• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

D

Deleted member

Unsure, I admit mine could've had a better contrast (dunno why, but it seems brighter here than when watching it in an image viewer), but yours still has a bit of a too high contrast in parts. Let's take a look at Lip's PdP sprite, as you said you took your colors from there:

Notice how the truly dark parts are only the outline most of the time? Especially noticeable when it comes to the hair or the puffy shoulders. The shading blends in much more with the base color here. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the contrast is too heavy in certain parts, it's missing a smooth transition. In fact, the hair, shirt and skin is what bothers me the most. Also you still gotta fix the flower on her shirt, I noticed I uploaded a somewhat outdated pic there.

But that's just my personal opinion, different people have different styles and there's nothing wrong with it. As for me, I tried making an RPG sprite yesterday... it didn't turn out pretty at all. The typical RPG Maker style just doesn't do it for me, so maybe I'll take the easy way and revamp my old Cirno sprites and then make a PdP edit outta them. But first I have to get rid of the stupid JPG artifacts.

Another alternative would be me finishing the Furil or Lip model and try my hand at making pre-rendered sprites. Not sure how good that would look, as I still wanna keep a cartoony optic. Not to mention, depending on the size, a new model would have to be made anyway, with a bigger head and smaller body for visibility (shouldn't be too hard as it can be fairly low-poly). Guess it could still be worth to try it out at least, I think there should be a few good toon shaders for 3DS Max on the web. Not to mention 3d models have the advantage that it's easy to make sprites in various poses and alternative costumes. Downside is that, well, the models would have to be created first. But I mean, everyone loves costumes, right? Hehe.

I have a few other things in mind as well already, but it's getting a bit too long at this point, I should try out what I said above first and stop rambling.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Taking a bit of a break from Mario Maker to do something else.

I just did these for fun. I may make a sprite animation out of them later, though.

edit: Fixed the hammer a little bit.

edit 2:

Some of you may realize where I'm going with these.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
This is digging up a bit of an old chestnut, but I really do want for us to call out Nintendo on their sexism in not only not localizing Panel de Pon as it was supposed to be localized, but never even considering it, even to this day. As I've said, Kirby and Yoshi and Pikmin are all adorable series, but they mostly or entirely star male characters, so Nintendo isn't worried about localizing and selling them unedited. Panepon's largely female cast meant they had to go.

For a while I wanted so badly to believe Nintendo had changed. I wanted to think they weren't still convinced games with female majority casts wouldn't sell. I even thought Splatoon was a glimmer of hope for us, even if it was a tiny one, because if it sold well internationally (and boy did it ever!), with its adorable character designs and focus on female characters, then Nintendo would have absolutely no excuse for not making a new Panepon. But they haven't changed, and it looks like unless we do something soon, they never will. Edit 2: Please disregard this paragraph. Like the following Miiverse post, I was really feeling down when I wrote it.

edit: Here's a post I made concerning the lack of a Costume Mario Lip, if anyone wants to check it out. Be warned that I was upset and sad and angry when I wrote it, and it really shows.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
To compensate for all that angst, here's a little sneak preview of something:

(still have to change the palette)

16x32 pixels is so confining. When I get back to work on the Mario World hack, I really oughta see about increasing the player's sprite size.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, remember this?

I don't think I've shown any progress of it this year... not like there was much anyway. But I pretty much spent most of the day working on it again, mostly a lot of UV mapping and texturing stuff, but also some small changes that can't be seen unless you zoom very far in. Not fun at all... But it's in a much more presentable state now than what can be seen above.
So at this point, I'm nearly done with the body, only missing the giant strand of hair on the head, the end of the ponytail and the ribbon. Also still gotta have to connect the ears to the head and then finish the texture work. On a more positive note, at least the hair swirl is correct this time, I never noticed that it was wrong on the old model until today. The swirl goes downward, not upward... Also I think she actually looks pretty cute without the giant ribbon.

Afterwards it's time for the clothes and... ugh... skirt. That's gonna be a real pain again, can't I just giver her pants and call it a day?

On a sidenote, I messed around with the different renders a bit and I think I fell in love with this one. It just needs some color adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's adorable, Tai! Especially the cel-shaded one!

