• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
when Nintendo goes gung ho about e-releases of their smaller puzzle titles, PdP never made an appearance.
Well we DID get Puzzle League Express, but that's basically a scaled down version of the worst game in the series, and the international versions don't even have Lip's stage to try and make up for everything else it did wrong, because ew cooties.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, it sucks... Every Panel de Pon game has been localized, but never with the fairies, and the later ones starting removing the best elements from the games all-together. And they wonder why they sold like crap.

Yeah, mascots aren't REQUIRED to play a puzzle game, but it sure as hell makes it a lot more fun picking your favorite character to represent you and have you win enough times to get your music to play in the background.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
This is why I think Nintendo really hates Lip, we'll never meet her outside of Japan.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I've been there, Kawai. I'm willing to remain hopeful that we'll get her outside of Japan sooner or later.

Yeah, it sucks... Every Panel de Pon game has been localized, but never with the fairies, and the later ones starting removing the best elements from the games all-together. And they wonder why they sold like crap.
Yeah, mascots aren't REQUIRED to play a puzzle game, but it sure as hell makes it a lot more fun picking your favorite character to represent you and have you win enough times to get your music to play in the background.
Yup. Someone didn't get the message that the adorable mascots are a good half of what makes Panel de Pon so memorable.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
The only way to get Lip in the US is with a Tetris Attack x Panel de Pon crossover on Wii U and 3DS with 8 players, Nintendo Network support, and playfield sizes!

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
When I saw Puzzle & Dragon Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition, I think we could have similarly a compilation Panel de Pon New + Yoshi's Tetris Attack, but the Yoshi version could be totally new and not just a dressing of PDP, for satisfy everyone.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What I think would be a lot of fun is if Nintendo made a Panel de Pon RPG, then did a Puzzle and Dragons and packaged it with Panel de Pon/Puzzle League: Yoshi's Island Edition. It throws the Tetris Attack fans a bone while also introducing the fairy characters to a wider audience.

So uh... basically exactly what Kawai nic said. ^^

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When I saw Puzzle & Dragon Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition, I think we could have similarly a compilation Panel de Pon New + Yoshi's Tetris Attack, but the Yoshi version could be totally new and not just a dressing of PDP, for satisfy everyone.
The issue with Tetris Attack is I don't think Nintendo has the license to the name anymore.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hence why I proposed Puzzle League: Yoshi's Island Edition. A good way to get in a Tetris Attack remake while bringing the fairy characters out of Japan-only territory and at the same time not stepping on TTC's toes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe The Tetris Company currently holds the ownership and license to the Tetris brand, but who cares. Tetris attack wasn't really even about Tetris.
Oh, I know. My point is, I don't think they can use the name anymore. Which is where I get some issues on deciding on a name.

Like Lip's Puzzle League vs. Yoshi's Island or something. Puzzle League: Lip vs. Yoshi. Replace "Puzzle League" with "Panel de Pon" in Japan, obviously.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Oh, I know. My point is, I don't think they can use the name anymore. Which is where I get some issues on deciding on a name.

Like Lip's Puzzle League vs. Yoshi's Island or something. Puzzle League: Lip vs. Yoshi. Replace "Puzzle League" with "Panel de Pon" in Japan, obviously.
You know, or they can just say Panel de Pon cuz 1. Sounds cooler and 2. Shorter title.

PS Nintendo, we aren't stupid. We know about your Japan only games.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You know, or they can just say Panel de Pon cuz 1. Sounds cooler and 2. Shorter title.
Actually, Panel de Pon is only shorter in character count. It's one longer syllable-wise. : P

But yeah, Nintendo needs to see about bringing their Japan-only franchises over. Some of them are just too inextricably Japanese to really have a market over here, sure, but what's keeping PDP? They brought Takamaru over, why not Lip and co.? Surely Friendship is Magic has proven cute girly things can attract a neutral demographic too...

(Fun fact: I've always headcanoned Windy as acting like a humanoid Pinkie Pie with wind powers. ^^)

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
But still, let's continue giving Sakurai our fairy-filled voices!
Maybe he'll add a Puzzle League mode to Smash 3DS / Wii U as DLC!
I WOULD LOVE IT!!!

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
They brought Takamaru over, why not Lip and co.?
It's simple, it's because Lip is a cute/loli/kawai girl that will be rejected in USA and Europe (While games like Arcana Heart comes to the west and are accepted, did you say irony ?)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
No, I think if they want to bring Lip back, it should be as a commercially released high-budget title. If you're going to introduce a character to a Western audience, then go all out!

The reason I think a puzzle game/RPG mix would work out best is because of the success of series like Pretty Cure and Friendship is Magic. Both place a large emphasis on friendship and teamwork and have adorable character designs, while simultaneously having enough action and adventure to appeal to a broad audience. (Seriously, have you seen the final battle of MLP season 4? Hardcore.)

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
This style of series is most popular in Japan (MLP is a special case), but in Europe, in France at least, nearly no one likes this style of "Japan/cute/kawaii", but strangely most games with moe chara-design but more... explicit are accepted.

"Ah on peut dire qu'elle est belle la France !'

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Then France is lame. Lip would go over just fine in America. ^^

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Was the Exploding Lift mechanic first seen in Pokemon Puzzle Challenge used for Panel de Pon GC? I'm asking cause I never owned Panel de Pon GC since it never got a US release.

