotiation topic as I like to use the knee a lot. This means that the beloved Falcon Knee might lose it's punch...?
If you keep doing nothing but the knee in a row, yes. Not only does it loose damage potential, but it ALSO won't knock your foe as far back. You gotta mix it up. No one note combos.

RedLink555

Smash Cadet
Except, you know, most of them were in the game before anyone ever even touched it. These aren't things like doing a small jump and using a hookshot or spamming the shine, which WOULD be "techniques" developed by the players, these are basic/advanced parts of the built in game engine, many of which were just never given an official name. He didn't "change the names" because they never had names, or they had names that were just never bothered to be mentioned before.
dude, chill out. to all the people who yelled at me for my comment, i was joking. i know he didn't come on the boards and looked for our advanced techniques and i know he didn't change the names just to spite us. ill still say "teching" and "shorthop" though.

Top Bottom