• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Questions about reactionary tech-chases

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
So I've been practicing d-throw tech chases against Fox and Falco for a bit now in 20XX. In tournament sets it's been able to translate pretty well and I don't often miss the reaction on teching to the right or left. I run into problems, however, with teching in place (and most of the time getting shined) and no techs. Even if I am able to learn how to react to them not teching in a direction, I have even more trouble making the distinction between having to regrab or jab reset (not even including being mindful of their percent as to not give them the automatic standup). Does anyone have any tips that might be able to help me? I feel like if I could tech chase more consistently then my punish game would get so much better since I normally end up dropping it after the 3-4th regrab.

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
I have the same problem too man! Yea tech in place does requires your fastest reaction out of all the options. I would practice your position after the D-Throw. You should always be able to Down Smash a spacie after a tech in place/missed-tech. Down Smash is good because it has late hitboxes that can cover both of those options. A MISSED TECH, however, has better ways of being punishing, such as shield grabbing, and even waiting for your opponent to do something. Jab Resets are great too, but they will only work if they're percents are less than these:
Fox: 36%
Falco: 37%
Captain Falcon: 42%

Personally I reccomend you should go for whatever is most comfortable for you, whether it is a sheild-grab, or a jab-reset. That being said, also try not to be predictable. Hoped that helped! Best of luck!

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Watch your oponent's patterns. Many people will almost always roll in a certain direction or almost always tech in place/getup attack. Pick up on your oponent's strategies and capitalize on their go-tos.

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
Many people will almost always roll in a certain direction or almost always tech in place/getup attack.
This is very true. I played a Fox main who only tech rolled left and right, not in place. It was very easy to Tech Chase him after i figured him out :)

darocketman

Smash Rookie
TBH I think that Falco is the hardest to tech chase. Due to his very fast roll, his longer get up attack, and his shine. Although Fox's Shine is better than Falco's objectively, Falco's is better for stopping Tech Chases because of it's launching properties

Scroll

Smash Ace
Alright, so there are a few things you need to do in order to chase tech in place.
1. You need to face the direction of your opponent (notice their DI and turn if you need to)
2. Look for either "The Green Flash" or screen shaking (both indicating a missed tech!) If none of that happens then they teched successfully.
3. If the camera starts to zoom out then they tech roll.

So to recap; Face opponent and look for one of the ques for missed tech, AND camera zoom, at the same time.
If none of the ques show up and camera stays still then you grab! Pretty simple huh?
I call teching in place "peace" since.. well.. nothing happens :)

I am a huge advocate for tech chasing on reaction. Although I am not that experienced and certainly far far away from even being mediocre I know this method will pay off in the long run.

Last edited:

NastyNard

Smash Cadet
Another thing to add about dealing with the tech in place is that ideally you want to be positioned slightly outside of their shine range, but still close enough to grab. This can be done with a slight WD (a dash dance might work too). It's also hard as hell when you're already focusing so hard on reacting, but apparently (I've been told), it's impossible to react to a frame-perfect tech in place shine as a human, so this is the way to get around that. I've noticed M2K doesn't seems to do this much though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you want to punish a missed tech or try and get a hard read you should usaully go with upsmash instead of downsmash because the follow-ups it leads to are ******* amazing.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Something about your post resounded in my head.
You mention you drop the regrab tech chase after 3 or 4 regrabs. If that's true then I'd say you are already doing amazing, given that it's all done on reaction and they don't have extremely easy tech patterns (back, forward, back, forward).
I wish I could get 3 in a row on average :)
*back to the lab*

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
Hey, I've been absent from SmashBoards for a bit so sorry for the late reply here. Thanks for the help guys, in the past week I've been putting in work in the lab. I tried both watching the Fox animation and watching the screen move/shake but that wasn't doing it for me. However, for me the easiest thing to do was watch the little circle that appears when someone techs. It slightly moves in the direction that they're teching and it's easier to distinguish that from the different animations fox does. I've been able to carry my tech chases really far now, all the way to 70-80% on the 20XX AI, and I'll be trying it in tournament tonight.

Before I would be able to carry it for a couple regrabs until they started tecching in place or purposely not teching. I do struggle with DI behind since I'm so focused on watching where they're going to land, but that's something much more managable. Honestly, most people don't even think to do it.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Here is another way to approach this:
Look intesively for tech in place/missed tech as first priority!
Every time you dthrow, think to youself "is this tech in place??"
These are the visual tells:

Fox spreads his legs and this will be the thing you look for

Like Fox, Falco also spreads his legs in the Neutral Tech animation so this is your cue.

C.Falcon does this springy onehandstand

Then he becomes airborn. This should actually be your cue

Last edited:
Top Bottom