• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick guide for new players/puff

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I'm just writing this quick general guide for a friend of mine. He's pretty new, so it's a lot of general info. Also I'm no pro puff, so I'm open to critique and advice.
Alright so the first thing I wanna mention is that your punish/spacing game needs to be super on point as puff. Puff is slow, so you wont get as many opportunities to hit your opponent, so when you do its very important to string it into death as often as you can. Not only is this crucial because it gives you stock advantages, but also because it forces your opponent to RESPECT you. Respect is a very overlooked aspect of this game. At high level play you have to be aware of all your opponents options, and if they notice that your punish game isn't top notch, they will play with no fear, or should I say no respect, and you'll probably lose. Now about spacing. When you're throwing out bairs (not mindlessly, you should always have a reason for each bair), you wanna space them to hit your opponent with the tip of your bair, since this is the safest point. HOWEVER, many people think puffs are lame cause they just poke with bairs forever. But if you watch good puffs, almost every time they land with a bair, they follow up on it and get more out of it than just fading away and resetting the situation (although there are situations when you will wanna just poke and back out, but this shouldn't be your go-to game plan.) Keep in mind that spacing and punish game come with time and experience, as do all the fundamentals of this game. Another key aspect of puffs game is recognizing you opponents movement patterns. See, puff is a very reactionary character. Most the other characters you fight are a lot faster than you, so if you can't guess what they're gonna do in a given situation, it's gonna be near impossible to react to their approaches and such. You'll notice that the smart opponents will use their speed to run away from puff, which forces you to approach (but remember this only works if they have a lead. If you have a lead, then there's no reason to chase them down) This brings me to another important fundamental that applies to the whole game. Whoever is approaching the other person is almost always in a disadvantageous position. It's a lot easier to to hit a person who is coming to you, rather than trying to go to them. Here's where baits come into play. You wanna be just outside your opponents zone most of the time, so you can move in and out of their zone quickly and bait an attack from them, then punish it accordingly. The last thing I can think to mention is stage control. Don't ever give up stage for free, and DON'T COMMIT IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. If you are sitting pretty at center stage and they're in a corner, don't just approach them cause they're in a bad position. Instead, keep them there. To me it feels like they're trying to break out of a cage or something, and if you go into the cage, the doors wide open for them to leave. Just space bairs and force them to do something stupid and punish them for it. Okay that's all the general info I can think of for puff rn, I was thinking about writing about match ups too, but it would be suuuper long and there's already posts for that.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I recommend you write an actual guide. I'm sure the Puff mains would appreciate it.

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
I agree with Saiblade
You seem like you are very knowledgeable and Puff players would be very appreciative.

Mtank

Smash Cadet
lmao would people really read a guide from an unknown?

proxibomb

Smash Clown
What? Do people not read the stickies? There's already a ****ton of info
The more guides, the merrier. Everyone has a unique play style, and combining multiple play styles to make your own makes you even more spontaneous and knowledgeable.

So long as the guide is accurate in frame data or combo timing and such, it should be fine.

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately puff and I had a bit of a rough patch this weekend at Big House.. Nothing personal to puff, but I just don't think we're working out anymore. I love her to death, she was my first love, but sometimes timing just isn't right. I have no qualms of puff and her abilities to perform at a top level (as shown by hungrybox), but her style just isn't for me anymore. Good bye puff and puff boards, it's been fun, and I'll really miss you! D;

Top Bottom