• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yay for more Lip-supporters! Glad to see you made moveset for her as well! *Adds to OP*

You know, it's funny that lot of us seem to have mostly a same idea for what should be her moveset overall despite being merely a puzzle game character.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I think that's part of the reason why our ideas are similar. There's not a whole lot of physical action seen in Panel De Pon, so there isn't a lot of original material to work with.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If original material is a problem, make her powers based around plants. She is called the Fairy of Flowers for a reason you know.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Yeah, sometimes you have to get creative like that.

Some ideas like dropping garbage blocks and flying on watabou seem pretty obvious to me, though, so I'm not at all surprised to see them in multiple moveset sketches.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I feel like there's not enough love for this thread, but I'm glad to see that my most wanted female character hasn't been forgotten. Absolutely LOVE Panel De Pon, was SO glad when they added her theme to the PictoChat stage. Gonna keep my fingers crossed this time.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I feel like there's not enough love for this thread, but I'm glad to see that my most wanted female character hasn't been forgotten. Absolutely LOVE Panel De Pon, was SO glad when they added her theme to the PictoChat stage. Gonna keep my fingers crossed this time.

Weren't you back in the Pre-Brawl discussion days, I presume?

I don't feel so hopeful myself, I mean, we'd get another random screenshot showing Lip's Stick is confirmed as an item or she might just been upgraded into an Assist Trophy... though if Lip GOT in despite all that... I don't know what to even think. But I'd definitely die happy.

Though I can't deny that from all the cameo stuff Sakurai has included, PdP has quite a number (and also in his own character Kirby).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I suppose being an assist trophy would be better than nothing...

Well yeah. On the other hand I'm saddened that Assist Trophies are more than forgotten by Smash Bros's fanbase, and get little to no love. No wonder though because they're just Poke-ball knockoff items to draw in more hardcore fans and "give more Nintendo-fest party feel".
Not to mention them consisting also of random mooks and such which makes the group more than wierd for people to get attached to.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Weren't you back in the Pre-Brawl discussion days, I presume?

I don't feel so hopeful myself, I mean, we'd get another random screenshot showing Lip's Stick is confirmed as an item or she might just been upgraded into an Assist Trophy... though if Lip GOT in despite all that... I don't know what to even think. But I'd definitely die happy.

Though I can't deny that from all the cameo stuff Sakurai has included, PdP has quite a number (and also in his own character Kirby).
Indeed I was :3 I went on a mini crusade of commissioning Lip art from various people I knew on dA. I'd have to say my favorites were these two.

I get what you mean. From a purely objective standpoint, assist trophy does feel more likely. Though given that Isaac was an assist trophy last time and people still think he'd be a good choice for Smash (even though I prefer bearded Isaac, myself), that still leaves hope for the future. It's incredibly unlikely that this franchise will ever go away. So long as we keep making noise, she's got a shot~

It'd be nice if NOA would let Lip do ANYTHING in the US though. Kind of annoying that they don't, really.

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I hope Lip shows up. Considering she has one of her items IN the game as a regular item seems to indicate she's gotten SOME notice before.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Not to mention her own theme song and plenty of stickers!
I'd totally forgotten about the stickers! Kinda makes me think that, to an extent, Sakurai tests the water first before adding characters he's not sure on. Pit had a trophy in Melee and an inclusion in Brawl. It would have been nice if Lip had a trophy too, but at least she already has more presence than a lot of other potentials.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'd be so thrilled to see her making a jump to playable status. Considering Sakurai had wanted to people get to "give her a chance" (recommending PdP nonetheless) and there's been all the references so far being added to the series, it might not be too much of stretch to see her being in this installment in some form...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lip's would probably be one of the only few things that would hype me up greatly for smash 4. I really hope she makes it in. :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I really hope they include this song as a remix:

Has to be one of the best songs in the game.

But this wouldn't hurt either.

And this one as well.

Maan, so much great music in Panel De Pon anyway, it's such a shame they don't seem to take much look at these songs aside from Lip's Theme.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Even before I knew that Tetris Attack was a localized version of Panel De Pon, I was in love with the music. I think my favorite one was this one:

Though it's hard to deny how badass this song is:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Yeah, I'd really love to see a cool remix of Cordelia's theme. Something dramatic and daunting like this remix would be awesome.

Although, really, I'd be excited to see any kind of song from Panel De Pon in SSB4. That game had a wonderful soundtrack overall.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
That's odd, it worked fine for me. I apologize.

I turned it into a video embed for your convenience.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Thank you :D

That is quite a nice remix~

On the topic of music though, I think it'd be nice to not only have some of the stages' music show up, but also if said stages' panic music were incorporated into it as some kind of medley. The Flame World's panic music specifically comes to mind.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Panel de Pon should've been a franchise they revived and translated into the English on the DS. The market was perfect. There were so many girls that got a DS to play Nintendogs and such that aren't the typical games.. which was why the DS was so wide-spread. It's too late for that now, but it would be awesome to see something more than stickers from this game.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Kind of a shame, as Panel De Pon technically was on the DS (going by the new name of Puzzle League), but It didn't really have a theme. It was not based on the original Panel De Pon fairies, Yoshi's Island or Pokemon like previous titles were. It was just a simplified puzzle game..