Something I'd like to see is a 3D model that's more in line with the art style of the games. Like something Nintendo would make for Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Well, I got lazy so I didn't do much today (and nothing at all yesterday), but here's still some progress. It's basically just finishing the hair, doing some more texture work and add the ribbon (sans texture though).

I also finally added some scene light which makes renders looks better, never really bothered with that before. I'm still trying to find a nice color for the ambiance though.

Something I'd like to see is a 3D model that's more in line with the art style of the games. Like something Nintendo would make for Smash Bros.
I-I'm trying... I'm just not that good sadly.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I got lazy so I didn't do much today (and nothing at all yesterday), but here's still some progress. It's basically just finishing the hair, doing some more texture work and add the ribbon (sans texture though).

I also finally added some scene light which makes renders looks better, never really bothered with that before. I'm still trying to find a nice color for the ambiance though.

Looks better than any other take I've ever seen on a 3D model of Lip....and I think your take IS the first.........

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I thought it was supposed to be Furil at first with the curly ponytail (I assumed the part in the back was supposed to be a ponytail), but the hair style you're going for does look more like Lip's. Furil has two curly bits on the left and right, and Lip has a curly bit on the left and a flippy-doo on the right.

It's technically not the first (it's not Tai's first either), but the only official 3D model of Lip so far is the one from Captain Rainbow, which has heavily stylized proportions and is basically unusable outside of the game's context. I swear you could kill someone with those ears.

D

Deleted member

Looks better than any other take I've ever seen on a 3D model of Lip....and I think your take IS the first.........
It's not difficult to be the best at something when you are the only one doing it.

but the hair style you're going for does look more like Lip's. Furil has two curly bits on the left and right, and Lip has a curly bit on the left and a flippy-doo on the right.
>implying I don't know the difference
>implying I haven't brought them up before myself
>greentexting on SB

In all seriousness, I don't know why you felt the need to point out something so obvious. I'm perfectly aware of the difference between Lip and Furil. The hair is, like, the biggest difference between those two. Not saying it's the only difference, but the biggest, the others are minor 5-minute changes.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Oh my. This is really cute. The second one looks quite at home with Smash 4's style, I think. Great work.
I think this is the only proper lip model out there?

And I tried to make a SMM Lip.
lip big.png

I based it on the Yuu Ayasaki one. I think it's nice for a first try.
(Apologies for the flower. I couldn't draw it for the life of me)

:231:

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's technically not the first (it's not Tai's first either), but the only official 3D model of Lip so far is the one from Captain Rainbow, which has heavily stylized proportions and is basically unusable outside of the game's context. I swear you could kill someone with those ears.
Oh, God....please not THAT abomination....:urg:

It's not difficult to be the best at something when you are the only one doing it.
Heh.....good point there....:rolleyes:

Oh my. This is really cute. The second one looks quite at home with Smash 4's style, I think. Great work.

View attachment 103787

Oh, wow. That's really cute. Aside from Lip's Stick, this really IS good for a first try.

D

Deleted member

I've always been unsatisfied with the head, so my intention is to make a new one and if needed, even completely from scratch (hey, ya can't learn when you don't try), so I'm not sure how long that'll take. Right now I'm using a head from one of the Neptunia games and while the shape is OK...ish, not only are they fairly high-poly on account of being PS3 games, but the faces themselves are mostly "flat" with eyes and mouth just textured one. So pretty much like Ness in Brawl.

Now my biggest problem isn't that I don't know where to start, but finding a good reference picture. As we all know, Lip ain't got one of those fancy anime character reference pictures, so I went looking for a more generic "catch all" one. This was the best I could fine, but even that would still need some adjustments later one due to Lip's head being more "boxshaped". Unless we use the playing field backgrounds as an example, which is far less chibi-like.

And... I guess right now I'm kinda at a point where I wanna continue but don't know how. Well, anyone here got 2 cents to spare? In other words, anyone wanna voice their opinion on this? I'm kinda in a dead end right now, because I wanna finish the body before moving on the clothes. And I can't re-do the hair flip either (which looks like crap as I was kinda in a hurry), because I need the head due to its shape first.

