• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was thinking that I would like the other fairies from Panel de Pon to be Lip's alts similarly to how the Koopalings are Bowser Jr.'s alts.

Maybe we should start asking Nintendo to bring the original Panel de Pon (with languages localized) to the Wii U eShop outside of Japan?
I thought the very same thing! Lip having her fairy friends as alt. skins would be a great idea! Just like Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The challenge I've found in creating a Lip-with-alts-of-the-other-fairies moveset is that, since they'd presumably be sharing animations between themselves, you have to take all of the characters and their personalities into account. You have to ask yourself, basically, "Would Lip do/say this? What about Windy? Or Elias?" Flare wouldn't giggle like Lip or Windy would, but Thiana wouldn't be as haughty as Seren would either. After a while, you start to understand just why they stuck Junior and company in a clown copter. (But that's the easy way out!)

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Yeah, I'd honestly rather have the other fairies as simple palette swaps. They're super duper obscure in the big picture anyway. The Koopalings are rather iconic and popular so they're understandable.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I see where you're coming from. It would be nice to see the other fairies get some love, but they'd be much more likely to cameo as an alternate palette or a trophy.

(Plus, of course, I really would take anything at this point...)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Even if it's unlikely, it's still good to show your support however you can. Lip needs all the help she can get, and now more than ever.

Last edited:

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello there!

Lip&Co should not be that hard to realise as characters. I mean ,sure would they all share one Idle animation and such, but at least they would be playable and there are still ways to distinguish them on a more or less programmer-friedly-level like slightly different taunts or the blockclearing animation of the respective fairy for potential attacks which involve blocks/garbageblocks.

I think Mii-Brawler would fit pretty good as "Idle inspiration". I think with Lip's Stick as an item they should all fight unarmed! But hey ,they have their respective element as a weapon. (Charkter rule applied: just cosmetic; like Flare's fire don't ignite bombs, Sharbet's ice don't freeze)

Taunts which I have in mind are:

Uptaunt: Lip turns to the "audience" while she hold both hands outstretched next to each other. Suddenly a stack of three blocks appears on each hand (a combination for a basic 6 combo) ,while Lip looks guessing left an right a Panel de Pon cursor appears over her shoulder and moves fast to the blocks (Like the cursor in Panel de Pon at the beginn of a round) and clears them; in Lip's case with her petal animation. After that she returns to idle.

Sidetaunt: Lip shows a "cold shoulder" to the "audience" (not direct but just for easier clarifiction) while she clences both fists with a confident face expression after 0,5 seconds Lip unbent her grip and release two flowers which fly away harmless while she smiles. (Facial expression and generated "stuff" could be perfectly adjusted on every of Lip's friends). After that she returns to idle.

Downtaunt: Lip whirls with her arm (like she do when she builds up a chain in Panel de Pon but due unarmed without her stick) then she moves to Lip's P2/ VS CPU background stance say her attack word like when she perform a chain or combo. After that she returns to idle. [Admittedly ,here would more "dev" work be involved ,on the other hand its also subject of change].

So far my minds again. Have a good time everyone!

LipFlare

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
A translated patch for the Panel de Pon rom has been floating around the internet for about 5 years now. Not hard to find if you go and look for it.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
That Yellow Shirt... that brown hair... that flower based theme.

Is Lip a young Daisy?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Lip's much more of a redhead than a brunette.

She is a princess though, and is stated to be tomboyish.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Lip's much more of a redhead than a brunette.

She is a princess though, and is stated to be tomboyish.
I've seen Daisy's hair be Lip's shade of brownish red before. In fact, in a lot of earlier games when she was 'younger'.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip also has a much less annoying voice.

A quick survey of her official art shows that she started off kind of ginger, then had dark brown hair in the N64 era and shifted back into a lighter brown around Double Dash (and also was basically Peach with a different hair color and a yellow dress until then). She was never even close to Lip's reddish-brown shade.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hahaha, wow. Rayman and Commander Video get trophies and Lip still doesn't even get the time of day. Even though she was IN CAPTAIN RAINBOW. Disgraceful. And you guys said Nintendo didn't hate the fairies.

