• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, despite what everyone else says, I personally think Lip (and Panel de Pon/Puzzle League in general) have a much better chance at being DLC for Smash 4 than Mario Kart 8, like I've oddly being hearing a lot of people suggest lately.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The least they could do is release a remake of the original Panel de Pon as an eShop game, but it should allow us to play as Sherbet, Ruby, and Neris in 1P mode.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, despite what everyone else says, I personally think Lip (and Panel de Pon/Puzzle League in general) have a much better chance at being DLC for Smash 4 than Mario Kart 8, like I've oddly being hearing a lot of people suggest lately.
I'm in agreement, although I still think its a slim chance at best. Mario Kart 8? No way that's happening, I don't know why people bring it up. Another decent option I COULD see is if the Diddy Kong Racing rumors pan out, I could see Lip chosen to cameo in that game (according to the rumors, it will feature stars from lesser known Nintendo franchises to replace the Rare characters). I was expecting Diddy to be MK8 DLC, but with that not happening (at least not yet) and OTHER franchises getting included, I'm openly expecting DKR2 to be coming now.

As for Lip, well, hopefully we get a new Panel de Pon game next year (for the 20th anniversary). I'd definitely buy it. It'd probably only be an eShop game, but I'd take it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I've heard of those Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors. I won't get my hopes up for several reasons:
  1. We all know how Nintendo's been treating Panel de Pon lately.
  2. For Lip to be in this DKR2, it would require two American companies - Retro Studios in Texas and Monster Games in Minnesota - to be familiar with a character who's rarely been seen outside of Japan.
  3. It's a rumor. An exciting rumor, but a rumor, and one that's somewhat derivative of Captain Rainbow at that. Don't take candy or rumors from strangers unless you know they're legit.
She'd certainly fit in with the setting of both Mario Kart 8 (I know it's unlikely, but I'm still holding out for it!) and Diddy Kong Racing much more than Link does, though. ^^;

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've heard of those Diddy Kong Racing 2 rumors. I won't get my hopes up for several reasons:
  1. We all know how Nintendo's been treating Panel de Pon lately.
  2. For Lip to be in this DKR2, it would require two American companies - Retro Studios in Texas and Monster Games in Minnesota - to be familiar with a character who's rarely been seen outside of Japan.
  3. It's a rumor. An exciting rumor, but a rumor, and one that's somewhat derivative of Captain Rainbow at that. Don't take candy or rumors from strangers unless you know they're legit.
She'd certainly fit in with the setting of both Mario Kart 8 (I know it's unlikely, but I'm still holding out for it!) and Diddy Kong Racing much more than Link does, though. ^^;
True. The rumor indicated that Dillon would be one, but I'm not sure where he's from. I never said I thought she would appear in it, though, just that I figured she'd be more likely for that than MK8.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Dillon is the eponymous character of Dillon's Rolling Western for the 3DS eShop.

Something I felt was interesting from the Kotaku article on the subject:

Amiibo's were critical in reviving NoJs interest in DKR2. internal forecasts show Amiibo's will sell like hotcakes and nintendo is going to make amiibos of nearly every franchise they have ever owned. one major objective of the game is to boost the popularity of lesser known franchises in order to push amiibos.
"Nearly every franchise they have ever owned"... would that include Panel de Pon?

Lip is certainly more likely to appear in Diddy Kong Racing 2 (if it's real) than in Mario Kart 8 as DLC, although she could still show up in either or even both.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
What they need is another really fleshed out Panel De Pon game like how Pokemon Puzzle League did it, albeit with a different but kind of cute story, and packed with all sorts of different modes. Something like "Panel De Pon: 20th Anniversary Edition" or "Panel De Pon REVIVAL" as a name, with detailed blocks (because the PPL ones were so pretty) and maybe crazy things like intricately detailed garbage blocks, stuff like that. I'd like to see a true vertical mode, instead of developers being lazy like in Dr. Mario/Puzzle League where they literally just rotated the screen 90 degrees. Just a lot of variety and content with tons of replyability, to make it sell or at least be one of those cult classic games with its own dedicated following

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dillon is the eponymous character of Dillon's Rolling Western for the 3DS eShop.

Something I felt was interesting from the Kotaku article on the subject:

"Nearly every franchise they have ever owned"... would that include Panel de Pon?

Lip is certainly more likely to appear in Diddy Kong Racing 2 (if it's real) than in Mario Kart 8 as DLC, although she could still show up in either or even both.
Sorry, when I said I don't know where Dillon is from, I meant I don't know if he was created in the west or in Japan. I know he's from Dillon's Rolling Western on the 3DS eShop, I just don't know the franchise's origins in general.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
Y'know what **** it, let's make our own super hype version of PDP, compatible with lots of USB controllers!!
Panel De Pon: Super Hype Edition.

In all seriousness though, that would be awesome. I haven't posted here in awhile, but I'd be totally willing to help out if you guys were to attempt something like this, though I can really only sketch and sprite decently haha.

vZakat

Half Genie
Honestly I'm fine with all the older versions. I never get bored of them. There's always a higher score to get...