Sinn

Smash Lord
Panel de Pon should've been a franchise they revived and translated into the English on the DS. The market was perfect. There were so many girls that got a DS to play Nintendogs and such that aren't the typical games.. which was why the DS was so wide-spread. It's too late for that now, but it would be awesome to see something more than stickers from this game.
What I found most ridiculous is how the removed the ability to unlock Lip's stage in the US version of Planet Puzzle League. Not the stage itself, but just the ability to access it. Which makes NO sense to me. What's the point of locking a programmed feature just because people might not understand it? I would have played that stage all the time ;-;

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I find that to be puzzling(heh) myself. It seems Lip isn't allowed to make any kind of appearance in the west..

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it's more of a tradition guys had to "keep" going because they don't know what else to do.

Anyway, I think I want to take a crack on theorizing on about some things in Melee which make me think was Lip and her series sorta meddled with for inclusion with the development team during Melee. This is not in purposes for saying if Lip could become playable or WAS playable in previous SSB-games (mainly Melee), just some theories and food for thought.

• Lip's Stick pretty much translate a lot to the way garbage blocks and defeating an opponent in Panel De Pon works. Showcased in this video.
Lip has to yet appear along with her signature item in Smash Bros-series.Due this, one could think that Sakurai once looked through Lip's inclusion back in Melee, but deemed her somehow unpotent as a playable, yet liked her item enough to implement it as one of them in the final game.

• Let's not forget that he had applied Lip's garbage block as one of the transformations Kirby can take.

This MIGHT tell that Lip was actually considered some way or another to be included in the game, unless Sakurai wanted to throw the block for Kirby's move just for referencial kicks. In any case, so far it's unknown why this block, along with the Stick, were included at the first place in Melee.

But it doesn't end even here.

• Let's take a look at Green Greens, shall we.

I want you to take a peek at two elements here: the falling star blocks and the rainbow.

If my theory on Lip being thought around the table during Melee's development was true, Green Greens MIGHT have been something along of Lip's own stage IF she were to appear in Smash, but was turned to Kirby's when she was deemed to be not added.

- There's two block stacks on either side of the stage. This seem to correspond at Panel De Pon's VS Mode, where two people also had stacks of blocks to use against each other.

Note also that there can be only three blocks horizontally next to each other, maybe as to refer to the idea of lining three same blocks.I don't know where this could have been used for (maybe different blocks falling randomly and then some of them actually connecting and something could have happened, which might also play the part on why this concept wasn't fully realized out).

- Another is the rainbow coming from the background to the stage on the right, which might obviously refer to Lip traveling on them on her story mode to other Fairies' destinations.A rainbow of course is also present in Dreamland-stage in SSB64, but this one was rendered to be a lot the way a "path" to the stage, unlike the Dreamland's. On the other hand Dreamland 64's background has also the rainbow somehow "ending" presumably to one of the islands behind the actual stage, which could render my theory moot.

There. Take these anyway you want, at the end they're just my little theories on if Panel De Pon was somehow considered during Melee's development, and if so, what it could have had as representation based on what's left in Melee.

Oh, and something nice to show from one certain kickstart "The Cucumber Quest Book", which has artwork based on Panel De Pon's VS Character Portraits. Nice to see the series having fans showing their respect to the series this way. Here.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I'd never thought about all of those things regarding the item and that stage. It does make sense in a strange sort of way. I just hope, if it's an accurate theory, that whatever made them opt not to put her in the first time around has been rethought like the AC Villager's inclusion.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Chalk me in for Lip supporters, if I haven't already (Don't recall) Even though my main most wanted this time is K. Rool, I'm still a Lip fan.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, it is an interesting idea. Having a character from a puzzle game. I know we've had Dr.Mario in Melee, though Lip might be able to stand out more from Dr. Mario.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Many would argue that Yoshi is a puzzle game rep because of the few he's had. But I think Lip or Doc would better suit that.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Perhaps they'll remove Lip's Stick in favor of the character herself.

That seems unnecessary. We have Samus using the Screwattack, while it's still an item in the games as well. To a lesser extent, Bowser and Charizard can breath fire and yet the Fire Flower is still a usable item as well. And one would imagine that her own personal weapon and the usable item would have different properties, but that's only a possibility.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah as TheKewlusername said, there is no real need to remove the Lip Stick item if Lip is in. She can just hold both, double the awesome. :p

Sinn

Smash Lord
Yeah as TheKewlusername said, there is no real need to remove the Lip Stick item if Lip is in. She can just hold both, double the awesome. :p
This is one reason I never liked it when people saw the Lip's Stick item back in the Brawl days and immediately assumed that she wasn't going to be in. I mean...in the end, she WASN'T, but...that doesn't mean she couldn't have been ;-;

Dual wielding Lip's Sticks would be shweet~

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hohohoo, indeed. Dual Sticks out! I dunno if she'd use it that similarly in her attacks (I bet they'll be more like plant-based).

On the other hand, I was feeling lately on thinking about quitting straight if Lip's Stick would be shown. But I guess maybe not.

Top Bottom