• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd say unlockable. How she'd be unlocked, I'm not sure (beyond the alternate "play X Vs. matches" requirement every unlockable character has had since Melee). Isn't Bowser Jr. unlocked in 3DS by beating Classic Mode with Bowser over a certain difficulty? Maybe clearing Classic mode with Dr. Mario on 5 or above.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd say unlockable. How she'd be unlocked, I'm not sure (beyond the alternate "play X Vs. matches" requirement every unlockable character has had since Melee). Isn't Bowser Jr. unlocked in 3DS by beating Classic Mode with Bowser over a certain difficulty? Maybe clearing Classic mode with Dr. Mario on 5 or above.
Well....re-quoting what I said last night:

Only thing I can think of a the moment is complete some Captain Olimar-inspired event match or collect a certain amount of trophies, similar to R.O.B's unlock method in Brawl and Smash 4. The trophy idea is due to her obscurity and I noticed it would be a bit odd if Dr. Mario, Yoshi, or Pikachu had to do something specific to unlock her.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I figured it would make sense if Dr. Mario was involved somehow since they're both puzzle game characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I figured it would make sense if Dr. Mario was involved somehow since they're both puzzle game characters.
Oh, I understand. But considering Lip's obscurity across the world, no one would get the reference as to why DR. MARIO has to do something specific to unlock her. I'm not saying your idea's bad, that's simply why I personally would go for the trophy option.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's fair. Some of the unlocking conditions can seem kind of arbitrary though (Dr. Mario for clearing a Master Orders ticket? Maybe it was meant to be a "Doctor's orders" pun?), so I don't think it would cause that much confusion.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Interesting choices. I like that Bomberman, Snake and Banjo-Kazooie give it at least a little bit of variance so it's not all Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 It's good to know to know that most people want Banjo and Kazooie, Bomberman (three characters who don't stand a ghost of a chance anymore, the former two being Microsoft-owned and the latter being currently owned by a company that's more interested in slot machines than video games), Krystal, and a new Mii class of all goddamn things over Lip. :I At least Shantae's in the top 20...

(For what it's worth, if you weed out the characters owned by rival companies, Mii costumes, and assist trophies, Lip is hovering around 70 or 71, so at least she's in the top 75? Small victories count too.)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As much as I don't want to admit it, we should at least be glad for this.
Definitely much higher than I thought she would ever be.

...It's hard to tell whether I'm being a pessimist or a realist when it comes to anything to do with the Panel de Pon fairies anymore. I miss 'em obviously, and I'd kill (not literally) for a new game with Lip as the main character, but circumstances seem to be conspiring against that dream, and have been for a while now.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Well, Microsoft has stated that they would allow Banjo & Kazooie to be in Smash. With their blessing, there's nothing stopping it from happening. Nintendo would have to be okay with it, but if both parties agreed then there wouldn't be any problems. MS stated they've worked with Nintendo on some releases before.

An important thing to keep in mind is that this sample size of people who voted is actually exceedingly small compared to the vast majority of people who voted. The statistics could be drastically different when you take into consideration hundreds of thousands, or possibly millions of votes. I'd have to imagine not many people knew about the sourcegaming poll, and even if they did, that doesn't mean they participated.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah. I know I probably didn't convince many people to vote for Lip through F Yeah Panel de Pon due to its low profile, but the ones that did probably didn't know about the Sourcegaming poll... her final placement there wouldn't have been affected that much if at all if they did, though.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It means they're at least reading it, and know that Lip has fans that want to see her Smashified.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They favorite every tweet they receive. It doesn't mean anything.
This is actually false, they only favorite most tweets. I know some tweets I've made did not get favorited, but there's no consistency as to which ones they don't favorite, so it definitely doesn't mean anything.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Going back to the Kirby comparisons from a couple of pages ago, it's interesting to think about why Nintendo thought, or maybe knew, Kirby - and to some extent his predecessor Lolo - would be a successful franchise internationally, to the point where they didn't even bother to hide his cuteness on the box art, and why they didn't put that same faith in Panel de Pon.

