• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions YOU would ask Sakurai?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hi everyone. I am Masahiro Sakurai. I am feeling very cynical today.

1. Because I want to move on and not make additions to this one game for the rest of my life. There's a reason I left Nintendo in the first place.

You know, despite the fact at GDC he made it more then obvious that he's not completely sick of the series. Also, the real reason he said there was no DLC was because the Wii didn't have true hardware.

2. Without ROB, there would have been no NES in the United States of America. Without the NES in America, Nintendo would not have seen the type of success it has and you would not be playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt were what made the NES fly off shelves, not ROB. If it had just been ROB (with Stack Up and Gyromite), the NES would have failed miseribly. Also, ROB was put on store shelves because the toy store owners thought the consumers would be stupid enough to not see that it was a video game. As it should be obvious in hindsight, no one was fooled and it was quite apparent that the NES was a game console. Really, don't blow up ROB to legardary proportions simply because you feel like you have to justify his appearance because, in reality, it can't and he's really a gimmick character that Sakurai added for WTF value.

3. Annoying brats who wouldn't shut up about clones. That and I couldn't find any way for Mewtwo and his gigantic tail to work without sucking.

There were ways but since Sakurai decided on 34 out of the game's 35 individual characters on July 7th 2005 (three days after meeting with Iwata about making a new SSB game)... In a sense, Brawl's roster was even more rushed then Melee's.

4. It didn't cross my mind. The Mario Galaxy team was very secretive! I don't have any Galaxy stuff in this game!

Not really when you consider how Galaxy had 4 playable demos by the time Brawl had one... Brawl was a lot more secretive while Nintendo couldn't shut up about Galaxy.

5. Ask Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of Australia. They hate gamers though so I don't know if it's a good idea!

6. I left HAL. I do not work on Kirby games any more.

I spent so much time on SSE because the multiplayer was pretty much perfected in the first two games and just needed slight tweaks. I have wanted to create something rich for single player in Smash Bros for almost a decade now!

6 - 8 hours is a great chunk of time on a game that is still primarily a multiplayer game. It's about the length of blockbusters like the Halo and Metal Gear Solid series.

There are no clones in Brawl.

Not in the sense of Melee like with Dr. Mario, Roy and Pichu but Brawl does have clones. Call them semi-clones, "Luigified", whatever, the point is that they still exist and it makes the matter worse when you deny it. It's like the people who used to argue that Pichu was the equivalent of Luigi to Mario.

There were better non-female characters to add.

Only because the percentage of "good" female characters is much smaller in comparison.

Krystal is quite possibly one of the worst characters ever conceived.

Despite the fact that Wolf is almost entirely based on the "dark side" cliche... I suppose Waluigi and Daisy are just as note-worthy then too, hmm? Really, the only reason that Krystal is not playable is that Sakurai practically finalized Brawl's roster about a year before it was introduced to the public and was completely blind to what the fans wanted now. As I've said in other threads, a vast majority of Brawl's characters were those that did fairly well in the Melee poll, were left on the cutting room floor, or were added completely out of obligation (as with the case with Ike and Lucario representing the most current generations).

Isaac is less popular than you think oh internet-dweller.

Even more so then ROB? ;)

Because I want to make a new game. I want to innovate. I don't want to update Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the rest of my life. There's a reason I left Nintendo in the first place.
As already mentioned, Sakurai made it very clear that he doesn't despise the SSB franchise as much as you're insinuating. On the contrary, he loves it and still sees plenty of possibilities for it.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
He added villains to the roster. What do you think Wolf and King Dedede are? Also,
R.O.B. is technically a villain.
lrn2lore.

- Wario is not a villain. I guess he's an evil twin, which is more of a villain than half of the other "villain" adds, so I'll let that one go.

- Meta Knight is not a villain. He's a noble knight of Dreamland that can frequently be seen fighting against the current villain in his own mysterious way. He sometimes shows up to challenge Kirby in a test of skill, making him more of a rival.