Update: I've been received word our first winner for our Smash Ballot thanks to Matt Bozon tweeting this out. The winner is the Half-Genie Half-Hero herself... SHANTAE!!!
But don't cry Panel Poppers! We still got time to put our votes for Lip in until October 3rd!
So there is still hope to get Lip in the game, so don't despair! Let's give it all we got!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Thanks for the spoilers, Matt. -.-

It's cool. After Lip, Shantae was my second most wanted for DLC. I'd already voted for Lippy when they sent out a progress update for HGH telling people to vote for Shantae and I was all "nooo guys don't do this ><".

Really, Shantae is hardly mainstream, so if anything, that bodes extremely well for Lip.
Let's keep giving it all we've got!

Edit: Hmm... I tracked down his "See you in Smash" tweet here, and unfortunately, it seems like the kind of thing people are reading wayyy too much into. Context is pretty important here. It looks more like, based on the fact that Pirate's Curse is sharing promotional space with big names like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Zelda, he's making a jokey half-serious comment along the lines of "Well shoot, if Shantae gets put up right next to Mario Kart 8, we've got a pretty good chance at Smash Bros. too!" Plus, this really seems like the kind of thing that would warrant a non-disclosure agreement, and Bozon could get in pretty serious trouble if that's legitimate foreshadowing.

I'd love for it to happen (not as much as Lip though!), but... I don't know. It seems unlikely.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
You're right. This thread is also starting to get outdated, so I think we need more Panel Poppers so Lip can get voted in Smash Bros., otherwise, Puzzle League's future will be doomed!!!
It's almost June, so I think now is the best time to find others who are familiar with the Puzzle League franchise and/or Lip's Stick.
I promised not to let Lip or the Puzzle League series down, and with my help, all of us will fulfill that promise.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You're right. This thread is also starting to get outdated, so I think we need more Panel Poppers so Lip can get voted in Smash Bros., otherwise, Puzzle League's future will be doomed!!!
It's almost June, so I think now is the best time to find others who are familiar with the Puzzle League franchise and/or Lip's Stick.
I promised not to let Lip or the Puzzle League series down, and with my help, all of us will fulfill that promise.
You really like Puzzle League... like to a weird level, no offense.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
None taken. I do love Puzzle League. I play Tetris Attack on the SNES just for 2P VS. Mode alone by adjusting the CPU level for Player 2 to level 7, to get myself prepared and ready for the next Puzzle League games. IF they'll be announced at the Nintendo Digital Event.

Plus, I can guarantee you we'll get Pokemon Puzzle League, Dr. Mario & Puzzle League, and Planet Puzzle League will all come to the Wii U eShop, so I can get warmed up for online multiplayer.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I f***ing love it. Tetris Attack is an absolutely amazing game, as is Panel de Pon (well, they are basically the same game with minor tweaks... and replacing the characters...)

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
I f***ing love it. Tetris Attack is an absolutely amazing game, as is Panel de Pon (well, they are basically the same game with minor tweaks... and replacing the characters...)
I love Tetris Attack too, so I think we need more Panel Poppers, and more players who are familiar with Lip's Stick to show our support for Lip, otherwise, Panel de Pon will NEVER return!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Honestly, WolfBunny, I wish there were more fairy fans with your passion. ^^

CH4F

Smash Cadet
This style of series is most popular in Japan (MLP is a special case), but in Europe, in France at least, nearly no one likes this style of "Japan/cute/kawaii", but strangely most games with moe chara-design but more... explicit are accepted.
No. Everything is accepted, here. We don't have a different mainstream taste of videogames in France, compared to USA. Same problems in both country, here.
Puzzle, and arcade game as a whole, is a dying genre. Not because everybody's stupid and wants to buy the new Call of FIFA Auto Cry every year, but arcade games is a routine genre. Every players wants always something new and shiny, they don't wat to watch the same graphisms every mounth, just to be good, cute or not.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
No. Everything is accepted, here. We don't have a different mainstream taste of videogames in France, compared to USA. Same problems in both country, here.
Puzzle, and arcade game as a whole, is a dying genre. Not because everybody's stupid and wants to buy the new Call of FIFA Auto Cry every year, but arcade games is a routine genre. Every players wants always something new and shiny, they don't wat to watch the same graphisms every mounth, just to be good, cute or not.
GTA 5 is actually a good game. It isn't released yearly and Rockstar actually puts in... get this... effort. I thought it was a fantastic game.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
WARNING! NEW ICON APPROACHING! Do you love it? This will help up Lip's chances to show my appreciation to the Puzzle League franchise. Fairy power all the way!

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Why not a hashtag for Lip?

#BlockTheVote? And the icon can be a garbage block?
That sounds very creative, my awareness poster has "#Lip4Smash". Which is easier for people to know what character we're talking about, i'm really worried about people not getting who we're talking about if we go for something more creative without Lip's name in it.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
That could be great if many people could have just an idea of the character without going on Google.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The K. Rool hashtag is actually "KroctheVote". The only problem with "BlocktheVote" is it seems to imply outright blocking the vote, so... yeah I'm not sure on that...

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
The K. Rool hashtag is actually "KroctheVote". The only problem with "BlocktheVote" is it seems to imply outright blocking the vote, so... yeah I'm not sure on that...
Context matters, I think everyone who reads that hashtag is going to want to look into its context.

We should also accompany it with promotional images featuring Lip dropping garbage blocks or swapping panels.

If it's really a problem we could also use #SwapTheVote or #PopTheVote...

Top Bottom