Thanks, but if she were a Smash 4 character, she would at least have proper hair, hehe. Right now it's just a flat 4x4 texture. But yes, so far I've only seen the Lip models I made... and Captain Rainbow's, and we all know how that one looks.

View attachment 103787

Ah, Yuu Ayasaki, where Google's first result is a character from an Eroge, to the confusion of many people. But I digress, that's a really cute Lip, like, really cute.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I could try drawing up a quick reference picture of Lip if you think it'd help you. I think at this point I draw Lip facing right more than I do facing left, so it should be a good frame of reference.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the offer, but the problem is more that I dunno in what style I should make the head, hence me asking for opinions. Seeing as there seem to be none, I'll probably just toss a coin so that I can finally move one.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd suggest making the head as close as you can to the artwork.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That first one was tragic, how could you. How dare you.

But then I listened to the third one... All is forgiven.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That last one was great. I see more people are doing their high quality rips, which is nice.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My laptop is dead and I'm not sure when (or if) I'll be able to get the files on it back, so unfortunately, the SMB2 hack is postponed until further notice. But I am on the computer with the Mario World hack on it. I'm not currently in the mood to work on it, but that's a positive, at least.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You can never run into the ground what was never being run into the ground in the first place. : P

I actually made something along these lines on my old laptop before it died completely. It's a bit more serious than what you're doing though only just. Here it is if you want to listen to it.

Muffet is actually one of my favorite characters in the game.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
We were talking about "the CalArts Style" in a Skype group I'm in, and, well:

(Or: Lip vs. the Forces of Evil)

D

Deleted member

Does anyone here still have the link to the old official Panepon site? Or even better, the artwork directly? I need it because of reasons and silly old me lost them.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Mmm. So Nintendo's announced that the NX is coming out next year... which means another fairyless console generation has come and gone for us...

That's two generations in a row, which is two too many for me.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If any of you regulars have Skype and want to join a group I and a few friends have set up, send me a PM! We're always looking for more members.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Because it's more of a general series discussion than one focused primarily on gameplay. : P

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I meant in the sense that Discord is just all around better and easier to set up than Skype. But alright.

D

Deleted member

I'm actually surprised people still use Skype. I don't think I've heard anything positive about that in years. But then again, I'm way too shy for random skyping, chatrooms, etc. so what do I know...

Anyway, as for why I asked for the links to the artwork, that's why:
I'm honestly not sure what it's gonna be. On one hand, I do wanna revamp the Brawl stage, on the other hand, making the stage size acceptable means you can't have many details and it feels cramped. Not too mention the house is way too small when compared to the characters. I know Smash tends to take liberties, but I'd rather not go to such an extreme.

Well, right now I'm concentrating on finishing the house with interior. Not sure what's next.

CH4F

Smash Cadet
I'd prefer a Discord, more than a Skype group. I quitted Skype and I don't wanna come back.
If any of you wanna create a server, I'll join it. Also, there is already a Panel de Pon server, but much more focused on gameplay and speedruns than on fairies. And the creator of this one wanted to make it a more general puzzle game server, so...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't have Discord on this computer, and I don't like the idea of making a Discord group for several reasons:

1. The group I'm in has been established for some time now (at least six months by my count).
2. I'd have to download Discord, and this computer already has memory issues. This leads into
3. I don't even know if this computer can run Discord (if it's powerful enough, if Discord is compatible with Vista). This won't be an issue once I get my new laptop, but for now...
4. I'd be downloading an entirely new program just for one group.
5. As mentioned, Discord is more of a gamer-chat app, and like CH4F brought up, the existing Panepon group is less a "Panepon group" and more a Puzzle League group, if you understand the distinction.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Discord prides itself in not being a memory hog, so there's that.

EDIT: Discord apparently needs Windows 7 or higher (I'd question why you are on Vista anyway, but whatever), but you can use the web version through your browser.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, uhm... I did a thing. Not sure if the timing's good with all the Discord talk going on, but eh...
And before anyone asks, no, this is not an image edit, it's fully working and without crashes (at least so far). I don't really feel like going into detail right now due to lack of time, so if there's anything unclear, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer it later.

Top Bottom