- King Dedede is not a villain. The worst Dedede has ever done has stolen a piece of Kirby's cake. In almost every Kirby game, he's simply misunderstood to be doing wrong when he's actually trying to help. No villain, just a fat, greedy king. He's still awesome though.

- Wolf is not a villain. He is a mercenary. He happened to work under Andross in Star Fox 64, but in later games he usually just shows up to get in Fox's way, and sometimes even helps him out.

- Spoiler:
ROB is not a villain. He is a video game accessory. Not a very good one, at that. He may have, at one time, been the villain of the Subspace Emissary, but he had a change of heart. That =/= villain.

Going with some of this logic I could even argue that Bowser isn't a true villain. The only true villain on the roster is really only Ganondorf. Where are the VILLAINS. King K. Rool? What about Pokey or the Masked Man? Hell, as much as I'm against his playability, what about RIDLEY? And if we're going to blur the line between villain and semi-evil/rival so much, why was Mewtwo removed in the first place?

I will say, though, that I'm easily more put off by the lack of female newcomers, just because there were so many good options.

Edit: man, does SWF crash after making a post every time for every one else?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
1. Why do you give Lucas and Ness PSI that they never learned (sans Flash) in their original games?

2. Why did you make the final roster before consulting a more recent fan input? After all, had Krystal existed in 2001 as she does now, Wolf probably wouldn't have made it.

3. Why three Landmasters? Two makes sense, but three?

4. What is with all the cut content? The only one that makes sense is the MGS theme.

5. Were you serious about it being impossible for DLC, or were you just playing us for fools because it would've been to early to announce it?

6. Mind playing me in a 3-stock match? You set the rules but no damage handicaps.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
Must... correct...

lrn2lore.

- Wario is not a villain. I guess he's an evil twin, which is more of a villain than half of the other "villain" adds, so I'll let that one go.

Nope, he's technically a villain. Even in his own games, he's in it for the money. If it's not his own game... well, SSE puts it in perspective.

- Meta Knight is not a villain. He's a noble knight of Dreamland that can frequently be seen fighting against the current villain in his own mysterious way. He sometimes shows up to challenge Kirby in a test of skill, making him more of a rival.

True. However, DARK Meta Knight (one of his alts), on the other hand...

- King Dedede is not a villain. The worst Dedede has ever done has stolen a piece of Kirby's cake. In almost every Kirby game, he's simply misunderstood to be doing wrong when he's actually trying to help. No villain, just a fat, greedy king. He's still awesome though.

1. He's done worse than stealing cake.
2. He never stole Kirby's cake (at least, not that I'm aware of).

- Wolf is not a villain. He is a mercenary. He happened to work under Andross in Star Fox 64, but in later games he usually just shows up to get in Fox's way, and sometimes even helps him out.

He's the head of his own criminal empire. WHAT PART OF THAT ISN'T 'BEING A VILLAIN'? Sure, he's a bit soft-hearted/hard-headed when it comes to Starfox, but...

- Spoiler:
ROB is not a villain. He is a video game accessory. Not a very good one, at that. He may have, at one time, been the villain of the Subspace Emissary, but he had a change of heart. That =/= villain.

Also true.

Going with some of this logic I could even argue that Bowser isn't a true villain.

He's kind of off-and-on. He's an idiotic villain that works for the greater good if it benefits himself.

The only true villain on the roster is really only Ganondorf.

Ganondorf is the King of Evil. Nobody looks like a villain compared to him.
MY questions:

-why the lack of female characters?
-why tripping?
-why NOT Ridley?
-what third party character would you add, given the choice?
-who's your favorite character?

MRX

Smash Cadet
OK, I erased what I answered since doesn't fit, but sure was fun at the time! Blah. I got a question for Sakurai.

Were you training an apprentice like Miyamoto did with many of the now taken over franchise directors?