According to an article on the subject, Nintendo of America works together with their Japanese branch and Hal Laboratory so they have a better idea of what sells the game best in different regions. In Japan, of course, the games are popular because the main character is an adorable pink marshmallow creature. Internationally, the games are popular because the main character is an adorable pink marshmallow creature who also kicks major amounts of ass. This is the reason for that period of time from around 2003-2011 when Kirby had a serious facial expression on international, or at least North American, box arts.

Looking back, there was nothing keeping them from doing the same thing with the fairies, and the box art for Tetris Attack shows no mascot characters either way. There's plenty of official artwork with the fairies being "hardcore" - just look at my avatar. There's nothing keeping them from doing it now, in fact. If they're still worried a game with Lip on the front cover will flop just because she's a cute girl (certainly not a rational fear anymore with the recent popularity of games, indie and otherwise, starring cute female protagonists), why not just show her and a few of her friends fighting a monster?

PsychoJosh

A PDP game would probably do better in the west today than it would've in the 90s, as there seems to be greater demand for games centered around female protagonists who cater to females.

Splatoon made a killing precisely because of its cute squid girls. There's no reason a digital re-release of PDP couldn't do well now.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
Due to the popularity of games like Arcana Heart or Idolmaster, there is no reason for Panel de Pon could'nt work in occident (or, maybe because it's lack of fan-service ? Meh...).

The cover of the game show it, Lip is a cute girl but also a cute BADASS girl.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
In my mind, her ideal moveset would incorporate the pop effect for many of her attacks. Like if you use a directional attack (neutral attacks are excluded) it sends out pops in that direction. For example, here's what her aerial attacks would be like;

Additionally, it could work for FTilt, UTilt, SSmash, and USmash.
One reason I'd like this is because it accurately represents a gameplay mechanic of Panel de Pon (unlike Lip's Stick.) It also makes her feel more like a "magician" type character, since she uses the wand to cast magic rather than using it like a battering item.
If they appeared as the exact sprites from the SNES, that would be awesome. And if you pick an alt color, the sprite would change to match a different fairy's pop effect.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If it caters to a niche then it will do well.
It doesn't need to cater to a niche to do well. Splatoon has a similar cutesy aesthetic to Panel de Pon, but most players don't care because it's just plain fun. Likewise, catering to a niche isn't a guaranteed success; Codename STEAM was one giant love letter to the steampunk subculture, and American/European culture to a lesser extent, and it got almost as big a marketing push as Splatoon. One went on to become a killer app for its system, selling over a million copies in just one month, and is so immensely popular (especially for a new IP) that its mascots are only behind Wolf in the Source Gaming character polls. (I'd be lying if I said I didn't want them in!) The other is a strong candidate for a Captain Rainbow cameo, or would be if most of the characters were actually owned by Nintendo, and is all but forgotten not even a year after its release.

The reason is simple: worldwide appeal. Japanese people love Splatoon for its adorable squid-kids, Western people love Splatoon for its goofy, non-serious '90s throwback theme, and everyone loves it for its fast-paced addicting gameplay. STEAM appeals to Western players with its American comic book art style and its heavy use of American and European historical and culural figures, and it appeals to Japanese players with... ... ...Marth? I guess?

I think if Panel de Pon appeals to both a general/"Western" audience and the moe/"Japanese" audience at the same time (like say, being fun and funny while also being genuinely upbeat and unabashed in its cuteness... I keep making this comparison, but My Little Pony is a great frame of reference), it'll sell really well. An RPG or a Zelda-style action-adventure game, something with plenty of dialogue that will really let the girls' personalities shine through, in particular.