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Panel De Pon: Super Hype Edition.

In all seriousness though, that would be awesome. I haven't posted here in awhile, but I'd be totally willing to help out if you guys were to attempt something like this, though I can really only sketch and sprite decently haha.
You should teach me how to sprite one day because I'm only good at Frankensteining for the most part.

What kind of modes would you like to see for a new PDP? 3D mode was HYPE in Pokemon Puzzle LEague

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
All the best parts of all of the other games in the series, of course. Use the SNES Panel de Pon as a template, add 3D mode and custom puzzles from Pokemon Puzzle League, garbage mode from Puzzle Challenge, 4-player multiplayer from the NPC version/sequel, items, online multiplayer, and some of the new modes from Planet/Express. On top of that, maybe add some new things, like an RPG-style story mode.

And keep the fairies, obviously!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pretty soon I'm gonna try and get that playthrough of Panel de Pon done I've been wanting to do for a while. I have the game and controller ready and I did a bit more practice in Tetris Attack. It probably won't be until this weekend, but I'll link to it from here, of course.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So I've been getting back to work on that Panel de Pon-themed SMW hack I mentioned a long while ago (I did mention it, right?). Here's some dev screenshots of level 4, and some sprite artwork:

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
It shouldn't be too difficult to make a Puzzle League clone in a Game Maker or something like that, right?

I mean, I wouldn't be able to make one for the life of me since I have no experience, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

At least we could get an Endless Mode fangame with better artwork of the fairies than the original.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It shouldn't be too difficult to make a Puzzle League clone in a Game Maker or something like that, right?

I mean, I wouldn't be able to make one for the life of me since I have no experience, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

At least we could get an Endless Mode fangame with better artwork of the fairies than the original.
Well, a Puzzle game would be easier to do for a first game than an RPG. I'll give it a try later.

vZakat

Half Genie
I feel like making the physics for the game would be a lot harder than just getting the concept of moving pieces and them falling into a fan game. I remember years ago someone was working on one but it ended up not getting finished. I was really looking forward to it too. :/

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel like making the physics for the game would be a lot harder than just getting the concept of moving pieces and them falling into a fan game. I remember years ago someone was working on one but it ended up not getting finished. I was really looking forward to it too. :/
Oh yeah, the Physics are the big problem. However, its something I can experiment with on the side. I can use an existing Physics engine as a basis.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
There's always Lithium Drop, for reference.

The basic physics are easy enough to replicate, but when you get to the one-frame exploits and all the various late swap/late drop tricks, physics get a bit weird.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The basic physics are easy enough to replicate, but when you get to the one-frame exploits and all the various late swap/late drop tricks, physics get a bit weird.
I'm not expecting this kind of thing to be easy at all, don't get me wrong. What I am expecting is this to be a nice challenge that would allow me to get some experience working with game dev that's not as detailed and take nearly as long as an RPG. I've been wanted to do a simpler game design, and the first thing I was thinking was a stealth puzzle game. But this idea has me intrigued now, I need to spend some more time fleshing out my world anyway before I can get started on an RPG.

So, I'll see if I can make this a pet project for a while.

Loïc

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2964-9447-9337
You should teach me how to sprite one day because I'm only good at Frankensteining for the most part.
I still have a lot of learning to do myself haha, but if you're really interested in learning there's a ton of pixel art tutorials scattered all over the internet. Frankensteining is a good way to familiarize yourself with the basics of spriting, too!

Also, am I the only one who thinks Lip would've fit in perfectly in that new 3DS commercial?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

You know, on the note of the swap/late drop tricks, I've never been able to master those kinds of things. Late drops I can kinda get sometimes, most when a block is dropping and I pull out another block just in time to make a chain above the block I pulled out, but those things are the parts I have trouble mastering, which is probably why I'm not as good as the guy who posted a video in her last week (or perhaps it was two weeks ago now).

Still, once I get some extra free time I'm going to do a playthrough of the original Panel de Pon, jumping straight into Hard Mode VS.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You can pretty easily mash swap-ins and the like, you only need to time stuff like true late drops (swapping a panel ABOVE two others of the same color right before they would fall from a clear, so they all fall and count as a chain link).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You can pretty easily mash swap-ins and the like, you only need to time stuff like true late drops (swapping a panel ABOVE two others of the same color right before they would fall from a clear, so they all fall and count as a chain link).
Yeah, this I can do as well, but only when I get lucky. The exact timing eludes me, and I can rarely get it down right. The main thing I can do is see chains already there and swap tiles quickly across the screen at lightning fast speeds, but getting timing things down is what causes problems for me.

And more recently, since I haven't played a lot recently, I've been having trouble noticing blocks around me that would cause a clear when I don't want it. I have a specific block that needs to get into a specific place to extend my chain, but I notice too late that there were two other blocks of the same color that destroy the block I'm trying to use to extend my chain.