SAKURAI!!!!!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Dear SWF, why can't I quote a post with a quote in it. Thanks. I'll copy paste it myself. -.-;

Fanewgie said:
- Wario

Nope, he's technically a villain. Even in his own games, he's in it for the money. If it's not his own game... well, SSE puts it in perspective.

I don't really consider being greedy as being a villain. Sure, he was the villain in Mario Land 2, but past that I think he's mostly just a fat greedy (but still awesome) guy out for a quick buck. Though like I said, I'm willing to let that one go compared to some of the other choices.

- Meta Knight

True. However, DARK Meta Knight (one of his alts), on the other hand...

I can't really count that as a villain slot. That's like saying Link is a villain.

- King Dedede

1. He's done worse than stealing cake.
2. He never stole Kirby's cake (at least, not that I'm aware of).

I think in Kirby's Dreamland it boiled down to "Dedede stole my dessert!". In Kirby's Adventure, he stole the Star Rod, but that was to seal the greater evil that was Dark Matter away to save Dreamland. In Dreamland 3, he was simply posessed by Dark Matter. In a handful of the other games he was just kind of there, or Kirby assumed he was the one behind whatever foulness was going down.

- Wolf

He's the head of his own criminal empire. WHAT PART OF THAT ISN'T 'BEING A VILLAIN'? Sure, he's a bit soft-hearted/hard-headed when it comes to Starfox, but...

Wasn't the criminal empire thing just part of an alternate ending in Command? I'll admit I'm a little rusty on my Star Fox history, though.
Regardless I think we're, for the most part, in agreement that most of these villains are really just "sort of bad guys" or simply mistaken for evil. I still think we could've used a few more real villains in the roster.

Though as I said before, I'm still more irritable about the lack of female newcomers, but I won't get into that here.

BTW, thanks for debating for reals and not just saying "you suck and are wrong because you're not a Ridley supporter". <3

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
1. What would you say is the probability of you giving us an even greater SSB4? Not to say Brawl doesn't look like I'll not be playing it for forever or anything.

2. Why didn't you include an Animal Crossing character? It would've made for a unqiue, tool-assisted moveset, and Tom Nook says he owned a fight club in Wild World and never lost a match.

3. Why didn't you include more Assist Trophies?

4. What caused your decision to include no voice acting in the SSE?

5. What's up with the extra seven incomplete characters found on the SSBB disk?

6. Why didn't you give Ton Link a Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass based moveset?

7. Why doesn't Ganondorf ever use his sword (except for taunting)?

8. Why did you have the character poll if you already knew which characters would be included?

9. Can I please have your autograph Mr. Sakurai sir?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I'd ask him why he made different characters have the same final smash. It can't take that long to make a final smash, it's not like you have to balance anything. Not that I'm complaining, I don't really care that much about the Final Smashes themselves, I'm just curious as to why he chose to give characters the same final smash.

SN3S

Smash Apprentice
When's your birthday :)
Well hell I can answer that one: August 3 (he's 37-38 IIRC)

My Three Questions:

Will you please sign my Brawl poster?

Why was Nintendo so adamant about not implementing voice chat?

FALCON... PAAAWNCH!!!!!! (Yes it's a question. It's also a statement, and interjection, a prepositional phrase, a gerund, a command, and a general display of manly bad-assery)

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
How long does it take to make a character?

Why those 35 characters?

Can I have you Brawl Friend code?

Can I have your autograph?

antimatter

Smash Lord
why did you come up with the roster in 2005 by yourself, when there was plenty of time to discover new characters and hear ideas from your fans?

Machete

Smash Ace
lrn2lore.

- Spoiler:

Going with some of this logic I could even argue that Bowser isn't a true villain. The only true villain on the roster is really only Ganondorf. Where are the VILLAINS. King K. Rool? What about Pokey or the Masked Man? Hell, as much as I'm against his playability, what about RIDLEY? And if we're going to blur the line between villain and semi-evil/rival so much, why was Mewtwo removed in the first place?