In my mind, her ideal moveset would incorporate the pop effect for many of her attacks. Like if you use a directional attack (neutral attacks are excluded) it sends out pops in that direction. For example, here's what her aerial attacks would be like;
[image]
Additionally, it could work for FTilt, UTilt, SSmash, and USmash.
One reason I'd like this is because it accurately represents a gameplay mechanic of Panel de Pon (unlike Lip's Stick.) It also makes her feel more like a "magician" type character, since she uses the wand to cast magic rather than using it like a battering item.
If they appeared as the exact sprites from the SNES, that would be awesome. And if you pick an alt color, the sprite would change to match a different fairy's pop effect.
This is a really clever idea! I wrote my Composite Moveset to have Lip use fairy dust, like the kind that comes out of the Lip's Stick item, in some of her attacks, but now I'm really wishing I thought of this. I especially like the concept of the visual effect changing depending on what costume you're using.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
A week from tomorrow (oops! D: ) is the big two-oh. Panel de Pon being the third-string franchise it is, I wouldn't expect any kind of official celebration, but I am curious to know if any of you guys have anything planned.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Tomorrow is the big two-oh. Panel de Pon being the third-string franchise it is, I wouldn't expect any kind of official celebration, but I am curious to know if any of you guys have anything planned.
I didn't even know it was tomorrow. Would love some acknowledgement but I don't see it happening. Not sure what I'd do either. I don't really have access to the good PDP games without using emulators, and they're just not the same.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I didn't even know it was tomorrow. Would love some acknowledgement but I don't see it happening. Not sure what I'd do either. I don't really have access to the good PDP games without using emulators, and they're just not the same.
I messed up. It's actually the 27th that's the 20th anniversary of Panel de Pon, not the 20th.

The original PDP is one of the good games. Since it has Lip in it, I'd argue it's the best. : P An emulator is pretty much the only economical way to play any Panel de Pon game, since it's never been released over here (unedited...) and to play it on an actual console would require buying a Japanese Super Famicom and hunting down a long out-of-print cartridge. It's illegal and, like you said, it's not the same, but what choice do we have?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, I know its good, I did say "without using emulators" lol. I'd have to use a 360 controller or something like that.

EDIT: If it'd be supported with ZSNES.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Not only that but there's a hacked fan translation of Panel De Pon floating around, you should get that one. All it does is change the characters to English characters and translates the dialogue and menus.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not only that but there's a hacked fan translation of Panel De Pon floating around, you should get that one. All it does is change the characters to English characters and translates the dialogue and menus.
Oh, I do have that lol.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
A week from tomorrow (oops! D: ) is the big two-oh. Panel de Pon being the third-string franchise it is, I wouldn't expect any kind of official celebration, but I am curious to know if any of you guys have anything planned.
Hello everyone; it's been a long while. Sorry that I haven't been around these forums for a long while, I've suffered quite a few laptop issues... and also forgot my password to my account here. Anything particularly interesting happen whilst I was gone?

In any case, it's funny you should ask that, as I do actually have something planned to celebrate Panel De Pon's 20th anniversary. I've been intending to make a trivia video for Lip, Panel De Pon, and the Puzzle League series; a sort Did You Know Gaming style of video. It will be a nice way to celebrate Panel De Pon by ourselves, as well as a nice way to inform people about the series.

Of course, if any of you wish to help me by providing trivia and facts, or giving me permission to include any of the Panel De Pon fan artwork I know many of you are capable of in the video, that would be greatly appreciated. I could probably scrounge up enough details by myself but I'm sure this forum could certainly provide them quicker, as well as more interesting facts or rumours I might not know about.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I would hope that Intelligent Systems would do something special, but I get the uneasy feeling that they're more focused on Fire Emblem than anything at the moment...
They still put her in Planet Puzzle League. So she's not completely forgotten.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I...thought she was barely mentioned in that game. Matter of fact, isn't that the latest Puzzle League game so far? When was it made? 2007?:(
She is barely mentioned in the latest, but she is still in it in an unlockable (Japan-only) theme you can play on.

Yeah, I it was 2007.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
As I've said many, many times before, Planet Puzzle League is a perfect storm of design decisions seemingly made to infuriate fans of the series, and especially the characters.

RouffWestie RouffWestie : That avatar is perfect X )

Last edited:
Top Bottom