I just haven't been able to play the game all that much in the past few years. I mean, I'm still amazing at the game, I'm just not quite as good as I used to be, and even then the timing of blocks falling always eluded me. :p If I had been able to get practice in over the past six years or so I probably would've been able to master timing as well.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The timing is basically JUST A BIT before the final panel clears (right after the final panel clears, you lose the ability to swap panels that are above the now empty space). You can see me use it here to prevent a pre-mature clearing of the greens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B-huwGJfmU#t=1m10s

At some point during my play I became overly reliant on that particular swap and would force it to be the only way to make a chain for two or three links in a row, lol.

vZakat

Half Genie
I was the one that posted the vid before. And since the subject came up, I'll post another vid of mine. :D

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Also, am I the only one who thinks Lip would've fit in perfectly in that new 3DS commercial?
No you are not. Kirby in particular really reminds me of a PDP character, Lip specifically with the brown hair and the wand and everything, although I'm sure he was supposed to be "copying" the girl in the commercial.

...Stop cockteasing us already, Nintendo. ><

I'm not expecting this kind of thing to be easy at all, don't get me wrong. What I am expecting is this to be a nice challenge that would allow me to get some experience working with game dev that's not as detailed and take nearly as long as an RPG.
I dunno about the RPGs taking a while part. You could knock something out in RPG Maker pretty quickly, although it probably won't be very good unless you're well-versed in the Ruby scripting language (or find some off the internet).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No you are not. Kirby in particular really reminds me of a PDP character, Lip specifically with the brown hair and the wand and everything, although I'm sure he was supposed to be "copying" the girl in the commercial.

...Stop cockteasing us already, Nintendo. ><

I dunno about the RPGs taking a while part. You could knock something out in RPG Maker pretty quickly, although it probably won't be very good unless you're well-versed in the Ruby scripting language (or find some off the internet).
I plan to do it all in HTML5. Although, I COULD do it in RPG Maker XP, I do have experience in RGSS (because I played around with RMXP a lot). The issue with an RPG taking a lot time to develop isn't about the engine itself, though. I've got most of the engine ready to go. The issue is length; that's a lot of stuff to program through and plan out.

A puzzle game, on the other hand, is a bit different. Once the engine is ready, you just need to design the menus and the basic gameplay and you've got it pretty much setup. The rest of it can be expanded on later. If you want to do specific things, such as new game modes, or redesigned map layouts, that can be gradually extended. An RPG is harder to handle, to really be able to put out an RPG it really needs to be fully completed.

A puzzle game just needs a basic time trial mode at first. It can be expanded to have new modes later, but time trial is all you need for a proper puzzle game. The problem with RPG's is, again, the length. The entire world needs to be created, playable characters need to be configured and giving proper stat boosts, it needs to be played through several times to properly balance everything out, etc. There's so much more to do with an RPG than a puzzle game.

As for things like music and graphics, I'd probably resort to Open Game Art for that. I've already found tons of great music.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To refresh Panel De Pon, perhaps you could get rewarded with amazing smooth animation of the two fairies fight each other (Sorta like Brain Age's type of movement). It would definitely feel like a new game IMO.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
well this is embarrassing, for the the past couple of weeks or so, I thought this thread disappeared! I'm glad to see all you guys are still here and kicking!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
well this is embarrassing, for the the past couple of weeks or so, I thought this thread disappeared! I'm glad to see all you guys are still here and kicking!
Well, its for general Panel de Pon discussion now.

EDIT: Speaking of Panel de Pon, finally played through the Translation Hack ROM. The one I got is by Zuqkeo. Went into the game and immediately jumped into playing 1P VS Hard Mode. The final boss music was way more epic than the final boss music in Tetris Attack, honestly. And the story was a tad bit better than I thought, although the plot twist ending was a bit... off.

I totally adore the stage art and sprites for all the fairies, though, far better than the sprites and art for Tetris Attack IMO. I did notice that the background music is almost completely identical, as is the menu and map. There's only a few stage themes different from Tetris Attack, despite using the same music for the most part (with the final boss stage music being the only unique one).

Ending spoilers:
I surprisingly liked the story all the way up until the ending. The "it was all a test" ending really grates me, honestly. That's the only part I disliked about the story. It was surprisingly dark at first, especially compared to Tetris Attack... up until the "oh, it was all an illusion" part. :p

And that's the part I read up on before playing the game, so I knew it was going to happen.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Oh! In terms of a fan made game, I always thought it would be amazing if there was an online multiplayer Panel De Pon. That seems like something that could easily be made, and something I've always wanted in a PdP game that we probably will never get from Nintendo....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh! In terms of a fan made game, I always thought it would be amazing if there was an online multiplayer Panel De Pon. That seems like something that could easily be made, and something I've always wanted in a PdP game that we probably will never get from Nintendo....
Online multiplayer might not be so easy to create, but it all depends. Online multiplayer in a PdP game would definitely be a very good feature, though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Online multiplayer might not be so easy to create, but it all depends. Online multiplayer in a PdP game would definitely be a very good feature, though.
Planet Puzzle League had online multiplayer. It's just that the game was so soulless that nobody cared about it.

Top Bottom