There's not thinking a franchise has any market and then there's deliberately ignoring any potential marketing potential a franchise may have because you hate it, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out which this is.

**** you Nintendo for showing more love to indie games than your own flesh and blood, and don't ****ing pretend the game wouldn't sell in the U.S. or Europe over ONE GODDAMN TROPHY you sacks of ****.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You're very hot on fire today N. Onymous.

That was kind of expected to say the least, Sakurai can't make every character from every franchise a trophy. :p

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
You're very hot on fire today N. Onymous. :p

That was kind of expected to say the least, he can't make every character from every franchise a trophy. :p
For Panel de Pon to have been around for almost 20 years now and for it to still not have any "face" representation, fighters, assist tropies, or regular trophies, is absolutely inexcusable in my view. Someone up there must hate the fairies with every fiber of their being.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Wow, such anger.
Well of course I'm pissed. I honestly thought things would be different this time. I believed that this would be the time Panel de Pon finally gets the recognition and love it deserves. And what do we get this time? One item, one song (lazily C&Ped from Brawl), and nothing else. Again.

I guess I'd better cancel any hopes I had that the fairies would get any sort of international recognition, hell just recognition period, within my lifetime. As long as some Nintendo bigwig hates it, they'd rather deliberately ignore marketing potential and the prospect of money if it means having to dig up those awful, horrid, despicable fairies again. This is the status quo, and no movement or hashtag or anything will change it. We're lower than dirt in Nintendo's eyes. They love their nostalgia, they love all their franchises, except Panel de Pon. Because they hate it. They simply do, and they simply always will.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Both of which are only there because of the grandfather clause. What acknowledgement have we gotten outside of Smash Bros. lately? One Virtual Console release?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't say Panel de Pon got the shortest end of the stick to be honest. Golden Sun hardly has anything else but two pieces of music, or Kururin doesn't even have its trophy or Assist Trophy anymore. (As far as I know at least)

Sure Panel de Pon got pretty little, but I wouldn't say that it's a series that they are trampling over. There are a few that got a bit less imo. (or nothing at all)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I understand the disappointment, but getting angry isn't going to help one bit. I disagree with a lot of decisions taken for Smash 4 (like cutting Jill's AT from the game for no reason whatsoever), but all I can do is suck it up and deal with it. Lip not being playable, not being an AT and not having at a trophy sucks, but... we have to deal with it, too.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Remind yourself that least Jill and Isaac and Helirin got assists and had trophies at some point. Lip wasn't so lucky.

Panel de Pon is a series with a mountain of potential that's being completely squandered by bias, and that for me is worse than not being acknowledged at all.

like cutting Jill's AT from the game for no reason whatsoever
Oh, there was a reason, all right: $$$$$

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wouldn't say Panel de Pon got the shortest end of the stick to be honest. Golden Sun hardly has anything else but two pieces of music, or Kururin doesn't even have its trophy or Assist Trophy anymore. (As far as I know at least)

Sure Panel de Pon got pretty little, but I wouldn't say that it's a series that they are trampling over. There are a few that got a bit less imo. (or nothing at all)
Well, yeah, but GS having two music tracks is still more than one item from Panel de Pon.

Oh, well, Lip's Theme IS still in the game...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Where's the bias from Nintendo? Why would there be bias at all?
Why did For Frogs the Bell Tolls, a game that's arguably more obscure than Panel de Pon, get an Assist Trophy, while Panel de Pon still only has one item (and a trophy with a generic description)? Why did Nintendo replace the characters in their first two outings and explicitly delete Lip from the otherwise-fairlyless third? Why have we been having a seven-year drought of fairies since Planet?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't know the exact reason. Perhaps Sakurai wanted to give the portable franchise more exposure, he can't make every character an AT, perhaps there are limits when it comes to the AT amount.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
It is disappointing to hear that Lip lacks any further representation outside of the song and Lip's Stick item. I figured with Captain Rainbow's cameo of her, and the inclusion of a Captain Rainbow trophy, that we'd at least have a trophy of Lip within the game. It does also seem rather daft to have the Lip's Stick item and then no mention of the actual owner of said item.

