• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Draw for get up?

underpowered

Smash Cadet
So, I was practicing ledge trumping and shield dropping today and while I was at it messing around with different getup options from ledge.

One I really liked was to let go of the ledge and jump up and Quick Draw (side b).

Is there... I don't think I've ever seen Ryo, Ryuga or any of the "top Ikes" do this, so is there a reason? I was in training, so I haven't tried it against a live person, so is it easily disrupted?

I feel like a lot of times your opponent is standing a variable amount away from the ledge and side-b can go different distances OR you can even cancel and use it to snap right back to the edge.

Thoughts?

Crelrn

Smash Cadet
NNID
1800HOTLINEBLING
3DS FC
3582-9752-3403
It's a good option, but easily punished if read

Arrei

Smash Lord
A poor option at best, I'd say. Quick Draw has pretty considerable startup and endlag on shield for a mere 6-8% damage reward.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
A poor option at best, I'd say. Quick Draw has pretty considerable startup and endlag on shield for a mere 6-8% damage reward.
Hmm, this sounds kind of theory-crafty to me.

The start up lag might matter, but for the most part you're off stage in the air jumping for it so even though it's a few frames slower than other aerials, I'm not sure it makes that much difference.

Obviously you don't want to use it on shield if you can help it, but if someone is standing a bit out of range of your aerials or the getup attack from the ledge, you can still hit them with this.

Plus the knockback is pretty respectable even if the damage is a bit low.

I dunno, after using it a bit more in practice I think I'm definitely gonna try to work it in if someone is out of getup attack range, at least as a mix-up.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's a mixup. Jump onstage with qd or pure vertical. You can also hold down with qd at the ledge to hit through. It's very dangerous if you are hit though.

Arrei

Smash Lord
The startup definitely matters - your opponent is going to be watching you for your next move while you're at the ledge and he'll be ready to react once he sees you've let go, most likely with a shield. Then add Quick Draw's startup and charge time (if applicable). If your opponent isn't overly aggressive, he's not going to get hit by that. Once he's blocked it, a punish is all but guaranteed since Quick Draw is both too laggy and too feeble on block, and now you're at the ledge awaiting an incoming smash attack close to the blast zone. Not a good situation to find yourself in.

Generally speaking you want to go with quick and/or low lag moves when trying to attack from the ledge. Quick Draw is, ironically enough for its name, neither of those.

Last edited:

Elixar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zer0Requiem
Wavebounce QD onto stage is pretty nice, and gets you more distance onstage. If Customs are on the CC pops them up or at the very least goes through shields so you aren't punished as hard on block.

Appdude

Smash Cadet
I'd say literally use this twice per person. It gets really easy to read something like that.

Top Bottom