I will say, though, that I'm easily more put off by the lack of female newcomers, just because there were so many good options.

Edit: man, does SWF crash after making a post every time for every one else?
Well, I think Wario, Dedede and Meta Knight are considered villains because they're bad guys in ther games. Even though Wario and Dedede are just greedy and Meta Knight is an honorable guy who fights Kirby. They're not evil, though.

Wolf is a villain. Although he's not evil, he has done a lot of villanous actions, so I'd consider him a vilalin.

Bowser isn't evil, but he's a villain (although not a serious one).

Although I'd like to see more "true villains", like Ganondorf. Ridley and Claus were the perfect evil, cruel and merciless villains who would've been perfect. Also, both of them had a good personality (Ridley just has it in the manga, but he has it) and they're both awesome...

On topic:
-Why was Mewtwo removed?
-Why not Ridley? He's extremely popular, and Metroid needs a new character. :(
-Where's the PK Love?
-Finally... thanks for not adding Krystal and adding Wolf. (k) (l)

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
If you were given the opportunity to meet Sakurai, what questions would you ask him?

Mine would be:

1. Why did you bring back BIG BLUE and JUNGLE JAPES and not Dreamland 64?

2. Why on MT Cornet do you have the legendary Pokemon disappear to only have them reappear two seconds later? Why didn't you have all 3 Pokemon appear during the same battle?

3. Why would you give Yoshi, Wario, etc crawling abilities that are absolutely useless because they are too big to crawl underneath any projectiles fired at them?!

4. Why did you leave out the most wanted Yoshi colors? Black and White?

5. How could you over look such obvious glitches that were found days after the games release? Was it it tested at all?!

6. By the way, thanks for the awesome game. and I LOVE the Yoshi improvements =).
Did you ever think that maybe the giant Jigglypuff glitch was left in purposefully by the team? Just to give us something cool?

Anyways, I wouldn't ask a question; I'd hold up a picture of Falco and scream "WHYYYYYYY"

kunai_abuser

Smash Journeyman
Why did you allow the voices of Pit, MK, Ike, Fox, and Falco to be so bad?

Will you be my uncle?

Xuuel

Smash Rookie
Why did you think that lyn would be a better assist trophy than character?
Why did you choose not to bring back any 64 stages?

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Why did Metroid only get 1 character?
It got 2 (ZSS).

Anyways, I would ask:
1) What gaming companies did you ask to be featured in Brawl? (who knows, maybe one turned down a chance to be in Brawl)
2) What influenced you to put ROB in Brawl? (maybe it's more than Nintendo history)
3) Why did you decide to have Wifi "with anyone" to be limited to a 2 min. match everytime?
4) Why did you decide to have 1 less represenative from the Mario series from Melee to Brawl? *cough* Bowser Jr. *cough*
5) Was it too hard to have a slightly different moveset for Ganondorf?
6) What, specifically, compelled you to pick Wolf over Krystal? (for me, I liked the decision for adding Wolf)
7) Given that Brawl will be a worldwide phanomenon, do you think that Nintendo would create another Smash, even if you weren't part of it? (Super Smash Bros. Clash!!!!!!)

These are my lucky 7.

Edit: Yeah, my bad. ZZS doesn't count.

Sgt.Frog

Smash Apprentice
Why was there no new female characters in Brawl? Specifically, the girl in my sig.
ZSS doesn't count...

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Meh, I'll bite

1. Why did you add in Tripping?
2. So, I've been hearing you had to cut a few things... (*COUGH*M2*COUGH*BalladofWindfish*COUGH*)
What's the deal with that?
3. What compelled you to make stages like 75m, Mario Bros. and Electroplankton?
4. Who were your beta-testers and where can I find them? I need to have a "chat" with them >_>
5. Were you aware of competative Melee and did this influence the changes in gameplay in any way?
6. What was up with nerfing combos?
and finally...
7. $MM?

Top Bottom