Still, I do think you might be exaggerating just a tiny bit, N. Onymous. I don't think Nintendo have any measure of hatred towards Lip and fairies, perhaps an opinion that they might not be well received or a preference for focusing on other characters/IPs at this moment, but not hatred.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't see how $$ affects her exclusion. :/
Almost everything about the new games seems to be a shallow attempt at advertising recent Nintendo series. Sure, they're fun enough and all, but every decision made in the development of that game and its roster was done with cold, calculating business in mind. Even Duck Hunt's reveal trailer was accompanied at the end by "OH YEAH DUCK HUNT WII U VC AVAILABLE NOW ONLY $4.99 HEHEH". They had no future plans for Drill Dozer, so Jill had to go.

perhaps an opinion that they might not be well received or a preference for focusing on other characters/IPs at this moment, but not hatred.
Thinking that Panel de Pon would be a hard sell in the 1990s is reasonable. Thinking that it would be a hard sell here in the 2010s, where Japan is huge and My Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, and countless others are time and time again proving that just because something is girly and/or cute doesn't make it bad, is either stupidity or hatred, subconscious or otherwise.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm somewhat outraged Captain Rainbow only has two trophies.
I mean seriously?? That had so many classic characters that could have been reintroduced to the general public!

No Lip trophy is saddening, yes. Though if truly was "hatred" that kept her from reappearing, we'd have lost her Wand and Theme as well. Kirby's Garbage Block easter egg would probably be gone too, but it's not so yeah. If the Prince of Sable is able to be an assist trophy, I hope Lip can follow suite in the next game in like six years. Otherwise, I'll just hope she shows up in a quality Smash fan game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm done getting my hopes up for anything where Lip and friends are concerned. Unless Intelligent Systems decides to put something, anything out for the 20th (they won't), it's about time I accepted that the fairies are gone and it'll take a major shake-up to the status quo for that to change.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There's SSF2 left, the additions are more focused on Nintendo franchises that don't have as much prominence as DK, Mario, and Starfox. So far they added Isaac and Chibi Robo, perhaps we'll see Lip there, uniqueness is actually their main factor when it comes to additions.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Super Smash Flash also features characters from InuYasha, Death Note, Bleach, and other anime series for no good reason except "heheh, hey, wouldn't it be cool if you could play as Ichigo?", which is explicitly something that will never be in an official SSB game. Also, OCs. I've heard 2 is a major improvement over 1 at least (i.e no Mr. Incredible), but I'm still not sure if it's the best starting place to spread the word about Lip.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, SSF2 has drastically improved from the original in terms of gameplay, it's very close to an official Smash Bros. game now.
The additions in terms of Nintendo characters have been characters from smaller series.
So Lip may actually be in the game playable, she fits the requirements of uniqueness easily.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I still don't think SSF2 is really the best place to start if we're going to get Lip more recognized. With the way she's designed and how the roster is, people might mistake her for yet another anime character instead of Panel de Pon's heroine.

----

So 4 U may be Sakurai's last Smash game. This news worries me. He's an admitted fan of Panel de Pon, so if he does step down and the series goes on without him, then Lip's fate in Smash Bros. is up to a company who couldn't give less of a crap about the franchise or its characters. I'm starting to doubt if we'll even see her wand again...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I still don't think SSF2 is really the best place to start if we're going to get Lip more recognized. With the way she's designed and how the roster is, people might mistake her for yet another anime character instead of Panel de Pon's heroine.

----

So 4 U may be Sakurai's last Smash game. This news worries me. He's an admitted fan of Panel de Pon, so if he does step down and the series goes on without him, then Lip's fate in Smash Bros. is up to a company who couldn't give less of a crap about the franchise or its characters. I'm starting to doubt if we'll even see her wand again...
Sakurai wasn't that interested in adding Lip as a playable character anyway, so honestly, it wouldn't really change much. The only hope of Lip in Smash is Nintendo not only bringing back the fairies, but localizing them.

Top Bottom